Username Post: Anybody working on anything this weekend & week?        (Topic#1576699)
flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, those pictures are amazing. It must have been awesome to be able to pet a tiger.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to flhomeschoolmom

things are kinda hectic here Dave is doing great Ang is still staying cause he still needs lots of help.
I rushed this card but I think it is cute I know she will too

Angela cowgirl birthday card 2015 By Anda11

Expert
In response to anda11

Glad to hear Dave is doing well Linda. Super cute card, left you some gallery love.
Henri, I agree with Ali, it must have been amazing to pet the Tiger.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to christiscraps61

thanks hon

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

I'm *hoping* to get some crafting done today, but not sure how that is going to work out. I'm either having some bad flare ups with my asthma, or I'm getting bronchitis. I've used my inhaler more than I'd like to, and it's not lasting as long as it normally does. I've coughed to the point of giving myself a headache and the coughing/breathing issues are even affecting my sleep. If it doesn't get any better by Monday then I'll make an appointment with the ARNP. But it has been hot and humid here, and is currently raining and just "muggy" outside so it very well could just be my asthma.

Expert

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well Ali, asthma is a horrid thing.
Hope you can get to your crafting and take care!

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08

Ah, Ali! I hear you! Stay on top of that - if it's bronchitis, there's no point in trying to wait it out. If it's not, you'll know and then you'll relax a bit and maybe that in itself will help.

Hugs!

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Mingo08

Here is an entry I did for the Artist category of the August Music Challange. There's not a lot of decoration on this page because it is the inside front cover of a junk journal/smash book and I was concerned about many embellishments creating a difficulty with writing. I made this page for the inside front cover of my 14 yr. old niece's junk journal. I chose "Like Pink?" for it because she despises the color pink, but likes the artist Pink, and I chose not to include her favorite song by Pink because it's title drops the F bomb

Like Pink? By Flhomeschoolmom

Expert

Cool journal page Ali, looks great!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Here is an entry I did for the Artist category of the August Music Challange. There's not a lot of decoration on this page because it is the inside front cover of a junk journal/smash book and I was concerned about many embellishments creating a difficulty with writing. I made this page for the inside front cover of my 14 yr. old niece's junk journal. I chose "Like Pink?" for it because she despises the color pink, but likes the artist Pink, and I chose not to include her favorite song by Pink because it's title drops the F bomb

Like Pink? By Flhomeschoolmom

That looks so great I think she will love it

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
I'm *hoping* to get some crafting done today, but not sure how that is going to work out. I'm either having some bad flare ups with my asthma, or I'm getting bronchitis. I've used my inhaler more than I'd like to, and it's not lasting as long as it normally does. I've coughed to the point of giving myself a headache and the coughing/breathing issues are even affecting my sleep. If it doesn't get any better by Monday then I'll make an appointment with the ARNP. But it has been hot and humid here, and is currently raining and just "muggy" outside so it very well could just be my asthma.

I am so very very sorry that you are feeling so bad I hope that it passes quickly. Just rest till you feel better

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mingo08

• Mingo08 Said:
Ah, Ali! I hear you! Stay on top of that - if it's bronchitis, there's no point in trying to wait it out. If it's not, you'll know and then you'll relax a bit and maybe that in itself will help.

Hugs!

Hey Mingo, I am thrilled that you joined us here in this thread

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Ok, I had to share my latest finished project with you It's an "art" page for my junk journal. I created it for one of the August Music challenges. I love my little pig, and the tattoo I gave her. Her earrings are from a magazine, but at least she's a happy and cheerful piggy.

I Am, I'm Me By Flhomeschoolmom

This is such a sweet pig & jourrnal page I love everything

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• christiscraps61 Said:
Ali, that little piggy is so cute!
I agree with you about enjoying Henri's travels...I am getting to see a lot of the world and I love the stories.
Linda, I am so glad Dave is doing well, and so happy to hear you are back to your beloved crafting. You must be feeling more relaxed than you have in quite a while...with all the stress you have been through lately
I did a layout today for Donna's Summer scrap your fave challenge.
Summer Scrap your fav challenge By Christiscraps61

Thanks hon I was starting to feel that way until he had to go back in the last 2 days so I have been worrying agaain.

This is a sweet sweet page of your sweet girl I love it all

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
Good morning - okay, its after 12 but we are just getting up. I never claimed that we were early risers.

We are in Georgia visiting my oldest son and family. Joe is staying with them and we have a hotel. Bill is going to buy tires in a little while and I will stay in the room with my computer and catch up here with boards.

Then our granddaughter gets out of school later today and we will join them. Right now this is giving the two boys time to hang out and just be brothers.

Going to leave more love into he gallery.

It is wonderful that you are able to visit with your son & that the brothers can hang out I know you will have a great time with them & your granddaughter too Have fun (but I know you are)

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
Well, we booked another cruise.

It leaves in September - that's next month and starts in Seattle. It goes for Honolulu, Big Island, Kauai, Guam, Marshall Islands, Chuuk Island, Saipan and some other oddball places (we love the oddball unusual places the most) and ends up in Singapore.

Once we get off the ship we don't know what we will do. I love Okinawa and that is easy to get too. Most likely we will go to Hawaii again for a while. The cruise is 30 days and so the trip will be a month and a half or 2 months, depending on what we decide to do afterwards. We won't make decisions until we get off the ship in Singapore.

We've spent 3 Halloween on Waikiki and this may be another! Don't know yet.

World Cruise Page 229 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

World Cruise Page 230 - Penang, Malaysia By Henri Jean

Congrats on booking your newest cruise Henri That is what I expected of you two lol
these pages are gorgous. The background paper sure matches the temlpes The buddha sure was beautiful. I am sorry that you did not see great butterflies. All of these photos were amazing you sure are getting lots of practice on your digi pages. lol

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
The album for Wizarding World of Harry Potter is FINISHED. 65 pages. I need to make a baby album for a friend, but I think I need to just stop and do a few one-and-done pages for my regular album before delving into another project.

WHOOHOO on finishing all 65 pages

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• christiscraps61 Said:
Hi Everyone,
Ali, I didn't have a exciting day yesterday either, but I am going shopping for some scrap stuff today
Andrea, I also would love to see the layouts from your album.
A 65 page album is a wonderful achievement!
Those butterfly photos are amazing Henri, you must enjoy working with such lovely photos all the time.

I hope you got some wonderful goodies when you went shopping

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
I have been gone away from the house all day today. I'm just now having my second cup of coffee for the day and it's 6:38 PM. I wish that I could say that I did something fun and amazing, but no. I paid the utility bill, made a payment on the bill at Badcock (so close to having that paid off now). Went to Wal-Mart and got 2 bottle of acrylic paint...one white and one black. Went to the dollar tree and got some pocket file folders (these do not have prongs...yay), got some Benadryl, got some deodorant for my teen boys, and got a temporary replacement for my ear buds that took a dip in my dish water last night. Went to the grocery store and picked up some more groceries (teen boys are bottomless pits), some fried chicken, some glue sticks and a box of crayons. I keep crayons on hand so that my 3 yr. old niece does NOT try to play with my sharpies or paints when she visits. When I watch her for her mom to do things, I give her blank paper and crayons so she can "craft" with Aunt "Weesha" (that's what she calls me) and my furniture and floors suffer no lasting damage.

Well.. you sure are making some fun, exciting, memorable times with your niece Aunt Weesha memories that she will have for a lifetime:) I have fun memories of crafty stuff with my mom when I was girl

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

Yes, I am making some wonderful memories with my niece. And I just LOVE being around her. I'm one of the few people that has been able to watch/babysit her since birth. There were "complications" with her birth and she was technically stillborn...no detectable heartbeat or respirations. BUT, NICU staff brought her back and she spent 4 days in the NICU. She had breathing problems, severe allergies, etc. when she was a baby. But just look at her now! We all call her "Carebear" because when she was in the NICU she growled like a little bear and her name is Cara. This photo was taken recently and during that visit with "Aunt Weesha" she gave me some inspiration for an art journal page for my junk journal. She put one of my cats in a doll dress. Fortunately, it was a good natured cat. Unfortunately, it was a boy and did nothing but meow at the top of his lungs and roll around until I got the dress off of him! I WISH I had gotten a picture of the dress on the cat.

Carebear By Flhomeschoolmom

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

Hi everyone! I did some sorting and organizing in my scrap room yesterday. I came across a Distress Marker Spritzer that is brand new- I had won it in a prize package. I am not going to use it and would love to ship it off to a good scrappy home. If you are interested please PM me with your address and I will get it in the mail to you!
Products Referenced in This Post:

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to Vintageivy

Morning, all; at least it's morning when I started typing this.....

Not sure what I may do today. May work on a few cards, may work on a new LO. Not really sure at the moment.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Yes, I am making some wonderful memories with my niece. And I just LOVE being around her. I'm one of the few people that has been able to watch/babysit her since birth. There were "complications" with her birth and she was technically stillborn...no detectable heartbeat or respirations. BUT, NICU staff brought her back and she spent 4 days in the NICU. She had breathing problems, severe allergies, etc. when she was a baby. But just look at her now! We all call her "Carebear" because when she was in the NICU she growled like a little bear and her name is Cara. This photo was taken recently and during that visit with "Aunt Weesha" she gave me some inspiration for an art journal page for my junk journal. She put one of my cats in a doll dress. Fortunately, it was a good natured cat. Unfortunately, it was a boy and did nothing but meow at the top of his lungs and roll around until I got the dress off of him! I WISH I had gotten a picture of the dress on the cat.

Carebear By Flhomeschoolmom

She sure was a miracle baby What a strong fighter she was. She sure is beautiful & precious Since you were one of the only caregivers.....you two must have a very special bond that started at birth. Carebear sounds like a perfect nickname. Good thing the cat didn't mind. lol you could recreate it lol your cat is a great sport.
It reminds me of my daughter dressing our animals. I think I have pics too.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Vintageivy

• Vintageivy Said:
Hi everyone! I did some sorting and organizing in my scrap room yesterday. I came across a Distress Marker Spritzer that is brand new- I had won it in a prize package. I am not going to use it and would love to ship it off to a good scrappy home. If you are interested please PM me with your address and I will get it in the mail to you!

It is great that you got some scrap stuff sorted & organized That is kind of you to offer that tool

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to suebird

• suebird Said:
Morning, all; at least it's morning when I started typing this.....

Not sure what I may do today. May work on a few cards, may work on a new LO. Not really sure at the moment.

Hi Sue I am so happy that you are on this thread
I am not sure what I am going to do either. I have a bunch cute layouts in progress I also want to start my husband layout for our anniversary. It is sept.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I also want to say that I am very very very behind in my private messages. I still need to read some posts here

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I have decided to work on anniversary gift pages.. That way in case something else happens.. lol Plus my love box of papers & embellies is on top YEAH
I have all the written things that are going on it on 2 notebook papers done. now to find papers...

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

Lol. my cat is a good sport, but I really hate to torture him in such manner. I also doubt that he'd be as cooperative with ME putting a dress on him as he was with her doing it. He likes her for some reason, always has. He doesn't get upset no matter what she does to him....she used to like to tote him upside down, and if he got too annoyed with it, he would start swishing his tail which tickled her nose and she'd drop him. One of her first phrases was "ere itty" she was saying "here kitty" and chasing after him as she said it.

Yes, she and I do have a very close bond. On average, I have her for a few hours a week, usually on either a Saturday or a Sunday. This week I got her on Tuesday because her mom had to take her 14 yr. old sister shopping for school supplies and Cara had a tummy bug, so my SIL didn't want to take her out for hours and hours. I can't say I blame her. Instead, she colored, we watched Tinker Bell, and she played dress up with my cat.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

You are probably right about you & the cat lol I think some pets sense when it is a young child & try to be ok with things & not be mean. It is wonderful that you are able to babysit her often. I am sure she enjoys it too

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I think I have found which paper I want but I am testing the stuff to see

suebird
Expert
suebird
In response to anda11

You are a September anniversary, too? Same here! One of our Living History events falls around our anniversary, and I have been scrapping that.

Did do 2 cards yesterday. We'll see about today and the rest of the week.

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Yes, I am making some wonderful memories with my niece. And I just LOVE being around her.

Lucky you! I like being an aunt, so much fun playing with them.

We've been gone this weekend, so no scrapping for me. But I did get to Hobby Lobby yesterday - DD needed some art supplies - and picked up a few papers and a neat pad of various colored maps. I like to scrap with maps and we travel a good deal. Also got some plain kraft washi - which is something I'd been hoping to find.

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Mingo08
Veteran
Mingo08
In response to Mingo08

SB.com decided to put their kits on "hiatus." Just when I was thinking about trying them out to broaden my horizons!

Does anyone get kits anywhere else? Good idea? Bad one? Suggestions? I'm just trying to stretch my exposure to things a bit and keep out of ruts!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to suebird

• suebird Said:
You are a September anniversary, too? Same here! One of our Living History events falls around our anniversary, and I have been scrapping that.

Did do 2 cards yesterday. We'll see about today and the rest of the week.

Yes we do have an anniversary in Sept. Dave has a birthday in Sept too
yeah on getting some cards done :)

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mingo08

• Mingo08 Said:
  • flhomeschoolmom Said:
Yes, I am making some wonderful memories with my niece. And I just LOVE being around her.

Lucky you! I like being an aunt, so much fun playing with them.

We've been gone this weekend, so no scrapping for me. But I did get to Hobby Lobby yesterday - DD needed some art supplies - and picked up a few papers and a neat pad of various colored maps. I like to scrap with maps and we travel a good deal. Also got some plain kraft washi - which is something I'd been hoping to find.

I love being an aunt too but my niece & nephew are in their 40s lol but I do have lots of pictures of us having fun when they were small. ) I love hobby Lobby congrats on your new purchases I think it is a smart idea to use maps : )

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mingo08

• Mingo08 Said:
  • anda11 Said:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

You are welcome

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Mingo08

• Mingo08 Said:
SB.com decided to put their kits on "hiatus." Just when I was thinking about trying them out to broaden my horizons!

Does anyone get kits anywhere else? Good idea? Bad one? Suggestions? I'm just trying to stretch my exposure to things a bit and keep out of ruts!

I wonder why they stopped ? There are lots of kit clubs out there they have every type of style too.. usually you get papers, embellishments....some have stamps in it too. some are flowery....blingy..vintage.....some are plainer....papers..stickers...embellishments. some are cutesy & some are more formal..some are for kids....some are more artsy
I do know lots of people who get them. ( all different styles...) They always love them though. some have trial periods... you can see if you really like the stuff you receive every month.
I was a member of one years ago. I loved it for a long time but then the stuff they were sending I wasn't loving it so after a few months of not liking the stuff I quit.
Start a new thread asking about the kit clubs & you will get lots of people tel;ling you which they get or love.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I am not sure what I am working on next.. but I am working on cut files I have saved in my computer...I had 1000s & did delete tons. ( free cut files)I had way too many to deal with. lol I still have lots...same thing... I do not need them all. if I am not going to use it on a page or card....why save it ? I was so excited when I found free cut files everywhere that I saved them all from that site They were addicting

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

well I am work on some Halloween cards for my sister and mom b-day.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southern lady

HI hon That sounds like fun I am still going through files.... I had a ton in the cameo section of my computer.. Lots to delete but I have found some cool ones so I went ahead & imported them

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

I love being an aunt too but my niece & nephew are in their 40s lol but I do have lots of pictures of us having fun when they were small. ) I love hobby Lobby congrats on your new purchases I think it is a smart idea to use maps : )

I think being an Aunt is almost as good as being a parent. My nieces and nephews are: 22, 19, 18 (almost 19), 14, 13, 3, 1 (who moved to Oregon in March) and a great nephew who is 2 that I've not seen since April. All of those are on my DH's side of the family. On my side of the family they are: 10, 8, 7.

I'm closest to the 14 yr. old, 3 yr. old, and I was close to the 2 yr. old until his new "soon to be" step-mom has refused to allow any of us to see him. And out of frustration, I said something to one of her children last week that wasn't so nice...she told her kids to start calling me Aunt and I informed her 6 yr. old son "I am not your Aunt, you can just call me Mrs. Ali". Now, with that being said, I am not mean to her 3 kids. At Easter, when we purchased stuffed animals for all the small children in the family, we also got each of her 3 kids one. We got my 2 yr. old great nephew a lizard (he likes lizards) and when they all got ready to leave, he went running back into the living room screaming "my izzard", grabbed his lizard and headed for the door. His soon to be step-mom, took the lizard from his hands and told him, "that stays here" BUT she allowed her 3 children to take theirs home. I then watched as one of my "doll babies" (my 3 yr. old niece, 1 yr. old nephew, and 2 yr. old great nephew have that nickname with me) cried as she pulled him out my door screaming "I want my izzard". Ever since that day, she brings her kids over when his mom has him for visitation. IF this woman and her children are still in the family at Christmas, again I will get something for her children...they are children. BUT...I have no issues with not getting her anything, I REALLY don't like her.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to Mingo08

• Mingo08 Said:

I do not belong to kit clubs. However, I will purchase kits in stores if I like what I see in the packaging. My DH has ordered me some kits from Ebay, all were new and all were outdated. Some I really liked, and some I didn't. What I did with the ones that I didn't was: a) gave the baby girl stuff to my SIL, and the others I broke down and combined them with stuff from my stash and made new kits.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
HI hon That sounds like fun I am still going through files.... I had a ton in the cameo section of my computer.. Lots to delete but I have found some cool ones so I went ahead & imported them

yea in my cameo I am clean mine and put them in files

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I've gone back to working on a Configurations box - a retro Christmas one using papers and embellishments from one of those Hot Off The Press pads (where they'd have four themes or color schemes in a pad, with matching papers, embellishments and cut-out letters). Probably heading to eBay tonight to get some fun dollhouse accessories to add to it.

suebird
Expert
suebird

I feel your pain! *Hugs*

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:

I think being an Aunt is almost as good as being a parent. My nieces and nephews are: 22, 19, 18 (almost 19), 14, 13, 3, 1 (who moved to Oregon in March) and a great nephew who is 2 that I've not seen since April. All of those are on my DH's side of the family. On my side of the family they are: 10, 8, 7.

I'm closest to the 14 yr. old, 3 yr. old, and I was close to the 2 yr. old until his new "soon to be" step-mom has refused to allow any of us to see him. And out of frustration, I said something to one of her children last week that wasn't so nice...she told her kids to start calling me Aunt and I informed her 6 yr. old son "I am not your Aunt, you can just call me Mrs. Ali". Now, with that being said, I am not mean to her 3 kids. At Easter, when we purchased stuffed animals for all the small children in the family, we also got each of her 3 kids one. We got my 2 yr. old great nephew a lizard (he likes lizards) and when they all got ready to leave, he went running back into the living room screaming "my izzard", grabbed his lizard and headed for the door. His soon to be step-mom, took the lizard from his hands and told him, "that stays here" BUT she allowed her 3 children to take theirs home. I then watched as one of my "doll babies" (my 3 yr. old niece, 1 yr. old nephew, and 2 yr. old great nephew have that nickname with me) cried as she pulled him out my door screaming "I want my izzard". Ever since that day, she brings her kids over when his mom has him for visitation. IF this woman and her children are still in the family at Christmas, again I will get something for her children...they are children. BUT...I have no issues with not getting her anything, I REALLY don't like her.

I am so sorry you have to deal with that

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
  • Mingo08 Said:

I do not belong to kit clubs. However, I will purchase kits in stores if I like what I see in the packaging. My DH has ordered me some kits from Ebay, all were new and all were outdated. Some I really liked, and some I didn't. What I did with the ones that I didn't was: a) gave the baby girl stuff to my SIL, and the others I broke down and combined them with stuff from my stash and made new kits.

I do not have the extra money to subscribe anymore but If I saw one I wanted to buy..I would If I liked it

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• southern lady Said:
  • anda11 Said:

yea in my cameo I am clean mine and put them in files

I started organizing in folders but I had way too many to look at so I stopped the folders for a while. I deleted 1000 of them without checking.. they were all freebies but I still have alot. I am still going through them I will put in folders after i do that

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
I've gone back to working on a Configurations box - a retro Christmas one using papers and embellishments from one of those Hot Off The Press pads (where they'd have four themes or color schemes in a pad, with matching papers, embellishments and cut-out letters). Probably heading to eBay tonight to get some fun dollhouse accessories to add to it.

I am so glad you are going back to work on these There sure are a fun pleasure to see I can imagine you buying all the accessories too

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

halloween b-day card By Southern Lady

winter By Southern Lady

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

Danielle, love your cards. I think that house is adorable!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Joanie R

• Joanie R Said:
Danielle, love your cards. I think that house is adorable!

thanks a lot. I love when people love them

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• southern lady Said:

This card is wonderful Love the paper & the bow & the cut It looks so spooky

This card is wonderful too. love the papers, ribbon, snowflake, winter banners

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I am going to start my heritage challenge today I am calling it the aug/ sept since I missed the beginning due to Dave's surgery

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

halloween By Southern Lady

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• southern lady Said:

love the papers, design, ribbon cute spiders too wonderful card

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

Well, today is the "official" first day of school. So, I probably won't be on a whole lot today. Right now it's about 4 AM and I'm enjoying my coffee and quiet time. I find that during the normal school year, when we're not doing "relaxed" schooling, I need the quiet time before the rest of my family gets up. During the summer and all during the month of December, we toss "formal" schooling aside and focus on literature, nature studies, occasional documentaries that we find on Netflix or Youtube, etc. During those times it doesn't bother me as much to not have my "quiet time" in the morning, as long as I get a bit in the evening. BUT when juggling 2 separate math classes, 2 separate science classes, etc. I find that I REALLY need time in the mornings. This year, we are going to be doing separate history classes too. My oldest has to do World History because we opted last year to switch World History and American History so that both of my boys would be doing American History and I could combine lessons together. But since my oldest will have Government/Economics next year which is when my youngest will be doing World History, I've got two years of separate social studies classes as well as Math and Science.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

it is great that you can relax now. enjoy it I hope your 1st school day goes well

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • southern lady Said:

love the papers, design, ribbon cute spiders too wonderful card

thanks a lot

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

well my husband has a flat tire on the car he drives so I had to take him to work and he took the tire on the car and going to get it fix. he take a work truck home tonight .

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

It is good he can take a work vehicle

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to anda11

I watched Maymay on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4J-C-wpXsw
and made a envelope explosion mini album last night just for grins. I did it in black and white with a little red.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:
and made a envelope explosion mini album last night just for grins. I did it in black and white with a little red.

Please upload a picture. I would love to see how it turned out!

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

• southern lady Said:

I have that little spider too! Isn't he fun? Love your design and the papers as well.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Joanie R

• Joanie R Said:
  • southern lady Said:

I have that little spider too! Isn't he fun? Love your design and the papers as well.

thanks it is from tim holz new Halloween paper

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

The tiny presents and little trees for my Configurations book are due to arrive on Friday!

We were going to make a road trip to the nearest Ikea this weekend, to get some Kallax shelves (they're deep enough for even the American Crafts 3-ring albums), but my brother and his wife will be in town, so we're going to get together with them instead. Ikea can wait.

Taking Monday off to relax and work on craft projects. The baby I'm making that baby album for came a couple weeks early, she was born yesterday. So now I know her name and can use that in the album.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to aquabunny

I have no idea how to add a photo...I did once a long time ago.

Envelope minibook folded By Southgirl

Wow thank you and please excuse my cluttered desk. I would say it does not always look this way but I would be lying.

Edited by southgirl on 08-15-15 08:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
it is great that you can relax now. enjoy it I hope your 1st school day goes well

Thank you, it did go well. Although, the boys weren't too thrilled with having to "hit the books" again. LOL. It's funny to me how they react when we transition from "relaxed schooling" to "formal schooling" due to homeschooling year around. Sometimes they are excited about the things in the new text books that they will be learning, and sometimes they aren't.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

Ok, it's a little after 2:30 AM and I've been up for about an hour. This is just a bit too early for my "morning me time". But, I'm up because I can't sleep due to waking up coughing my head off. After using my Albuterol inhaler, I'm a bit wired (but FINIALLY stopped coughing). It will probably be about another half hour to hour before I'll be able to go back to sleep.

However, this morning I have made a very important decision. It's time for me to quit smoking. I've tried before, and not been as successful as I would like. I think that the longest I've been quit is about 3 months and that ended up going down the tube over a year and a half ago (December will be 2 years). And truthfully, when I look back on all of the stupid things I've done in my life (and there's been quite a few), the only one that I truly regret is ever starting smoking. And then when I think that I've been doing it for the better part of 20 years I think...this can't be a good thing. I'm not ignorant to the risks and dangers of smoking. My grandfather died of lung cancer due to smoking AND working in a coal mine. My birth mom is 57 and been on 24/7 oxygen since 2009 and now resides in a nursing facility because she can no longer care for herself due to her COPD.

I KNOW that quitting smoking isn't going to be easy. But in reality, it's the only way for me to stop these coughing fits that occur during the night (and day). I'm noticing that my asthma is getting a lot worse, and that my inhaler isn't working like it used to. I have a couple of options, change medications and continue having to change medications as time goes on OR quit smoking and end up being able to keep the medication I have now and not have to use it as much.

Right now I've set my official "not one puff" day for August 27th. I might move that up, but that gives me about 2 weeks to work on cutting down on what I smoke before tossing everything.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Good luck! We're all cheering for you.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

I'm so happy to hear of this decision. I will cheer you on! It's not an easy task. Some people can do it faster than others. When my brother decided to stop, he did cold turkey and never looked back. My one good friend has been trying to quit since I've known her (15+ years) and she still struggles with trying to quit. Do what works for you and we will cheer you on to good health.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:

That sounds like fun ) I hope that you post it too

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
The tiny presents and little trees for my Configurations book are due to arrive on Friday!

We were going to make a road trip to the nearest Ikea this weekend, to get some Kallax shelves (they're deep enough for even the American Crafts 3-ring albums), but my brother and his wife will be in town, so we're going to get together with them instead. Ikea can wait.

Taking Monday off to relax and work on craft projects. The baby I'm making that baby album for came a couple weeks early, she was born yesterday. So now I know her name and can use that in the album.

That is nice that your brother will be visiting
It is good you are taking a day off for crafty stuff
Enjoy working on the baby album Have fun with your brother

Edited by anda11 on 08-13-15 05:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:

I am so happy that you are in this thread

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to southgirl

• southgirl Said:
I have no idea how to add a photo...I did once a long time ago.

It is very very easy
go to your gallery..... then go to the item you want to post.... on the right side about halfway down is a button that says link... click on that..... up come a box that has a place for you to check 2 different things......click the box that says for message boards... then an addreess of your page will be there. copy that.. go to your post & paste it into the post. then it will be there.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
  • anda11 Said:

Thank you, it did go well. Although, the boys weren't too thrilled with having to "hit the books" again. LOL. It's funny to me how they react when we transition from "relaxed schooling" to "formal schooling" due to homeschooling year around. Sometimes they are excited about the things in the new text books that they will be learning, and sometimes they aren't.

I am so glad it went well

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
Ok, it's a little after 2:30 AM and I've been up for about an hour. This is just a bit too early for my "morning me time". But, I'm up because I can't sleep due to waking up coughing my head off. After using my Albuterol inhaler, I'm a bit wired (but FINIALLY stopped coughing). It will probably be about another half hour to hour before I'll be able to go back to sleep.

However, this morning I have made a very important decision. It's time for me to quit smoking. I've tried before, and not been as successful as I would like. I think that the longest I've been quit is about 3 months and that ended up going down the tube over a year and a half ago (December will be 2 years). And truthfully, when I look back on all of the stupid things I've done in my life (and there's been quite a few), the only one that I truly regret is ever starting smoking. And then when I think that I've been doing it for the better part of 20 years I think...this can't be a good thing. I'm not ignorant to the risks and dangers of smoking. My grandfather died of lung cancer due to smoking AND working in a coal mine. My birth mom is 57 and been on 24/7 oxygen since 2009 and now resides in a nursing facility because she can no longer care for herself due to her COPD.

I KNOW that quitting smoking isn't going to be easy. But in reality, it's the only way for me to stop these coughing fits that occur during the night (and day). I'm noticing that my asthma is getting a lot worse, and that my inhaler isn't working like it used to. I have a couple of options, change medications and continue having to change medications as time goes on OR quit smoking and end up being able to keep the medication I have now and not have to use it as much.

Right now I've set my official "not one puff" day for August 27th. I might move that up, but that gives me about 2 weeks to work on cutting down on what I smoke before tossing everything.

I am so glad you made this life changing or saving decision. .
It doesn't matter how many times you have tried before. That doesn't make you a failure since nicotine is an addiction. I am sorry about your birth mother & grandfather..
You are a very very strong woman to even consider trying it
I am pretty your asthma will be better & your coughing will be better too.
WE are here for you

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Joanie R

• Joanie R Said:
I'm so happy to hear of this decision. I will cheer you on! It's not an easy task. Some people can do it faster than others. When my brother decided to stop, he did cold turkey and never looked back. My one good friend has been trying to quit since I've known her (15+ years) and she still struggles with trying to quit. Do what works for you and we will cheer you on to good health.

I am so glad you are in this thread Joanie
I started when I was a teen but quit when i got pregnant at 23...
dh has smoked since he was a kid. he did quit many times over the years since he had his bypass ( I think he was 42. ) many times he quit he lasted for lots of years. but he always goes back for some reason. he did use some medicine in the past & it worked but he had to give it up because he could not afford it . he doe s always try though luckily he has cut back a huge amount a few yrs ago.. he only has part of one in the morning... part of one later.. part of one at night. I think that is so much better than his pack a day .
My daughter smokes too. I wish she would quit. she is in her 30s now.. she has asthma too. she has a highly addictive person... she is in a high stress job.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I am going to figure out what birthday card I want to make for dh
Then I am going to work om it his birthday is next

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

I figured which birthday card.....now I am going to ,look at anniversary cards too. I had been looking & saved some to my pin board. I will check it out again

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

Did some fast skimming and caught up here.

We got in around 10:15 tonight from my mom's - and it is 2:45AM but I'm finished unpacking and everything is put away.

My husband wants to go to bed but I want to catch up here a little bit more first. Making a good dent on the boards tonight. Facebook - well, I gave up trying to catch up on that.

But on the threads I'm going to try to get all my comments done by mid-morning tomorrow. Then I will start posting a few more layouts.

Had a nice visit with my oldest son and his daughter (our oldest granddaughter - she is almost 4) in Georgia. We had a pool at our hotel so she had a ball swimming with us every afternoon after pre-kindergarten and then out to dinner every night. What a live wire - so hard to keep up with!

Then a week at my mothers house. She doesn't' have internet and doesn't' want it. Neither do either of my brothers. In fact in her small country town in Alabama - I don't think many people at all have internet service. They didn't get a cell phone tower until 2 years ago!

She keeps every photo that has ever been given to her - hundreds and hundred, in fact thousands of photos. Picture of my parents when they were dating all the way through every guy I ever dated, at least 50 pictures of my 10th grade boyfriend. I used to send her a huge envelope of my kids pictures every week and so did both of my brother's wives so she has thousands of grandkids pictures.

She saves newspaper clippings - sometimes many duplicate copies of each ones and there must have been 100 church bulletins because there was something in them that interested her. More obituaries and those bookmarks they give at funerals with the picture and bio. Must have come across 30 of those.

One of my girlfriends went to our high school reunion in 1992 - I did not go. She sent me pictures and I mailed them on to my mom in case she recognized anyone. She didn't - but she kept that stack of pictures. I do not know why.

I was glad to see a handful of pictures of her grandparents! Old and yellowed but she had them.

I had my portable scanner with me (don't go on any trips without it) and scanned everything I wanted. My computer is full of copies of her pictures.

She asked me which ones I wanted when she died (morbid but mom worries about things like that). I told her I didn't want any of them, I scanned everything I wanted. She seemed very relieved and said she would split them between my brothers and that would maybe prevent a fight over pictures later.

I did tell her I wanted a picture hanging on the wall someday when she didn't need it anymore so she got a piece of heavy-duty tape and marker and wrote "Henri Jean gets this when I don't need it anymore" and taped it to the back.

She puts tape with names on the backs of all her pictures, mirrors, wallhangings, knick-knacks and everything with the name of who gets them someday. You can pick up everything - there is tape on the bottom with a name. Very strange but it seems to give her some kind of peace.

She's 87, had a really rough surgery last month but came through it better than ever and will be around for many many years yet! Doctor's say she isn't going anywhere soon but she still likes to know that everything is accounted for with who gets it and if it makes her feel better to put pieces of tape with names under everything - so be it.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:
  • Joanie R Said:

dh has smoked since he was a kid. he did quit many times over the years since he had his bypass ( I think he was 42. ) many times he quit he lasted for lots of years. but he always goes back for some reason. he did use some medicine in the past & it worked but he had to give it up because he could not afford it . he doe s always try though luckily he has cut back a huge amount a few yrs ago.. he only has part of one in the morning... part of one later.. part of one at night. I think that is so much better than his pack a day .
My daughter smokes too. I wish she would quit. she is in her 30s now.. she has asthma too. she has a highly addictive person... she is in a high stress job.

I have a highly addictive personality, so does my birth mom and so did my grandfather. There is however one addiction that they both had that I do not and that is alcohol. I think I owe my mom for that one. She and I are not very close, she lost custody of my sister and myself due to extensive child abuse and my grandparents (her parents) ended up with permanent custody of me at the age of 4. At 18, I went to live with my mom, her husband and my baby brother who was 6 months old at the time. I was an adult, had graduated high school and was married to a US Marine at the time (that's another thing I did in my life that I regret). I remember my stepdad asking me to make him a rum and coke one afternoon after he got home from work. He always had one after work. I asked him, "what does that taste like because you sure seem to love it". He laughed and said, "pour you a small amount from my glass and taste it". I did. I took maybe two sips (didn't like it) and my mom caught me. She then forced me to attend AA every day for the next year that I lived with her. She and I also had a LOT of discussions about her own addictions. I never saw my grandfather drink, ever. I did hear about how bad he used to drink and in my mid to late teens I remember seeing a bottle of liquor in one of my grandparents closets. I wasn't snooping through their things at the time either, I was borrowing a scarf from my grandmother. I know that bottle stayed there for a LONG time. And as much as I don't "agree" with most of what my birth mom has done in her life, looking back, I'm glad she made me go to AA for a year because of what I learned by doing so. However, alcohol and nicotine were not my mother's only addictions...she has many. The two addictions that I share with my mom and grandfather are coffee and cigarettes, although my grandfather quit smoking in 1985, my mother still smokes.

Stress is a big factor with a lot of people's smoking, I know it contributes to mine. If I'm stressed about something, really tired and not able to go to sleep, or extremely mad about something (a couple of my BIL's would fit that category) then I smoke more. One thing that both of my boys will say when they see me outside smoking (I do NOT smoke around my children because I value their lungs and breathing...this is MY bad habit not anyone else's) that some people would consider disrespectful but I don't is "That is so stupid Mom, why on earth do you smoke?" My youngest goes on to tell me, "Mom, don't you know that's going to kill you?" or "If you quit smoking then wouldn't you actually be able to breathe and not cough?" He's also told me, "I thought you were intelligent, so why do you do something so stupid as smoking". YES, my baby boy is very blunt. My oldest son will roll his eyes if he walks past me and I'm smoking and mutter "stupid". I know he THINKS I don't hear him, but I do. I guess I don't get upset with my children for these things because it's true.

I think the only thing that I'm REALLY dreading is the withdrawal. I have BAD withdrawals, to the point that the last time I quit, I locked myself in my room at times and put up a sign that said, "if you don't absolutely need me, then don't bother me". I also cancelled school completely for a week aside from giving my boys some reading assignments. I did NOT do that to be mean, etc. I did it because I did NOT want to "snap" at my DH or kids for what would other wise be no reason.

flhomeschoolmom
Guru
flhomeschoolmom

• Henri Jean Said:

We got in around 10:15 tonight from my mom's - and it is 2:45AM but I'm finished unpacking and everything is put away.

My husband wants to go to bed but I want to catch up here a little bit more first. Making a good dent on the boards tonight. Facebook - well, I gave up trying to catch up on that.

But on the threads I'm going to try to get all my comments done by mid-morning tomorrow. Then I will start posting a few more layouts.

Had a nice visit with my oldest son and his daughter (our oldest granddaughter - she is almost 4) in Georgia. We had a pool at our hotel so she had a ball swimming with us every afternoon after pre-kindergarten and then out to dinner every night. What a live wire - so hard to keep up with!

Then a week at my mothers house. She doesn't' have internet and doesn't' want it. Neither do either of my brothers. In fact in her small country town in Alabama - I don't think many people at all have internet service. They didn't get a cell phone tower until 2 years ago!

She keeps every photo that has ever been given to her - hundreds and hundred, in fact thousands of photos. Picture of my parents when they were dating all the way through every guy I ever dated, at least 50 pictures of my 10th grade boyfriend. I used to send her a huge envelope of my kids pictures every week and so did both of my brother's wives so she has thousands of grandkids pictures.

She saves newspaper clippings - sometimes many duplicate copies of each ones and there must have been 100 church bulletins because there was something in them that interested her. More obituaries and those bookmarks they give at funerals with the picture and bio. Must have come across 30 of those.

One of my girlfriends went to our high school reunion in 1992 - I did not go. She sent me pictures and I mailed them on to my mom in case she recognized anyone. She didn't - but she kept that stack of pictures. I do not know why.

I was glad to see a handful of pictures of her grandparents! Old and yellowed but she had them.

I had my portable scanner with me (don't go on any trips without it) and scanned everything I wanted. My computer is full of copies of her pictures.

She asked me which ones I wanted when she died (morbid but mom worries about things like that). I told her I didn't want any of them, I scanned everything I wanted. She seemed very relieved and said she would split them between my brothers and that would maybe prevent a fight over pictures later.

I did tell her I wanted a picture hanging on the wall someday when she didn't need it anymore so she got a piece of heavy-duty tape and marker and wrote "Henri Jean gets this when I don't need it anymore" and taped it to the back.

She puts tape with names on the backs of all her pictures, mirrors, wallhangings, knick-knacks and everything with the name of who gets them someday. You can pick up everything - there is tape on the bottom with a name. Very strange but it seems to give her some kind of peace.

She's 87, had a really rough surgery last month but came through it better than ever and will be around for many many years yet! Doctor's say she isn't going anywhere soon but she still likes to know that everything is accounted for with who gets it and if it makes her feel better to put pieces of tape with names under everything - so be it.

Are you sure we aren't related? LOL. I say this because my grandmother sounds a LOT like your mom. She has more pictures than probably anyone I've ever met besides her mother (my great-grandmother). And my grandma will keep EVERYTHING that interests her, mentions someone she knows, obituaries for people that I have no clue who they are, etc. I spent countless days of my childhood and adolescence going through her photo albums and scrapbooks. She had a couple of photo albums that I tried to avoid opening. It took me a bit to memorize the covers of those albums, they were "death albums". CREEPY!!!! I've seen pictures of people in their caskets who lived and died before I was ever born, people that I never knew. She also kept the newspaper articles about their death and/or obituary (some people died in traffic accidents, a few died in a coal mine collapse, some were killed in war, a few drowned) the programs from their funerals, etc. with the pictures. It's a treasure trove for genealogists, even if they are seriously CREEPY!

She's even got clippings of the first moon landing and an odd obsession with John Glenn. Secretly, I think she had a major crush on him even if she was a married woman with 5 kids at the time he went into space. And that woman has more wedding invitations and birth announcements than anyone I've ever seen. She also labels things with who gets what when she dies. She turns 85 this month, and I HATE it when she begins talking about her own mortality one day. I keep telling her, "I don't want to think about you dying, ok." But, I know she means well when she asks me what I want of her personal effects.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:

Oh Henri, I am so glad you had such a good time visiting with your family That must be a normal thing ( putting your name on stuff) cause my grandma did that as well as other relatives... I am so glad you founds pics of your
great grandparents I am so glad you were able to scan what ever you needed

Edited by anda11 on 08-14-15 03:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I hated it when I opened one of mom's envelopes and came across someone in a casket and funeral flowers. As soon as I saw one of those - I put all those pictures back in the envelopes and didn't go any further.

Wedding announcements, baby announcements, wedding napkins - they are all there. Everything from my baby showers from both of my kids. Even the order forms to order more copies of pictures that were 50 years old! Doubt if any of the photography studios are even in business any more.

When I was a teenager I thought it would be cool to smoke. My parents would have killed me and they believed in corporal punishment! Bill never smoked and I will never forget when we went on our first date. I opened my purse and got out a cigarette and before I could light it he said, "Not in my car. No way. I'll make a deal with you - if you put it away and don't have one our entire date tonight, I'll take you to Dairy Queen before I take you home and we will get a banana split."

Sounded good so I didn't have a cigarette all evening. After our banana split he told me, "Lets go out tomorrow night and if you don't have a cigarette between now and then or while we are out, we will share another banana split."

So, I went an entire day without one and that night we got a banana split and I ate a few bites and he ate the rest. This went on for weeks - every night we celebrated my not smoking for another 24 hours with a banana split.

I only ate a few bites of the ice cream and we were both as skinny as a rail but I knew I was in love with him on the first date and I knew if there was going to be a future for us, I couldn't be a smoker. Both of his parents were smoker and he would not have a smoker for a girlfriend.

I never had another cigarette. My last cigarette was before our first date. I didn't smoke anymore. I never really tried to quit, I just wanted to please him and I knew very quickly that I had a choice to make. And I love ice cream.

Since both of Bill's parents were smokers and he lost them both to lung cancer he's really against smoking even more now.

He has several t-shirts he wears that say, "Smoke-free Generation" - one that says, "There are cooler ways to die" and if you look through my gallery you will see him constantly in shirts that say, "There are sexier ways to die" with a cigarette with a circle around it and a slash through it.

He had 100 of those made in teal, red, orange, lime green, white and several other colors. He takes a collection of them on cruises and wears them nearly every day in ports and on the ships. I get a lot of comments on his, "Sexier ways to die" shirts but the people who come up to him and tell him they are the best shirts ever always pour in.

That was in 1969. I don't miss the taste of the cigarettes or the smell or the dirty ashtrays or the smell in my car but I do miss having a cigarette in my hand. That was the hardest thing for me to deal with - what to do with my hands. And when I got in social situations where other people were smoking I really missed the motions of smoking if that makes sense.

When I went out for. Drink with friends it was really difficult without a cigarette - that was the hardest part for me. I wasn't really a drinker - I was more of a sipper but I liked to visit and always had a cigarette in my hand and when I'm sitting in a club with friends I still miss having a cigarette so I know it isn't easy.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R

• Henri Jean Said:

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a lovely time. I love visiting relatives and going through old photos and memorabilia, that is just so much fun and to hear the stories too! I'm glad you were able to scan everything you wanted. That little scanner does quite the job!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Joanie R

My little Doxie scanner has been wonderful Joanie. I take it everywhere and it will scan 300 or 600 dpi. I scan everything at 600 dpi which is picture quality.

Every time I go anywhere, it goes in my suitcase. Its about an inch longer than a ruler and not very big at all - takes up no space. It came with plug attachments for almost every country.

What I really love - will scan directly to computer (if I ever find the software that came with it which I think is long gone but I'm sure I can do it on the internet) or you can pop a flash drive or SD card in the back.

Its sits on the desk in our cabins on the cruise ship next to my computer.

At home however, the big flatbed scanner is easier.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

World Cruise page 241 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 242 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 243 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

World Cruise page 244 - Phuket, Thailand By Henri Jean

Expert

My Mum is the same Henri...my Dad has a system of colour coded dots on the bottom of things. This indicates if the item is valuable, or handed down from their grandparents and therefore treasured.
My Mum is always saying" when I go I want you to have this or that, and this is for (insert one of my brothers names).
Ali, well done on the decision to quit smoking, we will all be behind you! I quit 20 years ago after smoking for 17 years. Quit cold turkey, never looked back! My DH tried several times with success, but the last time was successful, and it has now been 2 years. He said the difference was he really wanted too! Times before he thought he should of course, but in his heart didn't really want too!
Everyone has a different experience with it, I guess.
I am very far behind with everyone's comments, just did a quick skim. I will come back and be more thorough.
Linda, how is Dave??

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• flhomeschoolmom Said:
  • anda11 Said:
  • Joanie R Said:

I have a highly addictive personality, so does my birth mom and so did my grandfather. There is however one addiction that they both had that I do not and that is alcohol. I think I owe my mom for that one. She and I are not very close, she lost custody of my sister and myself due to extensive child abuse and my grandparents (her parents) ended up with permanent custody of me at the age of 4. At 18, I went to live with my mom, her husband and my baby brother who was 6 months old at the time. I was an adult, had graduated high school and was married to a US Marine at the time (that's another thing I did in my life that I regret). I remember my stepdad asking me to make him a rum and coke one afternoon after he got home from work. He always had one after work. I asked him, "what does that taste like because you sure seem to love it". He laughed and said, "pour you a small amount from my glass and taste it". I did. I took maybe two sips (didn't like it) and my mom caught me. She then forced me to attend AA every day for the next year that I lived with her. She and I also had a LOT of discussions about her own addictions. I never saw my grandfather drink, ever. I did hear about how bad he used to drink and in my mid to late teens I remember seeing a bottle of liquor in one of my grandparents closets. I wasn't snooping through their things at the time either, I was borrowing a scarf from my grandmother. I know that bottle stayed there for a LONG time. And as much as I don't "agree" with most of what my birth mom has done in her life, looking back, I'm glad she made me go to AA for a year because of what I learned by doing so. However, alcohol and nicotine were not my mother's only addictions...she has many. The two addictions that I share with my mom and grandfather are coffee and cigarettes, although my grandfather quit smoking in 1985, my mother still smokes.

Stress is a big factor with a lot of people's smoking, I know it contributes to mine. If I'm stressed about something, really tired and not able to go to sleep, or extremely mad about something (a couple of my BIL's would fit that category) then I smoke more. One thing that both of my boys will say when they see me outside smoking (I do NOT smoke around my children because I value their lungs and breathing...this is MY bad habit not anyone else's) that some people would consider disrespectful but I don't is "That is so stupid Mom, why on earth do you smoke?" My youngest goes on to tell me, "Mom, don't you know that's going to kill you?" or "If you quit smoking then wouldn't you actually be able to breathe and not cough?" He's also told me, "I thought you were intelligent, so why do you do something so stupid as smoking". YES, my baby boy is very blunt. My oldest son will roll his eyes if he walks past me and I'm smoking and mutter "stupid". I know he THINKS I don't hear him, but I do. I guess I don't get upset with my children for these things because it's true.

I think the only thing that I'm REALLY dreading is the withdrawal. I have BAD withdrawals, to the point that the last time I quit, I locked myself in my room at times and put up a sign that said, "if you don't absolutely need me, then don't bother me". I also cancelled school completely for a week aside from giving my boys some reading assignments. I did NOT do that to be mean, etc. I did it because I did NOT want to "snap" at my DH or kids for what would other wise be no reason.

I am so sorry that you had to go through all this stuff during your childhood & later years. You are right... you could have done so much more worse things than smoke. with all that life stress & events you had to go through. lots of people have the alcohol issue. You are not alone.
I met Dave when he was 32. he is an amazing man.. he did housework...he did laundry.. he was so kind & did not get mad easy.. he felt lucky to have me.. he left a beloved job to be with me.. every day he wanted me to be happy & he did anything to do that. he did lots of stuff for me.. he listened to what I wanted & did it... he brought me gifts.. he left love notes around...wherever I wanted to go.. he took me.. we did what I wanted... his goal was to make me happy daily. I felt so lucky... my ex husband was a mean abusive Ahole.. all those years we only did what he wanted... he did not do laundry or cook or dishes or anything to make me happy. I also dated another guy for 2 yrs & he never did what I wanted..
Dave is an addictive personality & drank since he was a kid..... (stress relief I am sure) His birth mom had to have an addictive personality too. She used to love hanging out at the bar. She got pregnant with a guy she met at a bar & I am sure the guy didn't know it cause he was not from there. She gave Dave to her uncle & his wife. Dave really loved his adoptive mom... when he was a small kid..she drove off in a cab & said she would be back but she never did. she was an alcoholic. He did get to spend some time with her when he was still a kid. years later when Dave was still a kid his dad remarried.... this woman was so horrific to dave.. from the 1st time he moved there.. his new room was a cot at the top of the stair landing. he was not allowed to go in most rooms...the bath, kitchen, living room, music room was the only thing the house was very big. she used to tell her church friends that she was saving this bast child ( in front of him)
she was terrible to him....one day she threw butcher knives across the room at him.. so he moved out early & lived with friends (he did have a job) He spent a lot of years of his life drinking lots of alcohol..
When I met him.. (at 32) he didn't drink much at all..when we went out..he would have a few & stop.. He didn't drink at home unless we had company. But then a day would come & he would have been at a bar & got plastered.... I was scared cause he always called to tell me he would be late. I would be angry at him for not calling. & worry me. This would only happen once in a while...6 mos later.. or 8 months later it would happen again. maybe 2 or 3 times a year it would happen.. I would be worried that he would drive home & kill himself. after a few years of this.. i said I would really love it if you would not do the alcohol thing so he stopped. the same thing happened but with playing poker.. same exact situation happened for a couple years.. it would only happen once in a while.. one time he stayed so long playing he had felt burns on his arms. He was also losing money we did not have to spend. I said I can't do this with the gambling so if you want to save our marriage you have to stop. He adored his family & me so he did stop thankfully. we went to gamblers anonaaous for a couple years he did stop the poker but a few yrs later he would get drunk again but only a couple times.. a year He got 3 DUIs he had to sped one weekend in jail... later he had to spend 30 days in jail. This time he was so scared because for the 1st time he actually blacked out a couple times .
Then he was scared to drink. we had gone to lots of people over the years.. finally one alcohol counselor said do you realize that you drink when something bad happens??? Dave said..you are right.. all of the times were because his work sales were low or he had a bad review for something work related... his owner said...your management of this place is not good... every single time something bad had happened. He told him that the next time something happens..go shoot some basketball hoops . Dave say too bad you couldn't tell me this lots of years ago.:) Then he stopped drinking. That was a lot of years ago too now..
My daughter has an addictive personality too. She did not really drink in her early 20s but she did start later in her 20s. she would be good drink a normal amount for a couple years but then she switched to drinking as much as you possibly can. It seems that in recent years that college age kids are trying to drink as much as you possibly can in one night. have 2 or 3 drinks...then add a few shots..then add a beer.. it is a contest to see who can drink the most shots every night . Ang started doing this too. this terrified me.. she would go missing at the bar & pass out somewhere or black out somewhere.. her friend would call & say they can't find her. I spent lots of nights driving the parking lots. I was so scared some one would kill her. she wasn't ever thinking she drank too much either.. Finally she stopped drinking.. she says I realize I have an addictive personality so I won't drink.. if she does... it is at home with only a couple & a friend but she hardly ever does that now thankfully. my son is like me I think. He never likes smoking... he never likes drinking so he doesn't ever drink ( I don't think he has either) That was long lol

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
I hated it when I opened one of mom's envelopes and came across someone in a casket and funeral flowers. As soon as I saw one of those - I put all those pictures back in the envelopes and didn't go any further.

Wedding announcements, baby announcements, wedding napkins - they are all there. Everything from my baby showers from both of my kids. Even the order forms to order more copies of pictures that were 50 years old! Doubt if any of the photography studios are even in business any more.

When I was a teenager I thought it would be cool to smoke. My parents would have killed me and they believed in corporal punishment! Bill never smoked and I will never forget when we went on our first date. I opened my purse and got out a cigarette and before I could light it he said, "Not in my car. No way. I'll make a deal with you - if you put it away and don't have one our entire date tonight, I'll take you to Dairy Queen before I take you home and we will get a banana split."

Sounded good so I didn't have a cigarette all evening. After our banana split he told me, "Lets go out tomorrow night and if you don't have a cigarette between now and then or while we are out, we will share another banana split."

So, I went an entire day without one and that night we got a banana split and I ate a few bites and he ate the rest. This went on for weeks - every night we celebrated my not smoking for another 24 hours with a banana split.

I only ate a few bites of the ice cream and we were both as skinny as a rail but I knew I was in love with him on the first date and I knew if there was going to be a future for us, I couldn't be a smoker. Both of his parents were smoker and he would not have a smoker for a girlfriend.

I never had another cigarette. My last cigarette was before our first date. I didn't smoke anymore. I never really tried to quit, I just wanted to please him and I knew very quickly that I had a choice to make. And I love ice cream.

Since both of Bill's parents were smokers and he lost them both to lung cancer he's really against smoking even more now.

He has several t-shirts he wears that say, "Smoke-free Generation" - one that says, "There are cooler ways to die" and if you look through my gallery you will see him constantly in shirts that say, "There are sexier ways to die" with a cigarette with a circle around it and a slash through it.

He had 100 of those made in teal, red, orange, lime green, white and several other colors. He takes a collection of them on cruises and wears them nearly every day in ports and on the ships. I get a lot of comments on his, "Sexier ways to die" shirts but the people who come up to him and tell him they are the best shirts ever always pour in.

That was in 1969. I don't miss the taste of the cigarettes or the smell or the dirty ashtrays or the smell in my car but I do miss having a cigarette in my hand. That was the hardest thing for me to deal with - what to do with my hands. And when I got in social situations where other people were smoking I really missed the motions of smoking if that makes sense.

When I went out for. Drink with friends it was really difficult without a cigarette - that was the hardest part for me. I wasn't really a drinker - I was more of a sipper but I liked to visit and always had a cigarette in my hand and when I'm sitting in a club with friends I still miss having a cigarette so I know it isn't easy.

I don't blame for you for not continuing with the photos. I wouldn't either

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:
My little Doxie scanner has been wonderful Joanie. I take it everywhere and it will scan 300 or 600 dpi. I scan everything at 600 dpi which is picture quality.

Every time I go anywhere, it goes in my suitcase. Its about an inch longer than a ruler and not very big at all - takes up no space. It came with plug attachments for almost every country.

What I really love - will scan directly to computer (if I ever find the software that came with it which I think is long gone but I'm sure I can do it on the internet) or you can pop a flash drive or SD card in the back.

Its sits on the desk in our cabins on the cruise ship next to my computer.

At home however, the big flatbed scanner is easier.

That sure sounds like a great thing to have and so handy too

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• Henri Jean Said:

These are all amazing photos Henri. I love the gold background you chose the temple sure is pretty. I love all of the adorable animal photos.. How wonderful to be able to pet a tiger & an elephant

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• christiscraps61 Said:
My Mum is the same Henri...my Dad has a system of colour coded dots on the bottom of things. This indicates if the item is valuable, or handed down from their grandparents and therefore treasured.
My Mum is always saying" when I go I want you to have this or that, and this is for (insert one of my brothers names).
Ali, well done on the decision to quit smoking, we will all be behind you! I quit 20 years ago after smoking for 17 years. Quit cold turkey, never looked back! My DH tried several times with success, but the last time was successful, and it has now been 2 years. He said the difference was he really wanted too! Times before he thought he should of course, but in his heart didn't really want too!
Everyone has a different experience with it, I guess.
I am very far behind with everyone's comments, just did a quick skim. I will come back and be more thorough.
Linda, how is Dave??

mine were the same too put stickers or tape or something to mark whose it was Dave is doing great thanks for asking hon

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to anda11

good saturday morning dear friends I did find the anniversary card I want to make I did a printout of the sihouette couple I am using from clip art. I did have all the supplies thankfully
1st I am going to cut his birthday card today & make it. Then I am going to make the anniversary one I am lifting I love it

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

hello there

today going into the city to go pay a bill and go to the bank. I am going to try and make a cute Christmas ornament that I saw online use vinyl and you use these tittles that look like a ornament. I been seen a lot of people dong them on facebook.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

that ornament sounds nice Post it when you are done

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to anda11

I will

Henri Jean