Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Operation Handmande Blessings CLOSED Distribute 12/22        (Topic#1578853)
crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Please read this carefully as this is a different Kind of Swap!!!

I am back again for OPERATION HANDMADE BLESSINGS!!! Those of you that participated last year we had a blast and thank you so much for your gifts and giving. Those men and women in the Nursing Home enjoyed every handmade item you gave. I hope you all got to make it to the site to see all the items you sent in and all the pictures I posted on Operation Handmade Blessings.

For those of you that do not know what I am talking about here is a little background and you can also get the entire mission at the site I provided above.

This is a differnt swap. This swap you will be on the giving end. Over a year ago I came up with operation handmade blessings to use my gift of crafting and scrapping to give back to those who are living in nursing homes and Assisted Living Facilities. I started making handmade that we make for swaps and made them for the women there. Shirt pins, altered boxes for their belongings like jewelry letters and photos, hair clips, cards for birthdays and anniversaries, beaded jewelry and so on. I then realized that this really blessed them because of lot of them had no family and the normal life there were used to was now gone. I decided that If God gave me this gift, I am going to use it to be a blessing so that he can get the glory from it. Then here is were operation handmade blessing came in. I said to myself that I may not be the only one that is interested in doing this so I posted it here on scrabook.com and got a great group of people That wanted to help out and make and send items.

I will have more than one distribution date. There will be one in October 18th so any items themed for October you can have them in by the 10th There will also be one December 22nd So have those items in by December 10th. I am making and collecting things for the months of August September October Novemeber and December. Anything that is put on your heart to give. Here are accepted handmade items:

Crochet hats, socks and scarfs. altered boxes, handmade hair clips, shirt pins, handmade bracelets, greeting cards of all occasions, paperbag albums for those I take picture with for keepsakes for them, handmade pockets to hang on wheelchairs and walkers to put little itmes they like to carry around. bookmarks for books and bibles, I also give them word search puzzles but I usually purchase those since I don't want anyone to send bought items. handmade bows for the Christmas tree. They have a tree in the cafeteria that they decorate, any banners for the tree, fall themed items for the month of October and November, anmd much more... you can be creative and send anything your heart desires. I got such a variety last time that they were just so exicted to receive bags full of handmade goodness. Please visit the site to get more details on operation handmade blessing.

If you would like to participate please post here and I will add your name. you can specify what you would like to give and send. For participationg your name will be added on the blog for a 2012 participant and a blinki for your blog that you are participant in Operation Handmade Blessing. I will also send every person something that participate in this years operation. I will be sending something out in January for the participants. I hope to see everyone who participated last time and also those that wanted to participate that was a little too late, and those that did not know about this last time.

Where to send Items:

Toccara Feliciano
Operation Handmade Blessing
6426 Oaktree Ct.
tampa, fl 33610

If you have any questions please let me know send me a PM or visit the site Operation Handmade Blessing for the e-mail address associated with this Operation.

PARTICIPANTS

1. Toccara
2.Oh Scrap It(Esmeralda)
3.Finally Mama ( Melody)
4. Provinca ( Anna)
5. Naneetootie...(Bon)
6.Crafty mom..(Amy)
7. Dkarvec ( Debbie)
8. Tex Lady
9.I heart scrapping (Bonnie)
10. Terri Hooper
11.Briannas Mom (Mandi)
12. Adriann

OhScrapIt
Tenant
OhScrapIt
In response to crafty lefty

I'd like to participate! Please count me in.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to OhScrapIt

Awesome I will put you down. Please visit operation handmade blessing so that you can see what we did last year and photo's of who we helped. Thanks so much for joining.

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

Hi Toccara!! I'll work on a few things to send you!! What a sweety your are to keep up with this ministry!!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to FinallyMama

Hi Melody!! thanks for joining me again in this mission. You sent so many great things and They will be happy again to receive some great items from you. Thanks for joining:)

provinca
Governor
provinca

Toccara, this is an absolutely beautiful idea! I'd love to participate. I will send 2 altered keepsake boxes -- one for a woman and one for a man! I'll try to get them to you by the October date, but if not, they'll definitely be there before the December date!!!

What a wonderful thing you are doing!!!

Edited by provinca on 07-23-12 04:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-23-12 05:48 PM
In response to provinca

Toccara,

Sign me up!!! I will most definitely help out!! I love the idea and the thought that I can be a part of such a wonderful mission!!!

You are one in a million Girl!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to NaneeTootieBeebleBug

Toccara, I am in again. I felt so good to do this the last time. Thank you for doing this again! You are such a blessing to so many!!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to provinca

Hi Anna So glad that you will be joining us:) Thanks for what you will be sending in. They are going to love it. I will put you down!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Hi Bon:) I am so glad that you will be joining us! Thanks so much for your comments I give all glory to God for chosing me to do something like this:)

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to crafty mom of 5

Hi Amy! So glad to see you here once again! This is so great to see some faces from the last time. I will put you down as a participant.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

I am so exicted to see you ladies here. I can't wait to see who else is ready to be in operation!

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Add me also Toccara. I'll see what I can come up with. When it gets closer to Christmas it would be fun if everyone made some christmas items for their rooms and ornaments for the tree. You could make it a special part of the swap around October. Just a thought. I love the giving part of this swap. So glad you thought of this.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to DKravec

Hi Debbie,

I did post somethings about Christmas bows and banners for the tree. But I will talk more closer to Christmas. Great Idea you can help with ideas during that time if you like:) thanks for joining!

texlady
Diva
texlady

OK, I will make something. Great idea!!!!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping
In response to texlady

I'm back too. Loved this last year. I'll make some packs of all-occasion cards.

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to DKravec

• DKravec Said:
Add me also Toccara. I'll see what I can come up with. When it gets closer to Christmas it would be fun if everyone made some christmas items for their rooms and ornaments for the tree. You could make it a special part of the swap around October. Just a thought. I love the giving part of this swap. So glad you thought of this.

Great idea!!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to provinca

I will make some cards, an altered cigar box and maybe some book marks.

DKravec
Angel
DKravec
In response to terrihooper

Keep the ideas coming ladies. I love new inspirations.

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to DKravec

I may try and make some more jewelry and maybe some altered photo frames or a paper bag album.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

I would LOVE to join you ladies.
what a wonderful idea!!!
do you want me to list what i will make/attempt to make?

also i have a question. would it be ok to have my 6 yr old help me? she LOVES to make corner bookmarks and i thought it would be a good thing for her to help me and see how it feels to do things for others without expecting anything in return.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to texlady

Thanks Texlady for joining:)Can't wait to see your ideas!

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping
In response to Briannasmom

Oh Mandi, what a sweet idea and fun activity to share with your daughter.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Hi Mandi, thanks for joining. Please let her help. I am sure she will be happy to know that she is helping someone in need. You don't have to post what you will make if you are not sure yet.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to i heart scrapping

Hi Bonnie so great to have you back:) Thanks for joining us again!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Post cards for all occasions will be awesome!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Thanks Terri for joining! Can't wait to see what you make!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

HI Ladies,

If you can and it is not a problem those of you that have not joined the blog can you please join the blog for updates through out the mission for this go around. Thanks!

www.handmade-blessings.blogspot.com

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

ok good I;m so happy to hear she can help make some things.
so far she will do corner bookmarks and regular bookmarks, i will make pins for shirts or whatever.

I will see if i can make up a few bags for walkers/wheelchair. gotta see if i can figure it out first

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

I have made half a dozen metal bookmarks with swarovski crystals and pearls. I think that I might also make some TP mini albums. I have already started saving my rolls. LOL!!!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

So awesome! WOW you are fast! Thanks so much for all your help:)

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Sounds good to me... you have time so don't rush! I can't wait to see what your daughter makes:)

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Ooooh frames. That's a wonderful idea. It'll give them something to put a family member in.

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to DKravec

• DKravec Said:
Ooooh frames. That's a wonderful idea. It'll give them something to put a family member in.

That's what I was thinking.

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

• crafty mom of 5 Said:
  • DKravec Said:

That's what I was thinking.

mee, too!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

such wonderful ideas ladies!!!!

Amy you inspired me to try TP albums i;m gonna start saving and i found a tut. on how to cover it how exciting. I just might make a few as well

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

• Briannasmom Said:
such wonderful ideas ladies!!!!

Amy you inspired me to try TP albums i;m gonna start saving and i found a tut. on how to cover it how exciting. I just might make a few as well

I have never made one before, so it ought to be interesting! I am just going to dive right in and go for it! LOL!!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

we will be on the adventure together lol

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

So cute! That will be great:)

Thanks ladies for joining the site! I have been working on some ribbon flower hair clips!

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

Found a few things to alter for the today: some little mirrors, little notebooks, and little tote bags. DD is gonna help me as part of her community service time!!

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Melody, those are such wonderful ideas.

Toccara, what do the ladies use a lot of that we could alter. Such as hand held mirrors, brushes, or other things they're allowed in their room. That should help give us some ideas to make things they use daily to make prettier.

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to DKravec

I work in a nursing home and the little ladies there love trinket boxes to put their treasures in. They also like photo frames for their photos of their family members. I have one little lady who is an avid reader...I made her a lovely bookmark (I am also an avid reader). Some like jewelry and hair barrettes. I saw this little bag for a walker that had a velcro loop to hold it onto the bar and it had pockets like an apron for the ladies to put stuff in...it would also work for males with the right fabric.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Everything Amy said. They do use hair brushes because they spend a lot of time outside so when they come in they love to brush their hair. All the things I put on the front page which would be pretty much what Amy listed here. It's a little harder for men because they are simple but what we did last hear was make them crochet hats. They really enjoyed those. But for women they love anything especially those that still love to wear jewelry and wear makeup, they love the shirt pins, hair clips, trinket boxes, frames and so on. They love items to decorate their side of the rooms also.

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Thanks Toccara. Lots of great ideas.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to DKravec

Your welcome no problem

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 07-30-12 03:53 PM

Hi Ladies...

Just droppin' by to check in!!

I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC week.

Happy Scrappin'

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Thanks for checking in. I am doing great:)

texlady
Diva
texlady

thinking about these

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to texlady

i bought some fabric the other day for some bags.

such wonderful ideas on here!!

keep up the wonderful work everyone.

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

Hmmmmmm, I'm debating on whether or not to attempt to sew...something that's not paper! We'll see how that goes! LOL!!

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

If you don't want to drag out the sewing machine, there's always fabric tac. Boy does that stuff work great.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to DKravec

i have never tried fabric tac before. does it hold really well??

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

• Briannasmom Said:
i have never tried fabric tac before. does it hold really well??

Me either. Is that the stuff that you iron in place?

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-01-12 03:28 PM

Hi Ladies...

Droppin' by to check in!

Getting my ideas together for this swap! I'm excited to do something so positive!

Have a wonderful rest of the day all!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

AH! I just bought alot of bibs (canvas for adults) from Jo-ann's and I was going to do some ironing ect w/stamping & give them as gag gifts since I found them on clearance .... I bet some of them would really enjoy them!

Count me in, and you dont want us to buy anything? If there would be a financial donation place we could go in together & buy case's of puzzle books, shampoos ects at dollar tree online.

I know all these items would be used or could be used as Bingo prizes -- can ya tell I had to spend some time in a home I fell in '10 and spent almost 6 months in one & I was so miserable. The only thing that made me smile was the ladys n gents face when I passed out handmade valentines day cards (I was in during this holiday & made 1 for everyone in the home) Also they go crazy over hygiene products at bingo!

Now, I know were were not allowed to keep anything glass in our rooms. Because of dementia patients plus there were some mentally undeveloped and could hurt themselves. Plus they loved Movie night (so old dvds?) they loved pop corn & coffees, teas? *Please keep in mind anyone ever buying for a nursing home - keep it sugar free, there are soooo many more diabetic's then not & there snacks are more expensive so the homes cant buy them.

I do make a gift box now to the home I stayed in at Christmas or shortly after when everything's on sale ... so I can get them more. But id love to share with your home as well IF needed!

Im not sure all I'll make. But at least charms, pretty stick pins for there hats or cloths .... yea, what could we do for men? I cant sew I already know that, and knitting would be out for me also!

I could do some manly color picture frames & some cards from a grandpa?? So 'yeap count me in ... not sure for Oct. but Dec for SURE! Promise

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to Sassie

Hi Laura! You made me think of something...I work in a nursing home and I know that our state doesn't allow aerosol sprays or any personal hygiene items with alcohol in them. They also can't keep sharp items in their posession. I know that if the nursing home has a rehab program, as most do, they may have some younger residents as well. Just a thought.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Correct, i forgot about the aerosol ect. But yes, sharp items to .. anything you'd not give your 5 year old ... I wouldnt give to an Elderly!

Yes, I was there for re-hab but had to follow there same rules. Because as most homes, there are the "wonder's" I had 1 gentleman that I kind of be-friend-ed you could say. He didnt talk but did sign for some things. Id just say nice things to him & help him during dinner if the nurse's was busy. I had some money coming in, so I bought him & a couple others some treats at times. Well 1 day I came out of the shower - my door was closed thankfully with a gown on because there was Moe .... watching my tv on animal planet not thinking a thing of me!! LOL Id let him & others watch it if the nurse's working didnt mind. Some did, because of the co-ed thing, some didnt. Some because they were a risk on there own kinda like Moe but most knew I was in the nursing field & could get him back home safe with out him being upset n such.

Sorry to be jabbering on this thread. I just really take these things to deep heart since I was touched by living there.

PS. I do remeber now, I had to take some lotian I bought for them back ... it had alchol for the sent? So I got them coco butter, which still smells great but safer!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Fabri tac works really well. I have made pillows and blankets with that stuff and it has been 10 years and it is still together with no tears or comining apart. It is a little pricy but worth it.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to Sassie

Thanks for joining us. I will put you down. Thanks for all your info about when you were in the nursing home. Now you can give back and help some others that are where you have been and show your support. Yes I did say not to buy anything because I do know that some people may be a little uneasy that did not participate last year. The only thing I have bought was puzzle books and yarn for one lady that does crochet. We don't give lotions and foods because of health reasons and will have to have someone let me know who can have what when it comes to foods, lotions, and sprays. They also love puzzles which I need to make sure I put on the list this year. Anyone know if games that we can handmake that 2 people can play maybe? Just some ideas of things that we can make.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Yes the one I support we are not allowed to bring anything like food and hygiene products because of sensitive skin and allergies. For food diabetes and other health conditions. We are strickly forbidden from doing that and taking pictures of those that can't give consent.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

We played apples to apples alot. I bet there would be a way to make that a handmade game? Or at least add questions ect?

provinca
Governor
provinca
In response to Sassie

JCI

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to provinca

jci!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

What about a tic tac toe game board. You could maybe use velcro or magnets. Maybe use a cookie baking sheet and paint it out and cover it with pretty papers to make the tic tac toe board and use bottle caps with magnets on the back to make the X's and O'x.

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Jci

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

So Im going to contribute by sending someone paper & such to make items since she is much more crafty then I

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to Sassie

• Sassie Said:
So Im going to contribute by sending someone paper & such to make items since she is much more crafty then I

To whom would you be referring, my friend? LOL!!

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

Girl Amy you have so many wonderful ideas. awesomeness i love it

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

• Briannasmom Said:
Girl Amy you have so many wonderful ideas. awesomeness i love it

Awwwwwwww, shucks! You're making me blush! Thanks!

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

Finished one of the mirrors!! On to the next one!!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

Amy I contacted Anna and asked if I sent the items if she would just create Because she does so well .... I'll send her making supplys then her talent & BAM

Why Miss Amy you wanna have me send you stuff to!!! I will to help ya out for this swap

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-04-12 04:24 PM
In response to Sassie

Droppin' by to check in with you ladies!

I hope everyone is having a FANTASTIC weekend.

Happy Scrappin'

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to Sassie

• Sassie Said:
Amy I contacted Anna and asked if I sent the items if she would just create Because she does so well .... I'll send her making supplys then her talent & BAM

Why Miss Amy you wanna have me send you stuff to!!! I will to help ya out for this swap

I figured you were still beaming from that package of goodies that you got! LOL!!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

LOL YEA!! It was so awesome, and I already adore Anna even though she did get me addicted to ATCs :P

But I also adore you Miss Amy & your art, and your parenting ways I think your simply a darling and Im glad your my friend!!

I guess I admire lots of people from this site. For there talent's & how they handle situation's ect! A great group of ppl around here basically!!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to Sassie

I have to agree with you Laura. I have met some wonderful ladies on here as well. I am lucky to have met so many wonderful ladies that I call friends!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper

i heart scrapping
Diva
i heart scrapping

stopping by to say "Hi"

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

morning ladies

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Afternoon all. Spent the weekend not feeling well. Just trying to kick this cold. Sounds like everyone has some great plans with this thread. Keep those ideas coming ladies.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to DKravec

Hi Deb! get to feeling better!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

Hello ladies! I hope that everyone is doing well this fine day!

FinallyMama
Queen
FinallyMama

Hello!!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Hello all is well. How about the rest of you ladies?

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

Toccara, how does some altered gift bags sound. You could use them to place the gifts into also or maybe the ladies just need some gift bags.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to DKravec

sounds like a great idea to me Deb--
I am going to do door hangers and frames. Maybe a cigar box, too.

DKravec
Angel
DKravec

I need to quit thinking about what to do and just do it.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to DKravec

• DKravec Said:
I need to quit thinking about what to do and just do it.

me, too!

texlady
Diva
texlady

mms

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty
In response to texlady

Hi ladies. Debbie that sounds good. Anything you ladies decide to make will be great because you all are so talented!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5

jci

I hope to get started on some photo frames and TP minis soon.

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady

I'd love to participate! I can send hair clips and altered picture frames. I will also try to make a banner for the Christmas tree!

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to katiemylady

I got a photo frame finished this morning! I am also working on a banner for the Christmas tree that says, "Noel."

Here's a pic of the frame:

Operation Handmade Blessings Photo Frame By Katiemylady

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 08-13-12 05:28 PM

Hi All...

Just droppin' by to check in!!

Katie...I LOVE YOUR FRAME Darlin':)

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom

katie cute frame!!!

started bits and pieces here and there. we are in getting ready for school mode right now YIKES!!!

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady

JCI! I got 2 Halloween cards and one Christmas card made. Should I leave them blank so they can use them themselves?

provinca
Governor
provinca

JCI - great frame Katie!

crafty mom of 5
Governor
crafty mom of 5
In response to provinca

Hi ladies! I have started working on some frames, but I have to go and buy more! LOL!

I have a huge collection of TP rolls...now I just need to get started on them! I've got to stop procrastinating!!

crafty lefty
Guru
crafty lefty

Hi Katie.....I will add you. Been school shopping the past three days. Thanks Katie for the frames. You can do whatever you like with the cards. You can leave room for us to put their names inside.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics