Username Post: Unintentional Collection        (Topic#1578173)
dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

Have you accumulated an "unintentional collection" of one particular item? Something you find yourself buying more and more of just because you can't pass it by? Mine consists of typewriter stamps (wood mounted). I've gotten quite a collection of them, but still whenever I see a new one, I absolutely CANNOT pass it by. what is it that you just keep collecting, though you never intended to.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

Patterned Papear. I just can't stop buying it. And die-cuts or cut-outs. I just keep buying them.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Henri Jean

My collection (addiction!!) is embossing and dies for the Cuttlebug... any brand. Everyone in my big is perfect!!!

scrappy_day
Idol
scrappy_day
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Flowers!! I see a pretty pack, they just jump into my cart or basket.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to scrappy_day

Punches. How many does a girl need?

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to 950nancy

Flowers for me as well! It's a running joke with some girls I scrap with on Wednesday's that I can't do a lo without one! lol I have those plastic contairs from target, the green clippy ends. I have 7 of those STUFFED with flowers, plus about 10-15 jars of flowers....AND I just bought a few at JAS! LOL

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-02-12 01:48 PM
In response to 950nancy

I can't seem to stop buying dies and punches in christmas light shapes. I also seem to have several dies in the shape of signs and billboards. And anything in a cloud shape - I even bought chipboard clouds recently and I NEVER use chipboard ... I'm not entirely certain what to do with them, lol.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Samothrace

DWelch!

I just saw your comment on my blog and laughed- I have quite a collection of manual typewriter stamps, TOO.

I also learned to type on a manual typewriter. I got one for Christmas when I was...very young. And with my Mom's old college typing textbook (!) - I began to teach myself to type in my bedroom.

I would KILL to still have my old typewriter! I dont even remember what happened to it...

-K

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to designguyKORY

punches, specifically the Martha Stewart around-the-page ones
Nestabilities (I blame this one squarely on Holly )

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to madmatter

Letter stickers. Ribbon. Book-themed paper. Neat clear stamps, which I rarely use no matter how great they are. Autumn-themed stuff, even though I do only maybe 4 autumn pages a year.

scrapbookingteacher
Idol
scrapbookingteacher
In response to aquabunny

Mine is brads.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to aquabunny

Punches, paint, buttons/brads aaaannnnnd glimmer mists. Oh and now the craze is also "washi tape". Of course I love stamps (butterflies, hearts, flowers and such).

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to dwelch

mine "MUST HAVE" is NAUTICAL anything.
I just bought these over the weekend.

Sing it with me...
Sailing takes me away
To where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to ...

Expert
In response to Mia1979

Teapots, teacups,and coffee things seem to be my weakness. Whether they be stamps, embellishments, paper...anything!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to deedee49

I have an unintentional collection of border punches. I have at least 15 and I didn't buy a single one of them. It's so weird- any time I win something, it's bound to contain a border punch! I've even won the same border punch three times.

Cindy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-02-12 03:57 PM
In response to deedee49

FLOWERS FLOWERS FLOWERS!!! I'm trying to figure out how to organize and store them now because I have so many bins and boxes full of flowers!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
FLOWERS FLOWERS FLOWERS!!! I'm trying to figure out how to organize and store them now because I have so many bins and boxes full of flowers!

Im with you on that one. I went through a phase where I bought soooo many Prima flowers in different colors. I still have them in rubbermaid containers. I rarely use them. I need to though.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Mia1979

I adore flowers, but they don't qualify as a collection, because I use them up as fast as I buy them

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to madmatter

Pattern paper, pattern paper and even more pattern paper....

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to debby_westbrook

Didn't think about it but I'm with Gelidy - anything nautical.

Plus cruise, beach, and travel stuff. Can't resist travel stuff for different countries whether I'm planning to go there or not. I might some day.

I've even got papers and embellies for places like Morocco. I'm not planning on going there. But it could happen and I'm prepared.

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to debby_westbrook

Border stickers and die cuts. I have at least 50 of them and I rarely use them. They are just so darn cute!

Kory-that's funny about the typewriter. When I was a kid I begged for one for Christmas because I was going to be the next Great American Novelist (LOL-that did not work out). I just asked my mom a week ago if it was still in the attic. She laughed at me and told me that she got rid of it like 10 years ago. it's too bad, some legit typewritten journaling would have made a great LO...

klong618
Tenant
klong618
In response to michelley2002

Baby themed anything!!! I haven't even started my son's book and I'm pretty sure I have enough paper and stickers to make 3 books.
Also I just recently started using brads and now I can't get enough of those either. That clearance sale at Js on saturday did me in!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to michelley2002

So glad I am not suffering alone. Misery DOES like company. I just did a video about what I thought was just an unintentional collection, but I was sadly very wrong. I am not just collecting things but have a REAl disease that is threatening scrappers worldwide. SAF!!! Scrappers Avian Flu/Flew. More info on my blog and video tomorrow. And yes Henri Jean, I am pimping :-)

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

Pens, pencils and markers oh my! Yup, I have Copics, Prismacolors, Tombows, gel, metallic, and a whole motley crew that I can't even remember the brands. I can't get enough!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Crafting Marfa

I will be on the road tomorrow but I will have to go take a peek. I can get some things on my phone but frustrating because it is so darn small, so most likely it will be from a hotel tomorrow night. Have several days of yours to catch up.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Adhesives. I'm a glue junkie. I love to use different adhesives for different things. Most of my collection were gifts or items that I won. I would have never thought of collecting adhesives intentionally!

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to dwelch

Patterned paper and ANYTHING with Christmas - paper, embellishments, cartridges, stamps, ribbon, and on and on. I just can't resist Christmas!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Adhesives. I'm a glue junkie. I love to use different adhesives for different things. Most of my collection were gifts or items that I won. I would have never thought of collecting adhesives intentionally!

for some reason this cracked me up ... adhesives?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-02-12 08:03 PM
In response to madmatter

Adhesives... that is great! I love it! I don't have enough adhesives... I am determined to find only one (ok, maybe 2) kind that works for everything.

I did realized tonight that I have much more ribbon than I thought. So I spent the evening reorganizing it for the 3rd time. Hopefully my new method will stick.

Tomorrow I'm planning on getting some vertical paper holders as my cart is now officially over capacity and the drawers are collapsing.

Still have no idea what to do with all these flowers. Oh and klong618, I'm with you on the brads. I just started collecting them too and now I have tons!! Guess I need to find a good way to store those too.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
  • Luvmyfam Said:

for some reason this cracked me up ... adhesives?

That is so funny...just tonight I was thinking about when I first started scrapping. I'd see pictures of scraprooms and they'd have so many different kinds of adhesives. I thought they were crazy....who needed that many different kinds??? Guess who has 2 baskets full now??

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to flintridgescrapper

This is soo funny!
I can't seem to pass up really cute journalling cards, buttons, ribbon, Christmas stuff, and Halloween stuff.....
I actually use the journalling cards but have so many, it would take me to next year to use them all!
I realized at some point that I don't even use buttons on layouts and hardly ever use ribbon.....I did manage to purge a bunch of ribbon and buttons but I held on to the really cute ones......and still don't use them!!

Alison

Tenant
In response to kiyawinn

For me it's brads and paper about to go on a 10 day holiday and all I want is to bring home more brads and paper! I'm just starting to collect punches to

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

i guess mine would be sizzix dies?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to designguyKORY

• designguyKORY Said:
DWelch!

I just saw your comment on my blog and laughed- I have quite a collection of manual typewriter stamps, TOO.

I also learned to type on a manual typewriter. I got one for Christmas when I was...very young. And with my Mom's old college typing textbook (!) - I began to teach myself to type in my bedroom.

I would KILL to still have my old typewriter! I dont even remember what happened to it...

-K

Mine is getting even worse. I recently bought two (not one - TWO) old portable manual typewriters at a flea market! I keep my stamps scattered around those. A friend of mine also gave me her mom's old (REALLY old) shorthand books and I have those there as well.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dwelch

Christmas paper. And NO MORE, I've stopped. I have enough to make cards for the next 10 years and then some. I have to remind myself that I make at most 2-4 Christmas LOs per year, I don't need a collection pack for that.

Double-sided tape. I mean it isn't a collection exactly, because it all disappears, but I seem to have a stack of rolls in my drawer at any given time.

Darla I have 2 typewriter wooden stamp sets, because I bought a smaller set when I was travelling. That's one more than I need. I just need the matching numbers now and I'll be all set.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to flintridgescrapper

When I got my CE2 I had planned to get 1 or 2 carts because most of them are too cutesy. But I started getting more of them because I love labels, butterflies and flowers.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse

Glitter and clear glass Christmas ornaments.

Veteran
In response to dwelch

Mine is snowflakes and leaves, mostly maple. I'm not sure how unintentional it is though - as I seem to zone in on any in any store; as these are not restricted to crafts or scrapbooking. I have tons of stamps and punches and embellishments; but also candles, candle holders, centerpieces, table cloths, napkin rings, lanterns - (on and on and on). Oh ya - it's bad!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to dwelch

My worst/best unintentional collection would be holiday paper - Christmas, Halloween, St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, whatever. If they had Groundhog Day paper, I'd probably buy that, too. I'm obsessed with that pretty, pretty paper! However, with no kids, no nephews/neices/neighbors I have very limited use for holiday paper. How many holiday pictures of cats can you scrap???

And stamps. I don't stamp, but I keep buying them. And I bought a whole set of watercolor markers and have never used them because I don't color in things I never stamp.

Edited by meezerpleaser on 07-03-12 08:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to meezerpleaser

Ah, yeah, I have a snowflake problem too. Which doesn't make sense; I make only about two dozen Christmas cards a year, which are all different and aren't all snowflakey, and I have little to no need for Christmas/winter layouts.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to aquabunny

Meezerpleaser... you're in the same boat I'm in! My poor dog gets posed for a lot of shots just so his mama can make a scrapbook page.

My collection is ledger paper; if I see a pp printed like a ledger, I have to have it. I didn't even think about it until I read a post above, but I also have a large collection of journalling spots.... and I don't even like to journal, so they just sit and don't get used. Some are just so cute though.

Gee, thanks for posting that cool stamp set Darla; I think I have to go find that now!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to *jesse*

I do buy a lot of flowers and flower collections, do have 3 shelves of them...but..the 'surprise unintentional collection" is valentine's day paper and packs and kits.

I just filled an Iris container with them...and we don't even really celebrate.

hmmmmmm

mschiddy
Resident
mschiddy

I think I collected everything I've collected on purpose. I'm a craft hoarder.

Resident
In response to mschiddy

Anything winter...love snowflakes and snowmen! I buy paper, stamps, stickers..anything winter. Then I just want to hoard it and not use it because it is so pretty!

~Trish

KayMCee
Expert
KayMCee
In response to stvmom2

Fellow scrappy supply hoarder here... I still have an ongoing obsession with stamps. Going through what I have and reducing the load by removing the impulse buys I've never opened. 2nd obsession is all things ribbon. I was using them quite a bit last year. My supply is tooooo big & now I'm working on a way to reduce how much space they take! Then I'll start enjoying them again! My DD loves all the ribbon too!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to KayMCee

I'd have to say anything music related since my daughter played piano and violin and sang in the church and school choirs.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to dwelch

Prima Flowers! Have probably 25 bottles/tubes/boxes of them! Oops make that 35! I just can't help it!

OMG had to edit this cause the more I looked in my drawers and shelves I found about 25 mists, about 30 stamp pads and a whole bunch of those little dollar stamps from michaels and tons of patterned papers, and a few shoe boxes of ribbons and yarns and a shelf of sb magazines.

I'm so out of room!

Edited by Cindyckj on 07-03-12 10:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bersie 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Cindyckj

Anything that has to do with scrapbooking. I just keep buying, not sure what i like more scrapbooking or shopping for scrapbooking.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to bersie

mine would have to be Stampin Up Stamps

I have a TON and most have never been used.

I have every intention of using them when I buy them - just not the time... I should sell them

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to Ohio4HMom

If you sell them that's when you'll need them. lol

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to Cindyckj

I have an unintentional collection of stamps. I don't stamp often and barely like to but it's hard to resist a cute stamp set. Everytime they are on sale I have remind myself I won't use it cause if not, I will buy at least one set.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss

Brads. Alphabet stickers. And anything with butterflies.

Jen

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-11-12 01:45 PM
In response to bersie

• bersie Said:
Anything that has to do with scrapbooking. I just keep buying, not sure what i like more scrapbooking or shopping for scrapbooking.

LOL this has been me lately! I haven't had time to scrap in a long while but I have some huge projects coming up so I keep acquiring more.

4 packages should be waiting at the door when I get home today. So excited!!!!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

Right now I can't seem to pass up pretty lace and stamps!! I just got into stamping and now I'm officially addicted and can't pass up buying a set when they are one sale!! I do try to purchase sets that I will use in a project(:

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics