Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 04-22-13 09:37 AM

Immerse yourself in your space and analyze it. What do you love? What works? What doesn't?

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 04-30-13 04:14 PM
In response to Kels

Welcome to Week #1 everyone. I'm so excited to get going and happy you're joining in. You are our flagship group for this new class so I'll be close by to make sure we have smooth sailing.

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Following is the link to the new seven page printable version with larger spaces for notes:

http://www.scrapbookneighborhood.com/downloads/Scrapboo...

Good luck with your layouts and Space Assessment Handouts this week. This is the most revealing week of our adventure. Please feel free to post about your discoveries if you're comfortable doing so. You can also share the layout you created here and/or your "before" photo here.

I'd love to know where you're from.

I'm from Mesa, Arizona, USA.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-01-13 06:54 AM
In response to Jill

Oooh I just found this forum! YAY!

I'm from McKinney, TX.

I'm so excited about the class. I'll be moving at the end of May into a house where I'll have an ACTUAL studio. Right now I'm on tables in my living room. The timing is perfect because I haven't bought anything for the new space yet. Now I can actually PLAN my space with much more knowledge of my process and my stash

I've just finished reading through the first lesson and I'm excited to get started, hopefully tonight. One thing I realized as I was reading through the "What DIDN'T work" sections is that my biggest hot mess is the debris that is left over from a project (or 3). I have lots of table space and I end up covering all of it, mostly with paper that I didn't end up using or the scraps that are left. When I peel a cut off my cricut mat, the remnants get tossed aside onto the table to be dealt with later.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 10:34 AM
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
One thing I realized as I was reading through the "What DIDN'T work" sections is that my biggest hot mess is the debris that is left over from a project (or 3). I have lots of table space and I end up covering all of it, mostly with paper that I didn't end up using or the scraps that are left. When I peel a cut off my cricut mat, the remnants get tossed aside onto the table to be dealt with later.

How neat you were able to see the problem with your project "leftovers!" Good info about scrap management is coming...

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Jill

Hi! I am in Renton, WA.

I am loving that the first "assignment" is about finding out what works and doesn't work in your space.

We recently (Jan. 2013) moved from TX (where I had the entire garage as my scrapbook room) to WA (in a apartment, where now I have to share the dining room with my scrap area). I am still trying to get the "right" set-up for me and my family.

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to rgridings

I'm really excited for this class too. I live around Sacramento, CA. I have roommates and so my bedroom is my studio. Actually it's more like I have a bed in my studio. hahaha. I have a very limited space and just a tiny table to work on so I'm excited to find a new, more effective system so I use what I have. Yay! And thank you Jill!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to snoflake517

OK...I finally got out from under my pile of paper, scraps, glitter, abandoned pens...and I'm here!

I live in El Cajon, an eastern suburb of San Diego, CA. (That's pronounced El Cahon with a long "o" for anyone east of the Mississippi )

I actually have a craft room with wallpaper to prove that's what it is...but I'm not in it. Hubby retired and that's where his computer ended out. You know what? Hubbies are mess-makers too, but in a different non-crafty way.

My challenge is to re-arrange several rooms so everyone and everything can finally get where it belongs...but I'm old, tired, and my foot got stuck to the floor when I stepped on a bottle of Permanent-Forever Nothing-Will-Remove glue, so I might be a bit slow in keeping up with you all~Judy

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 04:16 PM
In response to snoflake517

From a garage to an apartment is HUGE change. A bed in a studio is just the coolest. And studio sharing is like, well, basically you've got a roommate situation going on there. I'm looking forward to hearing the ideas you come up with. Remember, no need to clean this week. Just clear (or find) your workspace, design that gorgeous layout, takes breaks, and ponder life little grasshopper. Save your strength for the coming weeks.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-01-13 06:03 PM
In response to Jill

LOL, Judy!!

Checking in from San Francisco. Real estate being what it is here, and most apartments under rent control, my husband and I are in a small apartment where we've been for several years, and we both have multiple hobbies, interests, collections, toys, etc. Seems like I am constantly getting new stuff, rearranging and reorganizing, purging things I don't want or need any more. Container Store and Ikea are two of my favorite places.

I scrap in the living room by setting up a big folding table, or occasionally by pulling out a small rolling cabinet that sits under a table, sitting on the floor and just scrapping on top of it. I have deposits of scrappy supplies distributed throughout cabinets and a couple of closets, so a 'before' pic would have to be a collage And it doesn't help that they're replacing the big picture windows in the kitchen and living room so we've got the rug rolled up and cabinets and furniture all out of place!!

I've put a lot of thought into what works and what doesn't, and why, but it's quite a challenge given the absolute space limitations. Haven't worked on my assignment yet (my 'real' work has gotten very intense lately), but this weekend I'll be doing a lot of scrapping for NSD so it'll happen then

Very excited to have an organized process to think through all this!!

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to stick

Hello Ladies.

I am from Muncie, Indiana the Hoosier state. I live in a home built in the 1800's that we are trying to restore. I am lucky and have a large room that is now finally my studio after a big decision to stop taking in stay kids and family members. I share my studio with my Mother the card maker and my Aunt the "other" scrapper, and we host club every Wednesday night.

I am so excited to be involved in this class. It seems like I re-arrange our room every few months, each time finding something that works and many that don't. I will be brave and get my pics uploaded this weekend.

Lyn7952
New Kid On the Block
Lyn7952
In response to dabnat

Hi - I'm from San Antonio, TX and am lucky enough to have a studio and it's a very large room 20x15 but in addition to scrapping, I also quilt and crochet with tons of yarn, lots of fabric so organization is a must. Hence I signed up right away for this class. I do think that I am organized, it's in my nature because of my job. I force myself to go to my used paper storage area whenever starting a new project it's not what I want to do but I found that I was putting scrap paper in my storage area and it matched what I had in there already, so now I'm a purist about making sure that I check out my used stuff 1st. My current problem is varing weights of paper and it's all gotten thrown in together, so I'll be clearing that up this weekend but I have run out of space for my paper some is in a shelving system (packed to the gills) and some paper in drawers - hence it's not organized. I also tend to forget about my wooden stamps because they are in a drawer, I go to my clear stamps all the time but constantly 4-get about my wooden stamps. Looking so forward to this class.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Lyn7952

Lyn7952,

I also forget about my stamps....all of them...lol. I started to remove my wooden stamps from the wood (they just take up too much room) back in the summer last year, but then found out that we would be moving, so everything got packed up as it was. I really need to finish that project and make a master list of the stamps I have so I don't buy duplicates.

I also love the idea of organizing layout ideas by the number of pictures that are in the layout. I will be working on doing this on Saturday morning as my husband has a half marathon that he is running in (then it is back home to do some scrapping!!!)

palominogirl
Tenant
palominogirl
In response to rgridings

This is perfect timing for me because I have a new scrapbooking room and all my stuff is in boxes. What doesn't work for me is not enough storage.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dabnat

Oh dear. I'm the red-headed step-sister from across the pond in the UK's beautiful west country. OK, not completely red-headed, just a bit ginger-ish.

I have a WHOLE CORNER of our study/ computer/ music/ treatment room for my scrap stuff. I have a generous IKEA corner desk, with a drawer unit underneath and 6 shelves above. Good, fat shelves. My albums and some papers live on the bottom shelf of the bookcase behind me. My papers and card-stock live in magazine boxes on the floor in front of the bookcase. My other crafting stuff (sewing machine, projects not begun yet, water-colour and acrylic painting) live under the desk with the waste bin and the recycling bag.

I'm still reading through all the contents of the first e-mail, but I've worked out that I need to do a LO and highlight all the areas that don't work properly.

And the biggest area that doesn't work properly is the pile of unfinished LOs (no deadline or deadline passed) which have to be kept flat.

I think I'm going to start a new album in my Gallery just for this project, because I sense a few photos coming up...

Thanks for doing this Jill!

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

WOW! So glad to be part of the GET ORGANIZED! series.I had a water damage incident in my scrap space and EVERYTHING has been stored in the dining room while the room was repaired. WHAT A MESS! Now I am trying to put it all back in...UGH! I am so overwhelmed and have vowed not to put anything back into the room I don't want or need. What to do...where to start. Downloaded my room assessment and will try to use it as my jumping point...I look forward to all the support I will get here!!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to jlbaum127

The first problem I'm going to have with the assessment sheet is that there is only one space for locations. I'm going to have to add some extra room since I have pp/cs & paints all over the house :>)

I have a feeling I'm going to flunk this class ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-02-13 02:14 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

LOL Judy I have the same problem. Plus I can't write that small. I modified it just a bit so I have more room to write, but now it takes up 2 pages.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-02-13 05:30 PM
In response to Vae

Haha, well I'm an idiot - I didn't realize you could click on the table and download a template.

Jill - would it be possible to get the template as an Excel file so we can each make changes to fit our specific situations?

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to stick

Hi everyone, I'm from Florida. I'm still going over the assessment. My "space" right now is non existent until we finish getting settled into our new place. My papers are in plastic recollections folders and I'm working out of tote bags.

My biggest issues I need to deal with are actually getting a desk set up in my bedroom I can work on and getting my supplies organized in containers in my closet.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-02-13 09:30 PM
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Jill - would it be possible to get the template as an Excel file so we can each make changes to fit our specific situations?

I'll check and see what can be done. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Coming to you from Utah. I'm lucky enough to have a room I can dedicate to my creative efforts. Because I do more than just scrap in there, I simply refer to it as my creativity room. It's mostly in pretty good shape, but I know there is always more to learn! I haven't had a chance to make my layout yet, but I'm excited to do so. I'm going to have to kind of make my own space assessment because I don't have a printer to print it out, but browsing over it, I can already identify a couple of problem areas: Layouts in progress and memorabilia. I'll be interested in seeing how others handle these areas!

Edited by shurgood07 on 05-03-13 12:21 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to shurgood07

OK, issue #1:
The different requirements of desk-scrapping vs cropping. If I make everything perfectly accessible for desk-scrapping (eg. taking card-stock out of packs and sorting it into ROYBGIV/pink/black/white/ kraft) it will make my monthly crops a nightmare to pack for. Hmm.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
The first problem I'm going to have with the assessment sheet is that there is only one space for locations. I'm going to have to add some extra room since I have pp/cs & paints all over the house :>)

I have a feeling I'm going to flunk this class ~Judy

My first thought on that is, would it be easier for you if they weren't all over the house? As in, if all your c/s was in one place, your paints all together in another place? If you already have the most used c/s and paints to hand, and the least-used elsewhere, then you already have it organised to work for you. That's not flunking!

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham

HELLO from Oklahoma City!

I signed up for this class because I absolutely LOVE my scrapbook room, and organizing it (and reorganizing it)! I am already very organized, but love learning new ways and getting great new ideas!

I like my storage to be effective and functional, yet cute. If I had my "dream" room, it would look like a candy shop inside. I have a *thing* for those tilted candy jars with the silver lids, and love all kinds of stacked baskets, tierred serving trays and cake pedestals. ROYGBIV everywhere. Ahhhh ... my happy place, LOL!

I'll be loading pics in my gallery momentarily of my Before space.

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120

Judy there's no way you can flunk it!! First of all, your scrapping stuff in within a mile of you, not 3000 like me!

Hi everyone! I'm currently living in Germany, but my scrapbooking supplies and my permanent home are in Rhode Island! I'm doing this class now because when I return home I'll be moving again and I want to move some of my scrapping stuff with me to school since I might actually have a corner I can designate for scrapping! Which brings me to my next issue...

I have no scrapbooking space! I have a closet with stuff in it, and some of my stuff is hidden in decorative boxes placed near tables, but ultimately I have no space designated as scrapping space. I hope to change that, but right now it's hard considering I'm not there!

So when I return home in 10 weeks I will be able to post photos and whatnot. I'll be a bit behind, but I've always been a fast student!

-Stephanie

Edited by SJB1120 on 05-03-13 07:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to SJB1120

Hello to everyone from Iowa!

I have a room dedicated to scrapbooking, but it's an awkwardly sized and shaped room which makes arrangment a challenge. I think I finally got it almost right, but there is always room for improvement! I haven't had time to read through the materials yet (weekend goal) but off the top of my head I'd say my biggest challenges are storing all the random, miscellaneous items, project management (I have a tendancy to start projects and never finish them), and making storage easy to use. I can start with a neat area, but after a few weeks it's a mess because it's just easier to pile stuff on the shelf rather than actually dragging the bins out and putting things where they go.

Looking forward to participating in this class a lot!

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to *jesse*

Hi! I'm Sherry in Montana. My scrap space is what I call my "scrapnook". It's at the end of my kitchen and I just purged some stuff again. My goal was to get down to just a shelf in one of the cabinets, but I'm still using three, not counting photo album storage. I like having some paper items on hand for hybrid scrapbooking and projects, but need the space more for kitchen storage.

There is a small, plastic wheeled cart in my room with scrap items in it and also my completed albums are up in my closet. I didn't want to store those at the end of my kitchen!

Thanks for this class and I hope I get a little more than just my scrap stuff in more efficient places.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Greenacres

Hiya from Houston!

I am already pretty organized, and can't stand clutter. It eats at me and I can't feel free to create..

My studio is six-foot table and behind it is a full wall of bookcases and a desk unit with hutch. I sit between the table and wall unit. I have geology books and genealogy on one set of shelves and scrapbook supplies on the other. My CS is organized on a nice horizontal wire shelf unit made for that purpose. My PPs are mostly in pad form and stand vertically directly behind me. The lose pps are located in the top three shelves of the wire unit. Christmas pads on the bottom three shelves. This works well for me. The thing is my ribbons are on a pants hanger in the closet, I have to get up, walk around my table across the room to get to them. That part is okay but I find that out sight means out of mind.

My inks and stamps are in a covered basket and are also outta sight. Its a small basket so I have to dig to get to what I want. I don't use them often but want to used them more. My photos are in hanging folders organized by person and are on the bottom shelf in two large file boxes, easy to get to. My punches are in a desk drawer and I have to lean over and pick up each one til I find the one I want. Tools are stored right on my table in an open tool holder, its an ugly cardboard box with 6 plastic cups. I should cover it and make it pretty! Small pieces and bits are in a small 5 drawer plastic bin on my studio work table top right next to the tools. My larger CS pieces are in a large 3 drawer bin under the worktable. On top of that is a wooden cutting board that serves as a table for my silhouette. large pieces of pp are in a plastic portfolio case laying on top of one of the file folder boxes right behind me. Also easy to reach but kinda hard to sort thru.

It all works but is not perfect. I want to find a better way to get my ribbon, my punches, my inks and stamps where I can see them. I like the nice look of the covered baskets but they just aren't really workable.

Conclusion, I have already done the preliminary work and know just what I want to change.

I am with Vae, bits and pieces stack up on one end of my table as I work unless I force myself to clean up after each LO which interrupts the flow. Its a nice neat stack most of the time but still it adds up.

I am hoping to get some good ideas from this class.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to Jill

I read over the material and sat in my studio (LOVE that word, Jill!) and just felt overwhelmed. I'm glad we have a week because I'm going to need it. I have my own area but it's not strictly scrapping, it's my office so it's really a combo area. It's actually a loft so I only have three walls, which makes it difficult to arrange for storage.

I guess what I'm going to do is set a timer for myself and just jump in and work for a certain amount of time each day. Then I can get stuff into bins and start figuring out what is working and what needs to be rehomed (or given a home).

Oh, I'm from Tracy, CA.

Edited by Victoriaj on 05-03-13 11:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to Victoriaj

OMG - I can't believe I did this- but so need it!!

I'm in Florida and since we are on the count down to hot summer days where I stay indoors as much as possible I figured now is the time to see if I can get my room to work more efficiently.

I love the fact I have a dedicated room for my crafting studio equipped with an easy chair for those rest periods.
I love having two counters for work space, but hate the fact I still don't seem to have things organized into convenient locations. Having four separate spots just for 12x12 papers does not efficient or effective.

I am look for change!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sewflake

I have reorganized my "studio" twice in the last 8 months. My room was my craft/office, but since I no longer work from home, I wanted to expand into that area. I gave it a chance, but hated it. So much to my hubby's horror, I tore it down and started again. Like it better.

But I have 2 or 3 real problem areas. 1)Finding good places for larger tools (score-pal, large cutter, etc), 2) most things have a place, but then when I use them it seems a hassle to put them back so they stay out, and 3) the cleanup after each layout/project before you start the next one.

It's going to rain here all weekend in Illionis, so first I have to buy ink to print the handout, then do the layout.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-03-13 02:32 PM
In response to bogey_scrapper

SPACE ASSESSMENT HANDOUT UPDATE:

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material you get to from the Week #1 email. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Following is the link to the new seven page printable version with larger spaces for notes:

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Jill

ZOWIE, Y'ALL ROCK!

Tenant
In response to Jill

You gals are funny, I read every post!

Hello, my name is Kim, I live in southern Ohio. Quick summary, I lived in the same house for 30 years and had my own room 25 x 15. My husband died suddenly long story but I had to move and have moved 3 more times since. I moved in with my Mother last year she had Alzheimer. She had a quilt room so I began moving my stuff in there. She passed in March and I had to take in a roommate and give up the big quilt room and take my Mom's bedroom 9x12.

I don't have all my stuff here yet but I did manage to get Mom's quilt table in the room as my workstation, one bookcase, one antique dresser, one Expedit (I have two more in storage), 2 Iris carts, four M's cubes and lots of plastic drawers.

I always loved using grid paper to arrange my home. So, I have the room measured and on the grid paper and the furniture measured and cut in little pieces BUT it all doesn't fit!!!!

I am very organized BUT when I don't have the right storage container or furniture for the 'stash' I am a mess.

I put the quilt table in the center of the room across the longest of the 12ft and hoping to achieve more storage space by using the center of the floor space that is usually wasted when everything is lined up along the walls. And hoping to make a U shaped workstation. Via, stamp station, cutting station and general all purpose workstation. As soon as I get the rest of my stuff which I hope to have all scrap room stuff by next weekend.

In my previous room I didn't have the Expedits and my cutting station was a 6 foot table with the CH's verticals lined up on the back side of the table with my cutting tools under table for easy access. I would choose my pictures first then paper and sketch and cut then move to workstation leaving the mess on the cutting table. So, I am spoiled.

After attempting a layout here, now that the paper is in the CH's in the Expedits I know I don't like 'not' having a table to spread out some pretty paper and make a selection....I am thinking I need a solution maybe a small table in between two Expedits. They hold a lot of stuff.

In Jan I found the perfect answer to my stamp storage and still working on that.

I have had an Inventory binder for about 8 years but it also needs some work.

So, the space assessment is a work in progress because I don't have everything here.

Looking forward to sharing with all of you. Hoping to upload some pictures from my phone 'cause having issues with computer importing from camera. The ugly paneling in the room cast a gold tone on pic's, oh yeah paneling and red shag carpet, yuck!!

Edited by claytonrk on 05-04-13 02:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Del Marie Riley
New Kid On the Block
Del Marie Riley
In response to Jill

Hello. I am from Colorado. I've read all the posts and y'all are a hoot. This is the 2nd organizing class I've done this year. While I learned a few things in the 1st, it wasn't a system for me. I like to SEE everything I have because out of sight is out of mind. My atelier is in my bedroom and my husband despises it. When we moved here in Sept. 2012, I went from my own huge room to a little spot in the corner. Big change for me. I'm debating taking over the garage instead. Looking forward to seeing what this class has in store.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to Jill

Thank you, Jill! This is awesome!!

• Jill Said:
SPACE ASSESSMENT HANDOUT UPDATE:

We have made a new Excel Version and printable version of the Space Assessment Handout. The Excel version is on the first page of the Week #1 material you get to from the Week #1 email. Look for the link that says 'Excel Version.' You can click that link, and the handout will instantly download into your downloads area on your computer.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-04-13 05:44 PM
In response to Victoriaj

Even though I wasn't TRYING to, today while I was working on some challenges I couldn't help but try to pick up after myself more throughout. Putting things back where they go soon after I'm done using them... throwing my scraps n shreds away as I go instead of letting them pile up.

It's so funny, I have never worked on projects for more than an hour and had my tables look THIS good. BUT, it did seriously put a damper on my creative flow. I really wasn't doing it intentionally, I think just because I have this class on my mind recently it made me more aware. But I think I might have to make a conscious decision to be messy while I work. LOL. Or maybe, hopefully I'll learn some other tips and ways of doing this during the class.

What about you? Has anyone noticed you've been doing things differently (intentionally or unintentionally) since you read the first chapter?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-04-13 05:50 PM
In response to Vae

Vae, maybe something like tossing the scraps immediately is just a habit you need to develop. My space is so limited that I'm forced to tidy a bit as I go along, so I just got into the habit of tossing unusable papers, putting things away or at least back in the appropriate container when I'm done with that aspect of a project, etc.

What I REALLY need to do is extend this organizational training to the rest of my stuff - books, magazines, CDs to upload, etc. etc. etc.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to stick

Hi. Just located this thread again (having seen that the last one was in this area). I have joined the class and printed out the smaller template. I am looking forward to using the bigger one though, so thanks for that! I am quite excited about tackling my organization issues.

I am lucky enough to have my own dedicated scrap room, but my room is pretty small (I think it is 8' x 9' but I can't find the tape measure to make sure right now) and I have to share it with my computer/home office area)... so I have two desks in it.

The walls in my room are plaster/sheet rock combo. It is tough to hang some things on them... like towels rods (for punch storage for instance).

And I also have cats... crazy cats. They will find and destroy or just play with things that are left out for them. Ribbons, small embellishments, sticky mats, the eye drop style distress ink refills, etc. etc. have to be kept well away from them. I can't put ribbons on dowels or put most anything dainty in an uncovered bin for them to discover. They have done damage to a few things I've been silly enough to forget or just figure they wouldn't have an interest in.

In addition, I like stuff. I am a self described hoarder... but a very organized one... normally. The good news on that front is that I know I wouldn't be able to function in a room that was too "neat" and sterile so getting rid of all my "clutter" would never be my first option. I wouldn't feel creative in a room like that. I like to have some personal momentos (even if they don't match my decor) around me when I create.

After scrapping all day yesterday (NSD) I've discovered several specific areas I am needing to address... like ribbon, die and die machine, TEMPLATE, and stamp storage. But I think I was even surprised to find that I have a few things that already work really, really well for me... like my awesome scrap, adhesive, and most used tools storage systems.

Tenant
In response to Vae

I haven't read it yet, but I know I need help. My last room had a garbage can just under the table/desk and I bought a little hand held broom and dustpan and hung it on a O ring with a string SO I wouldn't lose it under the mess!!

Now, I can't find space for a can I am using a quilt table so there are shelves under so I am thinking maybe a rectangle/oval bucket things with no holes in to just grab & trash.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to Jill

I finished the space audit yesterday. Two of my grand kids (young) spent the night then used "my space" most of the day, for their computer needs. While I was off my game as far as creativity went, it did provide me with time to assess my room, my needs, and my wants/must haves.

To my surprise I had a lot more areas that work well and I am happy with, than areas that just don't work effectively. Most of those areas deal with 8.5x11 card stock, 12x12 pattern paper, embellishments, kits, ribbon, and room decor.

Not only did I identify the area but I started working on a couple of them. I went through the wire drawers to the far left of my standing work space to purge, organize, and dust! I had not realized how long it had been since I went through that area of my studio!! Not to mention how long it has been since I used anything in the lower half of the drawers.

Then I started tackling the work space on top by de-cluttering then rearranging the wire bars and ruler round up shelf that is starting to fall down. I had purchased a second counter just to have a deep enough work space with a multitude of storage on the top too. I can not attach anything major to the walls permanently, it is all free standing. I don't mind as it makes it easier to rearrange.

It looks so much better already that I am ready to tackle more!! The added plus of more work space! I'm ready

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to claytonrk

Claytonrk, your garbage bin and little broom sound like a great idea for quick cleaning. I have a garbage and recycle basket at the ready myself, but the cats like both of them a lot.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to KatieJo

Hi I'm Jane from South Eastern Ohio...I've got an 8 x 8 room very small and not well organized and to be honest I've looked through all of the photo's and no one has the mess I have.

I tried putting all of my embellishments on my clip it up but that doesn't work I've had my room sorted by color did not work. I've tried working by theme doesn't work I'm still trying to find what works for me.

Tenant
In response to Vae

RE: TRASH I remembered today seeing somewhere a desk-table with a 1 by 4 in slot with a trash can under the desk!!

Yesterday I did some more layouts and I am having issues with too much STUFF on my workspace. I am doing Project Life and I found this beautiful antique tray and put all my PL products in there because I don't have all my regular scrap stuff here. Anyways, I need to do something either move everything else on the table or find a place for the tray.

Maybe I will wait to decide after I get the U shape desktop completely. just thinking out loud!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to claytonrk

I have two rubbish bins under my desk; one for recycling and one for non-recycling. I have a little bucket on my desk for paper scraps that are too small to use. It's really handy having it, well, to hand.

I've done 5 LOs since this started, and I keep forgetting to fill in the form. But I haven't had any real hassle finding my things - all except for 5 photos that I have no idea where they are. How annoying is that?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-06-13 07:59 AM

So - the last couple of weeks we've had the big picture windows in the living room and kitchen/dining nook replaced, which meant that all the furniture and stuff the normally sits next to the windows has been pulled away from it and the place has been a mess. Yesterday we were finally able to put it all back in place. Two of these pieces of furniture are large cabinets where we store large art books, albums, scrappy supplies, and other craft supplies. I'd always been annoyed by the cabinet where the scrappy supplies were, because it's a bit of a pain to be actively taking stuff out and putting it back when I'm scrapping. BUT, it's the only cabinet deep enough to hold 12x12 paper.

So, I played around a bit and INSPIRATION! I figured out that I can fit Cropper Hoppers in the smaller cabinet by stacking them 3 deep. When in use, I can easily turn them sideways for access, then turn them back when done and I can close the door. So now I'm in the process of reorganizing scrappy stuff into the smaller cabinet, which will be so much easier to use. I need to remember to take a pic of the new cabinet.

I need a few more Cropper Hoppers, and I am so looking forward to the upcoming weeks of this class!!

borntoscrap
Diva
borntoscrap

Hi my name is Shelley. I finally got the space assessment done. I have a few "Trouble" areas, a lot of "is ok, just needs a good sort & clean" areas & more "works well" areas then I thought I'd have.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to borntoscrap

II completed the space assessment on Friday and while discussing it with a friend, realized my main problem/hot spot is that I don't hang my embellies and bling back up on my rack when I am done. I use a binder clip system and it is difficult to get to the things in the back, so I just pile them up to be put away later. The I get a HUGE pile that I dread dealing with. In talking to my friend, I think I would be happier with a Card Catalogue drawer type cabinet that I could put them in instead of hanging them but I am out of wall space to put a cabinet.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-06-13 01:36 PM
In response to terrihooper

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reading about the great thinking you all have been up to. Congratulations to those who have filled in your Space Assessment Handout and see what's up in your space!

Welcome to those who are just joining in. And a big THANK YOU to those who post; your experience and input is invaluable.

I know how creepy it can feel to create with reminders going through your head about putting things away. But, the clean up will become a habit before long and you're creative brain will settle into a place of sharing.

Week #2's email is coming tomorrow. Remember, there is no "behind" in this challenge. It's a self-paced opportunity designed to aid you in getting your studio where you want it to be.

If you need more time to resolve hot spots during some weeks, by all means, do so. There will be others posting in here for years as new people join the Challenge so, don't worry about "getting lost" or "forgotten". I thank you again for daring to be among the first through Get Organized!

I encourage you to save your incoming Get Organized emails under a "Get Organized" label in your email (in know gmail has this function). You'll know where to go for your info when ready for it.

Let's meet up in the Week #2 forum once you receive it.

Take deep breaths, often. This is fun when you let it be!

Tenant
In response to Jill

Well, I have assessed and will have to do it again when I get back with the rest on Sunday but here is what I have now.

1. Definitely need a table to sort paper when I start a layout. So I have two choices a) a small table between the two Ikeas or b) put the large table where the two Ikeas are and put one Ikea up high on the wall. Then store what I can under the table
2. Need to get all my pictures here and re-assess them.
3. Find a place for layouts in progress
4. Not liking how my stickers are stored in the large CM binder. It takes up so much space just to open it up.
5. Make more available space on workstation. Most of the stuff on it now will be distributed to other parts of the U shape workstation I want to create, hopefully....
6. Stamps, I love the Unikeep case binders but I need more of the pages and I don't like paying the price for them, need to find another solution
7. Buy new chair

Edited by claytonrk on 05-06-13 02:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to claytonrk

You know those stackable letter trays, the 3-sided office in-trays that hold letter-sized papers? Do they make those in 12"x12" size? I have 2 stacked letter-sized ones for scraps, but 12x12 stuff keeps falling out and landing on top of me. I would love 3 12"x12" trays, then I could use the bottom one for unfinished LOs rather than them taking up space on my desk.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Hi everyone!! Late to the party, but I just signed up for this class last night!! LOVE the idea of taking the time to actually figure out what works, what I like (that may or may not work!) and what is just a PIA.

I have a separate room that is mostly dedicated to my hobby, but it does have a desk with a computer on it, and a small 2 drawer file cabinet. The rest is my mess...I mean space

Anyway---looking forward to getting it all together!!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

They do, Rosey!! LOVE them to sort all my 12x12 paper.

I have the lipped trays made by Display Dynamics. I have 2 stacks of them on a double rolling base. Then I have 2 smaller stacks on the floor

The lipped trays do fit 12x12 paper including the strip that you slice off. I was worried about that before I got them.

They are a little expensive, but have helped so much in organizing my paper that I actually use more of it. Before them, I'd find that "perfect" paper when looking for another piece (of course that would be AFTER I didn't need it anymore).

I was a bit lucky because I bought my first bunch (including the base) from a friend cleaning out her room, and the second bunch from a yard sale.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Kim222

Paper seems to be the least of my problem have several keepers I can keep paper in my is embellishments and stamps stamps aren't to bad they are in dvd rack and zip up binders along with a close to my heart case.

I think if I can find a place for everything and everything in it's place I would be in good shape and a bigger table I think I'll be looking at good will for a small kitchen table that I can paint and put in my room.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Jill

So I completed Week 1 during week 1, but just found these forums about ten minutes ago.

I'm from Michigan; been scrapping for about five-ish years. In a combined effort of passions (long-time shopper, first-time scrapper), my stash grew from a 12x12 box to two large drawers.... to all over DS's playroom...to the cabinet and table I have today. I'm frequently in search of meaningful organization tips and tricks.

Right now, all my hot spots can be boiled down to a severe lack of prime real estate for all my belongings. Not everything has a place; it gets squirreled away and I can't find it again. Embellishments and the multitude of completed and non-completed projects just chucked into my cabinet need to be tackled first so I actually CAN put things away.

Here's the LO I created along with my evaluation. Want a secret? I brought the page and goodies up stairs to my Living Room to complete because my craft space was stressing me out. Later on, I returned to the basement and plunked the clutter (all my new BG goodies) into a cubbie; just so I could find my table.

Swanky By MommaSaid

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
They do, Rosey!! LOVE them to sort all my 12x12 paper.

I have the lipped trays made by Display Dynamics. I have 2 stacks of them on a double rolling base. Then I have 2 smaller stacks on the floor

The lipped trays do fit 12x12 paper including the strip that you slice off. I was worried about that before I got them.

They are a little expensive, but have helped so much in organizing my paper that I actually use more of it. Before them, I'd find that "perfect" paper when looking for another piece (of course that would be AFTER I didn't need it anymore).

I was a bit lucky because I bought my first bunch (including the base) from a friend cleaning out her room, and the second bunch from a yard sale.

Thanks for the link, and the recommendation. It's always good to know about things that have worked for other people.

I've seen those available here in the UK. They are £8 PER TRAY and I need 3 (plus shipping, because they would have to be mail order). That is the cost of 2 paper stacks! I need to think about it and see where my priorities lie...

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Sneezy1956

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Paper seems to be the least of my problem have several keepers I can keep paper in my is embellishments and stamps stamps aren't to bad they are in dvd rack and zip up binders along with a close to my heart case.

I think if I can find a place for everything and everything in it's place I would be in good shape and a bigger table I think I'll be looking at good will for a small kitchen table that I can paint and put in my room.

Good project, and well done you for identifying the problem.

Another thought - how about IKEA? Have you got one anywhere near you? I wasn't an IKEA fan until we got our big desks and they are superb. I always thought it was flimsy stuff, but these things have survived 8+ years and 4 moves across 3 continents and are back home intact.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

ok, well I finally have filled out my worksheet and figured out that some things work and some things don't work....surprising me a little....

Now on to week 2!

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to rgridings

Did I ever find a HOT spot over the week end. One that I consistently over look!!
I have a shelf full of albums and 8, that's right, eight boxes full of finished layout not in said album!! I think I know what my goal needs to be for this week.

Tenant
In response to Sewflake

Well, I now have 95% of my scrap stuff sitting in the living room waiting to be unpacked.

Dream room on a beach in Florida, all windows yet that would be a problem BUT this is a dream room. Lots of natural light. Teal/aqua/natural tones of sand/white for fresh and clean. Ideal and electronic system that has voice commands like 'insert stamp station' and 'retract stamp station' ahhhhhh, 'insert workstation with album' ahhhh, 'retract workstation in an undisclosed & Unseen location' ahhhhh. Clutter gone just a beautiful room left and light to bask in......

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to claytonrk

Dopey me! I haven't read the first email of the class series and didn't realize this board was here. I'm in Costa Mesa, CA (Orange County) and my scrap area is half of my bedroom's walk-in closet. I'll see about getting a before picture posted. I've gradually been trying to integrate some organization and have read tons of articles. However, it really is a mess.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to 11ROSES

LOL Welcome!

rahulsmom
Angel
rahulsmom

I love to be organized & got my first lesson yesterday. To some extent some things are working for me. I have a transparent shoe holders for my punches & hangs over my bedroom door. I use my punches a lot now.
I am trying to put samples of the stamps that I have on a 8.5x11 paper & then insert into a page protector. This way I will know what I have & decide not to purchase more flower stamps than what I already have.

autumngold
Mayor
autumngold
In response to claytonrk

Hi, I'm from Maryland.

What works about my space, there is a lot of space and light, I have a large sunroom half of which is dedicated to my scrapspace so when I scrap there's a lot of natural light.

What doesn't work:
I've moved around a lot so the furniture is odds and ends which have fit in other houses. While all the light is great for scrapping, it's horrible for paper so I keep my paper in another room. Also because the room is mostly windows there is almost no wall space. I have my scrap supplies on a 4x4 Ikea expedite and a tall plastic storage cart. My desk is a 4' table and a 5' table in an L shape. Right now on my table are the seedlings, DS's homework, DS's artwork, and my recent scrap project. I have a box with completed LOs which the cat is sleeping in. DS has also decided that my scrap desk is the perfect spot for him to do his homework.

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to autumngold

I did my space assessment last night and like others here I found a lot of things that are working, some that just need to be tweaked, and others that just need real help. I wanted to jump right in and start rearranging but I think it might be best to wait and go through each week's lesson first; there are bound to be great ideas coming. I don't have a permanent "workspace" and don't anticipate getting one soon so I didn't choose one of the options in the email - I either use a TV tray or a collapsable table I have when working on a layout (my supplies are in my bedroom closet). I took pictures and will post them in the "before' section in the next few days.

canyonjoy
New Kid On the Block
canyonjoy
In response to Jill

Hello everyone. I just joined this adventure in organizing our scrap spaces. I have my own hobby room, and while I love the idea of calling it a studio, I'm afraid it would be too confusing as we have a studio already where we do our work. Sigh. But it's good to have a room dedicated to scrapping after being stuck in a corner of our master bedroom for too many years.

I live in the middle of nowhere Arizona (Portal). And yes, it IS hot here...but it's a dry heat.

Edited by canyonjoy on 05-26-13 09:46 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to Kels

I am getting started on this a little late...I just finished a major overhaul of my craft room last weekend and found this class now. Oh, well. There is always room for improvement.

We live in Maryland and I got very lucky when we bought this house. There are 2 "bedrooms" upstairs, but no door in between, so our master bedroom is on one side and I get the other, including the walk in closet.

I do have to use it for other stuff. I have a lot of hobbies (scrapbooking, quilting, cross stitch, stamp collecting, and I am working on learning Korean) which I tend to "flit" between when the mood strikes me, so they all have to fit into the one room.

I did the assessment and found that some things are working well. Much of my stuff is stored in the closet in grey tubs/caddies on wire shelves. It allows me to pull the tub out and dig through it to find what I want to play with. This method works well for me when it come to buttons, ribbons, paint, punches, etc.

Some stuff is not working so well, my paper storage/sorting, embellishments, current projects and my layout ideas/sketches. Right now, the majority of my time is spent going from pile to pile and drawer to drawer looking for the right pieces. I am looking forward to the future weeks to see some new ideas for those areas.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to Jill

Well, it doesn't look from the posts that anyone else is doing week 1 anymore, but I just received my email for it and just printed the assesment.
My name is Laura and I am from VA. and all I know is I have a very small corner in a small room that we call the office because it has our desktop PC, desk and file cabinet in the middle, my space at one end with 1 wooden shelf, a sterilite 3 drawer, 1 overhead shelf and a piece of wide board my husband put up against the wall for my workspace and a peg board above that. The other end of the room is for suitcases and other misc. storage stuff. So knowing all that, as far as my little space goes, at this point I feel none of my Organizational systems (what I have anyway are working for me, I need help badly and unfortunately on top of it all, I have a VERY tight budget, like if I am lucky about $50 a month and not every month.
Thanks to anyone that comes back and reads my rambling, lol

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to Scrap Chica

Sorry for my comment, for some reason unknown to me, i was not being able to see any posts past page 1, so I didn't think anyone had been here.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake

Laura, sure, we are still here!! I just checked in again this morning (early) and noticed people still posting there assessment info here. We are all at different levels of completion up to week 5 so be sure to watch all the threads for chatter.

There is defiantly more than 1 page of posts on this thread, maybe your PC will let you see them all when you check in again.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Sewflake

Yep Laura, we are still checking the threads in this forum. Good news is that there are lots of ideas out there... some are pretty cheap to boot. I've made a few changes and haven't spent anything yet. It doesn't have to be an expensive storage solution for it to work.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to KatieJo

I'm still checking too Laura. Next week you get to post your "before" pictures, so that we can see your space and maybe help out a little more with suggestions. You might find that being a couple of weeks behind benefits you, because we've been through it already and have found out what works and what doesn't.

To see the next page, there ought to be an arrow pointing backwards, a 1 and a 2 just beneath where it says Previous Topic/Next Topic, above the Quick Reply box. If you don't see it, go to the Tech Support Forum and let Megan-Lisa know. She'll be able to help you.

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES

No worries about when you get here. I started 2-3 weeks late myself. And your monthly budget would be a dream for me. We just have to get creative in our storage containers, use dollar stores and Big Lots, garage sales, Goodwill, DIY if possible. I even keep boxes and containers like Bath & Body Works and Godiva chocolates (a company present at Christmas), things that can be reused. The main thing is to have a space that functions for us, and how we get there will be different for everyone.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to 11ROSES

Thank you for all the support ladies! It is greatly appreciated, I finished my assesment sheet this evening and am really discouraged now, lol, not sure how many things there were total but I know I only said No to the needing help on about 7-9 things, so that is alot that is wrong, no wonder I have o mojo and haven't scrapped in a year. Not sure am I suppose to list all the things that didn't work for me here or what?

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

Don't be discouraged! It will all get better throughout the course. We are here to support you, be a sounding board for you to bounce ideas off of, and give you suggestions if needed! Remember, we are all scrappy sisters here!

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to rgridings

Thanks so much for that, it really means alot, I just feel overwhelmed right now, my space is so small with soo many problems and hot spots, I know that I will have to buy things for me to be able to get organized the way I want and I am on such a tight budget, I just don't see how it will happen, my problem isn't necessarily too much stuff like alot of you have, I don't think I have many supplies at all, but it's getting them organized and to the point where they are more accesible to me. I guess I will go ahead and take pics so you guys can see even though I haven't reached my 2nd week to get the next email, maybe it will help for me to do that.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

Believe me, I know what it is like feeling overwhelmed. We recently made a military move from Texas, where we had a huge 1 car garage that I had laid down indoor/outdoor carpet in and used that as my scrap room, sewing room, and the kid's craft area, to Washington, where we moved to a apartment. We now have no extra room, so I am "sharing" the Dining room as my scrap space. My sewing machine is put up in my bedroom closet right now cause I have no where to keep it out and all of the kid's craft items are in my DD's closet for storage, if they want to do something, they need to bring it out to the dining room table...... so I really know your feeling of being overwhelmed.

Sewflake
Mayor
Sewflake
In response to KatieJo

• KatieJo Said:
Yep Laura, we are still checking the threads in this forum. Good news is that there are lots of ideas out there... some are pretty cheap to boot. I've made a few changes and haven't spent anything yet. It doesn't have to be an expensive storage solution for it to work.

I'm with KatieJo, I have made a number of changes and have spent $15 for several Cropper Hoppers during the Memorial Day sales. I have made space in my room for more organized supplies with plenty of empty storage containers. I do need to purchase a couple of new scrap paper holders as the ones I am using are wearing out.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to Sewflake

I haven't spent any money.. with the 3rd child getting close to college while the other 2 are still there spending money on storage seems a little silly. Use what you have, there are so many creative and "free" ideas for storage here it will amaze you!

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to dabnat

My long-time goal for this whole thing is to use what I have before I buy anything!

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to rgridings

Hi, hope everyone is doing ok. just poking my head in, I guess I won't receive my week 2 email until Tuesday so Im a lil bored, lol. I did take photos of my space and will be putting them in the "before" thread, forgive my long-windedness but I talked about all my problem areas in my descriptions, I thought that would be the best way, especially for those that aren't as behind as I am. And even though I didn't want to waste budget money before I knew whether I would need to buy anything to organize with, my hubby offered to take me to M's yesterday because I had all these great coupons that were going to expire, soo...I didn't really feel I got the amount of stuff I felt I "needed" for my money, actualy it is depressing to know that I ent way over my monthly budget (without my hubby saying a thing to me, although I know he was upset). I spent $74 and that was with all 50% and 40% off coupons. I got one of those Iris Photo and craft Keepers that have 16 smaller 4x6 comtainers in them, to redo my photo storage, I need advice on the best way to purge things not needing or wanting to scrap and what to do with those pictures and to reorganize the ones I am going to scrap into this keeper. Also I got the Scoth ATG gun, I have wanted for so long, everyone says you can save so much money this, I am off to see if that is correct I also got a pack of Ranger mini misters to make my own sprays with, now I have to find some vid's or something that tells how exactly you do that, lol. not something I "needed" but something I have been wanting to do, I don't have as much inventory as alot of you do, so trying cheaper ways to "get" some of those things I like to use. Also, a recollections 12x12 album for my daughter's high school years and graduation I need to start working on, the album is cool in that it is like chipboardy in color and feel, so I can decorate it for her using her HS colors, some sheet protectors that I hope to use in some binders for organizing things, and Tim Holtz's Crowded Attic 12x12 paper pack. IMHO, not too many items for that amt. of moneuy and not enough organizing stuff. I had wanted to go to staples to get some file dividers that I wanted to use to organize my stickers in a binder but after M's my hubby was not willing to take me there to spend anymore, lol. So now I probably won't be able to buy anything else til we get back from summer vacation in July.
So anyway, please go to the other thread and comment on my disaster area, thanks !

Edited by Scrap Chica on 06-02-13 12:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapcrazy121104
Tenant
scrapcrazy121104
In response to Sewflake

Hi everyone! I realize everyone has been going at this organization thing for weeks and weeks. I just moved to South Carolina and don't have but a few things we had to bring with us. When we do get to move into our new place, with the intent that I'm getting the place I really want, I'm going to have a very small crafting room all to myself!!! I was wondering if I needed to join and if I'm too late to I understand. All of scrapbooking things including pictures are back in Medina, Ohio in a storage unit and I miss them immensely. My goal is to be as organized as I can be when I get my stuff in August and I can be ready to go in my scrapbooking room as quickly as possible. Of course I need to make sure the rest of the house is in order but, anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for reading.
I've been browsing through the posts and have already downloaded the assessment so that I have it when I move to my new place.

Amy in South Carolina

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to scrapcrazy121104

Welcome in! This is a self-paced class and people join at various times. I was a few weeks behind myself.

It's really helpful to have everyone post their thoughts; I continually check all the threads for ideas. I hope to be seeing more of your posts in the weeks to come.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to 11ROSES

Amy,

I feel for you. We just moved and I have been trying to organize my craft room. I have to have 3 work stations because I have to share the room with my husband and daughter. Which isn't bad now that I figured out how to make every thing fit.

I have more organizing in the closet to do but I think I figured out how to get some much needed shelf space. And I think I can put all my stuff i there neatly so I can get to it easily.....

Hopefully you will get the house you want....

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dorichatelain

Welcome Amy. There's no pressure. You can go as fast or slow as you wish on this course. It's actually good being a little behind, because others have gone through the "pain barrier" first and have some great ideas to share.

rimes
rimes 
New Kid On the Block
rimes
  • rimes on 07-10-13 08:42 AM
In response to Jill

Hi Ladies, I am from Australia and found this wonderful website and love the free classes.

I have mapped my scrapbook room, cleared my 'workspace', made a two page layout using photos of my scraproom, before I started to tidy it up. I have also started writing notes on my Space Assessment Handout. I have also added 5 photos to the 'BEFORE' post and in my Gallery eeeek

Now to sit down and read it to see if there is more to do for Week #1

Edited by rimes on 07-10-13 08:43 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 07-10-13 11:07 AM
In response to rimes

Welcome to all of our new participants, I'm so happy you found this forum and the Get Organized information. Keep in mind this is an ongoing class so there is no "behind." Relax and enjoy your processes because this information will be here for many years and getting overwhelmed just makes things look worse than they really are.

I heard a great quote the other day from my daughter-in-law. It goes something like this:

You're only one thought away from being happy or unhappy. Let's make our "one thought" carry us to the spaces of our dreams; one action and decision at a time.

Join in with discussions and class information and work at your own pace and budget. It's all good.

Thanks to those of you who post encouragement and solutions for us. You're amazing and I appreciate each of you!!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Jill

Um, did anyone else just receive the welcome email and the week 1 email for a second time?

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Um, did anyone else just receive the welcome email and the week 1 email for a second time?

Not me.

scrapmasterlb
Guru
scrapmasterlb
In response to KatieJo

Hi, I am Lisa. I live in a suburb of Kansas City, in Missouri. My first scrap area was in my kitchen and a big rolling tote. My best friend and I took turns hosting crop nights while our kids entertained themselves. Boy that was fun, but I don't think we were organized. But we managed. Back then most of my supplies were kept into two rolling plastic cabinets. (I still have them they are tucked away in a closet in the basement..with various supplies.) Then I was lucky to have all my stuff in a bedroom. I find that my organization depends on what kind of project I will be doing. Oh, I did finish my assessment and even finished a layout for a challenge. Now my studio, is desk in the corner of a basement living area. The desk is surrounded by various baskets, one shelving unit, a cd rack to hold some stamps, a paper storage container to help store the stacks of paper, a tool box that stores my inks, a small portable drawer system that has various tools and punches, a sticker stadium that has 1/4 of my stickers, and one hell of a messy desk. I completed my layout. I should have time it. I did notice that I have some leftovers from a previous project still on my desk that I am planning to use fairly quickly. A pile of stamps that don't fit into my binder system.A stack of ink pads that I haven't put away. Well, you get the idea. I find myself posing this question ; Have I scrapped with this mess so long that it is comfortable? I did realize that I usually clean before starting a big project which includes going through my paper and pulling those that I think I will use and I sort of plan things out on paper. Yes, I will say it I am a list maker. (even with my scrapbooking) Thanks to all the posts I have discovered some new ideas.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to scrapmasterlb

Welcome Lisa! That's good that you've identified how you work. It's strange how we discover these things about ourselves on this class, when we never thought about it before!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Working on my scrapbook inventory now. This excites me....is that weird? Haha.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsrogers52513

LOL No!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Haha, thank you! My husband looks at me like I'm crazy!

New Kid On the Block
In response to mrsrogers52513

Hello Everyone! I've just signed up for the organizing course (better late than never). My DH is going to be so happy since my studio/office is so unworkable that my papercrafting has been spilling into the living room, the rec room. It is a really mess. I'll take the pictures for the layout but no sure I can even think about doing the layout without a couple of weeks of cleaning ahead. Nevertheless I off to take pictures and get started.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MrsMac62

Welcome! This is a great course with a lovely lot of ladies willing to share and help. Enjoy!

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 08-07-13 06:12 PM
In response to MrsMac62

Welcome to all who have signed in recently. We're happy you're here and congratulations for being brave.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Hello all...just started the class this week. So far, I've taken before photos. Tomorrow, my goal is to clear off my workspace by putting everything in boxes. Baby steps, baby steps! I think my worst problem is that any time I see a cute Kleenex box, or a scrap of ribbon, or a bit of paper, I save it, "to be used later." Or maybe my worst problem is buying tons and tons of supplies (product) and I haven't really even started scrapping yet. I've made a few cards and I finally did a Project Life scrapbook of photos of my husband and son. My husband is very ill, so I really wanted to get the scrapbook done. Anyway, I'd like to thank you ladies for having this class. It is going to be so helpful.
BTW, I live in rural northeast Kansas and have a just-turned-20-year-old son.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to HeatherMcD

Welcome! It sounds as if you really need this course to get you going. Let us know how you get on?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Welcome! I'm still trying to assess....weeks later. I feel like I'm just moving stuff from one pile to another!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics