Username Post: Random spending!!        (Topic#1589875)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Some folks say, "Buy only what you need to crop", but I am in favor of random spending. This morning I found an old picture of my mother (who passed away 31 years ago). I was able to make a beautiful page with things I bought "just because". The paper that touches my soul, I will buy every time. How about you?

dorichatelain
Resident
dorichatelain
In response to bonprof

I don't go shopping for supplies unless I am needing something for a project or if I need to stock up on adhesive.

I have so much stuff that I need to use more then I buy...

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dorichatelain

I have a decent stash of things built up, so these days I try and by things only as needed. However, I will take advantage of a good deal if I have a project in mind, even if that project is months (or years) away from being tackled.

Basically, I like to keep a basic stash on hand. Anything extra is gravy.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bonprof

I missed the days when I took my photo(s) to the LSS and bought materials specifically for it. I was able to buy spot on colors and patterns that brought out the best in my images. But somewhere along the way my amount of stash grew to a CRAZY amount which stops me now from impulsive purchases. And I think this is why so many say...be careful not to buy, buy, buy. It is VERY easy to all of a sudden have hundreds of dollars of materials you are no longer excited about.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I'm trying very yard to just buy for needed projects But, not able to do this real well.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Sneezy1956

I found it very expensive when I bought supplies specifically FOR certain pics.....fun, but expensive.

Now, I don't have an LSS nearby and usually only get to go shopping a couple of times a year. I buy things I love and then have them on hand. Sure, I have a huge stash that would equal ridiculous amounts of money, but I also bought a lot of it off clearance, etc. and I can pretty much scrap any pic at any time. Sometimes I have to make my own themed embellies...like I just had to make a barber pole, because I didn't have any themed embellies for a shaving lo, but it all works and I get to feel really creative when I think of unusual ways to tie something into a certain theme.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to bonprof

I have done my share of random spending. And I have a stash to prove it. I, too, am trying to scrap from that stash. I could probably scrap for a year or so on a regular basis without buying anything except adhesive. That is what I am going to be trying to do!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to idlewoman

Compared to every scrapper I know, maybe even including most of the women on this site, I don't have a lot of stuff. I think I am going through the "stocking up" phase. And it's fun!!!

justartguy007
Pro
justartguy007
In response to bonprof

I haven't been buying a lot in the past month. Since a scrappy friend I meet on youtube. Wanted to sent me some items. It was a box stuffed full of papers and stickers etc... That now I feel like I don't need to shop for while. I'm now trying not to shop to much for scrapbook stuff. I might put some stuff on my wishlist on some of the online stores. But like some had said above. I now will only buy stuff if I really need something. So I can save money.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to justartguy007

I went for a long time just riding on my stash but this year I just felt the need to rejuvenate my paper stash and invest in a few new tools. I'm more of a random scrapbooker. I flip through my photos and when one catches my eye...and my heart it gets scrapped. I like having stuff on hand to scrap on a whim.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to olleharr

I don't go to the store unless I need something specific, but I am in favor of random spending while I'm there. If I see something I like and have something that I really think I could use it for and its on sale, I will buy it. I'm just trying not to get my random spending too out of hand. Which clearly, it got out of hand today when I went shopping. Oh well!

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg
In response to mrsrogers52513

When I buy I because I see something I like, but I do not shop very often. So it remains fun! There are times that I need to look for something for a specific LO or project and that's okay too I just add it too my shopping fun. I do not back myself into any particular camp.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

You are funny!! My problem lately is this website. Omg! I love to shop here!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I buy a lot online - 4 orders this month - and I like my orders to be large enough to justify the shipping. Or... if its a free shipping day, large enough to qualify for the free shipping.

I've slowed W-A-Y down on tools, Cricut Carts, dies, Slice Cart, embossing folders and things like that - I don't use what I have so I rarely buy more unless something really grabs me. I may buy one Cricut cartridge a year.

However, if I see paper and I like it - I buy it. I have about 2,000 sheets of cardstock and about 2,000 sheets of patterned paper on hand. I do not pass patterned paper I like. I don't care if I need it or not. And I buy about 5 sheets of it because if I buy just one or two I have trouble forcing myself to use them. And, some of my travel layouts are 4 or 5 pages.

Themed paper - I never pass that up. I know I will not be able to find it if I need it. I get comments all the time about how my themed papers are so cool - I have themed papers for everything. I saw hot air balloon papers - I bought it. I may go some day.

Last week I was doing a layout of my granddaughter in a shopping cart. I thought, "Too bad they don't make shopping cart paper." Guess what - I had paper with shopping carts on it! What a nice surprise when I discovered that.

If I love an embellie - I buy it. I even bought one for skydiving. Maybe I will skydive some day, maybe not. But if I do - I'm ready to scrap it.

My weakness besides papers is diecuts. If I see a cute diecut - I buy it.

When I do a layout I almost always have my diecuts and my papers in my stash.

I order my ATG tape on line and I buy 24 boxes at a time - 48 rolls so I don't ever have to run out for adhesive. I could scrap the rest of my life and never run into a store.

I even have diecuts for cities and countries all over the world that I "might visit" someday - because I will never find them when I need them.

But tools - not so much anymore.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Henri Jean

I feel less guilty after reading your entry. I love paper too, but lately have been buying collections of things. I like having brads to match, etc, etc.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to bonprof

I rarely shop for a specific lo or picture. I buy what products inspire and speak to me.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to andrea m

I shop exactly like Henri! I call it "shopping with my heart" (a nice a of saying compulsive). Especially when it comes to themed paper. I don't want to have the perfect photos and then finding the perfect paper I saw has been discontinued. If I love it, it's mine. I, too, shop on-line often, especially when I find great deals. I love pulling into the driveway and seeing a nice package on my porch! It's like Christmas.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

Love it when those packages arrive!

Got some cute embellies in the mail yesterday for the New Orleans layouts I just put together. I will go back later and see if I can work them in. Wish I had ordered them earlier so I would have them on hand when I did the layouts.

Doing the Azores right now. Hope to finish it up today.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

A thought just occurred to me...... for people who buy for a specific project, where do they get their supplies? I used to love taking photos into the LSS and buying everything I needed for a layout. Those have always resulted in my best layouts. But....the LSS's are gone and the Big Box (at least the ones in my area) do not have wide selections. I do place orders here online with a specific project in mind, but usually throw in a few extras for my stash to keep my shipping costs lower.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Luvmyfam

hahahaha, I love it- it's not 'compulsive shopping,' it's SHOPPING WITH MY HEART!

Well, everyone knows that I'm a compulsive shopper and a hoarder. But I like the way it looks like a LSS in my craftroom. So much so that I put up the pegboard, so I could hang new product from hooks to enhance the LSS-in-my-craftroom EXPERIENCE. lol

kory

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to designguyKORY

Good for you! If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I like that phrase Kory - shopping with my heart. I do a lot of shopping with my heart!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513

I like to go to Archiver's, but like my LSS's the best. I like that it's not super busy like a Hob Lob or Michaels, and I can just take my time and look around without having to deal with getting around people, etc. And usually the workers at LSS will only ask you once if you need help and just leave you alone, which I like. I don't like to be bothered...lol. Then that way if there's a picture I have that I'm trying to match something, it's a lot easier at the LSS than at a box store.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

What is LSS? I live in so cal and im guessing we dont have one.

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to bonprof

i quite a long time ago. I just get what i need to do a project. Like right now I am doing my son scrapbook. So I am looking for boy type things.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
What is LSS? I live in so cal and im guessing we dont have one.

Do you really not have local scrapbook stores in So. Cal.?? We only have one in my city in East Tennessee. It's very inconvenient, so I always go to the big box stores or shop here.

Edited by crichards1 on 08-05-13 04:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to crichards1

LSS stands for local scrapbook store as opposed to Michaels or Hobby Lobby or Joanns. We have one here in Ocala and one at the Villages which is 30 minutes from here. I enjoy shopping at the LSS here but it really is more expensive, doesn't have specials and doesn't take coupons.

The one in Ocala really caters a lot more to cardmakers and they aren't all that warm and friendly to scrapbookers so I rarely go there. I like the one in the Villages because they welcome the scrapbookers a lot more. They encourage cardmakers but they encourage scrapbookers too. I just feel more welcome.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Carol - I think she was asking what LSS stood for. I didn't know when I came to this scrapbook.com either and asked. Then someone told me it stood for "Local Scrapbook Store".

I thought LSS was the name of a store or chain of stores so I thought we didn't have one either.

Sometimes our abbreviations aren't immediately clear to people who are new to the site.

Bonprof, if you start a thread, "Anyone know of an LSS in Las Angeles or San Diego or wherever you live in Southern California someone may be able to tell you where some are that aren't too far. When I go on a trip I start a thread and ask where the best Local scrapbook stores are in the areas where I am travelling.

That way I find out where the good ones are and don't waste my time on the ones that aren't so good but buy large ads.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

i FINALLY hhave some money to get some more supplies and am going to buy for the first time online here in a few days!!!!!!!!!YIPEE!!!
My question is:
Does the 700 yellow atg gun really work THAT good I mean 85.00 is alot of money for me to put down. see, I went to m's a few months ago and bought a pink atg gun - tried and tried and could not make it work good enough so i have bad expriences with them!!! just would love some suggestions on what to buy other than paper!!!! I do however LOVE the simply renee clip it up- wanted it for a year!!!!
thanks,
mg

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mindygail

I have 2 pink atg guns (one for home and one that goes to crops)and they work both awesome.

If you are having trouble with them you may just need to practice with what you have. There is a learning curve to them - you have to release the trigger at the right time and use a lifting up motion at the same time you release. My husband hasn't gotten the hang of it yet and makes a mess and gets adhesive everywhere.

I don't know anything about a yellow atg gun but I would be very hesitant to pay 85.00 - the pinks are about 40.00 and with a Michaels coupon they are about 20.00. I found a whole bin of them on sale at Michaels a while back for $19.95 so I can't imagine paying $85 for an atg no matter what color it is.

I just went to a site a read about it. It is the same as the pink one only it takes 1/2" or 3/4" tape. For some crafts it may be a handy thing to have, and for framing it would probably be good but for scrapbooking - I think one reason so many of us use atg's is to save money on adhesive. This would push the price for adhesive way up more than I'm willing to spend. I don't know anyone who uses 1/2" or 3/4" tape and the operation is the same as the pink one.

Here is the description I found: The yellow ATG 700 allows with the touch of the finger quick, controlled application of strips of ATG pressure-sensitive adhesive tape. Bond lines are thin. No mess or clean-up. The ATG acrylic adhesive flows into surface irregularities to join, mount or laminate.

It looks just like the pink one to me so I would think it would work the same way. If you haven't mastered the pink one you will probably be frustrated with the yellow. Even more because you will have more money invested.

I personally would not do it. If you want more adhesive, just make two runner next to each other for the same price and save $85.00.

If my information is wrong - somebody please correct me. From looking at the scotch site, these are my thoughts but I stand corrected with no problem is I'm misread or misinterpreted.

If you want suggestions on what to buy, go to the gallery and pick out layouts that you like. Buy elements used on those layouts that you like. If you like sticker letters - buy some. If you like flowers, buy some. If you like the pen journaling, buy pens to journal, or stamps. If you like the way the embossing looks, maybe put your money towards an embossing machine.

Just look at a lot of layouts and see what you would like to add to yours.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

I shop for fun and have a pretty good collection of "just because" stuff! Paper is my weakness and I love all of mine! Believe it or not, I have found a few papers that nothing seems to go with, so I have learned to match solids with patterns at the time of purchase. Shopping creates dreaming and all is therapy for me!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to wilbur

Paper and stamps are my weakness. Bought more today!

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to bonprof

I am a "Shop from my heart" shopper too... Sounds endearing, but face it-- it's a sickness!!
I find it difficult to go to a store to pick out specific products for a card or LO, I have CONVINCED myself that I need all the things I have so I can be ready to make something any time I'm ready to create!
Kory-- you are SO right!! I love having my own little scrapbook store, too!
One of my favorite things to do is have somebody stop by who wants to make something special for somebody else. They come in to my "shop", pick out what they want and make a card, LO, shadow box, etc. I let them take whatever thy want -- just can't touch my Copics!
This little exercise in sharing keeps me from believing I'm a HOARDER-- 'cause, hoarders don't share... Right???

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to leslief

It is totally a sickness! If something is super cute, but I don't have a specific picture to put it with or card to use it on or whatever, I convince myself that someday I will, and when I need this cute item, it won't exist anymore!

I just had an interview at Archiver's yesterday, and my husband said he hopes I get it so I can get a discount and use that money on my "addiction." lol

And I love making stuff for other people, so I NEED to have a variety of things on hand!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I love this topic!! Obsessive-compulsive disorder is what i have and shopping here fits the bill!

4tgrfans
Veteran
4tgrfans

We don't have ANY scrapbook supply stores here. Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Joann's, etc are almost 2 hours away, so when I'm in the city and stop by, I get a lot because I never know how long it will be until I get back. Not every city trip includes stops at THOSE stores unfortunately.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to crichards1

We have tons of stores. I just didnt know what lss meant. Now i do!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

Hello all, first post and I thought it fitting to post it here.

I am new to scrapbooking and I shop at Michaels. In two weeks I have amassed about 100 sheets of card stock, plus random other paper. I have bought ditress ink, stamps, 4 punches, 2 edge pattern punches, tim holtz stuff, prima flowers, and the list goes on.

In my defense, I go in for a specific project, but then I start thinking ahead to other projects I may do. (I know you all know what I am talking about )

Thank goodness for coupons and discounts offered at Michaels.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to rickinto

Hi - welcome to scrapbook.com and to scrapbooking! This is a great place to learn and make scrappy friends.

I love going to Michaels. The ladies in the scrapbook section are actually scrapbookers themselves so they are a tremendous help when I go in!

Sound like you are on your way to building up a respectable stash! I love being able to make a layout and rarely needing to run to the store for anything - its all here!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to rickinto

Welcome!! Try shopping here at sb.com. You will love it. I think having a wish list is helpful and fun. Let us know how you are doing.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I do have some of those "just because I feel like it" purchases sometimes. But it has to be something that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and will definitely use. For instance, I love flowers from certain companies. I know that I can buy lots of those and use them up. But most of the time I only get basic stuff, like adhesive, gloss...stuff that I use up quickly.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bonprof

I just printed off a list I found of LSS's in Wisconsin. I'm currently weeding through it to see which ones still exist. I'm planning a little day trip to Milwaukee next Friday (its about 2.5 hours away) and planning out what stores I'm gonna stop at. I'm excited

New Kid On the Block

Thank you for the welcome to this forum, it looks like it is a place to learn and share the scrapbook love.

Being a guy that prefers to be left alonw while browsing the aisles, I like Michaels cause I can shop and be left alone, at least in the michaels I shop at in Toronto.

I have yet to make it to a Local scrapbooking place, but when I do, I will need to leave the credit card at home.

Rick

Edited by rickinto on 08-08-13 07:06 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

Thank you for the welcome. I have done a few 8x8 pages, but currently working on my first 12x12 layout. Once it is done I will post it in the gallery.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to rickinto

• rickinto Said:
I am new to scrapbooking and I shop at Michaels. In two weeks I have amassed about 100 sheets of card stock, plus random other paper. I have bought ditress ink, stamps, 4 punches, 2 edge pattern punches, tim holtz stuff, prima flowers, and the list goes on.

Well, I hate to tell you, but it's only just begun! Welcome to our therapy group.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

OOPS! yesterday I placed my first online order here and bought an yellow atg 700 for the above price!!!!!! I heard from a scrapbooking magazine it is awesome!!!!Maybey I should of saved my money and to think: I am on a TIGHT BUDGET!!!! I should have gotten the darn we r memory keepers album and pl stuff i also wanted darnit!!!
lesson learned.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mindygail

Let me know how you like the yellow atg. I have the pink one and I love it so much I bought a second one to keep in my crop wagon. Other than the wider tape width, anxious to know if there are any other differences between the pink and yellow atg.

Diva

Too many times I had promised myself I am not buying anything except adhesive...but I failed as well. If something is on sale and I liek it...here we go...spending money. I think I am going to stop going to the stores all together so I can control myself! So...I can truly relate to you!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bayamonesa1

I just bought a second ATG as well. My local Hancock Fabrics had the pink ATG on clearance for $7! And that was with a 2 pack refill!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to dwelch

You are funny!! Yes it's a wonderful obsession this scrapbooking thing!!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I'm probably the exact opposite of most,,,,,

I'm almost COMPLETELY a random shopper,,,,,,

I shop for deals,,,,,I shop on sale,,,,,,,I shop with coupons,,,,,

RARELY, I will shop for something SPECIFIC for a project,,,,,my daughter got married recently,,,,,,so I shopped for paper for wedding projects,,,,,but that's pretty rare.

I will shop for holiday paper, etc, for Christmas cards,,,,,but most everything else, I pick up because it's on sale and I like it,,,,,,

or I just like it and use a coupon

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

• mrsrogers52513 Said:
I just bought a second ATG as well. My local Hancock Fabrics had the pink ATG on clearance for $7! And that was with a 2 pack refill!

hmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,I'm going to have to check ours,,,,Maybe they'll have one (and maybe they won't),,,thanks!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to CommaHolly

No problem! I'm all about enabling!

I think my random spending is going to get worse. I just got a job at Archiver's!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Oh congrats Amanda!!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Thank you!!

shygypsy
Resident
shygypsy

• mrsrogers52513 Said:

I just checked the store here and found the ATG on clearance - same one. I have never used one before but have read many past posts about it. At this price, I can't help but to try it out...

Thanks for the heads up!

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to shygypsy

Yay! Glad you were able to find it! I wonder why Hancock has them on clearance...they are still regular price of like $44.99 at Michaels. I was even more excited when I bought it because it was priced at $10, but rang up at $7!

squzalkitty
Tenant
squzalkitty
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I shop exactly like Henri! I call it "shopping with my heart" (a nice a of saying compulsive)..

i love that way of putting it dwelch. i'm also a compulsive shopper and i love patterned and themed paper. i'm REALLY IN LOVE with embellishments. I usually buy with a theme in mind but unfortunately i can't pass up a sale, or a garage sale that has scrapbooking stuff in it. i just bought two big customisable plastic squares with drawers in it that fit the 12x12 paper perfectly.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to squzalkitty

I'm headed to Milwaukee on Friday to hit up some LSS's and I'm shopping with my heart! I only have a few specific things I need, other than that, I'm going to buy what I like!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

I'm at a craft retreat this weekend, with shop, and I've warned DH that the credit card will get a bashing. He just laughed. I don't do that very often.

Shayla4u
Tenant
Shayla4u
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I love the "shopping with my heart" because I do this all the time. I have a huge selection of scrapbook and art supplies and just retired last month, so I actually have time to use the products. I will need to cut back on shopping now for just the new products/tools that are going to be "must haves"!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

Did you find any special treasures in Milwaukee?

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I found quite a bit of Doodlebug stuff that I can't find up here in Green Bay/Appleton. Like their sugar coated brads and stuff like that. Also found a few Lawn Fawn stamp sets, Unity stamp sets. I didn't go to as many places as I had planned, got super tired and pooped out. The next weekend I have off I think I might plan a little trip to IL, so I can visit the Container Store and IKEA...I'm in some major organization needs!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics