Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Scrappy Weekend        (Topic#1580487)
Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

I love going to 1 day crops but hate packing for them because I always bring too much (is there such a thing?!).

Next month, I'm heading to my very first weekend scrapbook retreat and wondering if anyone has any tips. It will be at a resort with no lss nearby, so I'm worried I may over-do the over packing I already do

What are your shoulds shouldnts dos dones donts?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

I have a 2 day crop coming up this month and I'm getting prepared now.

I have about 40 pages already made into kits with the paper, embellies, photos - everything in files so all I have to do is assemble the pages.

I also sketched out where I want things to go so I can make mats and glue and get things completed.

If it requires a punch, I am just taking the ones I actually need for particular pages.

I'm doing Cricut labels in advance, lifting them onto Drywall tape and then putting them on typing paper so I don't have to take my Cricut.

I will take my Slice - I like the way it does smaller letters better and will use it on some and will actually make those letters at the crop. BUt I alreayd know what I want the titles to say.

If I need to ink edges, most of that is already done.

Usually it takes me 10-15 minutes to finish a layout - sometimes 30 minutes to finish one but I go home with a lot of pages finished and I don't take everything I own. I know exactly what I need for each page.

I have a craft wagon which I love and it is the best thing I have ever found for crops. If there is room I put it behind my chair and work out of it. Really keeps it simple!

My Little Red Craft Wagon By Henri Jean

I just make sure I have plenty of ATG tape and my trimmer and the essentials like that. But I don't take a lot of stuff I don't need - and that is easy to do when you plan out all your pages in advance so all you have to do is put them together.

Plus I am able to talk to the ladies and enjoy the crop and not be working through slumps or blocks or trying to come up with ideas. SO many of the ladies just move stuff around on the paper trying to decide what to do - for hours - and then complain becuase they got nothing done. I like to get stuff done at crops!

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to Henri Jean

Just take your basic tools you use over and again. Plan your pages, i.e., the paper and embellishments you want to use for your photos. We all have a tendancy to go overboard when bringing supplies to a crop.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to t-scraps

You are so right! I've watched some ladies bring 4 or 5 loads of stuff in and have as much stuff set up around them as if they were in the scrapbook store with no clue what they needed.

I've actually seen ladies bring portable shelving systems 5' high and start setting them up and then filling all the shelves for a 2 or 3 day crop. And still get almost nothing done besides haul stuff in and out and set things up.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I am that girl who brings everything in her scraproom to a weekend crop: all paper, embellies, tools, cricut, etc. Thank goodness for a mini-van and the bed & breakfast's conveyor that takes it to the 3rd floor for me. I would spend more time trying to pick the perfect paper and would get less than half the amount of LOs done as the super women of the group.

This year I'm hoping to do things a little differently. I'm hoping to at least have my pics organized and paper picked out for the LO's. I'll still bring my embellies (one medium tote from HL); my rolling tool box that has paper trimmer, punches, etc; and maybe a small tote of extra paper.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll probably bring my whole scraproom again.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

You are so funny Peg. The person I go with takes her whole scraproom. I love her to pieces - but the stuff she takes! If I took more we would not both fit in her car with all her stuff! I've rally pared down what I take becuase I don't like packing and unpacking it.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I know, the ladies laugh at me when I show up. But they also know if they need anything, I probably have it.

They also laugh because I take up half of a minivan with my scrap supplies but only have a little backpack for my clothes for the weekend.

I know I can't take all of my paper this year. It's surprisingly mulitplied in the last year and I'd need a U-haul to get it there.

thehappyscrapper8
Veteran
thehappyscrapper8
In response to pugs223

One day I hope to be like you Henri Jean until then I am stuck taking a bunch of stuff to a crop, LOL. What I have actually started doing was bringing my pictures and my paper and getting them on the page and when I get home I finish the pages. This way has been working for me lately.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to thehappyscrapper8

That works for a lot of people Beth. I've done that on occassion when I needed a little more done to a page than I could do there.

The more prepared I am, the more I enjoy the crop.

I hear so many women say they will never go to another crop. They say they got nothing done so they won't go again.

My next crop is Sept 21st I think. Can't wait. Then a two day-crop the following weekend!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I go on 2 or 3 weekend crops a year. I certainly don't take my whole room with me, but I do overpack ... I've decided that's part of the fun

I do best when I spend the weekend scrapping a particular event (my son's Bar Mitzvah, a vacation) because then I can bring only what I need for those pics (i.e. no need to bring winter papers if I'm scrapping a summer vacation)

I love punches, so I bring a ton of those, and then the embellishments I think I will need for the pics I've brought. I do believe it is essential to at least go through your photo first and decide WHAT you are going to scrap ... otherwise, you can spend the whole weekend just going through your pictures.

Though I greatly admire how prepared Henri is for these weekends, it isn't the way I scrap, and I'm ok bringing too much stuff ...

(by the way, no matter how much I bring, there are always a number of people who bring much, much more than I do)

one more thing ... bring more photos than you think you will get through ... the last thing you want is to run out of pictures to scrap

have fun

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

So true - I've seen people run out of things to scrap and be completely caught up. I think most only do that once.

My husband thinks I take a lot but what I take is someone modest to most. I just don't like packing and unpacking or lugging it in and out.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping

i just got back from a 4 day crop and i took everything. well, almost. it was an opportunity to organize my things that i haven't touched in quite a while.. That said... i really hurt my back carrying it all in. I was given an extra table for my overflow. Im not organized enough to do kits before I go. But, i would certainly recommend cutting your titles and embellishments in advance.

Edited by crazyaboutscrapping on 09-07-12 09:35 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

I've only been to one all-day crop (last weekend ) and it was really good but I didn't bring much (2 small bags) and I didn't have enough. I did bring my notebook with me though, and I made a page of notes on what to prepare/bring next month, including page kits. Hopefully I'll get better.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I have a shower tote with tools in it...you know the kind they sell to college kids for their dorm bathrooms? Pens & markers, pencils, a good white eraser, scissors,tweezers, various glue products, and a decent, reasonable collection of punches. Ok, maybe more than a reasonable amount of punches, so sue me, I like them. The tote is great b'cause its lite n has a handle, (at least before I cram it full! Ha!).

Then I have several Iris 12 x 12 boxes w/cardstock n paper, plus a box w/paper scraps (very, very handy!). The last Iris box has LO's in progress to finish, plus room to safely store newly finished LO's in. I try to keep the # of Iris boxes to 4 or 5 to ease in lugging it all in. These go in totes along with my craft mat and large cutting tools.

Finally I have my photo box, and since I scrap chronologically this is extremely easy to grab n go, and have plenty to work on.

I am not as organized as Henri, but I do have a general idea of what dates/topics I am scrapping n what papers/embellies I would like to use. I keep them in Sterilite stacking boxes at home, & sometimes just grab a selection & shove it in whatever bag has room. I am usually a huge overpacker so this gives me plenty of options, really!, and keeps it light. Sort of.

Believe me, bringing less paper actually insures that you USE your stash. If you know you want a certain design paper for a pic, make sure to include it in your packing! Or you will get creative and stash-bust!! I have done some of my best baby LO's this way, forced to use papers that are not baby blues and duckies!

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 09-08-12 04:55 AM
In response to Juansmom

I've found it really helps if you stick with a theme during crops. For instance, at one I scrapped all my Christmas pics and at another I worked on my wedding album. It really cut down on the amount of stuff I had to bring because I knew I wouldn't be scrapping little boy pics. I also skip bringing things like stickles and embossing powder - that's just too messy for a crop and there's nowhere for things to dry.

I have an all-weekend crop coming up at the end of the month and I've got to get cracking on what to bring!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to J-M

thanks for all the great ideas. i guess its worth it to put a little time in before the crop to organize and prep.
i still may overpack a litte bit, though, just because i can't go "cold turkey"

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

oh and henri!! i'm on the lookout for that craft wagon.....fabulous!!! at the very least, it would help me make one (or three ) trips instead of 10!!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

I love your process of page kits!!! I haven't been to a scrapbook retreat ever!! But I do haul my stuff to the family lake house and it's a challenge making sure I have what I need and most of the time I don't!!! So I'm going to do this the next time I'm go!! Thanks for sharing (:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to res19s2d

It works for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely makes the crop more enjoyable for me.

Kim - the wagon so many of us use is called a garden wagon and silly stores put them in the garden section most of the time! Walmart has them and the best price I found on them was at Sam's Club. But they are about $56.00 now - saw them last week. But I got them mine when they went on sale for $49.99.

They fold up to the size almost of an umbrella - all you do is pull a button up that is on the bottom of the wagon - takes about 3 seconds!

To me it is easier to have supplies in the wagon in those plastic 12 x 12 totes with handles and other large containers so you can load and unload them in the car easily. Much easier than having the wagon full of loose stuff.

Mine stays packed for crops. I have duplicate cutter, scissors, ATG and other things - and when my pages are worked into kits they go into the wagon. If someone tells me about a swap I just have to shower, change my clothes and grab my wagon by the handle. Its always packed and ready.

When I was working a page yesterday that needed a particular punch, I packed the punch so every thing I need for every page I'm working on is already in there. It stays ready to go!

I keep about 6 or 8 extra ATG tape rolls in my biggest container in my wagon too and extra glue pens and even extra rotary blades for my cutter.

And definitely - several extra pairs of cheap WalMart reading glasses!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I just got back from a 12 hour crop. Most of the pages I completed were premade and had only little things to add. Titles were cut, pics were printed, and most of the paper was in place. I just added cropped pictures and bling. I finished 38 pages. (I do 2 pagers and two of each page - 2 boys). I also brought a bunch of punches to add some borders. Feeling pretty good right now.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

You go to crops like I do! I love it!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to 950nancy

Garden wagon....got it!! $49.99 is a great price, but even $56 isn't so bad, especially since it will be so useful. I have an all day crop at the end of this month, so I'd really like to have it before then.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
I just got back from a 12 hour crop. Most of the pages I completed were premade and had only little things to add. Titles were cut, pics were printed, and most of the paper was in place. I just added cropped pictures and bling. I finished 38 pages. (I do 2 pagers and two of each page - 2 boys). I also brought a bunch of punches to add some borders. Feeling pretty good right now.

WOW!!! B R A V O !!! I'm really going to make an effort to organize myself better for crops.

I really spend sooo much time picking out which pics I want to work with, what style I want to do the layout in, which papers to use, what type of embellies, to stamp or not to stamp, punch, cut etc etc etc. I honestly feel I accomplish something if I walk out of a 6 hour crop with a 2 page layout TOTALLY completed

Its all good, though. I'm still enjoying the process and the company

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Kim222

Kim, when I get caught up (11-12 years behind), I am going to TAKE MY TIME. For now, I am speed cropping. I am such a planner that it works for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 950nancy

My problem is that if I'm not prepared I have to focus and concentrate and I feel like I miss the conversation and fun around me becuase I'm trying to figure out what to do.

If I make page kits - then I don't have to concentrate on my scrapping so much and can enjoy the event more.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to 950nancy

Have lots and lots of fun!!!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to 950nancy

That is wonderful to be able to go to crops. I have never been to any. I dont know of any around where I am from.***** Henri Jean **** you seems very organized and I love that little wagon. It is awesome that you have all that planned in advance. Yall all have a great crop
kajunkat Mary

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to kajunkat

I have two big tool boxes that I pack in along with my jumbo clip it up and my two big 31 bags that hold my cricut and big shot stuff.

I also have one paper taker and my 6 x6 paper taker along ith my one tote that has trimmer, atg, pop dots and a few other tools.

ladyofaries
Veteran
ladyofaries
In response to Kim222

Oh I wish I could be more productive at crops. we go twice a year to a 3 day crop and every time on the way home I say I am going to be more prepared next time....but seems like the time slips away and I end up taking a van full of stuff! Going in Nov. and have nothing ready AGAIN.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ladyofaries

You have plenty of time before November! I have two weeks befofre my next crop - a week and a half really, and am going to try to get 20 more pages together. Then I have another week until the next crop and since it is just one day I should be able to get another 20 pages of kits made.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

I need to make kits, I need to make kits, I need to make kits. I have 7.5 weeks until my weekend get away.

I was working on some cards yesterday and came to the realization that I have way too much paper and there is no way I can pack even half of it to take with me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

When I got to the point that it would take a moving van to get me to a crop - that is when I started to figure out what I actually needed.

And the only way to know what I actually need is to sort it and organize first.

CKohn
CKohn 
Resident
CKohn
  • CKohn on 09-17-12 08:33 AM

I have found that when i take the time to put together a project list. I am much more productive. I have 1 day crop coming up in Oct and a weekend in November. I am starting my lists of items to bring and the projects to work on. I am going to try to write it up in Evernote so i can easily edit it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CKohn

I have a crop for 2 days this weekend! I'm still making page kits to take so they take from 10 minutes to aboutg 45 mintues or an hour to complete. That way I know I will be productive!

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to kajunkat

• kajunkat Said:
That is wonderful to be able to go to crops. I have never been to any. I dont know of any around where I am from.***** Henri Jean **** you seems very organized and I love that little wagon. It is awesome that you have all that planned in advance. Yall all have a great crop
kajunkat Mary

I saw your profile and I'm not sure what part of Louisiana you're in but there is a weekend crop down in Mandeville. I've never been to it but I have a friend down there and I was thinking about using the crop as an excuse to go visit.

Here's the link for it: http://www.scrapfestproductions.com/ScrapFest%21/Home.h...

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to Monique_McCoy

I make page kits with the pattern papers, pictures and card stock (I put them in cropper hopper sleeves, but 12x12 Ziplocks work too). I dont choose embellies until I am at the actual crop. I dont take everything and figure if I want to add it, I can when I get home. I do take my Cricut and my carts with me...I never know what title I will want on there or what cut I may need once the page starts to come together. I have found if I choose my PP before hand, I dont have to take my huge tote that is full of it. I do take extra CS in the basic colors...white, black, kraft, red. I have a craft wagon like Henri's (thanks to that exact picture ) and it really helps cut down on trips!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to m.perk

I love my craft wagon!

I do pick my embellies before I go though - then I know how to space them.

A lot of ladies take their Cricuts but I just don't want to take mine. I make my titles before the crop.

Then with drywall tape (nothing else works that I know of) I carefull lift the letters without changing the position while the cardstock or paper is still on the mat. That way if one goes wonky and gets out of line, I can put it back in the opening the letter was cut from and lift it again.

When I lift them on drywall tape like they were cut I get the same perfect spacing and even line they had on the mat and cardstock. It is perfect.

I put that on a piece of copy paper or notebook paper and put it with the rest of the things for that page.

When I get to the crop, I peel the drywall tape off the copy paper and the letters are still perfectly straight and perfectly spaced.

I glue the letters with my Zigpen put you could us any glue, and since the drywall tape is so loosely woven, I can see where I want to put the letters. I put down a ruler so I don't have my line of letters running up or down and then just press the letters on. I can put a title down in under 2 minutes!

That helps me a lot at crops - having my titles ready.

Latelyl I've been using sticker letters - I have so many I want to use some and I do that at the crops, I do take those.

And occasionally I use my Slice for letters if I don't have the letters I want on my Cricut. I actually have more letter selection for my Slice and it stays in my crop wagon.

I'm ready to go this weekend! Its been a long time!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

About thte wagon - I'm not thrilled with the steering mechanism on it - when you pull it I find it veers off one way or another. My girlfriend had the same problem.

WE get behind the wagons and push and still hold the handle to steer. Makes the wagons easier for us to control.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

This is all great information !! I've only been to a couple of crops. I just registered for a big one in November. I hope to use everything I just read here to get ready.

i do have the rolling suitcase by MIMI. I LOVE the wagon, think I need one of those.

How do you set up your space at the crop? Do you take paper trays, sit stuff on the floor, under table, where ?

Any tips would be great, thank you !

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
I need to make kits, I need to make kits, I need to make kits. I have 7.5 weeks until my weekend get away.

I was working on some cards yesterday and came to the realization that I have way too much paper and there is no way I can pack even half of it to take with me.

What you said!!

Thats my plan for this weekend. To put together stuff for two 1 day crops and my crop weekend.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Keri-

I have a CIS XXL and a P3, both of which I take and work out of. Other stuff gets put up on my table, but it depends on how much room I have. Some crops I've had as few as 3 feet, our weekend getaway crop we'll have EIGHT FEET PER PERSON!! (Can you tell I'm excited?!?!?!)

Inky painty stuff goes on or under the table until needed ( and its ALWAYS needed! )

The more table space you have, the more underneath space you have to store stuff.

I have a rolling tote that I fill with an assortment of all kinds of stuff like embellies, chipboard, fabric, felt, ribbon etc. I leave that in the car and just run out to get what I need as I'm working. I also usually bring my whole basket of Thickers and chippy alphas and leave those in the car too. Oh and a tool box filled with metal trinkets usually comes in. Depends on space.

OK-so basically I bring 2 totes inside and my car becomes my LSS

Edited by Kim222 on 09-21-12 11:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Did I not JUST finish saying that I was going to put kits together for my crops?!?!?!?

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
  • pugs223 Said:

What you said!!

Thats my plan for this weekend. To put together stuff for two 1 day crops and my crop weekend.

I'm hoping I get around to doing that this weekend too. I have a LO and a card to finish for a challenge and then get to making kits.

Only 5.5 weeks until my retreat!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

I take my wagon and put it behind my chair - it almost always fits.

ON the table I put my trimmer and my little caddy with the Cutterbee scissors and erasor and xyron x and the other little things. Also, My ATG goes on the table.

My crop wagon has 2 of the 12 x 12 holders with handles. ONe has my cropodile, brads and eyelets. The other has my assortment of letter sticker. On the same side of the wagon is a gig file folder thing fomr pages ready to scrap. I pull out one folder and completely those then put that folder in back and go to the next foldre.

There is a big storage thing on the other side. My Slice goes in that, and I transport my ATG and little tools caddy in it. ALso misc. things I need. For the next crop I need my "Thank You" punch so it is in there.

THen I work out of my wagon. I put the top on the large bin that most things go in and and the lid gives me a flat surface. I put my complete pages in order on the flat surface to store them, or I put them back in the projects file if they are finished.

If I don't have space for my tools caddy, then I put it on top of the lid to my big bin in the wagon.

I don't have to put anything on the floor but I don't take embelliss or chipboard or extra papers or cardstock, nothing I don't need.

One exception - I take at least 2 packages of black cardstock for mats becuase I really go through the black cardstock.

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to Kim222

I am so glad you asked this question! The responses are awesome. I actually stopped going to crops because I was paying the consultant to sit in her studio and gather ideas and decide on pictures!!! Then I would miss the conversation part of the night (or spent too much time conversing). My sister, nephew's wife, grand nieces and I are planning a scrapbooking weekend when the guys are deer hunting! I will take the advice of these wonderful scrappers and be prepared (I have til November to get ready!)

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to mj scrappin'

Last weekend when I went to my crop, I was SOOO organized, just like I said on page one of this post...except I went to reach for a punch...AND THEY WEREN'T THERE!! I forgot to pack my punches!!! Ooops! Fortunately, the pages looked fine without a punched border or strip, and someone had a cricut there I could borrow for a bit of interesting!!! Won't forget those again!!

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Juansmom

Hmmmmmm. This wagon also comes in blue.

Tomorrow I am going to make page kits. Thanks for all the ideas on how to set up!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 4tgrfans

I've never seen the wagon in blue. Cool.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to 4tgrfans

Kerri when I set up at a crop I have a folding shelve that I set my expression on and then my bigshot sets under it. My tooldbox holds my inks and embossing items and stickles that kind of stuff and sits beside the table. I set my clip it up on my big grab and go everything else is either on the table or under the table. By copics are almostly always on the table and my ribbon I put in the 31 bag that my cricut came our of and it hands on the back on my tool box.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Sneezy1956

Wow...you guys all wear me out just reading about everything you take with you. I'm glad you all enjoy going to crops...obviously a lot of people do. I don't think I'd have the energy to load/unload/reload/put everything away, even if crops did sound good to me~ ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I love crops but I'm with you Judy. don't want to drag one thing in or out that I don't need.

The girlfriend I crop with brings everything and her stuff fills the car. I've seen her load her crop wagon twice and still make another trip to the for stuff.

I don't want to lug anything around that I don't absolute need. I'm way to lazy for that!

But the ones who bring everything really have a ball at the crops but I also don't like putting it away when I get home.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Tried.
Failed.

I really really tried to put together page kits for my upcoming crops, but I just couldn't figure out what I'll want when I start putting the page together as far as embellies.

So, I guess its back to packing all the "what if" stuff.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Tried.
Failed.

I really really tried to put together page kits for my upcoming crops, but I just couldn't figure out what I'll want when I start putting the page together as far as embellies.

So, I guess its back to packing all the "what if" stuff.

No don't give up. I need inspiration.

However I will probably be the same. I do plan on taking my embellie tote, but I want to avoid bringing all of my paper so I don't have to rent a U-Haul.

My problem is my paper selection goes with my mood sometimes. So if I pull out a kit and don't "feel it" I may regret not bringing my paper.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to pugs223

I have to say I've learned SO much from Henri! She is my scrapbooking idol. (Thanks, Henri) Because of her, I learned to make kits, bought one of the little red wagons, and now own a roll of dry wall tape. My organization skills have doubled (and I've always considered myself pretty CDO! Oh yeh, that's OCD, but I alphabetized the letters so they're right). I love this site and all the ideas I've gained from it. I never mind seeing a question that's been asked before because I know there's going to be someone out there giving me a new point of view. Keep 'em coming!

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to pugs223

I try to stick to a theme I'm working on. It's usually my boys but I still have specific paper picked out for the various pages I'll do. My biggest downfall is cardstock. I suppose I could find coordinating colors for all my patterned paper but that just takes some of the fun out of it. So I usually cart around my cardstock.
That and I always bring stuff for cards. If I happen to run out of inspiration or photos, I can always make a few cards to stretch the noggin.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to fknapoleon

I made kits this afternoon. Not necessarily by the page, but by theme. I made my son a nice book to have at his graduation reception (2010) and never scrapped the actual graduation or reception. I put photos, cardstock in school colors, graduation stickers, etc in a folder. I also made folders for Christmas, daughter's first car, etc. When the time comes, I'll pack misc embellishments, basic cardstock & supplies, etc. I can make several pages from each theme.

I'll think about organization on & around the table. They're 8 foot tables with 2 people at each. Love the ides....keep them coming!

Oh, and I now own a wagon too.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 4tgrfans

Enjoy your wagon! The steering is difficult for me (and most of my friends who own them) so we find it much easier to get behind them and push while holding the handle over the top - then it goes right where you want it to!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thanks for the compleiments Darla - very sweet and made me feel good.

fishdc
fishdc 
Veteran
fishdc
In response to Kim222

It is hard not to bring too much but a lot of extra work for yourself if you do. Try to pick a certain group of pictures you want to scrap. Organize the embellishments you will use, tools, paper, embellies and don't forget lots of running tape. Keep in mind most crops have vendors so if you need something you did forget, you can always buy it. Have fun, you should get a lot done, but not as much as you think you will so try to not bring everything.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to fishdc

Kim......I just checked out the CIS and P3. Very cool. I think they're similar to the MIMI tote I have.

I am going to work on cricut titles tonight. pretty sure I've got drywall tape downstairs.

In 2 weeks, my daughter & I are going to the CK convention in Kansas City. I got an email today with a class list. i'll have to pack for that first (much lighter).

I think it's crazy how excited this all makes me. I love new ideas. thanks everyone !

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
Keri-

I have a CIS XXL and a P3

I learned about these way too late. I would love a CIS P3, but they are discontinued and go for way too much on evilbay.

Edited by pugs223 on 09-24-12 04:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 4tgrfans

Missed my weekend crop this past weekend but had to be in Tampa where my son was in the hospital.

Will just have more to do at the next crop.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy

• Henri Jean Said:
Missed my weekend crop this past weekend but had to be in Tampa where my son was in the hospital.

Will just have more to do at the next crop.

hope your son is okay.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Monique_McCoy

He was in for tests for a week. All good, although a difficult week for all of us. He is a seizure patient and they took away his meds for a week to induce seizures so they could map where they were coming from.

He had a small seizure on Sunday but yesterday he had an awful grand mal - he acutally started turning blue and couldn't breathe - they had to give him oxygen.

But they got the results they wanted and through a surgical procedure (scarry, it is brain surgery), they can remove a few bad cells and expect him to be seizure-free. That is why he was in the hospital this week - to see if he is a viable candidate and it has been confirmed.

Lots more tests to do to make sure where they are operating (in front of his left ear) but at least htey know he can be cured with surgery.

The worst is over except for the surgery itself and he will only be in the hospital a couple days for that.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

pulling my wagon around the house....

Henri:I hope your son is doing better.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to 4tgrfans

I am getting myself psyched up for putting page kits together this weekend.

DH is working, DS has a friend coming over and I'm hoping to get chores/canning done Saturday morning so I have all Sat. evening/night to play in my room.

Must remember to pick up Monster Irish Cream coffee beverage...I'll be up all night

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to Kim222

My BF and I go to 3 scrap weekends per year. And her darling husband decided earlier this year we 'neded' to take his van , instead of the usual 4WD wagon as we just can't take enough.. We start organising kits ect months in advance but you still need ribbons, paints, inks and sprays ect ect ect . It all adds up and theres always something we did'nt take... And there's always lots we don't use but we have an absolute ball....

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to 4tgrfans

Ok I'm leaving for a crop in the morning and promised to take a picture for my friend at work.. Right now there is not room in my little malibu for one more thing it's going to be close to get my purse in it.

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans
In response to Sneezy1956

I can just see that ! love it !

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to 4tgrfans

Wow Henri--I hope all goes well with your son!! How scary!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

OK--Peg, I'm very sorry. I truly did try. I guess I'm just not a page kit person. Please use my failure as your motivation to get it done. You can do it!!

I can't

I'm going to a 10 hour crop tomorrow and I've got 7 bags and 2 accordian style 12x12 paper takers.

BUUUUUUUUUT!!! Last Sunday, my absolutely wonderfully thoughtful husband walked in the door with a NEW WAGON!!!!!!!!!

It will get a workout tomorrow and be a preview for my weekend scrap get away next month!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Kim222

I'm going to work in my craft room all weekend, hopefully. If I can keep myself from scrappy shopping.
I have a quilt to get finished, and I give good job cards out at work. I really need more. I made a couple of bday cards on my lunch, but needed to get them in mail. Sometimes I like me better when I have to hurry.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

Congratulations on the new wagon Kim - I love mine!

If it is the same wagon the steering is very funky, it doens't always go the way you are pulling it. One of my girlfriends has one like it and she discovered you can get behind it and steer it with the handle and it stays on course better. doesn't matter to me - I use it for eveyr crop! And at home it holds my supplies for the next crop.

If I need something to work on here, I work out of the wagon and put it back.

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006

I was verrrryyyy bad yesterdayand today! I bought a cuttlebug v2 and a bunch of nestables. When I told the husband, only comment he made was that he hoped I remembered to buy the jersey he wanted! But of course...! I havent bought new tools for a year so I am looking forward to new stuff! Oh and i also bought the ribbon cutter!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Debbie2006

Great - have fun with it!

I saw a new way to store the nesties on utube (someone posted it here and I hate that I don't remember who) - anyway I spent the morning organizing them.

I've had my Big Shot for about 3 or 4 months and I had 12 sets of Nesties. I have to stop!

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

I put a Big shot on my Christmas list. I like the stamp/die cut combo and think I want to try some embossing folders.

I hope to pack tomorrow for our classes next weekend at the Creating Keepsakes convention. I'm still adding some stuff to the page kits for November.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Sizzix is the Deal of the Day today. That's bad...for the wallet

I keep looking at the die with the row of houses that TH has. I really like it, but wonder how often I'd use it, but I can think of several ways...so I'm sure I'll find a way to justify buying it...along with the Halloween-looking fence and a few others. (I know they all have names, but don't recall what they are off-hand.)

Too bad they don't have a Daily Deal of buying extra scrappy time. THAT would be a big seller!~Judy

Debbie2006
Resident
Debbie2006

Henri thx for the info about youtube. I always like new ideas for storage!

mizzblue
Guru
mizzblue

I usually only try to bring 2 totes: One carries inks, chalks, scissors (2 pair),punches (limited to 5), 2 magazines, cutter and bag of ribbons, cardstock and patterned paper (but not much, maybe 50 sheets), small container of photos, ..the other tote is strictly for page kits that I put together myself (with photos)-I TRY to make at least 12 but it all depends on how long the crop is. I may tuck in a kit or two that I purchased in case I want to work on something else...I put kits in those cropper hopper holder thingees...or the ones from Hobby Lobby

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to mizzblue

It is 7:30pm and I am FINALLY in my scrap room. I forgot to get an energy drink though and after a full day of canning, I'm not sure how much I'm going to get accomplished.

Going to work on cleaning up the mess from my last batch of cards, organize and refresh my memory with what I have. I'll start page kits tomorrow I think

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

I haveen't canned anything in years and I used to enjoy it. Mostly put up cinnamon apples and peach and apple pie filling, occasionally jams or jellys.

My sister-in-law and I used to sit all evening sometimes just peeling fruit.

My mother makes strawberry preserves still but they are quick and easy and they are made with figs and strawberry gelatin put don't tell my brothers - or anyone else in the family. They all think they are eating strawberry preserves!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Hahaha Henri, that is funny that your mom changed the preserves.

This season, I have canned 250+ quarts of different pickles,20 quarts of beans, 15 quarts of elderberry syrup, 16 pints if cream of mushroom soup, pickle relish, and also made over 30 meals for the freezer and some for my parents ad well.

Thank goodness my parents made the tomato juice, made freezer corn and canned the potatoes this year. My brother made the salsa.

Today I helped my parents make a batch of spaghetti sauce and some stewed tomatoes. Then I came home and made raspberry jalapeño jam and jalapeño relish.

I have to play in my scrap room now....I'm all out of jars.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Henri, are you still in Florida? When are you leaving? I'm going back to stay with my DD in Tampa for a week soon. I've invited a friend of mine to go with me. If she doesnt go and I get brave enough to go on a roadtrip with my SILs car, I may have to make my way to Ocala and have lunch of something.

My SIL is going to NYC for a week, so it will be just us girls. It will be fun.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-29-12 08:50 PM
In response to SherylEb

So I've been following this thread, and I tried... REALLY tried to make some page kits. My problem is that once I decide which papers and everything I'm going to use and how I want the pictures to be arranged, I don't want to wait to go to a crop! I want to glue it down now and finish it up. It always seems like the choosing and arranging takes me the longest, but once I decide how it will be, it only takes me about 10 minutes to glue it all down, and I figure, why wait?

I really do want to go to a crop because I have more creative energy when I'm around other people. But at the same time, I love having all my stuff around me and I couldn't possibly pack it all up to take with me. I just have too much stuff and I never really know what all I will need until it's done. Half the time, even when I think it's done, I still go back and add something. :P

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Vae

Peg, when on earth did you have time to do all that canning? Not to mention the gardening and harvesting that goes along with it! My hat's off to you, because I know first hand how hard and time consuming that all is!! But you will be eating all winter!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

Nothing is as good as the stuff you can yourself Peg! But boy, it is a lot of work! My mother and sister-in-law still put up a little bit but not much anymore.

Sheryl, swing by and see me! We are about 5 minutes from the interstate (I-75). If you get off the interstate at our exit within 2 blocks is a Red Lobster (but not a good one - some are decent but I don't like this one), an Olive Garden, Ruby TUesday, Applebee's and a few more blocks to Sonny's. There are at least a dozen other restaurants near the interstate. There is a Chili's and another Mexican restaurant and, can't think of the name and a Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel. There is a Cody's Roadhouse - so stop whether you are along or with your friend - doesn't matter.

Its hard for me not to finish the layouts too Jaravae and most take 10-15 minutes to finish but if I have 3 or 4 of them, that's an easy hour. If I have 20 of them - that 4 or 5 hours I've saved at home. And I get to enjoy the crops without hauling so much stuff!

One big advantage I find is that when I reaarange them, since I haven't seen them in a while I'm looking at them witih a fresh eye and I see changes or things to add. It gives me one final time to see them to decide if I want to do anything different. One time I ran into the store and bought different paper - when I looked at it there I didn't like theh paper I had chosen to go with it.

I've got myself into a mindset of, "Oh boy - its ready to mat and glue and possibly make letters if I'm' using my Slice - now I get to start a new one" and I put it away and get excited over the next one. By then I'm tired of the one I'm working on.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
Peg, when on earth did you have time to do all that canning? Not to mention the gardening and harvesting that goes along with it! My hat's off to you, because I know first hand how hard and time consuming that all is!! But you will be eating all winter!!

It is a lot of work but so worth it in the end. Where do I find the time? It's called living a boring life.

DH does a lot of the gardening. We plant together and try to keep it up together but he gets done with work much earlier so that's a good job for him.

Then you have to be willing to have a few weeks of only being able to surface clean and keep up with the laundry.

But the way I look at it is that I have at least $800 of pickles in the pantry that maybe cost $50 to make (not including jars which have been in the family for years) AND they taste soooooo much better than store bought (IMO)

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

• Henri Jean Said:

One big advantage I find is that when I reaarange them, since I haven't seen them in a while I'm looking at them witih a fresh eye and I see changes or things to add. It gives me one final time to see them to decide if I want to do anything different. One time I ran into the store and bought different paper - when I looked at it there I didn't like theh paper I had chosen to go with it.

See this is the problem I run into...that I won't like the paper that I picked because I'm in a different mood or just don't like it. Then what do I do when my paper stash is 2.5 hours away and I'm at a Bed & Breakfast in the middle of nowhere?

But I have to do it. There is no way I can bring all of my paper. I have one kit almost assembled, just need to put a few other sheets of CS in there.

I think what I am going to do is assemble kits with pp, cs and embellishments that I had in mind for those pics. Then I'm going to pack some extra CS and just a couple (couple is a relative terms lol) of my favorite PP stacks in case I change my mind about the paper I picked. I'm already planning on bringing my embellishment tote so I'm covered there.

Less than 5 weeks!!!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

That sounds like so much fun Peg.

I like the crops where you can buy stuff - but a lot of the weekend ones don't have that option. Sometimes I will pack two or three different papers for a layout if I can't quite decide and then narrow it down when I start working on it.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Yes, it is a blast! However, it will be our last year at this particular retreat.

Next year, we will be going to the opposite end of the state, but it will be in a major city, close to scrappy shops. That will be fun too.

Although, being locked away at a bed & breakfast in the middle of nowhere, lets one get a lot of scrapping done.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:

But the way I look at it is that I have at least $800 of pickles in the pantry that maybe cost $50 to make (not including jars which have been in the family for years) AND they taste soooooo much better than store bought (IMO)

WoW!! Thats sounds like a LOT of work Peg!! Good for you!!

I LOOOVE pickles!! There is a pickle guy that has a booth at most of the craft fairs and he must have 20 different flavors of pickles. They are SOOOOO good and soooo much better than the store bought variety....even though I buy and eat those all the time, too!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

So I went to a 10 hour crop this weekend (with my NEW WAGON!!) and guess how many pages I scrapped?!?!? If you guessed ZERO, you win!!

However, I did get 5 pages done in my art journal!! I had soooo much fun playing with paints and inks and sprays and stamps and stencils and embossing powders and UTEE and brushes and sponges and and and

Of course I didn't need MORE than half of what I brought and I packed the entire back of my little SUV (with the rear seats down!).

Here's the challenge now.....I have to pack myself and my friend into my car with scrap stuff AND incidentals (like clothes!) for our weekend get away crop in 3 weeks. I tried to tell her we may need to take 2 cars but she was having none of that. I even hinted that we could strap her to the roof rack, but that didn't go over well either

There will be 3 or 4 vendors there, but no scrappy stores around, so you all understand my dilema?!

How does a page kit challenged scrapper pack for 3 days and 2 nights of scrapping AND still have leave room for her friends stuff too?!

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Kim222

Rent a u-haul?

Only kidding! I go to crops with a friend and we have her Jeep Cherokee filled to the roof but it is abouty 75% her stuff. But if I need anything she lends it to me.

Rather than both of us take our Cricuts and our Big Shots and other larger items she likes to take hers so I just take a new mat in case I want to use her Cricut.

Its really different if there isn't any place to buy stuff.

I dont' know what to tell you about clothes becuase I've never been to an overnight crop. However I'd cut back on clothes to have more room for scrap supplies!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

What Henri said - from renting a u-haul to pack lightly on clothes so you have more room for supplies.

I am with you on being page kit challenged. I'm trying, I'm really, really trying. Some pics have been easier to pick for, others I'm setting aside and hoping I'm in the mood for picking papers for those in the next couple of weeks.

Last year, we took a mini-van with three people. Luckily, one of the girls didn't have much. I think my stuff took up two thirds of the back (with 3rd row of seats out), probably more, who's keeping track?

All I have for clothes is one small backpack. Of course, we don't go anywhere during this retreat so I don't need a lot of clothes.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to pugs223

Huh,....how much can one of those little bitty attach to your car u-haul thingys be?!?!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

We won't be going anywhere other than the scrap room, either, so clothes will be easy.

There will be 4 vendors there, but what if they don't have the exact ________ I need?! And it will be even worse if I know I have that ______ at home!

I think I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit a lot of stuff in the smallest amount of room possible. Someone should give a class in creative packing.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-02-12 06:17 AM
In response to Kim222

I think someone else mentioned sticking to one theme... do you have a whole bunch of things that are related that you can work on? Like all holidays or all school pics or all... I dunno? I love wine, and so I go on winery tours and things like that as often as I can. So I have probably at least two boxes full of wine-related photos, and another two IRIS boxes full of winery papers and embellies. I could probably just take those and a ton of cardstock and be good for 3 days. If you could narrow it down to a theme, or even a season, that might help. Maybe if you're doing a lot of summer pics you could bring papers that are summer-ish?

I've never been to a crop so I'm no expert. I wish you luck! You could take pics of your car all loaded/scrap area when you get there and do some fun layouts about the experience later

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
We won't be going anywhere other than the scrap room, either, so clothes will be easy.

There will be 4 vendors there, but what if they don't have the exact ________ I need?! And it will be even worse if I know I have that ______ at home!

I think I'm just gonna have to figure out how to fit a lot of stuff in the smallest amount of room possible. Someone should give a class in creative packing.

There's two ways to handle that...do as much on the LO as you can and finish when you get home with the perfect item you know you have.

OR

Find something from the vendor that is even better.

As for packing, thankfully, it's just two of you in the vehicle. Does the backseat fold down?

Seriously, last year I took two huge rubbermaid totes of paper, my rolling toolbox, another suitcase of store bought page kits, my cricut E, 3 tote bags of albums, extra pages, and random paper, my rolling tote of embellishments, my file holder thing of chipboard stickers/jolee kind of items, my caboodle, a small backpack of clothes and a few other random items.

I promised myself I would not do that again.

So see what you and your friend could possibly share, and then find the best totes/boxes/bags that will easily stack to utilize every inch of cargo space you have

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

That is a space saving hint that can save space - don't take 2 Cricuts or 2 Big Shots or 2 of any large tools that you can share.

I put the pages I'm working on in the 12 x 12 plastic cases with the handles - I don't take any albums anymore.

Actually I didn't use my Slice at the last 3 crops so this may be the last crop I take it to and in the future leave it at home. I can always make my letters here at home before I go. I do take quite a few sets of sticky alpha letters with me so I can use those if I don't have my Slice.

I have been taking my Cropidile and all the eyelets with me but I think that will start staying home unless I know I'm going to need it for a page.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I've done several all day crops and a few 3 day retreats. I can get a lot done because I only do pages kits that I make. I draw my own sketches and pull my papers and create and cut titles and embellishments. I got 68 pages done at a 3 retreats and they had tons of details and 3 d embellishments and plan everything for the page before I pack it. This has helped me tremendously because I like to socialize and move around pe planning my kits give me the ability to get things done and to have fun.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics