Username Post: PDF Part Deux        (Topic#1586731)
gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

Oh, golly, no. I was asking for here. I guess it's in the same place though. LOL

How are you feeling? Any better?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 02:24 PM
In response to Vae

Gin you're absolutely right... I feel the same way about advice from people who don't know me. Of course, I feel like I know everyone here but I should still engage my filter a bit more. LOL Stephanie, pay no mind to anything I say... I'm full of hot air most of the time anyway. LOL!

And I also agree, it's good to be able to take off from time to time even when you're married. We take spontaneous trips as often as we can. I wish I could go on a weekend trip with my girlfriends more often, but (and I hate to say it, but it's true) usually they can't because they're married with kids and have too many reasons not to go. But we do have quite a few "couple" friends that we'll go do stuff with. I only go down to his parents with him every other or every 3rd time he goes down. Enough that it's not causing an issue with his family, but not so much that I resent it and it gives me time to myself at home.

Feeling a little bit better... I had the shocker on for most of the afternoon and that's helped some. I have a muscle relaxer but it really knocks me out so I won't take it till later.

I just finished making a card that I am actually really happy with... and I don't say that often at all. Of course, now just looking over at it something's crooked but it's still pretty

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

I've got no problem at all with responsible parents taking care of their kids-LOL! I think if you commit to that you need to do a darn fine job of it.

It sounds like you've found that good balance of visiting with his family. It's one thing to not deliberately cause problems, but if you're miserable going all the time, I'm not sure how that's very healthy either. I know on the other side of it, I don't want somebody visiting me out of obligation. I'd much prefer they came to see me because they wanted to see me. And be duly impressed with my new embossing skills.

"I had the shocker on for most of the afternoon." Okay, that sort of sounds awful, but I'm glad it helped.

That's awesome about your card and "crooked" just means artistically placed. Yes, I'm absolutely certain of that.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to gin1902

Have you seen these stamps?

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to gin1902

I have seen background stamps before, I even have a few, but I haven't seen these particular ones. Thinking about getting yourself one or three?
Glad you're feeling a bit better, Vae, and I personally love the "shocker"! It always feels so good when they use that on me at the chiropractor.
Hi to everyone else!
I didn't get everything done that I had planned today, but then again I never do. Weekends are just not long enough!! Wish I could find a job with the same benefits but I only had to work 2 days a week, LOL!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to chocolateaxel

Well...I have all 5 of them in my wish list...LOL. No, not actually getting them, but they sure are pretty. I like that you could use them on any color of paper and have that patterned background look.

I've got my embossing and stamping stuff out and I'm going to give it a try on some vellum. Fire extinguisher is nearby and the stove is indeed off, so maybe the worst that'll happen is some curlage. LOL

I think if you found that job, you'd have a lot of competition for it! LOL!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to gin1902

Ooooooh, you're a braver soul than I am, embossing on vellum, lol! It is such a fragile paper, it scorches really quickly, you have to let me know how it turns out!
The biggest problem I have with the background stamps that I have, actually with just about any large stamp, is getting it inked well all over, I usually end up with at least one light spot. Makes me crazy!
And I don't want this to be an advertised job! I want someone to see that I'm so awesome that I only need to work 2 days a week, so they beg me to work for them, same pay and benefits, LOL!!! And then I wake up!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

No curlage at all! AND no scorching! I used my key stamp (it has really fine lines), my gear stamp (it's got heavy, thick lines), gold embossing powder (not the glitter kind) and it worked just fine. Believe me, nobody's more surprised than I am! I also did stamping with the Rusty Hinge Distress ink and it's taking forever to dry, but it sure looks good. I love that color.

I haven't used my background stamps yet-I've got 3 of them that are large. I can sure see where that would be a problem. Especially if you're not really supposed to rock them. Vae suggested to me stamping on like a mouse pad or foam core so there's a little give. Not having either of those, I've been using my bird identification book or a post it pad.

Edited by gin1 on 04-28-13 04:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to gin1902

YAY! Great job! I'm actually impressed since I don't have much luck on vellum, I think I get too impatient, lol. Did you stamp the distress ink on the vellum also? That could be the drying issue, since vellum has a slick coating most inks either won't truly ever dry or will take forever to dry.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

Yes, I stamped on the vellum and it's still wet-LOL Maybe I'll try the heat gun on that too. I did heat the embossing powder fairly slowly-I've only used the heat gun twice, so I'm working on getting the feel of it. Of course if I did anything on other than scrap paper, it'd go up like wildfire. LOL

Also, I noticed the vellum has more snap (can't think of the right word) than regular paper when you go to funnel the extra embossing powder back into the little jar. I will be needing gold embossing powder a little sooner than I expected.

Edited by gin1 on 04-28-13 04:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to gin1902

Yeah, vellum is stiffer than regular paper, I've had embossing powder fly all over the place trying to pour it off the vellum back into the jar, lol

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

Oh, my word! I think you guys were at about page 60 when I left! Do you know how long I've read to catch up??????

I'll never be able to respond, but I did see the pictures of your meet-up. Looks like you all had lots of fun.

The last two weeks have felt like they were two months long! I have been so sleep deprived that when I got home at about noon today, we ate and went straight to bed. I think we slept for over four hours! Felt so good! All in all, I made five trips from home to Blanchard. I feel like I grew to the seat of my car, lol!

I'll never complain about it though. I had some wonderful time to say good-bye to my daddy. He knew me up until two days before he died so those times I will cherish forever. His service was on Saturday at Blanchard, and he was buried in the new cemetary on Hwy. 62 just south of Newcastle. After the service, the church served lunch to us, and then my brothers and their families went to my mom's and we had a good visit. It had been so long since we had just got to visit, and we were wondering why it took something like this to make it happen. Sometimes in life our priorities are so messed up!

Anyway, I received several pm's with your sympathies and I so appreciate every one of them! You guys are the best!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to flintridgescrapper

Hi Judy! I'm so glad to see your post! I think I can safely say you were in all of our thoughts.

I'm so glad you had that time with your father and with your family. You're so right, as families we should try to get together more often. Especially those of us who are spread out so far.

I'm so glad to see you. You know what I mean by that!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Judy! So incredibly sorry you've been through so much, I've been thinking so much about you lately, praying that you were holding up okay! Take some time for yourself now, give yourself time to recharge and recuperate.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to gin1902

LOL Darla. Mine didn't go all the way across the room, but now I know to put less on just in case it does! I'm thinking instead of pouring it out of the jar, maybe I'll spoon it out instead so I end up putting less on to begin with.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 05:43 PM
In response to gin1902

Gin, one thing I do that works well... dump your extra powder from the vellum onto a piece of regular printer paper that's been folded in half so there's a crease. Then use that paper to dump it back into the jar. That way you're not having to worry about your"real" paper getting messed up.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

LOL~"real" paper. That's a good idea Vae-clearly hurrying to get it back into the little jar is NOT the best way to do it! Rusty Hinge ink is STILL wet! LOL!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to gin1902

Hello everyone!
It is so good to see a couple of faces that have been missing from us!
Okie Judy- ou have been on my mind and in m heart. I am glad you are back!
Stephanie- I am so happy you and your mom had fun!

You tow also need to think about our retreat we have planned for October 31- November 3. Let me know if you want to come!

Tanya YEAH for getting to come!

So far confirmations from Vae, Darla, Me and Tanya.
Darla- Have you mentioned it to Kory?

I wanna sing Rubber Ducky in the middle of Bourbon Street!
I also want to sing all the songs in Sound of Music at their locations!

Edited by terrihooper on 04-28-13 06:19 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 06:35 PM
In response to gin1902

Maybe try laying a piece of absorbent paper over the ink and lightly pressing down to soak up the excess? I'm not sure if that will work or not and the rest of the ink may still smear if it's touched, but worth a try.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

Bourbon Street is fun.

I tried a few things-air dry (still wet after 3 hours), heat tool dry (still wet), paper towel (smeared), not "real" paper (smeared), and of course my pinky (really smeared)~LOL So, maybe if I stamp my Halloween card vellum NOW, it'll be dry in October. Or maybe it won't!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to gin1902

I think I just caught up...

gin~I don't know if your distress ink will ever dry on vellum. You need to use a dye ink. Most people like Memento...it's the brand I normally use on vellum. I went to stamp on vellum last night and I can't find my Tuxedo Black Memento. I've bought two or three of them and end out giving them away. I used London Fog, or something like that, and it turned out great for a big rose stamp, but I could never see it on the stamp since it was so light, so it was a surprise that it actually turned out :>) I didn't emboss this time, but I played with my Alcohol Blending Solution, along with Perfect Pearls and some Lindy's powder and it turned out really pretty...at least I thought so :>)

I have a bead tray with funnels in the corner and I keep a couple of lengthwise-folded 4x6 index cards in the tray. I put one of the cards into the tray, pour my embossing powder over the thing I'm working on on top of the card, then to clean up, almost all of the powder is on the card, which is stiff enough to use as a good funnel to put the powder back into the jar. If there is a lot, I use a soft brush to push all the powder to the corner of the bead tray and dump the rest out of the tray. (The product I added below isn't the same tray I have, but same idea. Just be sure to have the funnel of the try OVER the jar before you take the cap off the tray. I speak from experience...)

I am definitely not an embossing/stamping expert by any means...but creating messes I'm top of my class.

Stephanie~How do you get back out of the salt mine after they drop you into it? We went on a coal mine tour in PA and what a surprise to find ourselves going full speed...backwards...down the mine shaft! A little warning would have been nice :>) I guess we should have known by the position of the little train, but we thought they'd somehow turn it around. They didn't. At least we got to come back up facing forward, but backwards going down was quite a shock!

Judy (not me)—So glad you're back home safely and also that you got to spend some good time with your dad. Those good-bye memories are to be cherished.

Tanya~So sorry that you didn't get the weekend that you were hoping for and deserved. It's tough to go back to a week of working when you don't feel like you've had a chance to recharge. Hopefully you and Josh will get it all figured out so it works good for both of you. Compromise is needed in a marriage...or any relationship...but compromise needs to be fairly equally divvied up. No one gets their own way all the time...well, except maybe Donald Trump...but no one should have to give up all their needs and desires to make it all work.

Darla, Manda, Sheryl, Vae and everyone else dealing with the crud or aches and pains...hope you get a good night's rest and have a great week. Tammy...I bet you're getting excited about your vacation. Is the Moose vacationing also?

Anne and Rosie...enjoy walking along your primrose cobbled pathways and Alison...have fun making new creations with your Cameo :>)

Good night, everyone...including Kory, who seems to be an illusion.~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 08:21 PM
In response to gin1902

Hi Judy! It's so good to see you checking in. We've all been thinking about you and sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way. I'm sure you still have so much going on right now, so just let us know if there's anything you need, even if it's just a distraction. I'm sure we can cook up some good glitter bomb stories and all sorts of other mischief.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to mrsdriver5

Also, gin, from what others have said, the Distress inks are some of the wetter pads of the pigment inks, so pigments probably won't ever dry, or they'll smear on non-porous material, and the Distress ones are the worst.

Dye inks dry immediately, so they can't be used for embossing, but you can use an embossing pad on non-porous materials like vellum.~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 08:28 PM

Judy Driver, how was your weekend? Did you get your cards and layout finished?

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

I got one LO done, but not the one that goes with it. Right now I don't even know where that one is...buried under the tornado residue I guess. I had my work area all nice and neat, then last night I think I got out everything I owned. Stamps, powders, paints, sprays, dies, embossing folders. But I finished three sympathy cards and now I have a bunch of birthday cards and a Mom's Day card I want to get done. But first, I need to unbury my work table

Church was hard. The woman who died usually sat in front of us and her husband, 2 daughters and long-time friends were there. She had known her husband and several friends since grade school days and they'd been married 51 or 52 years, so lots of years of memories.

Then we went out to lunch with my Mom & our oldest daughter and her family. We always have a great time together. The waitresses know we'll be there for several hours and usually come over to talk with us some.

There's something about Sundays that by night time I can hardly keep my eyes open and tonight is no exception, but we also watch Criminal Minds reruns and they come on at 11:30, so I need to stay awake for three more hours so I can see the end of it. Yawn... ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-28-13 08:57 PM

That sounds like a very emotional day... lots of ups and downs. Hugs to you. I'm glad you got to have a nice lunch with your family. I hope you're able to get some good rest tonight. Maybe call in sick tom...oh wait...nm I think you might be retired

I remember you saying once that you didn't make cards, but then I remembered you talking about making them so I second guessed myself. Are you going to post them in your gallery? I'd love to see.

I have made 3 this weekend... I really don't know why it takes me so long. I made one thank you card and liked how it turned out so I made another one that is identical except the colors. I think I might do that from now on... every time I need to make a card I'll make two of the same so I have some extras. But the few I've made, I really like to personalize them... probably why it takes me soooo long. LOL

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

Good morning everyone!

Yes Judy the Moose is going with me - a week from today! I am not at all very excited yet - not sure why.

Gin - there is a glue stamp pad out there which is what I use instead of ink when embossing - I just make sure to use the coloured embossing powder and not the clear when I do that. Works the same as an ink pad on your stamps but it just glue - add some embossing powder and heat! You can buy it at Ms and it comes with it's own reinker - well I guess regluer in this case.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Ladybing Tammy

spent some time this morning looking at Steph's photos - that is quite the little cheeky monkey!

And then some friends had posted pics from their Icelandic trip - very cool so here I am going to boring old Canada (well I am not going for the scenery so I shall be content with hugs from family and friends).

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 12:25 AM

Hi Tammy! It seems like I never get to chat with you on here with the time difference. Yay only 1 week to go!! Where will you be flying into? are you staying in one region or will you be traveling throughout Canada?

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Vae

Good morning everyone!

Judy I am so sorry about your father, like I had said I was away and haven't read what I missed so I had no idea it would be this quickly. I miss my father very much but you are lucky you got to spend some time with him before he passed. It is always a bit sad to me that families seem to get together whenever something terrible happens rather than when things are going well.

Vae where are you all meeting??

Gin, I have no crystals, which really puts a damper on my first day back as my boss really wants me to succeed. Mind you, I want to succeed as well, but I was hoping that when I returned I would have something to show for the 5 days I spent running around and working crazy hours. Alas, I do not. Not yet anyways.

So I'm going to hang around work and figure out a plan of attack.

Also, I found the clockwork die cut I was looking for! The only issue is I would have to buy 25 of them...what would I do with 25?? Not sure if I'm going to be able to buy them as my credit card is not looking to happy right now. I found where I can buy just one for under a buck, but shipping is about $8 so is it really worth it? I just don't know.

-Stephanie

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 01:07 AM
In response to SJB1120

Oh no! I was so hoping you'd come back with stories of how your crystals grew HUGELY out of control while you were gone and so your boss suggested you leave for 2 weeks each month. I'm terribly sorry that didn't happen I hope you're able to get caught up relatively quickly.

25 of them? For how much? Hmm... I'd be in for 5. Anyone else?

We are looking at a retreat here in North Texas starting Oct 31. When will you be stateside?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 01:12 AM
In response to Vae

After 4 am.. I'm going to TRY to get at least 2 hours sleep before work. I think Darla gets up soon and she's sure to keep the morning shift going (at least on this side of the world) till I get back. Night

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Vae

Yeah, crystals are pretty but they are hard work!

Ah, Northern Texas. I will be in the US after July 14th, moving to Vermont mid-August. And it doesn't look like I get any time off until Christmas.

I do want to visit Texas soon, maybe also Louisiana and Utah, as the furthest west I've been is Tennessee. I also flew to California but was there for a conference, and there's a lot in between TN and CA. Also never been to the Grand Canyon. Oh and Canada! Hmmm, my list seems to be getting longer.

At least I'll be in a much closer time zone

-Stephanie

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

Good morning, y'all. Vae is right, I usually get up about now, but don't usually check in until I get to work. Today I'm making an exception because I'm not going to work. I was only scheduled to work a half day because the foundation work is being done this afternoon, but I've been up since about 3:30 with a nosebleed. This always happens after a cold or sinus infection, thankfully I only get sick like that about once every year to year and a half. But I woke up with it pouring blood, it took forever to get it to nearly stop, since about 4ish it has been kind of stop and start, so I'm just going to take the whole day.
I'll probably be checking in through the day, but hope everyone has a great Monday!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

Oh no, Darla! Hope everything is OK! I've never had a nosebleed, but Hubs does every now and then. That's got to be a bad way to wake up!

Speaking of bad ways to wake up ... Griffin & Gracie decided to have a scuffle right on top of me as I slept this morning, and I ended up with two huge scratches on my forearm, one drew a good amount of blood. Not a fun way to wake up ever, but especially not on a Monday morning! :/

Last night, as I was 'paying attention to' and 'spending time with' the Hubs, I suggested that we schedule a weekend per month that we do nothing. I explained that meant that even if someone from out of town that we haven't seen in awhile is going to be here, that NO means NO. Our answer to them will be that we already have plans, and that our marriage is more important than them being hurt or whatever. He actually agreed, and understood that I need MY time, too. Uninterrupted time. I really emphasized that one. Not just an hour here or 5 five minutes before dinner. Like all day, without having to do anything else. He said he was OK with that, as long as we also scheduled time for us to do things with friends, or have fun or whatever too. I guess he doesn't realize HOW MUCH we do with family and friends already, but I'll go along with that. Then, after dinner, he said I should go play in my room if I wanted to. I couldn't jump off the couch fast enough, LOL! I ended up getting two weeks of Project Life put together in a couple of hours. He ended up going to bed about a 1/2 hour before me, and I was thrilled.

AND, the biggest news ... I told him the weather was supposed to be chilly on Saturday, and if we weren't getting on the lake, was it really worth going? He started to rationalize driving a bit over an hour each way, just to hang out and meet neighbors having a Kentucky Derby party. Probably shouldn't be drinking that evening and then driving home. And we HAVE to come home because of the dogs .... and it sure is a lot to spend on gas just for that .... He said we didn't have to go! But I know he really wants to ... I'm going to continue to work on him during the week and we'll see if we just go for a little while, or not at all (hoping for not at all, LOL).

Everyone have a good day, and I'll check it later ...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 05:43 AM
In response to tanyaham

Darla, you poor dear. I wake up with them all the time. The dry air here really gets to me. It really is NOT a pleasant way to wake up. At least you are able to rest, at least I hope you can.

Tanya, I'm sorry about your rude awakening this morning. Not fun. But I am soooo happy to hear that you had Josh had a good conversation to start to regain some balance! YAY! I hope you end up getting to stay home next weekend too.

You guys, words cannot express how tired I am. I think I finally fell asleep by 5 and the alarm went off at 6:45. I snoozed until 7 and really wanted to call in sick but here I am. I have no idea how I'm going to make it through the day today.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
OMG!! YOU GUYS!! I actually WON something!!!!

My LSS does that project in a bag contest every month. Last month I thought my entry actually might have a chance... it was so different than everyone else's.. but I didn't win. This month I forgot about it, pulled an all nighter till 4 am to get it done and there were soooo many mistakes (the page about Mia with the Hand Wash Only). I really did it just so I wouldn't be "the flake" who didn't turn hers in. And I just saw on Facebook that I won $25 gift card to my LSS and they keep my page on display till... well I don't know how long but I'll definitely take the $25!!!

YAY!!! Congrats!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Manda_K

So much to read, so little time!!! I am online at the library, so heres a quick check in...before I have to run n pick Juancito from preschool.

Stephanie, where in Vermont will u be? Close to NY? I am 1 hr from Albany...if we r close, lets try a get together, Northeast style!!!

Both Judys, so sorry to hear that family and friends have passed...very tough for you both, I am sure.

Vae, have you gotten any of the storms in, the past week or so? Heard bout some on the news, n thought of you!

Anyone notice that KORY seems more AWOL than me lately? hmm, lets us look at his handsome visage in the OK ScrapCorral photos, then nuthin... He should at least jump in for America. OOOH, I have a piece of bait for him, lets see if this works...

Hey Kory, have you heard any skinny on The Princess Bride ever coming to Broadway as a musical? Wouldnt that be great? wellll, last week I was cleaning a clients house, and lets say that I cant name names, but hes a famous, very famous n successful music composer. On his keyboard in the studio, I found...drumroll please,,,the screen play for said possible play, with notes, etc on songs like "As You Wish". IDK what kind of secrecy is surrounding this, and would prob get fired for spreading the rumor, but isn't it amazing that J*** K*****, I mean, ahem, a secret famous guy I cant mention is working on this? Who doesnt love this movie...It should be "One Singular Sensation", no?? Oh well, Life is a Cabaret...

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Juansmom

I'm moving to a town right along the VT/NH border, near Hanover, NH...no idea if that's close.

And I LOVE me a good musical!!!

-Stephanie

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to SJB1120

If I can find a way to split up those clockwork die cuts (25 of them, Vae said she'd be in for 5) then maybe I can get them. Anyone else interested in 5 or 10?

-Stephanie

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to SJB1120

Hey, y'all, I am so glad I didn't try to go in today. My nose has been bleeding off and on all morning, but I did manage to get a bit more sleep, propped up in the recliner so it wouldn't drain down my throat. I guess some drained before it woke me up in the middle of the night because I have been quite nauseous most of the morning. Ugh.
Stephanie, what do the die cuts look like? Do you have a link where I can go look at them?
Tanya, so glad you and Josh had a good talk. You're right, he probably doesn't have a clue how much time y'all spend with others, whether it's family or friends, and how little time you carve out to just be together. Especially if this is the way it's been since y'all first got together. Hopefully this will be an eye-opener for him, and things will get better.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 08:16 AM

Darla I think this is the one that Stephanie is looking for. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Products Referenced in This Post:

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

Thanks, Vae! So now to clarify, is it an actual die cut, or is it a sheet of paper? The description that comes up is for paper, but I'm foggy this morning and just thought I'd better check, lol

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 08:33 AM

It's paper that has been die cut so it looks just like the picture. So what she can find is a pack of 25 sheets of it but that's a whole lotta clock. LOL

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

I'll trade glitter bombs for clock paper~LOL Stephanie, if you look in my gallery, you can see the tiny little vials I've got to make them with. Let me know what you'd like. And you can have glitter bombs without trading for paper. Let me know how much per sheet and I might be in for 5 or 10.

Thanks so much Judy and Tammy for the stamping suggestions! Love the bead tray idea and I've written down the drier inks to get. Great ideas because that Rusty Hinge is STILL wet! LOL!

So sorry for all the bleeding going on! My goodness I hope Tanya and Darla stop doing that!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 09:02 AM
In response to gin1902

Ok so I hope you guys don't mind but I'm about to brag just a little bit...

It's not a huge deal but it's kind of a big to us... Rob was recognized by a leading industry magazine for being a Top Young Executive (under 40). They did an article on him, which is why he had to record that video last night- to go with the online article. There are only 12 people per year in the US who get this so it's a lot of good exposure for him. I'm so proud

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

That's SO awesome Vae! I'd brag too!!! That's wonderful. He must be proud too!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Ok so I hope you guys don't mind but I'm about to brag just a little bit...

It's not a huge deal but it's kind of a big to us... Rob was recognized by a leading industry magazine for being a Top Young Executive (under 40). They did an article on him, which is why he had to record that video last night- to go with the online article. There are only 12 people per year in the US who get this so it's a lot of good exposure for him. I'm so proud

More awesomeness!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Manda_K

Whew!

Okay, I did read, but not enough to retain much.

Stephanie, sorry that you don't have crystals yet.

Judy, glad you could see your family, even if it was under sad circumstances.

Dye ink will dry on vellum, but not much else. I used to love vellum, but it can be a pita to work with.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Manda_K

Vae - I will be going to Ontario - near Toronto but pretty much around Southern Ontario, including Niagara Falls. And yeah for Rob!

Chris - yes that is the Moose and I

Darla - hope the bleeding has stopped for good.

all else- hope it was a good day.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

Vae, that is FANTASTIC news!!!! :)
Congrats to Rob!!!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

Vae, that is a great reason to brag! Awesome achievement for Rob, mega congrats! With accolades like that, you have every reason in the world to brag!
Okay, y'all, I gotta tell you, I just had the biggest scare! My nosebleed finally stopped for good about an hour or so ago, I had been doing little bits and pieces around the house, and then curled up in the recliner with my Kindle to read for a bit while I wait for the foundation people to get here. It was really quiet and I was really into the book I'm reading, when I hear the neighbor's dog start to bark, and my back door start rattling. Before I could get out of the chair, the door opened, and just as I'm about to [email protected] myself, the pet sitter walks in. OMG! I totally forgot she was supposed to come today, and she was just as startled to see me, I think we both just about had heart attacks, lol!!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

I'm so glad you stopped bleeding, Darla! And I'm very excited about your foundation work today. We're starting on the windows for the garage, so I guess it's construction day!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 10:47 AM
In response to gin1902

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited for him and proud of him! Tonight we're going to celebrate with a nice long nap. LOL.

Manda, thank you for your post this morning. In all the other excitement I totally forgot about my own happy news. Mine's better... I don't even think he got $25... just an article in a magazine haha j/k

Oooh Tammy that sounds fabulous. I love the falls on the Canadian side. So beautiful! I hope the weather will be super nice while you're there!

Darla, you certainly have had a lot of excitement for one day! I think you're supposed to be taking it easy... not scaring the heck out of the poor pet sitter and yourself! When do the foundation people get there?

I do have to kind of laugh at how despite the attempts to block such foul language, the word [email protected] gets highlighted when you write it like that so as to draw extra attention

Gin... please be careful!! Windows...glass... between Tanya and Darla there's already been enough bloodshed for one day and they say things happen in 3s. Can you just put that part off till tomorrow?

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Vae

Vae, that is an awesome achievement for Rob! Give him my congratulations!

LOL, Darla....I can just imagine how that must have scared you!

I got two very beautiful sympathy cards in the mail today! Thank you, Gin and Tanya. You knew just how to lift my spirits!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

You're so welcome, Judy.

You're right Vae, maybe window work isn't the best plan for today. It'd be the 2nd story windows too-LOL It's quite breezy, I'm thinking kite flying would be more fun anyhow.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to gin1902

Oooooh, I would be careful and think twice about handling glass or anything sharp today, Gin! We have definitely had enough bloodshed for one day!
The foundation people just called, they 'll be here in about 45 minutes. Only 2 hours past the scheduled time, but at least they're still coming, lol. Now if I just get the call that my flooring is in, I can get this show in the road! I sure hope my house is put back together in time for it to become Hotel Darla in a couple of weeks!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to gin1902

So much to catch up on and my day is half over. I'm going to a Girls' Nite Out at church with my oldest daughter—fancy catered dinner (meaning fancy china & crystal with little bits of swanky food :>) but we're supposed to feel high-class and special) and a guest speaker who sounds like she'll be fun...usually they're "inspirational with comedy" and we've had some really funny speakers. Anyway, I want to eat a good lunch to make up for the fancy-schmanzy salad & croissant that will probably be my supper...but they do find super yummy desserts!

Darla~Hope you've quit bleeding. I used to have awful nosebleeds, as did my dad and his mom, so it kind of runs in the family. Now I have a granddaughter who gets them. A year before college I had a bad one...pouring out of both sides of my nose...and a guy took me to his doctor (I was at work)and the dr. cauterized my nose. My dr. had a fit, saying it would make it worse, but that was the end of my really bad nosebleeds. Since we moved from the dry air of Denver, I very seldom have any...which is one good reason for the move!

Now if you can just get your heart rate back to normal and get your dog-sitter peeled off your ceiling, maybe things will get a bit normal for you. Hope all your floor work goes smoothly and you'll soon have your house back to the way you want it.

Vae~I'm like you. I don't make cards, so I'm not sure how to explain the three I made over the weekend or the five or six for Valentines or the ones that are on my ToDo list. I think in a way it helps me rationalize my scrappy spending since most nice greeting cards are expensive and I can make them, mostly out of scrap paper...or even a way to use some of the paper that I don't really care for on LOs, but they work great for cards.

But also like you, I like to personalize them and I always print a little dated logo on the back, so I don't make them up ahead of time. That means when I need a card...I have to get busy and make one.

Also congrats to Rob! That's worth bragging about. Where did you finally decide to do the video? I saw someone suggested the Oval Office, but that might be in use.

Stephanie~Hope you figure out what to do next and that whatever it is...it's successful! Do you "have" to have something to show before you leave Germany? Or do the attempts count? In science it seems like guaranteed successes would be a bit impossible. I guess I don't really know what's involved with a Fulbright Scholarship (I think you said that's what you're on right now?). Is it part of a degree program or independent study or...I obviously don't have a clue...As soon as the word "science" is spoken, my brain shuts down

Gin~How did you do on your GBs? I have embossing powder everywhere, but luckily I didn't get the glitter out. It's about the only thing I own that's not out on my worktable!

Tammy, I think it was you who mentioned this~I was wondering if the glue pad would work for embossing. I almost tried it, but I didn't want to mess up the card I was working on in case it failed. I have the glue pad with my embossing powders, so I figured it must work with them.

I bought some Wet Look pens, that I thought were just regular pens, like the Souffle pens, but when I tried using them, they didn't do much. Then I read the instructions...what a concept. They are for embossing, and they worked great for a little label. I handwrote a word with the pinkish-red pen, then used a Lindy's pink/gold powder and it came out beautifully...and wet looking :>) It has a fine tip, so it worked great for writing. They're Marvy Matchables Wet Looks Embossing Markers, but the last part was turned, so it didn't show up in the package to tell me it was for embossing. Then I was just anxious to play with them and didn't notice. I just buy stuff...that doesn't mean I know what it is or how to use it!

I've kept you all long enough. Hi to everyone else...I'll check up on you all later to see what everyone is doing~Judy

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Hi, Ms Cali Judy, glad to see you check in. Haven't seen much of you lately.
I love making cards! I prefer to make them as needed,so that I can make them with colors and designed to reflect the person for whom they're intended. But as part of my duties as a board member for the PFP, I make and mail all the birthday/condolence/whate ver is needed cards for our clients, so it's necessary to have quite a stash made in advance. But I haven't met most of our clients so it doesn't bother me too much that they are a little generic. They're still so much better than a manufactured card, and our clients get the personal touch. Right now my stash is very low, I need to be in there making more, but I'm just feeling lazy today. Maybe it's the blood loss? LOL!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

Good afternoon, y'all!

Darla, that is too funny about the pet sitter! Good thing you didn't Dirty Harry them!

I'm trying to stay awake ... I've got another hour, and then I'm done for today. zzzzzz zzzzzzzz

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 12:18 PM

Hi Judy Sounds like you have a fun evening planned! LOL about the swanky food. When we went to the masquerade ball in Venice, they had very swanky food. Everything was so pretty but almost all of it was fish so I couldn't eat most of it. I tried a small bite of everything just in case the italians knew something about fish that I didn't know, but nope, it was still dag-nasty. But they brought out one dish that had a side of something yellow. We figured out that it was some kind of rice with a really creamy sauce- no fish at all. But the funny part was the huge flake of gold on top of it! It was just flake so you were supposed to eat it. Some people were trying to pick it off their rice but it kind of disintegrated. I ate it, gold and all. Ate Rob's too since it was pretty much the only thing I could eat beside the dessert. You should always at least be able to count on a good dessert during a swanky dinner

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 12:22 PM
In response to Vae

I've used those embossing markers before and I love them! I have a set from Ranger - one clear and one black. I have no idea what a souffle pen is. Do I need one?

Oh, have you decided on your bathroom?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 12:23 PM
In response to Vae

LOL Hotel Darla Now I have the Hotel California song stuck in my head.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Vae

OMGOSH you guys, I totally forgot to tell you my freaky nighttime story! LOL

So, I woke up and heard some scratching, thought it was the cat, no biggie, went back to sleep, woke up a little later, heard some sniffing, again, cat, sleep. Wake up in the am, look down at the side of my bed and there is a baby POSSUM in my house! EEEKK!! Okay, really, and actually, not the first possum that has been in the house, but it is the first one since we fixed everything. Scared me half to death! The cat was OUTSIDE. So all night, that little rodent was in our room! Kelly *thinks* (yeah) that he shoo'ed him out, but I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
I've used those embossing markers before and I love them! I have a set from Ranger - one clear and one black. I have no idea what a souffle pen is. Do I need one?

Oh, have you decided on your bathroom?

It's a scrappy tool...of course you need one :>) Well, they come in a set and look kind of like puffy paint, but they work good for icing on a cupcake for a birthday card, or for snow, or just to add a little raised effect to a LO. I figured a souffle had to be good :>)

I use the Ranger embossing pens all the time. I like the clear (I guess they call it white) in both the bullet and the brush. They'd quit selling them for a while, but they're back on the market, so if they "new and improved" them, I hope it's not like other un-named places that have "new and improved" things I haven't used the black ones, but they'll probably jump into my shopping cart sometime.

My Ranger embossing pad fell apart. I went to use it and all the sponge stuck to my stamp. I wasn't a happy camper. I had a couple other kinds...actually I used my Ranger re-embosser on my Martha Stewart pad to make it a little gooier. It seemed like Ranger and Martha played together well...it worked

Bathroom? I'm supposed to make decisions about my bathroom Hopefully I'll get it figured out this week. Life goes way too fast...even for retired people, but unfortunately I slow down while life speeds up~Judy

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Manda_K

Hi all!! Juanie n his BFF, Cristina (also 4 1/2 yrs old!), are in gymnastics for another 15 minutes, thought i'd catch up a bit!!

Stephanie, I think u will only be 2 1/2-3 hours away from me...which is really not far!

I downloaded a bunch of pics to my computer today, with some new scrap pages to post in my gallery! yay, fresh meat!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Juansmom

Okay, y'all, I'm a bit miffed and a bit disappointed. A couple of weeks ago I ordered 2 M-Bossabilities folders from a site where they were the deal of the day 2 for price of one. I got a package today, it has 2 folders in it but not the 2 I ordered. [email protected]! And I was so anxious to get them and play with them. Now I have to wait to see if they will exchange, then wait to get the others,I hate waiting!

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
OMGOSH you guys, I totally forgot to tell you my freaky nighttime story! LOL

So, I woke up and heard some scratching, thought it was the cat, no biggie, went back to sleep, woke up a little later, heard some sniffing, again, cat, sleep. Wake up in the am, look down at the side of my bed and there is a baby POSSUM in my house! EEEKK!! Okay, really, and actually, not the first possum that has been in the house, but it is the first one since we fixed everything. Scared me half to death! The cat was OUTSIDE. So all night, that little rodent was in our room! Kelly *thinks* (yeah) that he shoo'ed him out, but I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight.

I think I would have had a heart attack right on the spot!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 01:28 PM

Manda... wow... that is... shudder the thought! I probably wouldn't be able to sleep in there tonight... got any traps handy just in case?

Judy, I don't know how I never heard of a souffle pen but now I have to have one! LOL! I don't know if my ranger markers are the new or the old ones. I have had them less than a year though. I used the black one the other day and was very happy with how it turned out.

Chris yay for pics hopefully you'll get some good scrapping done.

Darla, BOOOOOOOOO that sux I'm sorry hun. Did you email them? I've ordered there before 2 or 3 times and not had a problem. But on the bright side, maybe they'll let you keep them AND send you the ones you wanted!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

the glue pad works wonders for embossing and for glitter too! It is the only thing I use for both and have for several years now.

I don't like souffle pens at all - just don't work that good for me. I would rather use puffy paint and I don't use that much.

I also use an embossing buddy first so it takes the static away before I emboss or glitter - that way the little bits don't hang about and get embossed.

oh and I love Niagara from both sides - and it is totally awesome during the winter (like frozen mid February - so beautiful).

anyway it is late and off to bed I go.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 01:56 PM

I tried finding an embossing buddy this weekend to no avail. Checked Ms, Js, and HL today. Where do I get one of these?

G'night Tammy!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

I hate possums. Those guys are mean...luckily you didn't get out of bed and kick him or something. We used to have a family of them that hung out (literally) in a pepper tree over our mailbox. I was always afraid one would fall down on top of our nice mail lady. We got rid of the pepper tree, but now we have a mean mail lady...I wouldn't mind a possum falling down on her :>) ~Judy

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

I have a stampin up embossing buddy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

If I don't have better luck with my embossing buddy than I had Sat. night, I'll be tossing mine. Tammy-does it eventually lose some all of its powder? It completely wrecked what I was working on, which was a black paper with a sheen and the powder took away the sheen. Usually I use a dryer sheet (like Bounce) and it seems to help. I rub it around inside my funnel-tray before using it. Maybe I'll try the embossing buddy again...but I'm not sure. We don't have the static like we did in Denver, so the powder really doesn't stick to the paper like it would in really dry places. Vae—I ordered mine online, either from here or J's.

...I just looked and didn't find the embossing buddy in the superstore. The souffle pens are made by Sakura. I saw them at M's (and they are in the sb store), while I was looking at all the different types of pens I had to have. It was probably about lunch time, but I knew I had to had have the souffle ones :>) I don't use them a lot, but just for a little extra punch once in a while, and for frosting.~Judy

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Tammy~Can the glue pads be used for embossing on vellum? I use vellum a lot...I just like the soft look of it. I'm assuming it would dry hard.~Judy

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

I don't know what an embossing buddy is. I'm guessing it's not a good friend who is standing by encouraging you.

Still haven't gotten to the windows, but we did determine we have enough stuff to actually DO the top ones. Hope to finish the pipe stuff tomorrow-just a little more to chip out of the foundation and we'll worry about the elbow, the upright little piece and all the extensions later.

HOPE to get to those glitter bombs tonight since Dennis is home and it's a four handed job-LOL. I'm so late with them, I sure hope nobody had an actual schedule for using them! Because by "tonight" I probably really mean tomorrow.

Darla, I hope things went well with your foundation guys today!

Aww...a possum...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 05:12 PM
In response to gin1902

Gin, an embossing buddy is this small bean bag looking thing. It has a very fine powder inside that is some kind of natural clay stuff. You kind of pat the bag onto your layout, and then rub it around, and it's supposed to get rid of any static cling that will cause your embossing powder to stick to places other than where you want it. Also, I'm told (and I'm not sure if this is true so someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that if you have inked the paper previously, and there is any tackiness left of the ink, that it will kind of get rid of the tackiness so that your embossing powder only sticks to the embossing ink and not any other ink you may have previously used. So basically it's supposed to help with those super fine particulates of embossing powder that you don't really see until they've melted onto your paper.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

My goodness, Vae-is there some sort of tool/item/thingy for EVERYTHING? LOL!!! I just blew on it. I'm SO far behind and improperly, understuffed for this hobby...

Edited by gin1 on 04-29-13 05:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Vae

You are exactly correct on the EB Vae.

Just checking in quickly before the season opener of Warehouse 13!!! Yeah!!

I am getting excited about Dina Wakley classes and Arlington Convention!!

And am I supposed to make the reservations for the retreat? If so, for how many? I only have 4 of us confirmed.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 05:45 PM
In response to terrihooper

Gin, yep, there IS a tool for everything. And if you come up with something that there is no tool for, let me know please. We'll invent it and be millionaires!

Btw, if you blow on it, you could dislodge some of the powder that you WANT to be there so I actually use a very small, very soft bristled paint brush to kind of sweep off the flecks I don't want. But they still creep in and it's still a pain.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

Good point. I'll try the paint brush idea. I was more concerned with what might go on with the vellum rather than the wayward powder.

I have lots of vellum too, Judy. I like the kinds with designs, but subtle patterns.

I can't think of a tool that's not already invented since I don't even know all the ones that already are! LOL! The only thing I'd even look for in a tool is if it's user friendly and easy to use. I appreciate that there are tools for everything, but I'm drawn to the ones that just do what they do without a lot of fuss on my part. I don't care how a vehicle works, I just want to drive the dang car. Okay, so I know how an engine works, so maybe that's not the best example. Um...okay, I don't care how my computer works, I just want to email. That's probably why I'm a scissors kind of gal. LOL

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 06:31 PM
In response to gin1902

OMG I just whipped up a dragon card just for the fun of it. Got to come up with my own techniques... didn't cheat of youtube and had a lot of fun! And it was the fastest one I've done (it's the worst one too but I don't care, it was fun and I don't plan to give it to anyone).

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Vae

You'll show it to me though, right? It sounds too fun!!!

I'm really enjoying this new card thing. I think it's because it's not a whole 12x12 page with a picture (which I still haven't gotten to-LOL). It's a more manageable sized project.

Calling it an early night; bit of a rough day and hope tomorrow is a good one. For me and for everybody! See you tomorrow-and no more bleeding!

Edited by gin1 on 04-29-13 06:50 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-29-13 06:54 PM
In response to gin1902

Gin it's in my gallery :-)

I enjoy the larger pages because to me the small space is kind of restrictive, but I like the cards when I want to play with an idea without worrying about ruining the whole page.

This card really had no purpose at all other than to hold my Dragon :-)

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

I must say I most often use the paintbrush myself but sometimes if I am using really fine powder on really light paper I like to use the embossing buddy.

Judy I have used the glue pad on vellum but it was the heavier type of vellum - haven't tried on really fine vellum - comes out like the pre embossed with glitter vellum you can buy.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-30-13 05:42 AM

Good morning everyone!!!

Wow, it is WAY too quiet in here. Is everyone just busy? Is it because of the site? Did the zombies come and I didn't get the memo?

Darla, are you back at the office today? No nosebleeds I hope? How did the foundation stuff go?

Tanya, no more bleeding out of you either right?

Gin, I'm sorry yesterday was a rough day I hope today is much better for you.

Sheryl!!! Where are ya??? We miss you! I hope you've been MIA because you feel so good you had to go reenact the Sound of Music somewhere

Hi Stephanie, Rosey, Tammy, and Anne! Hope you've been having a great day so far!

G'morning Judy, Judy, Manda, Alison, Kory, Terri, Chris.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Vae

Good morning!

Nope, no more bleeding from me. And no more doggie tiffs either - they seem to have gotten over whatever got them stirred up.

Well, Hubs was thrilled last night when I paid all kinds of attention to him, LOL! We even talked more about not going on Saturday. I'm going to keep this experiment going all week and just see what happens!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to tanyaham

Good morning! Work is a WHIP today. Ugh, busy busy busy, half the dept in a meeting, now I am going over a different meeting. Then lunch, THEN I should be back.

I love embossing, but I don't use a pouch. Maybe next time I go to MHF I will grab one!

SO, last night, woke up to some clanking, turned on the light, a possum was on top of our dresser! EEK!! Kelly was super and grabbed in (with a leather glove on) and put it outside.

SO, we calm down a bit and fall back asleep. A couple hours later I hear more noise, turn on the light, ANOTHER ONE!! Kelly managed to grab it as well and put it out.

I don't know HOW they even got in! We are checking every crevice. I am just glad they were in our room instead of the kids. Creepy.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-30-13 07:06 AM
In response to Manda_K

Tanya, YAY glad you had a good night with hubs. That's the spirit! Smother him with affection so that he's sick of you by Saturday. LOL JUST kidding

Manda, wow, I hope you guys are VERY careful. It is baby season after all and mamma might be looking for food for her family. You really need to call animal control. If you just toss them outside, they'll keep coming back in because they know there is food there. We're also about to get a cold front and the babies have to be kept warm. Your home is probably REALLY comfy to them. They need to bring traps to capture them and then they'll relocate them far enough away in a more suitable environment.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Vae

Manda, prep a glitter bomb and emboss that possum baby!!! EM-POSSUM, haha, im too funny!!! or Ive lost my mind!! seriously, get a Hav-a-heart trap for him. Hope mama doesnt come looking for him!

I went to a CM crop Friday night, got three pages done, which is typical for me. I usually do a page an hour or so, even the simpler ones!! I guess I want them perfect, not just "in a book" or "on a page". They were all Christmas 2009, which we actually celebrated Jan 4, 2010. We had woken up that Christmas morning, all three of us with a nasty virus...u know, where you sit on the toilet with a bucket btwn your knees...So NONE of the family came over, n when they did the following weekend, somehow we never took a single family shot, open-pkg shot...nothing to note it was a holiday!!! I scrapped the existing un-festive pics on Christmas paper anyway...Ah the memories!!

Can someone go over the new process for posting pics in our gallery now? I am so behind in learning this new site stuff....

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

oh yeah, do we have a PDF FB site...i think i missed something. i am on FB, Christine Hoppe, Kingston NY (Not the Dr from AZ, or the German one, although i am German, lol!)

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Juansmom

Manda!!! I would be trippin' out!!!! I second everything that Jarvae said, and add an ewwwwwwww to it! I cannot even imagine waking up to that ... I tripped out when Gracie came inside foaming from harrassing a frog/toad/whatever it was the other night. I can't stand all the creepy crawler/small rodent kind of things ... good luck!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to tanyaham

Yea, it makes it REALLY hard to sleep.

We have traps, we don't call animal control because it is so rural. When we first moved in there was a whole family of skunks living under the house. We trapped like 3-4 of them and called animal control. It took them 4 days to some out. Not good. So we really don't bother with them. We have called them maybe once or twice after that and they always take that long.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Manda_K

Manda~If it's like here...everyone has a possum, skunk and gopher community in their yard, so animal control has no control :>) So far we've had possums in the garage and a screened room that's like our family room since we can use it year round here. That time was funny...not sure if I've already told the story, but...

When our oldest son was still in high school, his girlfriend gave him a puppy...which grew into a horse. Sheba's food bowls (big and plural bowls since that's how horse-dogs eat) were in the screened room and we kept the big bag of food in an old clothes hamper that had a lid so critters wouldn't get into the bag. Yeah, that plan worked well...

One day I hear this "manly" teen-age boy shriek and go out to find Jeff and a couple baby possums staring each other down...all of them looking ready to have a heart attack.

The possums had somehow gotten into the bag, in spite of the lid (which we kept a brick on just for this reason), and when he poured the food, the babies came tumbling out. They were all in shock. I told Jeff to get some boxes and things that were around and try to pen them in until we could make a noose-catcher, but between the dog's help and the fast possums, they'd sneak out of our barricades while we were building them.

Finally we went in the house, firmly closed the door and stuffed rags underneath, just to make sure, then waited for my hubby to get home...The Possum Slayer. Well, not really The Slayer, but it sounds good. He found them + their mama who must have come in to find her wandering children, made the noose (rope down through long PVC pipe) and carried them to a drainage ditch that runs along the back of our property. When he let them loose...they played possum :>) As soon as he turned his back, they ran away.

After that, Jeff would always take a long stick to look inside the food bag before he lifted it out of the hamper :>)

Then there's the time the skunk almost ran in the front door...but that's a whole different story...

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Then there was the story on the news last night of a woman in the LA area that was driving on the freeway and felt something wrap around her ankle. It was a big, long snake! She managed to get stopped at the side of the road and call 911. It took them over an hour to get it out of her car because it would keep going back into the dashboard. If that happened to me, I wouldn't be telling you about it, but you could read the newspaper to see how I died, in the midst of causing a 20-car pile-up as I swerved from lane to lane...or that I just opened the door while going 70 mph and jumped. That would be preferable to a snake wrapped around my leg. Ughhh...

Just think about that when you get in your car today :>) Do YOU know what's under your hood...or bonnet for the Brits ? ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 04-30-13 09:39 AM

Thanks Judy, now I'll get into a horrific car accident because I'm constantly looking in my floorboard instead of watching the road. LOL

Yeah, I'm with you though. I'd probably just jump out. Pull over and stop? Ha... maybe if I just fainted and my foot fell off the gas.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Vae

Judy that would be me too!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K

A snake would not bother me as much as a possum! LOL

A couple years ago I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink and there was a skunk in our living room! YES!! I didn't scream, but slowly backed up, got Kelly, but it was GONE. I was concerned about the kids. But, we ended up trapping it.

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

Judy, you and your snakes are too funny. I so needed a laugh today and I'm keeping your post in my "keepables." Though, Vae does have good point about now having to watch the floorboards in addition to the road!

We had one in the engine once and tried honking the horn, and starting it and then shutting it off, banging on the hood, and if I remember correctly, we also were turning the headlights on and off. Not at all sure why we thought the headlight thing would help. The neighbors came out to watch, but since they are 1/2 mile away, we think they just thought we were weird.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to gin1902

Luckily for the LA woman it turned out to be a harmless king snake, but she didn't know that when it first began slithering around her ankle. Out here, rattlesnakes are "in full bloom". Every night there is another story about someone getting bitten. The babies are out and about and are especially dangerous because they attack sooner and also usually give a full dose of venom. Adults are more prone to scurry away or if they bite, not do a full dose, or even do a dry-bite...although I'd die from my heart attack anyway, so I guess it wouldn't really matter. Since we live at the base of Rattlesnake Mountain, I don't take snake stories lightly!

But then, there's our son up by Lake Tahoe that put a picture on FB of a bear almost at their front door. Rattlesnake...possum...bear...what a choice!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics