Username Post: Products on your Banned List?        (Topic#1591057)
GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury

After two posts today dealing with products that do not work, I got to thinking, what are things you have tried or even loved that for one reason or another have been placed on your "banned list"?

* Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists
* Fiskars Punches
* Detailed Bling

I am sure more will come to me. How about you ladies?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GwynnAsbury

The Fiskars border punches are not my favorites. They break easily and my local scrapbook store has quit carrying them for that reason.

However, the squeeze punches - they are wonderful! Don't know of anyone having a problem and they are the only ones recommended by the American Arthritis Foundation. You can punch using just 2 fingers! They are awesome. The 3 sizes in hexagon in the squeeze punches are really hot now - I need to get them. They are the only punch I've ever tried that you need no muscle or strength at all to operate, just lightly squeeze and so far I've found them to be extremely durable.

However, I will keep the Fiskar's border punches I have but not buy any more. I don't know how the border punch system is. I'm seeing a lot of stars by the ratings but I haven't personally tried them. Thinking about it.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Henri Jean

I have also thought about the border system. However, I do not like that their punches just stop working after a while, and I don't like their design, they are bulk..... and harder to punch, hurts my tender wrists.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Pioneer albums, arghhhh.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to aquabunny

Tombow adhesives. I bought the dispenser and several refills. I am very disappointed in this adhesive. It simply doesn't adhere well no matter how much you use. If I had my receipts from M's I would return them.

Glue Dots. Some of you may be fans, but I wind up wasting about as many as I use. They stick to my fingers and anything else within a 10 mile radius before I can get them on the paper. I despise those rolls! I much prefer the Elmer's glue spots ( I think that's what they are called). I just ordered Xyron's new dots and will let you know if they are a winner or not.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

I don't like Tombow either!

I was a at a crop with a new package of glue dots - the mini dots on the sheets and I was getting them everywhere. One of the ladies asked me how I got the glue dots on my fingers.

I told her I peeled it off the little rectangular sheet.

She told me not to do that again. To tear the perforated place around just one or two glue dots.

Then to peel the clear plastic off without touching the glue dot.

Then she told me to put it where I wanted it to stick and to lift one of the corners of the little square the glue dot was adhered to. If it didn't peel off the back of the glue dot easily than to try another corner. One corner always releases the waxy paper it is on and your fingers never touch it. I actually started liking them after someone showed me that.

I don't like the glue dots on the rolls - they work the same way but just don't seem nearly as strong to me as the ones in the flat cellophane packages.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dsouza

Tattered angels because of their clogged up sprayers and duck adhesives (all m stuff is falling off)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Although Martha Stewart makes a lot of awesome products, in my opinion the Martha Stewart Circle Cutter is not one of them. The circles never come out right. Plus there is a little protective cap that goes over the blade. It fell off the day I bought it and so I'm very cautions of using it because its an accident waiting to happen. Actually the first day when I had it in my punch container the protective cover fell off 3 or 4 times. Then it fell off and I never found it again. I couldn't put it in my punch container anymore because it would be to easy to drag my hand across the exposed blade. Glad to get rid of it since I hate the way it worked or didn't work for me.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

Is this the one you mean? I haven't had a problem yet...
Products Referenced in This Post:

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Tombow adhesives. I bought the dispenser and several refills. I am very disappointed in this adhesive. It simply doesn't adhere well no matter how much you use. If I had my receipts from M's I would return them.

Glue Dots. Some of you may be fans, but I wind up wasting about as many as I use. They stick to my fingers and anything else within a 10 mile radius before I can get them on the paper. I despise those rolls! I much prefer the Elmer's glue spots ( I think that's what they are called). I just ordered Xyron's new dots and will let you know if they are a winner or not.

The Tombow adhesive you've linked to here is a temporary adhesive. I got caught by that too when I first started scrapping. Then I discovered that the green one is only designed for things like holding unbacked rubber stamps onto acrylic blocks. I believe the permanent one is in a blue case.

My pet hate is foam squares. I hate those tiny little pieces of backing paper with a passion.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1

Henri Jean, which of MS's circle cutters do you mean? I have the one called "large circle cutter" on my Wish List. I read bad reviews on the other one but not the large circle cutter.

I have the Creative Memories circle cutting system and love it. MS's seemed like you could get more different sized circles and would be useful at different times than the CM's one.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:

You can return to Michael's without a receipt. They give you the lowest price it was sold for in the form of a credit. If it's just going to sit around not being used it would be worth it to do that.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to crichards1

I was on a retreat once and ran out of adhesive and bought one of those tombow temporary adhesives... I did not like it either, but I couldn't toss it. I have used it to hold a mask in place, and love it for that. I may even buy a refill when it gets used up just for that.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Rosita

My Martha Stewart circle cutter is the one on the right - the large one. My circles never quite started and ended at the same spot so I always had to fix the circles with scissors - always a little off. Plus the little thing that protects you from getting cut - lost the first day.

I chunked it and got the Creative Memories cutter system although I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I just haven't needed to make a circle in so long. I'm anxious to try to creative memory though - I just keep forgetting I have it!

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

Ditto on the Pioneer albums. They are not true to size - I have trouble loading even my flattest 12X12 layouts into them. Forget about any layouts with a little bulk unless you want to trim down the sides. Too bad, because I really the covers of their albums.

Interesting about the border punches. I use mine all the time and have not had any issues. I do find that they punch better if you use a heavier weight paper. They are a little hard on the wrists though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mama2Thomas

I agree - heavier weight paper doesn't rip and tear as badly as the thinner paper!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-23-13 06:30 AM

Don't like Tombow at all and even more I dislike American Crafts This to That tape runners. They do not hold AT ALL.
I bought one of their introductory sets when the first brought them out, they were awful. Called AC, they were very nice, told me that there had been a production problem with the first 'batch'. Sent me tons more of the next run. They aren't any better - I use them as temporary runners if I need them.

I do however love glue dots (Henri glad you told op how to use them properly) and AC's this to that foam squares.

RE: Fiskars punches -yes they break and become difficult to use for which I get snarky but I love their designs. I have had the best, most consistent luck with EK Success punches and love their slip profile ones.

WHat I have really had issues with areFiskars paper trimmers - the measuring grids are off kilter on them - way off on some, like 1/8 - 1/4".

I hate glitter!!!! Hate it, hate it, hate it!

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 09-23-13 06:32 AM
In response to GMFTS

At a class the other day I got to use a We R Memory Keepers corner chomper..loved it! Easy to use, cut beautifully, cuts many multiple layers.

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper

Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, UGH!!! It's easier to count the number of my sprayers that work than those that don't!! If I ever use it all up . . . NEVER AGAIN!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

Such an interesting thread! Things hate - others love!

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to NMscrapper

I am adding Duck Adhesive to my list! Used to think that stuff was the best, however, I have been going back and redoing albums from when I used the Duck Adhesive, as things are falling off the pages now......

cindy312
Diva
cindy312

Wow - I'm seeing some of my favorite things on this list. Apparently they're inconsistent since I haven't had any problems. Except Pioneer Albums. I totally agree with that one.

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to cindy312

Post-bound albums and especially extension posts. It takes me way too much time to take the album apart and install the extenders and I usually lose pieces as I am trying do it and have trouble screwing things back together.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 09-23-13 08:17 AM
In response to Frau_Cooney

The only thing that's truly banned from my life is Vellum Glue Dots - doesn't stick! Or if it does, it's only temporary.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

I bought a creative memories circle and oval cutter set years ago and I have to say that I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of them! In my opinion they are (were ) the best circle cutter on the market! I hope you enjoy using yours!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Well, I feel pretty much like an adhesive idiot now! However, I think that Tombow could do a better job of describing their product on the package. I think I will bundle up my unopen refills and take them back to Michaels. I only got them with a 40% off coupon, so if they give me that much back I'll be even.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

I have never tried the velum glue dots Kara - I have always had excellent luck just running printing on velum and running it through the xyron. Works great!

I gave up on post albums and extensions several years ago - now I use the 3 ring.

New Kid On the Block

Becky Higgins Project Life Albums. The covers can get banged up and scratched easily. They bow outward and the covers aren't that thick.

Vellum tape. After a few days, you can usually see the sticky residue turn a yellowish color.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to I scrap

• I scrap Said:
Becky Higgins Project Life Albums. The covers can get banged up and scratched easily. They bow outward and the covers aren't that thick.

Vellum tape. After a few days, you can usually see the sticky residue turn a yellowish color.

I second that one!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
Well, I feel pretty much like an adhesive idiot now! However, I think that Tombow could do a better job of describing their product on the package. I think I will bundle up my unopen refills and take them back to Michaels. I only got them with a 40% off coupon, so if they give me that much back I'll be even.

from a fellow adhesive idiot! I'll bet we're not the only ones either.

To be honest, it's useful stuff to have around. Masking as well, if you don't have any post-its to hand.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Any postbound album.

Hermafix adhesive (aka Herma Dotto). Used to love it; NOT anymore.

Any sort of epoxy stickers or embellishments.

I know I have more. Those are the ones that came to mind first.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Bxr-Linda

here's a no vote for mists - my "smooch" really clogged.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to wilbur

Ugh, Linda, yes, epoxy stuff, awful!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to aquabunny

UGH! Dotto. I can't load that thing.

Glitter. Anything with glitter. It hates me.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to Megan - ForumTech

ditto on the epoxy stuff! I have so many that have begun to curl and won't stay flat and stuck down...... UGH

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse

Ugh the dew easy. Not so easy.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:

This! Glitter and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the way it looks but it hates me and leaves a mess everywhere.

Megan!!!! You are so much cuter than the mop bucket.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to pugs223

hey Peg, I missed you.. I hope you are doing ok

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • Megan - ForumTech Said:

This! Glitter and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the way it looks but it hates me and leaves a mess everywhere.

Megan!!!! You are so much cuter than the mop bucket.

It doesn't matter how careful I am. Glitter goes everywhere.

But I miss my bucket!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
I bought a creative memories circle and oval cutter set years ago and I have to say that I have certainly gotten my money's worth out of them! In my opinion they are (were ) the best circle cutter on the market! I hope you enjoy using yours!

I love mine too! got it way cheap from the local classifieds, ovals and circles and borders and stars shapes - awesome. Well, disregarding the fact that the circle size is off and they don't cover the full range (they go like: 1", 1 1/4", 1 1/2". then skip to 2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2. then 3, etc).

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• Henri Jean Said:
My Martha Stewart circle cutter is the one on the right - the large one. My circles never quite started and ended at the same spot so I always had to fix the circles with scissors - always a little off. Plus the little thing that protects you from getting cut - lost the first day.

I have the same problem with the size and starting/ending point. I think it's because of the fluffy pad that the center piece is sitting on - it shifts just a little bit and the circle goes off.. yes you want to protect the paper, but not like that!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to OlesyaK.

My most hated product is the crappy label maker - K& company, that comes with the smash book series. TERRIBLE!!! not printing first, then printing too much, no way to do a space or a short (2-3 letter) word (can't pull the tape out). First letter is often cut off. and OMG the tape quality. it just falls off! and if you press it too hard to make it stick better, you'll end up with discoloring the tape. disaster. I always have to "edit" mine by piecing together words from multiple printings,and then coloring with sharpies. awful.

Edited by OlesyaK. on 09-24-13 07:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran

I love the Tattered Angels glimmer mist, but hate their sprayers. I bought some little mini-misters by Ranger and put the glimmer mist in those. I also dislike Fiskers border punches. They are not only hard to punch, but tend to fall apart. I picked one up last week and it just came apart in my hand! I've never had one to completely disintegrate like that before.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to OlesyaK.

• OlesyaK. Said:
My most hated product is the crappy label maker - K& company, that comes with the smash book series. TERRIBLE!!! not printing first, then printing too much, no way to do a space or a short (2-3 letter) word (can't pull the tape out). First letter is often cut off. and OMG the tape quality. it just falls off! and if you press it too hard to make it stick better, you'll end up with discoloring the tape. disaster. I always have to "edit" mine by piecing together words from multiple printings,and then coloring with sharpies. awful.

I SO TOTALLLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!! I was so disgusted with mine I threw it away. I loved the color of the tapes but you are right - the tapes don't adhere to anything. It's back to my trusty Dynamo for me!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg

These:

We R Memory Keepers - Classic Leather - 12x12 - Three Ring Albums - Forest Green

Hate them - Hate them - hate them.

I bought 1 and the covers bowed so i contacted SB.com customer service, provided a picture and they sent another, which did the exact same thing. I contacted customer service again, with a picture of the second one and they refunded my money and told me to keep the albums or toss them that it must have been a manufacturers defect issue.

I love their cloth albums but wont ever buy another leather one.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Shutterbugg

I've never had trouble with We R Leather I'm so sorry you had problems.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to Sneezy1956

I've never had a problem with mine. I only have one of the 12 x 12 but have several of the 8 x 8. I keep the 8 x 8 just as regular photo albums. What bugs me about them is that they call them "Classic Leather" when they aren't leather. I think it's very misleading. When you read further on the cover where it's wrapped it tells you it's faux, but I'm sure some people don't read that. I also have one of the 12x12 linen. I love that one.

dnurse
dnurse 
Queen
dnurse

I must agree with the TA glimmer sprays - mine always clog. I must also add Kaisercraft Rub ons and some of their paper is on the thin side. They are awful. Fiskars punches are not always the best either. And glue sticks - most of awful

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

The Fiskars shape maker... I think it's called. It was a blade in a circular hand held case to use "freehand", as if that was possible, or with the Fiskars templates. I ruined more paper this way. Ironically I barely ever cut a circle or shape anymore!! Also the Fiskars corner rounder, think it was double sided? Garbage, useless.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to dnurse

• dnurse Said:
I must agree with the TA glimmer sprays - mine always clog. I must also add Kaisercraft Rub ons and some of their paper is on the thin side. They are awful. Fiskars punches are not always the best either. And glue sticks - most of awful

I can't say much about the Kaisercraft Rubons, however, Rubons in general are on my banned list. Hate them.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to OlesyaK.

I completely agree about the MW cutter. Utterly useless!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to OlesyaK.

I gave this question a lot of thought and my answer is that I can't think of any product that I would put on my Banned List. Is that odd? lol

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Crafting Marfa

I've not had any problems with the We R Memory 'leather' albums bowing.. have some that are 8 years old... BUT, their sheet/photo protectors are banned from my house... hate the 'cloudiness' of them as they distort the colors of layouts/photos.. see comparison in photo below:

Visual comparison of photo sleeves for scrapbooks By Sunnydi

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*

• crichards1 Said:
I've never had a problem with mine. I only have one of the 12 x 12 but have several of the 8 x 8. I keep the 8 x 8 just as regular photo albums. What bugs me about them is that they call them "Classic Leather" when they aren't leather. I think it's very misleading. When you read further on the cover where it's wrapped it tells you it's faux, but I'm sure some people don't read that. I also have one of the 12x12 linen. I love that one.

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.

Epoxy stickers are evil.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Rubons! I forgot those. Well I have only about 3 left out of a BG pack, which are the only make that haven't welded themselves permanently to the backing paper, that's why. Dreadful things IMO.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

I'm beginning to wonder if humidity levels make a difference with Tombow adhesive. It's the only roller adhesive I've ever used in 6 years of scrapping, and I've never had it fail me or lost anything from the pages in my scrapbooks. I am, however, always very careful to only buy the permanent refills, and never the temporary ones. (Knock on wood!)

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to dwelch

I have creative memory albums and just bought 1 wrmk album for my classroom layouts and club layouts; it is th bulkiest, clunkiest album ever! Not sure i will ever adjust.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to Juansmom

Do you mean this Fiskars Rounder? I was considering that. Does it not work well?

Thanks!

Ugh, I just read the reviews, not good. I had it in my wish list at one time. Not now!

Edited by CrimsonMama on 09-28-13 12:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to CrimsonMama

Now I don't care if my glimmer mists clog. I don't even use them!! I just take the whole spray part out of the bottle when I want to use it and fling it from the bottom onto the paper. I actually like the way it looks better!!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Juansmom

• Juansmom Said:
The Fiskars shape maker... I think it's called. It was a blade in a circular hand held case to use "freehand", as if that was possible, or with the Fiskars templates. I ruined more paper this way. Ironically I barely ever cut a circle or shape anymore!! Also the Fiskars corner rounder, think it was double sided? Garbage, useless.

I hate that cutter. Looked so easy when demod

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I'm beginning to wonder if humidity levels make a difference with Tombow adhesive. It's the only roller adhesive I've ever used in 6 years of scrapping, and I've never had it fail me or lost anything from the pages in my scrapbooks. I am, however, always very careful to only buy the permanent refills, and never the temporary ones. (Knock on wood!)

Same here. It's my all-time favorite. I do hate their temporary adhesive, but the permanent has never failed me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Chickentoothe

I have the Fiskars squeeze corner rounders. Love them love them love them!

I'm really happy with the Fiskar's squeeze punches. Not as happy with the Fiskar's border punches.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

• Quote:
I have the Fiskars squeeze corner rounders. Love them love them love them

I'm going to get the large one for sure. But I do have a couple of their boarder punches and I like them fine. Notebook and Leave It To Weaver.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I like my border punches okay but I haven't bought more because I know so many people who have had problems with them. My local scrapbook store quite selling the Fiskar's border punches because they got so many complaints.

I used the one that looks like waves - boundary waters maybe and it worked fine yesterday but some of the others like Martha Stewart and EK Success seem to be better quality.

But the squeeze - they are awesome and I love my Fiskar's trimmer. I have a Fiskars Fuse in the box still and some day when I'm caught up a bit more I'll get it out and play with it.

crichards1
Veteran
crichards1
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
I have creative memory albums and just bought 1 wrmk album for my classroom layouts and club layouts; it is th bulkiest, clunkiest album ever! Not sure i will ever adjust.

I thought I would never adjust to WRMK after Creative Memories too. Now I love them. I love that they don't look as bulky with embellishments on the pages. I also love the ease of adding pages.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

• CrimsonMama Said:
Do you mean this Fiskars Rounder? I was considering that. Does it not work well?

I have one of those - twist-n-punch corner rounders from Fiskars. I admit, it's a love-hate relationship. I really love the two sizes - you can layer the corner of the mat with the corner of the photo real pretty with two sizes. on the other hand, the cropped pieces get stuck inside then the punch doesn't work as it should - ruined a couple pieces for me, had to cut and re-punch. just have to be careful and make sure to shake the cropped corner out..

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Yes, i already like the ease of pages,and the page protectors are very thick and durable.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to bonprof

There are several kinds of Fiskars rounders. I think the one you were referring to with 2 sizes has a flip type mechanism on a hinge. I have that one and don't like it.

The other one is a squeeze punch that has 2 handles. It comes in several different sizes, and it also comes in a 3-in-one punch with 3 different size corners. You just turn the dial to get each size. I have that one and love it. I also love the single corner squeeze punch that also punches out a design inside the corner. That one is not available in the superstore, but they do have several 3-in-one design corner punches.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics