Username Post: Getting Excited,,,,,        (Topic#1585703)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

DH bought me a Silhouette Portrait for my birthday,,,,,

and the upgrade to the software,,,,,,

and he will be getting me a subscription for the online Silhouette store,,,,,

and I can't WAIT,,,,,,,,,,

so tell me,,,,if you own a Silhouette,,,,,,,

what's your favorite part of owning one?????

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to CommaHolly

Congrats Holly!

Expert

Honestly??? Giving the answer to the question of "What is that?" when people see my Cameo at a crop..."It's like a Cricut...but better...no carts." Hee Hee!

But seriously, I just love being able to cut what I want when I want it. I have tons of fonts to pick from, a gazillion designs from the online store because of subscriptions, and I can import designs I find out there that I may want or need. I finally got my laptop hooked up to printer a couple of months ago so I've been having fun with finally being able to do Print & Cuts.

But if I had to pick one thing it would be cutting a 12x12 background design in the same CS as my base page CS for a really cool look!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to HuskerMom98

Congratulations Holly! I'm thinking about one too but I don't know. I've very jealous that you have one but happy for you too!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Henri Jean

I thought about it for a while too, Henri!!!

Husker Mom, mine doesn't cut 12x12,,,but since I only do cards, I'm pretty ok with that Might try that trick on a smaller scale for cards though!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

My fave would be the online store and all that it offers. I can spend hours looking through it!
Love being able to print and cut and the fact that its so darn easy (and accurate ).
And of coarse the fact that it cuts cleaner than my Cricuts.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ChansGram

I heard that it cuts cleaner, Trish,,,,and that it's good for highly detailed stuff,,,which is good, because a lot of what I like is highly detailed LOL

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to ChansGram

Oh and also because I can use all my SVGs using my
Make the Cut software!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ChansGram

I wanted MTC, but it's not supported by or doesn't support the Portrait,,,,so I'm getting the Silhouette design edition,,,,,,

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• CommaHolly Said:

YEAH MISS HOLLY!!!!!!! CONGRATS !! He is only buying it to make up for all of the messes he makes.

I have one on my wishlist now since I saw some of the cute stuff. I showed dh yesterday & said I wanted one. I also told him that I used to paper piece by hand. I loved doing it. Since I am older... I do not feel that way anymore.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

• CommaHolly Said:

YEAH MISS HOLLY!!!!!!! CONGRATS !! He is only buying it to make up for all of the messes he makes.

I know you will enjoy it! !!

I have one on my wishlist now since I saw some of the cute stuff. I showed dh yesterday & said I wanted one. I also told him that I used to paper piece by hand. I loved doing it. Since I am older... I do not feel that way anymore.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to anda11

Congratulations!

I love being able to design and cut my own titles (welding letters, adding letters to shapes etc.)
I love being able to sketch with the sketch pens directly onto my cardstock..
I love being able to shop in the online store and get whatever design I want IMMEDIATELY!
I love being able to cut adhesive, vellum etc. into whatever shape I want!
I love being able to make, print and cut my own journal cards, ATCs etc..

There are so many reasons to love a Silhouette....you will love it too!

Alison

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
Congratulations!

I love being able to design and cut my own titles (welding letters, adding letters to shapes etc.)
I love being able to sketch with the sketch pens directly onto my cardstock..
I love being able to shop in the online store and get whatever design I want IMMEDIATELY!
I love being able to cut adhesive, vellum etc. into whatever shape I want!
I love being able to make, print and cut my own journal cards, ATCs etc..

There are so many reasons to love a Silhouette....you will love it too!

Alison

ALL of the above!!

Plus I love being able to cut punch-like borders without all that pesky punching.

I love being able to cut flourishes and shapes even with Grungepaper! Yippee!!

Plus, with the Designer Edition software, you can use any .svg file.

I have used it on almost every layout since I bought it.

HAPPY HAPPY!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Manda_K

now I'm getting REALLY excited!!

LOL,Linda,,,,,,

my husband knows the way our home goes,,,,,,

Crafty Wife=Happy Life!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

well that is true in many homes.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

LOL all of the above too! I haven't used mine lately. I ought to get it out again. Enjoy your new toy!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to RedSquirrel UK

IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!!!!!!

a day early,,,,,,,

and the silhouette server is down, so I can't cut any of the lovely new shapes I just bought!

I mean, that's my kinda luck!!!!!!!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

WHOOHOO Holly. I am so glad it is here. I am so sorry about the site being down. I was looking at the images & it was having problems loading some pages. Oh well..you could always clean. lol

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to anda11

ACKKKKKKKK! CLEAN??????????

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND???????????

have your husband take your temperature,,,,,CLEAN when there's a brand new toy in the house???????

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

Awesome!! And a day early too!!
I was wondering why I was having such a hard time browsing and ordering images today.
Can't wait to here how you like/love it!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to ChansGram

I have a Silhouette Cameo had it since September. One thing I have is just being able to cut some nice plain shapes and not worrying about hand cutting a certain shape anymore!
I also enjoy looking through the online store for neat looking images. I like the free shapes every tuesday and try to remember to be able to look and see what free shape they might have. It is an awesome machine.

Justie

lcalderone
Resident
lcalderone
In response to justartguy007

Congrats! Ditto to all the posts raving about this machine. You made a great choice. I have the 12", but the smaller would be nice for smaller spaces & portability.

Being an electronic junkie, I have several major die cutting machines, including a commercial heavy duty large format machine. The Cameo is the machine I use as my primary machine. It wins hands down in print 'n cut function, intricate cuts, smooth cutting even when the mat needs adhesive, drawing & cutting, ease of use, and I love the designer software. The software is proprietary (.studio) but that's not an issue for me, because I can convert anything using software skills to svg or other vector formats if needed. Since I'm primarily making cards lately, my other machines are gathering dust since my Cameo arrived on the scene.

In short, I'm totally in love with the Cameo. It wins in all areas with the exception of being able to cut heavy mediums such as medium to heavy weight chipboard, balsa wood, thin metal, or cuts larger than 12x12.
Products Referenced in This Post:

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to lcalderone

• lcalderone Said:

In short, I'm totally in love with the Cameo. It wins in all areas with the exception of being able to cut heavy mediums such as medium to heavy weight chipboard, balsa wood, thin metal, or cuts larger than 12x12.

Again, the Cameo CAN cut grungepaper (I've done it, on the "coverstock" setting) and it can cut chipboard. The latest version of the software comes with a chipboard setting and Silhouette came out with their own chipboard at the winter CHA show.......
I've also seen settings (on the website) for thin metals and wood veneers, although I haven't tried those myself...

Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kiyawinn

I was told that the Cameo can only cut Silhouette's chipboard,,,,,,it's supposedly a special kind,,,,,,,,IDK how true that is or not.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to kiyawinn

Good morning all,

I'm considering buying the Silhouette (am a current owner of a Cricut Expression, utilizing SCAL2). I'm trying to get my head wrapped around how the Silhouette would cut a specific image from the Silhouetteonline Store. If one of you owns (has purchased the image) and could give me your feedback please - it is the image 'Echo Park Star Icon'. The file contains what looks like paint splatters. I just purchased 5 ds Echo Park 'Boy' papers online here at SB.com's site. This image is complimentary to the paper. Thanks so much - keep a smile M.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Momto3infinity

That image is a "print and cut" image.
You would send the image to your printer first, then put the printed image through your machine and it would cut around it, using the registration marks....

Alison

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
That image is a "print and cut" image.
You would send the image to your printer first, then put the printed image through your machine and it would cut around it, using the registration marks....

Alison

Thanks Alison, you answered my Q. I was trying to figure out how the little splatters would be dealt with by the machine. So as I understand it, the Silhouette will just cut around the entire image once, not several little cuts like a Cricut would do when dealing with an .svg file.

Thanks,
Michelle

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Momto3infinity

Michelle, with that particular image, yes...
Not all images are print and cut.
If the image has a little "P" underneath it, you print first, then cut.
Other images are totally cut out....

Alison

Expert
In response to kiyawinn

...and Echo Park designs! Another reason I love my Cameo. Just wish they'd get Simple Stories designs...then I'd be in heaven!

And yes, it's very annoying when the store isn't working right. I've come to expect it when they are having huge sales (like every design 50% off for the week or two after Black Friday), but when there's no visible/known reason it's just frustrating!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to HuskerMom98

Apparently, they are currently changing over servers,,,,,and having some difficulties and bumps in the road,,,,

MoonLitSmile
Veteran
MoonLitSmile
In response to ChansGram

I've been on the fence about the Silhouette but you guys may have just pushed me over to it!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MoonLitSmile

DO.IT.

Love mine,,,,,,took a couple days to figure out the program, figure out a cutting problem,,,,,,

but I had that same frustration with the cricut,,,,,,it just takes a few days,,,,

but,,,,,,,,,,,DO.IT.

really, you will love it!!!!!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

Happy Birthday Holly!!
Hope you enjoy your day and get to spend it with your new toy....oh yeah, and the people you love!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ChansGram

Thank you, Trish!!!!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Happy birthday from me too Holly!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to MoonLitSmile

• MoonLitSmile Said:
I've been on the fence about the Silhouette but you guys may have just pushed me over to it!

It is an amazing machine. BUY IT! There, you should feel shoved.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to 950nancy

Thank you, Rosey!!!!!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 03-09-13 05:47 PM

YAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to Vae

So super happy for you. You will loooove it. Happy Birthday to you.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to creater1

thank you ladies,,,,,,it was truly special

My son COOKED (even though it is HIS birthday too!) and my daughter made me a lovely handmade card (In addition to buying me craft supplies)

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to ChansGram

I had a Cricut Expressions first and switched to the Cameo, because I just couldn't force myself to buy the cartridges when I might only use it once or twice. I absolutely love it. I think my favorite feature is Print & Cut!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics