Username Post: Bits & Pieces        (Topic#1589617)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Does anyone else save smaller bits of paper? I know ALOT of you will say PURGE, but you wouldn't believe the times I need just a little something in a corner or a smaller piece of colored or patterned paper to finish off a LO. I hate to cut into a 12 x 12 sheet for just 1/4 or less of it to be used. I keep triangle pieces in a pretty square box for corners of a picture or page. I keep larger pieces in a horizontal letter holder near my work station, where I can see them 24/7. I just cannot bear to throw them away, as soon as I do, there's a LO in progress that it would've fit perfectly. Every so often, I'll sort thru these & I will purge. Some!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to flwrgrl

I keep it all. I'm a hoarder.

scrapchica
Guru
scrapchica
In response to mrsrogers52513

I keep all my pieces too for those reasons. I have the sterilite drawers that are like 13x14 or something for my scraps. I have 16 drawers so sorted by color. I can pull the drawer out of whichever color(s) go with the LO I'm working on. The little pieces fall to the bottom and I root through the drawer to find the size I need.

nanof8 
Veteran

I am also a bit of a hoarder but neighbor down the road has a 11 year old daughter who has just started scrapbooking so I sort out scraps for her and give her a bag of goodies each school holidays for her to have fun with. I include paper, stickers, I have a cuttlebug so also include some die cut for her

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to nanof8

Awe how sweet! What a nice thing to do! Somehow I ended up with abut a dozen duplicates of really nice pieces. I put some other things with these & gave them to a little neighbor girl.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to flwrgrl

I have a box for my solid colored scraps and a box for my patterns. That's the only sorting I do. When I'm in need of a small piece I go on the hunt for the perfect piece. I have done whole scrapbook pages with just scraps.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to olleharr

I also just sort by pp and solid. If I need something small, I go through there first. I also save them for when my friend comes over to craft. She's still just learning, so she likes to use scraps. And let's be honest - I hoard. I just like to think of other reasons why...lol

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Anything half a sheet or larger gets put back on the racks, but little scraps go in a color-sorted set of Sterlite drawers, and scraps too big for those get jumbled in a single larger drawer. I used to have all my scraps in one large drawer, but it got untenable; for a while I had them in an album in page protectors by color, but I like my sorted drawers much better.

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to flwrgrl

I keep all my scraps. I separate them in size. I have a large tote full of small to tiny scraps and I have a good size container full of small to medium scraps and a paper keeper with large scraps in it.

I am hoarding all my scraps to some day make hand made paper...

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dorichatelain

Yes, nothing gets wasted.

I have an accordion file for scraps, sorted by colour. Inside each is a 6x6 page protector (you could use a ziplock bag or some product packaging) for the tiny bits that would otherwise get lost in the bottom of the file.

I'm a card-maker as well as a scrapbooker so every last piece gets used. I punch flowers and leaves out of the tiny bits until nothing is left but paper lace. That gets recycled.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I use mine on my cards too. For borders and stuff. And I'm just a hoarder

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I cant stand too many scraps, but i don't want to waste. I will punch out 20 squares from the scraps and design a page with them. It looks cool; i use the circle punch too. When i get a chance, ill post an example.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to bonprof

That'd be great. I'd LOVE to see what you're talking about! Let me know when you do:)

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to flwrgrl

Do you make cards as well as layouts? If so, that helps with getting rid of those little scraps - as soon as I finish a layout, while I still have all the matching scraps, embellies, etc. out, I make up a card. I don't have to search for anything matching, because it's already there, and I get rid of a lot of those little left-over pieces. (And yes, I keep the ones I don't use right away!)

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to flwrgrl

Go to my Gallery and look at the two green layouts with all the squares. I'm sorry they are lopsided, but I think you will see that this is a pretty cool way to use up scraps. Thanks for being interested.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to bonprof

I keep scraps that are big, not something like a 2 x 2 piece, for instance. But I also make sure that I only keep paper that I really, really, REALLY love. Its too easy to hoard "just in case". That's how I ended up with a bunch of shelves in a closet going down in the middle of the night.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Crafting Marfa

It just came to me that I can use a lot (if not all) of my scraps and left over embellies for my new smash book! I think this may be a great way to recycle it all. I will let you know.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

I was also going to suggest to make a card with your scraps when you still have the stuff out. It's a great way to use up the scraps and to also build your card inventory. That way when you need a quick card, you don't have to make it...just go through your box of cards and done!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Awesome idea!!

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to bonprof

I keep it all. You never know when you are going to need a little color to add to a layout or a card. I also wind up die cutting a banner or a small star from a small scrap too.

jad49
jad49 
Veteran
jad49
  • jad49 on 08-08-13 05:33 PM
In response to flwrgrl

I also keep my scraps and sort according to plain and patterned paper...I still have a large collection of punches that I can't seem to get rid of (have a cricut) so with the smaller pieces I use various punches and punch out different shapes. I then sort them into small plastic baggies that I purchase at the Dollar store and label them. My six year old grand daughter loves to do crafts and scrapbook with grandma and loves to get baggies of these shapes.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jad49

This is s really great idea!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

Cute idea!

Chandlercr
New Kid On the Block
Chandlercr
In response to Just Nora

Hi, I keep all my little bits and pieces, my grandkids LOVE to get into my stuff, so I let them use all the bits and pieces and they love to put them through my Cuttlebug or use my punches, and make a huge creative mess then I don't feel bad throwing the pieces away after they have used them, (but not until they go home)

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Chandlercr

Wonderful idea. I should do the same thing for when my nieces come over. My scrap area has a lot of pink and purple so they are drawn to it and like to open drawers and take stuff out. I should just start a little bin of scraps of paper and ribbon and stuff like that for them to play in.

New Kid On the Block
In response to flwrgrl

I keep it all. I am not that organized yet so they all get put into a gallon size ziplock storage bag.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

That's a really good idea Mrs Rogers!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to flwrgrl

Like Ollehar, I sometimes scrap whole pages with just scraps!! I keep anything I can put in my punches or Cuttlebug, no second guessing! Last week I did a double page LO about a Partylite party I had... The candles were random strips of papers, some 1/4" x 2 1/2", and another strip of orange became the flames by using a small Easter egg shaped punch! Brilliant n colorful n no 12 x 12 paper wasted!

My feeling is keep n use the scraps, no matter the size. After all, the name of the game is SCRAPbooking!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to Juansmom

Neat idea!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to Just Nora

I keep all of my paper also. I store them in several different areas. I mostly store by size that way if I just need a small piece I look though those first. It doesn't matter about color bc sometimes you might find another color that might work better. I sort my small ones in drawer dividers from big lots

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to Just Nora

After I create a page, I cut down any remaining scraps to 4x6 and 3x4 plus I save the smaller strips etc... and then I store those away for a future project life books (saves buying the kits!).

I am also a card maker so sometimes I will use them to make cards too.

No scraps go to waste here!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics