Username Post: hardcore traditional?        (Topic#1588211)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I want to hear from people who ONLY do traditional scrapbooking and can't imagine going digital.(With all due respect to the digital community, my pc is for work only).

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bonprof

I wouldn't really call myself hardcore (when I saw that, I was thinking more of very old-fashioned black-paper-and-photo-cor ners), but I'm exclusively a paper scrapper.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to aquabunny

I'm hardcore. I spend enough time on the computer for other things and can't imagine scrapping digitally.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to aquabunny

I am a strictly paper scrapper, too. I have seen some beautiful layouts that were done digi, and when I look at them on the computer, I love them, but when they are printed out and I look at them, to me they are missing a lot. Strictly my opinion, so I don't want to get hate mail from the digi scrappers, but in my opinion digi LO's are lacking in feeling, it's like looking at a picture in a magazine, pretty but flat, devoid of any emotion. I miss the depth and texture, the slight imperfections that make it unique and special to the creater, the feeling that you can imagine yourself in that moment captured by the camera because of the way the LO draws you in. And I miss the creativity I find in the paper scrappers when they try a new technique or product, or improvise using something I would have never thought of.
Absolutely no offense intended to the digi scrappers, everyone enjoys this hobby for different reasons and with different needs and resources. Thankfully there is plenty of room in the scrapbooking world for all the diverse styles and talents.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to chocolateaxel

The digi scrapbooks are beautiful, but for me i spend 40+ hours a week in front of a computer for work, and i cant make myself spend any more time in front of a computer, I dont think i would enjoy my crafting as much if I did. If ever I got away from a desk/computer job I might dabble in digi, but there is just something I love about having actual supplies in my hand I love. So I doubt I could ever leave traditional scrapping completely

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to MrsAnnieS

I'd have a hard time doing digi scrapping. I love both outcomes (paper and digi), but the part I enjoy the most is actually playing with the paper and scissors and glue.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

I agree with everything chocolateaxel said. That's how I feel about digital scrapbooking. I'm strictly a paper scrapper.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to crichards1

I don't scrapbook much anymore (I make cards more often now), but even so, I can't imagine going digi simply because I love to play with everything. I love to hold paper and manipulate things with my hands. I see what some digi artists do and I am in awe of their talent and artistry, but it's just not for me.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to siameseplease

There is something that touches my "inner child" when I play with the paper, punches, ink and so much more. I appreciate everyones comments and perspective.

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

• chocolateaxel Said:
I am a strictly paper scrapper, too. I have seen some beautiful layouts that were done digi, and when I look at them on the computer, I love them, but when they are printed out and I look at them, to me they are missing a lot. Strictly my opinion, so I don't want to get hate mail from the digi scrappers, but in my opinion digi LO's are lacking in feeling, it's like looking at a picture in a magazine, pretty but flat, devoid of any emotion. I miss the depth and texture, the slight imperfections that make it unique and special to the creater, the feeling that you can imagine yourself in that moment captured by the camera because of the way the LO draws you in. And I miss the creativity I find in the paper scrappers when they try a new technique or product, or improvise using something I would have never thought of.
Absolutely no offense intended to the digi scrappers, everyone enjoys this hobby for different reasons and with different needs and resources. Thankfully there is plenty of room in the scrapbooking world for all the diverse styles and talents.

I agree 100% and hopefully no offense to any digi scrapper . Although I often wonder if I should try digi since I don't have a lot of storage space. But I know I will miss the touchy feely elements of paper scrapbooking. So for now, I will make more room for my traditional scrapbooking layouts

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to Mama2Thomas

I do traditional scrapping. Not sure if it is hardcore or not.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dorichatelain

I love paper...I have been on several digital DT but paper is my first love. So I would have to say hard core paper.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Sneezy1956

I consider myself a paper scrapper....but I do edit my photos on the computer, do journalling on the computer and do digital diecutting/some design stuff....
On one podcast I listen to, they call that "hybrid".....technically, they said if you edit your photos, you do hybrid scrapbooking....

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps

Paper scrapper here too; nothing against digital layouts, they just aren't my thing. It kinda feels like cheating to me, you know, like making a cake out of a box mix instead of scratch, but in a pinch it will do.

Never tried it either though. I spend all day on a computer and I prefer putting my hands on and touching all my stash.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser

I explored digiscrapping for a brief time, but dropped it and went back to paper scrapping and cardmaking. I found I need to see the supplies in front of me and get my hands on that pretty pretty paper! The sheer "physical" act of scrapping entrances me more than working on a computer, which, like many others, I do for a living. So it's paper for me!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to meezerpleaser

On the rare occasion that I do make a cake, its straight from the box, but my scrapping is all about my hands on the paper and the ink and the paint and the stencils and and and

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-22-13 10:30 AM
In response to Kim222

I do both - there are unique qualities to each form and I take pleasure in both. I love the hands-on experience, playing with tools and getting messy with ink and sprays, different textures of paper and embellies, and running something through my Big Shot is ALWAYS fun. I also love the unique digital things that I can do with Photoshop. I do spend all day at work on a computer, but it's just another tool to me, like my Big Shot, so I don't mind at all using it in my off-time.

And as Kiyawinn points out, even with my paper scrapping there are a lot of digital elements - editing photos, journalling, and I have a digital die-cut machine.

I can understand why some people do only paper, or only digi. And, in support of the feelings of the OP, while I derive great satisfaction from both mediums, playing with real paper is definitely just more fun.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to dorichatelain

I would rather stick a needle in my eye than do ditital scrapbooking. That's what I meant by hardcore. I'm kind of extreme. No offense to the digi world.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

For me, I can't imagine doing only paper and never using the computer to go with it. Like some of the others, I'm more hybrid even in my paper LOs since I edit pictures, print-out clip art, and often plan my paper LOs on the computer where it's easy to move things around, manipulate colors, and try embellishments. My final paper LO may look much different from what it is on the computer, but it gives me a good starting point to work from and especially to plan the size of photos to print. I also print many of my bg papers.

I especially like printing out clipart, or making/printing my own flourishes, then glitzing them up with sprays, stickles, embossing, etc. I can get the exact design, color and size I want without spending $4 or $5 on a pack of embellishments. It's easy to make my own 3-D embellies and much cheaper.

I have posted before that I regret starting paper scrapping, but since I have, I enjoy it, but I also like some of the things that can be done with digi...but I don't buy kits. I actually spend more time on a digi LO than a paper one because of all the special effects that can also be used. But digi doesn't make my floor look as pretty and sparkly :>) ~Judy

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to mrsdriver5

That is a good point about the computer time, I stare at a computer all day and have noticed that in the past 4-5 years use my home computer less and less because I just can't bear the thought of looking at a computer screen for another minute! I have a photo editting program that hubs gave me for Christmas that I still don't have a clue how to use, I can't make myself stay on the computer at home long enough to figure it out, lol. I keep my iPad handy for checking in the forums here, and playing a few games, but I can use it laying in bed so it doesn't seem so much like a computer to me.

Edited by chocolateaxel on 05-22-13 11:17 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I don't "work" on a computer, but I'm on it from the time I get up until I go to bed. I have to force myself away to do paper LOs or to do something else...like iron or clean, but I'd have to force myself to do those whether I was on a computer or not! I'm definitely the Computer Geek in our family. Even the teen-agers call me when they need 'puter help :>)~Judy

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to mrsdriver5

Eh, computers were fun in the beginning, when years ago companies were converting to computer from paper files and manual stuff, supposedly the computers would "do away" with paper, HA! But after having spent way more years than I want to admit to in the workforce on a computer, it has lost all charm and appeal for me. Put me to work doing something where I get to get up and move around, and look at something that isn't burning a hole through my retinas. And causing muscle spasms in my neck, shoulders and arms. and, and, and.
Sorry, I saw myself heading for that soapbox and just had to stop, LOL!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I tried digital but it just wasn't for me. I'm a more hands on kind of scrapper. I just love my paper scissors and glue too much I guess. My cousin and both of my sisters left me though and got hooked on digital. They love it and have made some gorgeous pages.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

I wasn't going to reply to this because I have dabbled in digi. It was OK, but a different kind of skill from paper scrapping entirely. Easier in some ways (instant glue and undo) but more difficult in others (working out how to do things, and how to get the effects I wanted). I enjoyed it, and learned one heck of a lot - even got on a DT briefly - but it didn't feel like scrapping to me.

Scrapping is messy. Paper, ink, glue, dimension. More exercise, including shopping . It's harder work than digi, less instant satisfaction, more of a sense of achievement. I find it more satisfying.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I love paper scrapping. I downloaded a free digi program and instantly gave up on it. I love the layers and the feel of paper. Those who do digi do a great job but it's so not for me. The most digital I get is to upload and print my photos though. I don't even edit them. I'd love to use my computer for journaling and printing things out but that requires a printer and ink!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

i'm a paper scrapper. I have done digi but i like working with paper and getting glue on my fingers.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to bonprof

Oh yeah...I am most definitely hard core traditional!! I like to smell new paper, run my hands through buttons, sort through letters and trinkets, and stick stickers here, there, and everywhere! I admit I have loved many digi layouts I have seen others do but for me the creating fun is in the touching, sorting, and smelling part-LOL!!

scrapperbee
Deity
scrapperbee
In response to Vintageivy

I enjoy looking at digital lo's and certainly appreciate the advantages of them. That said, I am a tactile person, love the feel, look, smell of all the textures, layers, colors, products. Plus, it is therapy for me for the same reasons. Thus, I love my paper scrapping and intend to stick with it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vintageivy

But for those of you that call yourself hard core traditional.....does that mean that you don't ever edit your photos or type journalling on the computer and print it out or use clip art or make papers etc....?

I've downloaded designs for paper, journalling cards, ATC, shapes etc....and I size them, cut them out and use them on my paper layouts....that's hybrid and I love being able to "design" my own embellishments and papers to match what I'm doing! I loved the printed vellum (and printed overlays) that I saw from some of the companies recently so I made my own....I love that I can do that!

But there is no way that I would ever give up my paper, playing with inks, embossing, taping, making flowers etc....I love to have my hands in it and I love techniques...the "artiness" of it!
So in that sense, I'm a hardcore (though maybe not traditional) paper scrapper!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to kiyawinn

I'm with Alison :>) I'm trying to find the time to do both, but since I have all the supplies, I'm not going to give up paper. I like making my paper and all the extras on the computer, printing them out, then doing all the traditional stuff with my unique products.~Judy

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to kiyawinn

I can honestly say I've never made paper, embellishments, clip art or anything else for a scrapbook on the computer, and as I mentioned earlier, hubs bought me a photo editing program for Christmas because I thought I wanted one so badly, thought it would enhance my mediocre pics. It might if I had any freaking clue how to use it! All I can do so far, 6 months later, is open the program. I guess that's progress, lol! I do very little journalling in my scrapbooks, so that's a non-issue.
Once I get away from work, I stay as far away from computers as humanly possible. I get on the home computer to pay bills, and to print out copies of my resume, other than that I want to forget it's even in the house. I play on my iPad while I lay on the couch or in bed watching tv, but since I can do that laying down it doesn't feel computer related, lol

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-22-13 07:37 PM

I love printing my journaling. It has nothing to do with my handwriting... I just normally like to print things smaller than I could write them by hand so that I can fit more into my journaling blocks.

I have printable vellum and I never print anything on it... Alison do you have examples of printed vellum I could see? This sounds so pretty!

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to kiyawinn

• kiyawinn Said:
But for those of you that call yourself hard core traditional.....does that mean that you don't ever edit your photos or type journalling on the computer and print it out or use clip art or make papers etc....?

Edit photos: yes, like cropping and red-eye fixes (no filters or anything like that)
Type journaling: almost never (I use my own handwriting on at least 98% of my layouts)
Clip art: never
Make papers: never

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to cindy312

If we're going to be really "hard-core" and take digital out of the equation completely, then that doesn't only remove photo editing and computer journalling, it removes the Cricut, Silhouette, even this site, Pinterest, and any on-line inspiration... and actually the digital photos themselves.

So nope, call me hybrid if you like, but these days it's pretty impossible to scrap without any digital input at all.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Yeah, I think we need to differentiate between "hybrid" (which I think of as printing and using elements intended for digital scrapping) and "computer-assisted" (which covers stuff like photo editing typed journaling)

If you're not editing your digital photos (and I just mean brightness, contrast, red-eye, etc.) you might as well use a film camera. In fact, back in the late '90s/early '00s, when I WAS using a 35mm film camera, I was STILL printing journaling from my computer.

Resident

I cant say I don't do anything on the computer (I make cards also) and have thousands of digital stamps that I resize and print out to colour, I also have a cameo and am finally using it (only been a year and a half) and that thing is amazing... so I guess that would not make me hardcore enough :P

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to must_love_paper

Im all about the paper and the mess of paints, sprays, gesso, ink, and on and on lol. I love the creative process, even the huge mistakes. I love to learn new techniques and if a computer helps me with that I will use it. I will never digi scrap just because I love the mess. I do use the computer though.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

I am a paper scrapper. I do use my computer for journaling, fonts, images that I want on my page like digi stamps, clip art, vintage images. I just got a Cameo so I will be using that too.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-23-13 06:44 AM

I love the smell, the feel, the textures of paper.
I love getting my hands all colors from the paints, inks, and mists. I love the feel of buttons running through my hands and the soft feel of ribbon. I love creating dimension and depth.
I love the feeling I get when the cover-up or solution to a mistake is better than what I was going form.
I love sitting at a crop table with my friends next to me and across from me and swapping tools and goodies. I love getting help from them and giving it back.
I love using random not scrap specific materials on my layouts. I love being able to use my ephemera and souvenirs on my layouts.

I LOVE paper scrapping.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-23-13 11:18 AM
In response to GMFTS

Aquabunny, that's an interesting thought about differentiating between hybrid and digital-assisted.

Vae, I use a LOT of vellum, here are a couple of my favorites:
The entire recipe block, title, and the pyrex dish are all on vellum
Cookbook project: mac-and-cheese By Stick

The center photo is printed on vellum and matted with mulberry:
Gooseberry Falls State Park By Stick

Edited by stick on 05-23-13 11:19 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to GMFTS

I love your post!! I feel the same way.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to GMFTS

This was the post I enjoyed so much! Thank you

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
I love printing my journaling. It has nothing to do with my handwriting... I just normally like to print things smaller than I could write them by hand so that I can fit more into my journaling blocks.

I have printable vellum and I never print anything on it... Alison do you have examples of printed vellum I could see? This sounds so pretty!

Yes, Vae, these are ones that I've made myself (from downloaded digital files) for Valentines Day and below are examples of ones you can get here (American Crafts has quite a few but other companies are coming out with them too)...
I like to die cut with them or just cut a shape and use for a layer on my background....
They are really nice to use on cards, too!

Printed vellum By Kiyawinn

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

I scrap sometimes alone but most times with pals at crops or in each others homes.....My feeling is that I would feel less connected if I did digi....I like playing with paper, glue, punches....I get to hold up a page and say "What do you gals think?" I love that.

So I guess I am HARDCORE paper scrapper that is MOSTLY 2 page layouts.....

Vivian Lake
Idol
Vivian Lake

I prefer to play with paper! I have never tried digital scrapbooking and probably never will. That being said I think digital scrapbooking has its place for any reason. Lack of space for supplies, lack of desire to play with paper, or maybe lack of time but still wanting to create something with a photo. If something ever happened to one of my hands and I couldn't scrap with paper anymore, I would be grateful for digital scrapbooking. That being said, I use my computer a lot while scrapping. I use SCAL program to make my die cuts!!!! LOL

SJB1120
Expert
SJB1120
In response to Vivian Lake

I might get impaled for this but I wanted to throw my two cents into the ring.

I am going to cut into the conversation because I used to be SO against digital scrapbooking. I feel as though people on this site only know me as a digital scrapper, but in reality I only started digital scrapbooking because of the current situation I am in (living abroad and no one's ever heard of a scrapbook, shocking I know). I didn't like the idea of my creativity being limited or not being able to explore different layerings or embellishments. But I didn't really have a choice if I wanted to do something creative.

I will say that I miss physical scrapbooking IMMENSELY, but I do understand why some people prefer digital. I will also say that I think that some aspects of digital scrapbooking are harder than physical (When your only shape options are square and oval and you want to make stars, it takes you 10x longer). I don't spend any money on digital, because I'm not really invested in it so everything I want to use I have to find free or make myself.

Even so, I ultimately consider myself a physical scrapbooker. Will I use digital once I return home? Maybe, maybe not. I'm already planning on how to remake some of my digital LOs into physical ones. There are others that I just want to print out because I don't think I could do what I did with them physically. But doing digital LOs has helped me I think in terms of planning out LOs, seeing the different ways a LO can come together.

So I guess I'm a hybrid, but I think it's going to make me a better scrapbooker when return home.

Seriously though don't impale me.

-Stephanie

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles
In response to SJB1120

I used to be just like some of you with my "hardcore traditional" and "I'll never digi scrap". I used to think of them as "fake layouts" in a way b/c they didn't have the dimension or the layers or this or that.

Last year, I took pics for my sister of her wedding...like 300+ pics! She was never finding the time to come look through them on my PC and I didn't want to print all those pics!! So, I decided to make her a photo book of her pics, so she'd have them printed and able to look at them. I designed my photo book from scratch, uploaded it to a printing place and presented her with a gorgeous layflat book within a month give or take.

Had I hand-scrapped that book...it would've taken me over a year b/c I am sooooooooo slow!!! I'm also extremely busy!! I never seem to have free time at home but at work, on my computer, I actually do.

So, I decided to start making photo books of my own pictures of my kids. I delved into collecting (free) kits, brushes, shapes, textures, patterns, etc. I have found new friends in the digi scrapping world who are soooo incredibly generous! There is no way I'd ever be able to paper scrap thousands and thousands of pics on my pc of my children, when I'm lucky to do a page a month, but I want my pictures printed in a cute way for my kids to look through.

I've done one 38 page book so far in a month. Not nearly as cool looking as some I've seen here, but it works...they are printed and off my computer! I'm learning more and more every day as I digi scrap. Do I like the printed pages as much as my paper pages? No! Like someone else commented, I miss the 3D, the dimension, the thickness, the texture.

I will never quit paper scrapping, I love it way too much! But, when I have 6 hours a day at a job working on a computer with nothing else to do, oh yeah, I'll scrap!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to StarsNSparkles

I can for sure see the rewards of digi projects when they are huge like the one you mentioned. I get it. I just am one of those people who struggle on the pc. It's hard for me, and therefore stressful. Scrapbooking is my outlet for stress,my connection to calm.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I do not think of digi scrapping as fake scrapbooking. I think it requires a lot more computer literacy and skill than I possess. Just the though of it makes my head swim.

Digi pages are gorgeous - and I admire and am in awe of those who can do them.

But for me its the paper and photos etc.

We are on a trip and I think I have 1,500 photos going to WalMart when I go home.

I'm retired and when we are home its not uncommon for me to scrap 10-12 hours in a day. In 5 years I've put together 29 scrapbooks - averaging 85-90 pages each.

I know most people don't have the time I have but it works for me. I enjoy it. I've done 70-100 pages many months - all with cardstock and patterned papers and punches and my Cricut.

But I love digi pages - I just enjoy playing with the papers and photos on my scrap desk.

Please don't think I am negative about digi scrapping - it is very real and I'm in awe of the beauty of the pages.

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to bonprof

Strictly traditional! I work on a computer all day and just don't see myself ever venturing into the digi world. I want to cut, paste, spritz, layer...!

I have seen some lovely digi books that people have made and kudos to them! I just need to get away from the computer to do my crafts!

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to kiyawinn

I hadn't thought about the process leading up to a layout...I do use Snapfish to upload pictures and print/edit them and I use a computer for much of my journaling. I use my Cricut to create some of my embellishments. When I am actually creating my layout though I am away from the computer.

timon
timon 
Veteran
timon
  • timon on 05-26-13 07:49 PM

i love paper scrapping. i only use my computer to print/edit photos, type a title or journaling every now and then, and when I use my cricut. I am liking the digi carts more and more - easier to store. When it comes to creating my lo's i am traditional, cutting paper, inking it, sanding, adhesive, embellies, rub-ons....all hands on!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 05-27-13 04:06 PM
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
I love your post!! I feel the same way.

Thanks.

And to those who are 'defending' digi - I don't think anyone here is against it - just that we like paper.

I believe that digi makes as much sense as paper does and that really it is all art - just different media.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to GMFTS

i prefer paper scrapbooking, especially when it comes to looking at them later. so many things don't get printed and that saddens me. if your computer with the digi layouts crashes, you lose it all. with paper scrapping it forces me to print the pics and put them in a book, almost as a backup.

and i like playing with my supplies.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Lamoo12

I would think most anyone who does digi would keep at least one back-up copy of their work. I keep backed-up copies of all of the pictures I use for paper scrapping and also take a picture of my finished paper projects and keep those backed up on a couple of external drives. We live in brush fire country and we might not be able to get all the scrapbooks out, but I keep a back-up hard drive at another location, so I wouldn't lose everything.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
i prefer paper scrapbooking, especially when it comes to looking at them later. so many things don't get printed and that saddens me. if your computer with the digi layouts crashes, you lose it all.

I print out my digi pages and keep them in a scrapbook, just like traditional pages, or frame them so I do get to see most of them just as much as I would paper pages.

It's nice to see how many people have had kind things to say about digi pages on here

lcmemories
Angel
lcmemories
In response to scrappercaz

I am not hardcore, since I do both. I love the feel of the paper. I also love the layers and depth in traditional scrapbooking. However, I create just as many digital pages as I do traditional ones. All of my digital pages are printed and placed in my scrapbooks, side by side with my traditional pages. I have just as much of an emotional attachment to all of the pages I make. Basically, scrapbooking for me is about being creative and preserving the memories.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to lcmemories

I'm strictly a paper scrapper. I don't edit my photos or print elements or journaling.

I do love to look at digi lo's cause they are so beautiful too.

But just something about getting to get my hands on the paper and embellies and such is what I love!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics