Username Post: Get it Together ALL DAY Challenge (NSD 2013)        (Topic#1587727)
Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-03-13 10:40 PM

WINNERS:
peasy
nado
MusicalPages
Julie101
Meeka Ivey
SusanScrapsALot
scrappinlilly
senora_x
miller.melissa.09
Lishy

**********PLEASE PM ME (kels) with your FULL NAME AND PHYSICAL MAILING ADDRESS. Thank you & Congrats!**********

Good morning and welcome to {Inter}National Scrapbook Day 2013 at Scrapbook.com!!! Are you ready for an amazing day?

This ALL-DAY challenge is called �Get it Together!�

Start by watching this video: http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/1975.html
of how I sort, organize, and store my family photos. Then, dive right in! Find a system that works for you (it doesn�t have to be like mine!) and share that system with us.

Ready? Here are your rules and reward...

Rules:
1. You must sort, organize, and categorize or label 100 printed photos that you�ve NOT ALREADY ORGANIZED � you�re on the honors system here�

****DIGITAL PHOTO ORGANIZATION IS OK, TOO!!****

2. You must JOIN this challenge and explain your process in a short 2-3 sentence paragraph on this challenge discussion thread by 11:59PM PST on May 4th to be eligible to win a $178 prize bundle. OPTIONAL: You may include a photo of your organizing system as well, particularly if it is hard to explain.

3. Link, link, link!! If you use a product from the Superstore (i.e. an album, a scrapbook, a storage box, page protectors, dividers, a pen/pencil, or anything else) please link it in your post.

View Challenge Here: Get it Together ALL DAY Challenge (NSD 2013)

lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid
In response to Kels

I have my photos sorted by events in photo boxes right now. I really need to find a better system, this one doesn't really work well for me, as I can never find what I want at the time. I have a lot of digital ones sorted by date on my external hard drive. After I sort them, I put a larger piece of cardstock with the event and date before the pics to divide the events. I just sorted out my sons wedding pics from two years ago. I sorted them by the event and then sorted them by what was going on, such as before wedding, during ceremony, family, reception and then dance.

Edited by lilmrmaid on 05-04-13 07:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to lilmrmaid

I organized a week's worth of digital photos (well over the required 100!) and scanned layouts. I moved the pictures into albums in our family's online photo gallery and added a caption to each picture. I added the scanned layouts to my sb.com gallery and linked to the products. It feels GREAT to have that off the to-do list!

Peasy
Peasy 
Diva
Peasy
  • Peasy on 05-04-13 08:39 AM
In response to cindy312

I have my physical photos in boxes labeled with index cards. I have boxes for each daughter, decorated in a theme that suits them. I also have vacations, holiday, family & friend boxes. I had a ton of printed photos in envelopes that I needed to sort & add to the appropriate boxes. I just got that done, there were well over a 100. Thank you for the inspiration!

AJs Mama
Expert
AJs Mama
In response to cindy312

I had well over 100 pics on facebook that came from my phone that i never saved to the computer. so i saved then and oranized them into the correct folder on the computer. AJs pics is the main folder than there is folders within that labeled month and year that i sorted them into

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

I just finished organizing my photos from baseball season 2011! The photos are from a college developmental summer league team that we have season tickets for. I first separated the photos by players, by onfield activities, and then I put them chronolocially by date. After that I grouped the photos I wanted to scrap together and placed them in an accordian type file for pictures. so when I am ready to scrap I can pull out the first set, then the second and so on

paperpilekitten
Resident
paperpilekitten
In response to Kels

This is my routine that I do every Tuesday (except I had to do an extra round today, just for this awesome challenge. lol!):

ETA: I just saw that the process should be described in 2-3 sentences and not like I did below.

Well here's a couple of sentences:

"Transfer photos from camera to computer and back up. Send to print and sort by theme in an album."

1. Transfer the photos from camera to computer.

2. Sort the photos by event/theme (Project Life, wedding, Easter, etc.) into folders. Add the date to the folders.

3. Go through each folder with Adobe Bridge and delete the ones I don't want to keep. Process the ones I want to print (contrast, light, color, etc.)

4. Upload the folders to Picasa for back up, and also copy them to our big local back up hard drive here at home (I like to have back up both at home and online to make sure that my photos will be there no matter what disaster may hit. lol!)

5. Upload the ones I want to print to my online print service (usually Fujifilm, as they are the only ones in Sweden that will print Instagram pics)

6. When I get the prints, I put them in photo pockets in a plain photo album, to be scrapped. Those albums are sorted by theme (Christmas, wedding, heritage, nieces, etc.). When I want to scrap, I can choose photos from those albums.

Done!

Edited by paperpilekitten on 05-04-13 01:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to paperpilekitten

• paperpilekitten Said:
This is my routine that I do every Tuesday (except I had to do an extra round today, just for this awesome challenge. lol!):

Freaking awesome, but made me twitch!

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-04-13 09:34 AM
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
  • paperpilekitten Said:

Freaking awesome, but made me twitch!

GAH!! Me too!!
How do you keep up!!??!! KUDOS!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

I organized my photos digital with my adobe photoshop album starter by event and date. I then sorted my physical photos in a photo boxes and labeled with index cards. Now I am able to quick scan which photo I want digitally and grab it easily from my labeled photo boxes.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to jjanasz46

I organize my photos as I take them off my camera's memory card. I still had photos from Easter, two nephew birthday parties, a weekend trip, and lots of random dog, weather, trees/spring flowers and food pictures ... 121 to organize!!

I move them from the camera memory card to a folder on my computer "2013," under "Pictures." I then quickly go through each photo and copy any photo I think I want to print to a folder called "Copies To Print." When I get ready to start sketching my layouts, I pull from those photos.

After I copy the ones I want to print, I go back to the 2013 folder where all the picture files are, then make folders like "Reed Bday 4 6 13" so I know WHAT the event was, and the date. I move all those pictures into that folder. I keep making folders, or adding photos to established folders, like "dogs" that I will add to all year.

In short, I keep all my photos by year, then event, with a copy that I can work with to print later, in a separate folder. My system has worked for me for 15 years, and I love it!!

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to tanyaham

I decided to make my daughters scrap albums this year to give to them for Christmas. Way back when they were born in the 80s i stuck them in the old photo albums with the glue sheets and clear plastic cover. I did write the dates and events on each page of photos. I have 3 of these albums I am going through and placing the photos in a box. I labeled each index tab, I cut these dividers on my Cricut to a 5x7. I have the tabs labeled for each girl and events. ie.
Brooke - New Born
Tammy - Newborn
B - 1-6 months
T - 1-6 months
B - 7- 12 months
T - 7- 12 months
Brooke's 1st Birthday
Tammy's First Birthday
Brooke's 1st Christmas
Tammy's First Christmas
B - Toddler
T - Toddler
B - Elem School
T - Elem School
B - Middle School
T - Middle School
B - HS
T - HS
B - College
T - College
Easter
Christmas
Swimming
Vacations
Girl Scouts
GS Projects
GS Trip Carowinds
GS Trip - Space Center
GS 6 Flags Camp
etc
I used the left tabs for Brooke and wrote in blue, I used the right tabs for Tammy and wrote in pink
The middle tabs are for their together photos as in holidays etc written in green.

At least now I finally have all those photos out of those books, some have already turned yellowish, so I got to save most of them.

I also have a box of mixed photos that I am working on entering them into the files. I guess I have about 300 photos now organized and safe keeping. It went pretty fast since the majority of the photos were in order from birth through the toddler years.

nessa9116
Veteran
nessa9116
In response to Sassy Suzi

I have my digital photos organized by date on my computer. For printing my photos for today, and some other projects this is how I organize them

1. Selected the Photos that I want to print in Windows Live Photo Gallery using CTRL Click
2. Copied all of the selected photos and pasted them into a folder on my desktop
3. Opened the photos in photoshop elements and also opened templates for printing
4. Edited the photos if needed and then resized and cropped them into the templates
5. Saved them in a folder specific to the projects I am working on, and uploaded online to print.

Edited by nessa9116 on 05-04-13 10:45 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Rileysmom06
Mayor
Rileysmom06
In response to nessa9116

I organize my photos by holidays or events and then by date. I store them in a plastic bin that fits under my bed. I made dividers that i wrote details about each holiday or event and placed them in front of each grouping of pictures. This has really got me in an organizing sort of mood! I think that i will also write out my thoughts on each group of photos so that i have some type of reference when i go to journal about it!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

I purchased mini albums earlier this week from Wal-Mart (about $3 -$9 each) which stores 100 photos. Today, I took 100 photos from my photo stash (photo boxes located in misc area of the house) in each and added a label with my label maker and labeled it with the event. I was on such a roll that I ended up doing about 6 mini albums.

I also organize my digital photos on a portable external hard drive by year and then I organize by the event. I have three additional folders labeled with my children's names and every year I add a folder and add any special events from that year (birthdays, school pictures, etc.). I try to set myself a time limit with the digital photos to upload with in a week of event.
Products Referenced in This Post:

dabnat
dabnat 
Expert
dabnat
In response to Rileysmom06

I organize my photos within my computer "picture tree". My tree has many branches: First the year, second the child, then event folders. In each event folder I first start off with a word document and type all my notes and memories and locations of any memorabilia I have saved from the event. Then I take all my photos edit them, then place them in the correct folder.

For this challenge I completed one of the boy's track meet memory cards from my to do box. There were 176 photos. Thank you for getting me motivated to do this.

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to Meeka Ivey

Since I usually print too many pictures for an album, I took a new approach for a trip we made two years ago.

I copied all the digital pictures into a new map "to be printed". From my travel journal I decided what I want to scrap and for each subject I made a new map with the name of the subject.

In this map I have put all the pictures which were related to the subject and started deleting the ones I do not want to use.

After I finished I looked through the maps to see if there were too many pictures or not enough to make a good page. Along the way I came up with some new subjects.

Edited by elsje2 on 05-04-13 11:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

momn3 
New Kid On the Block
  • momn3 on 05-04-13 11:21 AM
In response to Kels

I had got a box from mikes awhile back so what a better time then now to ues it I went throw my pics and started with the months so I have 12 boxes I do project life so this is very helpful to me this way

KristaO
Queen
KristaO
In response to momn3

This challenge came at a good time. i haven't organized my photos in awhile. 90% of my pictures are stored on my computer. They are organized in files in categories (family, pets, holidays etc.) and by dates within those categories. Older photos that belonged to my mother are all in photo albums and some are just loose in boxes.

Jln328 
New Kid On the Block
In response to KristaO

I really needed to organize my pictures from Australia. I have many photo boxes and just used one to put them in order of events. I made little dividers and labeled them by theme: food, foote, flowers, animals, museums, etc.

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to Jln328

I have tons of photos on my phone that I needed to organize. I make LOTS of folders on "My Pictures" folders. When I open up the folder, I have one folder for each year. Then in each of those folders, they are sorted by month or event, but mostly event-which has the dates (ie: Chicago Trip, April 2012). This makes it really easy for me to find pictures. Unless of course I can't remember which year I did something. Hahaha. I've been using this method for years and it seems to work.

For printed photos, I sort into boxes, each set of similar pictures are sorted into sandwich zip-lock bags so I can just grab and go. It works for me.

livelongvintage
Tenant
livelongvintage
In response to snoflake517

I've been adding to my SD card for the last year but haven't taken the time to organize the photos. So finally I've moved the photos from the SD card to my computer. I've created folders for each month, then a folder within each folder for each event.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

I had hundreds of photos on my cell phone that never had been downloaded from the last three years! I downloaded and sorted them either into a specific event/holiday photo, a seasonal folder for those that represented a season but not a specific holiday, and then into a person level file. I'm always looking for random photos and by separating them out of an event and into a folder per person I think it's going to help me a lot.

SusanScrapsALot
Tenant
SusanScrapsALot
In response to Kels

I organized my photos from a trip to Yellowstone and Devil's Tower in Wyoming and Pikes Peak in Colorado. I separated them out and boxed away about 400 photos that I will not be scrapping but wanted to save. Altogether, about 200 photos to scrap and/or put into my Project Life!!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Jln328

I just organized over 250 digital photos from 2013 using my recently purchased "memory manager" software. I first sorted the photos into categories by placing them into named folders on my laptop (vacation, hiking, birthdays, etc). I then imported them into my software, tagging them and using facial recognition to further tag each photo.

alexia_teh
Resident
alexia_teh
In response to Kels

I usually organize my digital photos in the following hierarchies:

-Source of pictures (for example which camera by model number such as Nikon D200 or Sony S90), I have couple of cameras that I use to take pictures of, followed by:
-Category of Picture (such as 'Jon' for my son and 'Eva' for my daughter or 'layout' or 'card') then:
-Year
-Month
-Event/Date (such as Birthday, Scrapbook Challenge Name/Date, etc)

If needed, use a note/text file on the side to remind yourself some important thing to remember about the folder (such as "pictures transferred from X or Y computer, backup No. 2)

NonnasLove
Idol
NonnasLove
In response to thasbrouck

Like many others I download the photos from my SD card onto the computer. I then sort them according to event and date. I also have subfolders to sort according to families for these special events.

I then print the photos and store them in the Cropper Hopper Photo Cases. I have tried many systems and this by far is my favorite. I am able to label the individual photo cases and can easily find any event or person that I am looking for. I am amazed at how very little space I need for this system.

Thank you for the gentle nudge, as I now have my Mom's 90th birthday celebration all set and ready to go.

Cropper Hopper Photo Case

eodwife
New Kid On the Block
eodwife
In response to Jln328

This is a great challenge that I NEEDED to participate in. I finally plugged my phone up to my computer and transferred all the photos to my computer. I then made folders by event, like pics from the hospital when I had my daughter and then a folder for an event at my husband's work, etc. I also made a folder just for videos. Finally I deleted them all off my phone and now I have lots of free space again!!

Tenant
In response to Jln328

I usually print my pictures out at the end of each quarter. I go through my files and choose the photos I think I might want to scrapbook. Once I get them back from the printer I put them all in 3 up photo albums chronologically. I follow the library of memories system. Then, when I want to scrapbook I just open up one of my photo albums and browse the pictures I already have printed and see which ones jump out at me. This way, even if I don't scrapbook my photos, they are all in books and easy for my kids to pull out and look at...and I have less guilt about not having them scrapbooked.

This challenge came at a good time since I have 4th quarter of last year and 1st quarter of this year printed but not put in my albums yet - so that is what I did.

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scrappyali

Just a reminder - you're all remembering to go to the challenge, and hit join, right?

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/?type=challen ge&ch...

borntoscrap
Diva
borntoscrap
In response to eodwife

I keep all my pics in chronologically both physical & digital. But I had a large stack(over 100) of misc. pics.(mostly from other people) so I grouped them by event & put each pile on a sheet of chipboard & wrote a bit about them on a sticky note.(journaling & title ideas) Then stacked them up in an Iris case. Now the next step will be to match each set with papers & embellishments. It's basically like Creative Memories power LO's

miller.melissa.09
Expert
miller.melissa.09
In response to Jln328

I organize my physical photos by stamping the date on the back using StazOn ink and a general "date" stamp from an office supply store. Once the ink is dry, I sort the photos by date and place into small iris photo cases that are marked with the month and year on them. All of these small cases get stored in the bottom drawer of my craft dresser!

palominogirl
Tenant
palominogirl
In response to Jln328

I sort my printed photos in photo boxes with tabs by month. Some of the months have post its with the actual day because I do so much Project Life.
My computer is set up about the same I download my photos put them by year then the day they are taken.

scrapmomof4
Pro
scrapmomof4

I have all my photos on the computer in files organized by month. I print my favorite photos and immediately put them in albums. I take the photos out of my albums that I want to scrap and I re-order them around two times a month.

Pre-digital are all in albums and the negatives are sortded by month in plastic storage boxes.

I am guessing since I am alrady organized I can't play along. Good luck ladies it feels great to have one aspect of my life organized, you will love it!!

txerica
Governor
txerica
In response to Jln328

I organize my digital pics into broad folders based on event and date, and then individual day/dated sub-folders for multi-day events (like vacations, or holiday gatherings with family). Today I organized my Easter photos from a week with my family. Dating the daily sub-folders helps me with my journaling so I can keep track of what we did, when, who was there, etc.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Jln328

I have my photos sorted by year in photo boxes-each year is sorted into events-anything major gets its own section in the boxes. Today I sorted my photos more recently printed photos(closer to 200)from summer 2012 up to the most recent.

KittyKatz
New Kid On the Block
KittyKatz
In response to Kels

My and DH's Alaska vacation photos are now sorted and in page protectors organized by activity or the places we visited; this is for only the photos and memorabilia that I think I will actually use on each layout. The remaining photos and the negatives are now in Cropper Hopper photo envelopes; when I finish this album I will place any leftover photos in divided page protectors at the back of the album. The negatives will then go into negative sheets in a separate 3-ring notebook.

Expert
In response to txerica

When I get my prints I just keep them in the cheap paper envelope by month (or major event like a big trip or Christmas) until after I have scrapped that entire month. After I finish the month's envelope of photos I put the unscrapped ones into a photo box, again, by month.

Today I put away a couple of months worth of photos into the photo box and also wrote down the dates of a month's events on scrap paper to keep in the envelopes of the months I still need to do. I also had to make notes of what LOs I did for today's challenges since I went way out of order to do some of them! I didn't want to forget that I already did my son's V-day party to avoid doing a duplicate (and having to reorder photos because "I can't believe I didn't have more than one copy of that one..." been there, done that before!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to MrsAnnieS

I normally organize my digital photos on my computer in folders/photoshop elements. I tag them as well and I love that system.....

However, I have hundreds of old photos that I've pulled out of the old, sticky type albums (ones from my childhood/teen years and before I started scrapbooking).
I chose to take 100 of these photos and organize them in a basket, labelled and ready to scrapbook.

I love Kels system and I think I would like to buy an album and page protectors to use for all these old photos!

Photo organization By Kiyawinn

arlsmom
Tenant
arlsmom

Your video was very helpful! I sat down and created folders by topic for this year. I then moved images from their current by date folders into the topic folders; eliminating the images that I knew I did not need to keep (still don't know why this is so hard to do). I then transferred the ones I wanted to print to a separate folder so I can look for another good online printing coupon and get them developed. thank you for the kick in the pants to get this done!

New Kid On the Block
In response to arlsmom

I finally organized my digital photos from my trip to Orlando last November. I created folders for each location (i.e. which park or our resort) for each of the 5 days, then named the photos in chronological order. I also had to search for some photos on my friends' Facebook pages, and I renamed those and put them in the appropriate folders.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit

I've been organizing my son's pictures from 6 months on....and he's almost 2 years old now! Anyway, I went for simple. I bought photo albums and arranged the pics in chronological order. In some of the sleeves I put in notecards with journaling, dates, how many months old he was at the time, special things that I wanted to remember later when I get around to scrapping them, etc.

I did physical sorting/organizing this time, but when I organize my digital files, I put them in folders/subfolders titled "year->month->occas ion".

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

I use the Iris photo cases from Hobby Lobby: Today I got my 2013 photos in a case. I only print what I will scrapbook and sort by years. I have been pulling out my 1998 photos that were never scrapbooked for challenges today! Having fun!

Edited by Megan - ForumTech on 05-04-13 04:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

tinadn
tinadn 
Queen
tinadn
In response to Jln328

I am not going to be able to complete this challenge in time, but do hope to get some organinzing done next week.

jengd
jengd 
New Kid On the Block
jengd
  • jengd on 05-04-13 03:47 PM
In response to Jln328

Normally I store my printed pictures chronologically in a Cropper Hopper Photo box (http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-chcna-bl.html). However, I took over 1200 photos in Jan. at Disney and printed over 600 of them. I'm keeping these in their shipping envelopes but I just sorted them out into these categories: meet & greets, sets/scenes/plants/etc., day/park, hotel, travel. That's the way I'm scrapping them so it makes sense to sort them now. I'd started this a bit before but as I've started scrapping the trip, quite a few pix had gotten moved around as I decided how I'd scrap it all. I cleaned it all up and actually labelled the envelopes (duh. Much easier than thumbing through like I have been.) [image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/620703/view /3928795/-1/0/1.html[/image] [image]http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/620703/view /3928799/-1/0/1.html[/image]

Edited by jengd on 05-04-13 04:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

all4ty
all4ty 
Diva
all4ty
In response to Jln328

I stay on top of printing pictures, but it's getting them organized digitally that I struggle with....or just don't do. So I took a BUNCH, well over the required 100, organized them by date and event, and moved them to CDs and off my camera's memory card.

Tracy F
Governor
Tracy F
In response to all4ty

I just spent the whole afternoon, in between scrapping of course, reorganizing my photos. I have a plastic container that holds 12 smaller photo holders. I think they each hold about 100 photos. I went through and organized them by date and event and even labeled the containers. Now I can throw out my well used cardboard box I've been using! YAY!

Tenant
In response to Jln328

This was actually a really convenient challange for me. I have been meaning to sort my digital pictures for ages. I had done several back ups in the past and I had the same pictures twice,three or even four times. Some pictures were lost since my laptop was stolen a month ago.
So I took this day to re-arrange all my pictures, and even also made a copy of pictures that other members of the familly had.
I work with number.. so I´m a bit convencional, so I arrange them by date of the event. For me usually is easier to find them that way. Nothing too fancy
Thanks for giving me the little push I needed in order to start this task that seems boring but its soo useful!

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to jengd

I have a "scrapbooking folder" on my computer where I store photos by project. When I'm going to work on that project I can pull out the entire folder or break it down into subfolders. Doing digital, I also keep all my supplies organized by type. Once I've scrapped the photos, I store them in a "scrapped" folder so I know I've used them.

-Stephanie

chaton_13
Guru
chaton_13
In response to Jln328

Are we supposed to describe our process here, or can we do it in the photo description?

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-04-13 04:50 PM
In response to chaton_13

Please describe it here You may also copy it to the photo description!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Kels

got mine done!
I have a system for sorting out printed pics that works best for me: I got a 5*7 dollar store quality album, and a pack of sticky notes. I sort the images by date/occasion or just put them together if they will be on the same layout. then I file them into the album pockets (5*7 size means I can easily fit a pack of 4-6-8-10 regular size photos in one pocket) and mark on the sticky notes how many pics and what orientation. It makes it super easy to find the right pics for the sketch challenges: need two horizontal pics? just find the pocket with the sticky note.

get it together - part1 By OlesyaK.
get it together - part2 By OlesyaK.

Capucine
Idol
Capucine
In response to Jln328

Great timing as I had to empty my camera cards.

I transfer all the photo to my computer into folders labeled by subject (family, trips, renovation) then by year, by month and finally I add a sub-folder if the pics were from a special event. For example, today I transferred 243 pics from a birthday party we attended a week ago. Therefore, they went into my folders FAMILY -> 2013 -> APRIL -> Rose's Birthday

chaton_13
Guru
chaton_13
In response to Capucine

OK....I just emptied an SD card I've had for almost a year! I have a Mac, so luckily my organizing isn't too hard, but 487 photos is waaaaaaay more than I ever want to do again in one sitting!!!! I still have some left, but not much. Question is, how does one take a photo of it?

I organize the folders by:
Random Aaron pics
Random Aaron Sarah Pics
Random Elijah pics
Puppies
Pregnancy photos
Scrappy projects
Asa pics
Etc....

vanilaa
Expert
vanilaa
In response to chaton_13

digital organisation:
I organise per year/date. I have one folder for each decade (and one "before I was born" for old pics I scanned), and inside those I have one folder for each year. If one event has lots of pictures, it gets its own folder.
It looks like this:
2010-2019 --> 2013 --> 20130131_event-people01 or
2010-2019 --> 2013 --> wedding x&y --> 20130415_people01
So far I can find everything. Have tried to organise with Photoshop Elements as soon as I bought it 2 years ago but was totally overwhelmed. I may give it another try this year

Printed photos organisation:
Once I receive my photos, I reorganise them per event or people inside the sleeves they came in. When I have time (like today!), I put the photos in a photo box (dividers: us, close family, friends, events, vacation, every day life). The photos I'm not sure I want to scrap get into a small album which I browse when I need inspiration.

Today I didn't manage to organise the 575 photos I had printed, but I organised 2 events into a photo box (59 and 37 pictures) and renamed 67 photos from 2010 which still had "IMG_xxx" as name... still 284 to go! Now it's 3.30 a.m. and I'm going to bed.
Thanks for organising this great iNSD again! I had lots of fun!

senora_x
Angel
senora_x

I just started a system this year that is working well so far. At the end of each month I download all my pics and print. I save my pics digitally to an external hard drive and they are in folders by month and year. I use the 12x12 3 ring binders by American Crafts for my layouts and have one (or two or three) per year. In addition to storing my finished layouts in these albums I also use the 4x6 divided page protectors to put all my pics in for storage. I don't scrap an any order I just flip through for inspiration and when layout is done it goes back in the album with the remaining pics!

I was doing good but slacked in March. Thanks to today's challenge I am all caught up for the year and have all pics to date for this year in an album!

ann.mann
New Kid On the Block
ann.mann
In response to Jln328

I used the Cropper Hopper Double sided Photo storage case in blue. It hold HUNDREDS of photos. I had bought it but hadn't gotten around to using it. Thanks for the challenge! I was also able to store the disc for the photos in the box by removing a few dividers. LOVE IT! Ann
http://store.scrapbook.com/ch-chcna-bl.html

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

I printed the pictures I knew I wanted in an album. Then I sort them into how they will be grouped in the album. The open box is the most recent trip to Disney, so there is a section for the new Cars land, the parade, the snacks we ate, etc. Each trip needing to be scrapped is in a separate box.

Hjordis
Resident
Hjordis
In response to joannepeterson4

I store digital pictures by date on my computer. I put printed photos in photo albums in chronological order and write the date and details on the back of each photo.

Amarilys
Diva
Amarilys
In response to Jln328

I just finished organizing my Jan-May 2013 pictures digitally. I organize by date so everything is in chronological order. Here's the format that I use:
'year_month_day Brief Description of the event

I've been doing this format for years now and it works wonderfully for me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to add, I only print the picture(s) I need, at the right size, when I need it so I don't have any pictures printed that need to be organized. That's why the digital format works so well for me

Edited by Amarilys on 05-04-13 06:11 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rhereford214
Tenant
rhereford214
In response to Jln328

I use the Creative Memories Memory Manager program. I sort my digital photos by general categories in the Sort Boxes. I do my detailed sorting by creating additional Sort Boxes with Folders in each of the general category Sort Boxes. For example: Sort Box - "Family". Sort Box in Family Sort Box - "GBs". Folders in the GBs Sort Box in the Family Sort Box - "each grandchild's name". I can be as detailed as I choose, creating folders for specific events for each person, holiday, etc. Today I sorted 178 photos from my last three book club meetings, my granddaughter's first haircut, and a weekend at the park with my grandbabies.

scalvert2542
Pro
scalvert2542
In response to Jln328

I have been very behind on organizing and printing photos. So today I uploaded all the photos I need to print to a file on my computer. In that file I sorted them into sub folders and prioritized the folders by which ones I need to print first.

jenny2003
Idol
jenny2003
In response to Jln328

New photos are stored on my computer using Photoshop elements. They are uploaded into folders by date. I then use the keyword tags to mark photos by subject, ie. Vancouver trip 2013, then I break it down by activity, ie Capilano Park, fun with Norman, etc. I also tag individual people by name so I can easily find pictures of people if necessary. Older photos are stored in 3 up binders in chronological order until I'm ready to scrap them.

Crafty Nautolan
Pro
Crafty Nautolan
In response to Jln328

I'm working on getting my grandma's pictures organized. I mostly organized by who was in the picture. I separated them by each of my mother's siblings. I am putting them in basic photo boxes. Now that I have them organized, I am going to scan each one so that I have a digital copy to use in scrapbooking and I will be giving the originals to each of my mother's brother and sisters.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jln328

Today I printed 113 photos spanning 4 months. These were the good photos I want to use for my next crop. I sorted chronologically and added information about each event. Events included the Polar Express, Christmas, birth of our son, Easter and our son's baptism to name a few;)

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Jln328

I keep my printed photos in photo boxes, by year. Inside the boxes, the pics are sorted into dated envelopes...by roll for those that are printed from film and by month for those printed from digital.

I had 158 pics printed at WM this week to have on hand for today, so I sorted those and put them away.

Tenant
In response to Jln328

I organize my digital photos into 3 folders per year on a drive on my personal computer. They are labeled for this year ~ jan-apr 2013, May-Aug 2013, Sept-Dec 2013. They I will sort them into months in each of these folders. I organize my printed photos in photo boxes the same way, but take out my project life photos from the ones I'm going to do regular 12x12 layout pages of. I just got a photo order from snapfish for 300+ photos and I sorted them for my project life albums week and put the rest in order to do regular pages as mentioned above. This works really well for me this year.

Edited by scrapbooker1030 on 05-04-13 07:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

scrapcountess
Tenant
scrapcountess
In response to Jln328

I did this for the first time at last year's NSD challenge and I swore I was going to keep it up. Needless to say, I had a little work to do to get everything in order again.

1. I have 8 folders in my pictures folder. They are labeled, Mom, Dad, Aly, Vinny, trips, Holidays, Misc. and Blog.

2. Inside each of those folders, I have Them further broken down. Friends, holidays, family.

3. I will duplicate pictures and put them in several folders. I know that this takes more memory, but when I go to print them out, I don't have to search several folders for the pictures I want to go together. That work is already done.

4. The advantage to this method also, is that When I print them out, they are already in the order i want to scrap them too.

I promise this year I will stay organized. LOL!!

cutepumpkin
Tenant
cutepumpkin
In response to Jln328

I have so many photos. I order them every month or 2. Today, I organized them by date they were taken. I have a program on my laptop that shows me when they are taken. Before I organized them, I kept them in their packaging from the store and I kept those in order of purchase. I would flip through them and find what I wanted to scrap. I'm not a chronological scrapper. I scrap whatever picture, I find inspiring, so having an open box works best for me.

I do love hearing about everyone's photo system. It seems we all have our own plans for the most part.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 05-04-13 07:57 PM
In response to Jln328

Mine is pretty simple but it works for me. When I print my pics, I sort by event (all Christmas, all corn maze, etc), then cull any that aren't scrap worthy. Then I just alternate vertically and horizontally - I have a corner of my desk where they sit and I just work my way through each event

SplendidMoments
Governor
SplendidMoments
In response to Jln328

I organized my granddaughters Easter pictures and Birthday pictures I had recently done. I keep them in photo cases, and they came with boxes (small and large. For my 5x7 photos, I keep them in a large binder in sleeves till I am ready to use them.

Lookin4newideas
Governor
Lookin4newideas
In response to Jln328

Around the holidays, I bought seven photo boxes from Micheal's that were on sale for 7/$10. Two years ago, I sorted my pictures into gallon bags by sister, niece, or nephew and my daughter, my mom's side of the family, dad's side, etc. I had hoped to start scrapping it all. I have a ton of pictures and over the past two years, I've made a mess of those bags. So, first I used the boxes to sort out all my scrappy stuff by color and by type of item so I can get organized know what I have.

I'm one of seven siblings and two of my sisters never had kids. I don't have many pics of them left to scrap, so they're in a box with my parents and relatives. The rest of the boxes, are broken down into each sibling and their families.

Now I have to go threw my doubles...

jenniferscrapsalot
New Kid On the Block
jenniferscrapsalot
In response to Kels

I took my over 200 photos of my first sons communion, and organized them into photos i will scrap, photos i will use in project life, photos i will put in albums, and photos i will store away

julie101
Diva
julie101
In response to arlsmom

With my old family photos that I have scanned on to my pc I have them in a folder then I have sub folders that breaks it down to each family member or event.

With photo that I have printed ready to scrap I went and brought cheap photo albums and sorted them by person and I have tired to stick them in order of age.

cdpeck 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Kels

My girls have had ballet recital rehearsals and performances all week this year. I have taken almost 350 pictures of them and their friends on stage. I spent much of my time today sorting, editing, and ranking those photos to know which I want to print and scrap with later.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-04-13 09:14 PM
In response to Jln328

I hadn't organized any of my 2013 photos yet. Most of them were still in folders called DCIM2, DCIM3, etc from just moving them off my camera card. So I went through and organized them by date and event. 378 photos I have a folder called Photos, then subfolders for each year, and then a folder for each event. Example:
Folders --> 2013 --> 03-03-2013 - Duck Pond

When I am ready to print them, I'll go through each folder and create a "To Print" subfolder with just the ones I want printed. I know I probably should delete the ones that are blurry or whatever but I just can't bring myself to do that quite yet.

Lishy
Lishy 
Expert
Lishy
  • Lishy on 05-04-13 09:15 PM
In response to cdpeck

To organize my photos, first I separate the photos in to piles for different years and events. I then label dividers with the dates and events of the photos. Then I put them in a photo box in chronological order of the date.

scrappinlilly
Idol
scrappinlilly
In response to Lishy

I love this challenge, I look forward to it cuz I am very bad and never keep up on organizing my photos but this gives me the opportunity to get some done (now to just keep working on it throughout the year)

I sort mine out on the computer by child if they are just of a specific person if not I go by event, sometimes it is hard to decide which folder to put them in for printed pictures I put them in a box by person I have them labeled with each name then I have one that says each family so it is my side of the family they will all go together then I have events for the ones that are special events like vacations, hope this all makes sense

amancuso
Diva
amancuso
In response to scrappinlilly

I organize all my photos on my computer. I don't print them until I'm ready to scrap them. I have a folder for each year, and inside that, I have one for each month. In the monthly photos each "event" gets it's own photo with a name and date. I put all the photos in there, and the ones I've edited and want to scrap are at the top of the folder.

Then when i want to scrap, I just print whatever I'm in the mood for!

nado
nado 
Diva
nado
  • nado on 05-06-13 05:30 AM
In response to amancuso

I uploaded my photos on Saturday and explained in the photo, but not here! Am I still eligible? I filed my photos in a file box by date. I had photos from the last 8 years without dates on some! Took awhile. Thanks!

Kels
Kels 
Marketing Goddess
Kels
  • Kels on 05-06-13 07:38 AM
In response to nado

• nado Said:
I uploaded my photos on Saturday and explained in the photo, but not here! Am I still eligible? I filed my photos in a file box by date. I had photos from the last 8 years without dates on some! Took awhile. Thanks!

Yep - Just post a link to your gallery upload here so its time stamped

Thanks!

nado
nado 
Diva
nado
  • nado on 05-06-13 01:42 PM
In response to Kels

Here is mine, which I did Saturday, but didn't realize I needed to link here
Get it together Challenge By Nado

Kels
Kels