Username Post: Scrapbook Ideas?        (Topic#1579935)
afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:11 PM

I'm at the point in my life, where I feel like I don't have much to scrapbook anymore! I'm 20, I'm single, I don't have any kids, I don't do much with my friends! I'm just wondering if any of you awesomely creative people have any ideas??

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to afh92

cards!!!!!!!!!

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:22 PM
In response to CommaHolly

I did one today, but it just doesn't look good and I feel like I can never make them look good! lol. Have any tips?

PS: Your cards are absolutely beautiful! Oh my goodness!

Edited by afh92 on 08-22-12 05:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-22-12 05:26 PM
In response to afh92

Scrap things you dream about doing.
Do a Smash album..

How about scrapping your family? Got any old family photos?
Make an album for someone.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afh92

Grab your camera and go for a walk, a hike, a trip the to museum (that allows photography), etc. Some women at a local scrapbook store (the store is long since gone) organized a monthly photography group. Their sole purpose was find new things to photograph and scrap.

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:29 PM
In response to GMFTS

What exactly is a smash book?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:
I did one today, but it just doesn't look good and I feel like I can never make them look good! lol. Have any tips?

Ashley, Holly's cards are wickedly beautiful, stunning, gorgeous....you name it! She's a tough act to follow.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-12 05:30 PM
In response to afh92

Travels, adventures, personal stuff, things that inspire you, concerts, nature, "book of me" pages.

Here's one I did for a recent NSBD challenge here, I'm quite fond of it
Fashion Challenge: I Heart Shoes By Stick

And here's one that just inspires me and makes me happy:
Calm, Montana 2008 - version 2 By Stick

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:

Honey, the first card I ever made was so ugly I wouldn't even take a picture of it,,,i pity the poor recipient now I don't do anything except cards,,,,and a few altered items and mini books,,,

you could alter things or do minis I do those when I'm sick of cards,,,,

and thank you i love to make them

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:31 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

This just totally reminded me of a scrapbook that I started a long time ago of my "photography" (I use that term lightly... anyone who has a camera thinks they are a photographer, including me! LOL) I guess I could add onto that!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afh92

Smash books are anything you want them to be. You can scrap photos, memorabilia, do journaling, you name it. I have one that I created out of a steno notepad. I use it to collect clippings from my scrap magazines to use for future inspiration.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

card tip; it's only a small lo without a pic,,,,,substitute a pic for a focal image (stamp, bow, flowers, whatever) and finish as normal.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

Do you travel? Do you go to school? Do you have friends? Do you have hobbies? Scrap anything. Go for a walk, what do you see? Do you have a pet? What do you think about when you 1st wake up in the morning? What are your last thoughts when you go to bed? What are your hopes and dreams? They may all sound like dopey things to scrap when you're 20, but believe me, when you get to be 65 you'll wish you had scrapped those memories, no matter how ordinary and insignificant they seem to you now. ~Judy

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

What Stick said. (Gosh I love that shoe layout!)

Places you'd like to go, hobbies, pets...

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:33 PM
In response to stick

Super cute!! LOVE the embossing on your heart! I now need a Sizzix!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to afh92

yes,,,you need a sizzix

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-12 05:34 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

I recently got a wicked cool macro lens for my iphone, on my next trip to our Conservatory of Flowers (we're members and go a lot) I plan to take only macro photos and make an LO or three of those. Personal assignments like this can be really fun to scrap.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• mrsdriver5 Said:
Do you travel? Do you go to school? Do you have friends? Do you have hobbies? Scrap anything. Go for a walk, what do you see? Do you have a pet? What do you think about when you 1st wake up in the morning? What are your last thoughts when you go to bed? What are your hopes and dreams? They may all sound like dopey things to scrap when you're 20, but believe me, when you get to be 65 you'll wish you had scrapped those memories, no matter how ordinary and insignificant they seem to you now. ~Judy

where's the like button darnitall?????

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-12 05:35 PM
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:

Thank you! I really wish people would scraplift it, I want to see more shoe LO's, lol. This winter I'll have to do one of my boots

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 05:36 PM
In response to afh92

Holly, that's true! I guess I didn't look at it that way! But I am going to give it a try! Thank you!

Jen, those are great! I'm going to have to go look at one of those!

Judy, I suppose that's true! There are things now that I wish I would have kept memories of from when I was 'younger' haha. Thank you! Your post gave me so many ideas!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

Stick—I'm going to show your shoe lo to my daughter when she comes over to scrap with me tomorrow night. She's been wanting to do some shoe LOs for her 2 daughters. I want to do a hat/head covering mini album. It seems like our family is always putting something on their heads for photos...not necessarily hats, but just silly things.~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-22-12 05:40 PM

Judy, do it!! How old are the girls? Gosh, it would be adorable to do with baby shoes, too, baby shoes are the CUTEST SHOES IN THE WORLD!!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afh92

You could do a BOM (Book of Me) album. Scrap all things "Ashley."

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:
This just totally reminded me of a scrapbook that I started a long time ago of my "photography" (I use that term lightly... anyone who has a camera thinks they are a photographer, including me! LOL) I guess I could add onto that!

The more pictures you take, the better you'll get, too. You'll begin looking for things to take pictures of and different ways to do it. One of my favorites...and it's much easier when you're 20...is to lay on the ground and shoot up. It's great for trees, but don't do it where skirts are around. We don't want you to be scrapping in jail ~Judy

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

they don't let you have SCISSORS in jail

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Judy, do it!! How old are the girls? Gosh, it would be adorable to do with baby shoes, too, baby shoes are the CUTEST SHOES IN THE WORLD!!!

My close-by granddaughters are 16 and 20—the perfect age for shoe LOs. I love little kids' cowboy boots. I still wander through the baby dept. to look at shoes. So, so cute! My daughter was going to do shoes and I was going to do hats...now I want to do shoes, too!~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

Take pictures of your clothes, shoes & purses then scrap them. Forty years from now your grandkids will have a riot looking at your album!

Take pictures of your house & yard. My mom and I try to remember how some of our furniture was placed, or what color a room was. Back then, with film cameras, we didn't take the pictures that we can today and most of the pictures are black and white. You know what everything looks like now, but after a few moves and houses, they kind of start blurring together.

Thinking of black and white...I have a picture from when I was in high school, standing in front of a gorgeous in-bloom lilac bush. Mom and I made sure I was standing just right to get a good shot of the bush and me...and it's in black & white. Kind of lost the beauty of the lilac I remember it, but that doesn't help much in a photo!~Judy

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 06:25 PM

Thank you guys! You are all so fabulous and creative!! I have so many ideas now! I thought it would be weird to make a scrapbook of "me" but now I realize that it's a good memory to have! Thanks again, everyone!! Everyone is always so nice and helpful!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

Be sure to put them in the gallery!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to afh92

oh my gosh, NO, I wish I had a scrapbook of my mother,,,,,,,,,,and my grandmother!

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-22-12 06:34 PM

If you had a scrapbook of your mom or grandmother, what would you like to be included in there? My grandmother has Alzheimer's, so it's hard to get much information out of her... but that's a brilliant idea to sort of look back on once my mother is older or passed away!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to afh92

memories of her child hood,,,,,pictures of her,,,,samples of her handwriting,,,,stories told about her or by her,,,,,pictures of anything she still has from her childhood,,,,,

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to afh92

Someone here did a "right now" page on a blog post. As in...

Right now I'm eating...
Right now I'm listening to...
Right now I'm wishing...
Right now I'm waiting for...

I thought that was so cool.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to LesleyC

I love all these great ideas!

You could also do how you feel now about whatever (your home, your clothes, your hair, your friends, your job etc etc), then maybe do the same page again in 6 months or a year.

Sorta like a time capsule on paper.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to Kim222

Right now I'm working on a 12 by 12 on 12 challenge. The point is to take 12 pictures on the 12th of every month, then use the 12 photos on a double page layout. It doesn't have to be a theme, just whatever happens on that day. But, I HAVE to have a theme for my scrapping, so I am doing my crocheting, specifically the crocheting I do for a ministry where we make afghans, shawls, hats, etc. requests for people in need of prayer/help/guidance. I have taken photos of my works in progress, finished work that I have on the 12th, my projects all piled up, my crochet hooks, yarn donations and so on. My biggest problem is coordinating my photos with my PP, because all my photos are different colors, gah, that part is driving me nuts!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsD2008

When I was 19 I made a scrapbook (they were primitive in those days) of my favorite bands, movies, tv shows, actresses and actresses. A real pop culture treasure.

Unfortunately it has been lost for 40 years at least!

I sure wish I had that book with all the things I liked in those days and pages on all those old movie stars and bands.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to afh92

I just saw this LO today and I thought it was such a cool idea. Talking about taking something you love and creating a work of art!....

Escape **SCRAPS OF DARKNESS** August Kit Jamaican Sunset By Reneabouquets

And the work she did with the photos! Just amazing and it's a great book of me page.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:
If you had a scrapbook of your mom or grandmother, what would you like to be included in there? My grandmother has Alzheimer's, so it's hard to get much information out of her... but that's a brilliant idea to sort of look back on once my mother is older or passed away!

Many Alzheimer patients have better memories of their childhood than they do of later events. Maybe if some of your family is around her, talking about playing with dolls, hopscotch, pets, friends, birthday parties...kid type of stuff, she might surprise you with what she says, depending on what stage she's in. I'm sorry that your grandmother can't really be an active part of your life right now...both for her benefit and yours. Twenty...wow, I was 20 once :>)

I keep wanting to get stories down from my mom. She'll soon be 87, so I need to do it and quit thinking about it. She's told me many stories, but I want to get her talking with a recorder going...I'll tell her about it, but put it out of the way so she doesn't worry about how she sounds on it. (I have a little recorder, smaller than a cell phone and it works great.)

Things I want to know about my mom: Favorite clothes/games/toys/books/ music. What were her chores? What did she do to get "busted" and what punishments did she receive :>) Boyfriends, jobs, what classes did she enjoy/hate. Favorite flowers/perfumes/movies/c olors/gems--diamonds, opals, etc. Did she have a teddy bear or other favorite stuffed animal? Did she have a bedtime/curfew? What bones did she break (my mom was a tomboy), stitches, etc. What sicknesses. What was her wedding like? How did she prepare for ME? Oldest/favorite/worst memory. Inventions in her lifetime. What were the "good old days" really like? How much did gas cost? What was her first car? Did she go to prom and if so, what did she wear? What big news stories does she remember?

I have so many things I wish I could ask my grandmas, but they're both dead. I want to make sure to know the answers to those questions from my mom.

There are threads about ME books and they have great ideas. They'd work for books about you or anyone else you want to make a remembrance book about. (see the Tips, Tricks & Techniques forum. At the top is Book of Me - Ideas and Inspiration!)~Judy

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy

you could also scrap about your favorite music and how it makes you feel. There's always one song that makes you smile no matter how crummy you feel. Here's a link to a blog about scrapping music and there's a lady on here named Sharon (Fritchey) that participates in that challenge and I love looking at her work and getting ideas for my own pages.

http://scrappingthemusic.blogspot.com/

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Monique_McCoy

Yep, when I was college-age I did a whole album about songs by my favorite band. Very few pictures - just some pictures of album covers and of my collection.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • kelseymel Said:

Thank you! I really wish people would scraplift it, I want to see more shoe LO's, lol. This winter I'll have to do one of my boots

I really like the shoe layout as well but had never thought of doing my son's shoes...until now!
I just might scraplift your layout, Stick....and do one with my son's shoes throughout the years (he's now 6 yrs. old). Now, I just have to sort through all my pics and see what closeups of his feet that I can use...LOL!

Alison

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
I just saw this LO today and I thought it was such a cool idea. Talking about taking something you love and creating a work of art!....

Escape **SCRAPS OF DARKNESS** August Kit Jamaican Sunset By Reneabouquets

And the work she did with the photos! Just amazing and it's a great book of me page.

LOVE!!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-23-12 06:20 AM
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:
What exactly is a smash book?

Take a look at these products.

They are a ton of fun...
Products Referenced in This Post:

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 08-23-12 06:28 AM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
I recently got a wicked cool macro lens for my iphone, on my next trip to our Conservatory of Flowers (we're members and go a lot) I plan to take only macro photos and make an LO or three of those. Personal assignments like this can be really fun to scrap.

seriously a macro lens? Now I really want an iphone.
I cannot afford this addiction.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to aquabunny

Also, do you like cooking, or are there any favorite or family recipes you'd like to preserve? Recipe albums are a ton of fun, especially if, unlike me, your pictures of food actually turn out well. I include the recipe, a picture of the finished dish, the story behind it or who it came from, and sometimes a picture of it while cooking or being assembled (especially if putting it together would be helped by visual aids). I have everything from a cake/cookie recipe passed down through four generations, to recipes invented or adapted in my own kitchen, to just recipes found in cookbooks or the internet that I've really enjoyed.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

I would definitely do a book about grandma/mom when they was young. In fact, my mom went to visit her cousins and I asked her to scan any photos or old albums she could find - I want a scrapbook. photos from that era are scarce and have more power than the everyday ones we are doing, I think. ask your mom about your grandma or what else she remembers of the family tree - those are memories too.
Another idea is to scrap about your friends today, their likes and dreams - make a page for each of your close friends, journaling about what they like and what their plans for the next decade are. what you do together, stuff like that.

afh92
afh92 
Tenant
afh92
  • afh92 on 08-23-12 12:25 PM
In response to OlesyaK.

Do you guys ever have the problem of journaling and then reading it and being like "This sounds so dumb!" so then trashing it?? haha. I feel like I do that TOO much so I never get a good journaling section on a page!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to afh92

I obviously like to write, so I guess I have no problem journaling. My problem is to not write too much to fit on the page I just try to write what I would tell someone if they picked up the album to look through it, but I wasn't there to explain the pictures and the background for the photos—because someday...I won't be here~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-23-12 03:21 PM
In response to GMFTS

• GMFTS Said:
  • stick Said:

It'll fit ANY phone with a camera! It's so cool - it's a macro lens embedded in a rubber band. Go to the Photojojo store and look for the Macro Cell Lens Band.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 08-23-12 03:24 PM
In response to stick

Ashley, I definitely spend a lot of time on the journalling I do - rewording it, making sure the spelling and grammar are correct, making sure it includes all the information I want. At some point you just have to accept it, use it, and move on. Good thing is, you can always do another page if you want more or different journalling

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to afh92

There are so many things that you can scrapbook. Take pictures of all the things that you enjoy doing and scrap that. Card making is a lot of fun and the more you do it the better you will get. You can also do challenges so that you can work on the creative aspect. All of these woman have so many wonderful ideas. I bet that you have tons of stuff to scrap now!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • GMFTS Said:
  • stick Said:

It'll fit ANY phone with a camera! It's so cool - it's a macro lens embedded in a rubber band. Go to the Photojojo store and look for the Macro Cell Lens Band.

That is so cool!!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to afh92

• afh92 Said:
Do you guys ever have the problem of journaling and then reading it and being like "This sounds so dumb!" so then trashing it?? haha. I feel like I do that TOO much so I never get a good journaling section on a page!

I write all my journalling on the computer first, read it, re-read it, change it..... and then finally copy it down for my LO or print it.

aprilstory
New Kid On the Block
aprilstory
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I have to be in the mood to journal and that doesn't always happen when I'm scrapbooking. My Mother-in-law brought her albums over this past week because I'm in charge of journaling. This first few pages were not very good. Once I got going it was better.

And I agree with the card suggestion - the first ones you make will not be your favorites, but just keep trying - you'll get it.

If you want some great pictures - go to the zoo. And the paper out there with zoo prints is awesome!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to afh92

I'm 62 single and no children Get a pet.

dig out old family photos.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to cescrapper

CommaHolly

You just gave me an idea for my Project Life

Tomorrow morning i'm going to take a photo of the first thing i see when i wake up.

JenKoss
Veteran
JenKoss
In response to cescrapper

Book of Me layouts, pet album, bucket list album, favourite quotes album, favourite songs album, hobby album, tribute alubm, there are tons of things you can do! I'm in the same place as you (just older LOL!) and I have no shortage of things I want to scrap. I've also recently started to alter things too, which is quite fun.

Jen

Sandy Ang
Veteran
Sandy Ang
In response to JenKoss

i don't have any kids either so i scrap about everyday things - LOs on library books i'm reading, architecture, a cafe i go to etc

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics