Username Post: Picture Help        (Topic#1581757)
New Kid On the Block

Hello! I am new to the scrapbook scene. I am making my boyfriend a scrapbook of all the hikes we have enjoyed together in beautiful Colorado. I am hoping someone can help me out with a few questions. I haven't really printed pictures in a couple of years, however, I remember cropping some photos and ordering prints from Walgreens and they came back distorted. Probably because I cropped the photos and they were printed on 5x7 sheets making them look stretched. I have taken lots of photos on the hikes but many of them will have to be cropped. Is there a way to avoid this problem? Also I have a printer that is capable of printing pictures. Would it be cheaper to print myself and again avoid running into the quality issue if I crop? Adhesive paper would be nice to directly stick to the sheet. Any insight or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Like I said I am a newbie and just trying to make my gift perfect : ) Thanks in advance for the help!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to allyherrera19

I am going to tell you what I do, first off, I don't find printing at home to be cheaper, but it is just me.
I use shutterfly for all my printing...and here's why, first off and the biggest reason, shutterfly prints the date the picture was TAKEN on the back of your prints. Snapfish will print the date the day your pictures are printed!! BIG difference!!!!
The prices are comparable to other sites, and I look for coupons and print when I get them.
Also, shutterfly will tell you when a picture is going to get distorted when you blow it up. That helps a lot to prevent pictures from being useless!!!
If there is a picture, and it tell you it can't be big at all, not even 4x6- you can generally print in wallet size, you will get 4 of them but at least you don't lose the picture!! I have done this for some pics that I got off the internet for a project!!
Hths!!

Diva
In response to binkiemonstermom

Good tips. Thank you so much!

New Kid On the Block
In response to binkiemonstermom

Very helpful thank you!

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I print at home using Microsoft WORD to insert an image from a file. I can then resize it and crop it as needed, placing several images on one sheet of photo paper. This is very versatile and very inexpensive.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I use Shutterfly too sometimes expecially if I want 5x7.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Solitaire

You can print at home in any size, without things getting cut off, by using "Picasa" (free to download, by Google) if you don't already have a program.
Just tick off the "shrink to fit" box instead of the "crop to fit" box when printing.

When I print at Walmart (or Snapfish), they have a similar box to tick off. When you crop pics on your computer, they usually end up odd sizes. When you go to print at a store, if you don't give any instruction, they will end up being cut off in odd places.....
When you "shrink to fit", you can end up with pictures that are not 4x6 exactly, but they will be close (and nothing will be chopped off!)

Alison

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to kiyawinn

I started printing my photos at home, I never really had any problems since. I have a Kodak all in one printer. I really like how the pictures come out like the prints you print in the store. It not that expensive to print at home at least for me. You might have to buy ink and more photo paper though it just depends on how much printing you are doing and at what size.

Justie

http://wwwjustie.blogspot.com

New Kid On the Block
In response to kiyawinn

Have you ever used the collage function on Picasa? Is that the only way to print more than one picture on a page?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Yes, I frequently use the collage function. I believe (someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that, that is the only way to get more than one pic on a page in Picasa.....
If you use a PC, however, you can use the Windows Live Photo Gallery to print 2, 3 or 4 pics on a page with the print function....
You could edit pics in Picasa and then print with the Windows Live Photo Gallery by saving them into "My Pictures" and then printing from there....
Up to you....

Alison

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics