Username Post: Why Black and White!?        (Topic#1584789)
meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Hey all!
So I've noticed this trend with layouts lately and it is bothering me! I've seen so many Gorgeous layouts with beautiful colors and designs that use Black and White photos! I don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, B&W can look great with certain themes and color schemes, but I've seen them used with beautiful pastel colors, or bright, vibrant colors and it just doesn't seem to fit. In my opinion, a layout should accent the photo and highlight it. So when you have bright colors and a B&W photo, your eye wants to focus on the colorful embellishments rather than the photo.
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-02-13 11:31 AM
In response to meshell1104

A lot of my every day photos do not actually have the vibrant colors I wish they did. When I pair them up with gorgeous papers full of color, it tends to make the photo look really...dull. So when I can't enhance the photo to match the papers, I will sometimes go black and white. I'm not sure why others do it- I didn't realize it was a trend. This is just why I do. I really think I need a better camera though that captures color better.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to Vae

Definitely invest in a good Camera if you can! Photography and scrapping go hand-in-hand if you ask me. I try to build my layouts around the photo, so I look at the pictures and pull colors from them when choosing paper and color schemes. Like I said, B&W can look awesome, but I personally prefer colored photos.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady

I know that when what the people in the photo are wearing clashes with each other the scrapper will use b&w photos also.
Not sure why you are putting so much thought into what others do with their layouts.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to NMlady

because scrapping is an art for for many people, and it's just another artistic method,,,,,

the same way there are certain photographic methods, certain painting methods, etc, when you want a specific effect, you use a specific method.

I happen to like black and white photos,,,,,there's a certain crispness that isn't found in color photos, IMHO.

It's just different is all,,,,,,not right or wrong. There's no right or wrong way to scrap.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I think of it like everything else, it's a matter of taste and creatively what you like. I have a couple of B&W that I changed to sepia for LO's. But this does give me a good idea because some our old color photos that were taken in the 50's, are really really faded. Might just try B&W and see how they look.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

I love black&white photography.
I don't always use b&w photos for my layouts but I do sometimes.....
I use colour photos when I want the fall leaves to show, when I am showing off the colours in a birthday party, when I want to see the twinkle of the Christmas decorations etc....
Lots of times, the colour in a photo doesn't matter. B&W can look very sophisticated, clean, graphic....

Alison

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104
In response to NMlady

Like I said, B&W can look good. And I know there is no "right" or "wrong" way to scrap. I think about what other people do, because I often draw inspiration from others' work. That's basically what this entire website is about - sharing ideas and thinking about how other people approach the craft.
I didn't mean to offend anyone with this post, just wanted to know what the logic was behind using B&W photos more often than not, no matter what the theme/color scheme of the page...

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

The Logic is that people like them and want to use them, just like people want to use washi tape or stickles or Glimmer Mist. It's what's floating their boat that the moment.

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb

I like black & white photos. They actually look better on pages with color. It's really hard to do them on black and white paper, but they look awesome on red, teal, blue. Really any color

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to SherylEb

I agree that it's personal preference...well, except a lot of my "heritage" pics that are only available in b/w..well, some of those are sepia, I guess.

I would only worry about other scrappers choices, if I were hiring them to make me an album...then I would want it done according to my taste. I doubt I'll ever hire anyone to make me an album, though.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to justowen

To me it's just another art form to explore. I don't work with them often but sometimes I just get in the mood to do something different. I have seen some gorgeous layouts on here using black and white photos. They inspire me every day. I have also scrapped a lot of heritage photos and I think they look wonderful against a colorful backdrop of a scrapbook page.

Tenant
In response to olleharr

I have an amazing camera. I just love the look of black and white, and I think that some photos ALWAYS look better that way. I recently went to my cousin's wedding. The photos I took are so-so in colour but amazingly beautiful in black and white.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to PaperTulip

I just thought of another reason. I have noticed that sometimes if my photo is a little blurred and I still really like the photo I will make it black and white and it will be so much clearer. Something that just happened to me recently. So many reasons to use b&w!

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to olleharr

I think that it's an artistic choice. Sometimes a color photo can be lost almost in a colorful LO, but a b/w photo against all that color just pops and highlights the photo.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to meezerpleaser

And for some people, the scrapping is more about the art than the actual picture or preserving a story.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to meezerpleaser

Why black and white? Why not? I love B&W photography, as do many people. I never think a layout is ruined because a B&W photo was used, or because stickles were used, or because washi tape was used, or because of anything. Every layout has it's own artistic and/or sentimental value to the creator. What other people think is irrelevant. I post my layouts here to share them. If some people are inspired by them, then great. If not, then oh well.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 02-02-13 06:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to Luvmyfam

I love black and white photos! I think they look great on a page.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to fknapoleon

I LOVE LOVE LOVE B&W photos. To me the photos really shine in B&W! My mom hates B&W so it is all preference. I think B&W are very arty!! A well done B&W photo is better than a really bright photo anyday!!!!!!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

• meshell1104 Said:
Hey all!
So I've noticed this trend with layouts lately and it is bothering me! I've seen so many Gorgeous layouts with beautiful colors and designs that use Black and White photos! I don't get it.
Don't get me wrong, B&W can look great with certain themes and color schemes, but I've seen them used with beautiful pastel colors, or bright, vibrant colors and it just doesn't seem to fit. In my opinion, a layout should accent the photo and highlight it. So when you have bright colors and a B&W photo, your eye wants to focus on the colorful embellishments rather than the photo.
Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I crazy for thinking that a great layout can be ruined by a B&W photo?

Yes.

Seriously, rule #1 in scrapbooking is there ARE no rules, have fun and do what you love!

Ive also turned a color photo to B&W to even out the varied colors of clothing so an otherwise great photo isnt distracted by possibly mismatched clothing.

Its one thing when I make the kids dress up coordinated for a pic, and another when i catch a great moment when they're in boring, plain clothes or the ugly dress from Grandma that we have to trot out once a year for posterity sake!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappyMama6

HEY HEY!!!!!!! GRANDMAS NEVER BUY UGLY DRESSES!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

I once read in a scrapbooking magazine that if you really wanted to use a particular paper line/ color scheme but your photo clashes with it, then convert the photo to black and white. Problem solved. I have not done this myself but have considered it many times, especially when my Christmas papers are red and green but my baby is wearing a purple/pink dress for her Christmas picture - not exactly a good match. Or maybe I should buy the paper that I like first THEN pick out her outfit to match the paper

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb

Teresa I do that too. Turn color photos into black and white. You get such a good luck at the subject, not just the colors and background.

Briannasmom
Queen
Briannasmom
In response to SherylEb

I think black and white rocks. a very good dear friend of mine took pics of me when i was preggo and some she turned black and white and they turned out amazing and she did the honor of doing pics of my girls for me and some she turned black and white amazing again.
to me its a different look at the pic and the color choices as far as pp and embellies ENDLESS.
I see lo's with black and white pics and i think AMAZING.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:

Clearly you're not MY DD's Grandma!!!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

The answer to your question is in your post.."In my opinion...." Well, it's just that. In your opinion using B & W photos on a colourful page doesn't work, but in may other people's it does obviously.

You might as well ask why does anyone choose to use 'X' brand of patterned paper because I don't like it

So while you're not crazy to think a B & W pic ruins a page, it is just your opinion and although you might not mean to offend I do think your tone is slightly derogatory.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrappercaz

Carolyn,

Mr. Craig looks smashing in B&W by the way.......

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography. Just arguing that in my OPINION it doesn't suite every color scheme. Obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion. Apparently I opened a can of worms with this post. So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! Jesus you people act like you've never looked at a page and thought, "oh I don't like the way they did X or Y but I like the rest." Which I know for a fact we all do! You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I personally love b & W and sepia on layouts!

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
Carolyn,

Mr Craig looks good in any color!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Sneezy1956

I found that when a person has a love for a certain creative style that they are proud of and use often, they do get a little defensive when someone critiques it in a negative way. When you post your constructive criticism you are bound to hear from other people who see things differently.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to olleharr

I don't think anyone meant to be rude or condescending,,,,,includi ng the OP. When online, it's best to remember there is no tone of voice,,,,,and take what people say assuming the BEST of intentions.

Having said that, however, the OP declared her opinion,,,,and so did everyone else. She asked WHY. She got the WHYs.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

So glad I saw this post! It made me finally figure out how to turn one of my photos from color into black and white. Of course the computer automatically saved it and I can't find it. lol But i'll try again and see if I can figure out where it's saving. I'm so not good at the computer stuff and photo editing. I take the pic and load it onto the computer and print them but anything past that and i'm lost.

but i'm looking forward to trying some black and white photos on my lo's!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to SherylEb

• SherylEb Said:
  • ScrappyMama6 Said:
Carolyn,

Mr Craig looks good in any color!

Divine isn't he! Glad you like the pic

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I have learned that telling someone they ruined their layout is like calling someone's baby ugly. I agree with Holly. You can have the best of intentions, but online chatting is one sided too often. That being said, I love color in my layouts and use it 98% of the time. Makes me happy. I am working on a black and white layout/photo right now of graduation and am finding it difficult. Not in my comfort zone.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I think that if you start off with a rubbish photo and surround it with beautiful crisp embellies then the photo looks even more rubbish, whether it is b&w or colour. OP, maybe that's what you saw? A photo which wasn't that special to start with?

I had a rubbish colour photo which I thought I would try to improve by turning it b&w. It didn't. The mid-tones were still too close.

I have seen a b&w photo with colour embellishments that made me go "oooooohhhhh I can't wait to try that". B&w can look incredibly classy.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

• meshell1104 Said:
Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography. Just arguing that in my OPINION it doesn't suite every color scheme. Obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion. Apparently I opened a can of worms with this post. So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! Jesus you people act like you've never looked at a page and thought, "oh I don't like the way they did X or Y but I like the rest." Which I know for a fact we all do! You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

I do think this at times, but I keep those thoughts to myself, in my head. I don't say/write them out loud because I know they would be offensive to the creator.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Luvmyfam

1. My camera is a cheap PS and I won't be getting a new one anytime soon.

2. Some folks are on design teams and have specific products to work with. That's when I took up the black and white photo trend- so that my photos would more easily match the product I was required to work with.

3. Someone else already pointed out that sometimes we're driven more by a product line we want to use instead of the photo. Inspiration to craft comes from many directions, not just a photo.

4. I see many projects and wonder "why?" But I don't feel the need to drag my entitlement and negativity to the forums. Simply asking how others feel about the trend would have been enough. Suggesting that a LO is ruined by a personal choice to use black and white is negative. In fact, I thought it was a great question and discussion topic, which is why I opened the thread. But the thread was ruined with a negative overtone.

5. My little boy wears lots of superhero theme clothes. I don't always want to scrap with superhero primary colors.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

• CommaHolly Said:

Sorry, but yes they do!!! Not all grandmas though - and I'm pretty darn sure you're not one of them.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scraprabbit

we buy toys and candy and make cookies,,,,,

no ugly dresses allowed

well, except for the time Grandma bought school uniforms because Mom couldn't afford them.

but NO OTHER TIMES

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I've bought my last granddaughter dress.

Her mom picked out a beautiful pink dress in the style of Shirley Temple at Macy's and she loved it, I shelled out the money and our granddaughter wore it once. Now it doesn't fit. She outgrew it before you could blink.

Then at Christmas I paid a good bit of money for a darling dress at Cracker Barrel. It was so cute - definitely a Christmas dress with two little scotty dogs appliqued on it.

She never put it on. We all went to my mother's house for Christmas and she had the baby in other pretty Christmas dresses but we never saw her in the one we bought so I'm done. THey can buy their own clothes.

In my opinion they could have at least put it on her to have a picture taken and send it to me. Then I would have know she liked it at least a little bit but there was never mention of it except when I asked her if she received it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Henri Jean

Henri,

Some times I find myself unable to have my DD wear everything she owns before she outgrows it, even if she loves it. Your DGD is little if I remember and growth spurts are hell-ish on a parent trying to keep a little one clothed when they seem to shoot up overnight!

MY MIL will often get the kids clothing, without asking if they need the item, and often (actually, almost all the time)I have TOTES full of clothes/shoes in larger sizes waiting for them as they outgrow current clothes. I am a thrift store/yard sale shopper and hit the stores all year long buying current and buying ahead. As well as having 4 older boys to hand down clothes to DS. So many times they will get new sweatshirts, etc... from Grandma without really needing them, especially because MIL is notorious for not asking me first what they need. I am appreciative of everything, as I suspect your DGD's parents are, but I dont always get a chance to wear everything on them before they outgrow it.

Id suggest making sure they can use it in that size, or offer to buy ahead for next season. And remember there's probably at least one other set of Grandparents wanting to spoil that little one by sending clothes too!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• meshell1104 Said:
Wow. Some of you all are taking this way too personally! I never said I hate B&W photography...... So I'm sorry if my constructive critisism of the craft I love offended you. But there is no need to act like I'm targeting you personally! ..... You're entitled to your opinion but I am JUST AS ENTITLED to mine!

You made it personal when you said in your OP that people 'ruin' LOs by using B&W photos - knowing that some of us here do that. And saying 'ruin it' isn't constructive critisism, it's just a negative opinion and it will make people defensive.

And SHOUTING never goes down well, it makes you appear aggressive. Yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion but when people don't agree they will say so. If you only wanted people who agreed with you to join in, well, you'll usually be disappointed on that one

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to SherylEb

Most times, making a good, perfect black and white photo is a LOT harder than coloured photo's. With black and white you have to think more about colours cause its gonna turn up in greyscale colours. When you use coloured clothes that are close together in colour range, it will turn up as a big grey blur.

Me personally, prefer Black and White more in photography. Things that noramlly would fade away, can be super enhanced in a Black and White photo and vise versa.

Plus, to me, scrapbooking is more about the photo than the things around it. You want yer photo to pop out. Everything else are accessoiries. I work with both, Black and White, Coloured and Sepia. Which ever I find best looking, is what I work with. I adjust the colours of the papers and embellishments to the photo. And sometimes, what someone elsewould find a bad photo cause the hue is too enhanced or too little, I find artistic. I have a few of me daughter, in Black and White, some are too dark n blurry n others are too light but super sharp. It are those photo's that I love best cause it often captures a moment much better.

Photo's and LO's are a person's personal choice and if others like it, thats great and if they dont, thats fine too. The LO's end up in someone's album for them to look at

I do understand your question tho but to be honest, Black and White never been out of fashion really....

Diva

It depends on the mood. ..but I prefer color thns black and white photos...unless is awedding album or professional taken photo...otherwise you will not see it in my scrapbookS!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bayamonesa1

Teresa - a lot of people sent clothes when my kids were little and my kids really didn't need them so I understand but I always put it on them anyway and snapped a few pictures to send the gift giver. It made them feel good.

She had commented to me that she needed a Christmas dress and dropped a dozen hints so I bought her one. She wore a Christmas dress on Christmas eve and one on Christmas day since she had two other Christmas dresses. Since they spent Christmas with my side of the family, seems she could have found 5 minutes to wear it.

The mother bought the other two after I sent my gift, guess she found something she liked a little better.

The mother is one who will change the baby from one pretty outfit to another because she loves dressing the baby up in pretty clothes.

She bought 2 gorgeous dresses for her birthday, each one more expensive than anything I own and she had one her for before the cake and then cleaned her up and she had an after the cake. One was covered in delicate embrodery work which she had to have custom made.

But she specifically told me she needed a Christmas dress then bought 2 herself.

THe beautiful pink one was ridiculously priced but the mother picked it out herself and I paid for it. That was last spring. At least the one time she wore it I got pictures of her in it. I understand her outgrowing it and am glad she got to wear it once anyway.

I agree with everything you say - sometimes grandma's like me send more than they will ever wear but I've only bought clothes on a few occassions, once when my daughter-in-law picked it out (the pink one) and had to have it and once when she said she needed a Christmas dress.

I've told my son - keep track of every outfit you get for gifts and make sure you send the sender a picture of her wearing it. Even if she only wears it once. It makes the sender feel good.

I'm afraid to spend money buying clothes when we are together becuase she may find something she likes better and the dress that I've paid $30 or $40 for won't be worn.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

if that's the case, it doesn't sound like she NEEDS the clothes at all,,,,

when we went to my MIL's house, I always made sure my kids were wearing an outfit she bought them,,,,

sounds like simple ingratitude to me.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

Henri, I agree with Holly then. Sounds like she's ungrateful or so disorganized she doesn't know what she has.

Yep, save your money. Sorry she hurt your feelings.

meshell1104
Tenant
meshell1104

Okay let’s be clear: I never said that B&W ruins EVERY layout. All I meant was that I have seen it used in some layouts where it didn’t seem to fit the color scheme. Think of this: say, for example, that you absolutely LOVE a particular cut-out of rainbow colored balloons. So, since you love it so much, you want to use it in every layout. Some of the time it works, and looks great! But then sometimes the rainbow balloons will look awkward and out of place, because it doesn’t fit with the rest of the layout. That is what I mean about B&W photos: that it doesn’t always fit into the layout.

I have seen so many people say that scrapping is an art so there are no rules. But honestly, there are rules to every type of art!
In pen or pencil drawings you have to use contrast, dark and light / shadow and highlights so that the picture doesn’t look flat.
In paintings you have to paint the background first, then work your way to the foreground.
In sculptures you have to create a balance so that the piece doesn’t topple over and fall.

And the first rule I learned about scrapping was to glue last!
Over time, I’ve learned other rules, too. Like the best places to put your photo so it captures the eye first (This one was actually in the scrapbook.com 25 scrap lessons emails!) Or, how to use layers to make the page more interesting. I learned to keep with a consistent color scheme through the page and so on and so forth. I know a lot of you use these same rules (whether you consider them “rules” or not) because I see these reoccurring techniques in others’ work.

Anyway, I’m done arguing the point and defending myself from strangers. Because the latest rule I’ve learned is NEVER, under any circumstances, critique anything on Scrapbook.com!
I sincerely hope you all have a great day!
Cheers

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

To me the joy about this art is that I don't have to follow any rules cause I'm the only one I need to please with my layouts. I may not like everybodies layouts but that doesn't mean they did it wrong. It's all a matter of taste.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• meshell1104 Said:
Okay let’s be clear: I never said that B&W ruins EVERY layout. All I meant was that I have seen it used in some layouts where it didn’t seem to fit the color scheme. Think of this: say, for example, that you absolutely LOVE a particular cut-out of rainbow colored balloons. So, since you love it so much, you want to use it in every layout. Some of the time it works, and looks great! But then sometimes the rainbow balloons will look awkward and out of place, because it doesn’t fit with the rest of the layout. That is what I mean about B&W photos: that it doesn’t always fit into the layout.

I have seen so many people say that scrapping is an art so there are no rules. But honestly, there are rules to every type of art!
In pen or pencil drawings you have to use contrast, dark and light / shadow and highlights so that the picture doesn’t look flat.
In paintings you have to paint the background first, then work your way to the foreground.
In sculptures you have to create a balance so that the piece doesn’t topple over and fall.

And the first rule I learned about scrapping was to glue last!
Over time, I’ve learned other rules, too. Like the best places to put your photo so it captures the eye first (This one was actually in the scrapbook.com 25 scrap lessons emails!) Or, how to use layers to make the page more interesting. I learned to keep with a consistent color scheme through the page and so on and so forth. I know a lot of you use these same rules (whether you consider them “rules” or not) because I see these reoccurring techniques in others’ work.

Anyway, I’m done arguing the point and defending myself from strangers. Because the latest rule I’ve learned is NEVER, under any circumstances, critique anything on Scrapbook.com!
Cheers

but there are different ways to contrast,,,,,,different ways to show shadow and highlight.

I don't honestly think you meant any harm,,,,but to be fair, put yourself in someone else's shoes,,,,,

do you know how many times I've watched people say "why do people put so much junk around a single picture? it looks awful!"

well, in THEIR opinion it DOES look awful,,,,in MINE, it does NOT.

I saw someone once call flower filled LO's "Prima sneezes",,,,,,and suggest all someone did to create these LO's is to toss flowers in the air and glue them where they fall,,,,

there's nothing further from the truth,,,,,,,sometimes HOURS are spent finding or making the perfect flowers,,,,,,arranging and re-arranging, etc.

so although I understand your right to an opinion,,,,,please understand the hurt that some people might have felt.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• meshell1104 Said:

Cheers

Perhaps the rule you might like to remember is that critique isn't usually welcome unless it's asked for.

If you want to start a nice, interesting and friendly discussion you might consider how you phrase your thoughts and questions so it doesn't sound like "What a lot of you do looks awful to me!! Discuss."

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

Plus, I've noticed that when you get on here and ask for people's opinion, you usually get it. LOL!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Specifically, if you're going to put in your post a line like this:
  • meshell1104 Said:

...if you're going to outright ask questions like that, you really should be prepared for answers from all over the spectrum of agreement, including answers exactly the opposite of what you're hoping for.

This seems to happen every few months, someone posting a provocative question with the expectation that everyone will agree with them, and it always ends similarly to this... often with the OP claiming they are done with us and these forums.

In short, if you don't want answers like that, don't ask questions like that.

tellabling
New Kid On the Block
tellabling

I love B & W and Sepia tone photos. I use them most when I want a vintage look in my projects.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to SherylEb

What a coincident to find this thread...I just today was fooling around with a photo of my dd and tried b/w and I really like it better that way so printed it up. It looks more dramatic.
And I printed out a pic of my other dd in sepia ..it was taken at Christmas but I didn't want the emphasis on Christmas so I tried b/w..didn't like it and tried sepia and love it...scrapped it that way.
It's a matter of taste or as Lisa said sometimes making a fuzzy color photo black and white improves its clarity.
I think b/w looks great with pastels or bright colors...not too much browns and beiges.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Specifically, if you're going to put in your post a line like this:
  • meshell1104 Said:

...if you're going to outright ask questions like that, you really should be prepared for answers from all over the spectrum of agreement, including answers exactly the opposite of what you're hoping for.

This seems to happen every few months, someone posting a provocative question with the expectation that everyone will agree with them, and it always ends similarly to this... often with the OP claiming they are done with us and these forums.

In short, if you don't want answers like that, don't ask questions like that.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

MaryScraps
New Kid On the Block
MaryScraps

meshell1104,

The reason varies for why people scrap in B&W.

It may be the picture was not in color to begin with.

The colors in the photo may be distracting to what is happening in the photo. Or distracting of focusing on the subject in the photo.

So, it is a method of of bringing focus to the person or what they are doing in the photo.
Rather then being distracted by the colors going on in the photo.

For example someone may be wearing a green shirt and pants. Let's say the photo was taken outside with a green lawn and foilage in the background.
It creates a washout of the subject in the photo. If you want to bring the subject into focus in the photo you would need to change the photo to B&W because their clothing blends to much with background colors. Therefore losing the reason you took the photo in the first place at capturing a moment to be remembered.

You may also have several subjects in the photo that are wearing clashing colors. Then it just looks awkward. So this would be another reason to change the photo to B&W. Because you want to capture the moment and the clashing colors distract from that moment.
But, then again it may be the whole purpose of the photo on how everyone's clothing clashed at an event. Then you wouldn't want to go with a B&W print.

I went through the gallary here to get ideas of how people are using colors with B&W. I think everyone has done a wonderful job chosing their colors to compliment and draw focus to the B&W photo's and the subjects in them.

So it is not persay a rule or trend but a method of presenting and bringing into focus the subject or subjects in the photo's.

HTH
~Mary~

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MaryScraps

I've seen more arguments FOR scrapping in B&W with colour embellishments in this thread than objections to it. I love all these ideas - I might have another go at it.

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to RedSquirrel UK

This is the photo I changed to b/w. The one I turned to sepia is in my gallery called BFF. I love color photos but sometimes I just like something different...this photo to me begged to be changed to b/w. My dd likes it.

Cherish (Swirlydoos) By Dollscrap

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb
In response to dollscrap

Very pretty page. Love the colors you used.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to SherylEb

I agree that it's a beautiful LO. The colors are so pretty, but if a colored photo were used, it seems like it would be a bit lost. Like most have said...some LOs beg for color, while others seem better with BW or sepia.

Does anyone have examples of other colorized photos used on pages...maybe blue-tints for underwater or green for nature...or brown for kids and their mud :>) ? Sounds like another fun technique to play around with~Judy

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to mrsdriver5

I don't have one like that Judy but funny you should mention it. My 6 year old niece had me take silly photos of her in the tub last time she was here and then she stood over my shoulder and told me exactly how to edit them She wanted them all blue like she was under the water. Funny, she knew exactly what she wanted to go with her whale stickers and fish embellishments. Can't wait to see what she comes up with.

I have been playing around with black and white photos with a color focal point lately. This is my latest. I really love focal coloring.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-12-13 11:32 AM
In response to olleharr

Lisa that is beautiful!

I have a couple that I'm using in my wedding album where the roses are the only color. Roses for my bouquet, my husband's flower, and the cake had roses on it too. I also did a few where it's all black and white except the eyes, or one small element of the photo. I LOVE that look. Sooo pretty!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Vae

I hated the banner trend when it started. I thought lots of people were "ruining" their LOs with those ridiculous banners.

The banner makes an appearance on a good majority of my LOs and cards these days.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to runzalot81

I didn't get banners either,,,,,,

now I have several banner dies

Love the kitchenaid mixer LO! With as much money as people spend on those things, you want to remember it

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap

I wasn't too excited about banners at first either but they make their way on to quite a few of my layouts.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to dollscrap

I love black and white photos, and sepia. Besides the nostalgic feel, black and white photos force me to focus more on the subject and less on any distractions. Also, if you use a black and white photo on a layout with lots of color, it makes the photo stand out a lot more.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Crafting Marfa

Lisa, that lo is gorgeous!

*raises hand* with the banners. I didn't like them at first, but now I love them. There are other trends that I have had the same relationship with, too. I can't even think of which ones they are now!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-12-13 09:13 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

What are these banners? I wanna see!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

I have always liked the banners. Not sure which trend I haven't liked, I liked them all! - flowers, butterflies, owls, trees, fences, circles, steampunk, buttons, brackets, brads, glitter, paint, mists, tearing, distressing, doodling, dolies, ribbone and fibers, and well y'all help me here. What other trends can we remember?

Here is the first banner I made, at least I think it was the first.

Kaitlin By Rockmom

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to rockmom

I too did not like banners much when I first saw them, my mind did not wrap around it, but now, I use them a lot! Just goes to show you can't count anything out.

I did a layout recently with a b&w pic because it is grainy and I wanted it to be bigger:

~Caress~ Swirlydoos RR By Manda_K

Banners:

Cherish ~Swirlydoos~ By Manda_K

ALSO a b&w pic. I use b&w a lot.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics