Username Post: Recycling 3-ring binders        (Topic#1587917)
obillo 
New Kid On the Block

I am just beginning the transition to scrapbooking from stuffing things in drawers, cigar boxes, between books and in 'safe places,' and I wonder about recycling some old 3-ring binders. I have a half dozen of them and they are tremendously sturdy and made for heavy use, with real hinges, industrial-grade rings, padded boards and so on. A pity to throw them away, but they are covered in hideous brown plastic.

I'd like some advice on covering them with fabric or paper. Can I glue or otherwise attach fabric or paper to the plastic? Do I have to peel off the plastic and then glue directly to the boards? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to obillo

I've attached "leather" fabric on to a binder. I did not take the vinyl off. I used spray glue to do it.

I don't know what would happen if you take the vinyl off, is it not glued on and would it tear the cardboard underneath? That could make it Not Smooth to recover. If the vinyl is loose and stretched however, I would try to remove it. I would love to see how this turns out.

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to CrimsonMama

I only did this once......did not take the vinyl off for the reasons you stated. I covered it with fabric and it turned out great....I still have it....it's still good. My vinyl was white, however, so I could use a light colored fabric. It was like a chintz type, flowers on a white background....kind of country cottage look! That's my only experience with this...I did use spray adhedsive......!!!!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to memex9

Welcome to Scrapbook.com!

I wouldn't take the vinyl off either, just cover it. As for adhesive, I've never used spray glue but it sounds like the way to go. I would use double-sided tape or my ATG around the edges for strength too.

Oh one thing, if the binders were not originally designed for scrap-booking, just make sure that the rings are the right distance apart for the holes in the page protectors before you go to any extensive effort. (And yes, that is the voice of bitter experience speaking)

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I made a cover for one of my "scrappin" notebooks. I measured all, then sewed fold over flap pockets for the ends. Mine was with Christmas material and I keep Christmas ideas in that book. The cover can be removed and washed. You could use quilted material that would probably fit a little more snug.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to wilbur

Have you ever covered a book with contact paper to protect the cover? You'd want to use the same method to cover your binder. I've used handmade paper and fabric, and both work really well. Do you want a tutorial? I might be able to whip something up if you want.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Hdubarry

mod podge over paper might work. will mod podge stick to vinyl? anyone have experience with this on album covers? seems it would be easy to wipe off.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Another tip with spray glue, make sure you put something down on the floor even if you do it outside. Made that mistake on my hardwood floors! DUH!

obillo 
New Kid On the Block
In response to wilbur

Thanks to all. FYI, I habve no intention of removing the vinyl--just want to cover it. So, Hdubarry, a tutorial would be welcome. I'm leaning toward handmade paper, which is readily available here in NYC. Did you varnish it for protection? I await your pleasure./

Diva
In response to obillo

Many great ideas!

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to obillo

I'll add that to my to-do list. I have just the album. It's so ugly, I can't wait to cover it! This is the perfect excuse. I'll just ask my son to pick out the paper.

A sheet of handmade paper will work wonderfully. I've gotten some from NYC too. There's a lovely local store here where I can grab some if the little guy doesn't like what I have. It's the album for the pages he makes.

Hdubarry
Tenant
Hdubarry
In response to Hdubarry

I'm uploading the how to video to youtube right now. I should be able to share it on my website later tonight.

And it's up!

Here's the link. (I hope that's okay with forum rules.)
http://noexcusescrapbooki ng.com/upcycle-your-old-viny l-...

Edited by Hdubarry on 05-21-13 04:47 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics