Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Photos of Your Space: BEFORE        (Topic#1587285)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 04-22-13 02:35 PM

Please feel free to share a link or embed a photo of your space BEFORE you start the challenge :)

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Kels

I know...all of you at sb-central, just want some new people to laugh at on Hoarders, don't you? Or you're planning to start your own show called The Messers. Let me go find a maid service so I can show my Before picture :>) ~Judy

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 03:58 PM
In response to Kels

Any photos posted in here are from VERY BRAVE people who are working on Scrapbook.com's Get Organized Challenge. No judgement comments, just encouragement, please.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 04:06 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

LOL Judy! I'm not into reality TV shows because I have my own thing going at home...

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Jill

I've never actually seen any of the shows, mainly because I don't get them on our cable...and I don't want to chance seeing myself on TV. I don't need to judge anyone else's mess, er, beautifully organized scrap space, since mine is a complete disaster...but I'll take some pics before I do a little clean-up. I amaze myself at how much of a mess I can make to do a project or two!~Judy

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-01-13 04:50 PM

Sounds like you get totally into the "zone" when you do projects. I have a friend who starts creating at her cleaned off table and within a few hours is working off of her LAP because there's no more room on the table. She produces amazing pieces of art from that lap, and cleans up afterward--so much so that it looks like she was never there.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-01-13 04:52 PM
In response to Jill

Eeesh... I already knew my scrap "area" was bad... but it is bad on a WHOLE 'nother level when seen through the lense of a camera. Yikes. I might have to clean up a bit and then take another set of "before" pics. LOL!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

Vae—I took my before pics, before cleaning up a space to work. I basically do like Jill's friend, except I don't really make "amazing pieces of art", but I have fun playing :>) Then I clean up as well as I can for the space I'm currently using...and then mess it all up again, so I'll use Really Messy Pics and Cleaned-Up Messy Pics for my LO~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-01-13 06:08 PM

Here's one 'before'. I love this trolley (Ikea Raskog), it's stuffed full and mostly useful but needs refinement - i.e., the bag full of all sorts of different embellies on the second tier, I have to rifle through the entire thing just to remember what's there. The first tier has lots of stuff stacked on top of other stuff. And I just got a few more Distress Paints and Stains that need to be incorporated (with a goal to obtaining all of them)

Ikea Raskog trolley By Stick

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

That looks really handy for you, Kara. I know your problem on the top tier...those stickles, liquid pearls, etc. have a way of multiplying! They fit so perfectly...then they find friends and we keep pushing them in to fit, but eventually...there is NO more room. But if you're like me, that doesn't stop you from buying more :>) ~Judy

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-01-13 08:33 PM

Alright... I've done some cleaning and here is my scrapspace at it's very best. This is after Option #2, Plan B (Clean Up). I took before before pictures but I think I'll be keeping those to myself LOL

Scrapspace 1 By Vae

Scrapspace 2 By Vae

Since I'm currently in a 1 BR apartment, it's far less than ideal. Descriptions are on each pic. Not sure how much we are supposed to post here?

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-02-13 09:20 PM
In response to stick

I think its great your cart can fit in the closet and is easily accessible. I really like that the sides on the shelves help keep items from falling. Thanks for sharing.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-02-13 09:24 PM
In response to Vae

Those are some nice organizational pieces in your photos Vae, and an admirable use of the space you have. Thank you for sharing.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to Jill

I've just loaded my Before pics into my gallery ... there are more than a few so I put them into ONE project

I should've combined them like Vae did! Great idea!!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to tanyaham

my scrap area By Rockmom
Ribbon Storage By Rockmom

one of the folders By Rockmom

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-03-13 12:08 PM
In response to rockmom

Well, after seeing Tanya and Denise's pics, I'm starting to get worried about my grade in this class. I hope we're not going to be graded on a curve! LOL Fabulous rooms ladies!

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to Vae

OMG! So the pictures I see here as the before pics are way cleaner than my area even when it is "clean". LOL!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dlanvinson

Maybe this will make you feel better Dian!

Before:
Rosey's scrap corner - before By RedSquirrel

I must explain that my scrap area is shared with the study, music, DH's computers, sewing, cameras and the treatment area. Other than the desk and the wall shelves, I only have the bottom shelf of the bookcase for my scrapping stuff.

The desk here is unusually covered with post-birthday, pre-crop mess. More usually it looks like this:

Rosey's scrap corner - after initial tidy-up By RedSquirrel

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I did minimal (15 minutes or less) clean up this morning in case of visitors, then started getting things out for a layout this afternoon.

scraproom 1 view before By Sewflake

scraproom 2 view before By Sewflake

scraproom 3 view before By Sewflake

scraproom 4 view before By Sewflake

The room is about 10x12 plus the closet with the file cabinet as the only non crafting exclusive item in the room.

Yes the room is yellow just not as yellow as the photo taken directed towards the window.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-03-13 03:24 PM
In response to tanyaham

Love the paint color you have in your studio rocksmom. And your wire shelves are a versatile plus.

Redsquirrel and Rosie have some cool organizing already going on; looked are your studios for several minutes each...:)

Thank you all for taking the time to share.

SherylEb
Diva
SherylEb

ROFL

Edited by Jill on 05-06-13 11:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Victoriaj
Resident
Victoriaj
In response to Kels

Here is my studio.

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to Kels

Here is my "studio":
Wall #1

Wall #2

Wall #3

Wall #4

My Work Space:

Like I stated before I have my work cut out for me. I would love to add some windows but when your home is made of 14 inch concrete block and brick and older than dirt itself (1800's) it is more of a hassle to add a construction project to your list than adding more lighting....because with every construction project we start it creates 5 more.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-04-13 01:49 PM
In response to dabnat

Do we have a drool smiley? I think we need a drooling smiley. There are so many fabulous studios here

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Vae

Yeh vae, I am drooling over all the nice stashes, mine is pathetic compared!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-04-13 04:42 PM
In response to rockmom

Seriously, I'm thinking dabnat's is half as big as my entire apartment!!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Seriously, I'm thinking dabnat's is half as big as my entire apartment!!

Ditto!

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to rockmom

Big is not always better ..... see I have get to share....

I am envious of the natural lighting that victoriaj and red squirrel have.

The wall colors that are so cheerful for rockmom and tanyaham.

And Sewflake seems to have a little bit of everything I wish my room was.

Vae you have everything right at your finger tips and it seems you have put a lot of thought into where things belong to help you scrap.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-04-13 05:46 PM
In response to dabnat

Great points - grass is always greener, right?

Thought I would post my 'before' pic for the NSD Hot Mess challenge. I scrap in the living room, so everything gets pulled out and then put back at the end of the day. It's mostly workable but there are a handful of irritating points. I'm really looking forward to getting into the details of the upcoming classes - scraps, embellies, stamps, etc.

NSD Hot Mess Challenge: Before By Stick

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to stick

Ok ladies NO ONE and I mean No One has the mess I do. So lets just say that I can't wait for next week an start organizing.

Tenant
In response to Sneezy1956

I got some pictures up. Remember, I am still unpacking and sorting.

Hoping to get rid of the ugly paneling and the red shag carpet. I have teal accents.

dabnet, you posted you wanted some color, but I do love the cedar in your room. If it were mine and I could do anything I wanted I would go to Hobby Lobby and finds some wall art with your fav colors and put it on some of your wall space. Or a wall quilt. Or some blank canvas' and paint them your fav. And I too want more window light so I moved everything in front of it and took down the curtains and put up a blind.

Edited by claytonrk on 05-05-13 12:39 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tenant
In response to claytonrk

How do you post a pic in this forum?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-05-13 12:58 PM
In response to claytonrk

Have you uploaded it to your gallery? If so, make sure it has public embedding enabled (you can click Edit and then check the box that says allow public embedding). Then click Save/OK.

Go to the pic in your gallery and open it. On the right side is a bar that has favorites, votes, etc. Scroll down till you see Share. Click "Link and embed image". Change the box to IMG code. Then copy the code and paste it into this thread.

Tenant
In response to Vae

Thanks,

My Mom's quilt table now my workspace By Claytonrk

My Mom's antique dresser By Claytonrk

Thanks again V

Tenant
In response to Jill

Ok, more

Stamp Storage I am still working on By Claytonrk

Expedit, a work in progress By Claytonrk

Corner part of the U shape I want to do By Claytonrk

Sorry that two need rotated!

Edited by claytonrk on 05-05-13 02:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Jill

I have a limited amount of space and I am needing to get some better organizing going on.
I will post pictures tomorrow.

Guru

• Sneezy1956 Said:
Ok ladies NO ONE and I mean No One has the mess I do. So lets just say that I can't wait for next week an start organizing.

It makes me feel better seeing your comment! Iam seeing all of these "messy" spaces and am thinking the same thing you just said. My craft room has become a catch all room and I cannot even walk in it right now. It has all of my scrapbook and sewing stuff, 98% of the kids toys that they lost the priveledge of playing with and probably have now outgrown, and a lot of my late FIL's stuff from his house.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to ihacodb

I had cleaned my scrappy area before I realized we were supposed to take pics. I really had to get it cleaned up for NSBD since I hosted a weekend crop for 8 of us! I will take pics of it anyway and post them here-- I love seeing everyone's studios and can't wait to get into this course and see if there is a better way for me to organize my things.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to Jill

Here is my studio minus my table, which has not been moved back in from the great room where we all scrapped over the weekend ( I hosted a crop for NSBD)
Behind my table By Terrihooper
To the right of my table By Terrihooper

Edited by terrihooper on 05-06-13 11:25 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-06-13 12:12 PM

I love seeing the variety of spaces and opportunities here. Anyone else have a tendency to fill up whatever sized space they have? I do.

My daughter-in-law and I went to two estate sales last week. One home was very minimal with its contents, and the other had wall to wall treasures. Both reflected the lives of the people who had lived in them--which was an interesting principle to see during this week of the Challenge. Funny, the home that had mega content was actually the most organized.

I'll see you in the Week #2 forum tomorrow, but will check back in here sometimes.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Jill

Ok ladies I finally got a picture up in my gallery.... Tried to post it in the thread but it didn't work...

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to dorichatelain

dorichatelain, your embedding is disabled so it won't allow anyone to link your photos. You will need to change and allow the embedding.

I'm not the best one to tell how to do that, at least so anyone understands.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Sewflake

How to share a pic in this thread

Open the photo in your gallery. Look down the right side of the page to "SHARE" right below that is a line that says "LINK AND EMBED IMAGE" Click on that. A new window opens. Click on "IMG" button and then click the circle by "LARGER." Now click on the URL CODE to highlight it. now right click on that highlighted code and when the new window opens click on copy. Now come to this thread and paste into the new reply text box.

Hope that helps.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to rockmom

Ladies,

I found out this morning that we are moving into a 3 bedroom house. We will have a room for a office/craft room. Can't wait to move. I will be packing and getting ready to move for the next few weeks. Thank god we live in a very small place and can pack up pretty quickly.

Dedra Long
Expert
Dedra Long
In response to dorichatelain

Here is a peek at my very unorganized space!

Yikes!

Edited by Dedra Long on 05-07-13 02:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Dedra Long

Ok all you asked for it it's bad,

I just can't seem to get it organized and I need to make curtains. I know for sure I need a bigger desk mine is to narrow to work on big projects.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

hey, that is not so bad! The way you were talking I thought it would be baaaaad!

I like you have rolls of paper towels in your studio, I need to do that too. ths

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to rockmom

Ummmm you can't see the one corner that is stacked up on the floor where you can't get to stuff It's bad.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Okay if you say so! At least you have stuff to use!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to rockmom

rockmom here is the real mess finally broke down and will show the floor.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

This is my whole room. I think it is about 8' x 9' and yes, it is jammed full. My DH offered to exchange rooms (his is considerably larger) but I decided I'd just buy more to fill that up too and would rather try to keep my smaller space organized well.

My Office/Computer Desk By KatieJo

My wall Decor above my Computer Desk By KatieJo

Scrapbooking Desk By KatieJo

Wall to the side of my scrapbooking desk By KatieJo

Left of Closet and Bookshelf and Wall Pockets By KatieJo

Right Side of Closet By KatieJo

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

Wow! I am enjoying seeing other's spaces - especially the parts that are already organized in some way. And yes, I'm seeing them in everybody's spaces so far.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to KatieJo

Wow Sneezy1956, you have so much potential with your room. I am already seeing a stunning room well organized!! Everyone will see it in your after pictures.

Dedra, I can see you work hard in your room!

Katie Jo, love the blues with the green walls.

Can't wait to see to see everyone's AFTER pictures. We are going to have some stylin studios!!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Sewflake

LOL Jane, okay, that would drive me nuts! You win! Wish I could come help you then we could sit and scrap. But then if your space looks like that and you can create such awesome items who cares?

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Neat to see everyone else's spaces.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to rockmom

LOL! told you it was bad and Katie thank you I don't think it's got any potential but then I'm in the middle of the mess I actually worked on the pile today and found places for some of it. I also did a layout and a card this afternoon so I've been busy. Tomorrow I have to go back to work and I dread that.

So wish I could retire. Then I wouldn't have these messes

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Ummm, Jane...I'm retired and I still have messes. They don't go away. Instead you're home more so you create bigger messes! ~Judy

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Shooot Judy don't blow my mind like that LOL! Well any way the floor is now clean I threw out a bunch of stuff and picked up the other. I need more storage on the walls but they are plaster and nothing holds.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

Yes, the dreaded plaster walls! I can certainly feel your pain there.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to KatieJo

ugh, plaster. but good for you!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Jill

Yay for sleepless nights! Otherwise, I wouldn't have stumbled upon this section of the forums.

Anyway, here are my "Before" photos. I encourage any ideas as I go along. Craft Cabinet By MommaSaid

Earlier today... err, technically yesterday afternoon, I found a couple drawer sets that will work for me (I hope) to place along the back of a few cabinet sections.... after I gut the shelves. My first area of concern seems to be embellishments. They are squirreled all over the cabinet and free from their original packaging. Factor in the decision that Basic Grey was my new BFF, and....
Products Referenced in This Post:

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to MommaSaid

I am trying something new. Not sure if it is going to be for embellishments or photos I need to scrap.

I bought a over the door shoe organizer since my door to our room is right by my desk. Actually I think I could hang two of them on the one door. We shall see how this works out later this week.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

Ok, just took pics of my room as is.

This is my scrap table.

Where alot of supplies are stored. Need help, don't know how to utilize the drawers.

This is were my albums, stamps and dies are stored.

This is one of my Hot Spots, just can't keep stuff of being piled here.
This is my other Hot Spot - the floor. It collects everything. Hard to walk to the scraptable at times.

Phyllis

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to bogey_scrapper

I'm going to be silly and ask a question THEN go see if I can find the answer myself (that would be the silly part.... as opposed to just finding the answer first... shiny thing!)

Question: How many of us are going to take updated photos of our spaces as we make progress? It might be kind of fun to document the little steps. Or I'm over energetic for no apparent reason.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to MommaSaid

I did take a picture of the mess in the center of my room picked up it's still on my camera

I have decided after looking at all of these pictures that we are all craft hoarders

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-11-13 04:12 PM

My 'before' pics. I posted my trolley last week, but here's where almost all of the rest of my scrap stuff lives. The stamps are a problem (in another closet). The 12x12 cases where I store my scraps, small paper pads, and works-in-progress are in another short cabinet to the left. And I have a stack of 12x12 pads that need to be incorporated somehow

Scraproom By Stick

And from the "Hot Mess" NSD challenge, this is what it all looks like when I'm working
NSD Hot Mess Challenge: Before By Stick

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-11-13 04:13 PM
In response to stick

Oh - and my Gazelle die-cut machine is in another cabinet just to the left, but it's a pain to have to take out and set up when I want to use it. Would love to make it more accessible.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-11-13 04:22 PM
In response to stick

Oops - reading back through the thread to catch up on all of your spaces I realize I already posted my Hot Mess, lol. It's been a long intense week at work, I barely remember last weekend.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to MommaSaid

• MommaSaid Said:
I'm going to be silly and ask a question THEN go see if I can find the answer myself (that would be the silly part.... as opposed to just finding the answer first... shiny thing!)

Question: How many of us are going to take updated photos of our spaces as we make progress? It might be kind of fun to document the little steps. Or I'm over energetic for no apparent reason.

Me! Once I get organising, it's hard to stop.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to stick

I haven't dreamed my dream yet, because we have no plans to move from our precious home and there is no land to extend onto. So I'm stuck with my little corner. Expedit shelving as a room divider that also holds my albums may be a possibility though.

Until I've thought this through, I have tidied it up so that the items I use most are closest to hand. My "prime real estate" had a lot of things in it that didn't need to be within arm's reach, so they have now been moved. We brought up an old computer keyboard and monitor stand from the cellar, and my Silhouette is now sitting on top of it, and my unfinished/in-planning LOs are now on the keyboard holder underneath. That means that I have to keep the area in front of it clear.

Here it is now:
Week 2 organisation class By RedSquirrel

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings
In response to Kels

My scrap area

Hope this works!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to rgridings

your area looks good....is that a scraprak I see in your one picture? do you like it do you think it was worth the money. I'm been looking at them.

rgridings
Tenant
rgridings

• Sneezy1956 Said:
your area looks good....is that a scraprak I see in your one picture? do you like it do you think it was worth the money. I'm been looking at them.

Thank you! It is a DIY Scraprack. My DH made it for me because I can't see spending so much money on something that may or may not work for me. We made it for under $30. Right now, I have all of my binders (which I used old binders and cut off the flaps and heavy duty velcro) on it but I think is it too full. I have way to much stuff. I think it would work better if it wasn't so full. I also have the binders placed very close to together, so I may try to space them out a bit.

Tenant
In response to MommaSaid

bogey, I am take pictures once a week for my PL album.

Tenant
In response to rockmom

Sneezy, plaster has to be nailed to something, the standard is a 2x4 every 12 inches, sub-standard is 16 inches. You can tell by tapping the wall if there is a 2x4 OR you can buy a little thing at the hardware that buzzes when there is wood.

It does look like you will need to use your wall space.

When I get something new I dump the bags in the floor and pull out the stuff and scrap honey we all have done it, maybe not Jill!!!

Edited by claytonrk on 05-19-13 05:48 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jill
Jill 
Idol
Jill
  • Jill on 05-18-13 05:34 PM
In response to claytonrk

• claytonrk Said:

When I get something new I dump the bags in the floor and pull out the stuff and scrap honey we all have done it, maybe not Jill!!!

Oh heck yeah! I do that all the time. Today I went to my favorite little shop in Payson, AZ (Paper and Metal Scrappers) to pick up a kit I'd ordered. I brought it home and dumped everything out on the couch to admire. I love it...just enjoying the splendor of it all...

Tenant
In response to Jill

LOLOL

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to claytonrk

• claytonrk Said:
Sneezy, plaster has to be nailed to something, the standard is a 2x4 every 12 inches, sub-standard is 16 inches. You can tell by tapping the wall if there is a 2x4 OR you can buy a little thing at the hardware that buzzes when there is wood.

It does look like you will need to use your wall space.

Mine is on lath so it won't hold anything....my house looks like it's brick but it's actually brick crete they are concrete blocks that have brick on the out side. So I have a concrete block wall with lath and wire. Nothing sticks to it...to get something to hang on any of my outside walls they have to be very light even curtains are a problem or I have to build a fake wall and lose floor space

Tenant
In response to Kels

I just did a major "sort, purge, store" to my craft room last week, before I found this class. My craft room comes off my mater bedroom, which is upstairs. They are the only 2 rooms up there, so I get some good uninterrupted time to work when I do, since the DH is usually in his basement man cave and the DD is usually absorbed in reading a book.

Here is what it looks like post-purge and pre-class:

My closet - before By Nikkiwhey
My closet - I have 2 of those wire shelves with the grey tubs, which work OK for most things. We put up a bunch of the wire shelves along the back wall to hold all of my quilting fabric, my stamp collection, Korean language books, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I also have a 12x12 paper stand that I found at a scrapbook store which was changing it's displays out.

Room desk side - before By Nikkiwhey
View 1 of my room - my desk with shelving unit from Ikea. The bottom half of the cubes have the fabric totes in them and the top half are more decorative in the storage options. On top is my cat's bed, which keeps her from sleeping on my desk...usually on top of whatever I am trying to work on at the time. I faked a U shaped work area with a small antique tea cart which holds my Cricut and a small computer desk for my computer and printer. The old vanity in the corner holds my sewing/cross stitch supples.

Vanity side - before By Nikkiwhey
View 2 of my room - I have an old buffet, which I use as a vanity for all my makeup, jewelry and other girly items which don't fit in our very small "master" bathroom. My wood mounted stamps are in an old type set tray I found at a flea market, which works for most of the sizes. I will eventually resign myself to knocking some of the dividers out to make the rest fit, but not yet. The recliner was originally there so I could relax and read, but the dog jumps up there, whether I am sitting in it or not, so it is now her lounge.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to nikkiwhey

Ok here is my disaster area, I talk about all my many "hot spots" and problems in my desrciptions of each photo,there are 4 or 5 photos in this project, any advice is helpful and appreciated, thanks!
My workspace By Scrap Chica

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Scrap Chica

Hey Laura!

Personally, I think you actually have a LOT of Stuff! And admittedly, your space is small. Unfortunately, it also sounds like there are a lot of things that you don't use or don't like.. like Studio G ink pads (don't blame you there).

You also seem to have a lot of potential storage pieces already... but don't seem to like how you are making use of them. As you go through your products and start rearranging you might benefit (financially especially) by using things you already have in a different way. Meaning, take a storage piece you are using for one type of product and use it for something else so that it fits the way you use it better. Don't throw out a storage piece until you are sure you are not going to use it. If you don't have to buy storage, that means more money you can put into the actual hobby.

Also, something that seems clear to me is that you seem to me to be a visual scrapper. Meaning, you prefer to be able to see all the things you have so that you actually use them. The pegboard, shelves, and wall space will help you in creating a space that will work better for you. Labels on things you do have to pack away are the next best thing.

And as for the Iris photo keepers, I too purchased one of these. I use it mostly for the photos I'm currently scrapping. Unfortunately, mine is almost completely full. (I have a lot of projects in the works at the moment.) I organize the photo packets by event or by person or place etc. I do it that way because that is how I look for them. Photos I'm not currently working on (but have printed) I store in paper photo boxes. I use index card dividers with tabs to keep them separated into their groups so I can still find them easily when I want to. This works great for me. Those photos are placed under other things on the top shelf of my closet because I don't need to access them often.

The Sizzix... is it red with a lever handle or with a crank style handle? Either way as far as I'm aware they still make dies for both but the lever style dies aren't all that cheap (except second hand) and they take up quite a bit of space. Further, you do need plates (and such) to send the dies through with. It might cost you a lot more than $3 to get it going and it certainly takes up precious space. (Just something to consider.)

As for the binder idea for your stickers, I use that system myself. It does work pretty well for me... especially when organized inside the binder into categories (as I use them). Small pieces (if you have any) go very well into baseball card organizing sheets BTW.

OK... much more wordy than I intended. Guess I'm a little bored too... don't feel like tackling more of my own organizing at the moment. (I'm trying to purge old magazines and am putting my cardstock into magazine files - plastic that I swore I wouldn't buy but think I will like anyway.)

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

• Scrap Chica Said:
Ok here is my disaster area, I talk about all my many "hot spots" and problems in my desrciptions of each photo,there are 4 or 5 photos in this project, any advice is helpful and appreciated, thanks!
My workspace By Scrap Chica

Laura we both have the same problem to much stuff and not a big enough space. Good luck

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica

KatieJo,
I so appreciate the long winded response You gave me some things to think about and some great organizing tips, the way you do your photos sounds like a fantasic idea for me to do as well.

And yes, I do need to do some purging. i do agree that I have alot of "stuff", lol, however I don't think I have alot of actual supplies, I say this because I have looked at the phots of everyone that has posted and I see cabinets or shelves filled to the rims, caddys with every color paints, stickles, glitter, spray mists, etc. and I know I have 2 spray mists, 1 paint dabber and maybe 10 stickles, lol, so I just didn't feel like I have all that much inventory, 1 12x12 paper pack I just bought, lol. I will admit I have alot of brads and buttons

Anyway, I am going to do the sticker binder also, I think this will be better for me, I just need to go buy some dividers for in the binder.

As far as wall space, I am triny to see how to get more, lol, if you look at the photos, you will see that the walls in here are paneling, so no paint job for me as far as trying for nice tones and making it look better, but also the wall 2 my left where I have the dry erase board is only about 30" wide with a gas line running up it at the 13" mark, of course the wall I face is pegboard and shelf so no more space there, and then the right wall is covered by the shelving unit, however, I am going to try tomorrow to see if I have space to move my computer desk down a little towards the side of the room that is our storage space, hence moving down the file cabinet, white cubby unit and shelving, so maybe I can get some more wall space.

You are correct that I seem to be a visual scrapper and also a sorter not a digger. I agree that I should try to use the storage pieces that I have first before buying anything else, just need to figure out how to use them to benefit me better.

Ok lastly, the Sizzix, it is the lever handle style and it has 1 white plate with it but you can see that it has been used to death. I know that the smart thing is just to get rid of it because I already have a cricut that I can't afford to buy carts for now ( i only own 10 and have had it since 2010), so...

Again, thanks so much for your advice, alot to think about and now waiting on week 2 email...

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 06-03-13 08:37 AM

One thing that stands out to me from looking at 'before' photos is that many of us have a lot of wasted space - particularly those of us with smaller studios. By this I mean that we're not utilizing every CUBIC inch. For instance - Scrap Chica, you've managed to get a ton of stuff into a very small area. But looking at your bookshelf and your white cubes, there's a lot of open space. If you had stacking boxes or drawers that would allow you to utilize ALL the vertical space you could squeeze a bunch more stuff in there. It's one thing I have to constantly remind myself about when I'm searching for space to store yet another item.

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to Kels

I just posted 5 pictures in my gallery. My scrapcloset is one-half of my bedroom's walk-in closet. I was going to add a couple pictures here but got totally lost in the directions.

My real hot spot is the floor. I don't even know what all is on it! Plus, my cat (she's in one of the pictures) loves being in my closet so I definitely need to take care of the floor situation.

I just realized that I didn't take a picture of two other spaces in the closet. On the right of the cube unit there is a shelf that runs perpendicularly, about 4 inches higher, with a rod just below it. Also, to the left of the cube unit is a space about 20-22 inches wide that goes up to the rod just below the high shelf (where my sketches and magazines are).

I hope this will make sense once you see the pictures.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to 11ROSES

Hi again!

Laura, glad you took my yapping in a good way.

So here I go again.... with just a couple more ideas that you may have already considered and may or may not work.

Could you use those hooks/photo mounters that 3M makes? I use them a lot. You supposedly can place them on about any surface and then later remove them cleanly from that same surface. It would allow you to hang things on the wall that you don't want to put a nail into. Of course, it may not be the best with the paneling you lhave and you can't hang anything super heavy but it still can help a little.

Also, could you paint your pegboard for a pop of color? If you can't take it back down to paint it, could you tape it off and paint it that way?

Just a couple of thoughts.

And 11Roses, you have a beautiful kitty.
I can see how your area, as it currently is, would be a cat paradise. Even when I straighten up my area and think it is cat proof, one of my two will find something... like paperclips and pens etc. to play with. Good luck in this class finding ideas that help you with that and make sure I know about them too.

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to KatieJo

Hi Again!

Stick, thanks for your insight, I agree about the open space, I do know that I need to be utilizing my shelf, shelving unit asnd white cubes better, that's for sure. The best way to do that is where I am blocked, lol. However, I don't currently have any drawers or clear stacking boxes which is what I would like, however, very tight budget so trying to get the best use of what I have right now. So knowing that, I have to figure out how I can use a 14x16 lined weaved basket, some 13x10 clear baskets, some shoeboxes and the large clear tub(holds larger unorganized scraps, right now)that I already have. For the white cubbies, I do have 2 more shelves that go in that, that I currently don't have in it, so that would add more space too or maybe no space but more divided sections. i also have space to add either another piece of board to my "desk" torun to the other side wall, so it would go all the way across the width, if that makes sense, or sometime of cabinet/cubbie, something to sit in that space and move all the shelves down the side wall. I would like to do this because besides getting more working space, I could take my Cricut that is now on the shelving unit to that "table" where I wouldn't have to scoot it way out in order for my mat to have the space it needs to run all the way through without hitting the wall.

KatieJo, Of course, I always appreciate detailed responses
I have thought about those 3M hooks, watching the commercial, lol, but also wondered about them holding up on the paneling, but only one way to find out I suppose...:)
As far as the painting the corkboard, that is an awesome idea, however you are right I would have to tape it off because my hubby has it so it can't be removed without alot of trouble, I think I could handle that though, just take everything down and off my table and tape it up, some of it is behind the "table" "desk" though because he put it up first then mounted the piece of wood, still I think I could work around it, but I was thinking that caans of spray paint would be easier, faster and cheaper than actual painting it, what do you think, would that type of painting be ok on pegboard?

11Roses, I looked at your photos and I see you have the same small space problem I do. your right the floor is your biggest hotspot especially with cats. However, also like me I see space you are not utilizing, I think you could get better organization and therefore more space out of your cube unit and like Stick said to me, you could probably get that by accessing the vertical space with some stacking boxes or drawers, then get some of that stuff off the floor and organized there in the unit. Just some thoughts. And can I ask why you don't utilize the organizer on wheels? That could hold some of the floor stuff too, I would love to have one of those, lol.
Hope I was able to offer somethings for you to think about.
I finally got my week 2 email, so heading there

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

I had a thought while I was at work about the pegboard painting. Since it won't be taken down, will painting it be a problem in that because of the holes there might be some paint seepage onto the paneling? If it is going to stay put indefinitely anyway it wouldn't matter of course. And I'm not a paint expert but I would think that spray painting would require that you be extremely careful about how you tape it off. It might actually be easier to apply it from a can in the long run in this case. I don't have pegboard and of course have never painted it so I can't say how it is best done though.

Oh and the Sizzix... I thought about that too. I actually have one too. I didn't mean to be discouraging about it, but wanted you to be aware of some of the cons of which I am aware. It also has some good points to it too of course. It is very sturdy and will cut nicely through chipboard. It will also flatten bottle caps or so I've heard. And sometimes you can pick up a die for cheap for it. The ones you can use with just the white plate (without purchasing any further accessories) are called the "Originals" and do sell some of them here even. If in the future, you decided to "upgrade" to a Big Kick or Big Shot, these same dies will work in those too. This is just in case you decide you'd like to try and make space for it after all....

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to KatieJo

Well, those are very good points, but as with you am not an expert on paint either, lol, so I am not sure and to be honest never even thought about the seepage or the fact that if using a can it would make small circles of color on the wall behind it and since it is not my house, not sure how that will go over even considering I will probably never be able to move hence the pegboard wouldn't be comingdown, but it is worth a discussion with DH for sure.

Thanks also for the tips on the Sizzix, I will have to look through the store and see if I think it is worth it, but again I know it may not be for me because I so want to expand my library of 10 carts for my cricut, so..

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES

I don't use the mobile unit for 2 main reasons: one, "out of sight, out of mind" so I'd rather have supplies where I can see them and two, I've never really figured out what to put in there. It's a very nice piece so I should look at it again.

I agree about going vertical. I have some thoughts about what can go on top of the cubes and what can go to the left; however, I too have budget restraints so that may go slowly.

Edited by 11ROSES on 06-04-13 02:33 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to 11ROSES

For those in rentals with budget restraints, that was me for the first 5 years of my scrapping. I saved packing boxes, taped them up so that they were strong, and set them with their backs against the wall to create a poor-girl's Expedit unit. Those lasted through 3 years in Singapore, then when we moved to Australia the contents just stayed inside so packing was easy, and they only needed a bit of extra taping for the 2 years in Oz.

I had heavy things in the bottom boxes, like albums, paper, magazines. The next layer had the light things in, like clear plastic takeaway tubs containing ribbon, my stamps and various ongoing projects. I used the tops for temporary storage, for example when I needed space to lay out scraps for sorting, or to photograph a LO or card.

DH also made me a board that went against the wall behind my table. It was just a piece of MDF about 4' high by the length of my table, and he attached a notice board to it - one of those where half is a dry white board and the other is cork. So not only did I have a notice board, but also a screen to protect our rented, cream-painted wall.

If you can't attach shelving to your wall, you could have a similar board but taller, and attach a shelf to that. Then you could hang some things from it, and put other (light-weight) things on top of it. That would also be a perfect height to clip a lamp to, so that you weren't blinded or shadowed, and it wasn't taking up valuable desk-space.

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Excellent ideas! I already reuse small boxes (like Bath & Body works, or chocolates) but never thought about stacking bigger cardboard boxes. That might actually work for what I plan in the space to the left of my cubes. Thanks for the inspiration.

cristi_ann
New Kid On the Block
cristi_ann
In response to 11ROSES

I just did a blog post within the last few days that shows my space in it's entirety. My blog should be in my signature. I haven't really learned my way around this site yet, so not quite sure how to embed pictures.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to cristi_ann

I too had very little budget when I started. I started with a cardboard box (a lid and bottom wrapped in gift wrap) and slowly added things... like a Sterlite plastic drawer set and scrapbooking crop bag etc. I didn't really have a set place to scrap either so I used the dining room table and had to go around the corner to get to my stuff.

My budget is better but not huge now. Gradually, I find what I like and try to add it for a good price. Of course, I do love searching thrift stores and garage sales etc. - but even better still - even now is finding something for free that works well. Can't beat that!

Yes, clipping a light to an overhead shelf would be a great idea for getting it out of the way and not casting the wrong shadows.

As for the big stacked boxes, I just realized that they used to do this at work to store shoes in their boxes. Theoretically, they should have been able to afford real shelves but this probably worked just as well or better. They held a lot of weight really.

Edited by KatieJo on 06-06-13 01:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

11ROSES
Resident
11ROSES
In response to KatieJo

I wonder about using the Sterilite drawers for paper, although lots of scrappers apparently do. I'm just concerned about the safety of the paper, the whole acid/lignin free thing. I have some small ones that I use for rubber stamps and I feel ok about that use. Just some concerns about the paper. Thoughts from anyone?

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 06-08-13 12:32 AM
In response to 11ROSES

For painting the pegboard, I recommend using a roller to apply the paint. It applies a nice even coat and shouldn't fill the holes in the pegboard with paint. If it's not a very large pegboard, you can get small foam rollers pretty inexpensive. Instead of a real paint pan, line a baking dish with saran wrap so the edges come up the sides and pour the paint in that. Any paint that gets on the dish should come off easily with warm water as long as it's water based paint.

Some of the items on the pegboard look like they might go better in a binder, such as the stencils. You could put them in page protectors and flip through them easily. Also, I see some space just between the pegboard and the shelf above. Perhaps you could attach some 3M hooks to the shelf to hang some smaller items?

Good luck!!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to Vae

11 Roses,

I know that there are some plastics that can technically do damage to scrapbook papers, but I haven't seen it in any storage containers. I have heard of people use shipping and pizza boxes to hold paper. I would worry even more about these methods but haven't heard many people bring up that as an issue either.

Although, I did use the Sterlite drawers for quite a while to hold scraps, I too now use them exclusively for rubber stamp storage. And now use a plastic file box with files that didn't expressly say they were appropriate for scrapbook paper storage either. Hope I don't/didn't damage anything....

Scrap Chica
Idol
Scrap Chica
In response to KatieJo

Vae, thanks for the painting advice on the pegboard, I appreciate it, but I have also been entertaining the idea of covering it with designed duct tape instead, as DH is telling me he thinks it's going to be a hassle to paint with me being unable to take it down to do so. So some things for me to think about. I am however, planning to invest in some of those 3M hooks, I also agree that a lot of the stuff that I have on the pegboard could be stored elsewhere, not just the stencils, but my masks and CM cutting systems as well, my problem is knowing what would be good to have on the pegboard, lol.

KatieJo, I too have not heard of anyone having problems with storing paper in the Sterilite drawers, although myself have never used them, I did however use a plastic file box before I got my cropper hopper and I never had a problem with it damaging my paper

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Kels

I am going to show you all a picture of what I had for a craft space before we moved Link

Edited by dorichatelain on 06-09-13 12:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

butterflyz813
Tenant
butterflyz813
In response to Kels

My space is a work in progress. I am not totally unhappy with my space, but it is not quite the "studio" that I want it to be! One thing that I am very happy with is my sticker organization. I can easily find my stickers at anytime because I have them all hung up, and have them in alphabetical order by category! I am unhappy with my paper organization. Right now I have them in a storage tote next to my table, and it takes forever to search through the tote to find what I want. I would like to get some vertical organizers to sort it better! I also need to clean up from a recent card making project! :)

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics