Username Post: You're in trouble when...        (Topic#1591295)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

....you start hiding sb.com pkgs from the person you live with. (Am i the only one who does this?)

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to bonprof

Nope, he gets as excited as I do to open the boxes. We just went through a big box that arrived from sb this morning. Lots of the new DCWV pads...corrugated, fabric, burlap, silkies, plus lots of other stuff.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bonprof

I don't do that but... I sometimes think to myself...how do I explain another package when it comes??? LOL! For the most part he doesn't say anything, doesn't care how I spend our money because he knows I always pay the bills even doubling payments on certain bills. In fact he says I do an excellent job w/ our money and he doesn't know how I am able to do it w/ the little that we make! However, after many packages keep showing up at our door I start to think, maybe I need to take a break! LOL!
I have 2 kits in my SB.com cart right now and I'm trying to decide whther I should press the buy button?!?
I win alot on blog challenges so sometimes I think he just thinks it's a prize.
And I'm okay w/ him thiniking that

Edited by Doreena on 10-02-13 02:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Doreena

I live with my daughter, age 27 who says I'm obsessed.

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bonprof

Yeah? Well what do kids know?!

Edited by Doreena on 10-02-13 04:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to bonprof

Oh I used to, but I will never do it again. My husband always has stuff coming to the house and recently just bought a new truck, ATV and trailer, and of course everything that goes with that. He is nuts.

I double dare him to say anything about the little boxes I get. I don't even come close!

I'm shopping as we speak...........

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to CrimsonMama

• CrimsonMama Said:
Oh I used to, but I will never do it again. My husband always has stuff coming to the house and recently just bought a new truck, ATV and trailer, and of course everything that goes with that. He is nuts.

I double dare him to say anything about the little boxes I get. I don't even come close!

I'm shopping as we speak...........

Well when you put it in that perspective, well then how can you feel guilty?!
My hubby doesn't spend much on himself. He hates spending money, but doesn't mind if the kids or I do it. He's a weirdo!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Doreena

Nope, I'm always so excited about my packages that I show all the contents to my husband whether he wants to see them or not.

Besides, I couldn't do it even if I wanted to - we commute to work and back home together every day; there'd be no opportunity to conceal the box that's always delivered to the porch clearly visible from the street, and no opportunity to bring it inside.

I have no interest in feeling guilty about what I buy, and self-induced guilt about my purchases is only one of the many pieces of emotional baggage that hiding stuff would bring with it.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to aquabunny

I'll agree with some of you that I'm my own guilt-inducer. Hubby doesn't care. If we go to J's or somewhere, he fills up the cart faster than I do, but sometimes I start thinking that I'm probably getting a bit carried away and then I stop ordering for a while. But when my self-imposed freeze is over, get out of my way...my online cart is barreling through! :>)

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to mrsdriver5

No My dh spends more money on his hobbies than I do. He has to make me spend money sometimes. I never spend money we don't have and all bills are paid before I shop so im good.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to andrea m

I do. I figure why open up that can of worms. LOL! He doesn't need to know everything.

GwynnAsbury
Veteran
GwynnAsbury
In response to olleharr

I did it once, and it was so hurtful to my husband I would never go it again. Because of my work schedule he often gets home and sees the package before I do. The last few I have come home to them all laid out nicely and perfectly aligned, and the minute I step in the door he says "come show me what you got, I want to see what you got."

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GwynnAsbury

I have my own social security check and that is my spending money plus I can get more out of the bank if I want it. He doesn't mind that I buy, just wants me to shop around and get the best prices on things. He appreciates it when Joanns or Michaels or Hobby Lobby have the 40% off or 50% off coupons or when punches or scrapbooks are marked way down. He also appreciates that I wait for free shipping days to order.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

It would be a bit hard to hide anyway since my little habit seems to be overtaking the house :>) It must multiply by itself. I surely couldn't have actually purchased it all! :>)

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to mrsdriver5

Hiding sb.c packages? Nope. Until DH finds a way to hide his expensive corvette, I'm good.

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to Luvmyfam

What CrimsonMama said!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Luvmyfam

No. I mostly check with him before I order. If we can't afford it, he tells me and I wait until we can. That seems such an alien concept to most people these days, but that's how we were both brought up.

The only things I hide from him are gifts for his birthday and Christmas. And that's HARD!

Veteran
In response to RedSquirrel UK

My DH doesn't care, because he just spent $62K for a new pickup. That justifies scrap supplies for the rest of my life!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to Mimiof123

• Mimiof123 Said:
My DH doesn't care, because he just spent $62K for a new pickup. That justifies scrap supplies for the rest of my life!

Edited by Doreena on 10-03-13 07:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to Doreena

I certainly don't go out of my way to tell him every little thing I buy...but it's pretty obvious because of how my scrappy space keeps expanding! When he does see a box (empty or full) and asks what it is I don't lie to him. I also take care of all of the finances so I know when it's ok and when it's not (he makes it...I spend it! But that includes the mortgage, utilities, food, clothes, toiletries, etc...)

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to HuskerMom98

• HuskerMom98 Said:
I certainly don't go out of my way to tell him every little thing I buy...but it's pretty obvious because of how my scrappy space keeps expanding! When he does see a box (empty or full) and asks what it is I don't lie to him. I also take care of all of the finances so I know when it's ok and when it's not (he makes it...I spend it! But that includes the mortgage, utilities, food, clothes, toiletries, etc...)

Exactly!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

I did! sort of, but I caved in and before it arrived confessed that i had a fist time online purchase coming in the mail soon! He ....FREEEEKED!!! Probably should not of spend that money at that time but over now. The last spending money i had recently i spent on clothes and shoes!!! sort of taking a creative break!!! SORT OF DO NOT QUOTE ME-Ha ha

Stephanie47
Tenant
Stephanie47
In response to mindygail

I take care of our finances so when my husband sees me scrapbook shopping he trusts we can afford it - I let him think that way

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to bonprof

This is turning out to be a great conversation.
I just love all you people!!

Doreena
Governor
Doreena
In response to bonprof

Yes! Part of the fun of SB.com is the conversations we have w/ each other... it's not ALWAYS about scrapping but also about connecting w/ others!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Doreena

We don't have any bills except for utilities and insurances - that kind of thing. Cell phones - stuff you can't get out from under. Internet.

Those come out of our checking accounts so no one pays bills. We just know what comes in and goes out and it has worked for us that way for 5 years. That way when we are out of the country for months at a time we don't have to worry about bills.

However, a few months ago I did check one of our checking accounts and was surprised to see electricity bills coming out twice every month since March. We rented a house and Bill didn't go to the electric company to have the power turned off in our name so they could switch it on in theirs so we paid almost $400 a month for their electricity since March. For 7 months. Unfortunately I don't think we will see a dime of it back and now they keep putting it off putting it in their name so we are paying their electricity now. GRRRRRRRR! Bill won't throw them out because they do some odd and end jobs for him on other rentals. He says they will catch it up but every month they get further behind! Tomorrow another $400 gets drafted out of our account for their electricity!

Bill just says not to worry about it, it isn't a problem, they will pay when they can.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Money for bills and joint savings (gift fund, vacation fund, car maintenance fund, etc.) comes directly out of our paychecks, a pre-set amount direct deposited into a joint account. What's left after that is direct-deposited into our individual accounts to do with as we please. I maintain a healthy cushion in mine, yet I buy stuff infrequently (I agonize sometimes over purchases of just a dollar or two, "do i really need this?"), and the only guilt I get from shopping is some concern about adding more "stuff" (my own concern - not his). I need no one's permission to buy stuff; almost every time I place an order, I need to be talked INTO making the purchase.

Hobby purchases simply don't come out of the same pool of money that's used to pay bills - not even out of the same bank. Vacations do, because that's a column in the accounting for our joint account, and baseball tickets typically come out of either vacation or petty cash - but those are joint decisions anyway.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to aquabunny

Live alone so no hiding! Love love getting boxes

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

If I ever felt like I had to hide my packages that would be a huge red flag for me that I'm overspending. I don't really care what other people think about my purchases, but I care about my wallet...lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Crafting Marfa

I'm know I'm not overspending for my budget, my scrap stuff fits right in nicely with no problems. Sometimes when I go a while without ordering everything and then order a good bit at once it overwhelms me and I'm sure it looks to my husband that I have really overspent and wonder how he views all my new purchases!

It has to look to him like I'm overspending but he never says anything. He's very supportive and is pleased that I enjoy the new scrap stuff. But sometimes I really don't like him to see the boxes come not because I've overspent but because I've ordered a lot at the same time and it looks like I've spent a lot - and I have. But I may not have bought anything for a couple weeks.

He asked me last night if I was having fun with my social security checks. I told him I was having a ball with them - and with his too! However, my spending habits are the identical same way as they were before I started getting social security checks, I just justify it now as being my reward for getting old!

Veteran

I don't do it with scrapbook packages. I just hurry to my room and put them there. No one could tell if anything new appears in there. However, shoes are another story. I leave them in the trunk of my car for a while before putting them in the closet. I also throw all of the boxes away at the store!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Crafting Marfa

Yes, the truth is...i spend too much money period. I need to make some changes.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 10-05-13 08:25 PM
In response to bonprof

I usually can't wait to show DH what I got. He knows I get stuff all the time... he usually gets home before me and sends me a text when I get a new package (ha, like I didn't already know because I kept refreshing the Tracking page until it showed delivered).

However, I go to HL several days a week during lunch and might pick up one or two things, or sometimes a lot. I don't usually go out of my way to show him all the bags I bring in the house, but I certainly don't hide them either.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

I make my own money, as does he, and I dont nag him a bit about what he spends it on, be it, hunting, fishing supplies, stuff for the 4-wheelers, the motorcycle or tools to fill up his pretty Snap-On tool box. So if I want to buy paper,or whatever, he knows better than to say a word about it. I keep myself accountable with a friendly "wager" I have with another scrapper on how much we could spend in a year, and its not even one trip to Advance Auto for truck/bike/4 wheeler supplies, or fishing supplies for a season.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to ScrappyMama6

Considering my husband and I share a bank account, I couldn't hide a package from him if I tried. Not that I would. I'd think there'd be bigger issues than just a rogue scrapbook purchase if things need to be hidden.
But like someone else said, I'd only hide birthday and Christmas presents from him so he can be surprised.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to fknapoleon

For the record, i hid one pkg from my daughter so she wouldnt think i was psyco scrapper. I didnt feel good about it. Ive cut back on spending. Its my hobby and i am proud of it. No more hiding!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

Good for you! If I felt like I had to hide things I would be miserable and would cut back spending.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics