Username Post: Anybody working on anything this weekend & week?        (Topic#1576699)
anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southern lady

• southern lady]url=http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 5414941.html Said:

love the title & list, paper, smore thing & I loved getting that fire as a freebie

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
My box of scrappy happiness was on my porch when I pulled in from work today and right on top of that box was my Snapfish picture order! How perfect was that?!! As usual everything was packed perfect and came just as I had hoped. I am ready for some scrapping action-wrestling pages, basketball pages, track pages, school pages, Easter pages, Christmas pages...here I come!
I just wish I was able to score the free "I AM" tote bag that they are offering with orders today...missed it by just a few days and it is such a cute bag!

Congrats on your new order Your new photos too That is a good coincedence I love sports, school & holiday pages I can't wait to see all those pages sorry that you missed the cute tote

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Henri Jean

• Henri Jean Said:
Congratulations on the happiness bag! Sounds like you are ready for some serious scrapping now!

I'm scrapping a few family and granddaughter layouts by hand, then it is back to the digi scrapping again to finish a few more trips.

scrapping your grandbaby will sure be fun Have a good time

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to flhomeschoolmom

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
I'm not working on any scrapbooks this week, but I am beginning work on two "junk journals". One is for myself, the other is for my soon to be 14 yr. old niece. She journals, she reads, she scraps (sort of), she draws...I figured a "junk journal" would be perfect for her.

How wonderful to have a scrappy, artsy,niece

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
A "junk journal" is basically a smash book and traditional journal all rolled into one. It's made using things you have lying around your house pretty much. For my niece's, I'm starting with a composition book and altering it with odds and ends. Some borders are made with a magazine picture of eye shadow pots, some of the tags are made by adhering perfume bottles from magazine ads onto cardstock and tucking them into a holder (some open fold cards are made the same way so she can journal inside the cards), envelopes are made from old calendar pictures and/or magazine pages. The "junk journal" lets me use up scraps and parts of my scrapbooking stash that other wise isn't going to get used (some I've had for 5 years or longer). It also uses up other "junk". I have a MAJOR paper addiction and my addiction has gotten to the point that it borders on hoarding so I have to use up some stuff before my DH will get me more

You can find a lot of videos about junk journals on Youtube or by doing a google search. Hope this helps explain it a bit. For my own journal I'm going to bind the loose pages into an old book.

Those sure sound like a HUGE amount of fun
I am so thankful to have you tube & all the free lessons& tutorials

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
That really sounds perfect for a teenager! Or a pre-teen! And I always have scrap stuff left over and no idea what to do with it. I usually get a full basket of scraps and then donate them somewhere because I really am not good about going back and using them, no matter how nice they are.

I have a friend who does smash books and they really are lovely!

You are right.. perfect for a teen (or an adult lol)

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
I have one junk journal of my own already, but it has a specific use. I used the pages of an old encyclopedia index (good sturdy pages and all we had was the index and the cover was awful) to make a recipe junk journal. I made dividers from construction paper, a book cover from a cereal box, punched holes in it all and stuck it in a 3 ring binder (until it gets finished and I'm ready to bind it). Now ALL my gobs and gobs and gobs of clipped recipes have a place to go. I don't care that it isn't acid free because it's more about function and organization than anything else.

That sure sounds like a wonderful idea

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
That is a wonderful idea! I have collected recipes for 40 years and needed a system like this.

Most I have never made but didn't want to loose them and so they basically went into a box to be never seen again and it was impossible to find one I wanted.

I slowly started putting them in the computer but I hate doing that until I've tried it.

Now I'm making a nice scrapped recipe book for my mother but I could do something like this for the ones out of magazines and newspapers.

are you getting any farther on your moms ?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:

more fabulous pages & pics..... I was going to say cute monkeys but not after she was bit. I hope she is ok. t is so nice that you could see it with no tide to see everything it was gorgeous. I love the color you chose

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:

What a gorgeous beach. Her hand sure looks bad. I can't believe they had more monkeys for you. That was a wonderful group shot The gas cans are inttttersting

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

So good to see you back Linda. This thread was not the same without you - you were missed.

And welcome Christiscraps friend. If you would give us your name that would be awesome! I'm Henri (a female Henri - named after my father).

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 185 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 186 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

This is the oddest coffee I've ever heard of - can't believe the people actually drink it. In fact I can't believe several of the people in our group tried it but Bill and I passed on it.

World Cruise Page 187 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 188 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Got five more pages done yesterday - just ten pages left in my book for our trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter. After that, I have some normal scrapping to do, and also a baby album for a dear friend.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to aquabunny

well we are back from camping. we left Friday and got up to the camp site. the one we wanted someone was already camp at so we camp at the same one we did last year. so we got everything up the tent. then took the dogs to the river and they had a fun time chase the birds. my husband took lots of pic of them in the water. so we had hamburgers for dinner that night and then we had s mores. then Saturday we went look for some slow water at the river for the dogs seen they where so tired from yesterday. we couldn't find a place so we stay at the camp site and rest there and walk around. we had chicken for dinner then look like it was going to rain and it did so we had dinner in are tent. It rain hard for a bit and then after that it stop. Sunday woke up and start pack up and get everything. the tent was wet form they rain. so we had fun hope to go back out there again maybe my friend will be out here.

today have to go pay a bill and then off to the store and later on going to the gym and try to work on some layouts

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
So good to see you back Linda. This thread was not the same without you - you were missed.

And welcome Christiscraps friend. If you would give us your name that would be awesome! I'm Henri (a female Henri - named after my father).

Thanks hon I appreciate it

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
World Cruise Page 185 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 186 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

This is the oddest coffee I've ever heard of - can't believe the people actually drink it. In fact I can't believe several of the people in our group tried it but Bill and I passed on it.

World Cruise Page 187 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 188 Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

More amazing photos. More incredible stories I can't believe the coffee but I sure wouldn't drink it either. love the way you arranged the photos

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Got five more pages done yesterday - just ten pages left in my book for our trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter. After that, I have some normal scrapping to do, and also a baby album for a dear friend.

Hi Andrea congrats on getting the Harry Potter pages done. not much more to do..

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• southern lady Said:
well we are back from camping. we left Friday and got up to the camp site. the one we wanted someone was already camp at so we camp at the same one we did last year. so we got everything up the tent. then took the dogs to the river and they had a fun time chase the birds. my husband took lots of pic of them in the water. so we had hamburgers for dinner that night and then we had s mores. then Saturday we went look for some slow water at the river for the dogs seen they where so tired from yesterday. we couldn't find a place so we stay at the camp site and rest there and walk around. we had chicken for dinner then look like it was going to rain and it did so we had dinner in are tent. It rain hard for a bit and then after that it stop. Sunday woke up and start pack up and get everything. the tent was wet form they rain. so we had fun hope to go back out there again maybe my friend will be out here.

today have to go pay a bill and then off to the store and later on going to the gym and try to work on some layouts

Hi hon I am glad you had a great time camping I am sorry that you got rained out . It is great that you go to the gym

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have 2 cards to make Ang has a birthday in Aug. Today I printed out a cute cute vintage little girl cowgirl birthday card to make a card with. I also cut out a garden glove card for a old neighbor that loves gardening I cut it out out 2 weeks ago

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:

Those sure sound like a HUGE amount of fun
I am so thankful to have you tube & all the free lessons& tutorials

They can be a huge amount of fun, but I think my issue with creating them is that I ALWAYS over think them when I'm making them for someone else. I always find myself thinking "what if they don't like it?". This is especially true of my 14 yr. old niece because she's an extremely quiet girl. When she was younger she was very much a tom boy and she still despises the color pink and lacy frills. I know her favorite book genre is fantasy (like dragons) and she's "into" guitars.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to kiwichik69

• kiwichik69 Said:
Hi everyone...I'm a friend of Christiscraps61 and very new to forums. She has been telling me what a lovely bunch of ladies you are and I would love to jump in and join....this week I am working on a handmade box to give as a gift for a friend

Hi and welcome to our wonderful group! I'm Ali, and a homeschooling parent of two teen boys (my oldest turned 16 today). I'm on and off here depending on what crazy chaos is going on in my life, lol. During homeschool evaluation time things get crazier than usual.

So, what kind of a box are you working on? I work WITH boxes, but haven't made a box. I turn cardboard boxes into decorated and decked out dollhouses.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Hi Ali - welcome to the group! I admire anyone who is willing to sacrifice so much to be a homeschool mom!

I have a niece who homeschool her 3 (2,3 & 5 years old approx. and one due in Dec.)

She taught 3rd grade in the public schools and retired when she had her first child. She has part of her basement set up as a classroom and she teaches the kids 12 months a year. They are literally years ahead of public school and love to learn.

She takes it very seriously and loves every minute of teaching them.

When she was 3 my sister-in-law and I were watching them for about 15 minutes on Sunday afternoon and her mother told us she was working on shapes so it would be great if we would draw shapes for her to identify and kind of make a game of it if possible.

We drew hearts and squares and boxes and the child looked at the paper and looked really puzzled and said, "But where are the hexagons?

Homeschooled children are amazing!

I understand the chaos in a home with teenage boys!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Thank you for the welcome Henri Jean! I've been around for a few years, lol, but it's nice to know I'm still welcome.

I've been "officially" homeschooling since August of 2004 when my now 16 yr. old son began Kindergarten. But technically I've been homeschooling since my boys were born. I truly enjoy educating my children and WISH that I had a room that I could devote to "just school". Instead, our entire house and yard are my "classroom". I'm very fortunate that my oldest son LOVES maps because that gives me a place to "display" my world map as well as a map of the United States. Unfortunately, my two boys share a bedroom and my 14 yr. old is not as happy with the two maps. My kitchen is my science lab (unless things get too messy and then it's off to the back patio). I have two TV trays that are pretty much ALWAYS set up in my living room but since they are wood they don't look bad. Our "reading nooks" are: the sofa, the recliner, our beds (boys have bunk beds), the floor of various rooms, and an outdoor swing.

My oldest son has Asperger Syndrome, so that's a huge reason why my family decided to homeschool. His Asperger's has posed some wonderful learning periods due to obsessions. Between the ages of 2 and 6 he was obsessed with letters, numbers, shapes and colors. Between 6 and 12 he was obsessed with astronomy and maps and his favorite reading material was encyclopedias and the Bible. So far between the ages of 12 and 16 the obsessions are harder to specifically pin point and can vary from day to day. He still likes maps, books by J.R.R. Tolken, creating video games, and he's recently taken up writing a "novel".

My youngest son is a whole other ball game. He struggled with dyslexia when he was younger, but for some reason that child has always hated "school" no matter what approach I take to teaching. And sadly, even at 14 trying to get him to read a book is about like pulling teeth.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

christmas card By Southern Lady

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

My niece picks a topic every week and they jump into it. One week was apples. They learned the science of apples, health and apples, they planted an apple tree. They went to an orchard and picked apples. They used apples for counting in math and even learned about Johnny Appleseed. She incorporated it into everything and the kids knew everything about apples.

They just had a space week and all the studies - science, history, math - it all went around space.

They do all the subjects every day but get with a lot of other homeschool moms and kids for a lot of field trips.

My uncle was a single (Divorced) parent with custody of their youngest when since he was 2. He owned his own business and took him to work with him and really spent time with him. Child services came out and said he needed to be in a real first grade, not tagging along with his dad.

He was put in public first grade and was bored to death. Right across the board he tested advanced 3rd grade in most everything and 4-5th grade in reading. My uncle didn't want him in classes 3 years younger than other kids so he went back to home schooling.

At 5 years old my uncle bought him some stocks and taught him about the stock market. Mom said the little guy was so cute - he would go into my parent's shop and pick up the paper and go right to the stock market pages and say, "Hey granny, look at my stock today! It want up 2% and he would tell her how much he made. This is a 5 year old!

I lent my mother a book when he was 5 - "90 MInutes in Heaven". I love that book - no picture but not real long. I read it in one afternoon. The 5 year old saw it on my mom's table and said, "I would love to read this - may I borrow it?". He brought it back the next day - had read it and sat down and they talked about it.

I will never say that all homeschool parents do the best job. I've seen people try it and find they are not cut out for home schooling. It takes a special kind of parent to be able to do it and really enjoy teaching and follow through with the lessons.

But those who really work with their children and enjoy teaching them - the kids really excel and benefit!

If I had it to do over I would try home schooling. I don't know if I have what it takes told to do it well, but I wish I had tried. However, my youngest is almost 40 - no one even considered home schooling back then.

It sounds like it is really working well for your family. But some kids love to read - other don't enjoy it no matter what you do. Everyone just has different interests and abilities. I always hated maps - you are lucky to have one who enjoys maps. To this day I can't follow a map - I'll get lost!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 189 - Bali, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 190 - Bali, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 191 - Bali, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 192 - Bali, Indonesia By Henri Jean

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

Attachment: tableroom.jpg (6.14 MB) 16 View(s)

Attachment: room.jpg (6.84 MB) 14 View(s)

My weekend consisted of moving my daughter out of the house, my son to her old room and getting my craft room/space all to myself. I went out and bought a 6ft table to add to it for more workspace and I'm in love. Unfortunately, my dishwasher died last night and I had to take care of that so I haven't been able to play in my new space yet but hopefully will soon!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Joanie R

camp By Southern Lady

camp By Southern Lady

Expert

Hi Everyone,
Henri, I wouldn't be drinking that coffee either!
Joanie, love your new room, hope you get to play in there soon.
Danielle, love your camping layouts, glad you had a good time.
We loved camping a lot when our kids where younger, then they went through a few years of not wanting to go. They have asked recently to go camping for the week-end, so we might go when the weather warms up a bit here.
Hi Ali, my boys are much the same age as your boys 14 & 17.
I take my hat off to you homeschooling! Life is chaotic with teenagers!

Edited by christiscraps61 on 07-21-15 01:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to christiscraps61

Oh Joanie - I love all your space for scrapping! I would be in heaven. My husband and I share the extra bedroom - his desk and my scrap stuff. I usually enjoy sharing the space with him but sometimes I wish I had more room to spread out and store my stuff!

Tenant

Hi Ali...thank you for the warm welcome...I am still trying to get the hang of replying to a certain post...arrgg! ...lol
What a fantastic job you must do with home schooling...I had never been brave enough to do it...well done and happy belated birthday to your son...
I love to make boxes from scratch...sometimes I will go and buy a particular box, look at it and re-design it to suit me...This box I am working on was given to a friend of mine and is gorgeous. It is chipboard based, covered with paper and has a hinged lid...I will post a photo of it when I am finished - hopefully by the end of the week...

Edited by kiwichik69 on 07-21-15 02:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World cruise page 193 - Bali Indonesia By Henri Jean

World cruise page 194 - Bali, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World cruise page 194 - Semarang, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World cruise page 195 - Jakarta, Indonesia By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

In the boys early grades, we did much the same thing that your niece does. We would focus on a topic a week, or unit studies as it's often called in the homeschooling world. I loved doing unit studies (and still enjoy them). However, with one child going into 11th grade and the other heading into 9th grade next month, it's a whole different ball game now.

Due to educational requirements for high school and credits for transcripts so that my boys will hopefully at least go to community college, it's harder to do unit studies and there's a lot of "required" things. A benefit to high school is the two chosen electives, those are the two classes that the boys actually get to CHOOSE what they want to learn about. Over the past couple of years my oldest has chosen photography and journalism. Thus, he's on the yearbook staff. The lady that was heading up the yearbook group resigned in May when her daughter finished school, and yours truly got voted to be the new adult in charge of the yearbook committee. Thankfully, the local library is only 2 blocks from my house and they will willingly let the group meet there. I've done this before (several years ago) and thus realized that the traditional scrapbooking approach posed a lot of headaches. There was too much for the kids to pick and choose from, a lot of parents didn't want to help with supplies, etc. So this year, we are doing a project life approach. I've made quite a few cards, but still have to get more. The downside is that only one side of the cards will ever be seen because they are attached to a sheet of paper, along with any photos, etc. and then ran through a scanner to produce the finished yearbook image page. But this also helps take care of any issues about something the kids want to use not being acid free.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

I love the money in Indonesia, that is so pretty. And the stone carving of the elephant is beautiful. One photo of things a lady was selling however made me think "oh my word". LOL. Things that I suppose a lot of us in the US think are "taboo", or whatever aren't in other parts of the world.

I am so ready to attempt to escape this Florida heat and go on a vacation. I love to travel.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

• kiwichik69 Said:
Hi Ali...thank you for the warm welcome...I am still trying to get the hang of replying to a certain post...arrgg! ...lol
What a fantastic job you must do with home schooling...I had never been brave enough to do it...well done and happy belated birthday to your son...
I love to make boxes from scratch...sometimes I will go and buy a particular box, look at it and re-design it to suit me...This box I am working on was given to a friend of mine and is gorgeous. It is chipboard based, covered with paper and has a hinged lid...I will post a photo of it when I am finished - hopefully by the end of the week...

It can be difficult to respond to a specific post. If a post is short, you can always quote it like I did this one. If not, you can just address your reply to the person who made the post.

Often on this thread, you will see people reference several posts in one reply, that works too. And sometimes we just jump in and say what we need to

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I probably shouldn't have posted the layout you mentioned. It was removed - I didn't think about it because we saw those carvings all over Bali and Indonesia. I would have never bought one but was still part of their culture so I did want to capture it in my scrapbook.

I am so sorry if I offended you - certainly not my intent! I just can't imagine buying that and bringing it home to display in my house but a lot of the other tourists did. I basically said, "Oh my" when I saw them too! Then it made me giggle.

That is part of the fascination of other countries. There are so many things that make me say, "Oh my!"

When we went to Papua New Guinea and Yap, Micronesia - there were a lot of "oh my's!". The woman dress like they do in National Geographic. Grass-type skirt, flowers around their necks and that is it! No shoes, no tops. This is what you see in the grocery stores and all over the island. When we stepped off the ship and went into the tourist information booth to find the women giving out maps and sightseeing information dressed like that - it was a huge "Oh my" for me!

Expert

Now I am all curious as to the layout you removed Henri lol. But I will use my imagination......
See, I miss all the action living on the other side of the world, it all happens while I'm sleeping

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

• Henri Jean Said:
I probably shouldn't have posted the layout you mentioned. It was removed - I didn't think about it because we saw those carvings all over Bali and Indonesia. I would have never bought one but was still part of their culture so I did want to capture it in my scrapbook.

I am so sorry if I offended you - certainly not my intent! I just can't imagine buying that and bringing it home to display in my house but a lot of the other tourists did. I basically said, "Oh my" when I saw them too! Then it made me giggle.

That is part of the fascination of other countries. There are so many things that make me say, "Oh my!"

When we went to Papua New Guinea and Yap, Micronesia - there were a lot of "oh my's!". The woman dress like they do in National Geographic. Grass-type skirt, flowers around their necks and that is it! No shoes, no tops. This is what you see in the grocery stores and all over the island. When we stepped off the ship and went into the tourist information booth to find the women giving out maps and sightseeing information dressed like that - it was a huge "Oh my" for me!

No, don't worry you did not at all offend me. It's not easy to offend me and one of my favorite TV shows used to be Taboo. I think that the differences in various cultures is interesting, and some cultures worship things that others consider "taboo". In some societies, it's often a symbol used for good fertility in a marriage and such things.

I'd love to be able to travel to some other parts of the world, not all, but some. Right now Italy, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Easter Island and oddly the Galapagos Islands are captivating me and making me drool. So, sometimes I content myself with watching documentaries and travel videos on such places.

My family hasn't taken a vacation since December of 2007 and that one was a major disaster. We went traveling with my MIL, SIL, a niece and two nephews. My MIL planned the trip and we went to the Holy Land Experience in Orlando, ALL of the children hated the place so we had 5 kids constantly complaining. Since it was close to New Year's, all of the hotel rooms IN Orlando were booked up so we ended up having to go to Kissamee to get a hotel room. Not a fun trip.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

Camping By Southern Lady

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

The layout - in markets they love to sell wood carvings. Several of the vendors in the markets we visited had carved rather intricate "man parts" to put it really delicately. It was just odd seeing table after table of them in the markets.

Scrapbook.com said it was in my private gallery but I do not know how to access there. I looked for it but it isn't in any of my albums. So maybe it isn't there.

At any rate, it was bad judgment on my part for posting it.

All of the places you list are fascinating places. When you go to Easter Island though the planes only fly there once a week so if you fly in, you are there a week and it isn't a place to spend a week. We saw every statue on Easter Island in one day with time left over.

Cruise ship is the ideal way to see it but there are problems there. It is the most remote or second remote island in the world, don't remember which so very few cruises go there. We went on a world cruise last year that did stop there.

The other problem - the sea can be very calm but there is no dock that will accommodate anything larger than a tender boat. As the tender boat gets closer the waters get rough and smash against the waves. They always send out one tender to test it and sometimes it can dock, sometimes it can't.

We've known people who have taken 2 or 3 cruises there and not been able to get off the ship because of the waves crashing into the rocks. We were able to go - we were lucky but several of our tenders had to be repaired afterwards.

The year before they were able to stop there but after 2 hours on shore the waves started getting rough and they had to blast the horn and get everybody back quickly.

Never been to Galapagos Islands but my husband has and enjoyed it. He said that is one place where you want to be able to spend time because there are so many little islands and all have different wildlife.

England, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia - all wonderful places to go for vacation.

I love places like those - so clean and pretty - no language barrier. Even in Ireland, everyone seems to speak English.

But I've really learned to enjoy the places that are culturally different. My favorite place to visit - or one of my favorite places is Egypt.

That vacation doesn't sound like it was good for your family. I have friends who love the Holy Land Experience (I've never been) but it does sound like a place that would not be on a child's bucket list. And what an inconvenience to have to o all the way to Kissimmee for a hotel room with 5 unhappy kids.

Sounds like your group really needs a nice vacation now to make up for the disaster vacation!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

The Holy Land Experience in Orlando is nice, I think it would be ideal for teenagers and up. However, the children that were on the trip with us were: 11, 14 (a very immature 14 yr. old), 8, and two 6 yr. olds. There weren't many things for the children to actually DO in any sort of active manner, but there was tons of things to see.

I definitely know that I will not be taking a trip outside of the United States until after BOTH of my boys are grown and I'm no longer homeschooling. Homeschooling the higher grades is expensive, lol. When I complain about us not being able to take a vacation my husband laughs and says, "Our vacation fund goes to the boys schooling". He's right, but I wouldn't change it. I enjoy being with my boys, I enjoy teaching my boys, and I have found them both to be VERY interesting people. It's a bit "weird" when my family sits around and has political discussions, most teens don't really get "into" learning about various candidates and things, but mine do and mine seem to enjoy debating about the various politicians. There views on National and World news is interesting also.

When fall arrives my DH is wanting us to go camping again. We attempted to go, just the husband and myself, last year for the anniversary of when we met. However, my husband failed to check out the new tent he bought on Ebay. It WAS a new tent, and it did state that it was a 2-3 person tent, and it did have the instructions. BUT...1) the instructions were in Japanese, 2) it was actually big enough for perhaps 2 CHILDREN. I could fit inside the tent and lie down, but just barely. My head was at one end of the tent and my feet were at the other. My husband, who is a foot taller than myself and a bigger build than myself could not fit inside the tent. So, we hung out at the campsite and walked around the park until night fall and then we came home. LOL.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I see people taking trips and cruises all the time and some of the kids enjoy it and some don't.

Even with adults - some love to travel and see things, other do not like travelling. My mother hates to travel as do both of my brothers.

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right with your boys. Their schooling does come first. There is plenty of time later for travelling.

When I was 57 I had only been to 4 or 5 states in the US (except when moving from Florida to California we drove across the country to our new home). I got a passport and left the US for the first time at 57. I went on a cruise to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Acapulco. (May have been another port in there - not sure).

Then I didn't go anywhere again until I was almost 60! So there is plenty of times for travelling later. The schooling is so much more important now.

Its good that your boys are able to discuss such advanced topics and understand what is going on in the world. So many teenagers today are clueless. Of course, so are so many adults.

I love it on the news when they talk to people on the streets, both adults and teenagers and the answers are just so stupid they are out of the park.

They showed pictures of JFK on day and a lot of people couldn't identify him! When they ask simple history questions or options on politics - it is hysterical but truth is, it is really sad that people are so ignorant.

My ex-husband (father to both of my children) was a morning drive disc jockey for most of his life until he was 40's - then he became a congressional speechwriter. He then went on to become a California Assemblyman for the largest district in California for 8 years (2 terms) so my kids have been around politics. My oldest is very knowledgeable and always has been when discussing politics.

My youngest isn't that interested. He loves art and music, is going into graphic design and likes the more creative things in life and is a straight A student in college. He's great with computers and anything technical and wants a career combining computers and art. He really picked up his father's grammar and diction and it has served him well in college - especially or presentations and oral reports.

My oldest is an IT guy for Yahama and likes deep discussions on anything. Doesn't much matter the topic.

Hard to believe to boys came from the same parents and are so different!

You don't seem to have good luck with vacations right now. Hopefully, this will pass! What a disastrous camping trip! That didn't work out for you at all. Its easy to buy things on eBay that aren't what you expect!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

campping By Southern Lady

one of my dogs trying to get the bird out of the tree

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 198 Jakarta, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 199 - Jarkata, Indonesia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 200 By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 201 - Singapore By Henri Jean

shygypsy
Resident
shygypsy

Henri,

I absolutely love seeing your traveling layouts! They are fabulous.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

WOW, what an amazing sunset! I just love that photo. And I truly enjoy seeing your traveling LO's, they are so nice and very interesting.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thank you for the compliments on my layouts!

This was my first try at digi-scrapping and I must say that I love it! I will still do regular layouts for grandkids and holidays but for travel - its digi-scrapping now. I have a little scanner that goes in my carry-on luggage and its so easy to scan and scrap on the ship. Really convenient and gives me something to do after dinner while Bill is playing chess and on sea days when he plays chess all day. (He takes breaks from playing chess and we play trivia twice a day.)

I know I way over-journal but I want to remember the stories behind the pictures so the format works for me.

The layouts I'm posting are the 2015 world cruise. Now I have a few more family things to scrap, like 2013 Thanksgiving, then I am starting on the 2014 world cruise.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thank you for the compliments on my layouts!

This was my first try at digi-scrapping and I must say that I love it! I will still do regular layouts for grandkids and holidays but for travel - its digi-scrapping now. I have a little scanner that goes in my carry-on luggage and its so easy to scan and scrap on the ship. Really convenient and gives me something to do after dinner while Bill is playing chess and on sea days when he plays chess all day. (He takes breaks from playing chess and we play trivia twice a day.)

I know I way over-journal but I want to remember the stories behind the pictures so the format works for me.

The layouts I'm posting are the 2015 world cruise. Now I have a few more family things to scrap, like 2013 Thanksgiving, then I am starting on the 2014 world cruise.

Tenant

Hi ladies...here is my finished box I have been working on with a friend of mine...yes Christiescraps61 & I have been working on this project together. Hopefully she will post hers soon.

side of the box By Kiwichik69

Edited by kiwichik69 on 07-24-15 10:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

That is absolutely adorable! I've been working on a junk journal lately, but haven't gotten around to taking any pictures of it yet, lol.

Expert

Handmade gift box By Christiscraps61
This is the box I made this week. Kiwichik and I had a great day crafting.
Ali, I am looking forward to seeing your junk journal.
Henri, I love "traveling" around by reading your layouts and looking at the photos.
I meant to tell you, I love the idea you have of including the paper currency of the countries on the layouts. It is very interesting to see all the different notes.
Danielle, great camping layout

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Love this box! I can just see that sitting in a living room or old fashioned parlor! So elegant. Very pretty!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise - Page 202 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 203 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 204 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 205 - Singapore By Henri Jean

shygypsy
Resident
shygypsy

Henri,

Do you remember the thread where you posted tips for using cricut. I remember someone saying that started putting a book together (for herself) of all your tips.

akiko

Expert

Thanks Henri, the box was fun to make.
The photos of all the flowers are exquisite!
That would have been a lovely way to spend a day....and no monkeys

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

No monkeys at all in Singapore - although we did see them in the zoo the last time we were there.

The next time we are in Singapore I really want to do breakfast with the orangutans. You actually sit at the table with them. I talked to one women who did that and a mama orangutan was sitting next to her and let her pet her baby.

I'm a bit scared of the breakfast with the orangutans but it would be an experience so I think I should do it. Problem is that it is not near the ship and so if the ship docks mid-morning you can't do it.

If the ship stays overnight you can do it the second morning, provided the ship doesn't leave to early in the afternoon. Makes it difficult to schedule.

Right now we are planning to be back in Singapore in October so maybe it will work out this time. We will be getting off a cruise ship there so it will be no problem to spend a few extra days.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Henri, the photos of the flowers are exquisite. I'm very much of a nature person, so I just love things like that. The breakfast with the Orangutans sounds fabulous, I'd love to be able to pet a baby one.

Christascraps, I'm actually working on two junk journals at the same time. One is for myself, the other is for my 14 yr. old niece. And I must say that the one for my niece is posing some problems. I opted to use a composition book as the base and did not realize how thin those pages actually are, they wrinkle and warp so easily. I truly hope she doesn't mind because it's a bit too late to start over now. The other issue I'm having is mismatched letters. I've stared at them for days thinking "how can I make this work without it looking tacky?" and I think I've come up with an idea of making all the wording that I put into her junk journal look like a ransom note I was concerned at first about what would happen if she decided to add photos to the pages, but while sorting through "junk" that I don't/won't use I found a solution. I have 12x12 photo sheets from a photo album that one of my BIL's ex-wives gave me. I liked the album the sheets were in, but hated those sheets so I stripped them all out and put them in a box. When looking at them (ok, they fell out on top of my head while pulling something off of my closet shelf) I had an "ah ha" moment and thought..."I'll cut out the photo sleeves and attach the sleeves to some of the pages". The photo sheets are acid free and archive safe, and they are sleeves that you slide the photos in so the plastic on the front will help to protect any photos from the questionable material in the journal.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thank you for the compliment on the flower photos. I have quite a few more pages of "just flowers" to post.

Sounds like the scrapbook protector sleeves will be perfect for the junk journal for your niece. I didn't remember te composition books as having such thin pages but now that you mention it.

Do students still use those? I can picture the black and white covers so vividly.

I have been pulling out all my new papers that I like best (I have over 3,000 sheets of patterned paper) and scanning it in 4 sections, photoshop stitching it back together and putting them into my digital supply files so I can use them over and over.

While they are scanning and while I'm stitching them I'm making physical paper and trimmer layouts of last Thanksgiving.

I just have so many papers that I love and I want to use them for digital scrapping too.

Also, any physical layouts I do, I'm scanning and stitching the paper first so I can use and reuse the paper.

Truthfully, I'm finding tons of striped, solid, dotted and other digital paper patterns but I can't find themed papers in digital nearly as well as I can in real paper. For example, we spent a half-day in Washington last year and I wanted something
Just right" for the Lincoln Memorial. In my paper stuff I had paper with the Lincoln Memorial on it so I just scanned it in. Same thing with the Iwo Jima Memorial - had great physical paper for that too so I scanned it in. I just bought papers for McDonald's with McDonald's logos on them! Just scanned in an adorable zoo paper with a big crate on it and "Live Animals" and "Handle With Care" all over it.

There is so much more paper selection of travel papers - themed for specific countries or states. I also have around 2,000-3,000 die cuts and I'm scanning those as I use them - not going through and getting them all. If I catch up on my scrapping - I may do that.

I went through the computer files of things to be scrapped and there are just over 4,000 photos I haven't done yet.

I have them in proper files in my computer and then I have a "To Be Scrapped" file which all pictures go in - in order and I start at the top of the pictures in that file and work my way down.

RIght now I'm going through all of them (almost 1/3 through in the past couple weeks) and adding the paper I want to the pictures and die cuts and embellies. I'm also scanning in all tickets and momentos that goes with those pictures and putting those in order in the big giant file with those pictures so when I get to the digi-scrapping, all papers and scanned stuff and photos are in order in the giant file.

I have another file labeled "Scrapping Now" and I take a digital hand full of pictures, paper, momentous and move them into that file so I have a file of just what I'm current working on digitally. That way, I'm not overwhelmed and only have 8-10, maybe 15 pictures and things at a time.

Now, when we go on our next trip I can scrap at night an I just work through the file. Don't need ticket stubs and papers that are at home.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Yes, students do still use those composition books, but they are not nearly in as high of demand as they used to be. Most teachers don't want their students to use them because they come apart if the pages are torn out. However, some Language Arts teachers still use them for student journals. My boys use them for specific things like creative writing, a specific time period in history, etc. Most teachers now want students to use 3 ring binders and loose leaf paper. I'm aware of this because there was one year that my niece was required to have 6 one inch 3 ring binders and her mom could only find 3 when she bought her school supplies, as a result, my niece asked me "Aunt Alicia, do you have any extra 3 ring binders that you're not using?" She knows that I hoard them. Well, I don't really hoard them, but I do keep any that are still in good shape from year to year. I have to use them for Student Portfolio's for the boys homeschooling so that requires 1 binder per child per year and then 1 additional binder for "teacher files" such as attendance sheets, lesson plans, etc. Since all 3 have to be kept in tact for 2 years following evaluations, I condense them after the evaluation into one 3-4 inch binder and then reuse the smaller binders. My boys also have binders for specific subjects such as math, language arts, science, etc. And every 9 weeks I go through them and pull out work samples for the portfolios.

My DH tried to get me into doing digital scrapping, but it just never worked. I have a massive hoard of digital papers, embellishments, letters, etc. that I honestly don't know if I'll ever use. I'm very much a hands on scrapper, but some of the digital stuff is so pretty that I refuse to delete it. I've thought about playing with some of it and some of my husband's genealogy photos and documents and creating a digital "book" for him, but I don't know. My DH doesn't grasp the concept of scrapbooking, to him it ruins pictures. But his family is weird, they believe that photos should be stuffed into tin cans and cardboard boxes. I disagree, so if we get any pictures developed or printed now, I insist of getting double prints. He can stash away his copies and I'll scrapbook my copies.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Sounds like the perfect solution for the photos - a set of photos for you and one for him!

I never ever thought I would digi-scrap but my husband and I travel a ridiculous amount of the time and I can't drag paper and supplies everywhere.

When we took our world cruise this year for 4 months I downloaded My Memories before we went. I figured it out on the first night of the cruise in about 4 hours and was making pages. After that, I really enjoyed keeping up with it on sea days and at night while my husband was playing chess.

I will keep doing the family stuff and grandkids stuff with paper and trimmer but for travelling, I love the convenience of being able to scrap digitally. So many travel memories I want to keep and since I have them all put into Shutterfly books about 100 pages each (I have 26 printed already and about 10 more "in process" and then they will be printed).

I think the thing that really got me turned around to digi-scrapping was when I looked at my bookshelves and realized I could not find room for one more scrapbook! We were running over with finished scrapbooks and now with digi-scrapbooks (12 x 12) - every page I've ever done with paper and trimmer is now scanned and is in one of the hardbound books in chronological order). I only kept my favorite pages in paper form which are in condensed books of just my favorites.

I find I don't mind giving my original paper-trimmer copies away since they are also in my Shutterfly books. I took the 20 pages about my son's brain surgery 2 years ago and made a scrapbook for him of all my memories and things when he went through his surgery and made a book for him of original pages which he treasures. It was a great gift and I have also have all the pages in my Shutterfly books. He just has the originals.

Now I don't mind putting the pretty original pages of the granddaughters in their books to give to them because I have the Shutterfly pages of them in my books.

I did keep about 15 scrapbooks of original of some of my favorite travel pages and animal pages and other pages that mean a lot to us. I also kept the original book about when we were dating as teenagers and got married although those pages are also in chronological order in Shutterfly. I still won't part with those originals.

I could see myself in a couple years with hundreds of scrapbooks and not being able to find anything. Now I just have my favorite books of originals and the Shutterfly books are a matched 26 volume set and growing but each book is thin compared to a scrapbook. My favorite layout from each book is on the front cover and the back has a content page which lists what is in it and a few more photos. I love designing the content pages by hand and using lots of punches..

On the spine of each one is a list of states or countries inside or a specific vacation like "Vacation in the Florida Keys" so I can find anything because its on the spine of the books.

We had company last week and we had been on a cruise together in 2011 to Russia, all over Asia and Vietnam and to Australia. They wanted to see the books and I was able to look on the spine and pull those 3 books in seconds. In my other scrapbooks, I don't know if I ever would have found them. Plus that trip was almost 10 full scrapbooks before and is now 3 thin Shutterfly books.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 206 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 207 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 208 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 209 - Singapore By Henri Jean

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

hello there

well next Saturday I am going to a crop at the big city and bring my cameo with me. this will be my first time doing it. I am going to try to work on some layouts of my dogs in the river while we camp. bring a big bag of potatoes for one of the ladies. tomorrow I am going to get my hair done finally.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

camp trip By Southern Lady

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World cruise Page 210 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World cruise Page 211 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World cruise Page 212 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World cruise Page 210 - Singapore By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Henri Jean, those pages are absolutely gorgeous! Were you at a botanical garden? I just love all of the beautiful flowers and that waterfall is amazing.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Yes - this is the Garden by the Bay in Singapore. It was amazing! There are sections of the garden for different countries and I've never seen so man beautiful flowers. I'd heard of this place and every time we've gone to Singapore in the past we always found other things to do. This time we decided - we are going to see the garden. The garden is all under one massive dome and there is a second dome which is called the cloud and has the 7-story waterfall and all the orchids and tropical plants.

We will probably be back in Singapore In a couple months and there is an orchid garden I want to see. I've heard it is spectacular too!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 213 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 214 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 215 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 216 - Singapore By Henri Jean

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 217 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 218 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 219 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 220 - Singapore By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Henri Jean, it looks like you two had an amazing amount of fun on your cruise! The Universal Theme Park looked like a blast, but I'm still finding myself oohing and ahhing over your flower pictures the most, lol.

I'm still working on my niece's junk journal, but finding myself getting VERY frustrated. Part of my issue is lack of time to actually craft, another issue is that in my paper scraps I have gobs upon gobs of pink stuff...but this is one girl who despises the color pink. What she loves is sea green, teal, sky blue, aquamarine, black...nothing that would really be considered "girly" as far as colors are concerned. And of the colors she likes, I'm struggling to find the right mix to "jazz up" the book. I mean lets face it, lined writing paper in a composition book is boring. I'm now at a point of thinking...what if I mix various colors of acrylic paints and paint some of the sheets, lol.

But, on a better note (I suppose) my younger sister saw what I was working on and has put in a request for me to make HER 10 yr. old daughter one. AHHHH! The positive side, that girl does like pink. The not so positive side is that her brothers would actually get jealous of such a book and I have no clue how to make a "junk journal" for 8 and 7 yr. old boys. I don't even have any good magazine cut outs for kids who are 10, 8, or 7...lol.

Expert

Sounds like you're going to be very busy on Junk journals for a while Ali
Henri, you're braver than me, I think my roller coaster days are well behind me. I do love reading about your travels!
Danielle, love your camping layouts! That hammock looks so comfy!
I am in awe of how quick you get to your pages. It takes me ages to get around to printing out the photos, and even longer to get around to scrapping them.

Edited by christiscraps61 on 07-29-15 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08

Henri, I've been going back a bit in threads and reading. I'm really interested in your use of the My Memories program for scrapping while you travel! We aren't quite there (yet), but I can foresee a time when being able to scrap while we're away from our "base camp" would be a terrific option! And I'm not a Photoshop fan. Thanks for sharing the details and information!

As for what I'm up to - 15yo DD is gone all of tomorrow for a sleepover. It's not often we are childless mid-week (or any day, actually), so I've tried to plan what to do with my "free" time. *giggle - free time!*

Last weekend, I started reorganizing my embellishments. I've always love the method of organization described in the "Scrap Rack" Totally Tiffany lessons - in fact, I had something similar going, but she and I think alike about organization. I simply have *NO* room for that system. My scrapbooking supplies have to be put away in the pantry at the end of a session. I usually scrap on weekends at home, when I plan to take over the kitchen entirely - we don't have any other large flat surface - not even a dining table.

I ended up using a series of 3 ring binders with 8.5x11 sheet protectors and my new Fuse tool to create appropriate pockets. I used to do a LOT of ATCs as well, so had a bunch of trading card pockets (9 squares per 8.5x11 sheet) which were useful as well. The whole thing seems promising - it's better than what I had, which was organized, but not terribly viewable.

So, tomorrow is to complete that project (I've decided to add other flat embellishments stored otherwise), while cleaning off a shelf (perhaps to arrange for paper storage...) and repurposing storage boxes and the like. I'll probably scrap at the end of it - if there's time. If not, that will happen Saturday and Sunday.

If curiosity kills the cat, I think there's storage photos in my gallery from a year or so ago. Not much has changed, but I should update them.

ETA: scratch that. I've *really* changed things since then. But I'll wait until I've finished working tomorrow....!

Edited by Mingo08 on 07-29-15 02:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Mingo08

Mingo, you sound a bit like me...no dining room table....and most of the time not kid free. I homeschool, so I see a whole lot of my wonderful sons on their good days, bad days and everything in between. And as for my scrapbook/craft organizing....we won't go there.

Two years ago, my youngest son had his tonsils out. Most kids get to enjoy being out of school during such an event, but not him. Technically, I was not making him do school work...he WAS heavily medicated with pain meds and antibiotics and he couldn't talk for a week. However, he still had "school", or some subjects anyways. I figured that if he was awake, and he wanted to occupy the sofa, then he might as well watch the documentaries for history and science and he could listen in on the literature study even if he couldn't help read it (we do lit studies where both boys often cover the same book). I found that if these "classes" occurred shortly after having to give him medicine for pain, he tended to fall asleep BUT if I waited until he woke up to cover those subjects then...well...he technically still had school and he had enough subjects that I didn't have to mark him "absent". BTW, how is a homeschooled child ever "absent"? I mean, even if they are sick...aren't they still home and "present and accounted for"?

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08

We homeschool as well! I don't bother with "absent" as a designation. We either have "countable" school days, or we don't. Our state only requires us to keep attendance records (we don't report them unless asked in writing, which has never happened.) So, if school didn't happen, it's just a blank. We don't take summer "off" though, so school happens more than the required 180 days.

But with two students in the mix, it's tough to figure what to do when one is "out" and the other is there, I'm sure!

It's funny, when DD was younger I fretted about those things more - and there was really less to be concerned about! Now, I count a school day as any day we do math, language, and one other core subject (PE doesn't count.) *Unless* she's involved in a theatrical performance, at which point anything that takes that much of her time in a day counts towards her elective for Drama.

My school anxieties now focus on the "end of things." Dd is doubly gifted - off-the-charts language skills combined with a mix of dyspraxia/dyscalculia/vis ual processing issues. We're like oil and water when it comes to learning - I was a sponge; she has to struggle in some subjects. She wants to be a professional make-up artist (hence the theatrical involvement), which I'm trying to support, while worrying about her future at the same time. It just doesn't end, does it?

DH just took off with DD, so I need to get to my embellishment organization project! Have a good one!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mingo08

I just admire both of you for the home schooling! I think it is awesome.

I'm not an amusement park ride person. I used to enjoy the "mild" ride and when I was pregnant I thought a merry-go-round would be fine. It wasn't. I was so dizzy - not sick but I felt awful and have not been near an amusement park ride since and my oldest is almost 40!

Then in Singapore we took that ride on the little car that we didn't realize was geared to 3-year olds and their parents and actually had a little bit of fun on it, as silly as it was.

I have never liked roller coasters but the tree-top thing was a lot of fun. It wasn't real twisty with drop-offs and things - it was a very quick ride and I loved it. I don't like the feeling of roller coasters dropping down or going sharply up. This didn't have any of those feelings - it was a very smooth ride - just fast.

The My Memories is perfect for scrapping on trips and all the digi-supplies I buy here on Scrapbook.com are compatible.

I am not a fan of photoshop for scrapping. I even took private tutoring and just made a mess and stayed frustrated. However, I have found some applications in photoshop that make the digi-scrapping easy for me.

I've mastered scanning in 4 pieces and stitching. So I'm able to put my finished layouts in my computer files and download them to Shutterfly books for printing.

That has also come in handy because I have about 3,000 sheets of printed patterned paper. I have 7-10 sheets of papers I really love - probably about 500 different papers.

Anyway, I've now scanned and stitched about 100 different papers I love into the computer so I can use them over and over for digi-scrapping.

I love all the stripes, dots and other digi-patterns but not finding too much selection with theme papers for travel that I love to use. I have papers for so many cities, states and countries and now I can continue to use those paper.

Also, I found it takes about 30 seconds to take one of my die cuts out of my collection (2,500-3,000 in my stash), and make a transparency out of it in photoshop. That is so easy.

SO even though I don't or can't scrap in photoshop, I can still use parts of the program to achieve my goals of getting my die cuts and papers in my digit-files to use over and over.

Last night I scanned and stitched some pretty birthday papers and die cuts into the computer so I can do my husband's birthday layouts digitally.

For some of my Israel layouts earlier this year, I wanted the sheet music for Away In A Manger and for the site of the resurrection I wanted sheet music for Old Rugged Cross and He Arose and several other hymns. Was able to find those on the internet in a PDF form but not JPG. Was able to open in Photoshop and covert them to jpegs and use in my layouts.

I also love the Becky Higgins Project Life digit-templates. Love them and I have taught myself to open those in photoshop, remove the top layer with the advertising on it, save as JPG, then covert it to a png transparency with photoshop so I can use it in My Memories. Then I have the wonderful template and can just throw pictures in it.

I love that I can use My Memories with all JPG and png files. I do buy some and use some of theirs but lately I've been using more of my paper stash at home that I've converted.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 221 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 222 - Singapore By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 223 - Port Klang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 224 - Port changes because of danger iin Egypt By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Mingo08

LOL, Mingo! My state requires the 180 days of instruction, and evaluations at the end of the year. That's WHEN we get our "letter in writing". What odd, they USED to mail those things out in late June so that they were due shortly before the new school year began, thus the children could "promote" from grade to grade at the same pace as the public school kids. However, after our most recent county official election, the new person has changed all of that. She (and I'm assuming her boss the actual Super) decided to mail them out right before Christmas! For the past 3 years, we have been getting our letters right before Christmas! Who does homeschool evaluations right before Christmas? Our evaluator is out of town at that time visiting her daughter and grandbaby. It makes it very difficult for us because we too homeschool year around, and my boys advance to the next grade in August due to "school year" calendar and age frame for "graduation", but they don't actually advance until the start of the new calendar year.

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08

Sounds like your examiner needs to have a chat with the local officials. What an odd arrangement! Though, admittedly, when DD was making those mental learning jumps, they always happened at mid-year, around the holidays! We, too, "advance" on the regular school schedule. It just made things easier for 4-H, participating in groups, etc., Plus, the inevitable, "What grade will you be in this fall?" question is simpler if they feel they are changing grades, too.

Henri - thanks! It's always nice to get support. Some days, it's almost like air!

Meanwhile, today's project was to get the embellishment organization project complete, plus reorganize the scrap storage to accommodate the binders. Mission accomplished! I put photos up in my gallery with descriptions if anyone cares to look. It's a LOT different (in my eyes) from a couple of years ago, though some things are the same simply because the space itself is still the bottom of a pantry.

And no one has dared to ask, but the only "food" incident I've ever had was a tin (yes a tin!) of cocoa that got spilled. Dry dust and nothing was open to damage anyway.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Mingo08

hello there
tomorrow I am going to a crop at the scrapbook store in the city and I am going to bring my cameo and hopeful I will work on some of my dogs pic that we took of them in the river when we went camping.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Today finds me...tired. I was up until 2:30AM working on some BG's for MY junk journal. Then my DH woke me up at 5:30AM by watching South Park on TV with the surround sound on! So, I did some more BG work on my journal until 9 something, then went to town. I came home with: groceries, junk food from BK for everyone, cat food, 2 composition books, 2 glue sticks, and 2 bottle of liquid glue. When my DH asked me what the two comp. books and all the glue was for I just smiled and said "I only spent $1.50 on all of that. It's back to school time so that stuff sells for pennies practically and I needed more fodder for junk journals." He laughed and said, "you and your junk journals". I smiled and said, "hey, at least it only cost you $1.50 to make me very happy today." In reality, I have my eye on some clearance papers on this site that I'm planning on talking him into getting me (even if he did say "no more papers until you use what you have")

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise - Page 225 - Team Trivia By Henri Jean

World Cruise - Page 226 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise - Page 227 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise - Page 228 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Oh wow, Henri Jean the photos that you took in Malaysia are absolutely gorgeous. Your LO's are so wonderful to look at and read, it's almost like you are taking all of us on your vacation! I must admit that I certainly don't mind. I love seeing other parts of the world, as well as other parts of the United States.

I have a picture in the front of my journal (not technically my "junk journal") that says "Life's an Adventure". You are certainly having a grand adventure!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

Happy Friday dear friends I have been trying to clean my table. I am going to try to work on the 2 cards I mentioned before tonight. I am a bit tired & stressed & sore but I hope I can It might make me feel less stressed. I am feeling happy about Dave

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I am in the middle of adhering the garden card. It is kinda cool

ckair 
Veteran
  • ckair on 07-31-15 04:04 PM
In response to anda11

Glad to hear Dave is doing better!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to ckair

Thanks hon..me too.. I can't believe in a weeks time he was on deaths door & now he is doing great.
I have my card done but I am seeing if I want to add something to it. it is an interesting card.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have my card done.....just waiting for the verse to dry. boy I love my gel pens lol

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

Yeah I finished it. I found garden glove cards on Pinterest so I had to make one to a friend who is a passionate gardener.

Garden glove card for Reynee By Anda11

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

Ok, I had to share my latest finished project with you It's an "art" page for my junk journal. I created it for one of the August Music challenges. I love my little pig, and the tattoo I gave her. Her earrings are from a magazine, but at least she's a happy and cheerful piggy.

I Am, I'm Me By Flhomeschoolmom

Expert

Ali, that little piggy is so cute!
I agree with you about enjoying Henri's travels...I am getting to see a lot of the world and I love the stories.
Linda, I am so glad Dave is doing well, and so happy to hear you are back to your beloved crafting. You must be feeling more relaxed than you have in quite a while...with all the stress you have been through lately
I did a layout today for Donna's Summer scrap your fave challenge.
Summer Scrap your fav challenge By Christiscraps61

Edited by christiscraps61 on 08-02-15 09:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Good morning - okay, its after 12 but we are just getting up. I never claimed that we were early risers.

We are in Georgia visiting my oldest son and family. Joe is staying with them and we have a hotel. Bill is going to buy tires in a little while and I will stay in the room with my computer and catch up here with boards.

Then our granddaughter gets out of school later today and we will join them. Right now this is giving the two boys time to hang out and just be brothers.

Going to leave more love into he gallery.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Well, we booked another cruise.

It leaves in September - that's next month and starts in Seattle. It goes for Honolulu, Big Island, Kauai, Guam, Marshall Islands, Chuuk Island, Saipan and some other oddball places (we love the oddball unusual places the most) and ends up in Singapore.

Once we get off the ship we don't know what we will do. I love Okinawa and that is easy to get too. Most likely we will go to Hawaii again for a while. The cruise is 30 days and so the trip will be a month and a half or 2 months, depending on what we decide to do afterwards. We won't make decisions until we get off the ship in Singapore.

We've spent 3 Halloween on Waikiki and this may be another! Don't know yet.

World Cruise Page 229 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 230 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

I have been gone away from the house all day today. I'm just now having my second cup of coffee for the day and it's 6:38 PM. I wish that I could say that I did something fun and amazing, but no. I paid the utility bill, made a payment on the bill at Badcock (so close to having that paid off now). Went to Wal-Mart and got 2 bottle of acrylic paint...one white and one black. Went to the dollar tree and got some pocket file folders (these do not have prongs...yay), got some Benadryl, got some deodorant for my teen boys, and got a temporary replacement for my ear buds that took a dip in my dish water last night. Went to the grocery store and picked up some more groceries (teen boys are bottomless pits), some fried chicken, some glue sticks and a box of crayons. I keep crayons on hand so that my 3 yr. old niece does NOT try to play with my sharpies or paints when she visits. When I watch her for her mom to do things, I give her blank paper and crayons so she can "craft" with Aunt "Weesha" (that's what she calls me) and my furniture and floors suffer no lasting damage.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The album for Wizarding World of Harry Potter is FINISHED. 65 pages. I need to make a baby album for a friend, but I think I need to just stop and do a few one-and-done pages for my regular album before delving into another project.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

That is quite a project Andrea! I bet your pages are beautiful! You make wonderful embellies - you did some cool ones on your food pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 233 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 234 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 235 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 236 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

oh, the momma monkey's are so adorable with their little babies. And I just LOVE those beautiful butterflies. You did quite an amazing job on those LO's Henri.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thank you. I will be posting Mumbai, India soon and those really have some good monkey pictures. My favorites actually. One mama is holding her baby and he is so new there isn't even fur on his little backside yet! And several of two mama's with their babies like two new mothers sitting and discussing things. Bill gave one a cracker and I shot a picture that I love of a mama and baby. Should be a couple more weeks and I will get to posting those.

At the hotel now. My son is bringing our granddaughter over to swim soon (she just got out of pre-kindergarten) and then we will all go out to dinner.

In the meantime, we have time in our air conditioning room with our computers. That is always good!

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08
In response to aquabunny

I would LOVE to see HP pages! Please let us know if you upload any!

Expert
In response to Mingo08

Hi Everyone,
Ali, I didn't have a exciting day yesterday either, but I am going shopping for some scrap stuff today
Andrea, I also would love to see the layouts from your album.
A 65 page album is a wonderful achievement!
Those butterfly photos are amazing Henri, you must enjoy working with such lovely photos all the time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise page 237 - Last page of Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 238 - Phuket Thailand By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 239 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 240 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics