Username Post: I need my motivation back!        (Topic#1580425)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think I left it in Hawaii!

I'm working on a page for Silver River Park with an alligator on it and cannot get into it. Just stare at the pictures and move them around. Truth is, I really don't want to do this page.

But... I like to do them in order and if I did the ones I wanted to do first, some would never get done and they are part of our family story.

I have learned that when I don't want to do a page - just can't get interested, I am more inclined to go thoriugh the gallery and go through my files of layouts and really work at it - almost force it. And strangely enough, those are some of my very favorites. I think I just try harder on those and in my opinion, it shows.

Will hit the gallery and saved files right now. Once I get it rolling I know I will be happy with it. It is the just getting it rolling that is difficult.

I've got a crop Sept 21st and 22nd as well as one on Sept 29th so I need to get a lot of pages ready to finish - I think I have about 30 page kits put together, would like to have that many more to keep me busy at the crops.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Henri Jean

I'm sorry your motivation is awol. I've got the motivation (well to craft, anyway) but I don't have time with the new job. Right now I have to be content with painting one side a day of a 10" box I'm making for my friend's elementary school library. I don't think I've ever gotten more enjoyment out of acrylic paint than I did today when I snuck two coats in between my daily quota of cold calls.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

It happens to me too. I sometimes put a LO aside. I have an Iris 12x12 that is a "work in progress box". I'm not sure if I have idea overload from all of the great LO's I'm saving in my FAVES, or if I have ADD.

I suddenly started a book for my mother, and I have a feeling that once it's done, I'm not going to know how to get back to what I was working on.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Henri~I'm trying to finish a Tahoe trip LO, but these pics of gators keep coming up on my screensaver...and that's what I want to scrap :>) I guess scrapping is like anything else...what we aren't working on always seems to sound more interesting than what we're currently doing. Guess I should get off this site and go scrap for a little bit~Judy (Good luck finding your lost mojo!)

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-04-12 03:54 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

Henri take a look in the Monthly Sketch challenge. Jamariel is adding a sketch a day. Maybe one of those will help.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to GMFTS

If I can't get into a layout, I turn to a sketch. But sometimes, the pictures don't call to me and I struggle and struggle. It is now why I scrap out of order. I use three ring binders so it is easy to add my pages in. I scrap what calls to me. There is no stress or worrying about a page! I get around to scrapping all the pictures I want to. And it makes it more enjoyable to me!!! I know that some people can't scrap this way. My girlfriend can't...she HAS to scrap in order. For me, I play by no rules scrapping!!!!!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to binkiemonstermom

Henri - I am looking for my mojo too! Stared at pics that I printed all weekend. Finally scrapped a page yesterday. But on the up side -- I got my scrap room totally clean. Felt I couldn't scrap until I organized -- AGAIN!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ncyankee

I always layout two pages at a time at least - the left and right. Its always an even number.

The left side is the alligator page at Silver River - the pictures just aren't that exciting. The right side is pictures of my son and me with a Mickey Mouse statue. That is already to glue but I just can't bring myself to bring out the next set of two until these two are tucked in.

I've got the basics done on the alligator - papers picked, pictures matted. Just not real happy with it so need to go to the gallery for inspiration. I'm liking the way the colors are working together and I think I may try doing letters in a circle like a rainbow - don't know what else to call it. Arched - maybe that is it. I've never done that before.

Its still kind of plame but has promise.

I have an alligator punch which is way too small but I may punch it, blow it up on the copier and then try to fussy cut it. That coule work.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

As long as you have been away from home, it may take a few days to get your scrap legs back under you. I say just keep checking out the galleries and sketches, but don't try to force it to come together too quickly.
Hope your mojo returns soon!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to chocolateaxel

HL has great paper in the specialty section of scrapping. It looks like alligator skin. Just saying.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

Alligator skin... I need to file that in my brain for another alligator layout comoing up very soon. We were at Everglades National Park so it may work for those. I hope to getting around to scrapping those very soon! I will definitely check hobby lobby for it. Seems I have another alligator to scrap somewhere from our trip to Key West.

For this one I decided on green stripes in different shades of green to pick up all the colors in the water and the leaves and swamp greenery around the alligator.

I found inspiratoin in sbartist's gallery (she's a great one to go to for inspiration - the best!) and I'm modifying one of hers - not exactly the same but definitely the inspiration and ideas are there.

I am going to write the title in an arch which I've never done before and the ideas are there. And, I'm actually liking the way it is coming along. This is going to be a page I'm pleased with. I'm glad I stuck with it and forged on.

I think its going to be a pretty page. Bonnie's page that inspired me is beautiful but she's Bonnie and I'm not. She makes all her pages look beautiful. But she's great to get ideas from!

My goal tomorrow is to get this to the finishing stages (I'm close) and get the first two pages of Epcot ready to take to the crop to finish which means deciding exactly what to do with them. Embellies and photos are picked and I think I've got the paper I want to use for them.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Do you need animal print often? DCWV has a pad that is wild....called Gone Wild. J's has it. Bright colors.

Tail of the Dragon By CrimsonMama

Tail of the Dragon 2 By CrimsonMama

You are always visiting exotic places, you might need to scrap a water buffalo or something else!

Diva
In response to CrimsonMama

I know thw feeling! I have been working with some old pictures that I want to give to my daughters. Sometimes, not sure what to do with them.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to bayamonesa1

I don't scrap chronologically because this "mojo loss" happend to me. It started being too stressful trying to always scrap in order. But, I do have to admit I was better at getting complete albums finished before "I changed". Now, when I can't complete pages in order or when I get a huge amount of pictures developed ahead, I use the pocket pages to put the pictures in the album at the correct spot. I can go back an scrap as time permits but at least the pictures can be looked at. This relieved some stress for me.

Henri, you can't loose your mojo - you are so inspirational to us, what would we do?!!!!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to wilbur

I'm like Wilbur. I used to scrap chronologically but then you could tell when I was in a streak of "I'm just not that into it" so I switched it up to scrapping what I feel like, when I feel like it and my pages reflect that.

I do miss the completeness of scrapping chronologically though.

I also go to the gallery for inspiration and to get the mojo going. Trouble is, I tend to spend more time there and then run out of time to scrap.

I have two months until my scrapbook retreat and I want to get a bunch of page kits put together so I don't have to bring my whole scraproom. I need motivation for that too.

you can do it Henri

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

I like those pages Crimson - very nice. I haven't done my gallery comments in a while. I wait until my mailbox has a lot of notifications and then I do them all at once and I know there are some of your newest layouts there that I have not commented on.

I have a glitch in my scrapbook.com program and tech support didn't know how to fix it. When I got my new computer for Christmas (guess it isn't new anymore), when mail notifications came in for gallery posts I had to log in to scrapbook.com again. Then when I came back to the boards I had to log in again. I get tired of logging in back and forth so now I wait until there is a bunch to look at and spend a couple hours so I don't have to log into to scrapbook.com and then log in to it again to come to the boards and go back and forth. Does that makes sense? I don't know why it started doing that when I got this computer - didn't used to do that.

Anyway - The page is worked out - partially on paper and partially in my mind and I like it. I've been forced to think outside the box on this one and its been good for me.

The next pages I'm doing are Epcot pages and they will kind of work themselves becasue I have so many embellies and lots of specialty papers and then the Herman's Hermit page which will be fun. Then I move on to Key West and I'm really looking forward to doing those.

Just need to get this one page out of the way so it isn't hanging over my head. But, ones that stump me like that and frustrate me usually turn out to be some of my favorites. I try harder. Ones like this also force me to think outside the box and even use tools I would not normally use.

On this one I'm using the little thing I bought on ebay to make curved letters which I've never used before. And I'm having fun with it. Its just challenging me.

I will go to Hobby Lobby in the next few days and get the alligator skin or hide (hyde?) paper.

After I finish Key West I get to do our drive from Florida, through Texas (Alamo, River Walk) and Arizona (tons of cactus pictures), to Las Vegas and Reno and then on to Seattle. From there I have the 7-day Alaska cruise to scrap, then 4 more days in Seattle with the Seattle Aquarium, King Tut exhibit, Underground Seattle tour and Crab Pot with friends for dinner. Then Yellowstone Park with elk, moose, and other assorted animal, then Mt. Rushmore, Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns, Corn Palace and on to a place I fell in love with - Wallace Idaho.

Plan to scrap the silver mine tour and then my favorite - the Oasis brothel. Going to have a lot of fun with that one. THen on through to Georgia for dinner with our son, daughter-in-law and new granddaughter.

From there we were coming home to Ocala, but went within 100 miles to Jacksonville instead and jumped on a plane to Hawaii instead and spent 3 weeks on Pearl Harbor and running around Waikiki and the North Shore.

So my scrapping is planned for the rest of the year!

However, when we got home from the 8 week trip - across the US - Alaska cruise, back across the US and then Hawaii I had my files set up that night. Also had all the embellies on the files and memorabilia sorted and on the files. Bill put pictures in to be developed the next day, that night Walgreens called to tell us that someone blew up the order and we needed to go back and download them again. I guess 800 photos overwhelmed their machines.

The next day Bill took the flash drive in again. I had to wait until the next morning to pick up my pictures and they all look a little dark to me - will decide if any need to be done over when I get to them. They the are sorted and in the files and they are put away until I get get to them.

I just need to take them out of the verticle thing one file at a time - they are in order and all the photos, memorabilia and embellies are in the file along with some of the patterned paper if it is themed. And we have only been home 5 days today!

Okay - going to go rummage something for breakfast and then finish working on Crystal River and the alligator.

I'm really rambling on this one.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Henri, It's probably something set up different on your computer control panel under internet options, probably under privacy, secruity or advance settings, I don't know how to get you there otherwise because my hubby sets all my stuff up and I never mess with it.

Does it do that on other websites that you frequent?

Vicki

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

This is the only site that I'm aware that it does it. But it is the only site that sends me notifications so I can't really compare.

When I go to notifications and open somoenes gallery picture I have to sign in again. Pain in the neck. And when I go back to the boards I have to sign in again.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• Henri Jean Said:
I think I left it in Hawaii!

I'm working on a page for Silver River Park with an alligator on it and cannot get into it. Just stare at the pictures and move them around. Truth is, I really don't want to do this page.

But... I like to do them in order and if I did the ones I wanted to do first, some would never get done and they are part of our family story.

I have learned that when I don't want to do a page - just can't get interested, I am more inclined to go thoriugh the gallery and go through my files of layouts and really work at it - almost force it. And strangely enough, those are some of my very favorites. I think I just try harder on those and in my opinion, it shows.

boy do I hear ya on this.
Some pages just don't want to cooperate and others seem to make themselves (everything just falling into place magically).

personally I think I have become OVERWHELMED with all of the scrapbooking materials, tools, techniques, embellishments, etc. Making a scrapbook page has turned into a PRODUCTION! It's like the dread of having to cook a 12 course meal when I only want a grill cheese sandwich.

What happened? When did scrapbooking become such a chore! And then when a difficult page is finally done and in the album why am I not standing back and saying “that’s 6 hours of my life I’ll never get back?”

I think this is why I am finding digital scrapbooking so much more appealing now. I can completely finish a page in just an hour or two and still resize, reposition, change papers, test out embellishments, try stamping ideas, make journaling squares, all digitally to my heart’s content.

I just cannot go back to the days where every scrapbook page (using traditional materials) takes DAYS to finish. It’s just too much work.

Back to your situation... One of the greatest pieces of advice I got when I first joined this site was “Every page you make can’t be a museum quality masterpiece.” Meaning…sometimes you need to just slap the photos on some papers, put it in your album and move on. If the desire so moves you, some day you can go back and redo it but for now move on to the projects that give you joy.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

You know what? I have my notifications turned off because I don't want all that email! I get SO Much junk email! So, what I do is go to the activity stream, both friends and mine to see the comments and who has posted new work. And, when I get a comment from a friend, I frequent their gallery to see if they have posted anything new that I missed.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Gelidy Gelato

This is SO true! I enjoy taking two days to make a "masterpiece", but for the last month I have been working on a book for my mom, and doing Very simple LO's so it's going fast. I'm really enjoying that.

I guess I do have ADD because I jump from one project to another.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Need to get out for lunch...HL has 50% off paper this week. I guess I know where I'm going today.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• CrimsonMama Said:
You know what? I have my notifications turned off because I don't want all that email! I get SO Much junk email! So, what I do is go to the activity stream, both friends and mine to see the comments and who has posted new work. And, when I get a comment from a friend, I frequent their gallery to see if they have posted anything new that I missed.

This is kind of what I do. I don't get emails when people upload stuff, but I do get emails when my stuff gets commented on (and even then, I sometimes receive emails only for some comments and not others). I try to use the activity stream to keep up with what my friends post, although I also find a lot of great stuff by other people by watching what my friends comment on. And then periodically I go through my own activity stream to check who left comments on what, and then I drop by to thank them and see if they have things I'd like to comment on. Shamefully, I went about two months without doing that this summer and it took me over an hour to catch up (because I had posted a long album during that time). But I did take care of it and I'm back to doing it every week or so.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

Right, actually, I DO get an email when I get a PM, that way I will check for that immediately so I can respond.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to pugs223

Shhhhhh I can't hear you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I finished the page! Well, part is glued becuase it would be too hard to position again later and the rest is in the page kits for the next crop - but I know exactly how to finish it. And, I like it!

Gelidy - you sure hit the nail on the head. I am overwhelmed by all the paints and glues and inks and glitter and different tools. It is a production! And then when I finish I find another idea that would have been awesome on that page. But scrapbooking has become overwhelming for me too.

At some poitn I'm going to start dabbling in digital but right now I am enjoying th eglue and papers and especially the crops. Digital would be great for when we are on trips - I could do my pages as I go.

To be honest, digital scares the bejeebies out of me becuase I am not that computer literate. And I get frustrated with new things on the computer.

I just got Faceback worked out about a week ago and am tooling around on it just fine. Took me a long time though. Took 2 months to get my page up!

But I'm in complete agreement - I am overwhelmed by all the stuff and techniques.

Crimson - I did turn off the notifications and then I didn't seem to get to anybody's gallery. I'm not good about checking my activity stream. With the notifications I know I'm checking everyone's galleries and I like that. I just set one evening every couple weeks to open all the notifications. And I enjoy it when I do it. I love looking at everyone else's layouts.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I also have my preferences set so I get e-mails for PMs, but that's all. I'm trying to get into the habit of checking the Activity Stream, but time seems to disappear so quickly!

I started in digital. I have the FlipAlbum software that I really love since it lets people turn pages just like a book, plus music, or even voice recordings can be used. Great visual effects...I really enjoyed it.

It was also nice to be able to put an "album" onto a DVD and give copies to anyone who wanted one. Much easier than making duplicate paper albums!

When our oldest granddaughter grad. from HS in 2010 I told hubby it would be fun to make her an album. That was the beginning of my downfall. Silly me...I thought all I'd buy would be an album, a few pieces of paper and some glue.

Now that I've spent $$$$$, I don't know how to go back. I'm not going to give away everything I've had so much fun buying and I do enjoy scissors and glue, but paper scrapping sure takes a lot of space, time and money!

I'm not sure I spend any more time on paper (and maybe not as much time as digis) because I didn't use digi kits, but made all my own pages, so it was definitely time consuming also, but it was a lot cheaper and clutter-free!

Now I get monthly digi kits from another site, but don't have time to work with them, although I do print out parts of the kits and make them into paper embellies and backgrounds to print out.

I wish I had time to do it all~ And now I've started making some cards. My granddaughters have been enthusiastic about getting smashbooks. No...I'm not even going there...no room, no money, no time ~Judy the Frazzled

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I hear ya' Judy the frazzled.

Much of my time goes into organizing my stuff so I can use it. If I don't keep it organized, I forget about it.

I forgot about my micro-glitters. I have 39 jars and at $7.00 a jar - that is nearly $280.00. I don't even remember I have them and its been 2 years now.

Last week I took them out of the jars they came in and put them in clear jars that are made for beads and come in the clear plastic box.

Wrote color and number on each lid with a clear sharpie and now my glitters look nice and are stacked up and very colorful. Now, maybe I will use them.

daschweder
Veteran
daschweder

I was reading in a magazine I bought today. Its a scrapbook mag from the UK. It has an article about motivating your mojo. I thought of this thread.

It talked about looking around at the different things around you to get new ideas for layouts. Road signs and store fronts etc.. Then try and do the lo's as those things- like a street sign was used as an example and the lo was using strips of paper for the signs and had journaling on them and pics.
Hope that made some kind of sense.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to daschweder

I seem to be back to scrapping normally today.

Finished the one I was stuck on and got 4 more done today - at least put into page kits ready for glue.

Have two more in fornt of me now and I'll work on them tonight.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

We should come up with an acholic drink and name it sbm, scrapbooking mojo.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I like that idea. Any suggestions?

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I think sbm in a glass can be anything you feel like at that moment. So maybe sometimes wine is your sbm in a glass....sometimes you might find your sbm in a pina coloda....or whatever other tasty concoction you pour yourself

But to get back to the original subject ( funny how soooo many threads-regardless of the opening post-end up turning to food and/or alcohol )
I'm not a chronological scrapper and I look to the gallery here and sometimes my past layouts for inspiration.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics