Username Post: What did you try in 2012? Success or BUST!        (Topic#1583761)
Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

What to you try or buy in 2012?
Was it a success
or a BUST!
Please post products & pages.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Misting...
Still deciding if a Success or Bust as I don't think it looks as good as others who mist but I don't hate it...

Cat Nappers By Doreena

Early Gift? By Doreena

Edited by Doreena on 01-02-13 09:30 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

JediScrapToo
Diva
JediScrapToo
In response to Doreena

I am a CM scrapper, so the things below are very common, but I've just now opened up to them.

I tried inking/chalking the edges of my cricut letters, and I tried liquid pearls! I love both, and this is a success for both on one page!

HLSR* By JediScrapToo

I also tried inking with Distress Ink and chipboard, and the wonderful world of twine, with success!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to JediScrapToo

I bought a Big Shot and this is my first project with it using the star-shaped nestie:

Herman's Hermits in Concert - Both By Henri Jean

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to Henri Jean

For me it would be misting and the cricut. I think I'm going to give misting another chance because I can't figure out how to make it look less blotchy.

The cricut...forget it. I absolutely HATE the thing. I sold my first one because I couldn't figure out how to use it. Stupid me bought the mini thinking I could finally get it to work. Nope. I'm sticking w/ my big shot and now I need to sell my cricut mini and my giant flower blooms cartridge.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Monique_McCoy

I tried altering cigar boxes and stamping. I really like the results, and in fact my first box is in this month's Scrap-n-Art magazine!!!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to ScrappyMama6

Well, I decided to have fun doing blog giveaways. Its been a blast! My favorite part is when there's a winner and I get to email them and tell them that they won. I know that its going to be a really good moment in someone's day. Maybe even the only pleasant moment in that day. Maybe its the first time that the person won something. Either way, I just LOVE doing the giveaways. I also started doing video tutorials. I used to be afraid of making video tutorials thinking that people were going to think that they sucked. But so far so good. I'm getting better at it, and most important, I'm having a lot of fun making them. So both things have been a success. I can't wait to see what new things I can do for 2013

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-02-13 06:16 PM
In response to ScrappyMama6

Two things for me. First - Lindy's embossing powders, big success! Heat embossing was a failure for me before I found Lindy's.

The little bear stamp and the National Forest tag in the lower left are both embossed:
Bear, Yellowstone, 2008 By Stick

Second - Zoloft. HUGE success!! And now that I feel alive and interested again I'm ready for 2013 to be full of scrapping!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to stick

Congrats Teresa and LOL Stick!

I became a Spellbinders fan. Not that I have many, but I LOVE what I have.

I rediscovered my Xyron out of storage, and I got all excited but I still haven't used it after all this time. I have the pink mini-X, and although I use it for some things like lettering, I hate getting rid of all the goo from the edges. I'd say that was a bust.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I call that spider-webbing Rosey because that is what the goo reminds me of from the xyron. However, Xyron makes a glue erasor that gets it right off. I also have a stretched out paper clip and I remove most of the spider-webbing before I put the piece on the paper.

The xyron glue erasers are hard to find so when I find them I buy several. If you want I'll look for one for you - they really do remove the spider-webbing from the layout around the letter without hurting anything else.

Let me know if you want me to see if I can find one for you. Right now we have house guests for 5 days so I'm not out and about much to scrapbook places but I will have a few days to look around after they leave before Joe's surgery.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

What a fun thread.

I tried several new things in 2012.

First, the busts:

Digi stamps. Blech. Not for me.

And the Sew Easy? Not so much!

Stencils were a yay:

As well as acrylic paint:

And I made my first mini book:

All in all, a great year for new things. I still have to work the kinks out of heat embossing. I first tried it last Christmas and haven't touched that heat gun since. Huge fail.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to stick

• stick Said:

Second - Zoloft. HUGE success!! And now that I feel alive and interested again I'm ready for 2013 to be full of scrapping!

You're a trip.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena

• rubymillerand Said:
For me it would be misting and the cricut. I think I'm going to give misting another chance because I can't figure out how to make it look less blotchy.

The cricut...forget it. I absolutely HATE the thing. I sold my first one because I couldn't figure out how to use it. Stupid me bought the mini thinking I could finally get it to work. Nope. I'm sticking w/ my big shot and now I need to sell my cricut mini and my giant flower blooms cartridge.

I can't figure out the "less blotchy" look of misting either!
And
I hate the Cricut as well!!!
I bought one and sold it w/in a month!
LOL!

Edited by Doreena on 01-03-13 08:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
What a fun thread.

I tried several new things in 2012.

First, the busts:

Digi stamps. Blech. Not for me.

And the Sew Easy? Not so much!

Stencils were a yay:

As well as acrylic paint:

And I made my first mini book:

All in all, a great year for new things. I still have to work the kinks out of heat embossing. I first tried it last Christmas and haven't touched that heat gun since. Huge fail.

I agree w/ you about the sew easy...I don't like it either!

WHat don't you like about digi stamps?
I've never used them before... Just curious...

Edited by Doreena on 01-03-13 08:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Two things for me. First - Lindy's embossing powders, big success! Heat embossing was a failure for me before I found Lindy's.

The little bear stamp and the National Forest tag in the lower left are both embossed:
Bear, Yellowstone, 2008 By Stick

LOL about Zoloft!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
  • rubymillerand Said:

And
LOL!

Another Cricut hater here. I think I would've liked it if I had a Gypsy - constantly switching the carts made me insane.

I got a Cameo for Christmas and am having a torrid love affair with it. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:

I agree w/ you about the sew easy...I don't like it either!

WHat don't you like about digi stamps?
I've never used them before... Just curious...

I'm not a colorer. I love what other people can do with them, but it's not a happy creative process for me. Too stressful.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

Oh wow! You do such a great job I would have never guessed!
I love coloring! Well, I should rephrase that...I love coloring in Barbie coloring books... yes, I am a coloring book snob! LOL!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • Doreena Said:
  • rubymillerand Said:

And
LOL!

Another Cricut hater here. I think I would've liked it if I had a Gypsy - constantly switching the carts made me insane.

I got a Cameo for Christmas and am having a torrid love affair with it. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

"Torrid Love Affair" sounds like a movie I gotta watch, LOL!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-03-13 08:54 AM
In response to Doreena

LOL guys!! Take your successes and your pleasures wherever you find them

Love the stencil'ed LO, Melissa, I need to play with my stencils more.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Doreena

What an entertaining thread!
Edumacational even!

My 2012 bust was copics (yes, I can hear the collective gasps of disbelief!)

I took a Copics 101 class, and I bought 2 of each in ROYGBIV, and I tried. Then I tried and tried and tried. I bought specialty stamping paper and used some LaBlanche stamps and tried my copics on that. Then I just put them away. Now I only use them to color clear gems, pearls etc.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Kim222

Oh---in playing with the mists and sprays, I've found that the bottle you're spraying from has a little to do with the type of spray that will come out. Some bottles (like the Ranger mini misters) have a really fine mist spray, while others (like Rangers Perfect Pearls mist) release a larger amount of product, producing a different spray pattern.

You can try holding the bottle further away from whatever you're spraying. It seems the closer the bottle is to the item, the "blotchier" the spray pattern.

Not a perfect science by any means, but worth a spray or two.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to stick

• stick Said:
LOL guys!! Take your successes and your pleasures wherever you find them

Love the stencil'ed LO, Melissa, I need to play with my stencils more.

What she said!! I've been practicing the ghosting technique with some of my stencils, but I haven't nailed it yet. Not giving up until that technique is ready for next years SUCCESS OR BUST thread

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-03-13 09:13 AM
In response to Kim222

Kim - You can also use Copics to ink edges, especially intricate shapes like letters. Takes just a little practice to learn how to control the "bleeding" (interior corners are the worst), but it can be a cleaner look than doing it with an ink pad and dauber because you're only putting ink at the very edge.

I did the edges of the circles in a slightly darker red than the paper, just to highlight them a bit:
Birthday card By Stick

Both the yellow background of "Waikiki" and the hibiscus have been edged with Copics. Subtle, but it made a big difference:
PINK Challenge: Waikiki Sunset By Stick

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I use my Cricut sometimes - not in love with it. Love my Slice a whole lot more.

My Gypsy is useful sometimes but I'm not in love with it either.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Thanks for the great idea, Stick! I usually use a pointed qtip or cut-n-dry nib to get ink into intricate places, but the Copics would be much easier.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Kim222

BOOMS: I did a small altered Altoid tin for my mom's 80th birthday. A big hit, but time-consuming to make!
Memory Tin By Meezerpleaser

I made an album for a baby shower. Turned out well, even though the expectant mother said "I hope it's not pink" before she opened it, and of course I'd made 95% of it pink. Here's one of the only pages that WASN'T pink.

Baby Album - for baby's first bath By Meezerpleaser

And I learned to heat emboss! Lost my fear of the heat gun!! Another boom!

And I learned to use alcohol inks! Definitely a boom!

BUSTS: Coloring stamped images with watercolor pencil. I'm a rotten colorist so my colored images turned out washed out and poopy. Got the TH Distress Markers and I'll experiment more in 2013 with more definite color. This was a washout.

Christmas 2012 - Noel By Meezerpleaser

So I had more booms than busts in 2012!!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to stick

• stick Said:

There goes my diet coke all over my monitor.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to stick

I tried to cluster prima flowers, Epic fail. lol
My sons birthdbath 2 By Cindyckj

Misting turned out ok but not great and also washi tape turned out cool:
First tomato from the garden By Cindyckj
Working with and layering multipe patterened papers:

Fail
HOME PAGE 2 NSD By Cindyckj

Ok?
4th of july 2012 By Cindyckj

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • Doreena Said:
  • rubymillerand Said:

And
LOL!

This may sound mean, no offense to people out there who enjoy the cricut, but I would love to see a Cricut Haters Group!! LOL

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC

It was ALL new to me in 2012. I also have a torrid love affair with my cameo. And I have no interest in Copic'ing. Like Melissa, I love what others do with ir, but I just don't have the patience. I have a heat gun and embossin powders that I have yet to try.

Buttons and masking and washi were great for me! and I'm finally better at cards. They were such a challenge for me in the beginning...not sure why.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to LesleyC

I guess chalking and punching were my main 2012 favorites, along with printing my own backgrounds and borders. I really want to love washi, so I buy a lot of it...but have yet to use any of it. I try and it just looks dumb, so I take it off.

I also wasn't interested in Copics, but then I began making cards and once I watched a few youtubes, I told my daughter that if I ever won the lottery, I'd buy Copics...so she got my kids together and they gave me a set of 72 for Christmas. Now I'm afraid to use them, but I will once I get re-organized from my Christmas mess.

For 2013, I want to get more use out of my Cameo and remember to use my Cuttlebug. I have lots of dies and folders, but forget to use them. What I really want for 2013 is to get moved back into my craft room, but that means moving hubby and his 'puter out of there. It would be easier to move into a new house and start from scratch ~Judy

Mary_Ann
Tenant
Mary_Ann
In response to mrsdriver5

I tried Tim Holtz distressed inks and the CM border maker!
Loved them both!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mary_Ann

I have the CM border maker that I bought last year and forgot about! I'm so glad you said something about it. I want to get it out and play with it!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
What an entertaining thread!
Edumacational even!

My 2012 bust was copics (yes, I can hear the collective gasps of disbelief!)

I took a Copics 101 class, and I bought 2 of each in ROYGBIV, and I tried. Then I tried and tried and tried. I bought specialty stamping paper and used some LaBlanche stamps and tried my copics on that. Then I just put them away. Now I only use them to color clear gems, pearls etc.

Bust on Copics here, too!
I rarely use them and have a whole jar full!
I just don't colour in stamps that much and have little other use for them...
I guess I hopped on the Copic bandwagon a little too quickly!
I wonder if I could sell them on eBay or something?

Alison

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

You definitely could sell them on eBay--especially since they're refillable and the nibs can be replaced.

If you decide to keep them, though, keep in mind that they are alcohol ink, so you could use them to color your metals, glass, plastic etc. Any non-porous surface really. Of course they can be used on paper, ribbon, cloth etc as well, but you'd lose the blendability.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Kim222

new loves this year: making my own flowers, Nesties (my collection is ever growing), wet distressing, more misting/painting, lacing

another meh on the Sew Easy (I can't make the thing stay straight, and the holes punch unevenly)

I LOVE trying new trends and techniques ... I may not embrace them all, but I love the learning process even if the results leave something to be desired

and Melissa ... WHERE did you get that arrow stencil ... must.have.it!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
and Melissa ... WHERE did you get that arrow stencil ... must.have.it!!

You're welcome.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to kelseymel

thnx

I just ordered it (and a few other stencils while I was at it)

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to madmatter

Those stencils are REALLY cool. I really liked what people have done with them. It's a great way to jazz up or tone down a paper. I am going to have to get some too.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 01-10-13 06:28 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Has anyone noticed that Crafter's Workshop also has blank template material? The possibilities are now endless! I plan to add some to my next order, I'm sure I'll be able to cut it with my Gazelle.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics