Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: Get Organized Week 1: Space Assessment        (Topic#1587221)
KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to mrsrogers52513

Hi Heather!

Maybe you can use your cute kleenex box as storage (assuming you've already used the tissues in it of course) for storage for your odds and ends like those bits of paper and scraps of ribbon. I find things like that and save them too. If I organize them though, I actually do get them used.

So welcome!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to KatieJo

Got slightly more organized today! Theres not stuff laying all over the floor anymore! I have a cart with drawers I need to put together yet. I also need to buy a few cropper hoppers and some paper storage and storage for my Copics on Friday when I take a little road shopping trip

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Hello everyone!
I just started this class in hopes of being able to revamp my crafting area so that I can move around in my studio and be able to make some projects while healing from a broken foot.

When I started scrapping again in 2008, I was just doing cards and some small paper projects. But now after watching everyone on the web and seeing everyone's work on different sites, I want to learn to do everything especially albums and decorative items.

So the things that I bought in the beginning aren't necessarily working for me anymore and I am sorting through things to get rid of and trying to make room for the things I need to do what I want to do.

I recently broke my foot so I have limited mobility and I will probably have to have surgery after this part of the foot heals. So I have lots of time for planning at the moment.

Also, I know that at some point within the next year, I will be moving to another state where I will be able to design and build my dream studio so this class will be doubly beneficial.

I am also a Porcelain Doll Artisan and avid fashion knitter so my studio has many purposes - another challenge here in Colorado where I am currently living with my husband who has frontal lobe dementia from being hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago.

We have good days and not so good days but I try to make the best of the time we have left together.

Hope to meet the rest of you soon,
Cherlyn

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to OnePaperSnip

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your foot, hope it feels better soon! Happy to hear you'll be able to have a dream studio!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Welcome Cherlyn! This class is great fun and really shed light on how I thought I did things as opposed to how I really do them. And points out better ways. It's great!

New Kid On the Block

Thanks for your kind reply. I am really looking forward to making changes upstairs in my studio! I have so many projects I want to make - there are so many talented paper artists out there.

Cherlyn

New Kid On the Block
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I am already seeing that I should dedicate a spot if I can to making a cutting area with the paper supply very close at hand...

Lots to think about! Any pointers, organizers?

Cherlyn

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 08-17-13 12:10 AM
In response to OnePaperSnip

Welcome to all of our newbies; it's so nice to have you here.

We have participants at every stage of the challenge process now. We're half-way through on the weekly emails (from when the class first began) and I'm getting some fun emails.

There are a few who began the class the day it launched. They identified their problem areas, read ahead in the weekly emails to find solutions, made the changes and they're finished. They didn't revamp their studios because they didn't need to.

The majority of the emails are from those who are still immersed in addressing every inch of their studios. They're working at their own pace, learning, extracting and thinking through each phase. They've found out how they "really" work and are making changes--and progressing.

What's the key to success in your studio once your discover the weak links? Keep working. Keep going. Yep, even on discouraging days, or during those weeks where you don't have time to do anything. Just do one thing. You can do this and it's so worth the effort.

There were weeks when I'd have to say,"Okay, I don't have time, but I can set a timer for 10 minutes a day and work until it rings." And there were days when I'd walk in my studio-in-process and want to walk out. Instead of giving up I'd say, "Just pick up 25 items and put them away." I usually ended up doing a whole lot more than 25 and feeling so much better.

I'm so proud of all of you! WAY TO GO!

Remember: Love yourself enough...to love yourself where you're at.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Jill

Before I started this course, I was doing a lot of organizing by moving things from one pile to another, and felt like I was making progress. I asked my husband if the area looked better, and he looked at me like I was insane and said "really? really? there's still ******** everywhere!" BTW, I did have a discussion with him and told him it wasn't ********, he promised he would stop saying that...lol. I've now got things organized better, and some things on the side that I need to get a storage container or bins or whatever for them, but I really feel like I'm making progress!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

oops, guess I can't say [email protected]

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Amanda!

My man doesn't see the tidiness of the um... "stuff", only the stuff. And the lack of desk showing through it all.

Mind you, this is the man who tidied his own desk last weekend for the first time since we moved back into the house last May. I came home and he led me into the room and proudly showed me his handiwork. My response? "Where IS everything? Are you leaving me?"

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

ahhaaaha...that's funny! I organized the best I could over the weekend and was super excited, and I showed him. And I'm like "do you like it? isn't it pretty? are you excited?" He told me he was excited and I asked him why, and he said "I don't know...because your excited and now you can play in glitter?" He just doesn't get it...lol

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I think he "gets it" perfectly Amanda!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Then he says "when did you get so much stuff, it's like it keeps multiplying." He doesn't realize it actually IS multiplying. I told him that now that it's organized it just looks like more stuff. haha. But I say that I work hard for my money. And I work hard so he doesn't have to. He has quite a few health issues, and it's just easier for me to work and let him stay home and try to rest until we figure out whats going on. So I deserve whatever stuff I wanna get. And I don't think he wants to hear numbers. lol

weaselwise
New Kid On the Block
weaselwise
In response to Jill

Hi, I'm Weasel and from Southend in the UK... just found this class and it's just at the right time, as my friend is re-building and re-designing my crafting area in my lounge for me!

I had a small desk squished in between a bookshelf and a window, not very deep and not very wide but I could at least get a small cutting mat and a piece of 12x12 on it... but it got cluttered up with "stuff" so I had to move onto a folding table which also got cluttered up with "stuff"...

Now I have a worktop that is 'L' shaped and about twice the size of the old desk. However there is still a lot more my friend has to do so a lot of my stuff is boxed up or crammed into loose bookshelves and a couple of old display units.

These units and shelves are going to be moved out and custom shelving built into the space, I can then sort out everything into a logical order and put "like with like" ... this is where the space assessment handout will come in handy so I can see what I have got where and try and corral everything together.

Thanks for the support - I'm going to read each weeks thread after I get that weeks email so its not quite so daunting to catch up on so many postings - but am looking forward to the journey!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to weaselwise

Welcome Weasel! I'm Squirrel (Rosey actually) and I'm in the UK too, near Bristol.

How lovely to have a friend to build you a crafting area! My DH put shelves in for me, above my desk in the study - they are a lifesaver. When you get a chance, post some before and after photos in your Gallery so we (and you!) can see how it's all progressing?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I need shelves. I have so many good ideas, but they all have to wait until we move. Poo.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to Jill

Just dreaming here, but...

Does anyone remember from days long ago or old movies seeing those bed folding down out of the walls? I was thinking how cool that would be to have something like that only with a craft table or storage supplies.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 09-28-13 11:15 AM
In response to Lauri D

Yes, I remember Murphy Beds--such a good solution for sleeping. We just had fun and new storage furniture arrive in the warehouse. There is an over the door craft armoire by Jinger Adams that is like an ironing board cabinet. Another looks like a chalkboard frame on the wall that opens up to be a work space (chalkboard becomes the brace) and compartments in the space that attaches to the wall. Both are like the Murphy Bed concept but obviously more compact. You know how some homes have a desk area in a wide hall? If you are handy or know someone who is the over-the-door units could line a hallway opposite a desk.
Products Referenced in This Post:

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to Jill

I just started and already my head is overwhelmed. I have such a very small space in our bedroom because our son moved back home. I am just figuring out how I want to do this. I've gotten emails up to week 5 and am still trying to work on week 1. I just figured I'd print out the emails as they come and then go at my own pace. I haven't been able to really get to my layouts because our son has been in the hospital for over a week so hopefully when he gets home, I'll have some time. I take these emails with me to the hospital just so I can envision where I want to go with this organization.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to grandmamichelf

Yes, Michele it is a little harder to concentrate on this sort of thing when something so pressing in your real life demands attention. I'm later in the program but have just experienced that issue. Hang in there. As you know, this organization class will wait. Hope your son's issues improve soon.

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to KatieJo

• KatieJo Said:
Yes, Michele it is a little harder to concentrate on this sort of thing when something so pressing in your real life demands attention. I'm later in the program but have just experienced that issue. Hang in there. As you know, this organization class will wait. Hope your son's issues improve soon.

Thank you for your kind words. I've been staring at my scrapbook supplies and looking over the weeks I've gotten-up to 6 now. It seems to be a daunting task but this breaks it down so it's not so bad.
As for my son, he is home, but his illness is one that can possibly take him from me. So I fight that battle but always remember we have to take time for ourselves or we will break.

karenbeavers
New Kid On the Block
karenbeavers
In response to Jill

I am starting this series today, December 30, 2013.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to karenbeavers

Welcome!

hesed formerly fibromom
Tenant
hesed formerly fibromom
In response to mrsdriver5

• Quote:
I'm old, tired, and my foot got stuck to the floor when I stepped on a bottle of Permanent-Forever Nothing-Will-Remove glue, so I might be a bit slow in keeping up with you all~

Judy, I LOVE IT!
I'm REALLY liking this class. I don't scrapbook but I love making cards and spend a lot of time in my card room (to me, the word "studio" sounds like a place for real artists... I don't include myself in that class at all!)
Lesson 1 is going to be very helpful; I've got the Space Assessment Handout printed off and, once I can get back into my hideaway, I'll mark things off. I'm pretty sure I already know what doesn't work and what needs attention.

I have an illness involving a lot of pain/neurological problems that prevents me from keeping up on lots of "chore" stuff. My card room is my escape zone... I have to be very careful not to turn it into another "project that needs attention."

mstarbell
New Kid On the Block
mstarbell
In response to hesed formerly fibromom

I am just starting to get my "studio" together and this series will definitely help me! I am looking forward to learning how to better organize my creative space!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to mstarbell

Hi from OZ. I was already to start organising my space when I realised I mistakenly deleted my first week e-mail can anyone help and send it to me again Please. Thanks in advance.

Suzy800
New Kid On the Block
Suzy800
In response to marj123

Hello ladies! I just signed up for the Get Organized class and am anxious to get started. I actually just finished re-organizing my room this past weekend but I know I likely have some hot spots that could use some improvement. I noticed in the first week it mentions we can access the entire course at once if we wish and I'm just wondering where we go to access the other weeks lessons. Thanks!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Suzy800

Hi Everyone. I have taken the plunge. I am excited to do this course. I live on the Sunshine Coast in British Columbia, Canada. My crafting space is the billards room. All my supplies are on shelves around the perimeter of the room. I create on a table near the window. I have a huge amount of supplies that are some-what organized but are difficult to get to because of the pool table. This keeps me from using all I have. I am also very guilty of not finishing projects. I am sure I have a horrible case of CAD (crafting attention disorder) I have at least 20 in progress sitting in boxes. I feel overwhelmed and guilty for not completing. I am hoping that doing this course will liberate me and get me crafting happily again.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 01-09-14 08:58 AM
In response to Lilygirl2

Welcome to our newcomers for the new year who number in the thousands. It's true, there are some serious new goals out there and some shifting taking place in many, many lives. I'm always excited to read about where you are from and what you want to accomplish. Keep your dreams and hopes in the forefront when guilt, overwhelm or other little devils try to discourage you. Get into the new mindset that you can do this and you are worth it!! I'm so proud of you and believe in you.

scraprageous1
Tenant
scraprageous1
In response to Jill

I started this class in January. I completed the space assessment. It wasn't eye opening, but it did help me figure out some areas to focus on. I have a few things that work great for me (paper, inks, adhesives and punches) and notice those are all I use if I need something quickly.

I have posted a few photos - after week 2's assignment - I now am just on a sorting binge. My main goal is to get like items together so when organization weeks come up I can organize rather than search for what goes where. (no pics on blog, but I did write about a bit of my sorting).

Very thankful to a friend for sending me the link to the class

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

This class looks great and I am excited to start it!

My biggest challenges right now are:

(1) The room I am going to use for my scrapbook room is currently chockfull of boxes from when I moved last year! It will take me awhile to clean out all the clutter before I have an empty canvas to design a scrapbook room. I’m having trouble finding motivation to complete this monumental (and not fun) task.

(2) I have SO MUCH scrapbook stuff. And it’s not all in one area. It’s in the garage, the bedroom, the future scrapbook room, a storage unit… you get the idea. Nothing is organized and I have no idea what I will put it all in when I do organize it.

I’d appreciate any tips on clearing out a space, time management to work on that, and then how to organize everything when you have a TON of stuff. I plan to set aside what I no longer want for garage sales, etc., but will still have a ton of stuff I am keeping.

Kecia C
New Kid On the Block
Kecia C
In response to hesed formerly fibromom

I hv the same physical issues & can definitely relate. My craft room is a disaster so I really need this course. It's also my "therapy" so I need it organized so I can get bk in there & create!!

Livlaughnscrap
Idol
Livlaughnscrap
In response to Jill

Okay...I am doing this organize thing!! I'm from Roseburg, Oregon...mid state along I-5 corridor. I have done the 1st assessment and have alot of issues to resolve! My studio has somehow become the household catch-all for too many things! Clutter is everywhere and I can't get to my storage anymore! Hopefully this class will help! Gotta think 'fun' not hopeless! I thought I had this organize thing down when I moved into my room but...

CroppinMadeline
Diva
CroppinMadeline
In response to Jill

Greetings from The deep woods of northeast Texas! I just found this and signed up for the emails. I'm so excited about making my studio workable.
I have a couple of questions.

1) when I printed out the 7 page space assessment handout, I noticed it started with week 4. Am I missing something?

2) some ladies before said they would post pics ....where are the postings? Is there another thread that has more on this?

TIA!!

I have been a slacker for last 4 years while I moved 3 times. I think I'm in my final nesting place now and want to get back into what I enjoy.

New Kid On the Block
In response to CroppinMadeline

Loved the space assessment to put into words the trouble areas. I am looking forward to this class and thank you for giving it to us free!! I was wondering where the complete class is, it says that you can read ahead if you want? I have not been able to find the link

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 02-04-14 08:54 PM
In response to jennn1971

Email [email protected] for your request. OR...

Click here to get help from Megan Forum Tech.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to Jill

I am loving this class! And it was free! Wow! Anyway, in April 2013 we moved into a larger home and I have a pretty big space/room for my own, papercrafting, cardmaking and sewing studio. I want to do it all, but have only the one, albeit pretty large room. My issue is that 1. I have a LOT of stuff; and 2. Out of sight is out of mind for me. I forget I have stuff and have even purchased duplicates or triplets of the same thing! No kidding, I was mortified. So between cleansing and purging, I am hoping to get my things more manageable and then set up my new space in a way that will work for me. So far, so good. Many thanks!
PS I have to get the measurements of the room I have my studio in. And I have no problem at all calling it a "studio". So, kudos to you Jill!

Edited by ASiverson on 02-05-14 03:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ASiverson

Thank you again for responding. I have done my space assessment and I believe that I have a fear of changing things and hating it so I don't do any changes and keep it the same, what about that??

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to jennn1971

Just remember. There's no "rule" that says you can't change it back if you hate it....

mroberts3
Resident
mroberts3
In response to Jill

I'm immersed in this first week of Get Organized and loved filling out the Space Assessment - weird but I love checklists and forms! I've been scrapping at the dining table, with supplies a bit organized but not in easy-to-use spaces. Now I'm converting my home office into my craft room/library, and this class will be invaluable! I posted "before" pictures in my gallery and did a layout with them. Hopefully in a month or two, I'll be posting "after" pictures! Thanks for offering this!

mroberts3
Resident
mroberts3
In response to CroppinMadeline

I wondered the same thing about starting with Week 4, and I think it means that's the week in which we'll deal with that issue. So Week 4 is about paper.

Not sure how people post pictures here in the forum, but I posted my "before" pics in my gallery.

jorganne
Idol
jorganne
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Hello everyone!! I'm from Tennessee. Hickory Valley to be precise. That's about an hour away from Memphis. I started this class last year. I've filled out the sheets, and even started boxing everything up ( my option). We are now in our competitive gymnastics season and I can't finish. I'm also having trouble concentrating. If I see a cute paper or embellishment or picture I stop and start digging so I can do a LO! I'm out of control!! HELP! I have been boxing things up (like items) as I scrap. Should I just start over from the beginning?

Edited by jorganne on 02-17-14 09:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 02-17-14 10:26 AM
In response to jorganne

Gymnastics season is a big deal and is time consuming. It would seem better, in my opinion, to focus on the Get Organized projects when the season is over so you can put your attention when it needs to be right now (and enjoy doing so). Where we put our attention is generally where the things happen in our lives. You might try to do some layouts from time to time if scrapbooking relaxes you but calendar the GO class for later. IF the mess bugs you, keep boxing up as able but keep a small group of tools and supplies set aside so you can scrapbook as needed. I hope that helps.

Also, when we feel obligated we will eventually feel guilt. That's just human nature. Try looking at the class as an opportunity, not an obligation, and guilt (or frustration) won't be in the picture.

btuozzolo
New Kid On the Block
btuozzolo
In response to Jill

Hello from the north-east corner of Connecticut. Yes, some of us Yankees do scrap! Though, I haven't yet seen any of us in the GO forums... I just moved into a sizable apt and have the luxury of my own studio. I don't have to share space with anyone since I am single (still). Anyone know of a nice guy who might date a scrapbook crazy gal?? Lol.

Right now, my biggest challenge is right here in Week 1. Space assessment... I have a nice big room but no storage furniture or table or anything! All my goodies are in boxes and I'm going a bit batty for not scrapping in so many months. I have to start with the very basics of putting together a studio!

So, here's what I do know:
1) I need to see the things I have or I will forget I have them.
2) I'm a real girly-girl when it comes to visual appeal.
3) I absolutely must have a home for everything.

Most immediate challenges:
1) need a work surface
2) need some kind of shelving

Any ideas for a table? Any suggestions for shelving?

Barbara-Ann

scrapcrazy121104
Tenant
scrapcrazy121104
In response to btuozzolo

Hi everyone,
I'm Amy and I'm here in sunny South Carolina!! I starting getting the e-mails about 2-2 1/2 weeks ago and am so wanting to get going on my room but I have one small (or large) problem: Everything I couldn't fit in my car is in storage in Ohio! That includes my scrapbooking stuff and I'm going a little stir crazy not being able to scrapbook. I moved down here to Goose Creek, SC back in June 2013 and lived with my sister for 2 1/2 months before I could move into a home of my own. I have a third bedroom I plan to turn into my scrapbooking/sewing room once my stuff is here from Ohio.
At this point my goal is to keep that room clutter free and make sure that once I get my stuff, I can organize as I put my things away.

Amy

Edited by scrapcrazy121104 on 02-22-14 12:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to rgridings

Okay, time to start all over again! I'm grateful that these threads are still here because I need help. Again!

My first problem is that I got lazy as soon as I could find my favorite things. It's been about 4 months since I have earnestly scrapped but I've left the chaotic mess on my table since then. Now it's overwhelming me. Time to find that checklist! And my tabletop.

Ah Jenny
Tenant
Ah Jenny
In response to Kels

I recently signed up for the organizing series and I’m looking forward to getting my space in order. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all my stuff, especially since I've taken in a lot of things (pictures, keepsakes, etc) from my dad's house after he passed. My 'studio' has a bed in it , and my small room feels smaller because it's packed to the gills. I picked up a few plastic containers to start tossing things in together, like markers, stamps, glitter, etc so I can sort through them later. I think once I can group things together and temporarily take them out of my room, I will be able to use the extra space to maneuver the rest of my stuff. Then I can really start the organizing challenge and find a place for everything.

I might take 'before' pictures of my areas just for my own sake, and maybe post them if I can get through this and have good 'after' pictures. I work nights , so my room stays pretty dark. I think once the dust settles from my main cleaning/organizing efforts, I can focus on getting better lighting, since what I have now will do until I have the resources to make improvements. Sorry to ramble... I hope people still look at the forums here!

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Ah Jenny

Signed back up to start all over, so I am patiently waiting for the first email. Please hurry. LOL

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to rgridings

Still haven't gotten the first email. Can someone forward me the email?

Ah Jenny
Tenant
Ah Jenny
In response to rgridings

Hiya, can you please send me a message with your email address?

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Ah Jenny

Thanks for the offer Jenny, but I finally got it all fixed! lol

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to rgridings

[image][/image] Well, I took pictures of my new scrap area. They are in my gallery.

Edited by rgridings on 03-29-14 09:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to rgridings

Here is a direct link (hope it works)

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/scrapro om/417730...

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to rgridings

well, as I knew....not a lot is working for me right now. I seriously need to figure out if I want to keep my scrap area where it is now or move it, and if I move it, where do I move it to.....lol. So many decisions...lol.

JO_SHOEMAKER
New Kid On the Block
JO_SHOEMAKER
In response to rgridings

I'm just now trying to start working on this Organizational Workshop (challenge). In reading this thread, one of the earliest posts asked Jill if the Assessment Worksheet could be put into an Excel program. Do any of you know if that was ever able to be generated? If so, can you post the link?

I appreciate your help & wish you all the best of luck in organizing your creating spaces.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to JO_SHOEMAKER

In one of the comments on this thread, Jill said that the excel link is in the weekly emails.

If you need more help, just pm the technical support team. They are really helpful.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Hi!
I am Ewa from Sweden. I just signed up to this class, it will be awesome! I have taken some before-pictures, I will try to upload them soon.

I have a lot of "stuff" since I like to work with different kinds of projects: layouts, PL, mixed media, mini-albums... I make cards to special occasions. Some of it is rather well-organized and some of it is definitelly not!

I have found out that I like to work where my DH is, this means I have most of my stuff and a workspace behind/beside the bigscreen tv upstars (he watches sports a lot) and I also have a workspace (and more stuff) downstairs beside our stationary computer, which he uses more than I do. So I kind of follow him around! lol

As if that wouldn't be enough, I have a few "orphaned" things in a drawer in the living room and painting stuff in a guest room and things that might be useful - someday?? - in a storage area....

I would like to find out what I really use and get rid of things I do not need. And get a grip of all my started but not finished projects. I would not be surprised if I find more areas that needs to get a "make-over" as well

LelaScraps-n-Stamps
Idol
LelaScraps-n-Stamps
In response to Scrapprinsessan

Hi from NE Ohio

I was surprised to see that I had missed this when it was first posted but thrilled it's still an option to sign up and work through this process.

I do have a Scrap/Stamp Studio and I love it. One wall is all shelves. The lady who lived in the house before me was into Sewing and her hubby designed it for her, It is like a closet as it has sliding doors that you can close. My hubby re-vamped it for me with shelves for 12x12 (LOL) and more brackets to hold more weight. He also built me a scrap desk and cube shelf for paper.

So I have some great fundamental organization units but realize through the assessment process they could be set up better for function and flow.

My layout is finished and I realized through the process I need to do "Plan A" -- Box It. I have a number of boxes set up in the room next door and will begin moving all of the supplies into the boxes

My "hot mess" points
1. Photos - they're in photo boxes but everywhere and mixed. I just add photos as I find space

2. Albums in Process - again multiple spots so I have to hunt for the album when I finish a layout that goes into that book

3. Thickers/Letters & Rub Ons - I need some sort of storage idea for these packages, They are in different spots

4. Memorabilia - **BIGGEST Issue** - It's in all sorts of boxes and folders. I think this is keeping me back from doing older photos as I don't want to forget the fun stuff that goes with the photos but don't have easy access to it

5. Cards - Need better system for these

Let the Journey begin ... (first "before photos)

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to LelaScraps-n-Stamps

Box it???? You are WAY braver than me. Pics!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Hi I am Tasha from Montreal, Quebec, Canada! I am very new to the site and this is my first post

I have started the challenge last week and completed the assessment process and found that a few areas in my new studio don't work for me such as my paper storage, my scraps storage, my stamp storage, tools storage among other things.

As I just moved in my new condo this past December and have a dedicated office/scraproom but did not take the time to organize everything yet. Then I found this site and class, I have read all the comments in this forum and decided to go ahead with the challenge! Look forward to continuing and posting on the other boards for the following weeks.

Thanks!

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 07-18-14 12:06 PM
In response to Twins0126

Welcome Tasha. So happy you found the class and I hope the information motivates and helps you. Keep up the good work, you can do this.

My best to you!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Thanks Jill, everyone on this site is so nice!

cristybacchi89
New Kid On the Block
cristybacchi89
In response to Twins0126

Hi everyone!
My name is Cristina, from Italy, and though I subscribed to the site a long time ago, I was never too much active.
Normally I just browse through the shop and the galleries, also because being a seasonal worker means that during the working season I have ABSOLUTELY NO TIME for anything.

But now summer has ended, I'm unemployed again (thanks Worldwide Crisis…) so I decided that instead of feeling sorry for myself I could do something to make my life better.

Thus, I decided to finally begin with this challenge after having subscribed months ago…
Sorry for the introduction, I always write and speak too much…

Anyway, even though I'm 25 years old I still live with my parents and share the bedroom with my brother (I know, it sucks…) and here is where I sleep and try to scrapbook. I have a desk and some storage space above my head, but that's it.
So it's definitely urgent for me to reorganize and rethink my space.

I started today, printed out the Assessment Handout, but while I was filling it a question came out:
Right now I'm just assessing the problem and trying to see what I have, right? The spaces for "Solution/New Location", "New Container", etc… can be filled later when I have a better idea of what I have?

Thanks!!
xoxo
Cristy

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to cristybacchi89

Welcome (back)!

cristybacchi89
New Kid On the Block
cristybacchi89

And here, for your eyes only, the picture of my desk/tiny scrap corner "Before the Cure"…

For more tragedy see My Gallery

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch
In response to cristybacchi89

I did my assessment and know that I need to do option #2. Part of it will be done in our current location and the finishing organization will be in the new place in a bedroom. I will have the new containers, cubes, and a few throw rugs, material for some curtains for the finishing touches. I am getting ready to take a pic of stuff. I should have taken it yesterday before I started to reorganize some stuff. But it is hard to tell that I did a whole lot seeing as it is still crowded and whatnot..lol.
I don't have to do a complete revamp..just reorganizing and putting all the stuff in one-two areas instead of all over the place with part of my stuff. Makes me look in multiple locations to find the stuff. Making it take longer to make cards, layouts or projects.

euphemy
Idol
euphemy
In response to Jill

Computer room disaster
I've been getting the 17 weeks of organization in my email but kept putting it off. I've decided to finally do something about it. I have done the first 2 steps. I rent so I can't do any major decorative changes. I've decided I am a scrapbook hoarder. I posted 5 pictures of my work areas as I have drawers that hold some paper and embellishments and a cube that holds paper in my living room. My dining area is where I do my work and it is currently a mess. I have photos and albums in my hall closet and bedroom closet. My computer room has the majority of my supplies which is unfinished projects, stamps, ink, albums and filled pizza boxes!

http://cdn.scrapbook.com/gallery/source/28/289 267/IMG_3...

Edited by euphemy on 12-31-14 01:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to euphemy

I lost my wonderful space because I have to move my bunnies and their cages into the playroom! I'm back in the guestroom! now it's cramped.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

I started this class, well printed out all the lessons and put them in a binder which I promptly put away and haven't looked at since, several years ago (2013?). Anyway, now I don't have enough room in the craft room to do any scrapbooking or card making or sewing or even watch some educational DVD's. So, I've started again. I documented it all on my blog Dragon Droppings My blog .
There are 3 pictures there of my work space. This is one. My Scrap Space

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Well, I have my Layout of my scrap "place" (the table where I do all my paper-and-glue scrapping and card making.) But I don't know where to post it or the other pictures. (I took 38 which includes the closet.)

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

These are my before Organizing. http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15872...

TreniMemories
Veteran
TreniMemories
In response to samanthacoleman16

I moved just over a year ago from Pasco, WA to Pueblo, CO. I expect we'll be moving again in another year or so. (The Engineering/Construction industry keeps life adventurous!)

I need this challenge! On the one hand, each move offers the chance to re-organize into a new studio-whatever it may be. The movers were great about wrapping up a lot of stuff just as is or consolidating into boxes & totes. However, there are things that seem to have been lost.

After doing a layout and using the Space Assessment, I find my biggest hot mess is that when I unpack, I fit things into the space they fit into best. There is a lot of space within reach (desk drawers, etc.) that contain stuff I rarely use while frequently used items are across the room. Despite knowing where they are, the space could be used more efficiently.

Kimberly Rae Cole
Diva
Kimberly Rae Cole
In response to Kels

• Kels Said:
Immerse yourself in your space and analyze it. What do you love? What works? What doesn't?

Altered Whimsey's Studio... By Kimberly Rae

I love having everything at arm's length, but I hate that 'boxed in feeling', which once again I have managed to do. II also have a lot of clutter right now in my space which I need to get rid of (huge project when I get home from vacation) plus a cheesy cabinet/wardrobe that was NOT purchased at Ikea and is now consequently falling apart. What's in there will get boxed up and go to storage along with the other stuff that I plan to keep that will go to storage.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Hello from Gamaliel AR. I am so glad I found this class. We are in the process of building a new house and I have a nice large studio area. I also have several other loves - sewing, calligraphy, photography. I am very excited about planning my new space which is approximately 20' x 25' (irregular). Can't wait to get started. I have about 2 months to plan and organize everything for my new space.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to sdc.chamberlain

So glad the class was able to inspire you! Congratulations on your new home!

psychtra96
New Kid On the Block
psychtra96
In response to Jill

I just started the first class on organizing my art space. I love the assessment tool and cant wait to get started analyzing my space!

New Kid On the Block
In response to psychtra96

I am working on decluttering everything in my life and I came across this class in an email. I thought to myself maybe this will help me to declutter and better organize my "studio" space.

So I started this class and i found it very difficult to get through the exercise for multiple reasons. Mainly I was trying to figure out solutions to my mess instead of following the lesson for the week. Also, I need ideas on how to set up my space. I don't know what works. I pull out what i need and put it all away (sometimes) when i have completed a project.

I look forward to this weeks lesson. I will have to concentrate to keep on track.

Thanks for this class.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to LostNKrafts

Hello and welcome! I'm glad you found us and were trying to make this class work for you. Just know, that the lessons are not emailed out anymore but they are all listed here for you to go at your own pace. If you go to our video links under resources, you might be able to find some product videos that give tips on how to organize your space. Good luck and thanks for stopping by.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Name Dawn B from tomah,WI and living in a mobile home my sister and her boyfriend and 2 children also live with me. So no extra room for my scrapbooking supplies. So I keep everything in my bedroom. As well as my exercise bike and a small dresser. So not a lot of room except for in my cabinet.

I had gotten a free cabinet less then a year ago and it was a nasty orange. Now its a nasty with with gray and pinkish doors. Well at least its better then the orange.

Well anyway. Planning on uncluttering and organizing my cabinet and closet and bedroom today hopefully I can find a better way to organize everything.

I will be posting photos in the before and after section once I charge up my cell phone to take pictures.

I will be taking photos of the mess and then of where its going and after photos.

So wish me some luck.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to dawnreneesreaders

Good Luck!

semazo 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

I´m mexican, I live in central Mexico, scrapbook isn´t a cultural issue here, but I learned to do it in some craft exposition and I fell in love with it and all the tools, materials and techniques.
I want my own studio, because I do a lot of thing, specially notebooks to sell with scrapbook cover, I design my own mark "Que Bonito" (some like How pretty) because is the first thing people says when see my creations.
I started the Organizational curse, I did the Space Assessment and I realized that I only had things on control but not organized, thats the reason why I choose Challenge 2. By now all is a huge mess, but I'm working on it as a big project, separating tools and material by theme, I trhough out a lot of things (no sentimentalism) and remain all that really need. The project of a new STUDIO is walking.
I think that I don't have to discourage, because things look worst just before to get better.

Joanie R
Guru
Joanie R
In response to semazo

Thank you for sharing you story. I think it's wonderful you found us and were able to use the information to organize for your craft. Please post your creations in the gallery, we'd love to see your projects.

don1
don1 
Expert
don1
  • don1 on 08-30-16 06:11 PM
In response to Joanie R

I am an artist, I don't need to be neat and orderly.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jill

Ok so just moved some of my crafting and scrapbooking supplies to my living room along with my computer and 32 inch tv from the bedroom. So I'm going to be using the living room as a room to start doing my scrapbooking and crafting from. I don't have much to work with currently but I do have a shelf that is between my living room and kitchen that faces the living room. So there is going to be a space for organizing over there. And I also have a blue plastic cart kind of thing its actually a tool source thing. But am going to paint it and use for scrapbooking. Plus a lot of natural lighting.

So in the living room will be a great work area for me. Still working on the idea of the layout of the room.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

Okay Okay I immersed myself and this is what is available to me. I had gotten a cabinet about a year ago and its to darn big in my bedroom so I down sized. I went from 6 feet wide to about 3 and a 1/2 feet or 4 feet wide. The newer cabinet is also shorter and easier to work at. It used to be a soda fountain cabinet. So there is a hole for trash on top. But there is also 3 storage areas underneath it. But the locks for it don't have keys so I will need to switch the locks. But a nice cabinet. So now all I need to do is remove the older cabinet. Which will be done today or tomorrow. And then install pull out drawers under the cabinet. And then above the cabinet I will still need to hang my pegboard. So far so good the cabinet is over next to my bedroom window behind my bathroom door. So I'm going to be working in that area. Deciding on what to put on the pegboard and then what to put under the cabinet. Once I have that done it will make organizing and working at the cabinet a bit easier. I will update you guys with photos from the before and after area.

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics