Username Post: Megan we need you - Strange PM        (Topic#1585417)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Did anyone else get a strange PM this morning? I got one from someone named "Miriam" who says she looked at my profile with great interest and to please email her at a yahoo address.

Said she had news to tell me.

She signed it, "Very much love, Miriam". (I only know one person named Miriam and she has my email address and this was written in very broken English. My friend, Miriam, did not send this.

I have a feeling she wants to tell me about a uncle in Nigeria who has a million dollars to give away if I help him or something along that line. I just deleted it out.

Anyone else get anythng like this?

AuntyT
AuntyT 
Governor
AuntyT
In response to Henri Jean

I'll get random comments on layouts like that which are annoying!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to AuntyT

It is annoying but this came into my private messages. The person said they were from Miami but then said she read my bio which says I am from Miami.

Then they posted the email address for me to respond. I don't think so!

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman

Hubby gets those all the time..so annoying!

Somewhere in Time
Mayor
Somewhere in Time

I got the same pm as well.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Somewhere in Time

Miriam2life got the same spam......how do we report this person?

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to PhotobearSam

Maybe you could report the person to Megan. She's the forum tech. She always mops up the spam topics here in the forums, so maybe she can do something about that person. Here's the link to Megan's profile: http://www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?u=30498

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PhotobearSam

I think we need to tell Megan. I'll see if I can find her. Or I will just add her name to the top of the post - she always finds posts when we need her.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-23-13 10:34 AM

Maybe you can "report" this post so she'll see it?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I posted the same time you did Cathy so I didn't see it. But I changed the title on the thread to call Megan so she will be here.

Just curious to those who have received the same private email - did she personally mention your town in the private message? If so, she or he is doing their homework.

I deleted the first one out and have received another one from her.

Very much love?????

Somewhere in Time
Mayor
Somewhere in Time

No she did not mention my town......I can't believe you got another message!

AuntyT
AuntyT 
Governor
AuntyT
In response to Somewhere in Time

Oh blast now I got one too! I just deleted it!

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to AuntyT

didn't get a pm but it posted in one of the chat forums im in.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to andrea m

I just checked my bio and Miami is not mentioned anywhere but the private message did mention Miami. I grew up in Miami and lived there for 21 years! I've mentioned that from time to time on the boards so they had to be lurking around in dark corners around here to come up with that information.

That is just creepy. She message said she had reviewed my bio and was interested in getting to know me. I just checked and I never got around to posting a bio so there is no info about me there. They had to be lurking and collecting information.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

What did "it" say on the chat forums Andrea? We the message like the ones we are getting?

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m

yes the same thing wierd asking to email her that she wants to get to know blank. much love

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to andrea m

this is what it said

Hi Dear
I am Mariam! how are you! hope you are fine and in perfect condition of health.I went through your profile in and i read it and took interest in it,if you don't mind i will like you to write me on this ID:([email protected]) hope to hear from you soon,I will be waiting for your mail because i have something to tell you.
Lots of love .
Mariam
mariam.john4u @ y a h o o . c o m

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to andrea m

I haven't gotten those here on sb.com, but I have gotten them through other message forums that I'm on. annoying and creepy, though I also don't think any of them have mentioned personal info about me like in your message.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Tina scraps

This is word for word what I got this morning except she said she was from Miami. That isn't in my bio so how did she know I lived in Miami unless she's been lurking here.

The second email is word for word what you got but she didn't mention Miami.

She even addressed me as "dear".

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Megan will probably be here on Monday. This isn't emergency so I hope she is having a nice relaxing weekend - she works hard taking care of us. I'm sure she will block this person when she is back at scrapbook.com on Monday.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I feel special cause I got one too. lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

You are special too Linda!

BoysKeoghMom
Veteran
BoysKeoghMom

I have received one of those from here and a couple on CSI.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to BoysKeoghMom

Hi People..Guess who else got a pm of her

Anne x

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 02-24-13 06:35 AM
In response to Besneys

I don't get those here but you should see the ones like it that I get on my work email! wowie zowie!

If nothing else they are a great way to get a virus on you machine.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

Henri:

Maybe this person just saw your signature where you say you live in Ocala, Florida. How close is your town to Miami?

Resident
In response to jaspernonyx

ok firstly, this could be a scam. the reason these types ask you to email them @such and such is to capture your email address... or as someone else said... a good way to spread a virus... DO NOT EMAIL this person/s.

secondly a good way to check if it is a scam is to google search the email address given in this format "email addy" and see what comes up... usually you will find mention of a scam.

yes it feels creepy like someone is watching you... but its not personal, as you can see they are sending it out to everyone....ignore any msg's from this person and/or report it to the admin here... the main thing is not to email this person/s.... hope that helps a bit

dancinirish90
Angel
dancinirish90
In response to dee.is.me

I got it too, but didn't open it so I don't know what it said. Deleting... So creepy.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dancinirish90

I didn't email them - would never do that. Ocala is about 5 or 6 hours from Miami.

When I deleted her the first time in all probablity it alerted her that I check my pm box. Then she sent the identical message again but didn't mention Miami. I should waited until Megan blocks her before I deleted the message.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

yes, i got one too...word for word the same as above...with Hi dear as the tagline. I clicked on her name, and it took me to a yahoo website that said they couldnt find that name on scrapbook.com! usually when u click on someones name it takes you to their profile page! glad i didn't respond!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Juansmom

OK now I feel left out. I'm not special enough to get one!

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Should I send you one Rosey? But afraid it won't be a scam email? xx
Big hugs everyones special on this site x

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• RedSquirrel Said:

Me neither

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb

• RedSquirrel Said:

me too -

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to prittb

Banned 'em over the weekend, cleaned out gallery stuff, but never got over to the forums.

I've asked the development guys to scrub the PM's, but he/she/it was active for only a couple of hours before being banned.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Megan - ForumTech

"It" seemed to spread itself pretty well before it got blatted, didn't it? Thanks for all the mopping, guys.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

Not as bad as some, but enough. Boo.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

Thank you!!! My Yahoo mail account got hit earlier this month and wiped me off some vital stuff...I'd hate for my sb.com to be compromised too!!!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Juansmom

These are just irritating...not compromised. They're using the normal posting and PM systems.

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Never, ever, put anything on the internet unless you want possibly the whole world to know. This isn't a private little corner of cyberspace.

In general, I think people (especially teenagers) do not fully understand the potential ramifications of throwing personal business and pictures out on forums, facebook, twitter, and various other forms of social media.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to t-scraps

One concern I had about these emails was that they sound personal like they really had something personal or helpful to tell you and they gave you an email.

I'm smart enough not to click on the link and most her are smart enough not to but for those who don't know better - they may open their computer up for virus and spyware and who knows what else.

That is why I wanted the mopped, to keep an unsuspecting person from opening the email link.

Thanks Megan - perfect! You are awesome!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• Henri Jean Said:
This is word for word what I got this morning except she said she was from Miami. That isn't in my bio so how did she know I lived in Miami unless she's been lurking here.

The second email is word for word what you got but she didn't mention Miami.

She even addressed me as "dear".

that's not so hard to do... go to the forum search and enter "new york" or "florida" or "atlanta" or whatever - and you'll find people who mention in passing that they lived in atlanta for a couple years. I bet there is a post somewhere where you say you are a couple hours away from Miami. With the search engines being so powerful, the spammers don't need to lurk and wait for you to spill the secrets..
hugs to you - spam is creepy when it gets personal..

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to OlesyaK.

That's true but she only put a city with me - she didn't mention a location for anyone else. That is kind of creepy.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Henri—Maybe since you have Ocala, Florida in your signature...many spammers aren't going to be smart enough to figure out that there is more than one city in a state. They probably figured that if you live in Florida, of course you're right near Miami...everyone in Florida lives near Miami They probably don't have a clue where Ocala is.

I'm not special either. I've gotten lots of PMs lately, but all from people I've been chatting with on the threads. I get enough in my Junk folder in my regular e-mail, so I'm really not offended by being skipped in this go-round ~Judy

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

You are probably right Judy. Especially if someone is running SPAM from overseas - they probably think Miami takes up the entire state. They have probably never heard of Ocala!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy

I get tons of spammers sent to my Yahoo email. One time when I was offered millions (for only $295 ) I just couldn't help myself and I sent a reply asking if he/she thought I was a complete idiot. I couldn't help myself. No one ever replied. That seemed odd because the spammer dearly loved a loved one of mine.

Besneys
Guru
Besneys
In response to t-scraps

you know what t-scraps I totally agree. Two of my grands are on facebook ( with their parents knowledge) but I go mad at what they put on they are 13 and 11 its frightening.

Anne x

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Besneys

DH got loads of those e-mails that were going round a few years ago, saying that your relative has died in Nigeria and you are the sole inheritor of their estate. Just send us some money and we'll release the funds blah blah.

He responded saying that he would be in Nigeria very soon and would like to meet up with them to give his personal thanks to the person who had so kindly contacted him. He then said that he was wary of visiting their country since SO MANY of his relatives that he didn't even know he had, had died there and left money to him, but was willing to make the dangerous trip out of gratitude.

He got several responses back in broken English, full of misunderstandings, basically saying no, just give us your bank details, and he said please would they give HIM THEIR address and contact details so that he could visit and collect the money personally. End of contact. The exchange was quite hilarious.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• RedSquirrel Said:

He got several responses back in broken English, full of misunderstandings, basically saying no, just give us your bank details, and he said please would they give HIM THEIR address and contact details so that he could visit and collect the money personally. End of contact. The exchange was quite hilarious.

That's a funny story! I've never had a nerve to reply to them actually... because it actually confirms that someone is reading the email, they start sending you more!
once - relatively recently - I got a similar text, except it came in regular mail - envelope with my name, address, etc. on a very official looking letterhead with stamps and signatures saying something regarding a search for relatives for some rich dead guy in Spain. tossed it in the trash. two weeks later, my MIL got the same one - and she was all juiced up! she actually received a minor inheritance from a friend's will recently, and thought this one may be for real too.. yea right...

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to OlesyaK.

For a hilarious take on Nigerian scam emails, you might enjoy a novel called "E Squared" by Matt Beaumont; a character responding to one of those is one of the many subplots in a story about office wars and the advertising industry.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I think I would like that book Andrea, after so many years in the advertising industry I really enjoy that field.

I read a big article once of someone who followed through with the Nigeria article and actually went. He had to keep putting money out for the next step and ultimately it cost him about $50,000 but the more he invested the more he felt he needed to go forward to get back what he had put in, which of course, never happened.

The scam is totally illegal and he would up in prison there for mail fraud and all kinds of schemes. A real nightmare!

Seems it was in Reader's Digest many years ago but I'm not toally sure about that but that sounds like where I saw it.

Diva

I even get them through my work e-mail address! Even from "single women" who want to meet me????

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Henri Jean Said:
I think I would like that book Andrea, after so many years in the advertising industry I really enjoy that field.

Awesome. E Squared is actually a sequel to a previous book with some of the same characters, just called "E" (for email). The first book is told entirely through e-mail exchanges, and the second book is told by emails but also by text messages, chat transcripts, and blog posts.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Then I will start with "E". Do you know if it is on Kindle. We are getting ready to leave again and I can't take stacks of books - I rely on my Kindle when we are travelling although I read books at home.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Oh, sadly I don't think it is. The second one is, but not the first, sorry.

There's a bit of language and some naughty situations, but you tour former brothels for fun, you'll be fine.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-26-13 11:15 AM
In response to aquabunny

When you go on amazon's site, for any "print only" books that aren't available in kindle, there is a teeny tiny link on the right side that says "I'd like to read this book on Kindle". When you click the link, it sends a message off to let them (I don't know who, the publisher I guess) know. I don't know if it's pure coincidence, but 2 of the books that I've clicked that link for are now available. Worth a shot

Veteran
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
There's a bit of language and some naughty situations, but you tour former brothels for fun, you'll be fine.

LOL (I think I might read it myself!)

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to SunnyAB

aquabunny and Henri!

Esa, I get about 5 every day asking if I want to cheat on my husband. Sometimes my wife. I've stopped getting the ones advertising the enlargement of my male member though. Shame. They were the funniest.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

• RedSquirrel Said:
aquabunny and Henri!

Esa, I get about 5 every day asking if I want to cheat on my husband. Sometimes my wife. I've stopped getting the ones advertising the enlargement of my male member though. Shame. They were the funniest.

Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

I have gotten those same emails, and I always think to myself, if I ever even had half a thought to cheat on my hubs, why would I do it by contacting some stupid email? LOL!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• RedSquirrel Said:
aquabunny and Henri!

I get scads of those. Unless I really missed something....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • RedSquirrel Said:
aquabunny and Henri!

I get scads of those. Unless I really missed something....

See, I'm not special enough - again!

Can I borrow your mop Megan?

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Thanks! That's what I need. Lots of soap. Some people's minds need washing out, let alone their mouths.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech

• RedSquirrel Said:
Thanks! That's what I need. Lots of soap. Some people's minds need washing out, let alone their mouths.

Heh. There's not enough bleach in the world for some of 'em.....

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 02-27-13 02:16 PM

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
Heh. There's not enough bleach in the world for some of 'em.....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Vae

Sad, but so very true.

Hey, isn't Diet Coke supposed to bleach things?

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Besneys

Anne, at least the parents can see what they write. Many kids that aren't allowed to be on FB publicly will go under another name. They just have to open an email address their parents aren't aware of and boom- they are on. Then they can go on Twitter virtually undetected and really go wild. I see this all of the time with previous students. Sadly, kids are so much more advanced than their parents (even the ones that try to stay on top of their kids). All they need is a friend's phone or computer and a little encouragement. I tell ya' it is tough being a parent.

Jedco
Jedco 
Diva
Jedco
  • Jedco on 06-06-13 06:45 PM

I've had a very similar message from that same person, I deleted it too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics