Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Virtual Christmas Card Idea Swap/Challenge        (Topic#1579321)
kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Is anyone interested in doing a virtual swap of Christmas card ideas? I am trying to make a variety of Christmas cards to send out this year but I am having a hard time with inspiration. I am looking for ideas to scrap-lift. Does anyone want to have a weekly or biweekly challenge to make a card and then post pictures to share the inspiration? I seem to do better with challenges that say like use only scraps, or use a certain technique or use this layout, etc.

Would that be interesting to anyone?

Thanks! I would like to start asap... if I can get anyone else that is interested to participate.

Thanks!

Kelli

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kj.etienne

I'd love to do a Christmas card challenge!! There are some out there in blog land too,,,,,52 christmas card throw down, christmas stampin' all year long,,,,,probably others. But that would be fun to do one here! Great way to get an early start on holiday cards!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to CommaHolly

those sound like fun too! I'm glad you are interested. My MIL also does cards with me usually once a week or so, and I'm sure she will upload some pictures of her cards as well. Lol, I just got her hooked on making cards so she is still new at it and I think she still makes better cards than me!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

should we have a theme once a week,,,,,,like,,,,,a color inspiration or a sketch to follow or something???

Expert

how many would we have to make? I am pretty slow and inexperienced at card making....even though my cards are pretty simple.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to deedee49

well, it's not my challenge, but generally, the way challenges work, you get a week to meet the challenge,,,,and you don't have to do every challenge,,,,,just the ones you want to or have time to do And if you are new and inexperienced, a challenge is an AWESOME way to learn new things! You'll love it!

Expert

I've always shied away from swaps and things like that. Afraid I wouldnt fulfull the swaps. But this sounds like fun. I'd like to try something with no pressure.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to deedee49

a swap, most of the time, does require a committment,,,,,,you send something and receive something,,,,,,,but she said "virtual swap of ideas", challenge,,,,,,,,,I think she means just posting our cards to give eachother ideas and things to scrap lift,,,,,,now if only she'd come back

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Sorry guys! Yes, this is more a challenge than a swap. Just a swap of ideas, so post pictures or links to pictures of your cards.

I was thinking (and this is really a group decision) that a once a week or every other week challenge would be good. Just depends on how much free time everyone has to devote to this. Also, I was planning on coming up with some sort of them for each one, such as: use a certain color, a certain design element (snowman, tree, etc.), a certain layout... you get the idea. Anyway, after posting the challenge (which we can post on Sundays or something) everyone who wants to participate in that challenge will have until the next Sunday (or two weeks from then if we chose that) to post their pictures of their cards.

This is just to help everyone get new ideas for making Christmas/holiday cards and to help you build up your stash to send out this Christmas!

As for how many we would be making... that is up to you. I plan on doing one every week or two until Christmas... so how every many that is.. if you want to participate in all of them. If not, no pressure! Just do the ones you want and come back often to get new ideas even if you didn't participate! I will also be posting my pictures on my blog.

Hopefully that answers a few questions.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

sounds great to me!!!!!! I'm in!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-04-12 01:20 PM

this sounds great. I am also new to card making and love what Angel said, "it is a great way to learn."
I'm in too.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to Cinj

I am in.... love challenges... I am hoping that we don't have to have a complete commitment with it as I am on a couple of design teams and that would come first... but i really need to get a move on my Christmas cards

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to leokc34

here is one i did today for Crafty calendar challenge blog

Christmas card By Leokc34

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to leokc34

omg, that is so cute!!!!!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Here's one I did this year just a few days ago,,,,,

Sassy Cheryl's and CSAYL challenges By CommaHolly

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

wow, I love both of those! Super cute! Commaholly, what did you use to cute out those ornaments? I am a sucker for ornaments! lol, and how did you post your pictures?

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34

LINKING LAYOUTS TO THE THREAD:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Go to the Share section on the left-hand side and click on ‘Share Anywhere'.
3. Click on 'IMG code' button.
4. Copy and paste the code which starts [url...] into the forum thread.

ALLOWING PUBLIC EMBEDDING:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Click on 'Edit Image' tab at the top on the left side of the layout.
3. Scroll down to the bottom left side.
4. Check the box that says, ‘Allow Public Embedding’.

here you go

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• kj.etienne Said:
wow, I love both of those! Super cute! Commaholly, what did you use to cute out those ornaments? I am a sucker for ornaments! lol, and how did you post your pictures?

I used these to cut them out! Spellbinders Heirloom Ornaments (2010),,,,,I love spellbinders,,, I want the 2011 too,,,,,but I'm not fond of the new 2012 ones

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Thanks leokc, I will give that a try!

So, should we start a challenge today? How about we start off with the challenges being 1 week long and if we are having trouble keeping up with it we can move it to 2 weeks.

So, try to upload your picture by next Sunday evening, the 12th. The challenge this week will be to make a Christmas card using some Christmas wrapping paper! You can use it instead of designer paper or however you want to use it! Be creative!

Can't wait to see what everyone does!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

omgosh, do I even have any? I don't think they sell any yet LOL! well, let's give it a try!

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34

ok... should work for me

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to leokc34

Sweet! Let's do this!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I made mine today,,,,,,,found a small piece of paper that wasn't ripped, wrinkled or torn LOL,,,it doesn't look anything like I imagined,,but I am liking it! I'll link it tomorrow,,,,DD borrowed my camera today.

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

I'd like to join, too. Not sure whether I'll find Christmas paper, but if not maybe I can join in future weeks.

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to Stamp4Joy

I started mine last night... haven't finished though.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

stiiiiiiilllllllll waiting for DD to return my camera,,tappin little fingers,,,,,

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-08-12 12:36 PM

I cant wait to do this one. I love Christmas and I have a ton of wrapping paper.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Cinj

For the "use wrapping paper" challenge By CommaHolly

Here's mine!!!!!! The sparkly green paper was the only sheet I had left from the holidays!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

THANKS for the card love, Kelli,,,,it's really thick, nice paper, which helps,,you know, the kind that's like 6.00 a roll of 10 square feet LOL,,,plus I used wax paper in between the paper and the die, which really helped!

tynmicsmom
Expert
tynmicsmom

KJ stampin up also has in their new mini catalog ornament stamp and embossing set that is so cute too

I think I am going to join this too I know I won't be able to join every challenge but I love the no pressure.

Bonnie

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to tynmicsmom

that's a good idea to use the wax paper as a layer... will have to try that.

I love the new stamps and matching dies or matching embossing folders... want some of those for Christmas!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Cards are "due" tonight! No pressure, but if you were participating in this challenge please try to have your picture uploaded by tonight. I am uploading mine now.

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

I hope this works... sorry, I couldn't rotate the pictures! I will try to fix that next time.

***edit*** I used picmonkey.com to edit my pictures and made a collage out of them!

Christmas Card Challenge: Use wrapping paper By Kj.etienne

Edited by kj.etienne on 09-06-12 10:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

So, the new challenge for this week, which will be due next Sunday (19th) will be to use a Christmas tree of some kind in your card. Could be a die cut, a stamp, a drawing, on designer paper, embossing folder, etc. You get the idea, just have a tree somewhere on your card!

Happy, creative crafting ladies!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I love blue Christmas cards!!!! beautiful job! I can't wait to work on this week's!

shetang
Tenant
shetang

Here is my submission for this week. I still a bling for the top of the tree.

Sorry I don't know how to rotate the image.

Edited by shetang on 08-16-12 11:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy
In response to shetang

Very pretty!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Stamp4Joy

that's stunningly gorgeous!!!!! If you put it in your gallery here, we'll all be able to leave you comments on it!

and just as a hint picmonkey dot com is able to help you edit pictures, things like rotating them, fixing the colors, etc,,,,,it's free and easy to do! you can even put text on your pictures so you have a watermark on them

hope that helps!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

That is a beautiful card! How did you make the branches? They look 3D! I would love to try making a card like that.

Commaholly, thanks for the tip! I am checking that site out now so I can get my pictures uploaded too!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Okay, here is my card for this week! I had so much fun making this one that I made several of them!

Christmas Tree Card Challenge By Kj.etienne

Christmas tree challenge By Kj.etienne

for the "use a Christmas tree' challenge By Kj.etienne

shetang
Tenant
shetang

• kj.etienne Said:
That is a beautiful card! How did you make the branches? They look 3D! I would love to try making a card like that.

Commaholly, thanks for the tip! I am checking that site out now so I can get my pictures uploaded too!

I used the Martha Stewart medium branch punch, then used the agt adhesive all over a tree (triangle) cut from green card stock. Working from the bottom up and and sides in I began layering the branches over each other.

There is a youtube video showing the technique. I don't recall the lady's name but when I saw the demo I had to buy the punch right away. She also used the branches to make a wreath. It really is a 3D technique.

shetang
Tenant
shetang

Your cards are really pretty. I love the shimmery look and the subtle tree. Beautiful!!

shetang
Tenant
shetang
In response to shetang

• shetang Said:
  • kj.etienne Said:

I used the Martha Stewart medium branch punch, then used the agt adhesive all over a tree (triangle) cut from green card stock. Working from the bottom up and and sides in I began layering the branches over each other.

There is a youtube video showing the technique. I don't recall the lady's name but when I saw the demo I had to buy the punch right away. She also used the branches to make a wreath. It really is a 3D technique.

If you search youtube videos for "Christmas Tree Tutorial Part 1" you'll find the video to make this. I wasn't sure if I could post the video link

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to shetang

Sweet thanks! I'm watching the video now!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

WELL, I didn't get the card made this week I was camping with my grandchildren at Disney's camp ground,,,,

what's next week's challenge???

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Oh! I didn't even realize that we had started a new week already! Sorry! My oldest is starting preschool this week... it's been a big week!

This week let's do a Christmas card using some sort of die cut AND some sort of stamp.... so, you need to use a die cut AND a stamp on your card. That should be simple enough for this week, yes?

Does anyone else want to come up with a challenge for next Sunday?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'd be happy to come up with a challenge for next week

and i am loving this week's challenge!!!!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Awesome! Thanks CommaHolly!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Here's my entry for this week,,,,use a die cut AND a stamp! I used spellbinders Labels 14 for my die cut to cut out my inkadinkado christmas tree stamp!

it looks like pepto bismol threw up on my card lol,,,,,,,just a weeeeeeee bit TOO pink!

A little TOO pink!!!! By CommaHolly

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34

thanks for the reminder link.. i haven't made a card for christmas this week... fingers crossed i will have it in soon

Expert

oh holly...I love the pink!!! So different!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-24-12 03:12 PM
In response to deedee49

Thanks for the reminder link. Time has gotten away from me. I have been helping a family where dad in in the reserves and mom work nights so that has me working 7:30am to 11:30pm every day. I'm exhausted.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to Cinj

lvoe the pink!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-24-12 09:25 PM

Holly pink is my favorite color. I never would have thought to do a pink card but if it is okay with you I would love to scrap lift this idea?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Cinj

you're more than welcome to scrap lift it!!! Lift away!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'm going to post tomorrow's challenge today because we may have no power tomorrow, and I will be busy evacuating away from Isaac tomorrow!

so next week's challenge isssssssssssss

PHOTO INSPIRATION!!!!! I want you to be inspired by the COLORS,,,,,

and,,,,,,,

one element in the photo (your choice),,,,,maybe the mirror,,,,or the tree,,,,,or the fireplace,,,,,whatever you want!

Inspiration Photofor t By CommaHolly

Have fun!!!!!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-25-12 08:02 PM

I feel really bad. I was all excited to do these challenges but then work, family and silly old life got in the way of my scrapbooking/cardmaking time so I did all 3 challenges so far today and I will post them now.

Please let me know how you would improve them because they are not the best by far. I had a lot of drama with them and will have to redo some so I can send them.

Here is week one... Virtual Christmas Card Idea Swap/Challenge (gift wrap) By Cinj

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-25-12 08:03 PM
In response to Cinj

Week two... Virtual Christmas Card Idea Swap/Challenge (Tree) By Cinj

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 08-25-12 08:04 PM
In response to Cinj

Week three... Virtual Christmas Card Idea Swap/Challenge (die cut and stamp) By Cinj

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to Cinj

Oy, I almost forgot to post my card today! Sorry it's late guys! I've had it done for almost 3 days now and our internet has been off more than on because they are replacing lines in our neighborhood. Here it is though!

p.s. I LOVE picmonkey.com! Thanks so much for sharing the site!

Virtual Christmas Card Challenge - Use a stamp and a die cut By Kj.etienne

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

pic monkey is my salvation!!!!!!! Gorgeous cards, ladies,,,,,,off to your galleries!!!! Hurricane missed us thank goodness, but if anyone out there is in La, stay safe!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

sooooo... I'm kinda stuck with this weeks challenge.... so I'm going to cheat and ask my hubby for help!

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

Okay, so I haven't been participating like I had intended. Things just got away from me.

Here is a card using a die cut and rubber stamp. You can find the details on my BLOG.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Stamp4Joy

Stunning card, Stamp4Joy!!!!!!! Love those colors!!!!

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Kelli, that's not cheating, silly girl!!!! I need to hop to it on my card!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Stamp4Joy, if you put your card in your gallery here, we can all leave you nice comments

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

I did put it in my gallery the same time I uploaded it here.

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 09-01-12 06:49 PM
In response to Stamp4Joy

Week four photo inspired.
Virtual Christmas Card Idea Swap/Challenge (week 4 inspired by photo By Cinj

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

Here is my submission for the week 4 photo inspired card. I used the colors as my inspiration. The details will be on my blog on Wednesday.

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to Stamp4Joy

wow, those are so pretty! I'm sorry I won't be able to finish mine until Tuesday... so it will be late this week. Me and my family did the Dirty Dash (3.5 mile mud run) this weekend and we have a family get together tomorrow (which I have to make 3 dishes for), so I have been running around like crazy trying to prep for both of those things. We made our own tie-died t-shirts (9 of them) for the race yesterday. I ended up having to cut down and re-sew my son's shirt because all we could find was a small youth shirt and he is 3 years old! Anyway, I had to hand sew it because I couldn't find the power cord to my machine! It's been a crazy busy week... but an awesome one too! We finished in 52 minutes! The dirty dash has something like 16 obstacles over the 3.5 miles and several of those are mud pits and climbing walls... my hubby said it reminded him of basic training... on a smaller scale. Woohoo!

Sorry this was so long, just so much going through my head right now that I want to share! Thanks for "listening" you guys!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

don't feel bad,,,,,mine isn't done either I've got a rush mini album going for a friend who is becoming an American Citizen thursday,,,,so I've been nuts! I'm doing it tomorrow though!

that is a GORGEOUS card!!!!!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

I forgot to post a new challenge for this week too.... sorry about that! I think we all can use a break for Labor Day! How about this week we only use scraps! So, no full sized sheets of paper. You can only use your scrap pieces of paper from your stash! If for some reason you don't have any big enough scraps to make your card base you can use a bigger piece for that... but use scraps for any other decorating that you do!

Okay? Go! Create!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

sounds great!!!! I am still making the one from last week

Diva

How you do a virtual swap. Interesting to me is this concept.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bayamonesa1

it's a challenge more than a swap,,,,,,,the only thing we're swapping is "ideas",,,maybe you'll see something you can use

every week there's a theme,,,,make a christmas card following the theme and post it that's it

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl

This sounds like fun! And perfect timing..just started my Christmas cards

Heres 2 that I made so far. For the scraps...the white paper on the snowflake card is leftover from last year. The green paper border on the snowman card are scraps too

Snowman Card 2012 By DittoBabyGirl

Snowflake Card 2012 By DittoBabyGirl

I used my Cricut Imagine for the snowflakes and snowmen

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I'm ACU I couldn't access your cards Rebecca..you have to click the "allow public embedding" in order for us to be able to click into your gallery. Your cards are really pretty though!

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

Okay, I have no idea what ACU means, but I will check into the public embedding.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Stamp4Joy

ACU = all caught up

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

Sorry, but I'm not interested in having my work shown on other websites, forums, etc. They can be seen either here or my blog.

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne
In response to Stamp4Joy

Here is my card for last week.... finally! I LOVE how it turned out and I was so worried about it and had no idea what to do, and it's one of my favorites so far! I didn't even get any help from my hubby... he (for once) was no help at all!

Christmas Card Challenge - Photo Inspiration By Kj.etienne

Stamp4Joy
Tenant
Stamp4Joy

Cute & Cozy!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Stamp4Joy

I love it!!!!! Left you some love!!!

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

I finished the card for this week's challenge and I actually made 2 of them! I used a new embossing folder that I found on sale!

Let me know what you think!

Christmas Card Challenge - Use Scraps (1 of 2) By Kj.etienne

Christmas Card Challenge - Use Scraps (2 of 2) By Kj.etienne

P.S. Does someone want to come up with the challenge for this Sunday? Please feel free to post challenges if you would like to! I will only post one on Sunday evening if no body else has posted one (or volunteered to post one). I don't want to hog it all! (And I'm quickly running out of ideas!)

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Good morning ladies!
Thanks for the invite Kelli! I would love to join you guys and get caught up on my total for Christmas cards for this year!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Ms_Pebbles

OOO OOO OOOO, I have another idea!!!! That is if you don't mind my posting yet another challenge (and I'm still working on this weeks AND last week's )

I'll post it here,,,,if someone has another idea, we can go with theirs,,,,,,

Make a bookmark,,,,,,either on your christmas card that the recipient can use,,,,or a christmas book mark alone that can be used as a stocking stuffer or gift tag on a package

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

YAY! I'm glad you could join us Pebbles! Ladies, Pebbles and I were in a card swap together this past year where we sent out birthday cards each month to whoever's birthday it was that month. It was a lot of fun!

CommaHolly, please feel free to do a challenge! I love the idea of a bookmark card! I actually made one of those a couple years ago as a thank you card for a friend who LOVES to read! So the card had a removable bookmark on it with her name embossed on it.

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

I like the bookmark card too!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

welcome to the group Ms Pebbles!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 09-09-12 06:28 AM

Here is my card with scraps...
Virtual Christmas card challenge (use scraps to make a card) By Cinj

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles
In response to Cinj

Thanks ladies!
So what design/style are we doing this week?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

make a book mark,,,,,,,either on/with a card or as a stocking stuffer or tag

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Cool beans!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

gorgeous card, Cinj,,,,,left you some love! I've got two done and will post them today! (waiting for some sunlight!)

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Photo inspiration,,,,,,,,

Blue white and silver photo inspiration By CommaHolly

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Use Scraps,,,,,,,,

Merry and Bright By CommaHolly
Merry and Bright close up By CommaHolly

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

Hi Kelli! thanks for the love,,,,,,,,to answer your question about the stick pins, I just buy pearl tip pins in the sewing section at wm then slide some pearls or crystals on the pin,,,,,a TINY dot of hot glue and slide the last bead up over the dot and VOILA, stick pin,,,,,,,easy peasy!

If I want really LONG pins, then I buy corsage pins at M's,,,,,,but I rarely use those.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

and the red glitter swirls were already on the paper

kj.etienne
Resident
kj.etienne

Thanks! I really want to try some of those stick pins sometime! Lol, maybe when I don't have so much on my plate.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

they are so easy it's ridiculous,,,,you can make fancier ones, though,,,,,but I generally don't. I love 3 pearls,,,small (top of pearl tipped pin), medium, large,,,,,it just looks so elegant!

Ms_Pebbles
Diva
Ms_Pebbles

Loving your inspiration! Everything is sooooo gorgeous!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics