Username Post: Take Better Photos        (Topic#1584715)
photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick

We all want to take better shots, right? Well, it all goes back to the basics. So I thought I'd try starting a thread with assignments again. Starting way back at the very basics. No matter how long you've been shooting, a week, a year, a lifetime... there are skills you always need to work on.

So who is interested here? I thought a group like we had before, an as you have time to participate open thread, would work best. I'll post an "assignment" twice a month... around the first and the 15th. Please speak up if there's a particular skill set you want to improve on. Participate as you can, go back and do any previous assignment whenever you want!

The assignments will be basic skills that can be accomplished with any camera... no frills point and shoot to a top of the line DSLR. The point of this thread is to get out and practice so new images shot with the assignments in mind only please.

What I don't want here... no ripping, shredding, trashing or otherwise bashing. This isn't a thread to give hard critique. It's a thread to learn. So keep any kind of feedback in regards to improvement in a positive and constructive light. If you want to rip apart people's hopes and dreams there are a lot of other photo boards out there just for that.

Sound good? Come on, this board has been so slow and it used to be really great. Let's make it great again....

Assignment 2-1-12
FOCUS!

Focusing is probably the most basic skill in photography, but it's one a lot of people don't spend a lot of time on. We have auto focus, right? But how many times has auto focus failed you? How often has it put that point of focus in the wrong place?

So the first task is to take your camera, pick someplace to focus precisely. If you miss then keep trying until you hit it. This may mean getting the manual out for your camera to learn how your auto focus system works. It could mean learning to use AF points, or even coming up with a good focusing method. Just pick a subject and go.

This is not an assignment about depth of field. It's an exercise to nail that focus exactly where you want it.

Now go. Shoot. Post.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to photo_chick

No takers, huh? Ok. Guess this board really is dead.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-04-13 08:16 AM

Photo chick I just saw this.I think its a great idea,we can all use the practise.If its still open I would like to join,

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Bev1

Yay! It may be just us though. But maybe if we get going more people will join in.

I'm going out shooting this week with this assignment in mind.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

I'd like to try too

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-06-13 03:26 PM

Later this week for me too.I sure need the focusing practise!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-06-13 03:34 PM

Photo chick, I don't know how to post my pictures here.
Need instructions please.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I can try to help you. Once you have your picture in your gallery selected, down a bit on the left hand side, click on link/embed. A box will pop up with your picture again. Click the img code button and copy that long gibberish. Click the largest button size so we can see it better in the forum. Close that box and come back here. Right click and paste. Hope that helps.

~LinMom~
Veteran
~LinMom~
In response to AmyWho

Can I join in? I haven't used my camera in a while and want to get to taking more non-phone photos again!

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to ~LinMom~

Yay! More peeps! Everyone is welcome. Any camera, any level.

Amsel's instructions on posting a photo sound right. I just got a new lens for my birthday so I'll be shooting and posting probably tomorrow. It's an 85mm f/1.4 with no auto focus so I expect to miss the focus a bit while I get a feel for it.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Happy birthday!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to AmyWho

I'd like to do this as well, I take a ton of photos every month, but I could use some skill refinements

Veteran
In response to SJB1120

I would be interested! But I do have a history of intending to do something like this but then life takes over and the deadline is passed before I know it.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to GeraldFagan

Yeah, I'm not always the best when it comes to deadlines either. But, lately I've really been needing to take time to do things I want to do for a break from life, and I thought this would be a good kick in the rear to get me to do that and learn/improve.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-09-13 12:32 PM

Happy late birthday.Enjoy your new lens.
Is it a prime?

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-09-13 12:47 PM

I'm still having issues so I called them & left a message(closed today).For now the picture is the first one in my Gallery if you would like to see it.Maybe I'll get a call on Monday.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Bev1

• Bev1 Said:
Happy late birthday.Enjoy your new lens.
Is it a prime?

Thanks! I got a Samyang 85mm f/1.4. It's been rated higher image quality wise than Canon's 85mm f/1.2 L and is a fraction of the cost. It actually runs about $100 less than Canon's 85mm f/1.8. The catch is it's all manual. No AF and an aperture ring. Which is how I used to shoot so it's no big deal for me, but that scares a lot of people off.

And y'all don't worry about the deadlines. There are none really. Just shoot when you can, post when you can, go back to old assignments if you want. No pressure. I just wanted to make this about sharing, learning, and working on our craft.

Edited by photo_chick on 02-09-13 12:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

Bev1, I like your cool bean looked focused to me. What a cute logo, I'd like to see it at night with those lights on it. I would also like to go to Mt. Ranier sometime. maybe someday for a long roadtrip.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-12-13 02:56 PM
In response to AmyWho

Thanks.They have the best Lattes.Any time your in the area I would be glad to take you up Mt.Rainier...love it up there plus lots of photo ops too!Ane we won't forget our Lattes.
Mountain winter By Bev1

Edited by Bev1 on 02-25-13 06:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

Ok

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-13-13 10:43 AM
In response to AmyWho

Took this (actually about 7 that I deleated)of my dogs this morning. manuel focus muff & biscuit By Bev1

Edited by Bev1 on 02-25-13 05:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I haven't ditched this.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to AmyWho

Here's one. Kinda boring but...I tried to focus on the tower right tower thingy.
construction By Amesl

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-23-13 05:55 PM
In response to AmyWho

Looks in focus to me.Nice shot.

Photo of Latte stand By Bev1

Edited by Bev1 on 02-25-13 05:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

Yay, you got your photos to work here! What cute dogs. I have a very hard time getting any of mine focused where I want. Plus, he's white and I have trouble with that. When the weather gets nice I will have to work on it, actually action in general.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 02-26-13 08:52 AM
In response to AmyWho

These 2 girls are fast (they think they are) and I have deleted more than I've kept.I've tried panning,cookie bribery you name it.In the end its always up to them.Some times I get the photo sometime its a big blurr.Oh isn'that what this thread is about?:)

croppincrystie
Guru
croppincrystie
In response to Bev1

Has this thread died off? I just got a t4i and could use yhd support, ideas knowledge, ect. I went from a point and shoot to this and I'm overwhelmed!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 03-24-13 03:33 PM
In response to croppincrystie

I don't think its died off. Photo chick will be back to give us another assignment (I think(:).)She's just out playing with her new lens.

Veteran
In response to Bev1

Croppin, dslr's are great cameras but if you dont know how to use a camera manually then its not going to give you much better results than a point and shoot.

I would recommend taking a class or finding a good book on that, then it wont seem as overwhelming. Plus the pictures you take will be that much better. Automode tends to set the shutter speed to slow causing motion blur, knowing how to not do that in manual is a big step towards better pictures.

Tenant
In response to GeraldFagan

Hey guys, I would love to join. I can not promise keeping up with the thread though due to uni work.

I got a new Nikon D5100 SLR camera off my bf for our 2 year anniversary last week. So far this is the shot is pin pointed to focus.

[image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/805471/view /3901971/-1/1.html[/image]

The quality has dropped dramatically from uploading but I hope you can get the gist's.

pupulv 
New Kid On the Block
In response to AmyWho

share us some photos you take~~~

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to AmyWho

first let me say I love this thread!! I think it has so many views (over 1000) but only 30 replies maybe you could start out with more a general shoot as in above, below, or straight on subject. like the first post said most cameras have auto focus so that is pretty easy to master maybe something form different angles would draw some out... i really like the idea of this thread though just think it maybe getting some in the wrong spot.....

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 06-23-13 06:39 PM
In response to simplycrafty

Since I haven't heard back from photochick lets carry on. For starters I will suggest the next
"assignment" to be lines. Any takers? We have until the 5th of July. Everyone ok with this?
The next one is up for grabs.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I want to but can't take photos right now, had hand surgery. It might be a while yet. I'll check in though! Thank you, Bev1 for trying to keep this going. I hope photochick is ok...

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 06-25-13 10:21 PM
In response to AmyWho

As I said, haven't heard from photochick and I am
concerned. Hopefully she is well.
Hopefully I will get out this week and take a couple pics. Unfortunately the 400 plus photos I took in N.C. don't have any lines that I could use
for this assignment so I'll have to do some searching. Hope the rest of you will post some soon.
Take care & happy photo taking.
Amesl take care and hope to see you back real soon

Edited by Bev1 on 06-25-13 10:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 07-01-13 12:47 PM
In response to Bev1

Ok, I have posted my line pics in my gallery. Can't seem to get them posted in this forum. Good luck with yours!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I like the one of the slide. So many lines with the shadows and all. I like the curves too.

So funny, since you posted the assignment, I've been seeing lines EVERYWHERE!

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 07-01-13 05:17 PM
In response to AmyWho

Thanks. and yes I have been seeing a lot of lines in many things. Sometimes we just have to look a
little harder. Your right, their everywhere.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 07-07-13 05:10 PM
In response to Bev1

Well, still haven't heard from croppin chick. Didn't have much response to the assignment so I'm thinking no one is interested so we should close this thread. If anyone has any ideas or would like to continue it send me an email
Happy pictures.!

New Kid On the Block
In response to AmyWho

Does anyone has experience in wildlife photography?

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 08-16-13 06:09 AM
In response to jeffrey_silva

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I was in the hospital. I'm back. Wildlife would be an interesting topic & shoot. Shall we try wildlife? Anyone interested?

Edited by Bev1 on 08-16-13 06:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I hope you're feeling better, Bev1. I spent a couple of weeks in the hospital a few months ago myself. Yuck.

I don't know if I'll be going out soon, but I took these a couple of weeks ago.

birding By Amesl
birding By Amesl
wildlife By Amesl
wildlife By Amesl
frog By Amesl

Sorry they're so small. I don't understand resizing so they'll be big enough here but will still upload. Sigh.

Edited by Amesl on 08-16-13 08:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 08-17-13 06:50 AM
In response to AmyWho

Amesl they are really good shots. Especially the frog.
I have to get out & shoot some wildlife.
Your right, hospital stays are no fun.
Now I have to take a drivers test to make sure my
reflexes are safe enough to drive. That will be in about two weeks. Not looking forward to it.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

Thank you. One of my favorite things to do is spend the day at wildlife refuge. It's so relaxing whether you see anything or not.

I hope your driving test goes well.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 08-18-13 11:09 AM
In response to AmyWho

Thanks Amesl. The test is a week of so away. The State will notify me when & where. My daughter is coming after church & we are going to see if we can find any critters. I know, bad time of day to go.
Do you shoot with a friend of by yourself?

Edited by Bev1 on 08-18-13 11:10 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I don't usually end up going at the best times either. My dad goes with me. He doesn't shoot but he's patient waiting for me and he helps me out with some things.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 08-21-13 09:05 AM
In response to AmyWho

I've been trying to post pictures to this forum but the paste isn't working. It isn't highlighted like all the rest. Any ideas as to why?
TIA

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Bev1

I don't know

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 09-09-13 01:16 PM
In response to Bev1

Megan the paste still is not working! Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics