Page 1 of 8 
Username Post: August Photo Fun        (Topic#1589721)
desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

WELCOME TO AUGUST 2013 PHOTO FUN

Through this group I've made some wonderful friends and enjoy meeting new friends in our group each and every month. If you are joining for the first time this month, you're in for a treat - what a FABULOUS group of caring/sharing women. Welcome everyone!

Lots of us have cameras we use now and again for a snapshot or two. Some of us have new cameras itching to be put to use and get more familiar with. Sound like FUN?! It IS!!!! Get your camera out and USE it. Just take pictures, share pictures, and stretch your camera use beyond where it is today. We all love photos -and photos are the heart and soul of our scrapbooks. Let's take GREAT photos - Experiment. Try different lighting, try "on location" shoots -even if that means taking an orange outside and taking it's photo on the lawn.

RULES:

1- Take 10 photo's throughout the month. These can be of what ever you choose. You may post them at any time (just try not to post all at once). Please link them to your gallery for easy access for comments.

2 - NO STRESS - if you aren't having fun it's not worth doing

3 - Comments - We all LOVE comments on our photos so please make an effort to visit/comment as possible, but ---
SEE RULE 1 - NO STRESS. If you don't have time to comment on photos (or can only comment on some) that's FINE!

4 - MISSING PHOTOS - SO WHAT? See rule 1 - NO STRESS. Life gets in the way - it happens to all of us. Post your photos when you can - See RULE 1 - NO STRESS

Just join in and SHARE!!!

How to upload a photo
1.Go to your gallery. Top right you will see Add Projects.
2. Choose File and Upload. If you upload more than 1 file you can categorize them in "Same" or "Seperate" Projects.
3. Select Image Type.
4. Add Title and Description to your photo. You have the option to categorize also. If you keep your photos somewhere specific be sure to add them to the appropriate album. Make sure to "SAVE" your changes if you add them to an album. The SAVE button is at the bottom of the pop up box, you'll probably have to scroll down to see it.
5. If you choose to submit an image for our end of month contest, please be sure to mark the "ALLOW EMBEDDING"
6. Click Submit. Your photo will now be in your gallery.

How to add a clickable image to your post.
1. Pull up the image you wish to share in your gallery.
2. To the right of your photo and around the bottom part of your image you will see SHARE. Click the Link & Embed Image.
3. When the box comes up mark the IMG Code. Here you can also choose the size of the image you want to add to the thread. Click on the code box..it will turn purple. Right click on it to copy.
4. Next, go to the thread where you want to post your image. Click in the text space and paste your code with a right click of your mouse.
5. TaDa!!! You did it!

End Of Month Photo Contest

We will be having an end of month photo contest each month. You may submit 1 photo YOU have personally taken. PM me with it by the date requested to be entered in our POLL. Oh, make sure you have the "Allow Public Embedding" checked so I may post it in the poll. We will have one winner per month unless there is a tie. If you are the monthly winner PM me your address. I will be looting my personal scrapbook stash to share with you to help keep my cost down. You might find an extra surprise in there too! Just so it's fair to all our players...please make sure if you submit a photo for the contest you have completed all 10 photo's for the month and YOU have personally taken them during the current month. The mini challenge photo's are not required, simply for fun. You can however, submit one of your challenge photo's (mini's) to the contest.

**End of Month photo contest entry deadline: August 29th by 6pm EST (I will post poll the evening of the 29th)

GO & HAVE FUN!!

Challenges you want, challenges you get-these are just for fun - no obligation! Use these 10 prompts to inspire your photos in any way you see fit. There are no right or wrong ideas.

AUGUST Minis:

1 - Itty Bitty
2 - Pattern
3 -Under Construction
4 - Fabulous Find
5 - Motion
6 - Under There
7 - How Many
8 - Favorite Food
9 - Candid
10 - A Part Of Me

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to desilu3131

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859

I'm in again!

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz
In response to Heather4859

Hi Everyone...I'd like to play this month...hopefully, I won't get side-tracked.

Great minis Lori...thank you for hosting.

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to krazy4kardz

I didn't nearly get the 10 minis or 10 PODs done last month but I definitely would like in again. This is such a fun group!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to klweist

Hello, can't wait to see what this month's photos bring.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to rockmom

I'm in. Well, maybe....

I'm leaving on the 1st for my parents place, will be there till the 18th, and then to a friends to help them move. Will be back home on the 25th. Yeah - pretty much gone the entire month.

I think I will say I'm in, but try to just stay caught up with chat and maybe a photo or two. I know we are going to be busy at my parents. The first weekend we are their is the rodeo, and the next weekend is the 60th birthday celebration my sisters and I are planning, and some where in there, I think my Mom has another building project to do. I will be taking lots of pictures, may not have time to post them.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to KristaDee

Glad to see you all back.

Krista....yikes! That is super busy! I'll be a fun time though!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

I'm in!!! Cool minis!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to Linnny

I wanna play again this month!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Anna C

Morning!

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100

I would love to play.

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee
In response to lgtaylor100

JCI

nanasan
Mayor
nanasan
In response to KristaDee

I am in again! Mini's will b interesting.:)

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to nanasan

Welcome to the group lgtaylor100!

julie101
Diva
julie101

I would like to give it ago need to work on taking photos

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to julie101

Welcome Julie

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Night all!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

jci

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Anna C

Morning!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

Good morning. Looks like it will be another beautiful day out. Hopefully, I can get my work done, packing done, Crispin's new glasses come, and the yard can get mowed. We are leaving tomorrow afternoon, and I want it all done today.

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to KristaDee

Rain! Rain! Go Away! Come back another day!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Anna C

Congrats Krista! Yours was the favorite photo for July!

How long will you be gone again? I know it takes a while for packages to get to you. I can wait for a bit or send it on, let me know.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

JFF

August By Desilu3131

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

I won?!

Lori - I will be home on the 25th of August. But DH will be home on the 11th, so if it shows up while I'm gone, that's ok.

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to KristaDee

I will try harder nest month but looking at the calendar I am going to be gone even MORE. Calgon take me away (to AZ)

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to erjaan

Right on Krista! Seems like it takes a couple weeks anyway anytime I send to Canada.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Night all!

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

JCI

I think I just have DH's clothes to pack. And food stuff for the car.

I decided that in the morning I won't be busy enough, so I invited my girl friends and kids over for coffee. So 3 Ladies, and possibly 8 more kids. One of them has 5, but I think her girls are with their Dad on the road - he's a trucker and will take the kids, a few at a time with him.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to KristaDee

Here I am! Appointment for checkup with Jack in the morning! I am going to try to convince me to try Garlic Tablets to reduce my potassium and get off of that foul tasting liquid I have to take for it now. Say a little prayer he will go for it!
Good Night Ladies!

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to 2xblessed

Krista, sounds like you'll have a chaotic (in a good way) morning. We went to Florida in June and left after DH got home from work. It was rush, rush, rush, get in the car, drive. Hope you have a super fun time.

Lori, I love the minis. Just wondering, is #3 (under construction) inspired by the road work by your house? LOL

Determined to get DD to clean her room (or at least get her to clothes organized. I'm going to straighten up the house and, hopefully, mop the kitchen floor. DD #2 is coming home from college for a dentist appt. and will be here for dinner. Going to make meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Then, I want to dig into my scraproom (I call it the Nook).

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to klweist

Morning!

Kelly.....how'd you guess? I'm so sick of all the dust flying everywhere. Don't know how the workers can breath it day after day. My white van is oh so pretty too!

Carolyn.....good luck at Jack's today!

Krista.....you are one mad woman, lol! Have a fun morning!

I'll be in and out of the house today. My DSD wants me to make babies 1st birthday tutu. Am I excited? No. I'm going to do it though. She originally asked me to make the whole birthday outfit, shirt and all the accessories. I steered her to etsy as there are so many cute items there. Plus, I have no idea how to do embroidery and didn't want to hand do the shirt in any way. I told her to pick the outfit and I'd buy it. She ended up finding many she liked but one onesie in particular. I'm getting off cheaper now so that's a good thing, just finding the time to do it now. I saw where HL had all their tule 1/2 off this week. She wants a really colorful tutu so I'll be picking up some bright colors.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny

Good morning!

Krista, hahaha.....have a wonderful morning!

Gonna be raining here today....i feel it!!!!!

bbl

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Linnny

JCI
Good Morning! Wish I could have some OJ this morning. Have to FAST though. Fun? Not!!!
BBL

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to 2xblessed

JCI.

Heading out to run my errands before time to pick Uriah up.

I didn't place in the fair....bummer. It will still be fun to see my stuff hanging with the others though.

Have a great afternoon!

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C

Hi ladies!

Caroyln, good luck with you visit with Jack. Hope he goes along with you plan. I had to fast for blood work last week. Still waiting on all of the results to get in. I'm hoping I don't have a thyroid issue.

Lori, sorry you didn't place. Bummer!

Have fun Krista and congrats on the win!

Hello to the rest of the gang!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Congrats Krista. Yours is a well deserving photo!

Sorry Lori, just hang in there and try again next summer. You should be proud of your work it is wonderful.

Made an emergency trip to the dentist with an infection that showed up outta the blue. Seems I have two cracked teeth that can't be saved. I try to take care of the teeth because I have anxiety badly. Vicodin and antibiotic ate helping but the vicodin makes me sleepy. Can't afford the $10,000 for implants so I guess I will just have to have them removed. sigh... Not happy about this at all.

Re homeschooling on last month's thread. Our oldest DD went to public school but the twins were homeschooled by me. It afforded us many opportunities to learn so much more. We went to McDonald Observatory in West TX to view the sun via telescope and talked to the scientists for over an hour one on one in 5th grade. Invaluable experience. We visited many sites in TX when we studied TX history in 7th grade. We usually finished school year in March because it was one on one time or two on one time learning. The kids got to do gymnastics and tae kwon do during the daytime. DD was dyslexic and it took lots of time to retrain her brain to see what she was seeing in the right way. If she messed up I circled the words or numbers and made her retry. If she got it right then I counted it as correct. If not them it was wrong. This technique allowed her not become frustrated. They both got to start coaching by age 14 and further their careers at a young age. They started college in high school. DD graduated suma cum laude with a 4.0 despite her dyslexia. As far as socialization I can tell you my kids are fully functioning citizens and have been grounded in my ethics and ideals rather than some school system's or teachers (there are many great teachers but just as many not so great teachers, and I am not knocking them as a group, just the ones that threw scissors at the class as my oldest DD had done, or played favorites, or were unwilling to work with parents, etc.)

Now to tell you why I homeschooled them. I was against it but DH kept showing reports after report of grades comparing the two groups on standardized tests. The homeschoolers consistently scored higher. Then there was the issue of DD's dyslexia, I can tell you she would never have achieved what she did if she had been lost in a myriad of others in public school. Also the things happening in the public schools were so terrible. Kids being pushed down the stairs, broken legs and arms, lockers being busted in, a racial murder, police in the building, inconsistency in grading and fairness, scissors being thrown by an out of control teacher, etc. I was plain tired of the stuff going on. Folders in a certain color of yellow, with brads and pockets, having to drive to the city to find one. Being given one day to have it.

Okay that is my two cents worth having seen it from both sides of the coin. Yes, there are people that have no business homeschooling but there are teachers that have no business being a teacher either.

Heather4859
Governor
Heather4859
In response to rockmom

Hey Ho! Just checking in. Taking a break from packing to say "hi".. Going up north for a few days.

Lori, keep trying at the fair. We've seen your awesome photo's.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to Heather4859

Ho everyone!

Congrats Krista and have a great trip!

G and I have made it to Pueblo Colorado. We have had a blast so far. She is traveling so well. We have covered about 1200 miles and have 2 more days on the road. Tonight we are staying at a KOA and G is having a blast.

I'll be back in a few days! Take care everyone!

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to MissaOnTheRun

Aww Missa, that is great that y'all are having so much fun. I love to travel the USA, I am envious. You must have some wonderful pics, can't wait to see 'em.

Krista, have a good time "up north!"

Carolyn good luck with Jack, hope it works out the way you want.

DH had to go to the VA for lots of tests today. He said they put him thru the wringer. Poor guy.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to rockmom

JCI.

Denise I have 3 teeth that were cognitively missing (thanks dad). One is on the bottom side and the other two are the ones on either side of my front top teeth. I would SO love to have implants and am a good candidate. No dental insurance...no implants. I have had bridges always but they kept falling off. Now I have one that is ready to come off again. The other one (that would never stay put) the dentist ground down the next tooth and put a cap thingy on it. I don't like it one bit.

Homeschool...I believe if you put forth the effort you get the results you want. Like what you described....if you're not dedicated to it, it wont work well. I think in this day and age, it's too easy to let someone raise your kid for you. As parents we are lax in a way. TV for a babysitter, etc. The one parent I know really does want to teach her kids. My SIL & uncle...not so much. SIL was taking her kids to someone elses house to be schooled. That person had no business doing it in my opinion. What do I know though! I just believe you can't leave your kids home alone to school themselves and expect them to do it. They need supervision. As far as the public school goes....it just ain't like it used to be. I don't believe the kids learn what they should be. That is sort of why I even brought up the online public school to my family (dad & DD). It does sound good and I believe that would be a good alternative to homeschooling. I like the fact that they have accountability with a real teacher and not just me.

Ran to Home Depot with DH. Holy Cow...he bought $600 in new tools. He had to though so he could travel with his own while other employes continue to work here.

I got a new knitting bag. Found me a Big Ole beach bag, on clearance. I wasn't such a big spender. Mine was $5 so I got 2, lol! I think I'm going to put one back for Christmas for DH's DD. THey are zebra print on the outside and polka dot on the inside. Not my first choice in print but hey, the price was right!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Missa...when I saw KOA I was like "camping & tent= no computer" You must be using your phone. But then again, I don't get out much so who knows. KOA might be a nice comfy hotel room these days, lol! Or I guess you could be using a tablet.

Denise....DH's day did not sound fun!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

If you know me you know that I do not watch much TV. I am however currently watching an amc series that has completely hooked me. I've watched 8 episodes in 3 days. Anyone seen The Killing? I'm really not into the crime drama but I'm really liking this so far.

Tomorrow I'll be spending some time with my mom at our 1/2 way point (at my sisters house). Haircuts for all of us tomorrow night.

Bedtime for me!

Have a great evening all!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

JCI
Appointment with Jack went ok. He said I would have to take/eat massive amounts of garlic to lower my potassium. So, I am stuck taking the foul tasting mess. I told him that he is smart and get busy making a less disgusting med of lowering it. He did put a shot of cortisone in my finger for me and said I probably tore something in it for it to still be hurting. Have to share! He went and filled the syringe and came back and sat down. He takes my hand and turns it over palm down and starts prepping the finger to shoot it. only thing was it was the wrong finger! I laughed and said how about we do the right finger?! Gotta love him! He really is a great doctor and just showed he is human!
I spent most of this a'noon and evening working on my "commissioned" chalkboard. It is so cute and I haven't finished it yet.
Well, I am beat! So, good night ladies!

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to 2xblessed

I'm not even sure how to keep up with all this great chatter and if I don't comment on something, I don't want anyone to feel like I don't care. Maybe I should keep a notepad so that, when I am on here, I can jot notes.

First of all, a shot in the finger sounds awful!

About homeschooling, I don't have a really strong opinion. Except, I don't think it would work for us because I am ADD. I have enough problems keeping myself focused each day that I don't know how that would even begin to work for keeping DD on task. Also, she has a learning disability in reading and our school has a great Sp. Ed. dept. They work with me so well in emails, notes, and one on one conversations. They have the tips, tricks, and tools to help her that I don't. BUT, that being said, if I ever felt that her safety was at risk, I would have to re-think it.

Missa - keep having a fun time. Camping sounds like fun. DH jokes that we really don't need to camp because we already live in the woods.

I'll try to keep up from here (but no guarantees). Just know that I am reading your posts and really enjoy peeking into your lives.

Oh, and Lori, I have to admit that I am just a little jealous that U is back in school. It's that time of year when summer vacation gets tedious (I'm bored, There's nothing to do, Play with me). We do have DD's birthday party on Tuesday so that will help. DS starts conditioning for football next week and then football camp the following. I am getting excited for football season. This is his senior year.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to klweist

Good Morning! JCI before crawling back in bed for a few more zzzzzzzzz's!
Kelly, the shot in the finger was really not that bad. He put it on the top of the finger on each side, right where it connects to the hand. He said the top has less nerves than the palm and wouldn't hurt as much. Said it would be sore for a bit and he was right about that. But, in the end it will hopefully not hurt like it has been.
BBL

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to klweist

Morning!

Denise....I didn't realize you had another other than the DD. This will be a great year for DS. My nephew played foos-ball (Mama Boucher) all through school. His Senior year was the best. I've had so many people ask me why Uriah doesn't play. He would hate it although I think he would try it. He's told me he couldn't take the practice in the heat. I am not fond of sitting in the elements watching either, lol! I don't get rained on, snowed on, or sweat my booty off in the rink.

One thing I can say about our township school system....our special needs area is really good.I know several family's that have children in the program and love it. Uriah does not have a learning disability but does get special tutoring all year. I'm kinda anxious to see what happens with that this year and if they will continue it.

Waiting on time to me my mom. Got a few things I should be doing around here....better get at it!

Have a great afternoon & I'll BBL!

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan

GOOD MORNING LADIES! Off to a tiny town called Braham for Pie Day. Amazing what little towns do to stay alive, I mean who doesn't love pie???

Yesterday was the fair (just county) and the judge scolded me for not entering. OK OK, next year for sure.

Off to post a photo from the fair.

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100
In response to erjaan

Good morning everyone. Just want to introduce myself. I am a retired professional counselor, married, with three grown daughters and five grandsons ranging in age from 2 to 16. My youngest daughter is giving birth to a girl this month so it will be my first granddaughter,

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I have a good prognosis, but scrapbooking in general and this site keep me sane.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's photos.
Lynne.

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan

WELCOME LYNNE!! 3 daughters and 5 grandsons, how cool is that!! Glad you are here to have fun with us. We are a mixed bag of ages and locations but we blend well and chat and share a lot.

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to erjaan

mini #5 Motion By Erjaan

A perfect day at the fair

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to erjaan

That's a LOT of fish By Erjaan
pull this up larger to see DH and DS!

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun

Lynne, Welcome! I am glad to hear that you have a good prognosis, both my aunt and my grandmother are breast cancer survivors and I wish the best for you. Congrats too on your soon to arrive grand daughter.

Anna, I can't believe you have rain. It seems like it's been following me and G across the country.

Denise, how's DH doing? Was it a regular run of tests?

Kate I'm kinda jealous G and I did not run into a pie day as we crossed the country.

Linny how ya doin'?

Lori the KOA's are nice for us because they have tiny little cabins that are cheap to rent, playgrounds, pools and these giant jumping pillow things, not to mention free Wi-Fi.
I watched the first season of THe Killing with DH let me know what you think of the end of season one. Oh it's just amazing!

Cheers and it's off to a raptor rehabilitation center for us this morning. I have found a ton of great stuff in this region, but we are still heading home. We'll have to make a week long trip of this part of the country in Autumn.

Cheers everyone!

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan

Mini #10 A part of me By Erjaan

klweist
Diva
klweist
In response to erjaan

Lynne, I was so excited to read your post, except for the cancer part, of course. It's good to hear that you have a good prognosis. And, you seem to have a positive attitude. The reason I was excited was because I just received my Master's in Human Services in January. I have enough credits for LPC minus the internship. Long story short, we live in a rural area and I was unable to find a company or counselor that could or would give me an internship. I tried in 3 counties and multiple settings. So, I had to change my degree, which I believe was a God thing. I am going on a job search this month, hoping to start when the kids go back to school. I am going to try to start as a TSS. This, I hope will be a stepping stone into Marriage & Family work or some kind of addictions.

Well, I guess that really wasn't long story short.

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to klweist

Good morning!!!!!

Lynne welcome! Happy to hear you have a good prognosis....sending positive vibes and prayer your way!!!! And how cool to know a lil girl is being added to all those grandsons!!!!!

Kate, I love the use of the jeans as flower pot holders.....so darn cute!

Lori, I read your post about the pics....those judges need glasses!

OK....need to get some pics loaded.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to Linnny

JCI.

Lynne....So excited to have you with us! I love your attitude and wish you all the best! Thanks for letting us know a bit about yourself. Us "oldies" here know each other very well. We are a great group and help each other along the way. I'm thinking you might be a little excited to have a baby girl come along. Will you know what to do after all those boys?

Kelly...learned a little about you today too. Can you help me with my yarn addiction? It might not really be "my" addiction. My mom seems to have a problem and is dragging me down with her!

Kate....the ippg took over our fair judging this year. I think they will do it from now on. They had originally said there were 759 photos submitted. I went to their official site today and they shared there were almost 900 entries. That's a lot of competition! Our State Fair opened today. I think we will be going out on Tuesday (after I weigh in, lol).

I got a really cool bad today. One of my moms friends sent her and I one. Well, to start off, I had my NEW bag I bought yesterday with me to show her. Then she pulled out my NEW bag from her friend, lol! It had my name embroidered in it. It's a thirty one bag. I've heard of the company but never seen any of their products. I'm keeping my clearance bag for carrying along with me in the car. The one I got today is way to big to use on the move but it will sure hold some yarn. I have it crammed to the max, lol!

I really need to start on DGD's tutu and I don't wanna! I'm going to and keep telling myself to just do it and get it done. Problem is my house is so small it's really a chore to try to craft in. The cute little thrift dress I found....a neighbor lady is going to help me trim the tule with ribbon. That is a relief. She is in her mid 70's and well, seasoned in that kind of stuff.

Almost time to get Uman. I've switched my pickup time. Rolled it back by about 15 minutes or so starting today. Going to see if that helps me end up in line right in front of the pick up doors. Last year his part of the school was in the very front so I had to be early to be first in line. This year he is at the middle to back half. I don't have to sit there as long, that's nice. But, it did give me an hour to knit so I didn't mind.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

acu
Welcome Lynne! Prayers for healing coming your way. Congrats on your granddaughter. I bet you and her cousins will spoil her silly.
BBL

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to 2xblessed

Nice to meet you Lynn. Happy to hear you have good prognosis.

Not feeling so well today, headachy and tummy ache. Teeth are better though, not near so painful. Body is just changing one pain for another. lol

NO Missa, 11 years ago DH had a second heart attack (genetics are bad for him despite the care taken to prevent it). He had triple bypass as they couldn't do the 5 they wanted. After the surgery he developed a rare condition. HITS Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia. He is one of the less than 1% of the population that is allergic to heparin. Instead of thinning the blood it causes blood clots all over the body. Many have stroke, heart attack, loose their skin, a leg, or arm. DHs lodged in his adrenal glands. He now produces no adrenalin and has to take hydrocortisone daily, which causes its own issues. They VA freaked out when they learned he had been taking it for so long. Well if he doesn't take it he can't wake up. If he does it causes weight gain and a whole slew of other issues. IF he takes too much he can't sleep. It is really a no-win situation.

DHs heart docs wrote a paper on him as this was such a rare thing to lodge in the adrenal glands, they had never seen it before.

The VA promised to call him with results as soon as they got them - they are notoriously slow reporting.

DH and I are one big mess! lol

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to rockmom

Oh my goodness Denise, your dh and gone through he!!. So very sorry. As far as the dental work...OY!

I too have dental work I keep putting off. I had a root canal done and the dentist cracked my tooth under the gum line while performing the root canal. This was realized AFTER the tooth was capped, even though I kept saying "something is wrong...why do I have pain if there is no root"!!!!! Anyhoo, that tooth needs to be pulled and I don't know what they plan on doing because it's surrounded by capped teeth. I hate going to the dentist. I rather have natural child birth to a 12 lb baby!!!!!!

OK, got some pics.....

POD 1 - YUMMY By Linnny

POD 2 - Church By Linnny
Mini 3 - Under construction By Linnny

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to rockmom

Oh my goodness Denise, your dh and gone through he!!. So very sorry. As far as the dental work...OY!

I too have dental work I keep putting off. I had a root canal done and the dentist cracked my tooth under the gum line while performing the root canal. This was realized AFTER the tooth was capped, even though I kept saying "something is wrong...why do I have pain if there is no root"!!!!! Anyhoo, that tooth needs to be pulled and I don't know what they plan on doing because it's surrounded by capped teeth. I hate going to the dentist. I rather have natural child birth to a 12 lb baby!!!!!!

OK, got some pics.....

POD 1 - YUMMY By Linnny

POD 2 - Church By Linnny
Mini 3 - Under construction By Linnny

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to Linnny

Mini #6 Under there By Erjaan

Poor owner, but no one hurt but a sign post.

Whole Northern Pike By Erjaan
Just in case you needed to see the whole Pike

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to erjaan

JCI again.

Went with DH and we finally got a new water softener tonight. Won't be in till Friday though. I'll be glad to feel clean after a shower!

Denise....my goodness!

Missa....I'm starting episode 10 next-season 1. #9 was intense at the end. I almost didn't want to watch anymore but I gotta know what's going to happen next!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

JFF

JFF A chalkboard By 2xblessed

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to 2xblessed

MMS

Anna C
Anna C 
Angel
Anna C
In response to 2xblessed

Hi ladies!

Welcome Lynne! Lynne Glad to know you have a good prognosis....sorry you are dealing with that nasty "C" word! You will be in my prayers!

Hello to all! Have a great weekend!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to Anna C

Good Night Ladies!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to 2xblessed

JCI and heading to bed.

Have a great evening!

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan

Good morning ladies! Off to a wedding about 150 south of here. It will be nice to see family and to get near some REAL stores.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to erjaan

Morning!

Enjoy your day away Kate!

Raining here this morning. Later today we are heading to my dads for a cookout.

Krista....got your package out yesterday.

klweist
Diva
klweist

Good morning.

It's pretty dreary out here, too. A little drizzle. DH is working in the driveway on the haybine. We had to get a new sickle for it because the old one was shot, so he's replacing it. He is so handy with our farm equipment.

DD is with my parents for the weekend and DS is at work, so I am having a quiet day in the house. I plan to work on my Sunday school lesson. I teach the adult class b/c I am not gifted to teach the little guys. I really love it. I also plan on working on a couple LOs.

Lori, I guess I don't share about my degree much because, for now, when I think about it, all I see is the mountain of debt! Once I get to work, maybe I'll appreciate it more...all the term papers and reading and homework. I went to Liberty University Online and had to attend 3 week long classes in Virginia. The drive down was about 7 hours but those weeks were neat. I went down 3 different times. It was nice to interact with professors and other classmates. The campus is beautiful and VA is a gorgeous state. But, I am such a homebody that I was always super happy to get home.

Edited by klweist on 08-03-13 05:58 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to klweist

Good Morning! A beautiful morning and not too terribly hot yet.
So much I need to do today. Wonder how much I will actually complete? I go to bed and wake up with good intentions and somehow once I actually get up, my intentions get "forgotten". Guess I had better work on my Sunday School lesson first.
Everyone have a great day and I will bbl!

Linnny
Linnny 
Queen
Linnny
In response to 2xblessed

Good morning!!!!

Dark, Deary, Drizzling.....the THREE D's! Glad we changed our plans of spending the day out to tomorrow!

This weather makes me lazy...I planned on working on my tag in a bag swap.....I also still need to color my hair.....I need to get outta me nightie and grab a shower.....I need to eat some breakfast.....sigh....I'm reeeeally lazy today.

nanasan
Mayor
nanasan
In response to Linnny

Good Morning!

Oh wow! Hot and muggy here! But a beautiful
day!
Welcom Lynne! Will keep you in my prayers!

One to share!
Have a great weekend everyone!

August Photo Fun - #1 Itty Bitty By Nanasan

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to rockmom

• rockmom Said:

Re homeschooling on last month's thread. Our oldest DD went to public school but the twins were homeschooled by me. It afforded us many opportunities to learn so much more. We went to McDonald Observatory in West TX to view the sun via telescope and talked to the scientists for over an hour one on one in 5th grade. Invaluable experience. We visited many sites in TX when we studied TX history in 7th grade. We usually finished school year in March because it was one on one time or two on one time learning. The kids got to do gymnastics and tae kwon do during the daytime. DD was dyslexic and it took lots of time to retrain her brain to see what she was seeing in the right way. If she messed up I circled the words or numbers and made her retry. If she got it right then I counted it as correct. If not them it was wrong. This technique allowed her not become frustrated. They both got to start coaching by age 14 and further their careers at a young age. They started college in high school. DD graduated suma cum laude with a 4.0 despite her dyslexia. As far as socialization I can tell you my kids are fully functioning citizens and have been grounded in my ethics and ideals rather than some school system's or teachers (there are many great teachers but just as many not so great teachers, and I am not knocking them as a group, just the ones that threw scissors at the class as my oldest DD had done, or played favorites, or were unwilling to work with parents, etc.)

Now to tell you why I homeschooled them. I was against it but DH kept showing reports after report of grades comparing the two groups on standardized tests. The homeschoolers consistently scored higher. Then there was the issue of DD's dyslexia, I can tell you she would never have achieved what she did if she had been lost in a myriad of others in public school. Also the things happening in the public schools were so terrible. Kids being pushed down the stairs, broken legs and arms, lockers being busted in, a racial murder, police in the building, inconsistency in grading and fairness, scissors being thrown by an out of control teacher, etc. I was plain tired of the stuff going on. Folders in a certain color of yellow, with brads and pockets, having to drive to the city to find one. Being given one day to have it.

Okay that is my two cents worth having seen it from both sides of the coin. Yes, there are people that have no business homeschooling but there are teachers that have no business being a teacher either.

Like Lori, I have seen some weird homeschooled kids. They just don't talk. I was a shy child so I get that, but sometimes it is just even different than that.

I home educate because my dh and I felt led to it before our first child was born. It is a huge commitment--especially now in our second year of high school for him. I also have one who could be considered "weird". He has learning disabilities and social awkwardness, but has gotten so much better in the last two years. He's learning to push through the shyness and at least smile and say "hi" when meeting someone new. I am equipping kids who will go out in the world and contribute to society; not ones who will sit and stare at people. So many parents just let their kids do whatever and take little interest--and that goes for kids schooled at home and elsewhere. Now I don't want to go to the other extreme and be a helicopter parent, but I do want to protect my kids appropriately. And like Lori also said, the fact that the online school gives accountability with a real teacher and not just the parent is helpful. That's huge for a lot of families. There are times with my dd that being accountable to someone besides me would be a positive. I know I am accountable to God (and she knows she should be too) but as a child it's harder to remember that. A tangible person would be harder to justify missing assignments to.

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to Greenacres

Welcome Lynne!

I'm Sherry and haven't been very good about keeping up here the last few months. Now I am busy gearing up for AWANA that starts in September at church.

My grandma is a 20 or so year survivor, dh's aunt is a 9 year survivor, and a friend here is going on 6 years I believe. My prayers for you.

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres

Lori, I was reading you were asking about protein powder for your hair? Are you trying to thicken your hair? I haven't come across anything (haven't tried super hard) to help my hair. It gets so scraggly. Knox gelatin use to say for nails. (I'll need to look this up since it's not on the box).

As for protein powder, I think I got a milk protein allergy from it when I was low carbing almost 10 years ago. Now I just crack a fresh egg into my goat milk, ice, stevia, sugar, and cocoa. I will only use raw eggs from my chickens...never from the store.

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres

So Knox is not for hair. Nails and skin though. The last use is photography-related:

http://www.knoxgelatine.com/gelatine.htm

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres

Mini: Fabulous Find By Greenacres

Mini: Pattern By Greenacres

Mini: Under Consruction By Greenacres

JFF By Greenacres

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Sherry, I did not know you homeschooled. One thing I like to say is that there is NO ONE that knows your kids more than you. You know what they are capable of, you know when they lie, you know when they have given their all. This makes it much easier to be fair about grading and discipline.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to rockmom

WooHoo....Sher is back! Missed you!

Well stated on the homeschool subject! I probably could have used a better word other than "weird" to describe some of the kids but hey, that's what I think. I'm courteous when it comes to wordage these days, you have to be. One day weird will be categorized into the "no, no" group I suppose. I think with my family the "commitment" part was the obvious issue. I believe some people like the idea of teaching their kids and jump in without realizing the big picture and all that it requires. I'm not meant to be a teacher, especially to one of my own. I'd have all my hair pulled out within days (or his)! Speaking of hair, yes...trying to thicken it up and really just get it healthy again. I remember my mom using Knox when I was a kid. You did not want her to grab you if you were naughty, lol! They were nails of steel! Oddly enough...your concoction sounds good (minus the goat milk). I know, I know it tastes nothing like a goat smells...but.....hehehe!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Off to my dad's house....food...yummy!

Need to catch up with Sher's pics......BBL!

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

ACU
It is so good to have Sherry back with us! Missed you!
BBL

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to 2xblessed

Missa.....WOW! There were so many twists. I have to admit....I had a hunch. Starting season 2 tomorrow although I really want to tonight!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

This is so not a good pic but I wanted to share anyway.

mini #3 Under Construction By Desilu3131

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

Heading to bed shortly. Accomplished very little I set out to do today. Have been super sleepy today. I get still and I go to sleep. I used to laugh at family members who would do that. Guess it is payback time. Well, while dozing, I came up with some great "chalkboard" ideas. Now, to get the stuff to do them. Might have to wait until next month. Unless, HL has a great sale on what I want. Think I am addicted to HL online!
Good Night Ladies!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to 2xblessed

Carolyn...I'm lucky to have one close...OK...maybe not! I have spent tons in that store, especially when the oldest worked there and I got her discount. What kind of stuff are you shopping for this time?

It's way late here...1:30..where did time go today?

Night everyone!

klweist
Diva
klweist

I have such a busy day ahead and here I am, at 3:45 am (EST), keeping my allergies company. First, I am teaching Sunday school. Then, DH, DS, and I are going to my parents' house. DD has been there all weekend. My guys are going to move the upstairs couch down and vice versa. Dad is having shoulder surgery on Wednesday and needs the other couch upstairs to recuperate because it doesn't have the handle that puts up the foot of the recliner. He'll be able to lean back to open it.

After that, all of us (DD included) will come home. We have a minor league baseball team about 40 miles away (Altoona Curve) and the Breezettes are performing before the show. DH and I will be there along with both sets of grandparents. There are fireworks after the game but I'm not sure that DH and I will stay b/c he gets up at 5 to go to work.

I guess I will go sprinkle love on some LOs and work on my SS lesson some more.

Have a super fun day!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131
In response to klweist

Morning!

Kelly you sure have a busy day scheduled! Hope you get those allergies tamed.

I have a busy day scheduled myself. Uriah was sort of a stinker yesterday at my dads. He got his iPad and TV taken away. We have plans to keep him busy around the house. Of course that takes me away from what I want to do but I'm hoping to get some things accomplished with his help.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom

Ugh, allergies. so sorry Kim. Sounds like a full day.

Good luck with your day and keeping U busy Lori.

God Bless y'all.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to rockmom

Kelly Congrats on your degree. I hope you find something in your field soon. I can imagine it must be a tough job market now.

Lori I had a hunch about The Killing too, but I was still furious. I know it's silly.

Denise That is really quite an ordeal your husband has been through. I hope that the VA gets some answers for you soon, but I know they certainly lag.

I hope everyone is well.

I got home yesterday to six feet tall tomato plants and a jungle in the rest of the garden. I'll get some photos up soon.

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

JCI.

Uriah and I cleaned out the hall closet this morning, all but the floor (that will be later today). How can I have 3, yes 3, trash bags full of stuff to throw away? Really! We has so many towels that were ragged (I bought some new ones so Uriah could have some decent ones to take to camp). One whole bag was nothing but old towels, hand towels, & wash cloths. One bag is going to goodwill (old comforters, blankets, table cloths that we never use, and some twin sheets). The kitchen trash bag was filled with outdated items (seriously some expired on '08). I can't wait to see what I pull out from the floor of the closet! A bit embarrassed but it looks so much better!

DH came home from work early. We made a Walmart run (oh joy). He needed new jeans. Poor man wears them out and stains them up and he'll wear them forever! He got some new shirts too. U got some new undershirts for school. He normally wears a tshirt under his clothes as he doesn't like his "man boobs" to show through. I decided to have him try a "wife beater" to see how he likes those. Those are the ribbed tank type undershirt. I'm surprised that name isn't on the Walmart packaging, lol!

I got some much needed new undies myself. Was down to 3 pair. I've been pitching them by the day. Half of them didn't even have elastic anymore. DH also got me a new covered fold up hamper with a lid. I filled that sucker to the max with....yarn, lol! Nothing but baby yarn! Since we have been home I got the urge to kinda organize the yarn store in my living room. What do you know....there is now room to sit! DH is happy!

Uriah is out mowing the yard and he cleaned up his mess from deconstructing the washer. He pretty much destroyed it with the pucks then he got into tearing it apart.

DH must have been on a spending spree today...he got a new weedeater. I'm thrilled about that. It hasn't been done all summer! The old one was shot. We also got a new hose hanger for the side of the house. I threw that in the cart. Tired of seeing it lay around all over the ground.

I have windows up and it is simply beautiful out.

I hope you are all having a great day. I suppose while I'm in the mood I should get back to being busy!

BBL!

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100

Peddlar's Village By Lgtaylor100

Another shop in Lahaska, Pa.

These two photos are from a beautiful shopping area in Bucks County, PA. called Peddlar's Village

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100

url=http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/photo/4 000347.html][/url] Shop in Peddlar's Village. Lahaska, Pa By Lgtaylor100

KristaDee
Queen
KristaDee

Hey All!!!!

Just checking in. Had some time to get online. Will try to get the photos commented on.

Welcome to Lynne, and to welcome back to Sher!

I've been taking a few photos. But been a little busy. Friday was rodeo, Saturday was parade and rodeo. Today I'm going with my Sister to drop my niece off at Bible Camp. Tomorrow Crispin and my other niece will be going to VBS in the morning.
So - a full week is ahead of us.

Greenacres
Governor
Greenacres
In response to KristaDee

Aw, thanks ladies. I don't know if I will be super consistent, but I missed you all!

Lori, I was trying to find out what you meant by a "wife beater" "shirt". You had me giggling. Although, maybe I shouldn't. I also think your use of "weird" was just fine. We can't be so PC that we can't say weird!

Big news today. Our pastor resigned and is moving to Kansas City. He's only been here a year. Prayers for my church are welcomed if you are a praying person. And prayer for him and his family would be great since moving is no fun!

Off to comment. And eat pb cookies. Flourless ones come out reallyyyyyyy good. And the dough is extra yummy too. I might just eat that lol!

desilu3131
Angel
desilu3131

Sher....that's the only thing I've ever heard those ribbed undershirts called. LOL!

Gotta pizza in the oven for dinner. Man, I'm feeling so accomplished today. We have gotten so much done. I pulled all my flowers out of my recycled bird bath, the one I painted red. Put all my hens chick in it. WIll see how they do. I was tired of the pail they were in, sitting on the ground and weeds growing up around it. Since they don't need much water the old bath/fountain should be good for them. It didn't hold water well.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed

ACU
Lori, I couldn't help but giggle at "wife-beater t-shirt". I thought that phrase was just used in my neck of the woods. I thought it was a "redneck" term. Or is redneck not just a local phrase either?
My online wish list for HL grows every day. I was thinking yesterday about getting "mini" kitchen type items from the Dollhouse department and making a chalkboard designed especially for use in the kitchen. Also, want to do Christmas-themed ones. A friend said she saw where someone had taken a metal lunchbox and made the inside lid a chalkboard. That way "mom" could write a note for the child to read at lunchtime. I might try my hand at that. Gave the commissioned chalkboard to a friend to mail for me this week. Hope she will do that tomorrow.
It is miserably hot and humid here. Makes me feel exhausted to get out in it for even a few minutes. Take Daisy out and before I can get back in the house I am sweating. I am so ready for Fall temps!
BBL

lgtaylor100
Diva
lgtaylor100
In response to 2xblessed

Thanks for welcoming me and for your nice comments. The animals are soft like stuffed animals, but there must be something hard in the stuffing so they can stand. I live in Bucks County, PA. Where is everyone from?

erjaan
erjaan 
Queen
erjaan
In response to klweist

• klweist Said:
Good morning.

DD is with my parents for the weekend and DS is at work, so I am having a quiet day in the house. I plan to work on my Sunday school lesson. I teach the adult class b/c I am not gifted to teach the little guys. I really love it. I also plan on working on a couple LOs.

Lori, I guess I don't share about my degree much because, for now, when I think about it, all I see is the mountain of debt! Once I get to work, maybe I'll appreciate it more...all the term papers and reading and homework. I went to Liberty University Online and had to attend 3 week long classes in Virginia. The drive down was about 7 hours but those weeks were neat. I went down 3 different times. It was nice to interact with professors and other classmates. The campus is beautiful and VA is a gorgeous state. But, I am such a homebody that I was always super happy to get home.

Kelly one my husband's best friends (they were each others bestman and college roommates) is a Professor at Liberty. He lives in Minnesota now and does most classes on line and just flies to Virginia 8 times a year for a week.
Dr. John Benham. Hasn't the world changed a lot???

Page 1 of 8 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics