Username Post: Family Griping        (Topic#1591133)
flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Evidently my scraproom has been a hot topic amongst my daughter & husband. In particular, how much I must have spent on everything in the room, including furnature, paper, embellies, containers, etc. I'm an empty nester who used to love to garden, but my asthma & knees have gotten so bad the last several years I have to hire someone to do the upkeep. I don't plant, or spend, a 1/4 of what I used to. I took up scrapbooking again almost 2 years ago. I used to have to scrap in our dining room, which meant having to clear off the table whenver the kids came home for a meal. For Christmas last year my husband bought me a craft table & 2 corner shelf units, & this spring we cleared out the rest of our daughter things from her small bedroom, which is now where I scrap. I LOVE IT!!! I think I deserve it & all that is in it! My husband has a $1,200 bicycle that he rides daily & has to have bi-annual maintainance work. Their comments make me mad, & feel guilty...why can't they just be happy for me that I have a hobby I love, can be done indoors & helps ease my boredom?

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to flwrgrl

Perhaps if they saw what you just wrote, they would understand.

I'm very fortunate that my husband has always been more than supportive of my scrapping and the kids love it, too. My husband is much more dangerous in a scrap store than I am...he will spend MANY more $$$ for supplies for me than I ever would. When we set up my scraproom, HE was the one that was spending the $$ to "get it right", while I was trying to do things on the cheap. I think it's because he really understands that I need my scrapping time...it's my therapy and relaxation. When the kids were little, he would INSIST that I go to the weekly crops at the LSS. I would try to tell him we didn't need to spend the money for that or I was too tired to go, but he would carry my cropper hoppers out to the car and tell me that I was a much better person to be around after I had gone to the weekly crop. (I was a sahm, we lived in VA and he worked at the Pentagon, so 5 days a week he was gone from very early in the morning until evening and I was home with the baby and the two elementary aged kids, so I probably was very grouchy and stressed out by the weekend.)

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to flwrgrl

Your DD and HER husband, or your DD and YOUR husband? I'm presuming you mean her DH!

If you can afford it and you have the space for it, it's none of their business what you do. It's your money, your time, your space, your fun. Maybe they choose to spend their money on drinking beer, or movies, or sports. If they can afford it and it makes them happy, that's none of your business. Unless it's causing a problem, I don't know why people seem to think that the cost of other people's choice of entertainment is up for debate.

I also don't think you should feel obliged to defend your choice or give them any explanations. Their problem, not yours.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to RedSquirrel UK

• RedSquirrel Said:
Your DD and HER husband, or your DD and YOUR husband? I'm presuming you mean her DH!

If you can afford it and you have the space for it, it's none of their business what you do. It's your money, your time, your space, your fun. Maybe they choose to spend their money on drinking beer, or movies, or sports. If they can afford it and it makes them happy, that's none of your business. Unless it's causing a problem, I don't know why people seem to think that the cost of other people's choice of entertainment is up for debate.

I also don't think you should feel obliged to defend your choice or give them any explanations. Their problem, not yours.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with that.

Amen, sister!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

I don't know what to say. I feel so bad for you.

Whenever Bill has started to say anything I cut him off at the pass and thank him for all the wonderful trips and vacation. I let him know I scrap so I can remember every minute of the things we've done together.

Then I show him a page that I'm scrapping of something we've done together or the grandkids and he will re-focus on that.

Once in a while he will say, "Don't you think this is getting out of control - just a little?" I tell him, "Possibly, but we have so many great memories that I want to document in my scrapbooks. Someday your kids and mine will get the books and I want them to look nice for them.

And when we get old and can't go to these places anymore we will have our memories in these books.

He knows that what I'm scrapping is our memories together because I love him and I think that makes a big difference. It helps a lot that I make a big deal out of it when I scrap something about someone on his side of the family - he really seems to appreciate that and likes to show them.

I've made this less about my hobby and my scrapping and more about preserving our memories for both of us. That seems to help a lot.

He carries things to the car for my crops, unloads the car, shares my scraproom with me (he has a desk and computer in here) and although he isn't interested in scrapping - he likes what I do.

I think sharing the room with him helps too - he isn't cut out of my life when I'm scrapping.

It may sound manipulative but it is true. I really do scrap for both of us. For the hobby and creative outlet for me and for the memories for both of us when we get older.

Edited by Henri Jean on 09-26-13 07:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to dsouza

My daughter & MY husband (her Dad) I don't go to movies, I don't go clothes shopping, I don't go 'out with the girls', or out drinking. I go to work & to church & that's it! I buy nothing for SB that isn't either on sale or on clearance. I'm tempted to show my husband other Scrap-Rooms that are GORGEOUS & look like a buotique!

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to flwrgrl

Griping here is good, and may help you feel better. But if it doesn't, you should definitely talk to your husband and let him know why it is important to you, and why his attitude upsets you. I know I have trouble understanding a hobby/collection that my husband has, and I have to work hard not to belittle it to him. If your husband knew you were upset, he would probably make an effort to understand and not kibitz with your daughter about it.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68
In response to Frau_Cooney

I don't think it's their business what you choose to do with your fun money. It would be different if you were spending money your family needed for bills/food.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to justowen

Oh my, I feel guilty sometimes but my husband just bought a new truck, trailer and ATV and everything that goes with that. I drive a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport. He best not say anything. I don't spend much on clothes or anything for the house because we don't need anything.

My knees are terrible now and I don't garden anymore. We will be paying for THAT.

EmahB
EmahB 
Expert
EmahB
  • EmahB on 09-26-13 10:30 AM
In response to CrimsonMama

I agree with the others.... YOU work so you can enjoy life (scrapping)... You shouldn't feel guilty for this. Maybe the others need to find a hobby of their own and not worry so much about what you're doing.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to EmahB

So for a week, I've been dealing with ants in the kitchen. You name it I've done it. Then today, my golden - doodle goes outside and digs in the mud (it rained all day yesterday). Has so much mud clumped up on his feet that he actually altered me to the fact with a gesture when I was letting him back in the house. He knew he was going to be in trouble. So I take him to the front and washed his feet with the hose pipe. This is after I have torn up the kitchen again and silicone grout the backspash and cleaned the screen porch with soapy ammonia.

In the meantime, my husband emails me from work to expect a part for his ATV to be arriving.

I think I am pulling the trigger on my wish list today.

HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You are funny - did you get pictures?

I'm working on scanning layouts today - doing current ones for Greece a few months ago, and am in the middle of our first book from 2006. Boy, is it bringing up some great memories scanning it!

Got about 30 pages of our first book (about 85 pages) and I can email it to have it printed.

Got 27 more books to scan in! YIKES!

Learned how to heat emboss a few days ago. One of my scrappy girlfriends came over and showed me how with Bill watching. He thought it was funny - didn't understand why I didn't just grab the hair blower. She mentioned that her husband keeps taking her Stampin Up heat gun in the garage to use it. I can already hear the wheels grinding in my husband's head thinking about what he will use it for. He's better not touch it! MINE!!! (Or it will be when the order comes in.)

Oh - back to the point - now that I can heat emboss I'm ready to use the drippy blood stamp to do those Transylvania layouts soon - want to get the scanning further along first so I can give family members books for Christmas.

I told Joe he could pick out about 100 of his favorites of him, his cousins, his brother and niece and I'd have them printed for him and he likes that idea.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to Henri Jean

Oh my! I am still scanning photos from our albums. I have organized about 5000 but still have about 10 albums that will require, UNDO, hairdryer and elbow grease.

You got your work cut out for you Henri!

SO IN THE MEANTIME:

Not only did the part for my husband's ATV come, but his DEER STAND just showed up as well.

Adding to wish list as we speak.

YEAH COME'ON!

3LittleLadies
Resident
3LittleLadies
In response to flwrgrl

• flwrgrl Said:
I'm tempted to show my husband other Scrap-Rooms that are GORGEOUS & look like a buotique!

You should! Even though my husband is supportive of my hobby I have shown my him some of the scrap rooms I've seen online that look like stores.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to 3LittleLadies

if it desn't get in their way why should they grip . you enjoy it it makes you happy that in itself should be enough. you have your toys they have theirs.

I know where you come from i get this from my sister all the time. When I have the money I spend it the way i want. the bills get paid first I use what's left over the way i want.

She even complaines on how many photos i take. it doesn't get in her way what does it matter how many phoots i take. it's the digital age it's not like i'm spending all my time getting photos developed and storing them someplace in her way and yet i don't get to say a word about what she does.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to cescrapper

• Quote:

She even complaines on how many photos i take. it doesn't get in her way what does it matter how many phoots i take. it's the digital age it's not like i'm spending all my time getting photos developed and storing them someplace in her way and yet i don't get to say a word about what she does.

Ok, at LEAST my husband like photography and gave me a great Nikon camera. Of course, that was his, he had to upgrade!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl

Well, I have a pretty intense job that can be uber stressful at times & I've found that scrapping relaxes me & gets my mind off of problems/issues that are bugging me. I just get lost in that LO world for hours so...I figure scrapping is cheaper than a therapist right?? Wait til I tell them I'm ready for an embossing machine! That should push 'em right over the edge!

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to flwrgrl

Some people just like to hate on others who are finding some joy in their lives! I am blessed. My husband fully supports my hobbies. He will help me load up the car, unload the car. He's even driven 45 minutes one way to a weekend crop to bring me paper that I had just bought that I forgot to pack and thought I just couldn't live without for the weekend! He gives me gift certificates for scrapbooking supplies. He bought my first original Cricut for me as a Christmas present after I told him that I would like to have one but I thought it was just too expensive! When I took up cake decorating classes he went out and bought me a KitchenAid stand mixer which I have wanted my entire adult life! Just as a surprise. Now, some of you are probably hating on me, too!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to dsouza

Oh that Kitchen Aid is divine!

Yes, it is good therapy. I hope everyone's families 'get it' at some point and appreciate it.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to flwrgrl

• flwrgrl Said:
Well, I have a pretty intense job that can be uber stressful at times & I've found that scrapping relaxes me & gets my mind off of problems/issues that are bugging me. I just get lost in that LO world for hours so...I figure scrapping is cheaper than a therapist right?? Wait til I tell them I'm ready for an embossing machine! That should push 'em right over the edge!

Don't tell them about the machine. Could be they are jealous; maybe he as he feels like he's lost time with you and with Daughter; maybe same reason or you her mom is not spending money on her like in the past. What do you think? could it be jealousy?

Hubby and I have always had allowances to spend as we want to without questioning the other person or even sharing it. (nothing illegal of course).. I get a package and it goes straight to my room; he doesn't eve see what it is.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

My KitchenAide is red and I absolutely adore it. Sometimes I clean it even when it doesn't need to be cleaned just so I can touch it!

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
When I took up cake decorating classes he went out and bought me a KitchenAid stand mixer which I have wanted my entire adult life! Just as a surprise. Now, some of you are probably hating on me, too!

No me; I have one and have had it for 35 years... it's a workhorse. I too bought it when took up cake decorating.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to dsouza

• dsouza Said:
My KitchenAide is red and I absolutely adore it. Sometimes I clean it even when it doesn't need to be cleaned just so I can touch it!

ohhh that red is pretty. The choices when I bought mine were: White.. whoopee. haha

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to Sunnydi

Yes, there probably is some jealousy on my husbands part. He wants me in the same room with him, even though my room is right next to twhere he is. Sometimes I'll take a mini project in where he is & work on it there. But, honestly, I can't concentrate because he talks the entire time I'm in there. I enjoy my alone/me time. He rides for 1-1/2 hours every day while I'm still at work-that's his alone time. I don't have that luxury. I don't scrap every day: far from it. As for my daughter, I still spend plenty on her, even though she's been married for 2-1/2 years now. She just graduated from college in May.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sunnydi

When I got my Big Shot for embossing my husband thought it was so cool - he took the folding money out of his wallet and asked me to emboss it. For months he spent money with stars and Hawaiian Monstera leaves embossed on them!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to flwrgrl

• flwrgrl Said:
Yes, there probably is some jealousy on my husbands part. He wants me in the same room with him, even though my room is right next to twhere he is. Sometimes I'll take a mini project in where he is & work on it there. But, honestly, I can't concentrate because he talks the entire time I'm in there. I enjoy my alone/me time. He rides for 1-1/2 hours every day while I'm still at work-that's his alone time. I don't have that luxury. I don't scrap every day: far from it. As for my daughter, I still spend plenty on her, even though she's been married for 2-1/2 years now. She just graduated from college in May.

That's it. My husband likes down time when he comes home from work but I try to also be aware of when he likes me to be in the family room. We watch a lot of football right now together. So sometimes, if I'm scrapping and he comes around I say, "do you mind that I am back here?" He always is ok with it, but it sort of lets him buy off on it. I might be scraping or I might be working on ancestry research.

Maybe you daughter thought you would keep her room the same. Hurt feelings? It sounds silly so she wouldn't probably admit it.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68

• cescrapper Said:
if it desn't get in their way why should they grip . you enjoy it it makes you happy that in itself should be enough. you have your toys they have theirs.

I know where you come from i get this from my sister all the time. When I have the money I spend it the way i want. the bills get paid first I use what's left over the way i want.

I think some people just like to pee in others Cheerios. Maybe she needs a hobby.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to HerHighness68

If my husband were to even breath a word in my direction about my scrapping I'd cut him off at the pass real quick, just by mentioning his many hobbies that are way more expensive and time consuming than mine. Thankfully he came to that conclusion all on his own and I didn't have to be mean.

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to olleharr

My husband really doesn't understand my scrapbooking mania, but he keeps quiet about it. He has a garage and barn full of (expensive) tools and other stuff that I've never made a peep about. We have two empty bedrooms that would make perfect scraprooms, but I stay in my corner of the living room so I'm "with" him when he's in the house. I think that's the main thing. Sometimes they feel abandoned when we are busy creating!

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to NMscrapper

Yes, my daughter even said, "I don't have a room anymore." Even though she's been moved out (except the stuff that didn't go to college with her) for 5 years now & been married 2-1/2. Life goes on. I'm not one to keep 'shrines' of rooms that are much-needed space & can get used daily instead of once a year. She & her husband are in camp ministries, Poland for 6 months, Iowa for a year, etc. We have NO idea where they will 'land' or when they'll put down permanent roots. It's their calling & I accepted that long ago. But THIS is how I cope with it! Having grown children has it's own set of challenges, doesn't it????

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to flwrgrl

• flwrgrl Said:
Having grown children has it's own set of challenges, doesn't it????

So very, very true!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to dsouza

I took over my oldest daughter's old room for a scraproom too. I agree that it is wasted space put to good use. I don't feel guilty about it one bit. My daughter has her life she's living and I have mine. The only shrine here is the memories I'm preserving in my scrapbooks. She can come home anytime and thumb through the years with me....and then go sleep on the couch.

Edited by olleharr on 09-27-13 07:18 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran
In response to Sunnydi

Apparently your DD doesn't live at home any more, so why should she care what you do? Does it really bother your DH or is he just going along with your daughter? I remember one incident with my mother when I was telling a better way to do something. She told me to go handle things at my house across town and let her handle things at hers. I have laughed so many times about that one statement. I now use it on my DD.

New Kid On the Block
In response to justowen

Awe that really sucks. I know how that feels, my fiancé likes hunting and just the general sport of shooting and has several guns and gear etc But anything I seem to get into, is seemingly excessive in his eyes. I just very recently got my own craft room as well. Like you, I had previously done my work and stored everything on a shelf near our dining room table. It got so cluttered he eventually agreed I did indeed need my own space. Now that I have it though, it's been a very slow process to actually make it a useful space because I don't have much to organize things. For Christmas he's supposed to be making me some shelves and a ribbon dowl (sp?) etc He thinks I have way too much stuff and I think you can never have too much crafting stuff the more you have the more projects you can do without having to go get stuff just to match inks or having the right flower or embellishment. Shop all the time well no lol but gradually building a large amount of crafting supplies just opens the doors to so many possibilities. Alot of times I will see something I like or more often see paper and I get it even if I don't plan on using it for awhile. Just so that WHEN that mood strikes it's there to use here's hoping they lighten up a bit (or alot!) your entitled to your own space, free time and hobbys! And crafting is an ever evolving learning process it seems, plus a wonderful way to share your hobby/talent with others.

flwrgrl
Veteran
flwrgrl
In response to MyCraftyAddiction

I look at it this way...the first 50 years of my life I lived & did for everyone else-and was happy to do it. But now, I NEED THIS! I've worked my whole teenage & adult life, have been frugal about everything except our daughters' wedding, & now I'm ready to do something that gives me satification & pleasure. I tell my husband all the time, I'm over 21, I don't have to ask permission:)

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to flwrgrl

That is exactly the philosophy of the red hat society! We took care of husbands and babies, then children and teenagers. We helped with homework, did bake sales, worked with brownies, cub scouts, boy scouts, girl scouts. We were there for every fund drive and candy sale. When you get to red hat age, which is 50 (pink hatters are younger) the whole purpose is to have fun yourself. And we did have fun! I hated to leave my chapter in Atlanta - I was a Queen Mother with 50 ladies!

I would go crazy if I had to ask permission - I wouldn't do it (ask permission)! I can be stubborn. However I do crave encouragement and support.

Expert
In response to flwrgrl

Kinda funmy about the remarks about how much things cost. Just this past weekend, my adult son was visiting from out of state. When he saw my "collection of border punches" in particular, he said, "Geez mom, you must have a couple of thousand in these punches alone! I chuckled to myself...and quickly did a little addition in my head...Not quite that much, I said..lol.

HerHighness68
Idol
HerHighness68

• Henri Jean Said:
That is exactly the philosophy of the red hat society! We took care of husbands and babies, then children and teenagers. We helped with homework, did bake sales, worked with brownies, cub scouts, boy scouts, girl scouts. We were there for every fund drive and candy sale. When you get to red hat age, which is 50 (pink hatters are younger) the whole purpose is to have fun yourself. And we did have fun! I hated to leave my chapter in Atlanta - I was a Queen Mother with 50 ladies!

I would go crazy if I had to ask permission - I wouldn't do it (ask permission)! I can be stubborn. However I do crave encouragement and support.

My mother (who is in her early 50s and had me young ) calls this period the the F you 50s. Meaning she is no longer going to shy away from speaking her mind and doing things for herself. She has earned this and it's long overdue, I agree

Edited by HerHighness68 on 09-27-13 09:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Veteran

• Henri Jean Said:
When I got my Big Shot for embossing my husband thought it was so cool - he took the folding money out of his wallet and asked me to emboss it. For months he spent money with stars and Hawaiian Monstera leaves embossed on them!

I laughed SO HARD when I read this! How cute.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

• Henri Jean Said:

My sentiments, exactly!!! I make my own money, I spend my own money and I don't apologize for it! This is my second marriage (22 years!) and I'm married because I choose to be married - not because I need someone to support me or be my boss. Okay, I'll get off this soapbox!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SunnyAB

My husband is a handful and cannot be left alone. He leaves me and all my friends laughing at all times. I was told once that he didn't need a wife - he needed a keeper because he gets into everything.

We were on a cruise ship once and he was going to a military retirement thing and I was going to a scrapbook class given by the cruiseship director. I got to class and before it started he slipped in next to me before my class started and told me mine sounded like more fun. Plus, I'm sure he loved being in the room full of women.

The man started the class (about 40 of 50 ladies) by asking, "Why do we scapook?"

My husband raised his hand. The only one so he got called on. He said, "The ladies scrapbook so they can have fun spending money."

The ladies laughed but the cruiseship guy said, "No sir, we scrap to preserve our memories and have a good time being creative.

Then he held up an implement and asked, "What is this?"

Again, my husband was the only one with his hand raised. I was surprised because I didn't know what it was - no idea at all."

So, he called on my husband. My husband replied, "It is a marital aid."

The room broke into hysterics and when the guy he calmed down a bit he said, "Uh... no sir. It's a paper crimper."

He then took a scrap of paper and ran it through to demonstrate. My husband raised his hand and asked if he could try it.

The guy seemed pleased my husband was going to be too busy to ask or answer questions so he let him play with the crimper.

Bill make the prettiest dollar bills - or he thought they were pretty - he crimped everything in his wallet. Then he asked me for any money I had so he could crimp it.

However, the embossed money was much cooler.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza

That's hilarious, Henri Jean!!! Your husband sounds like a hoot and a half! I'm sure there's never a dull moment at your house!

My husband is a quiet, reserved person until you get to know him. And I've never met a stranger! We're opposite in so many ways but it works for us. I think the main thing is that we respect each other and value the traits that we each have. He is so very, very good to let me be me and never holds me back. I'm a lucky woman!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dsouza

You are very lucky indeed!

Bill is outgoing and never met a stranger. I'm actually a bit more reserved than him but not by much!

Bill is the one who gets on his Segway every Thurs morning after the garbage truck has been here and rides around several blocks and takes everyone's garbage back to the place it goes, or if it goes behind a locked gate he takes it to the gate so people don't have to come home and deal with moving their trash cans.

He's the one who runs out if he sees the mailman or claw trash pickup driver and runs out with a cold soft drink for them.

When our street was torn up for sewer a few years ago they had crews in front of our house for 2 weeks. Every morning Bill got up early and put a cooler on our curb full of soft drinks and bottled water and kept it filled for them. One day Bill overslept and was late putting the cooler out. It was only an hour later than normal but the crew chief came over to Bill and told him, "thank you so much - the guys appreciate the cooler you set out every day and the cold drinks. They also love to put their lunch in the cooler to keep them cold. Today they were disappointed they would have to eat their lunch warm after being in the sun all day."

A tree fell on a neighbors shed recently and took down power lines. The fire department was at the house - I saw Bill come home - he went back with Cokes and bottled water for all the fireman and country tree cutters.

Bill is a very good guy - very generous and right there to help. When there is a storm he checks on all the older neighbors and then he and Joe get their chainsaws and cut trees and limbs up. Even if Bill doesn't know them, he and Joe volunteer to do lawn cleanup for them.

Sometimes its frustrating when he is a block away chopping down someone's dead tree for them so it won't fall and hurt them and I need him for something. But, that is Bill.

Veteran

Henri Jean - that is just so sweet - what your hubby does for people, as well as all his antics - and your support and admiration for him is great, even though at times it may be a bit annoying to share him. I think I've told you this before, but I absolutely love reading your posts. You really should write a book with all your adventures because you have been so many places and your style of writing makes me feel like I am right there! So easy to read and enjoy. Plus, your hubby gives you ENDLESS material! LOL

Edited by SunnyAB on 09-28-13 09:04 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mrsrogers52513
Pro
mrsrogers52513
In response to SunnyAB

My husband isn't crazy about the money I spend on scrapbooking, but he is supportive. He doesn't understand why I need so much "stuff", but he always says that when we move I can have my own room and do what I want with it, etc.

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to mrsrogers52513

My scraproom does look like a store, actually, but it's taken me years and years of saving and planning to get it that way. Yes, I've spent, [small voice] thousands [/small voice] of dollars on my hobby, but it does make me happy. And DH and my boys say, "When momma's ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". We're not from the South, heh, it's just one of those old truisms, I guess

DH hunts, DS has his computer system, and I have my scrapping. It's a good thing to have interests other than work and day-to-day living, I think.

Edited by heidihug on 09-28-13 02:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to heidihug

My dh says nothing about it unless I have spent a lot in one month. I try to space it out. I have enough stuff to open a store too but who cares!

My mother did nothing for herself FOR YEARS. She wore our hand me downs, didn't even want to go to the MD for her eye when it was bothering her because my father was not nice about the money being spent. Good thing she did because she had cancer!! She died five years later and never got to do or spend the money on the things she wanted to do.

We have savings but live for the now. We do not go on fancy vacations or have expensive cars. My hobby is what keeps me sane.

I hope your daughter and your husband will understand. It sounds like you need to sit down and talk to them about it. Maybe if you explain things like you did here, they would see it all differently.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Just Nora

Thank you SunnyAB - you are so kind. Your post meant a lot to me. I love to journal and I know it keeps my layouts from looking really pretty but I would not enjoy making the pages if I didn't tell the story to go with the pictures.

My mother was very good about doing for the family but she also took care of herself. She made all her clothes but they were gorgeous. She could have made clothes for royalty! She was that good.

When it was decided that she had to go back to work - no choice, the family needed the money she had her terms. A cleaning woman one day a week. So, we had a cleaning woman every Thursday for most of my life. She was very serious - she would work but her church tithes and the cleaning lady came off the top of her paychecks. My dad knew better than to say a word!

We vacation a lot but they are not expensive vacations. My husband is retired military so we take military hops and stay on military bases which I love so I'm happy and it gets us all over the world. He is the king at finding cheap cruises.

He is at his desk behind me and just told me he wants to do a cruise from Nov 24 - Dec 22nd around South America and into the Amazon. We've held off on this cruise because we have done so many of the South American ports but it does look good and the price is right. Plus our visas to Brazil expire the end of this year so we would like to use them again. But he said it looks like we will probably do this one.

I like that it isn't until Nov 24th and that gives me time to catch up on all the pages from the last trip and the family stuff that is accumulating. I would love to be caught up when we left.

However, I seem to spend all my time scanning pages. I have book 1 complete except I have a few more pages to do from when we were teenagers and I'm trying to get the photos restored first.

I'm scanning the second book and when it is done in a couple days I'll quit scanning until I finish the pages for the first and get them mailed off to see how the finished book looks.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper

my sister used to scrapbook she hasn't in long time and yet she has all these supplies that just sit in bins and in a cabinet doing nothing with them. i would love to have all this paper and other things but it won't happen until she's ready. UGH!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Oh how frustrating!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Maybe she would consider selling some of them to you.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics