Username Post: Favorite Circle Cutter        (Topic#1577329)
ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

There's a lot out there & I REALLY WANT ONE!!! So, give your opinion!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappinGirl162

I have the small Martha Stewart. Not happy with it. My circles are not smooth.

Underneath is a razer blade with a cover and I've lost the cover. It has always just fallen off so I have to be careful reaching into my box of punches where I keep it.

I may throw it away rather than having a tool with an exposed razer blade.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to Henri Jean

This one?
Products Referenced in This Post:

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

I have used Creative Memories cutting system for years and LOVE it! It was one of the first "official" tools I purchased. I get so much use out of my circles and ovals. I also have the star and diamond but don't seem to use them as much. I really want to get the giant circle sometime!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

No, that isn't mine. Martha Steward circle cutter has an arm that swings out and goes around the center with the blade under the end of the arm.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

I love my creative memories cutters

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Ohio4HMom

I have the creative memories and the EK success both work well, if you have a cricut just use it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sneezy1956

I have a cricut but I needed to cut a circle out of a photo and out of a certain place in my paper. WHen I got to some of the larger circles I needed I used my cricut but for the circles out of patterned paper where I want to line up the pattern or out of photos I really want a good circle cutter.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.

I have the Creative Memories as well as the Fiskars cutting systems. I do prefer the Creative Memories one over the Fiskars though.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt
In response to SandraB.

I also love my Creative Memories circle cutter.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

• Henri Jean Said:
No, that isn't mine. Martha Steward circle cutter has an arm that swings out and goes around the center with the blade under the end of the arm.

THIS ONE?
Except small?

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

I'll have to look into that...

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot

I agree with the other ladies....I just recently sold all of my creative memories cutters but did keep the circles and ovals....tried tested and true I love it. I also have the MS cutter same as Henri Jean and used it a handfull of times before realizing it wasn't the tool for me...think I'll sell mine on the local buy and sell site =)

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

• Vintageivy Said:
I have used Creative Memories cutting system for years and LOVE it! It was one of the first "official" tools I purchased. I get so much use out of my circles and ovals. I also have the star and diamond but don't seem to use them as much. I really want to get the giant circle sometime!

Exactly what she said

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Yes - that is my circle cutter. It seems that the circle is not fluid no matter how much I try and the exposed blade on the underside concerns me. The little cap just didn't stay on and finally got lost.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-06-12 08:05 PM

I've been looking for a good Oval cutter. Does the CM one do ovals too or do you have to have 2 tools?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Vae

I love my CM system. I have the small circles and ovals, the stars, and the mixed shapes (heart, egg shape, and I can't recall what the other one is...I rarely use that one). I also have the large oval, circle, and square. I've had this system for many years, back when it was still the fixed blades and not the new blades that sort of rotate as you are cutting. It's a great system.

You could also invest in a Grand Calibur and the Grand Nesties, which have many different shapes. More of a cost investment, but my understanding is that it cuts materials other than paper, too. I haven't tried other materials in mine yet. With the Spellbinders, you can emboss as well as cut. If you don't need to go as big as the Grands, you could use a smaller die cutting machine and buy the regular nesties. I get all of mine with sales and coupons.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
I've been looking for a good Oval cutter. Does the CM one do ovals too or do you have to have 2 tools?

The CM system comes as separate purchases, sort of like when you buy dies.
You buy the blades and cutting mat as one purchase.
Circles come as a separate item.
Ovals are another item.
Big oval is another item.
Big circle is another item.
Etc.

I've invested a lot of money in my CM system. IMO, best way to get it is to have a party in your house and earn the money off of one based on your sales. That's how I started mine and got the blades/mat, circles, and ovals. Then I just bought the big ones at a friend's party or from my vendor through email.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Vae

I have the CM circle cutting system too and also really like it. I invested in the Fiskars too at first and didn't care for that one nearly as much. The CM system is just so much easier to use.

• Quote:

You buy one whole system... with the blades and the guides and the cutting mat and then you just have to buy the guides part for the other shape. I know CM can be pricey but these two products were so worth it.

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to KatieJo

I have the CM system and love it!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Shutterbugg

another CM fan here ... I have the small ovals and circles . but it's the jumbo shapes that I adore and I get the most use out of ... the jumbo circle and oval are, in my opinion, 2 of the best products CM has ever released ... I have the other jumbo shapes too, and use them, but the giant circle and oval are my faves

here are 3 LOs from my gallery where I used the CM jumbo circle cutter

My Girl By Madmatter

Senior Prom 2011 By Madmatter

Me & You By Madmatter

purpledurple
Idol
purpledurple
In response to madmatter

I love my CM circle and ovals too...and soooo love the jumbo circle. Madmatter have you seen the jumbo square with the fancy corners? I'm really wanting that one.

Oh and your lo are awesome!!

Edited by purpledurple on 06-07-12 04:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to purpledurple

I have the jumbo circle, scalloped circle, oval, and the wavy square ... I don't have the fancy frame, but will obviously need to buy it asap

(and thanks for the love)

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys

I have the MS 12" one and I love it!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-07-12 08:52 AM
In response to Amarilys

Madmatter, did you use the circle cutter and then some kind of border punch to make your circles with the designs in them? Or how did you do that? I have been trying to achieve this look and I keep messing it up.

Your LOs are gorgeous!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I used to have the Fiskars system, then the MS one first pictured above.....Now, I just use my Spellbinders and my BigShot....
I find it way easier and you can place the circle wherever you like on the paper/photo etc...

Alison

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I used to use my coluzzle. I had big & small circles but now I use my Curvy cutter by EK success for big ones. I use my Lifestyle crafts/Quickutz circle die set that has 20 in it in for small ones. I use them on my Big shot by Sizzix. I love both of them.

Edited by anda11 on 06-07-12 12:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Resident
In response to Amarilys

I have the MS large circle cutter and really like it. The blade does worry me a bit but make sure it is always put away so my daughter or kitties cannot get to it. I also have the Fiskar cutter that is clear and orange and absolutely hate it. I have never been able to figure out how to use it properly.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to madmatter

Madmatter-Oh,those layouts are fabulous!!!!!!!!! Now I just have to get the large CM circle!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think I need to find somewhere to get the CM large circle cutter (small ones too). I absolute hate my Martha Stewart circle cutter and would love to get rid of it.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

So the CM, huh?... There's 2 parts, right?... How much?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

And where can you get it?

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean

Henri Jean, if you're not using a glass cutting mat that may be part of the problem. I've used the EK Success Curvy Cutter and found I started getting better circles with the glass mat. I own the EK Success Circle Cutter Pro and I love it. The "razor" portion remains hidden until you push down to release it; and clips on the side of the tool so I always know where it is without worrying about my fingers...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to traceyjean

I'm using a 12" glass mat. My circles just look rough and uneven and I don't know why.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Another fan of the CM circle (and other shapes) of the creative cutting system.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Madmatter, did you use the circle cutter and then some kind of border punch to make your circles with the designs in them? Or how did you do that? I have been trying to achieve this look and I keep messing it up.

Your LOs are gorgeous!

you are so sweet ... yes, I use the circle cutter and then use an MS corner punch around the edges ... if it doesn't line up when you get back to the first punch, I just use a flower or other embellishment to cover it up

the best part is that with different circle sizes and different punches, you can get lots of different looks with the same technique

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to madmatter

Henri - I believe there is a CM consultant somewhere on here but I cannot, for the life of me, come up with her name. If she doesn't pop up here, let me know via PM and if you are still interested in the CM system, I would be happy to make the connection for you with my sister in law, who has been a CM consultant since 1998.

I get all of my CM products from her... obviously! :o)

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-07-12 08:28 PM

I *think* moxiegirl23 is a CM consultant. I will PM her and give her a head's up about this thread.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Vae

I'm a consultant. PM me and I'll send you the info you're looking for.

Thanks, Jarvae, for PMing me about this thread.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to moxiegirl23

I'll pm you in a minute Liz. I have run into you before on other threads and enjoyed chatting with you!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg

Yes! That's who I was trying to remember here - Moxiegirl23! Thank you Jarvae for remembering!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-08-12 07:19 PM

Glad I could help! I need to check them out as well as I really need an oval cutter for photos and I don't feel comfortable doing that on my cricut.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I got an pm from Liz and answered her. She and I used to be on the same boards so I recognized her immediately!

Anyway, I have a question - what is the purpose of 3 different blades? I was going to pm her and ask - I checked her site but didn't say if I needed all 3.

I want to order the oval, the small round ones and the larger round one from her. Everyone here seems to think they are the best so that is what I'm going to try.

I will place my order soon - Bill wants to go to Hawaii on Monday now and I'm trying to stall for a couple weeks. If we leave I'll have to wait a couple weeks to order.

DaniKat
Diva
DaniKat

The 3 blades are different distances from the cutting track, so you have a little bit of range with the size of the circle you're cutting. Like when you're matting a photo, you want two different sizes.

Another CM circle cutter fan here. Bought mine in 1999. I didn't realize they had a large one! Sooooo tempting....

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to DaniKat

I still use my little old colluzzle. It's limiting on the size but if i'm wanting something cut in a certain area on a photo or paper I use it and if it just needs to be any old circle I use my cricut.

I have the circles, and some tags and an alphabet set.

Takes some getting use to but i'm not bad with the circles and tags. But I haven't used it in a year cause I don't cut my photos into shapes anymore.

Edited by Cindyckj on 06-08-12 08:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Cindyckj

Thanks - that makes sense. Guess I'll understand more when I order it.

If we are leaving Monday I have to wait until we get back to order but if we can postpone the trip (got my fingers crossed) I can order now.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

The 3 blades give you more sizes.

Take for example the jumbo circle shape. It is a fixed size with a track for the blade to sit in.

You can face the blade towards the inside for smaller circle or the outside for larger.

The 3 blades are offset different distances from the "guide" that sits in the groove of the shape to give 3 sizes for each shape - and by each shape I mean the outside AND the inside.

Some of the shapes are different from the inside and outside but the circles are just circles - so 6 jumbo circles.

Liz can correct me - just don't know the terminology.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to corrie fan

Thank you for explaining! I have to hold off until I find out if we are leaving on Monday or not. If not, then I can order now.

creater1
Diva
creater1

Are they still available. I got mine from a friend who had bought this system and she sold all of the scrappy stuff.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to creater1

I got the info from Liz and will order as soon as I know if I will be here next week or two so I can take the order. Husband is talking about a flight to Hawaii tomorrow but I don't think we are going to try for it. The flight is 18 hours and that is way too long for Hawaii!

KatieAnna
Tenant
KatieAnna

I've been scrapbooking for over 10 years and have tried several different ways to cut circles. I have the CM circle cutter system with the original circles and that works great. But then I invested in the Nestability nested dies and found that I use them the most. I have four sets of circles and ovals - the large and the small and the scalloped edge circles and ovals for nesting. I use my Big Kick with the dies.

Edited by bluesonata on 06-11-12 04:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

Henri, you can order CM directly from their catalog online.

I don't think you need a consultant, but if you do let me know I have a girl I know who can help you.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Ohio4HMom

You do need a consultant, unless the office changed something and didn't inform me :). You can order from a consultant online (provided your consultant offers online ordering, which I do), but all orders go through a consultant. (Really, the president of the company needed to order some stuff when he was new, and he had to pick a consultant!)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks OHio mom but Liz has already contact me and I'm really comfortable ordering from her.

We didn't go to Hawaii today (so glad, so much I want to do here for a few more days - would rather wait until next month for Hawaii) so I will go ahead and place my order after I come back from lunch.

I'm going to get the 3 blade set, the large circle, the oval and the set of smaller circles.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

No problem Henri

I have them all except the large oval - didn't think I'd use it really

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Ohio4HMom

Oh and don't forget to get the 12x12 pad if you're getting the large cutters if you don't have a large self healing mat!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ohio4HMom

Thanks - I need a self healing mat - I need to check with Liz and see if CM has one and I can just throw it on the order. Thank you for reminding me!

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Ohio4HMom

• Ohio4HMom Said:
No problem Henri

I have them all except the large oval - didn't think I'd use it really

I didn't know they sold the larger oval (thought it was a gift for buying so much). Many years ago I got it and have used it to make cut-out mats for a large pictures(8x10), and also used the cut out part for a huge easter-egg background. You're right though, not alot of uses for the larger oval. I use all the CM cutting templates regularly and always take them to crops.

Teresa0817
Expert
Teresa0817

Creative Memories, hands down!! Worth every penny.

Edited by teresa0817 on 06-12-12 07:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan
In response to wilbur

Wilbur - they did have one oval years ago that was a gift for purchasing - can't recall the name of that program but it was a loyalty thing.

Now there is one that is stand alone - no other shapes. I think it is larger than the previous one.

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to corrie fan

So I've been wondering....
Henri Jean, did you get the CM system?
Isn't it awesome?

Or are you basking on a beach in Hawaii still?

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Use a coupon at J's or Hobby Lobby and head to the sewing dept. for a FISKARS self healing mat. They don't sell them here in the superstore. I love mine so much... I have 2 in different sizes.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I still want to get the CM circle system but we are going to be on the road for at least 2 more months. Right now we are in Seattle.

Sunday we start an Alaska cruise. Then when we get back to Seattle we fly back to Alaska, this time to Anchorage for about a week.

From there we are going to Hawaii for 2-3 weeks. THen we are going to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone and then back down through Georgia. OUr granddaughter's 1st birthday party is Sept 1st and we plan to be there. Then from there we will finally go home.

Then I can order the CM circle cutter.

scrappingmommyof2girls
Idol
scrappingmommyof2girls

Martha Stewart all the way for me. I have the small and large one and use them both easily...

Edited after I read the thread to say that for those of you worried about the blade being exposed on the large cutter, there's a notch for it to go into. If you turn it over and look, you'll see it there. You just turn it around until it goes into the notch and then it's stuck there until you pull up on the knob to release it. I didn't realize it was there at first myself so that's why I'm sharing!

Edited by scrappingmommyof2girls on 07-14-12 07:23 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

darkone
New Kid On the Block
darkone
In response to scrappingmommyof2girls

I have the whole Fiskars set, cutter and lots and lots of templates! Love it and so much easier then the CM one, you have to be an octopus to use it!

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to darkone

• darkone Said:
I have the whole Fiskars set, cutter and lots and lots of templates! Love it and so much easier then the CM one, you have to be an octopus to use it!

Are you talking about the recently discontinued Creative Cuts System? Because that's junk. Everyone else here is discussing the Custom Cutting System which has won CK awards several years running.

The Biscuit Scraps
Resident
The Biscuit Scraps

Creative Memories, hands down! I've had mine since 2002 and LOVE it. I added all the extras after I bought the original circles and ovals sets.

I've also owned the EK success one, but I really don't like.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics