Username Post: I have WAY too much paper!        (Topic#1581081)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I have an organization set up for my paper but it does get messy what with pulling out and putting back paper all the time (cardstock and pp) so today I decided to clean it up.....
Well, I ended up getting rid of a bunch that I know I'm never going to use (all those pieces that I look at and say, "what was I thinking?") I also found a whole bunch of papers that I didn't know I had...some really neat ones!
My LSS has a garage sale next month so I'm going to get rid of a whole bunch of stuff....
I still have a whopping amount of paper, though...I have enough to scrap for probably a year and not buy any new....but I know I will!

It helped to see which types I have a lot of, though and which ones I don't have a lot of....

Alison (admiring the very neat stacks of all my paper now!)

Resident
In response to kiyawinn

.... I have no pity for you on the too much paper... but I will join your club!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to must_love_paper

Blasphemy!!!!

There is no such thing as too much paper.

You never know when you might use that pp you've had for 10 years that you're sick of looking at. I just did that a couple of months ago when making cards.

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero
In response to pugs223

I've been wanting to organize my paper for awhile now but too scared to actually see how much i have!!!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to kiyawinn

No such thing. But I did do an inventory of my paper and my stamps. Twice I purchased a stamp I already had!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-25-12 03:43 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

I organized my paper recently too... sometimes I just love going through them and looking at them. I feel bad stacking them back up and putting them in their boxes. Wish I had enough space to display them like in an LSS

...eh... I tell my DH that he's lucky... some people collect shoes, and they take up a lot more space!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

• CrimsonMama Said:
No such thing. But I did do an inventory of my paper and my stamps. Twice I purchased a stamp I already had!

A few weeks ago, I purchased two Bo Bunny paper packs I already had. I could have taken them back but I figure they won't go to waste.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to pugs223

I can join the too much paper club, also. I should start by sorting ALL of it into 2 stacks... stuff I like and UGLY paper. I bought several slabs on sale especially when I was starting to craft and that ugly stuff in those slabs seems to have multiplied itself. YIKES>>>>> >>>>>>& gt;>>>>>

shortmouse
Veteran
shortmouse
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I feel like I could never have enough paper/cardstock. Just this past weekend I drove the 60 miles to stock-up and while organizing my new stash into my old I realized I only had 5 sheets of 12x12 white cardstock. Bought every color under the sun but that. Guess I will have to settle for what they have at Wal-mart.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to shortmouse

Yes! I discovered when sorting that I don't have enough white, black or kraft......can you believe it? The Essentials!

Jarvae, yes, I too wish I had a better display for my paper....I forget the good ones that I do have because they are somewhat hidden away!

Crimson Mama....I recently bought a stamp that I already have as well but it was only a $1.50 at Ms and I don't feel like driving all the way back, would cost me more in gas than the stamp is worth so I'll probably just sell it in the LSS garage sale!

Alison

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to shortmouse

I opened my sb box that was delivered today...and of course pulled out some paper. Hubby asked if he should just put it on the pile. At least he's trained... ~Judy

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
I opened my sb box that was delivered today...and of course pulled out some paper. Hubby asked if he should just put it on the pile. At least he's trained... ~Judy

LOL! Yes, I have *several piles*....and am picking up my Halloween order from here at the Post Office tomorrow.....

On another note....why is it that I keep ordering Halloween paper when I only do maybe one Halloween layout per year (and I even skipped a couple years)....it's all so cute and/or pretty but I really don't use it much!
I understand the Christmas stuff 'cause I can make cards with it but I don't even do Halloween cards......

Alison

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-25-12 05:32 PM
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
...eh... I tell my DH that he's lucky... some people collect shoes, and they take up a lot more space!

Wait ... shoes are bad?!?!

Alison, I'm bad about keeping black/white/kraft in stock, too - it's so much more fun to buy the pretty patterns and textures!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-25-12 05:49 PM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
  • Jarvae Said:

Hey, I never said they're bad, I just said they take up more space! It's the one thing that I *don't* collect, and I use that to draw attention away from all the things I do collect like scrappy stuff and purses. And shot glasses. And books. And... oh nevermind.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to kiyawinn

I love paper. I have lots of pretty paper (and some not so pretty). Whenever I buy new paper, DH will ask "Do you need more paper?". I answer, "When did need ever enter into the equation?" He just sighs and leaves me alone to my hording.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-25-12 06:00 PM
In response to Mother Goose

LOL, Jarvae! I've got a LOT of collections going on, too - shoes, boots, whisks, fabric, tiki mugs, bear figurines (I love my bears!) ... there's a lot more, lol - luckily my DH is the same, we just have to make sure we have more or less equal amounts of space.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to stick

I run out of black and white way too often...so I started buying it by the ream at the office supply stores! It is archival safe and all that but the price per sheet is like 3 cents! But it costs more in one trip because I am buying reams I don't shop often but when I do the man is like "OMG!!! Why do you need so much?" I tell him this will last me all year! And it does

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to kiyawinn

I agree with Peg..you can not have too much paper.

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 09-26-12 03:48 AM
In response to anda11

I always enjoy going through my paper stash and reorganizing and purging. There's always some: "oh, yeah, I forgot I bought that" momeents!

Re: the LSS garage sale - I've never sold anything at our the LSS garage sales but the owner said that paper doesn't sell well. At our garage sales, she said people are mostly looking for tools and stamps.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to IzzyB

Yeah, I tried and mostly failed to sell a handful of sheets at a scrapbook garage sale, and I almost never look through other people's stacks of paper when I shop. I've bought kits and themed packs and stamps and punches and stickers and Sizzix dies and embellishments, and one time a bag of assorted ribbons and trims, and some pads of assorted colors of cardstock (like the Sizzix Little Sizzles pads), but looking through my pictures of scrapbook shopping bargain hauls it looks like I have never bought actual paper.

I've also got rather too much paper, but you know how it is, as soon as I get rid of it I'll find need for it.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to aquabunny

You guys use such funny words.

Too much paper?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to aquabunny

agree with the garage sale theme - just paper won't sell imho. i never look through the paper stacks, but i do look at the kits - in the last one i got a random kit 'cause i wanted the sheet of stickers and the buttons were cute, then found out the paper was quite nice too. if it were separate, i'd just get the stickers and walk away from the rest. so if you want to get rid of paper - make up a kit!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to IzzyB

hello - my name is Carla and I am a Paper Addict!!!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to aquabunny

Sigh!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to dwelch

I sold at my LSS garage sale last spring....I did sell some paper, actually ALL of it sold!
What I did was put about 10 pieces of pattern paper in a clear 12x12 plastic bag and sold the bags for $2.00 each....they ALL went....
Our LSS has you drop off your stuff, labelled, priced etc.. Then, they do all the selling and keep track of what sold (I always type out a list of stuff for them to check off). After the sale, you come pick up what didn't sell and they give you a gift card for the value of your stuff.
It's smart business for them as they are obviously making money on the deal. I don't mind, though because it is stuff I would otherwise give away and I always end up spending in this LSS anyway......it's a pretty good store.

Alison

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

I don't think you can have too much nice paper that you like, but I do think you can have too much of the ugly stuff you will never use.

I donate it but I should put it in paper bundles to sell.

At the scrapbook store garage sales the paper is usually in bundles in plastic - 50 sheets for $5.00 seems to be pretty standard. For $5.00 - if I find 20, or even 10 sheets I really like in the bundle I've done really well!

I don't buy any pre-made kits - I like to make and assemble my own so I don't even look at them.

But I love to find 50 sheets of patterned paper in one bundle - I have a field day with those and alwyas find enough in the bundle to make it well worth the investiment.

When paper is loose in a bin for 10 cents a sheet, I don't go through that too much. I get bored after starting to go through them and the good papers get picked over way too quickly. Pluse the ends start to get bent so I ignore paper that isn't packaged in plastic.

Pouncedeleon
Veteran
Pouncedeleon
In response to aquabunny

I just started and I don't have very much paper. The scrapbooking store here closed down and JoAnn's doesn't have a selection I like. I can pay for shipping and for the paper if you want to mail it to me. Just pm me your address and I will send you an envelop and money for postage and money for your paper if you want money for it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Pouncedeleon

I just donated hundreds and hundreds of sheets to cancer research for their big sale. That is where all of mine goes now. When I got my ATG I had just bought 75 boxes of a different repositionable adhesive on sale and I don't use repositionable anymore so donated all of that.

I have another small stack of stuff in a stack for the cancer research sale next year but not much.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to Vae

• Jarvae Said:
  • stick Said:
  • Jarvae Said:

Hey, I never said they're bad, I just said they take up more space! It's the one thing that I *don't* collect, and I use that to draw attention away from all the things I do collect like scrappy stuff and purses. And shot glasses. And books. And... oh nevermind.

Shoes are my weakness! Honey told me I needed to go through my shoes because there are some he has never seen me wear and I should get rid of some.....I told him I have never seen him use any of his guns (don't freak out we are country folk...lol) so he needs to get rid of them too. Needless to say, ever since that conversation happened, I have never heard anything else about my shoes again.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pamela.tx

I LOVE shoes!!!!

I have also started a new obsession with glasses. There's this website out there that glasses are as cheap as $6.95 (and that's with the prescription). They just ran a BOGO deal...I may or may not have 8 new pairs of glasses on the way.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to aquabunny

Probably the paper that most people put for the LSS sales is the same "ugly" paper that no one else wants either. I always wonder why the manufacturers think they have to put a few pages of the ugly stuff in a stack. Does it cost less to make? Maybe...they probably don't have to pay much to an artist to make some of the ugly designs :>)

I figure I'll use my unloved papers sometime for a mat, to cut flower petals/photo corners/alphies/punched borders out of it, or just to mess with some new technique so I don't wreck a beautiful piece of paper.~Judy

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Yeah, I have some truly ugly papers from a DCWV Photo Real stack, and I use them to try out punches and stamps and for a couple of occasions where I was making a page from individual components and needed a base layer to attach them to, like the two below.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to aquabunny

Sometimes I can look at a piece of paper and think it's ugly and no matter what I do with it, the LO is ugly.

Then I find a BEAUTIFUL LO in the gallery and upon looking for the details, I see the artist used that same ugly piece of paper and it's gorgeous in the LO.

So maybe that's why the paper packs come with such a variety.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to pugs223

Peg—I did a couple of LOs that I chose the paper because I figured most of it would be covered and I could get rid of it. Then I changed how I wanted to do one of the pages, but since I'd ATG'd everything down, I tore the ugly paper trying to get things off. But...by then I liked the ugly paper for the way it went with everything else...so I had to buy another stack to get some more of the ugly stuff

Then, one of the gallery comments was from someone saying how much they liked the paper that I had used. Yep, it was the "ugly paper".~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

How funny!

I did have some pictures recently and used some paper that I hated because the colors worked. It actually turned out to be a pretty cool layout.

I almost gave that paper away!

Seaside Dreams
Veteran
Seaside Dreams
In response to Henri Jean

No such thing as too much paper if you love what you have.

As far as garage sales and paper...unless they're kits or stacks, the best way is to put it in big bags and bulk price it. I've sold nearly all the paper I've ever had for sale that way. I even gave a bit of a price break if people bought so many packs. Much easier and sold much better than individual sheets.

Edited by Becky in OR on 09-26-12 03:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Seaside Dreams

When I went to the scrapbook yard sale at St. Pete (Whim-So-Doodle) in January I bought 6 packages of bulk paper - about 50 pages per pack and they were priced at $5.00 per package.

I went home with 300 new sheets of paper and a lot of them were keepers! In some packs I loved nearly all of them and some packs only 4 or 5 but I definitely scored big!

That is what I look for a the scrapbook store yard sales - bundled or packaged of random patterned papers!

Then what I don't like - I donate.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 09-26-12 04:20 PM

My sister came up for a week to visit and we went to Joann's to buy her some papers and whatnot. She picked some papers from the clearance stack that I really didn't care for, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure what her plan was.

When we started using the papers and combining them with some of my cricut carts and other embellies, I ended up loving her pages so much I went back to the clearance pile to find more of that paper. So funny how things work out that way.

Expert
In response to aquabunny

I have way too much paper...but never the right color...ha ha.
Husband laughed when I brought in 25 piece packs of paper (all the same color) in from tuesday morning. "you need more paper?", he mused. "But it was only 1.99", I replied. He turns, shakes his head, and walks away.

Resident
In response to deedee49

DeeDee, I had to LOL out your post. I have had the exact same reaction from my husband.

I have tons of patterned paper and I just keep buying. I love to mix and match manufacturers. I almost never do a complete layout with all the same manufacturer.

Two of my last few layouts have been old paper that I wasn't sure I would ever use but now they are some of my favorites. Keep that ugly paper..you just never know when you will use it...and love it!

Sherrenae
Diva
Sherrenae
In response to stvmom2

My experience buying paper at garage sales is not good. They usually sell them in ziploc bags stapled shut. I bought a pack that of the two papers I could see where great quality papers from designers I loved, when I got home those were the only good papers in the pack. Another pack reaked with smoke when I opened it. I now avoid paper at g-sales.

Edited by Sherrenae on 09-27-12 05:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to aquabunny

when I get my new craft space i'm going to do better about sorting my paper. Well, at least that's the plan

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to cescrapper

• cescrapper Said:
when I get my new craft space i'm going to do better about sorting my paper. Well, at least that's the plan

that's what I said too. Well I at least have it in a cabinet when my room is clean. But while I'm working, I'm tripping over it and I still can't find what I'm looking for.

Then there are those new paper packs that don't fit in the cabinet....

My paper just keeps multiplying!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-27-12 07:58 AM
In response to stvmom2

My husband is often surprised at how much paper I have, and that I can make room for more .... but he recently finally realized that my paper is really cool and that he can play with it, too (he makes paper airplanes, cards sometimes, gift tags, etc.). I encourage him to use it so I can buy more, lol.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to stick

That's the way to do it Stick! I do the same thing with my honey...he started making cards too. It's funny to see him hard at work making something because he realized how fun and exciting it can be. When he sees me coming in with Tuesday Morning bags he always asks, "What did you buy US now?"

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to Mother Goose

My scrap buddy and I always say " There's a difference between need and want "..

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to SmartyPants

Hi Carla... and do you know , there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with being a paper addict. or being addicted to flowers , ribbons ( like my BF ) rub onsc ect ect ...

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62
In response to pamela.tx

Tit for Tat Pamela... His guns against your shoes. I love it.. In our house it's my scrapping stash against the motorbikes, but as half the bikes are mine anyway , I WIN !!!!

Edited by ajsophios62 on 09-27-12 02:28 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to ajsophios62

too much paper????

perhaps you should look at my signature

Expert
In response to pamela.tx

• pamela.tx Said:
That's the way to do it Stick! I do the same thing with my honey...he started making cards too. It's funny to see him hard at work making something because he realized how fun and exciting it can be. When he sees me coming in with Tuesday Morning bags he always asks, "What did you buy US now?"

Dont' you just love Tuesday Morning? They had a great sale on paper this past week..and embellishments..got some great buys.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to deedee49

Too much paper? I'm sorry.....I don't quite see the problem

Veteran
In response to Luvmyfam

Didn't know anyone could have too much PAPER!!!!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to SHARON ELISE

Well, I need MORE! Just did a page this morning, and realized I am out of certain greens and blues in my cardstock stash. Mostly muted tones, I have plenty of brights. I also need some Halloween papers, and so on and so on....

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

I can honestly say that I can go 10 years without buying any patterned paper. I would need some cardstock becuase I match it to my patterned or my pictures.

But patterned - I'm probably set for life if truth be told.

I have one box with a stack at least 3' high of patterned paper - have never looked at it or gone through it. I have to work down my stash a bit before I have room for the new stuff.

Its all stuff I picked out and is lovely but there is no room for it so it is in a box and when some of my paper containers aren't so full I'll take a handful of the new stuff and fill it up again.

I have had this stack of new stuff for over a year - no idea what is in there but they are papers I picked out one sheet at a time so I know I love them.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon

I am obviously the odd one out. I have two 12x12 cropper hopper storage things of patterned paper and that is too much for me!
Now cardstock, that's a whole different game. I can never ever ever have enough cardstock. Good cardstock at least.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to fknapoleon

This thread is the best, I wish I could go through and click the "like" button on these comments.
Okay so I shouldn't feel bad that in addition to all my card stock and patterned paper I have a very large basket that holds just Bo Bunny paper and matching embellishments but emphasis on paper?

.....besides isn't having a large stash one of the few but sacred rules of scrapbooking???

LinneaB
New Kid On the Block
LinneaB
In response to jaxxan

I love paper. I have 6 feet of card stock and will use it all but never seem to have the right colors. I buy card stock in bulk twice a year when I find a great price. Bazzill and AC are my preference.

I also have 9 feet of patterned paper. At this point I don't use patterned paper in very many of my layouts but I do love to look at it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to LinneaB

Your stash sounds exactly like mine - my coardstock is only about 5 feet but my patterned is 9-10 feet altogether. About 3 feet of the patterned is stored in bin which is put away and difficult to get to until more room is available in other bins.

Seems like I used 4 or 5 sheets of patterned paper a day but it isn't making a dent!

godschild94
Governor
godschild94

Lol I know what you mean Henri Jean! My problem with paper is two-fold. I have way too much of it and when I do use it I usually use like a 3 inch strip of it so 9 inches of it goes back into my stash. It just keeps multiplying!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to godschild94

It does multiply. Thing is, I use a lot of it, but the stack doesn't go down. It gets taller!

When I find paper I like I buy 3 sheets and if I love it I buy 5 sheets. If I buy less then I'm hesitant to use it!

So much I only have one sheet of - I need to go through and pick out all the patterned paper I only have one sheet of and put it in a bin by itself. Last night I was doing a 2-pager and kept pulling papers that I only had one sheet of.

pamela.tx
Guru
pamela.tx
In response to deedee49

• deedee49 Said:
  • pamela.tx Said:

Dont' you just love Tuesday Morning? They had a great sale on paper this past week..and embellishments..got some great buys.

I can usually find some great things at Tuesday Morning. The bad thing is I usually spend at least $75, but I do look like Mrs. Claus walking out of there with my big bag of goodies.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to pinkpaperairedale

• pinkpaperairedale Said:
I can join the too much paper club, also. I should start by sorting ALL of it into 2 stacks... stuff I like and UGLY paper. I bought several slabs on sale especially when I was starting to craft and that ugly stuff in those slabs seems to have multiplied itself. YIKES>>>>> >>>>>>& gt;>>>>>

ROFL I totally relate to this organizing! I do cute then ugly/give away pile. Then my cute pile goes boy/girl -- then from that it goes into color

Resident
In response to Sassie

Speaking of too much paper I have been on a cardmaking binge lateley and used up 4 6x6 pads, and a guess would be about 40 sheets of 12x12, then the cardstock for all the card bases, I have made about 215 cards in a month. so what did I do... ordered like 100 dollars worth of paper... yup thats how I use it up lol

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Hang on. 9 feet of patterned paper? As in, all your sheets of paper stacked on top of each other with no space in between would make a stack 9 feet high? Or do you mean the amount of storage space you have for it, counting shelves and spacing?

My paper and card-stock together, including collection kits and 6x6"/8x8"/12x12" pads, all fits into 3 magazine holders measuring 3.5", 3.5" and 5.5". And I lose track of what I have.

9 feet?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel UK

It would be about 5' stacked one sheet on top of the other.

I think mine is about 9' in bins but if I actually stacked the paper on top of each other it would be about 5' because all the bins are not full. Like "food" has room for more, "License plates" has room for more, so does "tropical".

The big rolling container that I never look at has about 3' and I thought it was all patterned paper but seems I bought a lot of cardstock at Tuesday morning last year so it may be a mixture.

I know I have enough patterned paper to last a lifetime but always need more cardstock.

Actually there is room for a lot more paper on my carstook rack so I may start putting more cardstock away today. I'm running low on some colrs and I dont' want to buy them becuase they may be in the big bin. No idea what I have in there, just know it is all 12 x 12.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223

Hmmmm...why do I suddenly have the urge to take all of my paper out of the cabinet and holders, stack it on the floor and stand with my back to it and see if it's taller than me?

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
Sometimes I can look at a piece of paper and think it's ugly and no matter what I do with it, the LO is ugly.

Then I find a BEAUTIFUL LO in the gallery and upon looking for the details, I see the artist used that same ugly piece of paper and it's gorgeous in the LO.

So maybe that's why the paper packs come with such a variety.

That is too funny Peg!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• must_love_paper Said:
Speaking of too much paper I have been on a cardmaking binge lateley and used up 4 6x6 pads, and a guess would be about 40 sheets of 12x12, then the cardstock for all the card bases, I have made about 215 cards in a month. so what did I do... ordered like 100 dollars worth of paper... yup thats how I use it up lol

Congrats on getting that many done. Congrats on buying more!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I didn't actually stack it all up - I stuck my ruler into each bin to see how deep the paper was then added it all together.

But I am going through a lot of it! Been scrapping a lot so I've been using a lot.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-02-12 07:16 PM

Mine is only about 3 feet I think. It takes up just a bit more than one bookshelf, and it's all packed into holders with no space at all. So maybe 3.5 feet.

All I know is that my LSS got the Prima Craftsman (well, some of it) and I had to go get 2 of each. Plus the Birdsong paper pad has been calling my name so I went ahead and got that too.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to Vae

i have no idea what paper i have anymore. how do u all keep it straight. i bought tons of paper two years ago, patterned and card stock. then i went back to college, the my husband was diagnosed with cancer. i have graduated school, my husband has passed away and i am ready to start scrapping again. but i just can't remember for the life of me what i have, what i need, and dont even know where to start. as for amounts, i have about 7 of those 12x12 paper carriers full of cardstock, and one of those wheelie scrap bags full of patterned, and about 2 feet high of 8.5x11 stacked with no space. so even though the last time i was scrapping regularly this all made sense to me, it no longer does...how do i get reorganized. thanks for the ideas.

Resident
In response to abbynormaloh75

• abbynormaloh75 Said:
i have no idea what paper i have anymore. how do u all keep it straight. i bought tons of paper two years ago, patterned and card stock. then i went back to college, the my husband was diagnosed with cancer. i have graduated school, my husband has passed away and i am ready to start scrapping again. but i just can't remember for the life of me what i have, what i need, and dont even know where to start. as for amounts, i have about 7 of those 12x12 paper carriers full of cardstock, and one of those wheelie scrap bags full of patterned, and about 2 feet high of 8.5x11 stacked with no space. so even though the last time i was scrapping regularly this all made sense to me, it no longer does...how do i get reorganized. thanks for the ideas.

take it all out stack it on top of eachother and see if it is taller then you... I am not sure what to tell you to do... all my cardstock is organized by color all my paper is by manufacturer and then subdivided by paper line.. all my paper pads are stored in crates I got at walmart (I have 2 1/2 crates full I know my paper is taller then me i am 5'6" random fact) then my 8x8 and 6x6 are all stored together as well... emellishments weather they go with a paper line or not go with their like counterparts... so prima flowers are stored with prima flowers not with the paper line.

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75

mines not taller than me YET...lol...but while i was working on an album this weekend i was going through my papers looking for some silver metallic that i thought i had, (cant find it of course) and then found myself saying, i bought this??? why??? so i am hoping once i am back to scrapping more regularly, that it will all make sense to me. as for my embellies...lol...dont even get me started.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to abbynormaloh75

The very absolute best advice for organizing your papers is to organize it the way you scrap.

If you scrap and want particular manufacturer's papers - then organize by manufacturer.

If you look for dominate colors in patterned paper, then have bins for each color - like stripes, dot, and flowers that are mostly blue.

If you scrap by theme - organize by theme. That is my preferred method. I have a bin for food, USA travel, International travel, holidays, cruise (mostly ship stuff and water patterns or patterns that go with water layouts), tropical (Tropical flowers, beach, shells, palm trees etc), Baby, Textured & stitched, glitter & glossy - but that is how I scrap - by theme.

I have 3 bins of misc and that is all my colors in patterns - and its all patterns that are not themed - just a mixture of strips and dots and swirls and paisleys.

I also have a misc. theme bin which has hospital, animal (getting ready to do a separate bin for animal themed and zoo and aquarium paper) and the misc. theme has butterfly paper and pages with musical notes.

But organizing papers will only work if you organize them the way you scrap.

A lot of people here scrap by manufacturer and that does not work for me at all. But it may work for you.

I think most of us store our solid cardstock separately by color.

DaisyButton
Mayor
DaisyButton
In response to stvmom2

I try to purge mine once a year and donate it to school art teachers or friends who scrap and want it. I organized my scraps by color, and am trying to use them too... but I love paper so it's a never ending thing... LOL

abbynormaloh75
Guru
abbynormaloh75
In response to DaisyButton

i agree with Henri Jean, i am not a manufacturer scrapper, glad i am not alone. i like the theme idea and that is what i think i was trying to do when i put it all away for a couple years. i just have to get back to it now...thanks

ajsophios62
Diva
ajsophios62

ha ha ha I love all the comments about ' too much paper '. You girls make me laugh.. I'm in there as deep as all of you , I mean you just never know when you might want to use something and I see nothing wrong with a stash 3 , 4 or 6 ' high And as to letting the man into the scrap room... never in my house. He's got his ' cave ' down the back and my scraproom is sacred territory.. Chat to you all later. Angela

Diva

Same with me. When I go to the store I will tell myself, no more paper..then, I look at them...and get soem all the time. No self-control!

Pouncedeleon
Veteran
Pouncedeleon

• ajsophios62 Said:
ha ha ha I love all the comments about ' too much paper '. You girls make me laugh.. I'm in there as deep as all of you , I mean you just never know when you might want to use something and I see nothing wrong with a stash 3 , 4 or 6 ' high And as to letting the man into the scrap room... never in my house. He's got his ' cave ' down the back and my scraproom is sacred territory.. Chat to you all later. Angela

My husband likes to scrap too. That's ok with me because we get to spend some time together. What's the point of scrapping about us spending some time together if we're apart when we do it.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to Pouncedeleon

Welp, I did it AGAIN!

I purchased a pad of K & Company that I already had and forgot. Good thing I got it 40% off. Seriously, I did not have my inventory with me.

I have purchased paper twice on purpose. One of my faves is Mariposa by DCWV and I found a pad on clearance for $4 bucks! No brainer to repeat that. I also purchased The Paper Studio Poetic Postage 8.5x11 twice on purpose....also on sale so 2 for the price of one.

I'm not taking the K&Co (Life's Journey) back because I can use it for my genology book, that's why I wanted it. It has some vintage newspaper and I really wanted that so....I was looking for 8.5x11 vintage newspaper but have not found what I want.

Apparently my memory is NOT GOOD

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

I just gave away 6+" of pp & I can't even tell anything is gone from my stash.

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

Angi (abbynormaloh75),

I don't know if this would work with how you scrap. But sometimes I don't know what photos I want to scrap next. So I just pull out papers that I want to work with, then flip through my photos to find something to work with the papers. If you're feeling lost or overwhelmed, sometimes working "backwards" helps to get the mojo going.

That being said, I am not a chronological scrapper.

Diva

I can relate to that. DOne the same thing twice!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics