Username Post: Anyone in any of these places?        (Topic#1581547)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We are leaving on a cruise on Friday, October 26th out of Quebec. In fact the ship doesn't actually leave until 5PM on Saturday the 27th but we embark on the 26th and spend the night on the ship.

Here are the ports and if you live in any of these places - maybe we can catch up. We will be doing all the touristy sightseeing things and if you have suggestions of things for us to do while in the area - that would be great too.

(And my husband is not adverse to me stopping in a few scrapbook stores as long as we still do the sightseeing.)

Oct 29 - Sydney, NS, Canada
Oct 30 - Halifax, NS, Canada
Oct 31 - Bar Harbor, ME
Nov 1 - Boston, MA
Nov 2 - Newport, RI
Nov 3 - Brooklyn, NY
Nov 5 - Charleston, SC
Nov 7th - we end up in Ft. Lauderdale

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Henri Jean

I won't be anywhere near you, but I wanted to wish you a marvellous time! Do you get a chance to craft on the ship? I know you spend a lot of time on cruises - I just wondered?

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Not sure what is open in Newport in November, but if it is, check out Rosecliff or the Breakers for Mansion tours. Those are two of the more well known and impressive mansions that the Historical Society owns.

As far as food goes, Brick Alley Pub on Thames street used to have the best nachos ever.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Ohhhh......I am just missing u in Halifax. That is only 3 hrs fom me but we go the following weekend. Quebec city is gorgeous. A tour of old Quebec is essential. Halifax has a great waterfront and you could tour the Alexander Keith's brewery. Have a great time.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PhotobearSam

Thanks for the suggestions Liz and Samantha.

Bill's grandmother was from Boston (Brighton) and we visited her there once when we were kids (teenages) and we did the Paul Revere Trail (Freedom Trail), Salem, Plymouth Rock, - pretty much everything the week we were there but that was 40 years ago (okay, 42). I want to do some of those things again and this time - take pictures.

Love nachos! Will put that on my list. We love to check out waterfront areas so glad to know Halifax has a good one.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to PhotobearSam

Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. It's a great way to the see the city and visit it's history. A few of the stops, if you choose, have admission. Otherwise, it's free to just walk it. If you google it, it shows you the route and the stops on it.

If walking is not an option, you can take a trolley tour.

Quincy Market (Fanueil Hall) has nice little shops and food galore.

Harvard Yard!!!!!

Have lunch at Cheers on Beacon Hill or upstairs at the Hampshire House. Just up the hill is the State House.

Across the street stroll through the Boston Common.

Shopping on Newbury Street is around the corner.

All of these are along the Freedom Trail, or just a short walk.

What I love about Boston, is that it's such a walkable city.

I'm about 30 minutes north of Boston, on the coastal border of NH.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to NonnasLove

Henri, you and I were posting at the same time. Saw that you did the Freedom Trail!

With the Big Dig, you'll see some changes. Mostly in the routes.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

I live in Long Island, NY 'bout 45 minutes to an hour from Brooklyn. Don't forget to stop @ Junior's for the best cheesecake in the whole world....It's perfection that melts in your mouth!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GIGIGI30

I can't believe Bill and I went to Boston so long ago and didn't take one picture. Just can't believe it. I can't wait to see everything again.

We saw one of the famous cemeteries (I love to see cemeteries) and made rubbings of some of the headstones although I don't think they allow that anymore. Wish I knew what happened to them.

There really is a pub called Cheers? Did it inspire the tv show or did the tv show inspire the pub?

I am going to print out all of these notes and then get ideas of what to do. I know we will do some of the things suggested.

Cheesecake. My favorite! We don't normally buy food off the ship because my husband feels we are then paying for it twice - which is true. But maybe he will bend and buy me a piece of cheesecake.

The only exception is if we get so far from the ship we will loose our sightseeing time back-tracking to go to the ship to eat. Then we look for fast food or fish & chips or something quick.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

What fun you have traveling! Boston is such a fun city to explore. A lot of great places have been mentioned. Two more that I would recommend is the New England Aquarium and a great bakery called Mikes Pastry. Mikes Pastry is located in North East Boston near Paul Revere's house. Happy Travels!

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy

We had lunch at Cheers too! Great lunch spot!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Vintageivy

We love aquariums and try to visit a lot of them. We've been to aquariums in Barcelona and Australia and Japan - one of our favorite things to do. Just visited the aquarium in Seattle. Fun place.

Will keep Mike's pasty in mind!

If Cheers is close enough to the ship to go back then BIll will want to do that but we can still take pictures. If its far from the ship it may be a great place to eat!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

There is a Cheers in Halifax.

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to corrie fan

Hi, Jane. Miss you!

If you go to Cheers (before the show we referred to it as The Bull and Finch Pub) don't expect it to look like the TV version. The outside is the same but, the inside is different with the placement of the bar. They replicated the outside on a set. I love how you walk downstairs (outside) just like on the show.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.cheersboston.com/main_locations_beacon hill.h...

If you scroll down you'll see a link to click on for "History". It gives you the story on how the series came to be.

Being Italian, how could I forget Mike's Pastry? We always complete a trip to Boston with Mike's. Love, love. love their cannoli's. Some great restaurants in the North End also.

Link to Freedom Trail:
http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

Henri, would love to hear if you make it to any of these sites.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Thsnk you so much for the links Pat - going to chedck them out now!

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens

I hope you guys have a great time, it sounds like you will have many places to scrapbook. I am not from Charleston but I have been a couple of times. My Mom lives about 3 hours inland from there. Anyway, if you guys have time take one of the horse drawn carriages rides. They really tell you a lot of info. about the history of Charleston. I am sure you will hear a lot about this place too, but make a visit to the market downtown. They usually have a lot of neat things. And if you get hungry you can always stop in to Bubba Gumps for lunch. Enjoy your trip!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to lifethroughalens

Bubba Gumps are always good! I want to try Hyman's Seafood but Bill said we will do that sometimes when we are driving through - he doens't like to buy meals when they are paid for ont he ship. I guess I can live with that although so often I really want to try local restaurants!

I had not thought of a horse-drawn carriage ride. We did that in Victoria Canada and it was wonderful!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to lifethroughalens

I'm in Queens, one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, bordering on Brooklyn. It's a big city and it takes time to get around. If you're in Brooklyn, you may want to hop on a subway to Manhattan for sightseeing. Which part of Brooklyn will you be in?

Diva
In response to Solitaire

Not me, I live in Orlando, FL. Have fun! Take tons of pictures!

CarrieTS
Tenant
CarrieTS
In response to bayamonesa1

Not close to any of those stops but wanted to wish you a great time on your trip and safe travels.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 10-09-12 07:14 AM
In response to CarrieTS

I'm an hour from Halifax, Henri! What are your hours ashore that day? I can give you info for a couple lss as well.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CarrieTS

Solitaire - not sure where the ship docks - it would be where ever the cruise ship ports are but I am totally unfamiliar with that part of the country. I'm really looking forward to sailing in though, as I've heard we cruise past the Statue of Liberty!

If there is a double decker hop-on hop-off bus in that area, then that is my favorite way to see a new city. Plus we get great pictures from the top.

I will call the cruise line and find out exactly where we wil be docked and I guess we will work out a plan from there.

Bayamonesa - we are neighbors. I live in Ocala.

Thank you Carrie - I'm looking forward to this trip! We've always wanted to take a cruise around this part of the country and Canada to see the leaves changing colors. Also, so many ports in the Northeast that I've never seen! Really looking forward to it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

We are in Halifax on Oct 30 from 7AM - 4PM. Nice long day so we should be able to see a lot.

And stop in a scrap book store or two if they are not off our sight-seeing route too far.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 10-09-12 10:45 AM

Henri - do you remember the pages I did recently of Matt and I on the tall ship? You'll sail into Halifax that way, past George's Island, to the waterfront (I had the huge 1812 pic there). There are a ton of little shops along there.

You'll want to hit up the Citadel for sure - and they don't close for the winter until the end of the month. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax /natcul.aspx If they're still doing it this time of year - and they likely are, with a ship in port - they have a reenactment program that's really neat.

This is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, and there are a bunch of events happening since there's a Halifax connection. I know the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is doing a special program until the end of Oct - and that's right along the waterfront.

As far as tours go, check into the Halifax Harbour Hopper - you drive around in an open vehicle that can go on the roads or on the water.

There's also the public gardens - that's only a short jaunt from the citadel. Very pretty! Right across the street is a Robbie Burns statue, too.

Pier 21 is where immigrants to Canada came through from 1920s on and military left for the world wars - it's something to see, really, and right on the waterfront - I'd assume your cruise ship will likely dock in that area. I know they have a huge display on war brides specifically and WWII as well.

There's also a brewery in the area that does tours. If you need a recommendation on a place to eat, I can give you one as well. I'll PM you links to the local scrap stores once I'm at home on my own computer.

Edited to add: And considering you've got that much time, you might want to consider going further afield and visiting Peggy's Cove or, if you're in an agricultural mindset, the Valley (where I am now) is only an hour away. You'd pass through the birthplace of hockey (windsor) and we're in the middle of a pumpkin people festival. Highest tides in the world, too....y'know you wanna!

Edited by J-M on 10-09-12 11:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to J-M

RE: Your NY stop in Brooklyn. Wherever you dock in Brooklyn, you must go to Manhattan in order to find a double-decker sightseeing bus. I suggest hopping on a subway to get to midtown Manhattan, near Times Square (Broadway & 42nd Street). You'll love it. The subway is the fastest way to get around the city. You can hop a cab but could get stuck in traffic. It's an experience you don't want to miss if you've never ridden a NYC subway before. Pick up a free subway map at one of the booths.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Solitaire

We've taken a lot of subways but I don't like them becuase you don't see anything. I just don't like them.

We may have to take them but we may have to. Whenever we've taken them in the past it was such a bummer becuase I missed everything above ground. But if we have to do that to get to a double decker bus we will.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I did not realize this was the 100th anniversary of the Titanic - hopefully there will be things to see about it! I want to see the Titanic museum and graveyard. Someone told me to go to 5 Fisherman - that was the funeral home at the time of the Titanic. They probalby have some historic things!

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb

Solitaire, I loves taking the NYC subways. I thought it was a blast! But then I'm easily entertained. Our first time there within the first hour we were on the subway to a Yankees game. We met a police lieutenant that was also on his way to game. He gave us some good advice about what streets to stay within as far as boundaries and to take the subways and not worry about it. He took us to our gate at the game also.
We got pretty good at jumping from one to the other to get where we were going. Took them back to time square every night. My son was 13 and he loved it. Always had a wonderful time there. We walk or subway our way everywhere. I just haven't been to Manhattan at Christmas time yet. But it is on my bucket list.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

I might be okay with the subways in a place I was familar with but taking the subways in New York, where I've never seen the city - I just want to see the city!

Does that make sense.

We took a subway somewhere in Italy and I was so disappointed becuase there was so much above ground I was missing. If I had been there before and seen what was above ground it would have been fine but it was frustrating to be somewhere I had never been before and then not been able to see it becuase I was on an underground subway train.

We had subways in Atlanta and I hated them. Hated them! You would have to pay me a lot of money to get back on an Atlanta underground subway. But the subways were very nice in Singapore. However, we were there 4 days and saw everything so I didn't feel like I was missing anything. WIth only 1 day in New York, I want to see everything!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

Henri--Does your budget allow you to rent a car in Bar Harbor Maine? Maybe you could split the cost with another couple from the ship. Because I think the one thing you should do in Bar Harbor is driving the Loop Road in Acadia National Park. It's a 20 mile road with various places to stop, take pictures, read about the history of the park, etc. Going up Cadillac Mt. is a must and is along the Loop Road. I would totally meet you there and take you to all the must sees, but it's 3 hours away and during the work week!

If you browse this site, you can get more info.
http://www.nps.gov/acad/index.htm
Click on Plan your Visit, then Things to Do and it will give you more info. I'm assuming you only have a few hours, so Loop Road would be the best choice.

You'll have to pay the park fee of $10, but that's per vehicle.

Edited by MrsD2008 on 10-09-12 04:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to MrsD2008

The big thing about an Imagine machine, is it will print in color and cut. So you could print in the colors you wanted, the size you wanted, and then have it cut out for you. You can use the imagine cartridges in a E2 machine, but remember you get the shape only because no Cricut machines print but the Imagine.

I wanted an Imagine machine, but they've had lots of issues with them. They don't sell them anymore. Hopefully,they will get the technology lined out one of these days and start making them again. I think it is an amazing concept.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

We sometimes rent cars when we travel - or find someone else to rent with. It usually more fun for us if we are with another couple.

The park could be a good idea. My husband has a free National Parks card because he is retired military so we don't pay park fees. Two months ago we went to Yellowstone - we swing through a lot of National Parks and enjoy them.

The only thing my husband really hates to pay for when we are on a cruise is food - because it is furnished on the ship he feels like we are paying for it twice so its rare we eat off the ship.

And now we are planning our spring vacation. We will go to Las Vegas for a week, drive to San Diego to see the new granddaughter that will be about a month old, then to Hawaii for 2-3 weeks and then probably on to Japan. We've been invited as guests of a friend who owns a really nice hotel and they are putting us up free for a week. Bill said we may go to the Philipines or Guam next summer too. May possibily go to several countries but we have time to decide. We are usually gone about 3 months for our spring vacation. Then our summer vacation is shorter, maybe 2 weeks to a month. We usually take a long fall vacation for 2-3 months but aren't doing that this year because of Joe's surgery. Just taking this cruise for 2 weeks which is as long as I want to be away from him until after the surgery.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 10-09-12 05:00 PM

Henri - this is where you want to go for your Titanic info: http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default .aspx

The graveyard with the Titanic remains is also in downtown Halifax (near Citadel/public gardens). Interesting fact: there IS a grave for a Jack Dawson, although not the one from the movie (he obviously didn't exist!) I'd just moved to the city when the movie came out and young girls flocked to that grave with flowers!

When I was along the waterfront in August, a lot of the tourist spots were selling Titanic-related memorabilia, including copies of the paper that was published after the sinking. Not sure if they'd still be opened, but you may want to check.

The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic should also have info on the Halifax Explosion, marks its 95th anniversary in Dec.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Henri,

You got some good info for Halifax.

Halifax cruise site

But this one has a great aerial photo of the port - click on cruise to see it:

Halifax port site

For Quebec city, although you have seen a lot of the world, it is an old fort with a wall around the old city.

Quebec city tourism

Click on #4 and you will see where you dock vs the old city. The old port area is lower than the city and you can see the wall above. There is a historic attraction - the ruins above. I did not go down but there is the funicular to get you up and down - not sure where it is in relation to the dock and going up.

Funicular

Love the charm of Old Quebec.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to corrie fan

Look briefly at all those sites - thank you for linking. I'm going to really go through them with my husband a print out pages tomorrow! So many ideas.

Didn't know they had a funicular - havne't been on one in a while and they are always fun. We went on one in Montevideo in South America, one in Hong Kong and one Russia. We always enjoy them! Also one to Heilelburg Castle in Germany.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to CarrieTS

Have a wonderful time, take lots of pictures and I am already looking forward to seeing your pages!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to elsje2

oh I love old Quebec City! I'm so envious you get to go on a cruise and see the east coast cities) in Quebec, you simply must - MUST - go and check out local restaurants, the food is so french! Do the walking tour of the old city for sure, go down into the lower part of Old Quebec, and if you have time - visit the Museum of Civilization and see their expo of the History of Quebec - quite a different look onto the colonization of Canada and the role of French) very interesting)

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I hope you two have a fabulous time henri.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 10-10-12 06:34 AM
In response to anda11

I've been trying to think where to recommend you go for your Sydney stop - and the only thing I can think of is the Fortess of Louisbourg, which is a ways out of Sydney, but there's literally nothing else down there to see. It seems really odd your ship is stopping there, actually. Here's a link: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/ns/louisbo urg/visit.asp...

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to J-M

Riding a NYC subway is a unique experience because it's a cosmopolitan city and you're sure to see a lot of interesting characters. It's a whole city underground. However, if go during rush hour, you will get the sardine-in-a-can experience.

Just get to Times Square where you will find lots of double-decker sightseeing buses eager to sell you a tour. There's nothing like that in Brooklyn, mostly a residential borough.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Solitaire

I think this is the area we mostly want to be in.

I remember many years ago riding a subway in Boston. I think that is the first time I ever rode a subway.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Solitaire

• Solitaire Said:
Riding a NYC subway is a unique experience because it's a cosmopolitan city and you're sure to see a lot of interesting characters.

Of this she is NOT KIDDING!!! Mu first ride in an NYC subway was FULL of crazies, some fun, some funny, one FREAKY!!

Warning...read no further if you are a prude or easily offended by items of a suggestive nature...

My best friend from college and I were going to NYC from Staten Island, took the ferry then the subway...It was St Patricks Day, and the train was FULL of partiers, people were drunk, singing, laughing, making new friends. In fact, someone on the train even knew my friend, played basketball against her. A homeless man came on the car, looked around, and said, "Well, I may be homeless, but I can play the comb!" He proceeded to take out a black comb and played it like a harmonica, taking requests like The Addams Family Song, Brady Bunch Theme, Gilligan's Island, etc. The entire car was clapping, snapping, and singing along like only drunks can do!! Hilarious good fun! The homeless man left n went on to the next car with his pockets full of coins.

Later that evening we were coming back home, and the train was very quiet. A very tall man sat across from us, knees spread, arms crossed, chin on chest, and he appeared to be sleeping. I took the opportunity to check out his clothing, which was unusual...knee-high fringed moccasins, leather vest, long black dangly belt with a very odd silver buckle wrapped around the end, swaying between his legs with the motion of the train...WAIT A MINUTE...THATS NO BELT, AND THAT'S DEFINITELY NOT A BELT BUCKLE!!!!! Can you guess what he was displaying for us??? WE RAAAANNNNN!!!!

Yep, Lots of characters on the subways in NYC. But don't let that scare you, Henri...he was probably harmless...

Only in New York, folks, only in New York!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics