Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Telling others you scrapbook        (Topic#1580725)
res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

I have been around a lot of extended family lately and explaining what I do gets me the oddest expressions!! Anyone else have this issue? You would have thought I grew an extra eye or something

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 09-15-12 06:15 AM
In response to res19s2d

My family doesn't get it either. One of my sister ilaws makes cards but only from kits and only at classes. I told her she can come check out my stash and play with my toys but she said she just isn't that creative. BUT she really is, she makes the most beautiful quilts. (???) the rest of my family thinks it is dumb but love my pages.

I really don't care what they think; I finally found a creative outlet and I find it very relaxing. So it is either scrapbook or Zanax lol.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to res19s2d

I get the blank stare a lot. I've had people say to me "why?" It is so fun when someone who also scrapbooks asks to see your albums; or even a family member who just wants to see what you create. I respect all creative hobbies.

crazyaboutscrapping
Expert
crazyaboutscrapping
In response to Cinj

My grandmother was watching me scrapbook and was very critical that my page only had one picture!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to crazyaboutscrapping

I get that from my mother. She calls it playing with paper. Some don't get it, others do!!! I get called the craftey mom at my kids' school. I am always asked to do craft projects.

Expert
In response to binkiemonstermom

I get the weird look..and..."You do that?" Most people don't get it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to deedee49

I guess I'm lucky....I have one sister that doesn't really say much...she's the rich, snooty type that doesn't understand crafting or homemade gifts or anything (just buy it!)

But, for the most part, my friends and family understand and are really supportive. My mom said she would like to try it if she was younger (she's in her 80s now), my other sister loves looking at my pages and I have 2 friends that also scrapbook, one friend that does other crafts....

I think we do something really special for our families and who cares if they don't get it....when we journal along with the photos, we are recording history....who wouldn't want old notes and letters from their great-grandmother??
On an old episode of PRT they were talking about a museum showing of old letters and scrapbooks....

Alison

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to deedee49

When I first got my Cricut my MIL kept making comments about me playing with my Cricut that made it sound dirty. It got to the point that it took all the fun out of it. She moved out of state and it was month before I could start using again.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to shortmouse

yeah, i have a sister that just doesn't get it. It makes me happy so what

and then there are those who think "oh how cute"

I just walk away.

If my pastor only realized that having a craft night at the church that could be a fund raiser would be a gpod thing.

justowen
Governor
justowen

I think I'm lucky, because my mom was always a crafter..trying anything and everything. My family doesn't understand my excitement over paper, embellishments, etc., but they LOVE the results of what I do.

Tahi
Tahi 
Pro
Tahi
  • Tahi on 09-15-12 09:17 AM
In response to justowen

My entire family gives me grief about it... starting with the hubby lol he complains I spend 2 much oh well... at the beginning I used to get mad and sometimes cry... after 6yrs I just don't care anymore they just have to suck it up

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Tahi

I have sisters and cousins that tried it for a little while and it just wasn't their thing but they all know how much I love it and are pretty supportive. My mother use to brush the subject off any time it was brought up until I made her a beautiful scrapbook of her childhood photos. When she cried over it, I knew she finally got it.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to olleharr

Yeah my family gives me just oh looks on their face. When I show them what items I bought. They know I am kind of the artsy guy. They like the things I create weather it be in a scrapbook or on paper or even on the photoshop. Especially if it has to do with family.
I figure what the problem everyone has to have outlet and do things they like. I bet some of the ladies on here were surpise to see there a few guys out there that like scrapbooking or just starting out in the scrapbooking world?
Justie

My blog http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Edited by justartguy007 on 09-15-12 11:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to justartguy007

My hubby would love it, but he's got to clean up some of his other messes first :>) I call him Mr. Fix-It...even had a sign made for him, so he doesn't have room for scrapping right now...and it's for sure I don't have room to share!

He did buy a needlework kit a while back, but I need to help him figure out the thread colors sometime. I think everyone could benefit by finding something that keeps their hands busy and brings out their creativity. He also used to macrame when that was the craze. In fact, somewhere he has a hammock mostly finished that he was making.

A man used to visit the forums regularly and both he and his wife scrapped. I haven't seen him around for quite a while...and of course there is Kory. With us being able to make our own names, use any avatar, there may be more men on here than we know about...but I'm not one of them ~Judy

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to mrsdriver5

my sister has a cabinet full of scrapbook stuff that just si there. it breaks my heart because i know she won't give any of it to me until sheeady, meanwhile, it goes to waste.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

• shortmouse Said:
When I first got my Cricut my MIL kept making comments about me playing with my Cricut that made it sound dirty. It got to the point that it took all the fun out of it. She moved out of state and it was month before I could start using again.

OMG! You should have told her to either get her mind out of the gutter or join in the fun.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

• mrsdriver5 Said:
... there may be more men on here than we know about...but I'm not one of them ~Judy

Judy, you are a RIOT!!!! LMAO!!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007

That awesome to know... I kinda of always been one not to "stick to the rules" of who plays with what. If there something that peaks my interests I give it a go at it. I have to say when I was a kid I would play with different toys that I found interesting. Like for example the girls wanted me to play house with them. Or, they wanted to play barbies I would enjoy in on the fun. I also thought the barbie toys were fun. For the fact how they make the little dolls like what plastic was made out of it. I remember since I enjoyed just playing with them. I wanted one but my dad put his foot down said no. But then I outgrew the Barbie phase it only lasted short while. But I think I liked how the come up with new ideas for toys. I guess that's the artists that came out in me without knowing it, lol.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Juansmom

My mother does nothing that is crafty and things I'm crazy and never saves anything or puts it out so quit making things for her. But, daughter in law loves what I do and oldest her husband loves to look at the pages

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Some people look at me funny when I tell them I scrap, like I'm smoking crack or something. My Honey doesn't say a word, after all, I am spending my own (Large quantities of) money. My mother, a knitter, and if you know one you know what I mean, helps me fill my stash. She is also part-hoarder, in a semi-clean, not-so-television-worthy way. Ok, she has three bedrooms full of knitting and sewing supplies and books, she does belong on TV. My stash is no where near hers yet. Chris

Edited by Juansmom on 09-15-12 12:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
  • shortmouse Said:

OMG! You should have told her to either get her mind out of the gutter or join in the fun.

If you try to tell my MIL anything she throws her age in your face and says Childish things like you can't tell me what to do or I can say what ever I want. It really got embarrassing when in public. I love the woman but was so glad she decided to move in with our niece. I am happy to say I am able to do my scrapbooking and use my Cricut now with no ill effects.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
My stash is no where near hers yet. Chris

I think your last sentence has the key word.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

My husband is very supportive. Takes me to a lot of scrapbook stores and it is his idea. He loves to look at my new scrapbook toys and loves running his paper currency through my Big Shot with my embossing folders. Yes, they still spend and he thinks they are cool so he always has a wallet full of embossed currency.

My mother - that is a different story. She sees no point in it at all. She says for all the money I spend on scrap stuff I could buy a sewing maching and make clothes that I can wear. I tell her I have plenty of clothes and if I want more clothes I will buy them. I bought 4 nice blouses yesterday. I hate sewing and do not want to sew.

Her next comment is, "If you have that kind of time on your hands you should be vounteering in a soup kitchen. If you spend 40 hours a weeks scrapbooking (I spend more time than that), you could put that 40 hours a week helping others.

She has never even glanced at my books and has no interest. Those of you who share your hobby with your mothers - you don't know how lucky you are.

My mother came across hundreds and hundred of our old family slides from when we were kids. Threw them all away. Can you believe it?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Henri Jean

My husband bought a big speed boat. We added a fifth bedroom to the house so I could keep my scraproom. I also got a second dog so he could get that boat. Life is good. Several of my friends scrap and my relatives seem to like my books, so no worries here.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

If someone made fun of what I did I am sure I would say something pretty unkind back to them. People don't have the right to make fun of what I do.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to 950nancy

Yeah I agree I think people don't have right to make fun of others hobbies period. If people have the money to buy scarpbooking stuff or boats, different kinds of old cameras then let them be happy. We live on the earth for only a short time as it is. My uncle few years back was cleaning out stuff in his house. He came across old film cameras he had. He decided to give them to me instead of throwing them away. I guess he figured I could get some use out of it. Either as a project or collection, lol. A month ago my father came home with some more stuff my Uncle gave him. Then my dad said here he gave me old film camera from the 1960s. He said your Uncle Mel wanted me to give this to you it yours, lol. It a cool camera. Maybe one day I'll display them in my art/studio room. If I ever get one but have to wait until I get a place of my own.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 09-15-12 04:28 PM

If everyone scrapped this world would be a happier place!

My family loves my scrapbooks. I have made them quite a few too. I have 1 sister that scraps. 2 do not but come over and make simple things.

I don't believe I have ever had a negative comment, except about how much money I spend, and that I have a store of my own in my scrap room, yes and aren't I the lucky one!

My granddaughters are 10 and 12 and love to look at their books and also have me make collage pages for their friends. They are cheerleaders and play volleyball. I make collage pages for all the team members.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

• justartguy007 Said:
Then my dad said here he gave me old film camera from the 1960s.

Aargh....(you can tell I watched a Pirates of the Carib. movie last night )...are you just trying to make an old person feel OLD? lol I have cameras from the 50s and sure wish I knew what happened to my grandma's big black box camera. I used to play with it all the time after she got a new-fangled Brownie in the 50s. I've kept some of the flashbulbs and flashcubes that cameras used to take. Oh, and I have a roll of 127 film that still needs developing. I wonder if it's any good? ~Judy

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to res19s2d

I get this sometimes too. Isn't it strange that other crafting/hobbies/arts don't get as much unwanted input as scrapbooking? Makes me love my shirt even better which says: Be nice to me or I'll cut you out of my scrapbooks.

They don't have to like it or understand it...because we do, right.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Oh Judy, you have just given me flashbacks! (no pun intended!)
I remember those cameras with the flash cubes that you had to clip on! They really flashed!

Alison

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to ScrappinMom4

I haven't had anyone give me a bad time about my hobby. My almost-87-year-old mom has no desire to do it, but she loves looking at what I do. When I finish a "chapter" of a book, I take it to her house so she can take her time looking at it, then she shows it to her friends in her sr. park.

My oldest daughter started scrapping after a 2011 Hawaii trip and we work on her album most Thurs. nights. Her oldest daughter wanted to sb several years ago and we spent a fortune one Christmas getting her all set up...then she hardly did anything with it. Finally she sold it to her mom at a discounted price :>) As a college student, she needed the money and the space.

Another granddaughter (age 16) gives me a hard time on my stash, but she's teasing. She has no problem spending hours worth of babysitting money on a big fancy purse...which is dumb to me lol, but we know we're not cookie-cutter people.

Now those two granddaughters are smashbooking. I think that fits them much better.

I don't have much family other than my kids and they all like my hobby because I'm easy to figure out for presents A few church friends enjoy looking at my albums too, but they also enjoy scrapping. Church has a sb class every quarter, but a woman I know who went to it said it turned out to be mostly digi.

Hubby loves my pages and since it's our money I'm spending, that makes life so much easier :>) ~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Oh Judy, you have just given me flashbacks! (no pun intended!)
I remember those cameras with the flash cubes that you had to clip on! They really flashed!
Alison

Make that sometimes they really flashed. Sometimes it was scary wondering if you were going to explode with it...or they fizzled. That got expensive when sometimes out of 4 sides, only 1 or 2 would flash. Then add in the film and the developing...and that's why we don't have many pictures from the "old days". lol

Then there were the little one-flash bulbs that came before the cubes. I got lots of burned fingers by trying to take a hot bulb out too soon. ~Judy

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

My son's gf likes to sb but doesn't have extra money. She gets my extras. She also loves looking through the books. Am thinking about keeping her and releasing the boy!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

I knew I was old when I had to describe what a flash cube was to my fifth graders years ago.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
I knew I was old when I had to describe what a flash cube was to my fifth graders years ago.

Kind of the same thing...my 10 yr. old grandson watched E.T. and was wondering what that funny thing was that E.T. used to call home. His mom told him it was a phone He didn't believe her because it had a cord! Hard to imagine that there are kids now living who have never seen a phone with a cord.

Then you should have seen the look on my daughter-in-law's face when I told her we have two of them...one by my computer and one by hubby's 'puter and we use them all the time. "With cords?" She thought I was kidding! The viewing of our corded phones will be the highlight of their trip when they come down at Christmas ~Judy, the Ancient

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

LOL! My son is 6 yrs. old.
He did not recognize a telephone (the old type you were talking about) or a typewriter or a cassette tape or a floppy drive....I had to explain.
When he was about 3 we were at my Mom's house and he was in the bathroom and couldn't find soap to wash his hands....I told him it's right there! (pointing to the bar of soap on the sink)...he looked very confused! To him, soap came out of a bottle with a pump at the top...he had never seen a bar of soap!

Alison

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
My son's gf likes to sb but doesn't have extra money. She gets my extras. She also loves looking through the books. Am thinking about keeping her and releasing the boy!

Definitely, DUMP THE BOY!!!

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d
In response to 950nancy

My husband and kids are so supportive!! Hubby will even shop with me!! It was just so surprising that my extended family acted as if I was a stranger or weird!!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

On one of the LOs in my gallery I have a photo of my son, dad to the same 10-yr. old boy :>) Jake was looking through the album with my son and asked, "Dad, what is that thing you're doing something with?" Yep, it was a portable electric typewriter. I can't imagine what he'd think if he saw the old Remington (think antique stores) that I learned to type on! And yes, I still have some of the black/red typewriter ribbon that it used. I keep a sample of most everything...and that doesn't take too much space...does it? (And I know most of the young'ens on this forum don't have a clue what I'm talking about :), unless they like to visit antique stores or museums.)

On one of the threads someone was talking about old letters written on very thin paper. Yep, I have that also from the old days when all mail wasn't airmail, and mail, especially from other countries, cost a fortune to send because of the weight, so I have a whole pad of airmail paper. I should scrap something with it sometime! lol~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-15-12 06:25 PM

Rob is really supportive of my habit, but he does have his limits. But he loves looking at the pages I create and is always very sweet to me when I bring home new papers or stacks and insist that he look at every single piece of paper with me. Twice.

He also fixes my stuff that needs fixing (today he re-glued and reinforced 4 of my vertical paper holders that fell apart) and builds me things like a ribbon holder and whatnot.

My kid sister (she's 14, I'm 32) likes to Scrap too and she's much better at it than I am. But she lives very far away.

Otherwise, I tell everyone I know because I'm looking for nearby scrappy friends to hang out with and maybe go to crops with. Most of the time, they say "aww, I wish I could do that. I just don't have the patience" or "I'm not creative enough" which drives me crazy but I think that's their nice way of saying they aren't at all interested and please don't try to talk them into it. LOL

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to res19s2d

• res19s2d Said:
I have been around a lot of extended family lately and explaining what I do gets me the oddest expressions!! Anyone else have this issue? You would have thought I grew an extra eye or something

The best is telling a new boyfriend what my hobby is. SB'ing has a bit of a 'geek' or 'homebody' stigma to it for those that haven't ever done it.

A few of my friends have tried to get into it and i've invited them over but they look at some of my stuff and get intimidated. I have to explain it's mroe than pasting stuff on paper. It really is a work of art with prep work, gathering of supplies, planning and revamping ideas to make something tell a story.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• Henri Jean Said:
My husband is very supportive. Takes me to a lot of scrapbook stores and it is his idea. He loves to look at my new scrapbook toys and loves running his paper currency through my Big Shot with my embossing folders. Yes, they still spend and he thinks they are cool so he always has a wallet full of embossed currency.

That was the one GOOD thing about my ex. He supported my hobby because he loved seeing me record family moments. I miss the shopping sprees for xmas and my bday :/

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:

I remember those!!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

MsDriver it might have been me talking about the letters on thin paper. I now have about 30 that were mostly written by my Great-grandfather who was a minister. They were all to my uncle, his grandson. There are a few from my mother and my grandmother too. The handwriting is something to have, no one has penmanship like that now. I scanned them all including the envelopes. I am giving the originals to my cousin (they are address to her father). I am also making her a CD of the scans.

Its so cool to have things like that, I wish I had more of them. I did not know my great grandfather, he died many years before I was born. But because he was a minister, so many people know who he was. Now I feel like I know him better.

My husband is somewhat supportive of my scrapbooking. His mother does it and his sister used to sell for CM. What has helped is that he is now in to the photography thing and photo editing software. He is taking some on line photoshop classes. He got himself and me each a new Nikon. Has purchased a bunch of toys. He even got me a new back pack that both my laptop and camera can go into it.

So if it's high tech, he is into it. Oh, he got a scanner for his office and a printer that can print 12 inch layouts! It's good he is into that so it compliments the scrapbooking. And he has dropped some serious coins so I guess we are even.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to CrimsonMama

I don't get a hard time from anyone, but no one embraces it either. But I'm ok with that. I pretty much only make them for my DGD's and all 3 of them love to look at their books and they are only 4,4 and 6yrs. So years from now im sure they will love to look at all the books I have done for them.
After my Dad died, I made a 6x6 for my Mom of pictures of them thought the years, and she loved it and showed it to everyone and it sat on the table directly next to her chair.
So even tho she never took interest in my hobby, she did like the gift. Years ago my Dad used to say, " why do you waste so much money printing all these pictures all the time"! And that was before I even scrapped. If he were alive now he'd think I'd gone off the deep end!! My Mom always loved pictures tho.

Nancy, you and are are from Colorado, was wondering if you remember the Frontier Airline commercial over the summer where they talk about scrapbooking- and it wasn't nice.
If I knew how to find it and link it, I would.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

All the animals are auditioning other animals who want to be on the "tail" of the plane - the one says to a bat- got any hobbies? He says, I play tennis, scrapbooking and sucking the blood out of living creatures, the other one says whoa, what was that, he says "sucking the blood out of living creatures" and the other guy says no, before that, the bat says" scrapbooking" and they all say " get this freak outta here".

How rude! Don't ya think!!
I have a friend who is a pilot for Frontier, I was about ready to call her up and tell her what I thought!

We may be weird, but we're not " freaks"!!

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to link the commercial, it's on you tube tho.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:
Nancy, you and are are from Colorado, was wondering if you remember the Frontier Airline commercial over the summer where they talk about scrapbooking- and it wasn't nice.
If I knew how to find it and link it, I would.

Totally off topic...but I'm from Colorado also. Not now, but born and raised there. Born in Denver and mostly lived in Arvada, a northwest suburb. My dad and grandpa were CO natives. We moved to San Diego in '78, but I sure miss MY Rockies. (Nancy...Is Michelle's Ice Cream Parlor still in CO Springs? Soooo good ~Judy

Tenant
In response to Juansmom

People I tell are usually surprised. Maybe because I'm so young? But I get great comments about my pages

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to PaperTulip

Justie - you should put a link to your blog in your siggie so we can find it again.

I'm lucky in that DH is supportive and makes dutifully appreciative noises when I tell him I've finished something and he has to come and have a quick "admire". He also holds the basket for me when I go scrap shopping, and if I so much as pick something up to look at it, he takes it from me and puts it in the basket. I'm the one laughing and putting it back on the shelf again. He's just trying to earn Brownie points though, so he can buy another CD.

My Mum is interested too, although she hasn't seen any of my work yet (since I began in 2008!) MIL and FIL are the ones who got me started when I made them a ruby wedding anniversary album, and they are quite happy browsing through my books.

SIL and BIL on the other hand... They're kind people, but I get this sense of the slight eyebrow raising behind my back. Now their DD is into crafts and comes over to play with my toys, they have to be more tolerant.

NVyankee
Queen
NVyankee
In response to kiyawinn

I don't have any local friends that scrapbook. When people find out I do - - they're always "YOU scrapbook".

The funny thing is they love coming over and having me help with projects. Just this weekend I made items for a friends wedding from my cricut.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NVyankee

This is what you were talking about I think. It is awful! You are right - very insulting.

The scrapbook part is at the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mr3iqBgcG4

Scrapkaty
Mayor
Scrapkaty

My DH supports my "scrapbooking habit". He teases me with ALL the supplies I have accumulated over the years, but loves the end result.
My sister, my scrap buddy, (dollscrap here at sb.com...) scraps with me every chance we can get together..
Our Mom was a very crafty person and would always introduce me to different crafts....I started scrapping just when she was diagnosed with cancer..I know that if she would have survived, she'd be my other scrapping buddy!
My 3 dd's also tease me about all the "Staged" photos taken over the years so I could scrap...
But they too love to look through the albums. One of them even scrapped a little album for her and her then boyfriend.
I got one of my co-workers addicted to scrapping!
A couple of the other co-workers have expressed an interest in trying the craft but have never done any scrapping....yet.....
Other people just kind of give me a blank look and nod..and "oh, how nice".....

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

This video is insulting!!! Their marketing group for frontier needs to be fired!!! They probably lost a lot of business (at least I hope so)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to res19s2d

I hope someone gets fired over it. Okay, too strong. But they need to understand that it is not nice to call scrapbookers freaks.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 09:09 AM
In response to res19s2d

I gotta say, I thought that video was hilarious. Yeah calling the scrapbooker a freak wasn't a great move but on the whole I couldn't stop laughing. Rob came out to see what I was laughing about and I had to play all 3 videos again.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

I loved the entire rest of the commercial - I thought it was so well done. It was like they needed a hobby to stick in that spot and scrapbooking was picked. I think they should have picked an obscure hobby but not scrapbooking - I don't think of us as freaks. To me, bad judgement on that one line. The rest I loved.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to Juansmom

I'm fortunate that my family, extended and In-laws all appreciate my scrapbooking efforts.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to Cricutgirlg

Yes Henri, thank you for finding the link for me.
It is a cute commercial, but why'd they have to bring "us" down!!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Hey RedSqurriel, I'll do that for ya and yes Judy sorry to make you feel old. I am not sure it 1960s video camera. But it a black box that looks like a video camera, lol.

Justie

Here you go RedSquirrel link to my blog.

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I agree - very cute commercial. But the last line was just in a very condensing tone, cleraly making fun of scrapbooking.

Wonder why they chose scrapbooking as the hobby. Maybe one of them has an ex-wife who is a scrapbooker.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-16-12 12:51 PM

• Henri Jean Said:
I agree - very cute commercial. But the last line was just in a very condensing tone, cleraly making fun of scrapbooking.

Wonder why they chose scrapbooking as the hobby. Maybe one of them has an ex-wife who is a scrapbooker.

Oooh, probably something like that. It's too random for them to have just picked it out of the myriad hobbies to choose from.

Unless of course that they just knew that scrapbookers are awesome and we can roll with the punches.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

There has to be a story behind why they picked scrapbooking.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Juansmom

I consider it my personal mission to enlighten those poor, artless, nonenlightened souls about the delightful art of scrapbooking. No, not really, ha, ha, ha! I don't care what people think about my hobbies (yes, more than one), but I'm lucky that everyone whose opinions matter to me either love my scrapbooks, or are supportive of my hobbies even if they're not interested in scrapbooks. I also converted my boyfriend, who is now my MOST supportive fan. I'm now making a surprise scrapbook for his dad with all of his military stuff from Korea. And guess who requested it? My boyfriend ROFL

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to NVyankee

I am one of the lucky ones....my hubby loves what I do and lets me spend what I want on it. He even is excited to show off my LO's when company comes over. My sister scraps along side with me when she has the chance. My best friend scraps as well. My parents enjoy looking at everything and they know that it is cheaper than therapy The only grief I get (outside of family and at crops, unfortunately) is when people find out I dont have kids. Then they think I am nuts for wanting to scrap. But, I consider my niece and nephew my babies, so I scrap them

katiemylady
Diva
katiemylady
In response to Juansmom

I have to explain it to everybody. They think I only do scrapbook pages, it's hard to describe the other crafts I do with paper. They don't get it when I talk about "altering" things or making mini books, or making a jewelry box out of chipboard...they just say, "oooh, ok, that's neat" and that's pretty much the conversation!

Diva
In response to Juansmom

I dont have that issue. My family loves my handmade cards and everyone from time to time will ask me to make a scrapbook for a special ocassion or person. Even my extended family from Puerto Rico!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 06:17 AM
In response to m.perk

• m.perk Said:
I am one of the lucky ones....my hubby loves what I do and lets me spend what I want on it. He even is excited to show off my LO's when company comes over. My sister scraps along side with me when she has the chance. My best friend scraps as well. My parents enjoy looking at everything and they know that it is cheaper than therapy The only grief I get (outside of family and at crops, unfortunately) is when people find out I dont have kids. Then they think I am nuts for wanting to scrap. But, I consider my niece and nephew my babies, so I scrap them

I do get this question a lot... "you don't have kids so what's the point in scrapbooking?" I get this really funny look on my face and then point out to them whatever they do that is just for them. They still don't get it though... "if you don't have kids, who are you going to leave your albums to?"

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 09-17-12 09:54 AM

• justartguy007 Said:
Yeah my family gives me just oh looks on their face. When I show them what items I bought. They know I am kind of the artsy guy. They like the things I create weather it be in a scrapbook or on paper or even on the photoshop. Especially if it has to do with family.
I figure what the problem everyone has to have outlet and do things they like. I bet some of the ladies on here were surpise to see there a few guys out there that like scrapbooking or just starting out in the scrapbooking world?
Justie

My blog http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

I am not surprised. My husband scrapbooks with me when he can and will bid on ebay items if he thinks the price is right. I have had to tell him "I am just watching this item so don't bid on it; I might not want it."

My son also loves to use my cricut machine he is 20 years old. He doesn't use his cuts on a page he just tacks them up in his room on his pin board but he enjoys making them and spending time with me. It is very relaxing for him. He has asperger's so sometimes it is hard to turn the brain off, he will just cut dragons or play with my tim holtz inks to see what comes out.

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Cinj

That really awesome that your husband and son. Enjoys scrapbooking or even making things with the cricut machine. I am thinking of going on amazon today and buying the Silhouette Cameo. I just paid off my credit card. It only 269.99 and it cames with extra blade and matte with some pens to draw stuff with the machine on.

Justie

My blog... http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to Vae

That one things I don't understand why everyone thinks when you get certain age you have to marry and have kids. I don't have kids either and my mom came into my room one day and watch me working on couple of heritage pages. She said you know you could pass your heritage albums on to your cousins. One day and I told her I just might do that if they want them and will take care of them.

Justie

My blog... http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

I sponsored a scrapbook contest at our local festival this weekend. I hadn't thought about explaining scrapbooking until now.

The head lady at the Chamber wrote down all the information for categories, etc but didn't advertise the details because she didn't think it was necessary. Ummm......how will people know what specifically to bring ?! She doesn't scrap so just doesn't get it.....she thinks the only thing you do is stick some pictures and stickers on a page.

During the contest, people walked by and looked at the entries. There were a lot of questions and a few 'remarks'.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to 4tgrfans

This is a very interesting thread. I started scrapping when I was 23 - before marriage, before kids. I wanted to archive my month long trip to Europe (note to others - do NOT have your first major book be the first thing you scrap ever, practice first).

A couple of years ago I posted on fb that I was going to a weekend scrap retreat. Some of my friends that I hadn't seen since college had a field day with that. Some of the comments referred to grannies in a nursing home with a blanket and cats on their laps.

It didn't bother me, I laughed, they don't get it.

My mom likes to talk about my scrapping and card making. I made her and my dad a book from the 2002 trip to Germany and she's always asking if I have a card for whatever.

My DH gets it...I think. He knows it's important to me and supports my going to the retreat and monthly card club but I gave up showing him every page/card I do.

My DS likes that I scrap and tells me to go scrap so that he can have the living room to himself to play with his army or star wars guys

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• Henri Jean Said:
This is what you were talking about I think. It is awful! You are right - very insulting.

The scrapbook part is at the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mr3iqBgcG4

actually, LOL, I thought the commercial was hilarious,,,,,LOVED the dung beatle and they beat on him more than the animal that scrapbooked. Maybe I'm silly, but I just thought it was hilarious.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to m.perk

• m.perk Said:

Michelle, this is great. Who says you have to have kids?

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
  • m.perk Said:

I do get this question a lot... "you don't have kids so what's the point in scrapbooking?" I get this really funny look on my face and then point out to them whatever they do that is just for them. They still don't get it though... "if you don't have kids, who are you going to leave your albums to?"

I am glad I am not the only one to catch flack for that! The first time someone said that to me, I was absolutely FLOORED. I had to bite my tongue. I never looked at it as a hobby that you could only do if you had children. I told my hubby that I might as well sell the camera now! Our lives arent worth taking pictures of and keeping memories!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to m.perk

what a terribly rude comment,,seriously, whose business is it if you have or do not have children and what you choose to do with your money?

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to CommaHolly

I agree, Holly...and with us, it wasnt a choice to not have kids, it was the lemons that life handed to us. The last lady who said that to me (a LSS OWNER!), I laid into her a bit more than I should have. Kind of made her feel guilty about saying something so rude when all I want in the world is to have a baby, but cant. I sure hope she doesnt say something to the next gal who comes in and doesnt have kids!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to m.perk

I have people who tell me my children are grown and ask why I bother and I tell them I like to make scrapbooks of our trips. And I might someday have a grandchild (which I now have).

I loved the dung beetle - thought he was funny. And the reaction of the others to the dung beetle - perfect!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to kiyawinn

My family and my in laws and everyone I come into contact with is always interested to see what I do and loves it! At least, I have never had a bad experience.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

I am pleased that my oldest son appreciates my scrapbooking enough to want the books.

I made a baby book last year when their first was born. I emailed the entire thing to his wife, baby and later asked her if she liked it. She hadn't opened it and it got deleted. When she was here I showed her the book. It was only about 12 pages. She flipped through it but didn't really look at all the pages. Barely glanced at it and I could tell she was bored.

I think my son was a lot more interested.

I'm doing a lot of baby pages now for our granddaugher's book - she was just a year old this month. I don't even send the pictures of the layouts of the baby to her mother anymore.

She is a great mother - really great, the child is always first with her and I never have to worry one second about them neglecting the baby - they are great parents.

But my daugter-in-law is totally uninterested in my scrapbooking.

If someone had made a book for me of my babies when they were born I would have been gushing all over them.

I really put my heart and soul into a layout of my daughter-in-law earlier this week and emailed to her. I told her I was so excited, I thought it just might be my favorite layout I've ever done. She never said a word. Never even said she received it but I know she did.

She and I get along just fine, in fact she wants to move here to be near Bill and me and so the baby will be near us. That isn't my son - he wants to stay where he has a job. It's my daughter-in-law who wants to move here where we are.

She just thinks scrapbooking is silly.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

People who aren't craft minded have no idea of the time or effort or artistry and it is easy for them to brush it off.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Manda_K

Maybe that is just it Manda. I know its not me or anything personal.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

You may be surprised,,,,,she may get INTO it when she realizes HOW FAST they grow!!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-17-12 05:37 PM

That's true. I have a few friends who have young babies and they are so overwhelmed and tired right now that they just don't want to have anything else to have to think about. But I bet when their kids are off at their first day of school and mom's are wondering where the time went, they would love to have a beautiful album with all that journaling.

lisaloveshearts
Veteran
lisaloveshearts
In response to kiyawinn

Usually the reaction I get is, "Oh I have always wanted to do that."

I always encourage everyone to try it. What a wonderful hobby!!!!!!

Resident
In response to res19s2d

My DH and 2 DDs totally support me and for the most part get it. My youngest is 14 and loves to scrap with me. My husband is fine with whatever I spend and also is fantastic with understanding if I want to spend an hour or two in the scrap room. He loves to look at my pages but doesn't like to shop with me and doesn't understand my excitement with a new punch or new paper. LOL!

None of my family scraps although my sister enjoys seeing what I have created and also none of my friends scrap nor do they get it. Sometimes, I would rather spend an afternoon alone scrapping and not socializing and people think I am crazy. I would love to find a scrap buddy or two here in Cincy.

I have a friend who thinks putting photos in albums is scrapping. Her husband is an absolute 'butt' with money and will not allow her to buy any scrapping supplies (nor anything else) She made 2 photo albums on Snapfish and he told her not to do it anymore. She absolutely does not understand the money I spend on scrapping! Another friend who is soooo creative and would be fantastic at scrapping says she cannot do it because she is a perfectionist (and my, yes she is)She says she would hate everything she did because it would never be perfect in her eyes.

So basically, my house is the only place I have 100% understanding. Which is fine with me...others like to watch tv, party, sew etc. and I love to scrap! It is my happy place, my stress reliever, my creative outlet and most of all, I am making precious, irreplaceable memories for my daughters!

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
That's true. I have a few friends who have young babies and they are so overwhelmed and tired right now that they just don't want to have anything else to have to think about. But I bet when their kids are off at their first day of school and mom's are wondering where the time went, they would love to have a beautiful album with all that journaling.

This. I wanted so much to have memories of my son recorded for the first year, but was horribly clinically depressed after his birth. I had 2 older types of baby books- the kind that are preplanned and all you do is write stuff in/attach pics, but never did anything with them. When the fog cleared I wished I had recorded milestones, taken more photos, etc. I would have LOVED it if someone had given me a handmade baby album back then!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to m.perk

• m.perk Said:
I agree, Holly...and with us, it wasnt a choice to not have kids, it was the lemons that life handed to us. The last lady who said that to me (a LSS OWNER!), I laid into her a bit more than I should have. Kind of made her feel guilty about saying something so rude when all I want in the world is to have a baby, but cant. I sure hope she doesnt say something to the next gal who comes in and doesnt have kids!

We're the same.

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d

I'm not sure how or why some people assume that Scrapbooking is something you do because your a mom? I scrap because I love to!! For all I know my kids, family or friends may chunk my books when I pass. You know what I'm ok with that!! I do this for the love of creating and this is how I create!! I make my memories beautiful and have fun doing it(:

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to res19s2d

The main reason I scrap is to document the life my husband and I share together. Our travels, our families, the things that made us laugh, things that touched our hearts.

I scrap because I don't want to forget one minute of my life with this man I love and I scrap because when we get too old to travel anymore and the grandkids are growing up and we are sitting home at night we can take a book off the shelf and remember.

We can go back to Italy or Germany or Bora Bora. We can relive our weddiong or that special Christmas or get that lump in our throats we got when our first granddaughter was born.

We can laugh as we remember when the woman next door, our dear English neighbor was having a glass of juice with me at the kitchen table one morning and said, "There is your husband outside. And he's stark naked!" I ran out the back door and the first thing I said was, "Where are your clothes? Susan just saw you naked."

I'm sure that is why I journal so much. I don't want to just see pretty pictures. I want to remember everything.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-18-12 10:42 AM

I can just picture it. "WHERE ARE YOUR CLOTHES???"

I need to get better about journaling as things happen. I am so far behind that by the time I catch up, I don't remember all the stories and details. Why was this picture sooo important to me? I'm starting to do the daily journaling for trips and stuff and that is helping a lot.

But that's why I do my albums too. For my OWN memories. I do know some people don't do many BIG things so it's easier to remember that one thing. I know some people who have only ever been on one trip out of the country. I plan to do so many things that I'll need my scrapbooks just to remember which was which!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vae

Here is the layout and if you click on it - the entire story is there. Most of my funniest memories like this are things that happened in every day life and it isn't too long before you forget them unless something triggers the memory. As I was looking for this I saw 4 or 5 other stories I had scrapped like this and forgot about. I'm am so glad those funny things are on paper!

Bill's Frog By Henri Jean

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to m.perk

• m.perk Said:

It absolutely amazes me how some people can comment and make judgement on other people's lives without knowing ANYthing about that person. Heck, even if they do know something about that person, they have no place to comment or judge.

People don't understand how painful some comments can be. My friend had gone to a weekend crop and brought pics of her pets and a vacation to scrap. She didn't have kids at the time, couldn't have kids and was looking into adoption. Some of the ladies there had the nerve to tell her that adopting just wouldn't be the same as having her own and how their kids were their joy and they couldn't imagine adopting. What a bunch of .*#%*&@&... If I had been there, I would have laid into them like you did the LSS owner so they know they to keep their mouths shut next time. She was crushed.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• RedSquirrel Said:
  • m.perk Said:

We're the same.

we should add insensitive and cruel to the list of things people who pry into your private life are.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • m.perk Said:

It absolutely amazes me how some people can comment and make judgement on other people's lives without knowing ANYthing about that person. Heck, even if they do know something about that person, they have no place to comment or judge.

People don't understand how painful some comments can be. My friend had gone to a weekend crop and brought pics of her pets and a vacation to scrap. She didn't have kids at the time, couldn't have kids and was looking into adoption. Some of the ladies there had the nerve to tell her that adopting just wouldn't be the same as having her own and how their kids were their joy and they couldn't imagine adopting. What a bunch of .*#%*&@&... If I had been there, I would have laid into them like you did the LSS owner so they know they to keep their mouths shut next time. She was crushed.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA????? ???????????????????? I have NEVER in my LIFE heard anything so patently UNTRUE and CRUEL and INSENSITIVE!!!!! I'm floored.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Holly - Yes, I was floored as well. I was also floored by my boss a couple of weeks ago when he said adoptive parents aren't real parents. His son was here so I coudn't give him a piece of my mind.

Some people's stupidity will never cease to amaze me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pugs223

My best friend adopted a baby girl from China when the baby was 10 months old.

Kathy is 19 and my girlfriend could not possibly love that child any more if it were her own flesh and blood. It is her daughter. Period.

When Kathy was 5 she met someone she married and he adopted Kathy too.

My girlfriend would lay someone out flat if they even started to suggest to her it isn't the same.

She is probably the best mother I've ever met in my life and is so close to Kathy. She graduates form high school this year so last month they two of them went to China so Kathy could visit the orphanage where she spent her life until she was adopted. She always promised Kathy she would take her back to see her homeland and they had a wonderful trip.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

just unbelievable.

Pouncedeleon
Veteran
Pouncedeleon
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • m.perk Said:

This here is bullpoop. These are CHILDREN they were talking about. Where does it say that you can't love a child as much if you adopt as opposed to giving birth to it? I have 2 children that I gave birth to and 3 that I adopted. I love them all the same. That ladies should be beat down.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Pouncedeleon

I totally agree,,,,,,I have a grand son that's a step,,,,,,,we forget which one is the step.

My own father was my STEP father,,,,,,never used the word. I never for one second felt less loved than his biological children. And he was TEN THOUSAND times better than my BIOLOGICAL father, who, I assure you, did NOT love me. At least in any concrete way,,,,,,,,it was my STEP father who paid for my clothes,food, dental work, college bills, wedding,,,,,,,,,,,,and much more. It was my STEP father who waited up if I was late and walked me down the aisle. the heart KNOWS.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics