Username Post: Have you given a second life to something that most people throw away?        (Topic#1589313)
Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

A couple of months ago my bf and I were at Sonics and they gave us our drinks in one of those cardboard boxes with a handle on top. It was in perfect condition. The first thing that came to my mind was: This would make a great caddy to carry my supplies! All I have to do is decorate it and it can sit on a shelf! Of course I kept it! Duh! lol I haven't used it yet, but one of these days.... Is there anything that you have looked and said to yourself: I can't throw this out! It would be great for___fill in the blank. If so, what is it and how would you use it?

mizzblue
Guru
mizzblue
In response to Crafting Marfa

I keep my Birchboxes for future projects-they are great quality and can be used for lots of "Tim Holtz" style projects. I also saved the 4 pack of bottles/and carrier from my Starbucks fraps

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mizzblue

Kotex pantyliner boxes. For a while they came in cute little cubic drawers (pun fully intended!) and I covered them in pretty paper and they live on my desk. One contains buttons, one stamps and stamped images, one sponges for inking and one some tubes of acrylic paint.

I have 2 clear plastic pencil cases. Well I use them as pencil cases. They began life as a display holder for a stuffed toy and a toiletries gift bag.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to RedSquirrel UK

i have dug out the remaining candle in several jars and they are now holding brads. one is holding charms

I have saved those little bags from Godiva chocolate hoping to make a mini album out of them.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to cescrapper

I converted a cookie tin into a pen holder. I'd embed the images, but I'm having trouble copying the link on my iPod... http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/473373/view /3503033/...

Right now I'm hoarding a Crystal Light plastic canister, a tall cylindrical candy box, the little tin from a pack of Altoids Minis, two small jellybean-shaped containers, and a hinged-lid plastic container from some kind of spread.

I've also repurposed the packaging from these little packs of fake vintage bottle caps - I'm using one to categorize my very small assortment of colored photo corners, and right now the other one is holding beer bottle caps (I drink very infrequently, so 6 slots is more than enough), but I think they'd also be great for sorting and transporting brads and eyelets to a crop (or in my case, to my mom's house, the only place I ever scrap with other people).

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to aquabunny

My Copics sit in a holder....out of plastic drink mix containers. Used a roll of blue duct tape to hold it together.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Megan - ForumTech

Some lidded food and snack containers come with a cover that needs to be peeled off after you unscrew the lid. The underside of the cover could be a nice shiny silver. No need to buy silver paper, as it can be used for punching out shapes such stars.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I don't know if you know this tip so I'll tell you anyway. If you take the jar and put it in the fridge for 10 or 15 minutes the wax with contract and it will be a breeze to remove whatever is left. You'll get a clean jar in no time!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I love all of you ideas! We crafters can be very...well...crafty :-D

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-09-13 12:41 PM

Yes!! I save my birchboxes too, business card boxes, checkbook boxes, paper towel tubes, plus any other packaging that looks cool or different. I saved the box my husband's iphone came in, the little godiva bags, and any kind of tin. I get Godiva pearls when I'm at the airport and they come in a tall tin box with a flip top... not sure what I'm going to make with them yet but I have about 6.

I use my tin foil or wax paper boxes to store washi tape (built in cutter is awesome).

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Vae

oh i save the sleeves whenever i get photos printed at the store. They could make good pockets

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I've got a bunch of photo envelopes from Walgreen's right now, and I'm using them to hold photos and planned embellishments for layouts in my current album, since I found that I was finally running low on the small envelopes I've been using and reusing for that purpose for about six years.

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to aquabunny

I used Styrofoam to make a holder for my ATG gun. You can view it here http://krafthead1.blogspot.com/2013/03/soc-dt-projec t-s...

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to HisGEM

I keep my Starbucks Frap bottles. Haven't done anything with them yet, but I WILL!

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
Yes!! I save my birchboxes too, business card boxes, checkbook boxes, paper towel tubes, plus any other packaging that looks cool or different. I saved the box my husband's iphone came in, the little godiva bags, and any kind of tin. I get Godiva pearls when I'm at the airport and they come in a tall tin box with a flip top... not sure what I'm going to make with them yet but I have about 6.

I use my tin foil or wax paper boxes to store washi tape (built in cutter is awesome).

That is such a great idea! I love that.

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to TFCasper

I save all kinds of stuff to re-purpose!
*) onion skin- the dry ones can make such an awesome back ground on a card. I tear it up, glue to the card front then put a stamped design on top of them. Looks pretty Cool! I have uses red and brown shades.
*) We use washed out milk jugs to make scoopers for gravel, sand, compost soil...anything you need a scoop for!
*) I make things out of cardboard boxes all the time. When you need a smaller or larger box that what you have, take one apart and cut to make the one you need! Glue is always needed and packing tape too!
*) Sometimes we cut up a cardboard egg carton and make a cat toy, ok several cat toys! Put 2 of the egg 'cups' together with tape to make a container, then we put catnip or a treat inside and the cats usually destroy it to get the item out but they have a blast working on it!
*) I recycle pages of old calendars into envelopes!

That's all I am thinking of that I have done so far, but I know there is more! So I will come back with more ideas when I remember some

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to catzscrapper

I have saved and re-purposed quite a few things but my favorite right now is foil caps from wine bottles. Some have great designs on them. (Screw caps are worthless to me.) I make radial cuts around the edge so that they can be pressed flat. Then I punch them out w/ a circle punch. They can be used as is or colored w/ pens, although the ink must be heat set. They make nice embellishments on my layouts. It was the popularity of bottle caps that gave me this idea.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Ms. Fit

I saw some really cute projects with bigger sized bottle caps yesterday!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsrogers52513

I save the little sample spoons from Baskin Robbins. They are great for working with glitter.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Henri Jean

Great idea!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Similarly, back when I got married, attached to one of my shower gifts was a little set of novelty metal measuring spoons labeled "Smidgen", "Pinch", and "Dash" - we never used them in the kitchen, so eventually I took them to the craft room, where I use them to dole out embossing powder.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to aquabunny

I just love threads like this with so many great ideas. I clean out and use candle jars for a few different things around the house. Some of them are actually too pretty to throw out. I also saved some Crystal Light containers from the trash a while back. Covered them with pretty paper and ribbon and glued them together for marker/pen storage.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

• Henri Jean Said:
I saw the little sample spoons from Baskin Robbins. They are great for working with glitter.

Aquabunny beat me to it, but I was going to say the same thing. I keep my little spoons in with my embossing powders in shallow food tubs so that I can tip the powder straight over the paper and back into the tub.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl

Those are great ideas. Wow!!! I did dude up some carriers from beer cartons and a wine carton...decorated they hold my glue and pens. I did have to reinforce the bottom but they are pretty. I used Cricut cart Art Nouveau to devorate one. I did take out old candles in the apothcary type jars, but I used the old way and lit them and put them out on my porch. The freeze method is a better and safer idea. Thank you all!

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to southgirl

I use the aluminum flip tops to soda cans for buckles. Stickle them up (silver and gold works best) and they look great with ribbon paper strips or just about anything ran thu them.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Trina_P

The crystal light containers are so cute, love that idea!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Plastic packaging. I have a Artbin for my Spellbinders dies. All of the flat plastic packages are great to use as a palate when you are painting, inking, etc. for your brushes and sponges. Also a place to lay down your glue pin. THEY WASH OFF EASY.

Not only that they have a lip so it can be used as a tray for beads to keep them from rolling away, glitter, etc. Just rinse them in the sink. I love to reuse instead of throwing away await even recycling.

Also the paper labels I punched a hole in and put on a chain so I both have the correct name of the die set and can easily flip through them to help review what I want to use.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CrimsonMama

I use the plastic tab bread closures as small tags to put letters on for title(or small saying). You can run a ribbon or twine through the top hole and connect all your tabs.

I have a flat black plastic tab hook thingy that came off a pack of socks that I used on a page to hold a tag saying - hooked on fishing.

Small eyeglass cases from Dollar Tree holds 4 or 5 pens. I use these to take to crops.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy

I've been saving the formula containers for storage. I have my mini glue gun and glue sticks, stickles, distress stickles, re-inkers, paint daubers, glitters, etc all in their own container. My husband is going to air brush the containers white for me (they're purple and cream colored) later. I also use the glass baby food jars for brads and other small items.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Monique_McCoy

I bought a brand new small cat litter box - probably the size for a kitten. I have an 8' scrap desk and all the loose little things I'm working with go in this tray. Things I'm too lazy to put away at the minute. I even lay my ATG in it. Makes my scrap space look a lot neater when the junk has a tray to put it in.

I can usually find my glue eraser and a couple packages of glue dots and other misc. things in there. My external drive which is normally in the safe is in that tray now because I need to back up my computer.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

That's a great idea!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

How wonderful all of these ideas are. Thanks for sharing

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I was at Walmart & saw an empty cardboard container that held about 12 or 15 single hot chocolate envelopes. The cashier said sure, take it. It now holds smaller packages of colored gems, brads & buttons that I want to keep in their packages. Perfect size! I also saved glass olive & pepper ring jars, (after letting them thoroughly air out) spray painted the lids to coordinate with my room & they now hold an assortment of buttons. I also took a wooden cassette tape holder, turned it upside down & now use it to hold my punches, glue guns, a circle cutter.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

Love that idea! Might have to steal the hot cocoa idea from you! I could cover it in pretty paper and embellish it!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Don't laugh to hard I save my tin foil boxes they are the perfect size to put your washi tape in and then you can just tear what you want off with the tearing edge. I have 2 of them full and waiting for another to get empty.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Sneezy1956

Of course we wouldn't laugh! That's a great idea!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

Im a hoarder to an extent with little things, hoping to eventually one day use them:

WM brand white plastic tea mix containers

The thick wire ties that come with kids toys to hold them to the box, reuse them to hold charms or wrap into funky shapes for a LO

Altoid/Sucrets tins

I collect old thrift store chess and Scrabble games, chess pieces as feet for altered cigar boxes, scrabbl tiles to LO's

Plastic bread tabs, I use them to mark a date if it coordinates, or cover them with pp and make a pennant with them...(also fixes broken flip flops)

buttons, zippers, lace, buckles, pants pockets and embroidered designs from my kids outgrown clothing, and at "fill-a-bag" yard sales. I get the goodies off the clothing, and BF gets rags for the garage!

Plastic onion bags to use as masks for misting or to make fish nets for beach LO's

I swipe a few cardboard coffee mug sleeves every time im in Starbucks or the conveinence store to hopefully make a mini with them

Ribbons, buttons and charms off wedding and shower invites

drawstrings out of soon to be discarded pants if they have cute wording on them

aluminum foil tubes to use as circle makers for backgrounds

old tackle boxes or small compartment boxes for holding brads, buttons, etc....

I repurposed a slide holder into washi tape storage

spice rack to hold jars of flowers

any small wooden crate I can get my hands on to hold various supplie or jars of embellies

And probably a bunch more I cant think of this early!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to ScrappyMama6

Wow, that's a lot of stuff! And some great ideas!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

lol yesterday i was doing some yard work and on the ground was a couple of keys on a ring that were so gross and dirty but i thought hey that would make a great charm one day unfortunatley i threw them and now i can't find them. i was willing to clean them up and use them but I guess i'll have to find them another time

But i have cleaned out candle jars for embellisments

at the moment i'm using candle holders for embellies as well.

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
Im a hoarder to an extent with little things, hoping to eventually one day use them:

mrsrogers, your list reminds me of how scrapbooking started. With tiny saved scraps that could be put together into something beautiful. Love it!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

I did cover mine in a green poka dot paper that wrapped around the box perfectly. Steal away! I love sharing ideas, esp if the items are free!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

OMGosh, REALLY great idea! Love the wrapper tab & sock circle as well! This is awesome!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to flwrgrl

Love all these ideas. I am absolutely addicted to Dickinson's Lemon Curd. The bonus is that it comes in great little square bottles. I clean them and use them to store my silk flowers by color. I now have 40 of them (yikes! That's a lot of lemon curd!) and they fit perfectly in my old hotel key box slots.
Flower Cubby By Dwelch

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to dwelch

cute idea!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
Love all these ideas. I am absolutely addicted to Dickinson's Lemon Curd. The bonus is that it comes in great little square bottles. I clean them and use them to store my silk flowers by color. I now have 40 of them (yikes! That's a lot of lemon curd!) and they fit perfectly in my old hotel key box slots.

Flower Cubby By Dwelch

Oh my don't know what I like the most your jars or the wooden box.

I thought of something else I have a cassettte remember those tape things we used to play? in our players? I have a wooden box and it's the perfect size for my distress inks

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

Great idea!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Glad I was able to help a few with my reynolds foil box idea

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Here is something about foil boxes, plastic wrap boxes, waxed paper boxes - all of those type of boxes and all brands.

There is a little triangle on each end of the box that is perforated. I never paid attention to it.

I just lived with pulling off the aluminum foil of plastic wrap and watching the foil or plastic roll hop out of the box and roll across the counter and onto the floor.

Those little perforated triangles on each end - they have a purpose and a good one. If you push them in the cardboard roller will turn like they are supposed to but they can't jump out of the box. It secures them.

Now when I buy a box of foil, plastic wrap, waxed paper - first thing I do is push in those tabs! Makes it much easier to tear off pieces.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I never knew that either! Thanks for the tip!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics