Page 4 of 6 
Username Post: September New Layouts        (Topic#1580263)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-15-12 11:50 AM
In response to dollscrap

Shatema's pins reminded me that I had been wanting to make some stick pins out of the leftover pins that were used in my wedding bouquet. Since I can't seem to get focused on making a LO, I went ahead and put these together real quick using some beads I had laying around. Red and black are my fav colors anyway so I always have lots of red and black stuff laying around.

Wedding Stick Pins
By Jarvae

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to dollscrap

Ugh, car repair bills, I feel your pain!

Humid here today as we have had rain for two days. I need to get to the garden and plant my green beans but its not a good idea when its wet. I need to move the firewood to a new location as well but NOT in this humidity. It will have to wait.

Years ago I grew all our veggies that we needed for a year and canned them. I am seriously thinking of doing it again so I've been comparing all sorts of new canning recipes and printing them out and making a recipe book. Just a simple 8 1/2 X 11 three-ring binder with page protectors. Not going pretty with this just utilitarian.Anyone else do any cannning? I had a recipe for Pear Honey - its like a jam or preserve, anywho, it was so yummy. Need to find that recipe.

Food prices have risen so much, about 35% since 2008. I think canning might be cheaper and the food is wholesome since I grow it and can it I can control the amount of sugar and salt and pesticides used.

Jeannie, I like those catseyes especially the chalk inks.

Jarvae, cutesy does not suit a lot of LOs but so many people are scrappin' their youngsters it is a big part of the industry. I didn't find lots to love at my LSS until about a year before they closed. Now they are gone and I no longer have that option. I did shop there for special pps and CS in specific colors all the time, but that last eyar before they retired they has some really GREAT items. Wish they had sold it to someone who was local.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to rockmom

Jarvae-we used to have 2 LSS. I was like you, I tried to buy (at the one closest to me) and just didn't like what she got in. The other store was on the other side of town and I didn't get up there very much. I do go to any lss when on vacation or in another city.

We were so hot here in Ill. too. The last two days have been gorgeous.

Catch everyone tomorrow.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-15-12 05:30 PM
In response to scrappin 2

I have found some AMAZING shops while traveling for work... in some of the most unlikely places too! I need to look it up but there's one store- I think in NC? that is the best LSS I have ever been to. In. My. Life. I mean, they had EVERYTHING. They had papers that I'd been actively looking for on eBay because they were discontinued. I like a lot of the vintage, steampunk, Tim Holtz-y stuff and they had it all. They had more travel papers and embellies than I've ever seen in one store. I went ahead and got their punch card just in case I ever get to go back.

Any time I go on a trip, I always look for scrapbook stores. I also check the usual suspects - HL, Ms, & Js to see if they have anything "different". They very rarely do though.

The challenge is getting the stuff back home in good condition since I only bring a very small carry-on size case on the plane. There have been many times when I just ask for extra cardboard and bring the shopping bag with me on the plane.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to Vae

Popping in after a BORING day at work. I was floated to the Transitional Care Unit. It is WAY more slower paced than the floor I am used to. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to cdjohnson

Good morning!!

I envy you Denise..how awesome to be able to can your own food. The key part that I envy is that what you grow actually stays alive! My basil is still going strong-everything else died. Oh well..I'll try again next year

I'm doing a photo shoot today for a project my son has. The subject is "injustice". The teacher left it wide open and said just do it on somethng that you feel describes injustice. He decided to do it on the homeless. My friend Sarah and her husband have volunteered to be our homeless people. I would have gone down to Clearwater where there is a large population of homeless but I didn't feel that was safe. I'm really looking forward to it...I miss photography soooo much-when I lived in NY I never went anywhere without my camera. Just don't have the time that I used to back then

I hope ya'll have a wonderful Sunday!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 09:14 AM
In response to DittoBabyGirl

Same here... somehow I can keep the basil alive but not much else. OF course I'm in an apartment so it's not like we have actual land. But my basil is doing awesome. I don't really know what to do with it all... we use it when we can in cooking but we have so much more than we can use. Any suggestions?

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Vae

Use it on a layout..you know...multi media.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 11:03 AM
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:

Now I want to see that!

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2

Good afternoon.

Thought I'd peek in.

Everyone will be her for dinner,- son, wife & 2 kids, daughter and husband and 2 kids, mil, sil.
I made spaghetti sauce. I love when they come over.

Jarvae if I ever get to NY, I'll have to look up that scrap store.

We are dogsitting this weekend for our son's family dog. They will be here at 3:00 to get the dog and stay for supper. I use the twin bed in the scrap room, like a shelf. There are papers and stuff all over it. I came home from church and there were papers on the floor. At first I thought my pile was too high and fell on its own. But no, Ozzie must have jumped up there as I could see the indentations on the bedspread. Only one paper got slightly bent. I was so surprised he'd jump up there with all that stuff on the bed.

Ozzie is an Old English Sheepdog. We've had 3 in our 43 yrs. of marriage. When our last one died -2 yrs ago -we decided not more dogs. We will miss Ozzie when he goes home.

Have a great day. Catch you tomorrow.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

http://tipnut.com/preserve-herbs/

Here's a list of tips for preserving basil. If you don't want to preserve it then donate it to friends, neighbors, or food banks. Know a professional chef? they'd love some fresh basil.

....but then Jeannie had a great idea, use it in a layout. Use it by painting the back of leaves with paint and then "stamp" your page. Put a sprig in olive oil in a pretty bottle for kitchen decor and basil infused oil for cooking. Trade it, sell it, or give it away but don't discard it.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Donna, the problem with FL is the high heat. Some plants need full sun but not full sun and high heat. 100 degrees is just too hot for most gardens. Okra can handle it and corn can but corn will need plenty of water. Okra won't even grow unless it is hot. It needs some water but nothing like other garden plants. If you really want to grow veggie gardens then you need to water and provide some type of shade. The high heat is a problem in TX too.

I will grow some of the plants and will buy bulk for the rest of what I hope to put up. Talked to DD2 and she wants to get in on it too so the more we can get in it the larger quantity we can buyat a better price.Hoping DD1 and DDIL wants in too. We can get together, buy what we need and preserve it together. That way we won't need to each buy a pressure canner. Like a family co-op of sorts.

Basil is on my list of items to grow. Do you grow yours potted and indoors or on a patio or deck or in a regular garden?

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Here is a link or a simple shade for gardens. use larger PVC pipe on the beds and then slip smaller diameter pvc pipes into for the arches - easy installation and removal. Use bird neting or screendoor material for shad eand to keep pests out.

http://andrewsseed.blogspot.com/2011/09/daily-inspira ti...

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Here's another easy way but only for small areas.

http://pinterest.com/pin/13257478275073477 0/

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 11:56 AM
In response to rockmom

• rockmom Said:

Basil is on my list of items to grow. Do you grow yours potted and indoors or on a patio or deck or in a regular garden?

I grow mine in a pot on my patio of my apartment. It's been super hot this summer so there have been many times where it wilted so much I thought it was a gonner. But then I water it like crazy and the next day the leaves are full and happy. So now we water it A LOT every morning and it's been doing amazing.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
  • rockmom Said:

I grow mine in a pot on my patio of my apartment. It's been super hot this summer so there have been many times where it wilted so much I thought it was a gonner. But then I water it like crazy and the next day the leaves are full and happy. So now we water it A LOT every morning and it's been doing amazing.

Yeh, my DD1 and her family live in the DFW area too so I know how hot it is up there. We went to DGD birthday party in July and it was brutally hot. Your plant loses turger pressure from lack of water and that causes it to wilt. Have you thought of watering it from the bottom up? Set the pot in a pan of water and it will wick upwards or have you tried taking it indoors?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 01:01 PM
In response to rockmom

Yes, we take it inside when it's too hot out, but then they turn yellow. Like, after one day. I think they like the sun more and we don't have ay sunny windows. I tried watering it from the bottom up (that's how I take care of my african violets) but the water always evaporated throughout the day.

I'll admit, I know pretty much nothing about plants and how to properly care for them. But we figured out real quick that we have to water them every morning before we leave for work.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 01:03 PM
In response to Vae

Not to totally change the subject, but on another thread we got to talking about hobbies and my husband and I have some very unusual ones. The ones most people think are strange are that we chase tornadoes, and we are very active in the renaissance festival (that's where we met). But my husband also does real combat fighting in full armor. I found some pics and uploaded them to post in the other thread, but they are fun so I thought I would show you all as well

(no need to comment or anything, just photos I wanted to share)

My knight in shining armor
By Jarvae

DH in armor
By Jarvae

DH fighting
By Jarvae

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to Vae

Good evening ladies!!

Jarvae - We went to a Renaissance Festival once for my daughter's birthday. It was a LOT of fun!! It was a few hours from where we live but well worth the trip. They had jousting and everything. I think it would be neat to dress up and participate in such a festival. Do you have any pics of yourself dressed up for the festival?

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to cdjohnson

Jarvae-You really did find your "knight in shining armor" That is so cool. Those are great hobbies.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 05:57 PM
In response to cdjohnson

• cdjohnson Said:
Do you have any pics of yourself dressed up for the festival?

I've got TONS of pics of myself. I'll see what I can dig up. We have friends who work at all the ones in Texas. I started going when I lived in Colorado, so I've been going for almost 20 years. I just love it. I'll see what pics I can dig up.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

ACU2H

Jarve, great photos of your "knight!"

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to Vae

On my LO of the house...that was my son & dil's first little house. They have a much larger house now, but this one has a special place in their hearts.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 06:02 PM
In response to Vae

Dropping off one. Yep, just one. I had a 3 day weekend and hoped to get a lot more pages done, but I must be the worlds slowest scrapbooker. This page actually all came to me today (I just couldn't come up with anything I liked Friday or yesterday).

I'm not sure how I feel about it but I am glad it's done. I might end up redoing it later. This is probably the most important page of the wedding album and I just don't feel that it's the best it could be, yaknowwhatimean? Of course, I put a huge amount of pressure on myself over this one to make it "perfect".

I am happy to say though, that the whole idea came from my head. I'm sure all the elements came from things I've seen over time, but I didn't actually scraplift this one. Not that I have a problem with lifting, it's just that I do it pretty much all the time and I have always been kind of self conscious that I can never seem to come up with any good ideas on my own. So I do feel pretty good about that part.

AND I got to use the stick pins I just made yesterday. When I made them I had no idea when or IF I would be able to use them... so yay

The Kiss
By Jarvae

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to cdjohnson

Wow, those photos are awesome. I bet that armour weighs a ton.

Sounds as if you have figured out just what sun and water your plant needs to thrive. I will say that if you intend to keep it long term you will at some point need to feed it as watering it flushes out the soil's nutrients.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 06:36 PM
In response to rockmom

• rockmom Said:
Wow, those photos are awesome. I bet that armour weighs a ton.

Sounds as if you have figured out just what sun and water your plant needs to thrive. I will say that if you intend to keep it long term you will at some point need to feed it as watering it flushes out the soil's nutrients.

I did not know that. Very good to know, thank you for the tip! I'll bring that up to Rob... he does more of the plant care around here than I do. I think he has some plant food somewhere. Thanks!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 06:37 PM
In response to Vae

Yep, the armor weighs about 150 lbs I believe, give or take. He used to go running in it when he was trying to lose weight really fast. Can you imagine that? Hearing this awful racket outside and look out your window to see some dude in armor running down the street?

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
Yep, the armor weighs about 150 lbs I believe, give or take. He used to go running in it when he was trying to lose weight really fast. Can you imagine that? Hearing this awful racket outside and look out your window to see some dude in armor running down the street?

That gave me a much needed chuckle!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to rockmom

Good morning. D3O....TFL!

***FUNTOOLAS*** Sincerely Yours By Anna C

***FUNTOOLAS*** Sisters Always By Anna C

***FUNTOOLAS*** Good Times By Anna C

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to Anna C

Good morning!! I am in my scrap room and trying to straighten up a bit from the last scrap day I had. I make such a mess!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 06:07 AM
In response to cdjohnson

• cdjohnson Said:
Good morning!! I am in my scrap room and trying to straighten up a bit from the last scrap day I had. I make such a mess!!

I do too. Man, I was looking around this morning before leaving for work. I have 4 folding tables in my living room as my scrap area, and since it's the living room I try to pick it all up when I'm done. Not this weekend. There are flowers and ribbons and bling, oh my! Just everywhere!! I'll get to it later

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to Vae

My husband had glitter on his face today... Guess I didn't get all the glitter off the kitchen counter. lol

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 06:58 AM

hee hee!!! What a sparkly way to start the week!!

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to Anna C

Re gardening....big fail...no veggies this year and some of the flowers are croaking but I guess most look ok.

Jarvae..love the photos of your knight in very shining armour...was that armour that shiny back in the day do you think???? cuz a good tactic would be to blind the enemy in the sun. I would love to see one of those battles your dh participated in and I want to see you dressed up too...I went to a few renaissance fairs in the 70s and 80s..they had an awesome one in Novato Cal for a long time but the company that puts it on lost their lease or something...loved how everyone who worked there not only wore the costumes and walked the walk but they talked the talk...even the guys carrying garbage out...they'd yell "make way for the queens garbage"..and there was an authentic looking town square with a big fountain where women were doing their wash and gossiping in their accents....I miss it.
BTW if you ever travel out west to the San Francisco area, there is an awesome lss in Berkeley on 4th st called Scrapbook Territory..it is huge and stocks everything it seems....and they are big Tim Holtz fans....they carry zillions of stamps a whole aisle of ribbons, a whole back wall of cardstock etc etc etc.
Here is a layout my sister did of a trip we took there recently..make it big.
scrapper's heaven By Scrapkaty

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

• scrappin 2 Said:
My husband had glitter on his face today... Guess I didn't get all the glitter off the kitchen counter. lol

Maybe it's YOU you didn't get all the glitter off of....

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Vae

Good morning! We had a great time this weekend although it was a bit hot...like 95 plus! My BFF & I got all the merchandise sorted, folded, & priced and then into those 120 gal rubbermaid tubs. I don't think we have enough stuff this year but oh well!!! We spent $17,000 and had a ball doing it!!!

Jarvae--Cathe brought up "knight in shining armour" and it hit me that in your wedding album you could do a LO of that awesome photo of him with that as the title! Hmmmm?????

Loved all the chit chat and the awesome work everyone is doing. But I need to get to work and so I will say ado for now...

PS--Basil uses: Caprese salad, Reg salad, Bolongese sauce, fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, quatro formaggio over tortelinis, scrambled eggs, zucchini fried with it....the list goes on & on & on (can you tell I'm Italian! Donna too & I'm sure she can add to my list). I do however like Jeannie's idea!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 08:34 AM
In response to Abby0317

Jeannie, I don't think the armor was always that shiny. It's funny because Rob is one of the few with shiny armor. He really wanted a mirror finish and it does help blind his enemies at times. The ones who paint theirs black always get so hot in the sun... Rob's is nice and reflective.

I will go look for some pics... I forgot about that last night.

So sorry to hear about your veggies That's a bummer.

I'll add that LSS to my traveling list. I'm always looking for great ones- thanks!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 08:37 AM
In response to Abby0317

• Abby0317 Said:

Jarvae--Cathe brought up "knight in shining armour" and it hit me that in your wedding album you could do a LO of that awesome photo of him with that as the title! Hmmmm?????

Terry,

Yes, I have thought of using that and plan to use that title on my page of just him. I'm also going to do a totally separate album on our faire life and his fighting and such and have a few Knight in Shining Armor titles for that as well.

Yes, our hobbies do make for some great pages (if I could ever get around to making them!)

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 08:38 AM
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:

We need an icon for "spit drink out on my keyboard"

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 09:00 AM
In response to Vae

Well, I'm embarrassed to say that it took me a while to find some pics of me at ren faire that are "forum appropriate".

I dress as a pirate wench at faire, which means lots of cleavage of course. So hopefully these aren't offensive to anyone. I'll take them down immediately if they are.

Jarvae at Faire
By Jarvae

Crystal and Jarvae at Faire
By Jarvae

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:01 AM
In response to Vae

You sound like a very busy girl, Jarvae! Your work sounds interesting and such a wonderful opportunity to travel!

I am familiar with what you do to a certain extent. When I worked at our local telephone company we had people that would come and train us on software. The last that I remember was the new billing software. I can't remember what company they came from though. I have been retired since, 2007.

I love to go to New York City. I do not get to go that often and when I have gone, it was with daughters and grandchildren. I love going to shows on Broadway and the ones that stand out in my mind that I loved were The Lion King, Beauty and The Beast and Hair Spray. Have also been to Radio City Musical Hall a couple of times and saw the Rockettes.

My daughter Jill to me to the site where the Twin Towers were. At that time the memorial had not been build. It was sad knowing so many lost their lives there.

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:06 AM
In response to dollscrap

Jeannie your pub nights with your hubby sound like fun. I bet they have great food there too.

Allen and I used to love to have a get a way weekend in Portland, Me. (100 miles from us). Always loved sitting in the bar and having a drink, eating and watching their big TV's.

If you like movies with special effects, if you saw Pirates of the Caribbean (the 3 or 4 that are out)you probably loved them! I actually did myself. I have a couple of sons that are very big into the Star Wars movies, reruns etc. I bought my oldest son a Star Wars mug last year for his birthday and one would think I gave him a million dollars!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:08 AM
In response to rockmom

We gave up the canning, freezing and gardening when all of our children left home. The last couple of years, I have really wished for a small garden. I love fresh green beans, peas, cucumbers and tomatoes!

I can't get over how food prices have sky rocketed!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:11 AM
In response to dollscrap

Jeannie, I am a dot person when I write to. It just seems easier when I am typing fast!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Tishd

Hiya everyone!

Sorry about the plants not growing Jeannie. That is always so dissapointing. Maybe it was the cool wet summer?

Glitterfied husband, how funny!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:35 AM
In response to Vae

Love the photo's of the knight in shining armor and the wench ones!!! I can picture your husband running now in the heavy outfit. All I can think of is the tin man in the Wizard of OZ!!!!!

Anna good morning to you! I am playing a quick catch up here. I swore I would not get behind again, but I see I am indeed behind!

We had a busy weekend. Yesterday a couple of our daughters took us out to lunch at a great Italian place in Belfast, then hubby took a nap in the car while I shopped awhile with the girls. We have a favorite boutique we love going to. My big purchase was earrings!

This morning was my annual physical and that went well. Good to go as far as my primary care physician goes for another year (unless I need her she said sooner).

Wednesday I go to my oncologist (I go for blood work every three months with her).

Beautiful day here today, but we had a chilly start.

Terry, I can't rememberif I told you or not, but my daughter in law, Lisa, is Italian. I am in love with Italian foods!

Cathe, How is Ozzie doing. We used to get asked to dog sit quite often for Jill and Chip, but they haven't asked us for a year or so. I really think that they think the dogs are to much for us now! I love to have them come. When we take them out here, we have to put them on a leash because of the main road, so I think they are afraid the dogs will take me for a walk instead of my taking them!

I can see Rum now with glitter on his face!!!!!

Donna did you get some good photo's for your son's school project? I take my camera with me most of the time also. My family gets rather tired of my sticking the camera in their faces!

Katy, hello, hello....my mind has gone blank but I hate leaving anyone out! Oh I remember, you said you found a new lady doctor and she was great! Our new PCP is a lady doctor and I love her! She has been our doctor for a little over a year. She takes her time to listen, explains and never makes one feel rushed.

My oncologist is a woman too. I have always had men for physicians until Dr. Ruxton and Dr. Thrower (both women)...they are great!

Cheryl, Shatema and Ashley...hi to you. Got to rush now, I have grandchildren getting off the bus shortly today!!!! Also need to catch up on the layouts I have missed!

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:36 AM
In response to Tishd

Almost forgot to drop off!

MEMORIES By Tishd

Tishd
Tishd 
Angel
Tishd
  • Tishd on 09-17-12 10:52 AM
In response to Tishd

OH OH! I forgot to say hello to my friend JoJo! Are you getting ready for the leaf peepers at the camp grounds Jojo???

This is such a gorgeous time of year in New Hampshire and Vermont! Maine too!!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 11:04 AM
In response to Tishd

• Tishd Said:
Love the photo's of the knight in shining armor and the wench ones!!! I can picture your husband running now in the heavy outfit. All I can think of is the tin man in the Wizard of OZ!!!!!

I never thought of that! That will go perfectly with my Elphaba act I plan to do. Some day. My best friend and I have been talking about dressing up as Elphaba and Glinda from Wicked for ages. Now we have a tin man!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 11:19 AM
In response to Tishd

• Tishd Said:

Donna did you get some good photo's for your son's school project? I take my camera with me most of the time also. My family gets rather tired of my sticking the camera in their faces!

You mean you haven't had your camera surgically implanted yet? LOL that's what my friends think. They tease me that they don't recognize me without a camera in front of my face!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to Vae

Jarvae....you asked about my hexagons. They were cut with the Cricut Winter Wonderland cartridge. This was my first time using them on a layout and I had no idea how to arrange them. I arranged them a zillion times before I settled on that arragement.

Terry and Jeannie, I would be honored if you used that hexagon layout as inspiration. As I told Jarvae, I cut the hexagons then arranged them until I was satisfied. No sketch, just a random
design from me.

Have a great evening ladies! See you in the a m!

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to dollscrap

• dollscrap Said:
  • scrappin 2 Said:

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Anna C

Hi hi!!

Where does the time go? My weekend is almost over

Denise-thanks for letting me know why my garden doesn't fair well. I don feel like such a failure now lol I grow my Basil in pots..

JarVae-those Renaissance Phots are awesome! We used to go to the one in the Pocanos every year when we lived in New York. I especially loved it near Halloween...they had an Edgar Allen Poe theme..it was amazing! As for basil...two of my favorite recipes are bruschetta (which we are having tonite) and pesto. I'll post the recipes when I have more time later. You can also freeze it to use later in sauce or other recipes

I'll BBL to finish getting caught up. Gott start dinner

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2

YHEA!! It is raining. We are still 10 inches below normal.

Today I had to help my sil look for a new gas range. Now I want one. lol First we'd have to get the gas hook up. We have electric stove now...flat glass top. I hate it.

Jarvae-the Renaissance Fair costumes are awesome. I bet it is a lot of fun playing a pirate wench.

Have a good evening everyone.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson

Jarvae - LOVED your Renaissance pictures!! Thanks for sharing with us.

I have been cleaning and organizing my scrap room and then my son and Maddie and Brayden came over for a surprise visit.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 02:00 PM
In response to cdjohnson

Thanks everyone- glad you enjoyed the pictures! Hopefully I'll get to do some fun layouts with them soon.

Thanks also for the basil ideas! we have caprese salad several times per week. It's my favorite. and we throw it into pretty much anything else I can think to add it to. I make a basil tea that is very refreshing! But I never thought to freeze it!! Great idea!!

Cathe, why don't you like the flat stove? I love mine! So easy to clean!

Anna, thanks for the info! I can't wait to scraplift that page!!

Tish, so glad to hear the Dr's appts went well and that you had a great weekend!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

I am with you Cathe, I would love to have a 6 burner gas stove top! We do have gas in the house but there is not a gas line to the stove that I can find. We would need to run one.

Glad to hear you are getting a spot of rain Cathe, we had some this weekend too. Not too much, just about right soak in!

Yeh, Donna, gardening is not just a walk in the park. Everything needs to work in cencert or else its a bust. Even with all the experience I have had sometimes my plants just don't grow or produce or I have them growing nicely and the bugs attack. Its usually something.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Saw this on Pinterest and thought I'd share for those of you that use spellbinders. I don't use them but know a lot of folks do.

I've had several questions as to how I cut images out with shaped dies and leave one area hanging out of the die shape. Here are a few pictures to show the method I use to do this.

1. Position your die over your image as you will be cutting it, and make a light pencil line at the inside edge of the die, around the areas you want to hang outside your frame.

2. Using a craft knife, cut in from the edge of your panel to the outermost tip of those areas, then trim carefully around the parts you want outside your frame, down to your pencil line. **Take care to trim right along the outline - resist the urge to just cut straight down to the line and trim later. Trust me on this one.
3. Reposition your die where you had it previously, with the cutting edge down, and lift the cut areas out to the non-cutting side of the die. Run through your die cutting machine as usual to cut and emboss.
4. Remove die cut and erase your pencil line. That's it!
A hint.... you might have noticed in the piece above that in cutting around the petals at the upper left, I cut in beyond the edge of the oval. If you're like me and that totally bothers you (!!), you can cut another oval, or just that section of another oval, and layer it behind your panel to fill in the missing area.

If you're a visual learner, Splitcoaststampers has an excellent video tutorial HERE.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to rockmom

Dropping off:

Happy Birthday! By Cdjohnson

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to rockmom

Back again!
Love the wench photos Jarvae! What a fun thing to do. The nearest festival here is in Ashland OR which is over 350 miles away. I did go to the one in CO many yrs ago and had a ball.
Cathe--Denise...last year dh decided he had enough of the glass top and what we did is buy a dual stove. Meaning the oven is electric & the top burners are gas. We don't have gas in the house to we bought 2 propane 30 gal containers, punched a hole from outside right where the stove sits. Within 2 hours dh had us up and running. About every 3 months a tank needs refilled. It's great --really. Look into it if you really want one. Sears sells them, Ge, all top brands have them.
Here's a link: http://www.bizrate.com/ranges/4037711347.html

Thanks Anna...I'm going looking for that cartride right now....

BB tomorrow--hi to all!!!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Abby0317

Terry, how interesting. your DH is so handy. My set up, from the 70s, is a double oven in one wall and a stove top on a counter. I love having two ovens but they are small and narrow and I do not like that at all!

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to rockmom

Dropping off again:

Wayne By Cdjohnson

DNA301
DNA301 
Queen
DNA301
In response to cdjohnson

Random Dance Digi...

I've been this way before By DNA301

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to DNA301

Good morning!! This is homecoming week at Priscilla's high school. Today was nerd day. You should have seen her gathering all the stuff she wanted to wear today. The really sad part is most of it belongs to my husband. I took pics and will definitely be scrapping them.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to cdjohnson

Cheryl the Nerd Day sounds like a lot of fun for the kids. I think it is hilarious that Priscilla found items in you dh's closet!

Terry -you sure know how to solve a problem. Dh knows someone who can put a gas line in for us. I wish he'd mOve on it.

It is a gorgeous day, blue sky and only going to be 60. Maybe fall is here.

Off to get something done. Have a great day.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2

Denise thanks for the info on die cutting. I'll have to check it out later.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Good morning.

THanks Denise. I will have to check it out when I get home. Can't access it from here at work.

Cheryl, nerdy stuff from DH? Can't wait to see pics!

Hey to everyone else here!

Edited by Anna C on 09-18-12 06:15 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Abby0317
Mayor
Abby0317
In response to Anna C

Morning ladies...

Cheryl, that sounds really fun for Priscilla! Can't wait to see the photos!

Nothin' going on here either so I'll bbl....

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to Anna C

Country Boy By Scrappin 2

Here is my latest.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson

Dropping off:

Home Sick By Cdjohnson

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to cdjohnson

Dropping off and sorry this one looks crooked. I guess I can't photo straight today. It really is straight in real life!!

BUNDLED UP By Cdjohnson

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 10:44 AM
In response to cdjohnson

Hi everyone! I'm going to go catch up in a little bit but wanted to say hello!

I didn't get any scrapping done last night but I did make it to my other LSS (the one near my office) for $2 make-n-take Tuesdays. I love it! I actually got today's and one from a previous week that is super cute. I won't be able to use them for quite a while but you really can't beat $2 these days.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 11:02 AM
In response to Vae

ACU2H

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

Wow, 2 dollars is super!

Just got back from hubby's cardio appt. He is having a procedure tomorrow that could work into something more serious. If I am not around you will know why.

My dad had his cardio appt today and they were able to get his heart back to normal rhythm, hopefully it will not go back into A-fib.

DDIL had her cardio appt today too and she is still on hold for her repair.

I guess for our family it is "Heart day." Thank goodness DD1 didn't have one today too! sheesh, enough is enough already.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to rockmom

Denise - Please keep us informed as to what is going on with dh. Praying everything will be ok.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to cdjohnson

Dropping off:

Winter Wonderland By Cdjohnson

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to cdjohnson

Denis ..hope your dh will be fine.

Hi everyone.

Today the plan was to do a few chores (done) and then spend the day organizing my scrapcrap and putting together a few kits and getting pics ready for the retreat Thursday (fail). All I got done was making 3 little eggshell mosaics just like these,
...easy peasy...have NO idea what to do with them yet..now I really gotta get started.
sorry the link would not work for the mosaics for some odd reason the end of the link kept getting cut off dp anyway here is GabrielleP's layout with the mosaics on it and the link is in her description. I used the same colors as hers.
Snow White **PLUS Eggshell Mosaic Tutorial!!** By Gabriellep

Off to leave love.

Edited by dollscrap on 09-18-12 04:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to dollscrap

Jeannie - Thanks for posting this!! I looked at the tutorial for the mosaics and it does look simple. I am thinking some reds and greens with gold for Christmas layouts or cards!! Can't wait to give this a try.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to cdjohnson

Waiting for the Bus By Scrappin 2

I started this one last week. I had to let the texture paste dry. Then had to decide what I wanted to do with it.

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2

Good evening.

Denise-good thoughts going out to you and your family. Sure hope you dh comes through with flying colors.

I went to our 12 yr. old granddaughter's soccer game. It was so cold. We have forgotten what it's like to have the weather so cold.

Being in Illinois, we have to close the pool each fall. antifreeze goes in the lines. Ugly winter cover is on the pool. It looks sad.

Our son in law's brother who was bit by the snake is home. So I guess he is going to be ok. thankfully. Thanks for your prayers and well wishes.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson

Dropping off a gift card holder:

Snowman gift card holder By Cdjohnson

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to cdjohnson

Hi all! I had to stop packing my stuff for the retreat..... I keep packing and packing! Next I'll be trying to stuff my desk into the totes,

Denise, I've got your DH in my prayers!

Cathe, I remember watching our dd's soccer games in pouring down rain, snow, heat, and dense fog! But we had a blast...even when we were shivering soaking wet sweaty....and trying to keep track of the ball and players out in the fog!

Jeannie, maybe you could have a mini class at the retreat making those cute eggshell mosaics! You could ask the cooks in the kitchen to save you the eggshells!

NOW that just about everything scrappy that I own is packed.... I wanna scrap!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 07:43 PM
In response to Scrapkaty

Denise, hugs and well wishes to you and your family!!!

Katy, I've never been to a retreat. How much stuff do you bring? 2 suitcases? 10? I've been talking to Rob about possibly going on a scrapping cruise in February and he says he thinks it would be too much stuff to haul. Same thing with a retreat. So I was just curious

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to Vae

Good Morning!

Denise-will keep your DH in my prayers

Jeannie-thanks for posting that mosaic link-those looks cool!

Cheryl-LOVE that gift cardholder!

Enjoy your retreat Jeannie and Katy. Lucky gals-that sounds like SO much fun!

Jarve-a scrapping cruise? That sounds awesome! I see them around here every now and then. None of my friends scrapbook though

Cathe-even though we’re in Florida we close our pool every season too. The water is starting to get chilly. The water was on the chilly side when we were in it Monday. Probably only have a few weeks of pool season left. I wish I had an inground pool…then we could heat it and use it all year long

Terry-a dual stove? Never heard of that! We have electric…but not a flat top-it has those electric rings. I miss gas SO much! You just can’t roast a marshmallow over an electric range. My hubby isn’t a handyman so making a hole in our house for a propane tank would not be possible lol

So here are a few pics from our homeless photo shoot. I’m not too happy with how they came out. They look too “posed”. I’ve always preferred photographing objects and landscape over people photos. People just aren’t my thing lol We’re gonna take some more on Sunday…will take my son over to the gas station and have him pose for me. He’s thrilled about that! NOT! Lol But it IS his project-so he has to lol

Going shopping before work this morning-need s’more cruise attire. Have a great day!

Sleep By DittoBabyGirl

No Hope By DittoBabyGirl

Moment of Joy By DittoBabyGirl

Rainy Day By DittoBabyGirl

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Happy Hump Day Ladies!

Denise, I hope your husband’s procedure doesn’t turn into any major. Hope it goes smoothly.

Cathe, love your brick wall on that layout. You used a brick template and just added the paste, right? I have watched our dd play soccer in all kinds of weather….snow, sleet, rain, cold, heat, a bit of everything. Boy, I sure miss those days!

Jeannie, were you pleased with how your eggshell mosaics turned out? Would you make some more?

Donna, have fun shopping! Your photos look great, but I agree, they do look a bit posed. However, they will make awesome scrapping material!

Have a great day ladies!

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to Anna C

Good afternoon!! I had to teach a CPR class today so I am in here late on a day "off".

Donna - love the photos, yes they do look posed but so what!!

Jeannie & Katy - Have fun!!

Cathe - I watched my son play football in all sorts of horribl weather, but I would do it again in a minute.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to cdjohnson

Yes Anna they look just like Gabby's so I am happy with them and would make them again..ya know, the only problem was getting the membrane out of the egg..I couldn't see it or feel it unless I cracked off a bit of egg and then it would kinda stick up so I could grab and peel...but only a part of it would peel off but then I couldn't see where the rest of it was. The rest of the project was fun though..I like Cheryl's green and red mosaic idea for Christmas.

Donna what day do you leave for your cruise?
Cool pics!! Are they a real homeless couple? sad if so...but wonderful dramatic photos.

Thanks for all the well wishes for our retreat.

I have all my pics organized and I know what I want to take...every [email protected] thing I own lol. I bought to plastic containers today....one bigger than a shoe box and one 3 drawer thingy for flowers and bling.

If any of you've never been to a retreat you're in for a treat and a big shock...the stuff some of those gals haul in there is amazing..I think I am bringing a lot but it's nothing compared to what some gals have set up....they stack things on their tables 3 feet high (we each have our own 6 foot table)....and bring cupboard thingies...and they are so organized...setting these things up and tearing them back down in no time. Also there are vendors there too...gals setting up little stores of clothes, purses...blingy purses and caps...jewelry..scrap related shirts ( I have one that says He hunts, I scrap.) ... and scrap related things like totes and the owner who has an lss of her own brings her store there too..cool stuff.
Jarvae..you asked Katy about what to bring.....you will want to bring everything but if you make kits ahead of time you won't have to...I don't have the discipline to do that ahead of time so I just bring all my favorite stuff...it's a lot but those retreats are great and you can get so much done so it is worth it. I bring my husband's big duffle bag with all my clothes and towel and sheet and pillow and toiletries. As for scrapcrap...I brought 2 totes, a huge one and a medium one and about 6 or 7 various other boxes. Someone stole my totes but I do have another big square wheeled thingy that dh takes on business trips that I can use and he bought me a huge collapsible canvas sided wagon to carry all the smaller boxes. You can bring a cricut but the Scrapgrlz retreat provides one and a printer and a computer for journaling. They also provide breakfast lunch and dinner and snacks. You don't even have to get out of your pajamas if you don't want to. We have a masseuse too but you have to pay for that..she's good.

I have heard of those scrap cruises...embellishonline has them yearly...the only problem for me is I wouldn't get any scrapping done cuz I would want to get off the ship and take part in some of the shipboard activities...and then when would there be time to scrap?

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to dollscrap

Happy Birthday By Scrappin 2

another one I got done.

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson

Dropping off:

Purse gift card holder By Cdjohnson

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-19-12 05:06 PM
In response to cdjohnson

Donna,

Love the pics. I think they are great. I think it's probably a good thing that your kids don't naturally look like homeless people.

Jeannie,

Thanks for the info on the retreat! I always hear people talking about taking "a ton" of stuff, or "everything I have" but I still couldn't really visualize what that means. "A ton" could mean something totally different to me than someone else. SO thanks so much for breaking it down into number of luggage pieces, boxes etc. That helps!

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson
In response to Vae

Think I am going to call it a night and go read. See everyone tomorrow evening.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to cdjohnson

Well the results are in and they are not as I dreaded and there is no new surgery required, however, two of his bypasses have closed but the major one is still pristine! Thank God. I got to bring him home and no hospital stays. Such a relief. thanks to all for the well wishes.

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty
In response to rockmom

Denise! YEAY! I'm glad there is no bad news for dh...and that he got to go home!! I'll still keep him in my thoughts!!
Donna, those are some good photos you took.
Jarvae, I tried to just pack what I KNEW what I would be using....but then other items kept jumping into my totes and boxes..just thinking I MIGHT use those...so now, 2 wheelie totes, 4 12x12 plastic paper containers, 2 paper totes, one basket full of Thickers, one container full of punches, and one heavily packed tool tote....I THINK I'm ready to roll! ....oh, and one photo box full of photos! Can't forget those!!!
Jeannie....Except for having to pull off the egg membrane off the shell, those little mosaics look fun to make!........and see ya in about 6 1/2 hours!!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to Scrapkaty

Good morning!

Thanks for the update on the egg shells, Jeannie! Your creations look really great.

Cute purse too, Cheryl!

Denise, yeah for great news for dh! Hope all others are ok too.

Have a great day ladies!

scrappin 2
Queen
scrappin 2
In response to Anna C

Denise- glad to hear that your dh doesn't need additional surgeries. WHEW!

Oh to go to a retreat or crop. I haven't been to one in years. I think I scrap better at home where all my stuff is. It would be fun to go away with my sister thought. Have fun you two.

Beautiful sunny day...........oh Cheryl's lo is one "featured" today.

bbl Have a great day.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-20-12 10:12 AM

Hi everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up. I'll get caught up in a bit. I've been exhausted... work is crazy and I've been getting to bed after 1 am every night. I'm wiped.

Denise I'm glad to hear the great news!

Have a great day everyone I'll catch up later

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

have fun at the retreat Katy and Jeannie! It would be so much fun to have a daughter or a sister to go scrapping with. Thankful that I do have my scrappy frinds here to share with.

Jarvae, here is wishing you some rest. I think I have 6 hours sleep in the last 3 days. I actually am one of those that need 9 hours sleep so I understand your exhaustion.

Congrats to Cheryl on her win.

I have been so pleased with the nice weather here. It is unusal and unexpected but welcomed.

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to rockmom

Hey guys!

Glad to hear your DH Doesn't need surgery!

Thanks for the input on my photos. I'm going to take s'more photos this weekend using my son this time. I'm glad my son doesn't look home too Jarvae! Every now and then he'll try to get away with wearing his pants low...but I get on his case. I hate that look...I threaten to hide his boxers if I catch him with droopy pants. That'll end that look lol

Jeannie...the couple in my photos aren't homeless...they're my friends lol

I leave 3 weeks from today for Cozemel! Can you tell how excited I am? Lol

Trying to get caught up but still have some lovin to leave

Have a great night!

cdjohnson
Queen
cdjohnson

Good evening!!

Denise - Glad to hear your DH was able to go home and no surgery!!

Jeannie and Katy - Have fun!!

Donna - I see you are counting down the days

Be back tomorrow evening

Page 4 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics