Username Post: *** JULY Book of Me Challenge ***        (Topic#1589185)
charcats7
Queen
charcats7

Welcome to the monthly BOM Challenge for July 2013.

This is a monthly challenge to help those who want to make a Book of Me (BOM) or expand their BOM or just get motivated to work on their BOM. I'm making it a monthly challenge as that seems to give us all more urgency to make us work on a project. Couple it with some of the other challenges out there- Page Maps, Monthly Sketch, Monochrome, Sewing... There are so many & you'll at least get one LO done for YOU.

So many times we scrap our family, but not ourselves- as if we are less important. I so wish my mother had put a note or something behind some of those photos of her & now she's gone & I cannot ask. Leave something for the future generations about the magical & wonderful person you are.

Fav of Me: Favorite photo you have of yourself. Why is it your favorite? What were you doing? How old were you? You get the idea

This can be a 1 or 2-page LO. No rules except the topic.

Here’s a 2nd & fun BOM topic- Your first initial- “C is for…” then list adjectives beginning with that letter that describe you.

Most of all, have fun, share as much or as little as you want, give positive feedback & leave love as we all need some of that about our work.

No sign-up necessary- just jump right in

Please let us know the name you like to be called if it isn't in your signature block.

LINKING LAYOUTS TO THE THREAD:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Go to the Share section on the right-hand side and click on ‘Link/Embed Image'.
3. Click on 'IMG code' button.
4. Copy and paste the code which starts [url...] into the forum thread.

ALLOWING PUBLIC EMBEDDING:
1. Go to the layout in your gallery.
2. Click on 'Edit Image' tab at the top on the left side of the layout.
3. Scroll down to the bottom left side.
4. Check the box that says, ‘Allow Public Embedding’.

Your pages:

1) In the Zone for my BOM By Charcats7

2) happy By Marcilb

3) Memories By Arteshamac

4) just me By YourScrapAttack

5)

Edited by charcats7 on 07-28-13 06:51 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to charcats7

here is my favorite pic of me- ran across it recently sorting thru all my photos- opened up the old albums my mom had put together & saw this- so I scanned it, printed it as a 5x7 & here it is-

In the Zone for my BOM By Charcats7

Teresakay
Diva
Teresakay
In response to charcats7

This sounds like fun

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-03-13 04:51 AM
In response to Teresakay

Hi YA!!!!

I got the what I collect from 2 months ago done yesterday! I'll post it here later, just to share.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

sounds awesome Kim - I still haven't gotten that one done

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-03-13 11:58 AM
In response to charcats7

Okay, here is what I collect from May I think.

BOM - Collection By KimKV

I have saved a document on my computer with June's topics and I even have the pictures for favorite time of day.

Now if my DH will get well and GO TO WORK!!!!

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

Kim

Sassy Suzi
Diva
Sassy Suzi
In response to charcats7

I need to quit fooling around and start doing this. So it looks like this a great month to start.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to Sassy Suzi

im in

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-04-13 10:34 AM
In response to Sassy Suzi

• Sassy Suzi Said:
I need to quit fooling around and start doing this. So it looks like this a great month to start.

Okay...do it! You can I know you can. Says the person that is 2 months behind.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

LOL - yup- we always seem to put ourselves behind- this month I jumped in & got mine done- just came to me when going thru old photos- now to play catchup LOL

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to charcats7

here is mine....

happy By Marcilb

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to MarciLB

Good one Marci- my how long your hair was- Could your mom really have said anything? You were 19 after all

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to charcats7

• charcats7 Said:
Good one Marci- my how long your hair was- Could your mom really have said anything? You were 19 after all

She never stopped trying!!! lol....

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to MarciLB

I guess as moms we never do really stop- we just change tactics LOL

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-18-13 04:07 AM
In response to charcats7

Just popping in to HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

the weekend is almost here....

msmama
msmama 
Governor
msmama
In response to charcats7

jci

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-19-13 03:42 AM
In response to msmama

Long weekend for DH. His company does every other Friday off.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

wish we had that schedule- 2 of our Air Wings & the Army Aviation have the sched of every other Monday off- but they won't let HQ do that. There are other states who do the NG that way- but our leadership isn't for that for some reason.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to charcats7

url=http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/ 3990255.html][/url] Memories By Arteshamac

Each month I save this challenge to my favs, Char. I finally got one done this month, so don't give up on me. LOL! I had a story behind my absolute fav photo of myself, but I can't find the photo. Anyway, I like this one, so I did a little journaling about why I like it. TFL:)

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-22-13 03:55 AM
In response to arteshamac

JCI!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to KimKV

I will add more journaling...maybe on the back. I forgot to add my age: I was 38 What was I doing? My daughter took this photo after our trip to the beauty shop. I had just gotten my hair cut into layers.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

Artesha- I'm so glad you haven't given up & neither have I of you

I've been taking a class on Big Picture Classes called Hello Story by Ali Edwards. We're only in week 3 & I have been in awe since the get go. So many different ways to view how we tell our stories in our scrapbooks. So much inspiration and new challenges. I'll be giving everyone a couple really good topics/challenges based on that class for August. So spread the word. It will be a different slant on our BOM- but I'm hoping it will expand how you look at telling your own story. I thought I was doing different things, but in going thru this class found out I was in a box- now the walls are blown off. If you have never looked at taking classes at BPC- I really suggest you consider it- there are several free classes to get you started including one coming up in Sept- the only cost is a cheap 4x6 photo album. I bought mine for $1 at WalMart- check out the link to include an intro video by BPC founder Stacy Julian:
http://www.bigpictureclasses.com/big-idea-festival-201 3...

It's a 10-day idea packed inspirational class. Stacy Julian & several other teachers will be combining efforts to teach this one. I can hardly wait.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to charcats7

Thanks for sharing that info, Char. I will look into signing up. I also plan on going back to the previous BOM topics that you posted and doing them as well. I always tell people that my scrapbooks are "love letters" to my children. Stories of their births, milestones, and achievements, etc. But what good is a love letter if I don't tell MY story to my children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and so on? This was the first layout that I did this month and I was determined to get this one done this month. Thanks for the monthly inspirations.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7

I'm so glad you're inspired

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-24-13 03:49 AM
In response to charcats7

Thought I would share my last month page I finally got done!

Favorite time of day By KimKV

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

YAY Kim!!! You're on a roll

MarciLB
Queen
MarciLB
In response to charcats7

I did their nat sb day challenges but just never got aound to taking any online classes...i know alot of the ladies that do those classes used to be with CK magazine when it was run by lisa B...

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to MarciLB

I had no clue about BPC until CTMH sponsored a Pajama Party- I wasn't real keen about the Pajama Party as it jumped around a lot- but I did win a class & that got me hooked- I'm now taking the Hello Story plus Technique Toolbox for which both I am learning tons & tons. Now to put it all together & get to work

YourScrapAttack
Diva
YourScrapAttack
In response to charcats7

just me By YourScrapAttack

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-28-13 04:38 PM
In response to YourScrapAttack

Good evening ladies.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to charcats7

can you believe Wed is the last day of July? I am going to try & have the Aug challenge posted by then- have to finalize things from all the ideas running around in my head.

You have until midnight to post on this thread. After that- you are more than welcome to share your page on the new thread.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-29-13 03:53 AM
In response to charcats7

Where did July go!!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to KimKV

I personally don't mind the month or the year going by so quickly. My hunny bunny will be back from Afghanistan in Ocober!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-29-13 06:53 AM

• arteshamac Said:
I personally don't mind the month or the year going by so quickly. My hunny bunny will be back from Afghanistan in Ocober!

What branch is he in? My hubby is retired Air Force. Thank you both for serving!

I was at Home Depot one time and used my military discount. I mentioned how when were stationed in Arizona that some places wouldn't give the spouse the military discount. And said I never understand why, the spouses serve too. She says to me...But did you really? Boy did she get an ear full! Heck yes I served, maybe I didn't go to war, but I made darn sure he could do his job and not worry about the home front. And I schooled her on a few other reason a spouse serves our country. The customer behind me just stood there and smiled.

Anyway, what was my question? Oh yea, what branch!

Edited by KimKV on 07-29-13 06:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to KimKV

LOL! It's ok and I totally get your point! We are a proud Army family. As the wife of a soldier, thank YOU for your service as well. He could not accomplish what he had to without you by his side.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7

Kim- I completely understand- I've now transitioned from being a Soldier to being a Soldier's dependent. I really dislike that word in this context because if the family isn't behind the Soldier- then they can't fully do their job. You are so right- the spouse & the family all serve. Holidays & birthdays missed- but you still have them & send photos & have video chats staying strong & letting him know everything is okay at home & taken care of- that he has nothing to worry about so he can focus on his job there & stay safe. I've been the wife at home twice- Desert Shield/Storm & Iraqi Freedom IV. The first one our son was 6 days old when he left. The 2nd our son was 14 & in desperate need of his father- and he was gone 18mo- 6mo at Camp Shelby, MO & then 12mo in Iraq. Both times I had to be strong & take care of everything including what he would have done- as best as I could anyway. And with kids- you pick your battles as you can't fully be mom & dad- did I have an appreciation for single moms during the 2nd deployment!

Artesha- I know you're counting the days- X-ing off that calendar. In September I'm sure you'll get the kids all involved in making a welcome home banner & signs & start counting hours...

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to charcats7

Char, of course, you know that daddy will get the VIP treatment upon his redeployment. I still dislike the word "DEPENDENT." I haven't been dependent since I raised my hand to vow to protect and defend at 18 years of age. LOL! It was definitely a transition from being soldier to a soldier's wife, but he knows that I honestly get it when he starts talking about work. I deployed to Haiti during Operation Upload Democracy and I deployed to Kuwait and pushed out to Iraq(Operation Enduring Freedom) when the war first began there. Now that I'm the spouse who has to keep my husband abreast of the home front issues and the steady stream of care packages, I have a new found respect for the spouses who hold it down here. I am especially blessed because in 2007 my husband suffered a leg injury so severe during a explosive attack in Iraq that doctors didn't think that he would walk again. They took an artery out of his leg and turned it into a vein. Not only does he walk without a limp, but he is a runner. He has gone on to get promoted THREE times since that fatal attack that killed his soldier, who was on his way to warn my husband of the attack. His LT experienced a head trauma so severe that he was touch and go for a long time. He was later discharged from the Army. I am proud to have served and more proud to be my husband's back bone here on the home front.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7

AMEN!

msmama
msmama 
Governor
msmama
In response to charcats7

Hallelujah Kim, I wish I could have been there. People just dont get it. I dont know how many times I've heard from family and friends "I dont know how you do it" But I did, and I have no regrets. He is home after spending 4 years off and on overseas. Some days I wished I could wear a sign that said be nice to me, I havent heard from my husband today, I'm a bit moody.

Artisha, I know that feeling all too well. I had a countdown calendar every time he was due to come home, I often wished time would pass quickly.

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-31-13 04:14 AM
In response to charcats7

Wow Artesha, that's an amazing story about your hubby.

We were stationed at David-Monthan on 9-11, my husband's squadron were among some of the first to go. They kept changing when they were going to leave and had said it would be about a week. My DH had signed up to do a fundraiser thing with the squadron one night, so he left for that, our son spent the night with a friend and I was at home. The very next morning they called and said we're going today. For the next 30 days I had no idea where he was, if he arrived ok, when he would be back or when I would talk to him.

We had our support group and of course us Senior's spouses were asked to help the newbie spouses. Some of those young LT wives were a hand full. Did you not get the memo about what it means to be married to a military person? I should have gotten a medal for not killing a couple of them!!

You know how all planes were grounded after the attack? I don't think there is anything more unsettling then living on an a base with an active flightline and not hearing a single engine. There was always something running, C-130's, A-10's something!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-31-13 04:17 AM
In response to KimKV

Or be nice to me, my husband can drop a bomb on your a$$!!!

There is a country song about some guy gone on a business trip and he calls home from the hotel room and they get all sappy about missing him and being apart...give me a break, oh you're gone for a few days, big whoop.

Okay, I'm a roll this morning!!

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to KimKV

LOL I hear ya Kim. There were many times too I wish I'd had some kind of sign. I got really frustrated with our FRG (Family Readiness Group) & ended up staying away from them all as they concentrated on watching the news every minute it was on & dwelling on every negative what if scenario. Being full time I offered help with TRICARE issues, etc. But they all looked at me like I was nuts. So I decided I didn't need to stick around where I wasn't wanted. During Desert Storm I was glued to CNN & after their false reporting & misleading stories- I found out the truth when my DH got home- I refused to watch the news at all when he deployed in 04-05. People would holler at me- Char come see this on the news. I would remind them I wasn't watching that ********. Besides, being full time meant my DH could call me on the DSN (Military line) and let me know he was okay & things on the news weren't all they appeared. I would set my coworkers straight (again) and go back to work
I guess we need to do some pages scrapping all those stories & challenges.

Working up next months challenge now- hope to have it posted tonight at the latest

charcats7
Queen
charcats7
In response to charcats7

Here is the new thread for August

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15897...

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to charcats7

Saved the August challenge in my favs in hopes of getting it done before the year is out! Thanks for hosting, Char!

charcats7
Queen
charcats7

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to charcats7

I am working on a layout from one of the previous months in hopes of posting sometime in August. Just be patient with me! I am learning to scrap more about ME, so for that...I thank you!

KimKV
KimKV 
Queen
KimKV
  • KimKV on 07-31-13 10:17 AM

• arteshamac Said:
I am working on a layout from one of the previous months in hopes of posting sometime in August. Just be patient with me! I am learning to scrap more about ME, so for that...I thank you!

We are our hardest subjects. Either don't like our pictures or aren't even in them!!

arteshamac
Queen
arteshamac
In response to KimKV

So very true, Kim. But I'm working on it.

charcats7
Queen
charcats7

Exactly why I created this topic - we need to share ourselves or our kids will look back & wonder- who was mom really?

If you've never looked into it- you should consider taking some classes at http://bigpictureclasses.com they focus a lot on putting yourself in your pages as you are telling the stories & putting your feelings in it- there are quite a few free classes too

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics