Username Post: Washi Tape        (Topic#1590933)
dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

What is your favorite Washi Tape and what is your favorite way to use it? I have a couple of black and white polka dot tapes that I find myself using all the time. So far, I use the tape mostly like I would a piece of ribbon on my layouts, so I'm looking for some different ideas. I just bought a couple of dispensers at M's that stack on top of each other and could really use another one. I feel a new obsession coming on . . .
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to dsouza

I don't own any

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to dsouza

Stop w/ these "enabling" threads!!!!! LOL!!! JK!

I love washi tape! It is my latest obsession!
I just bought a new one and it came this past weekend and I already used it on a layout.
I think it's my fave...at least for now.

You Make My Heart Sing By Doreena
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to Doreena

Great LO!!!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bellesmommy05

Thanks!
And sorry if anybody thinks I was showing off...the washi just looks so good on the layout I wanted to share!

But I guess if I was really showing off I would have linked all my layouts using "washi" tape...LOL!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Doreena

I'm in love with the film strip one & LOVE how you used it-looks awesome!

Eager to Scrap
Veteran
Eager to Scrap
In response to flwrgrl

I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. Can't wait. I LOVE ribbon so I am sure I will love it too.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Eager to Scrap

• Eager to Scrap Said:
I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. Can't wait. I LOVE ribbon so I am sure I will love it too.

Oh yes! Much better than ribbon!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Doreena

Love the film strip tape!!!! I see that in my near future! You did an awesome job on the LO!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Doreena

i have a bunch of washi of various sizes, and yes basic patterns (arrows, polka dots, stripes) are the best - well, of course the film strip! it's a fav for a reason!
yes you can use it as a ribbon - make flowers with it, use it as a border. back in may there was a washi challenge for the NSD and a video on all the different ways to use washi. one of them was to line several strips and then punch a shape. Another was to make a banner (super easy - better than banner punch! you just wrap the washi around the twine and voila).

What I don't understand is washi SHEETS. I have a WRMK pack of those and still haven't done a single layout with it.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Love the film strip tape!!!! I see that in my near future! You did an awesome job on the LO!

Thank you!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
i have a bunch of washi of various sizes, and yes basic patterns (arrows, polka dots, stripes) are the best - well, of course the film strip! it's a fav for a reason!
yes you can use it as a ribbon - make flowers with it, use it as a border. back in may there was a washi challenge for the NSD and a video on all the different ways to use washi. one of them was to line several strips and then punch a shape. Another was to make a banner (super easy - better than banner punch! you just wrap the washi around the twine and voila).

What I don't understand is washi SHEETS. I have a WRMK pack of those and still haven't done a single layout with it.

Washi sheets? Don't know what that is...
Have you looked them up in the superstore for examples?

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to OlesyaK.

and I'll show off a little too (Doreena, I hope you don't mind)
layout using mostly washi and not much else..
Whispering sweet nothings By OlesyaK.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
and I'll show off a little too (Doreena, I hope you don't mind)
layout using mostly washi and not much else..
Whispering sweet nothings By OlesyaK.

Hey!!!!!!
LOL!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to OlesyaK.

washi sheets by WRMK

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
washi sheets by WRMK

oh wow!
oh no!
I don't need more things to buy!!!

Hahahahahahah!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to OlesyaK.

Have you used Washi tape to make flowers and if so, could you give a brief explanation how or a link so that I can see what one looks like? And Washi Sheets!!! Who knew???

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to OlesyaK.

Ooh! I love the tape with the little orange birds on your layout! Cute, cute, cute!

Expert
In response to dsouza

Is washi tape self adhesive??

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to bellesmommy05

Yes, it is.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Doreena

• Doreena Said:
Stop w/ these "enabling" threads!!!!! LOL!!! JK!

I love washi tape! It is my latest obsession!
I just bought a new one and it came this past weekend and I already used it on a layout.
I think it's my fave...at least for now.

You Make My Heart Sing By Doreena

Doreena I love what you did with the washi!

I like to take it and fold it in half and then cut a tail on it and use it as a banner

Edited by Sneezy1956 on 09-16-13 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Sneezy1956

Thanks!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Doreena

Here is one I used washi to make banners.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

Now, that's just too clever!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

You've all shown great examples. For me, I seem to just collect it, but it looks pretty in big see-thru jars (notice the plural). I've tried using it, but on my stuff it looks like a first-grader did it, so I rip it off. Maybe I need to step back, leave it for a day or two, then look again...or just enjoy looking at all of them in my jars :>) Or just steal your LOs!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
You've all shown great examples. For me, I seem to just collect it, but it looks pretty in big see-thru jars (notice the plural). I've tried using it, but on my stuff it looks like a first-grader did it, so I rip it off. Maybe I need to step back, leave it for a day or two, then look again...or just enjoy looking at all of them in my jars :>) Or just steal your LOs!

In general, as in not just washi tape layouts, I sometimes have a tendency to not like a layout but after leaving it alone for a few days it grows on me and I realize it's a lot better than originally thought! Maybe next time try to leave the layout alone for a few days. If you still hate it... than destroy it!

trem1997
Pro
trem1997

So very cute, I don't own any washi tape, but you make me want to go out and buy some.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-16-13 06:29 PM
In response to trem1997

Love the film strip roll, I've used it a couple of times recently.

For me, the most useful washi tapes are the solid color ones from Japan by MT.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to dsouza

Here is a link to a great video that sb.c did for Nat'l Scrapbook Day.

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?m=view&v= 4007&...

Diva
In response to dsouza

I have quite a few but love my owls one as well asthe one with crosse. Use them for card making.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to bayamonesa1

I have quite a few, but so far have only used them a few times. I used it on a mini album to secure down some of the new Doodlebug Pixies, and I use them on my envelopes to seal them to give them a little extra color.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsrogers52513

Kels made a video for NSD on umpteen different ways to use washi tape. I used many of them on one challenge page. They are great for cards too, so quick.

Gallery Inspiration Round 9 - Hair By RedSquirrel

My favourite washi tape is black and white with music on, because I have a lot of musical friends so it is perfect for cards for them.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Have you used Washi tape to make flowers and if so, could you give a brief explanation how or a link so that I can see what one looks like? And Washi Sheets!!! Who knew???

yes in fact I did one just last week.

WASHI FLOWERS
So what you do is you punch a circle (1" or 1 1/4" for regular width washi should be okay). then you start pleating the washi around the outer edge of the circle, folding the tape in pleats and going around. only the little edge of the washi should be stuck to the circle, and you'll see quite a bit of cardstock in the center.
For the second layer, you punch another circle (same size or smaller) and pleat around the inner circle, around the center (all washi edges should touch in the middle).
layer two levels, add a button in the middle, and voila!
there are videos on youtube, of course..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPcsXtgxfk0

I did a single layer flower with sticker in the middle here
Birthday Cake By OlesyaK.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to OlesyaK.

Thank you for the instructions! I think I can actually do this! And you LO is adorable.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Luvmyfam

Thank you so much for the link! I will watch it soon. I've gotten several really cute ideas from this thread already!

EmahB
EmahB 
Expert
EmahB
  • EmahB on 09-17-13 01:19 PM
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Ooh! I love the tape with the little orange birds on your layout! Cute, cute, cute!

I agree, where did you (OlesyaK) get this tape? I NEED this!!

Edited by bbarthej on 09-17-13 01:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to EmahB

The Doodlebug Blog had a Washi Week a few weeks ago where they did all kinds of projects with washi.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to EmahB

• bbarthej Said:
  • dsouza Said:

I agree, where did you (OlesyaK) get this tape? I NEED this!!

actually that particular roll came from a dollar store))) it's very pretty but not very good quality, and quite thick (not as flexible as others)..

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to OlesyaK.

I love washi tape, too, and use it on a lot of my layouts as borders and accents running behind pics and embellishments. It seems I'm partial to the ones with bugs and leaves and stuff on them, plus the Tim Holtz line :). I adore that they're see-through but still opaque enough to be noticeable on a layout.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to dsouza

Ordered some of the new Little B tapes from the site today. Taking advantage of the free shipping! Now I definitely will have to pick up another Washi tape holder next time I'm at Michaels. Fortunately, they stack on top of each other. This will make 3 holders for me. Fortunately, my house has tall ceilings! I can envision my Washi tape holders piling up on top of each other for several feet before I move on to the next obsession!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to OlesyaK.

Oh wow. Saw the video and love this idea. Thanks for sharing

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to dsouza

I have seen Washi tape at the store but have not gotten any. I see a shopping trip in my future. Shhh....don't tell my husband.

Scrapnut16
Diva
Scrapnut16
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:

This is what I do on any layout that I am not sure about. I just leave it overnight and look at it again in the morning. Then I go to work and when I come home I look at it again. Usually by then it's grown on me.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Doreena

Super cute! I should do that for my MGM studios...okay, Hollywood Studios....pages!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to dsouza

I own like 6 washi tapes, that is it!
I dont use it that ofen but i am looking for new ideas on how to use it!!

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to dsouza

This is an awesome thread. I am convinced I am a great washi collector, not so much a washi user.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to crystalmorse

you can make your own washi tape take a strip of either scor tape or the red line tape and put tissue paper over top of it. then stamp it.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to dsouza

I love washi

Usually I use in place of a ribbon or to frame. I have also used to cover chipboard

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics