Page 1 of 7 
Username Post: June Photo Fun        (Topic#1588367)
desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

WELCOME TO JUNE 2013 PHOTO FUN

Through this group I've made some wonderful friends and enjoy meeting new friends in our group each and every month. If you are joining for the first time this month, you're in for a treat - what a FABULOUS group of caring/sharing women. Welcome everyone!

Lots of us have cameras we use now and again for a snapshot or two. Some of us have new cameras itching to be put to use and get more familiar with. Sound like FUN?! It IS!!!! Get your camera out and USE it. Just take pictures, share pictures, and stretch your camera use beyond where it is today. We all love photos -and photos are the heart and soul of our scrapbooks. Let's take GREAT photos - Experiment. Try different lighting, try "on location" shoots -even if that means taking an orange outside and taking it's photo on the lawn.

RULES:

1- Take 10 photo's throughout the month. These can be of what ever you choose. You may post them at any time (just try not to post all at once). Please link them to your gallery for easy access for comments.

2 - NO STRESS - if you aren't having fun it's not worth doing

3 - Comments - We all LOVE comments on our photos so please make an effort to visit/comment as possible, but ---
SEE RULE 1 - NO STRESS. If you don't have time to comment on photos (or can only comment on some) that's FINE!

4 - MISSING PHOTOS - SO WHAT? See rule 1 - NO STRESS. Life gets in the way - it happens to all of us. Post your photos when you can - See RULE 1 - NO STRESS

Just join in and SHARE!!!

How to upload a photo
1.Go to your gallery. Top right you will see Add Projects.
2. Choose File and Upload. If you upload more than 1 file you can categorize them in "Same" or "Seperate" Projects.
3. Select Image Type.
4. Add Title and Description to your photo. You have the option to categorize also. If you keep your photos somewhere specific be sure to add them to the appropriate album. Make sure to "SAVE" your changes if you add them to an album. The SAVE button is at the bottom of the pop up box, you'll probably have to scroll down to see it.
5. If you choose to submit an image for our end of month contest, please be sure to mark the "ALLOW EMBEDDING"
6. Click Submit. Your photo will now be in your gallery.

How to add a clickable image to your post.
1. Pull up the image you wish to share in your gallery.
2. To the right of your photo and around the bottom part of your image you will see SHARE. Click the Link & Embed Image.
3. When the box comes up mark the IMG Code. Here you can also choose the size of the image you want to add to the thread. Click on the code box..it will turn purple. Right click on it to copy.
4. Next, go to the thread where you want to post your image. Click in the text space and paste your code with a right click of your mouse.
5. TaDa!!! You did it!

End Of Month Photo Contest

We will be having an end of month photo contest each month. You may submit 1 photo YOU have personally taken. PM me with it by the date requested to be entered in our POLL. Oh, make sure you have the "Allow Public Embedding" checked so I may post it in the poll. We will have one winner per month unless there is a tie. If you are the monthly winner PM me your address. I will be looting my personal scrapbook stash to share with you to help keep my cost down. You might find an extra surprise in there too! Just so it's fair to all our players...please make sure if you submit a photo for the contest you have completed all 10 photo's for the month and YOU have personally taken them during the current month. The mini challenge photo's are not required, simply for fun. You can however, submit one of your challenge photo's (mini's) to the contest.

**End of Month photo contest entry deadline: June 28th by 6pm EST (I will post poll the evening of the 28th)

GO & HAVE FUN!!

Challenges you want, challenges you get-these are just for fun - no obligation! Use these 10 prompts to inspire your photos in any way you see fit. There are no right or wrong ideas.

June Minis:

1 - In a row
2 - Bridge
3 - Bokeh
4 - Memory
5 - Tribute
6 - What's cookin'
7 - Just a pretty weed
8 - Todays adventure
9 - Twisted
10 - Dusk

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to desilu3131

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

yay.....I'm first! I'm in!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to Linnny

I'm second!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Anna C

I am here too!

smcdavid1
Resident
smcdavid1
In response to rockmom

I'm in plaese

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to smcdavid1

I'm in!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to Heather4859

Me too! Me too!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to KristaDee

JCI

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Busy day. Been scrapping, tearing off wall paper in the front entry hall, talking on the phone to my mom, keeping an eye on the weather, watering the garden and cooking. Had a BLT with home grown tomatoes for lunch. Nothing better! Tonight we had rotisserie chicken DH picked up from the store, also au gratin potatoes, sliced home grown tomatoes, and fried home grown okra from last year. Pulled some green onions and had a few of those too. Chocolate chip ice cream cones - sugar for me and waffle for DH- for dessert. I must say home grown food is so tasty!

Heard from DD2 she and her hubby are having a great anniversary trip to San Diego. They took a trolley tour, went to Balboa park and visited the museums, went to the zoo, toured the USS Midway, been eating in Seaside village each evening. Today they rented a convertible and drove to LA, had dinner in Hard Rock Café and are stopping at La Hoya beach for the sunset. Tomorrow they are doing a dinner cruise in the bay. They fly home Saturday.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to rockmom

Denise....sounds like your DD is having a stellar time!

Uman and I have been playing games tonight. It's not been a great day. Last day of school with other shocking news. Will elaborate later when he is not in the room.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Night!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

I am here! Hopefully, I will get the mo-jo to do some shooting in June!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

Lori I hope everyone is well.

Denise that meal sounds wonderful. I can't wait until I am picking tomatoes.

Good night everyone.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to MissaOnTheRun

BLT's.... mmmmmm

I love it when my boys can quote movies! LOL We made a reference tonight at the supper table about iocane powder (from Princess Bride) then I said "As you wish" and then Crispin started quoting the lines from the ship "Fezix, are there rocks ahead? If there are we'll all be dead. No more rhymes, I mean it! Anybody want a peanut?" It was so funny. Cody was just laughing so hard he couldn't say anything.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to KristaDee

Oh - have any of you seen Water for Elephants? Watched it tonight with a girlfriend.. wow, what a great movie. Emotional and intense in spots, but well worth it. We started our evening with Eat, Love, Pray but that lasted about a half hour... then we just found it boring.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to KristaDee

Good morning!

Lori, I hope everything is ok on your end.

Denise, hope DD has a great trip and I enjoyed thinking of your meals!

Carolyn, I hope June is a better month for you.

Have a great day ladies!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to Anna C

Good morning.

It's pouring here, and it's dry inside! Guess the new shingles are doing their job.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to KristaDee

Good morning!

Krista I did not see Water for Elephants, but I loved the novel. I thought it was a beautiful story and the writing was really great.

I'll be back a little later

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to KristaDee

Morning!

Krista...I watched Water For Elephants a few days ago, I really enjoyed it. I am not a fan of Robert Pattison or Reese. I do however really like Christoph Waltz & Hal Holbrook. I also recently watched Django Unchained which was an OK movie the first 1/2, got stupid after that. But Christoph was great in it. WFE is probably not one I'd watch over and over though. Today (maybe) I'll finish the movie I started yesterday, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I'm to a part now where they meet a man named Dorian Gray. I just watched that movie last week, lol. Usually I'm not a big movie watcher but I've been multitasking while knitting.

nanasan
Mayor
nanasan

Count me in...thanks!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Rain here expected all day.

OK now for my news.....of course we are all OK. Nothing major.

The story goes like this. We were assured U would make one of the 3 teams he tried out for. We actually were not all that interested in trying out for them. This league was formed last year, some of you may remember he did not make it. Well, we tried out for the AAA team and he did not make that one, no surprise, there were only 2-3 spots open. SO we went this Wednesday to try out for the gold & silver team. We were assured he would make one of them. 50 some kids were there trying out for roughly 34 spots between both teams. We waited and waited all day yesterday for the call back list to be posted for those kids to go back last night (it was supposed to be posted on Wed night). It finally came up about 20 minutes before I left to get U from school. He was not on the list to come back, one of 4 that were cut the first night. When I picked him up I didn't tell him but he said he checked the site all day at school too. He made a beeline to the computer once home......his face killed me! My phone and my DH's phone were being blown up all afternoon with people calling FLOORED that his name was not on the call back list. There were people calling that we hadn't seen or talked to in 2 years. They were also telling us that people we didn't even know were talking about it. This is SO not cool!! Two of our old coaches are completely dumbfounded. The heartbreaking part is Uriah asking what he's doing wrong. He is fine of course today although still pondering WHY as we all are. I do know the reason he got cut last year was because of his size. At these tryouts this time there were only 3 or 4 other kids that were close to U's size. The rest came up to his armpits and I am not exaggerating. I'm just sick for him at the moment but, I whole heartedly believe there is a reason for all that happens. Kinda hard to explain that to a 12 year old kid that gives his 100% all the time.

On a positive note, our old coach from last year has been very instrumental in U's skills so far. We have been with him from the beginning and he loves U like his own kid. He is now coaching this year on the league we tried out for and our head coach from last year is now going to be his assistant. By the way, he is high on Uman too. Didn't take long for him to figure out U is a diamond in the rough and what a stand up kid he is. We heard that over and over this past season. Anyway, the coach, has come to me with a possible solution but it has to be board approved. Firstly, the last of the season last year I had discussed moving U up a level. Both coaches had no problem saying he could do it, as in he was big enough & played well enough. I did tell them that if he make the Jr. Ice team (what we just tried out for) that I would not bump him up, only for the travel team that we played on. At this level, Bantam, they check. I figured that it would be a good opportunity to bump him up as 1/2 our team was moving up, due to age, and Uman is bigger than them all. He really liked all his team mates so well and they would all be green in the checking department. So, back to the coach we have been with, he had his team tryouts last week. I of course have been watching the site to see if any of our last years team made the cuts. Not one on the birth years or Gold teams so far. Coach called me and had a brain storm. He has slim pickings for his team and not near the amount to cut as what tried out for Uriah's level, Peewee. He told me he had talked to a couple board members for the Jr Ice and told them that he knew of a few '01 players that were better than the kids trying out for his team. They asked who and coach said. Each board member knew exactly who U was. They agreed that coach could could pick a couple kids if they got cut from the teams they were trying out for. So far in talking to a few board members they have all agreed that they would vote yes to move him up. I had already looked at the play up policy for the league and they are not hip on moving kids up. There is a lot of crud to go through to do so. Coach said there is no guarantee that it will happen but he has a lot of clout here. At one time he was the most sought out high school coach in the state. He is well respected. If it's possible for him to grab U he is going to do his darndest. I don't know if it has to be a unanimous vote across the board but so far 3 out of 5 have said yes. When we played for our travel team last year, U had to be voted in as we did not sign him up for house play. He was the only kid voted in and they cut enough kids to fill another team. So, I'm not getting my hopes up but I know everything will be done that can be by both coaches. No one has a clue as to why this has happened. Coach was mad and he was at the rink last night watching the next round as his kid got a call back. He told me he was going directly to the coaches of both teams and find out why, he was that concerned and disturbed.

I know this is all petty, it's a stupid sport/political issue but it is a big part of our lives. I'm certain that it all boils down to who kisses who's butts and someone's buddy had a kid that needs on. As a matter of fact, the gold team was just posted and one of our kids made it. He can't skate worth a hoot but has been paying the head coach for lessons. That's not a hard one to figure out. I really hope that U gets his opportunity to play up. I have not said a word to him about it. The coach also said it's not because he is friends/knows us that he wants Uriah. He has no doubt of Uriah's ability and would not ask for our approval if he didn't believe Uriah could do it. My kid has been the top goal scorer one each team he's been on for the last 3 years. He obviously is 3 times the size of the kids he plays with and does not have the fastest feet, but the kid knows the game better than any one else his age. We have been told by many that kid is good! It's also impressive when you hear people you don't know talking about him and they have no idea your the mom, lol! We have had other teams coaches come up to us after games an speak so highly of him specifically. It's a great feeling! So, this is why we are so frustrated and people are in complete shock over this huge slap in the face. Sorry to write a book but I feel a little less frustrated now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the board will approve the bump up for him.

We are heading to the laundry mat, oh joy. Bank and a few other errands too.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Lori, my heart is breaking for U-Man!!!! 12 is too young to have to deal with 'life isn't always fair'.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Linnny

Linda...my heart is SO SO SO happy right now!! The board just approved him unanimously to bump up! HE IS ONE THE TEAM!!!! Praise God!!!

My phone has been blowing up again! I'm now finally off to get my running done!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Prayers answered!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to Linnny

That's wonderful news Lori!!!! I bet Uman will be very pumped about that.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to KristaDee

Missa, your tomatoes will be ready before you know it!

Not seen that movie (WFE), what is it about?

Hi Anna, Sandra, Linda.

Oh Lori, coaches! It is so dang unfair to pick by who is paying for lessons and who isn't and who is your kids friend and who isn't or who you work with and who you don't. Poor U and y'all having to go through all that. I remember it so well. But yay for the bump up, he will be a better player ahead of the kids his age because of it.

Need to get after it and work on removing more wallpaper but here I sit. oh well I guess I am not in a hurry.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to rockmom

Lori I am so happy to hear the great news about Uman! Picking him up from school today should be a lot easier than yesterday!

Denise you are right! Thanks for reminding me.

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan

Here we go again!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to erjaan

Hi dearies......

soooooo, I call Lexmark to help me set up my printer with new router and laptop. They will do so for $79.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tech was very nice and suggested I try to do it myself.

sooooooooo, 2 hours later my head hurts really bad...printer is not hooked up. Followed the instructions right up to the usb cable....hooked it as it seems to go.....and can't get beyond that. Printer is on....I believe I'm using the right thingys.

So, I will give tech support for the hp and see if they can help...in the mean time, I think i'll have lunch and play scrabble to unwind.

it is sooooooooo freakin hot....just gave my plants some water...too hot to sit outside.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to erjaan

Question: how do you prevent this building distortion - the bending inward of what should be straight vertical lines? Anyone know?

Photo Fun By Rockmom

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

I hear that Linda, its so humid, heat index is at 100 here in Houston.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to rockmom

Denise...I do notice the distortion. In the editing program I use there is a place for lens correction. Beyond that I do not know a fix. Sometimes I'll click on lens correction in my program and I do see a change. I have only used it a few times.

It has been raining here all day with several downpours. My hair was straight but it looks like a rats nest now, lol! I don't even care. It has been really windy but it is pleasant out temp wise.

Missa....U's last day of school was yesterday. He had to go an extra day due to a snow day make up.

Our coach called and talked to Uriah personally to ask him to be on his team after the approval. I can't tell you the smile that was on the kids face. I did hear U thank him several times and promised to do his very best for the team. He is super happy and very stoked! Thanks for listening to me whine earlier! I so needed that vent!

Now I've got to get my fingers busy making things for our shop.

Linda....I know nothing about setting up printers. Have always had someone else do it for me. Wonder what a geek would charge, like a Best Buy Geek? I really want to get a printer for my Mac, our Dell is not compatible.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

I don't want to say too much about Water for Elephants - don't want to spoil it if you want to see it! It's about a young man, who "accidently" joins a circus. Falls in love with the leading star (who happens to be married to the Ringmaster - who is abusive to her and the animals). Long story short - he gets the girl. It's really good - starts out with an old man telling his story - he happens to be the young man who joined.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to KristaDee

Aha thanks Krista.

Thanks Lori, I don't have a program that would edit that way at the moment. Wondered if there was a way to correct if while taking the shot?

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to rockmom

Good news Lori.

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859

Lori, I found a blip on pruning lilacs that says it better than I could

• Quote:
Prune your lilac bushes just after the blooms have wilted and dropped off. Lilacs form next spring’s buds soon after the spring blooms are gone. Late pruning will result in hacking away next spring’s bloom

Edited by Mrs PaulyD on 05-31-13 04:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Ah...thank you Heather. That was definitely the problem then! I had no idea the buds set so soon! Next Spring it ought to be loaded!!

We went to dinner tonight at Bob Evans with the DIF. I had a salad and am stuffed, brought part of it home too. Lunch Tomorrow!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

JFF....

May P12 By Desilu3131

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Night girls.

Tomorrow U and I are heading out early. Spending the morning "thrifting" with the oldest DD. Maybe lunch & a strawberry fest in her town.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

OK...lied once again.

Just watched the news and we are in for a stormy night. Tornado watch though the wee hours, hail & straight line winds. Bet I'll sleep through it all.

I found out the night before last (waiting on the tryout results to be posted) Uriah only slept about 3 hours. He claimed he was up many times though the night checking the computer. DD just confirmed tonight, she was up around 3 that morning to go to the bathroom and he was sitting at my computer. How funny and sad at the same time. The pressure he must have felt.....I can tell you that he is resting easy tonight. He even napped on his own this afternoon. Poor kid must have been so tired.

Signing off for the night for real....have a great one!!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

I am so happy for Uman Lori - I remember those political days and I don't miss them at all.

I also have a question - what exactly is bokeh?

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Morning! I cant believe it is June. Feels like we're still waiting for Spring here

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

here is my first one for June - I didn't realize until after I took it today that it fit a mini for the month

2013 June Photo Fun - June 1 - Mini Bridge By Ladybing Tammy

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres

Hi ladies! June already...wow!

Lori, that is great news for Uriah! Glad he was able to get some sleep now. Oh too much stress, poor guy!

HUGS to you all! We have sun so I gotta head outside. I suppose weed the garden. Sigh. The Little Mister got sick this morning. Hoping his late breakfast stays down. Poor kid was so hungry. I made him wait 3 hours (that's my rule).

Later!

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to KristaDee

• KristaDee Said:
Oh - have any of you seen Water for Elephants? Watched it tonight with a girlfriend.. wow, what a great movie. Emotional and intense in spots, but well worth it. We started our evening with Eat, Love, Pray but that lasted about a half hour... then we just found it boring.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see WFE. Eat Pray Love was not very good in my opinion.

nanasan
Mayor
nanasan

Wow..hot and humid here! Trying to do some yard work and I am beat! Where are the dgs's when you need them....at the lake playing! lol! More power to them!

Congrats to U! Coaches are rough....we had our share with all that during school days with our sons! Now I see them going through some of the same stuff with their sons....and our youngest ds was a coach!and loved it! Very political...been there..! So hang in there Lori! for U!

Hope all will be safe through the storms! DH may go to Moore Ok. next week with a disaster relief team! Seems they keep popping up...and all the rain! We could sure use some rain!

Enough rambling...better get back to the yard and clean up what I have messed up! and maybe take some pictures...surely I can find something!

Oh...a new camera is in my future (maybe by Christmas) Any suggestions...I want a really good one this time...tell me what you all have!

Thanks...have a good day. Later.........

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to nanasan

Tammy: BOKEH

http://www.apnphotographyschool.com/tips-tricks/bokeh-6...

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

JCI

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to rockmom

thank you Denise (I don't really have to try to hard to manage a fuzziness!)

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to rockmom

Denise, loved your church photo. I know I've read the name for that type of lens distortion but I can't remember how to spell it.

Questions:

What lens were you using?

What focal length was it set at?

What was your aperture, shutter, and ISO set to?

I am thinking it was partly the focal length you were at and the distance from the subject that may play into this. Some lenses are more prone to this or have a certain spot in the lens that will produce this more than other spots.

Will see what I come up with by your answers.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

LOL I hear that Tammy, the older I get the easier it is. Thank goodness for tripods. Key to bokeh is subject in focus, background fuzzy and glowing.

Regarding the distortion: I could not sleep last night (storms had me riled up) so stayed up watching YouTube videos on it. Seems its a perspective distortion or divergent verticals distortion. Cure: Photoshop fix, get higher up and more on level with the center of the building's height, move further away and use a telephoto lens, or use a special architectural lens that you can correct the distortion with in camera. Since I don't have a newer copy of PS, can't afford that very expensive lens, had no way of getting myself higher up, I need to use my telephoto zoom lens. Maybe the Nikkor 55-200 will work if I can get far enough away. There was another building right behind me and I was up against its wall so no place to back up. The other side was blocked by trees. Oh well, I will keep trying.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to rockmom

JCI

We are having our small group windup tonight. Looks like hip-waders and canoes are in order... LOL we've had so much rain, I can't imagine trying to sit outside this afternoon/evening. Everything is so wet, and it's cool. Hopefully, they will have it inside.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to KristaDee

ACU
Lori, so glad things worked out for U-man! It seems like it's "political" whether it's sports or music and wherever you happen to be. Brady wasn't allowed to take band during the day because his score on the state test in English was a little low. He had to take "Enrichment" when the Junior High band met during school hours. He was crushed. Scott the band director was upset too because Brady is so musically gifted. He even went to the school board! But, in the end it was a blessing! Brady got to jump all the way to High School Band. Since they practice after school, there was no conflict and Brady actually got more time in with music instructions. He loved that! And he even helped some of the others learn a part!
BBL

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

Camera Info
Device: Nikon D5100
Lens: VR 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G
Focal Length: 18mm
Focus Mode: AF-S
AF-Area Mode: Wide Area
VR: OFF
AF Fine Tune:

Exposure
Aperture: F/10
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
Scene Mode: Landscape
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: Auto (ISO 280)

Image Settings
White Balance: Auto, 0, 0
Color Space: sRGB
High ISO NR: ON (Normal)
Long Exposure NR: OFF
Active D-Lighting: Auto
Image Authentication:
Vignette Control:
Auto Distortion Control: OFF

Here is the info Sherry. I have no idea what or where "Auto Distortion Control" is on this camera. I will have to research that and see if this camera has it or if this is only part of the View N/X2 program designed to detect those cameras or lenses that have it.

The day was very overcast and glaringly "white."

Just FYI it has been my practice lately to take both an auto setting photo and an Aperture Priority setting photo then compare these photos at home to get a feel for what settings are needed. I am actively trying to learn!

I was lucky when I wanted to learn geology 14 or 15 years ago I found a community of online geologists that loved to share and took me under their wings and taught me everything I know about it. That broad group morphed into a great friendship (I have met several of them in person- even one from Japan) and became very focused with one in particular taking a keen interest in teaching me. He gave me assignments and made me think. This was all online and our sessions drew watchers from around the world. That mentor was taken ill suddenly and died in a matter of weeks from cancer. I think ours was a symbiotic relationship as he was a retired geologist due to crippling arthritis. My interest gave him focus and something to look forward to each day. He taught me technical matters, terminology, and technique. It was essentially a college degree in geology with a focus on mineralogy. After he died I joined a local group. There was a wonderful man in this group that also became my mentor. He was well known world wide and had made discoveries that were named after him and had published 100s of articles and was working for one of the most prestigious mineral journals. He had a big interest in micro minerals (those that are viewed by a microscope) My first mentor had given me his old scope when he bought a new one so I was just beginning to do this type of study when he was taken ill. My new mentor started giving me small micro specimens from around the world and the US, enough to trade, and teaching me about them and how to identify minerals under the scope. From there he went on to teach me to research and write. My first mentor was also an author and an editor. Between these two guys and the broad group I absolutely learned mineralogy. I went on to write articles and become published and win several awards. He died suddenly from a rare cancer and this took the wind out of my sails. I still collect but the zeal has gone because I lost both these dear friends. The second one and I were very, very close. He was like an extra dad. We did lots of things together. We went to mineral shows together, we looked at minerals together, went out to eat together. I helped him with his disabled wife. We even researched a mineral locality here in TX together and published articles about it.

You are thinking why is she telling me this, right? Well let me just say I am serious about learning this topic and this is how I roll. I immerse myself, totally and completely. Unfortunately I have no mentors. I need a mentor! lol I am a hands-on, visual learner for the most part but hearing and reading is also useful to me. I think that is why I watch YouTube videos on it. I know none of you have signed up to be my mentor and are all busy ladies. I will try not to pester you. I also may be enthusiastic...

Its getting to be the hot season here and with DH and my health issues getting out in the heat for long periods without AC is impossible, especially for him. That means drive to a location, I get out and get my camera ready, DH sets up the tripod and gets back in the car. I take 20 or 30 minutes and take several photos from different angles and settings and get back in the car. We only have the one vehicle now and DH uses it during the week when he needs to go to a customer's to check on his loads etc. so I usually do not have a way to go out during the week.

Sorry about that novel. So anyone else have the zest to learn? Or are you all too busy or already satisfied with your understanding?

I hope this is not too much info, I am kinda a shy, reserved person but honestly interested so willing to share honestly. Please comment on my photos with any and all tips, technical issues, and composition critiques. If you see that my photos are outta focus, seem blown out or dark, need straightened, too flat, uninteresting I really want to know and I can take it. If it makes you feel better please add "Critique:" and then your observations. Platitudes are nice but won't help me learn.

I really hesitated on hitting the post button, don't wanna push any of you away.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to rockmom

That is nice for Brady Carolyn. A blessing in disguise!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-01-13 01:29 PM

Hi Lori! Remember me? I'd love to start playing with this group again.

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to KimKV

JCI

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

JCI
Hi Kim! I remember you, I think! Are you the Kim who lives in Alaska? Either way, welcome back!
Ok Ladies! I have a question! For those of you who follow Pinterest, help! Is there any way to block pins that are down right vulgar? I enjoy going on there and browsing for recipes or crafts, etc. but lately, all I get are very obscene pins. One just now was of a lady laying on her back with just a bikini top and what looked like M&M's covering her private area. The caption read something about "eat my candy". I mean seriously, what happened to the recipes and crafts? Disgusting!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to 2xblessed

Hey all you lovely ladies!

I can't believe I haven't checked in today!

U and I spent most of the day with my oldest. Was a good time and she bought lunch! We tried a hole in the wall pizza place....so good!

Kim....Welcome back. It has been too long!

Denise...thanks for helping Tammy out.

Carolyn....I don't think you can block the pins, just report them. My mom has stumbled across a few WOW ones. Unbelievable what some will post!

Thank you all for the comments on U. As we suspected the coach is getting some flack about it, nothing he wasn't prepared for...his shoulders are broad.

Sandra...I use a Canon 7D...love it!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Evening.

nanasan
Mayor
nanasan

Thanks Lori for the camera info! DH & I are going to do our homework on this purchase. I am excited!

Here's a mini from my walk today...before the rain!
TFL!

June Photo Fun - Mini #7 Just a pretty weed By Nanasan

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to nanasan

I use a Nikon D5100 a mid range DSLR.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to rockmom

Thinking about turning in for the night.

Have a great evening!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Hi ladies!

Just got back from the auction house and can't seem to sleep. Bought very little so we stayed well within our budget tonight.

Lori, glad everything is working out for the U Man! I wish him the best of luck with this new team! I know he will have lots of shining moments!

Hello to everyone else here!

Edited by Anna C on 06-01-13 08:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to Anna C

Good evening, almost good morning! LOL

I think I"m off to bed. Will check on Crispin, and then head to bed. We were at our small group wind up, and some of the other kids there, thought it would be fun to throw smoldering sticks into the tree house where he and another child were playing. He was coughing a lot when he came to tell us what was going on. Plus it looks like they managed to hit him with the sticks too, as he's got two little burn marks on his forehead. (And said that he got hit). Thankfully, no fires were started in the treehouse, and the girl and him are fine. So thankful he didn't get hurt more.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to KristaDee

JCI
Wow, Krista! Sounds like some kids need a good old fashioned spanking! Glad Crispin and the girl are ok. It could have been a really bad ending to all of it. What did the parents of these "hoodlums" say?
Off to bed.
Good Night Ladies!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to 2xblessed

wow Krista, glad they are okay.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to rockmom

That was a pretty mean thing to do, Krista! Glad ds is ok.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Anna C

Krista - what is wrong with those kids - do they not understand the risk of fire. Too many times 'harmless pranks' turn into serious problems.

I am glad Crispin and his friend are okay.

Lori - we can cry in our cups together - the Pens is who I will now be rooting for.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Morning!

Tammy...yep!

Krista....scary! Especially when it involves your kid! Glad he's fine. Was it a bully thing or just a stupid kid thing? Were they the same age or were the "stick throwers" older and trying to show off?

Anna....sounds like my day thrifting yesterday. The last store I found 1 book (for DD's class) and a pair of ice skates. The skates are the size a 5-7 year old would wear. Got them for making a winter decoration.

Shower time for me. BBL!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Good Morning!
JCI
Need to look over my SS lesson again. We are studying Adam and Eve this morning. Good stuff. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the Men's class.
Lori and any other lady who haunts goodreads, any wins lately? Not me in 2 or 3 months at least.
BBL

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to 2xblessed

Looks like Crispin is just fine. Near as I can tell the kids were a year older than Crispin. And one was the brother to the girl Crispin was playing with. I didn't wait around to see what happened with the other kids. Was more concerned about getting Crispin's coughing under control, and needing to just go home. I will probably see the other Moms at Church this morning. We will see what happens then.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to KristaDee

Good day all!

Krista, happy to hear Crispin is okay...hope the mom of the other children addresses this...scary!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to Linnny

I talked to one of the moms today, and she had said that they had a good long talk about fire/fire safety and consequences of playing with fire. But the other Mom didn't do more than wave at me.
I think I'm just going to let it slide, I don't like making waves, and I won't force them into a conversation about it, if they don't want to bring it up.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-02-13 10:16 AM
In response to 2xblessed

• 2xblessed Said:
JCI
Hi Kim! I remember you, I think! Are you the Kim who lives in Alaska? Either way, welcome back!
Ok Ladies! I have a question! For those of you who follow Pinterest, help! Is there any way to block pins that are down right vulgar? I enjoy going on there and browsing for recipes or crafts, etc. but lately, all I get are very obscene pins. One just now was of a lady laying on her back with just a bikini top and what looked like M&M's covering her private area. The caption read something about "eat my candy". I mean seriously, what happened to the recipes and crafts? Disgusting!

Hi, no I'm the Kim that lives in New Hampshire. Thanks for the welcome!

I agree with you, I can't stand going on pinterest and seeing all that stuff. If you find a way to block it, please share.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-02-13 10:18 AM
In response to KimKV

Yes it has been a long time Lori. Got a new camera for Christmas, need to learn how to use it, for real! Not just the auto stuff.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to KimKV

ok, Kim. I do remember you!
I haven't found a way to block the pins, but I did learn how to report pins that are inappropriate. And did several this morning, along with one of the "pinners". The one I mentioned earlier was actually Skittles and the caption read "taste the rainbow". Sick! I don't know how much good I did but, at least I tried.
Krista, I am glad that at least one mom took action. Such a dangerous "game" they were playing.
Need to get off and read my lesson for tonight. And take a deep breath and look over next Sunday's morning lesson. I agreed to teach/lead it. Hope it isn't too hard!
BBL

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to 2xblessed

Hey all.

Dropping off a pic in the middle of working a birth announcement for my new niece. I'll share pics of her later.

June Photo Fun #1 By Mrs PaulyD

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

I am dropping one off for today too

2013 June Photo Fun - Dusk - Mini By Ladybing Tammy

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Afternoon!

Kim...what kind of camera did you get?

Carolyn....I meant to tell you I was still a loser too! I did get a note from one author yesterday thanking me for my entry but there was another winner chosen. I could got to some site and download the book for free but had to do other junk to do it. Nope. I'm still entering for things every few days.

My oldest came over and we dyed each others hair today. She went on a short run with Uriah and they played together for an hour or so.

Thinking about running to Joann's and maybe Kohl's. I'm in need of new tennis shoes. I'm not really into all the neon that is out at the moment so I'll probably come home empty handed. It has been a fantastic day. We shut the AC off and opened the windows. Thinking I'll be able to leave them open most of the week, yay!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Hi Kim and welcome!

I'm not into the neon colored sneakers either.

We have had rain all day. And we have slept most of the afternoon as a result.

It has taken me a year to decorate my new kitchen. And I am doing it in a coffee theme. We both drink coffee daily so it fits for us. I don't want the modern day coffee photos and stuff. I am using used, old, and sometimes rusted coffee pots from the auction house. I have six so far of various sizes. They will work for now but I am really on the hunt for some old coffee pots. Just gotta be patient. And the best part is I have spent very little. I can usually find them in a box lot which usually goes for a few dollars. The coffee grinder fits in perfectly and while it is older, I don't think it is an antique. My best coffee possessions are some old Maxwell House coffee cans that I found in my Mom's cellar. I washed them up and used some rust remover on them and they look pretty good. I have my dh's dad's coffee cup he used every day sitting with them too. I am searching for an old creamer and sugar set to put with them. They bad part of collecting this stuff is keeping it all clean and dusted, not my favorite thing to do.

Krista, I read on the internet somewhere that Ball Mason Jars are not popular in Canada. The big thing over there is a jar that's name starts with a B. I cannot find the article now. Can you provide me with a name of jars over there. Dh and I both collect jars so we are interested to know more. Thanks in advance.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Anna C

Anna - the Canadian mason jars could be Bernardin
and I love the sound of your kitchen.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Thanks Tammy! That's the name I was looking for.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Anna C

Hi everyone, Hi and welcome back to Kim.

Met some friends from out of town for lunch and then went to a bridal shower. Found out someone stole DH Debit card info and used $800 from our account. Gotta go get that taken care of in the morning. That's reason I hate CC and debit cards, its too easy to steal. Cold hard cash is harder.

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to rockmom

Hi

Dropping off a couple more pics. My new great-niece. I now have 5 great nephews and 3 great nieces. Makes me sound old! I'm only 42! So I'm still young enough to enjoy the little angels and wise enough to know when to hand them back to mom and dad!

June Photo Fun #2A By Mrs PaulyD

June Photo Fun #2B By Mrs PaulyD

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

Heather she is beautiful!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Evening!

As I suspected I came home empty handed. U however got a new pair. About the only shoes I found that were non neon I almost liked were $119.00. Uh, I'll keep shopping around.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

JCI

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to KristaDee

JCI I was going to answer a question but by the time I looked at all the comments and photos I forgot the question. tomorrow. I need sleep now.

going to the doctor to be checked for Lyme disease tomorrow. Whoopeeee.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to erjaan

Good luck Kate! My mom has had an awful time with ticks this year. She is beside herself...finding them everywhere. She about died the other day, found a tiny one in her ear!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Night girlies!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Hey dearies....spent a good part of the day being a domestic engineer House is sparkly clean...I like starting the week off like that. It is really amazing how dusty this apartment gets in a matter of a few days!!!!!

Kate!!!!! Thinking and praying NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE, NEGATIVE!!!!!!!!!

Oh nuts, who was talking about her kitchen???? Another brain fart, having too many of them lately. But I reeeeeeeeeally love the items you are using, especially dad's cup!!!!! I know...a lot of dusting and cleaning when you collect...but it comes with the territory I guess. I have so many framed photos in the livingroom and entry way....so that was part of the cleaning...

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Linnny

Hello everyone!

Krista I'm glad to hear Crispin is ok. I would have lost my mind. I hope the woman who said "hi" this morning also talked with her child about fire. I would lose my mind if G was involved in something like that on either side.

Kate I hope your test comes back negative yikes!

Anna I can't wait to see the pictures of the new kitchen. I love your theme we are coffee drinkers here and the idea of having cappuccino and latte signs up is really unappealing. I can't wait to see your goodies.

Carolyn, where are you seeing the awful pins? I have never seen a profane pin and I spend more time than I ought to on pinterest. Can you unfollow those pinners? Is it on your homefeed?

Denise, I am very interested in learning my camera better, however, It's not going to happen until I get back from my summer holiday in August. Between the summer reading program and the WMYC benefit dinner I can't practice nearly as much as I would like. I'll be all over it in August with you.

We had a wonderful weekend here. We went to the Pow Wow in the Pines this weekend. It's our local pow wow and it's pretty big. There were dancers from all over the US and Canada. We had tremendously good time. I didn't take any pictures though, although permitted it didn't feel appropriate.

Today we had a great hike and I got all of my tomatoes out of their walls of water.

Good night everyone.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

Three photos from me

June mini Just some pretty weeds By MissaOnTheRun

June Mini Today's Adventure By MissaOnTheRun

June POD 1 Los Burros Rangers Station By MissaOnTheRun

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Ok, sounds like a plan Missa.

Kate, best wishes.

Linda, ugh dust! lol

Edited by rockmom on 06-02-13 08:32 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to rockmom

Good morning

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 06-03-13 04:40 AM

Thanks for the welcomes!

Lori, my camera is just a newer version of the Power Shot I had. Much better zoom, faster, smaller. But this time I want to learn to use the manual stuff, different lighting settings, and the panoramic setting and so on.

Anna, I coffee themed kitchen, that sounds really neat.

Oh man Denise that is terrible about the card. Will you bank cover that for you? Our credit union puts the money back in if it’s fraud.

I have one question. Do we take 10 pictures (life permitting) plus pictures using the list of minis?

I hope to have some fun pictures this week. It’s our 26th anniversary and DH took the week off, we are doing a stay-cation. Whale watching tomorrow, driving up Mt Washington Wednesday… that’s all we got planned so far.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to KristaDee

Good morning!

It's been raining cats and dogs here since last night. dh is grumpy as can be...he has a 10 am dr's apt (endo)....he works in the city and needs to stop work and drive home in this weather that's making the highways bumper to bumper. So he calls and tells me "maybe I shouldn't go"...hmmmmm, he got my panties in a knot! It took we many phone calls to get this appointment as his 3 month blood test showed a 10.3 reading!!!! and internist didn't know what other meds to prescribe. Oy.....if dh would just take care of himself as he does everyone else! And mind you, I got up at 8 am to go with him because I'm so worried.... These eyes don't usually see this time of the morning since these eyes closed around 3 am!!!!!!! Yep, them panties are definitely in a knot!

Whew! Had to get that out....

Have a nice day

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Linnny

Morning!

Kim....mini's are optional. If you'd like to submit a pic for the end of month photo entry just a total of 10 is fine. They can be a combo of the monthly 10 & mini's or however you want, just 10 is needed. That kinda prevents someone jumping in and just submitting 1 fantastic pic that doesn't spend any time here socializing with us photo queens! Your hair is much longer than I remember too! I like it and congrats on the 26 years!!

Denise.....I hope you get the bank issue worked out. Once we used our card around our town and later that day we got a call from the bank asking about it being used in FLA too. Nope, that wasn't us. I have no idea how that happens. We also had it happen locally too. The card # was being used on a couple of other sides of town. New card was issued both times.

Anna....I'm seriously thinking of redoing my kitchen, painting at least. Weeding out all my bee stuff too. DH has suffered with that theme long enough, lol!

Linda....hum....that makes it bad since he has been scheduled for so long. It's not always easy getting back in for a quick appointment! Better make a 2nd pot of coffee today!

Missa...was that your first Pow Wow? I'm guessing not being where you are....sounds fun!

I'll be heading to the Post Office today to get my packages out. Sorry for the delay. With all the hockey drama....well, you know how it is.

Page 1 of 7 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics