Username Post: Making an embossing checklist!        (Topic#1577081)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I've decided to try embossing. I think it's the "wet" kind, with the powders and whatnot. I wanted to post the list of item I think I truly need to get started to make sure I don't forget anything.... OR learn that one brand is definitely worth more investment than another.

So, I think I need:

An embossing stamp pad -- Yes? There are pads out there that are ONLY for embossing?

Stamps -- already got plenty to start practicing

Embossing Powder

Heating tool

That's about all, yes?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

Yes. I recommend the inkssentails Ranger embossing pad. You can also use any slow drying ink to emboss over including Distress in and pigment inks like Colorbox.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Manda_K

Ditto to what Manda said. You can also use Versa Mark to stamp & emboss with.

I'm real tempted to try the Lindy's embossing powder that SB.com has started carrying. I've heard they are superb for stamping.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to flintridgescrapper

What they said!

Also-keep in mind that you can use colored inks with clear powders. That will give you the versatility without a huge investment in the powders....at first.

Have fun!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-31-12 09:27 AM
In response to flintridgescrapper

I've been wanting to try this too. I got a heat tool with my 40% off coupon, but have had a very hard time finding the right ink. I've gathered from these forums that the brand of ink is very important, but the recommended brands seem to always be out of stock at Ms and Js.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Vae

Oooh! Such great information! Thank you, all! I have many Distress Inks and I thought I'd try going clear at first.

I also want to try my hand at embossing chipboard shapes... OOOH! Has anyone ever tried embossing their kid's name on his/her toys? That would save me SO many tiny alphas.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to MommaSaid

if you don't already have one, you might want a heat-resist craft mat, like the one by Tattered Angels (they have a smaller one, but I have the big one cause I make a huge mess).

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to MommaSaid

I also found one of the clear ink embossing pens is helpful for some things. Inkessentials makes one.

You will love it, it's fun!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
Oooh! Such great information! Thank you, all! I have many Distress Inks and I thought I'd try going clear at first.

I also want to try my hand at embossing chipboard shapes... OOOH! Has anyone ever tried embossing their kid's name on his/her toys? That would save me SO many tiny alphas.

wouldn't a sharpie be easier?

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Tina scraps

I do have a pretty nifty mat, now.... Thanks to sb.com!

.... Just thinking with my fingers. I see that I need to "dump" the powder over the image with a larger piece of paper underneath, to help return the rest of the powder back to the jar.

And, yeah, if I fall in love with embossing, I'm investing in the powders by Lindy's Stamp Gang.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

• Tina scraps Said:
  • MommaSaid Said:

wouldn't a sharpie be easier?

If DS didn't posses some freaky skills at making a mess, it might make sense.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I also found one of the clear ink embossing pens is helpful for some things. Inkessentials makes one.

You will love it, it's fun!

Hmm...

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Right! The heating mat! I keep the Ranger one in my crop bag to take with me when I go to crops, but on my table at home I have a non stick oven liner.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
I do have a pretty nifty mat, now.... Thanks to sb.com!

.... Just thinking with my fingers. I see that I need to "dump" the powder over the image with a larger piece of paper underneath, to help return the rest of the powder back to the jar.And, yeah, if I fall in love with embossing, I'm investing in the powders by Lindy's Stamp Gang.

Except in the case of Distress Embossing Powders. They have release crystals and you want to throw those away. Otherwise, you'll eventually end up with a jar full of crystals and no embossing powder.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-31-12 09:51 AM
In response to MommaSaid

Note that the powder you use will make a difference in your happiness!

Whatever embossing powder M's sells was a total FAIL for me. I'm not sure I like Distress Embossing powders either. So, hating the whole thing, my embossing stuff sat unused for a while, total waste of money, and I was tempted to just give it all away.

Then on a whim I ordered some Lindy's recently and I am in LOVE! I ordered more not soon after. Must have all the colors!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to MommaSaid

I love the clear ink embossing pens. I bought a two-pack w/fine-tip & brush-tip by Ranger, but I don't see them in the superstore. I use the fine tip for swirls and lines on pp to add a little glitz to the background. Also works great for embossing handwriting.

One thing to remember with the heat mat...it's not a cutting mat Don't ask me how I know...

Have fun with your experimenting. I'm definitely no expert, but I've been pleased with the results I've gotten.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:

I don't know whether that would work, but here are my personal experiences with embossing on plastics: For one of the pages in my Book of Me, I was able to emboss on a blank CD. Some plastics are really sensitive to the heat gun though; I tried heat embossing on some clear arrows by Applie Pie Memories and it really warped them.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aquabunny

The Lindy's powders are the BEST I have tried. They are very nice, even coverage, nice melt point, smooth, just gorgeous!

I emboss a ton of stuff, from regular stamps to Grungeboard.

I forgot about the mat, it is a must. I use mine all the time, I never put it up, I just have to clean it a lot.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Manda_K

Even with the larger paper underneath, I tend to make a mess, so I recently bought a small, funnel type thing from michael's to catch catch the powder and pour it back in to the jar.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut

I really like "Perfect Medium" for embossing, I have had nothing but good luck with it!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-31-12 01:30 PM
In response to crazycricut

Do you have to have stamps to do embossing? I don't want to start buying stamps because I have very little space for supplies and I try to only buy things that I will get a lot of use from. I can see myself buying a stamp to only use it one time. Are there other things you can do for embossing besides stamps?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Vae

you can use the embossing ink pens or you can use the ink pad to entirely cover, say, a die cut or letters or something like that.

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb
In response to crazycricut

I do quite a bit of embossing. I use Versamark watermark stamp pad. It's about the slowest drying, which is what you need for this. I usually use Zing embossing powder by American Crafts. I pour my powder in a sandwich size plastic container. You know the type you can buy with like 4 or 5 in a package for a couple of bucks. I put a spoon in there too. That way when I want to emboss, I use the spoon to pour it over the stamping, and hold it over the plastic container. It falls right back where it belongs, so no clean up.
I really only use black and white. I can color whatever I stamped (like a flower) with distress inks or pens. The white looks amazing when you ink o over it because it acts like a resist.
If I ever get around to it, I need to get on regular PC and download some photos. Im usually on iPad, and I don't have that stuff on here.

Edited by SherylEb on 05-31-12 03:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Do you have to have stamps to do embossing? I don't want to start buying stamps because I have very little space for supplies and I try to only buy things that I will get a lot of use from. I can see myself buying a stamp to only use it one time. Are there other things you can do for embossing besides stamps?

I emboss a little to add some zing to a kinda blah paper...when it just looks like it needs something extra. This is when I especially like the Perfect Medium pens, or I use them to add a title to a page. You can handwrite, or "color in" a stencil with the pen, then add the embossing powder.

On this lo I printed the background, added some frosty spray mist, added a few sparkly snowflakes and then used the PM pen and sparkly white embossing powder on some of the branches. It doesn't show up great in the picture, but in real life, it really adds the sparkle the page needed. (Also the lo really is square, it just doesn't look like it in the picture )

Snow Play By Mrsdriver5

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Do you have to have stamps to do embossing? Are there other things you can do for embossing besides stamps?

No, you don't need to use stamps....
You can emboss chipboard shapes, you can draw with the embossing pens and then use the powder, heat set etc..., you can emboss the edges of paper. There are lots of ideas really...but once you do it, you WILL want to get some stamps and do more embossing, I guarantee it!
Embossing is my go-to technique, I think...I use it on just about every page.....
I use Versamark embossing pads (I like "frost) and mostly Zing embossing powders (I like their glitter ones, not too glittery, just a bit of sparkle).....

On this one, I embossed the letters, around the edge of the paper and on the ice cream cone embellishment....
Things we love about Summer! By Kiyawinn

On this one, I used embossing around the edge of the paper in a contrasting colour and on the chipboard alphas....
Christmas Morning By Kiyawinn

Have fun with it!
Alison

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to kiyawinn

Some great advice here.

Here's another trick I've learned for getting the powder back in the tubs again. I found that the funnel and plastic trays get static so the powder sticks to them.

Now I decant mine into flat plastic containers (like Chinese takeaway containers) and keep a plastic picnic teaspoon in the tub with the powder. Then I can spoon the powder over the inked page and tip the excess straight back into the tub with very little mess and waste.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to RedSquirrel UK

one more thing I use for embossing ... a thin, clean, dry paint brush to brush away stray powder before heating it ... works like a charm

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to madmatter

It's amazing to me how we all use these different products to great result.

I started with some cheap pigments inks from ACMoore and Ranger's clear embossing powder because I wanted to use different colours but figured ink would be smarter than tons of little bottles of powder. Then I read somewhere that I could use my Distress Inks since they were slow drying. That was exciting because I already had those in tons of colours. But when I tried it - no luck. The ink would dry before I could pour the powder on. Then I discovered Versamark and my life changed and I started doing what I told myself I wouldn't - collecting all those tiny bottles of powder in colours of the rainbow. Then I lucked on to a blog post where the crafter inked up the stamp first with Versamark and then with a dye ink before stamping and embossing. I tried it and voila! Suddenly all my Distress Inks were working perfectly for the technique and I was happy. And once I discovered the static removing embossing buddy I was ecstatic.

It may be a little frustrating at first finding the tools that work for you. But there's something so magical about watching that powder go from matte to shiny, it puts a smile on my face and makes it all worthwhile...

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-01-12 10:56 AM
In response to traceyjean

Versamark and then Distress Ink, I have to try this!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to stick

I have never done that either! Good idea!!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Manda_K

So, I dove in. I've got the "my FIRST husband" version of a heat too, an embossing pad, by Stampabilities (something tells me I'll be trying Versamark soon) and a little pot of clear embossing powder.

I now love embossing enough to keep trying. Thank you, TracyJean, for another way to use the Distress Ink. I tried using it alone with the embossing powder. It did okay, but I didn't get the whole stamped image -- an issue I have with Distress Ink anyway. I'll try your tip and see if it helps.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-02-12 06:42 AM
In response to MommaSaid

Anne, that's actually kinda the point with Distress Ink, to look old and distressed and rough around the edges if you want a crisp stamped image you have to use a different kind of ink - Memento or Tsukineko or something. And for a crisp embossed image the Versamark watermark ink with colored powder.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to stick

I know that; it's why I only use them to ink up the edges of my paper now. Still, I wanted to see what would happen and hoped my ability to persuade stamped images to come out nice had an effect. Not so much. The perks of learning!

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to MommaSaid

My stampabilities pad has went dry way too soon considering all my other pads purchased a few years earlier are still working great I think it should have lasted a bit longer. lol Thinking of buying a re inker kinda thing for it maybe or something new altogether.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics