Username Post: Digital Scanners        (Topic#1591473)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I am getting more and more interested in digi scrapping. Don't know why except that I think the pages are so perfect! And so much you can do with them.

Got photoshop - no idea what to do with it other than scan and stitch current layouts.

Have been researching to try to find a tutor to help me learn to use it for scrapbooking. Easier than trying to figure it out by myself. The tutors are about $50 an hour and I'd rather do that and get going with it.

Also want to order some digi downloads but I don't know where to download them to in my computer.

And - the reason for this post - does anyone know anything about which digital scanners are the best? Some are the size of pens. When we are on vacations and I'm sitting around the cabin or in a hotel room I can scan in ticket stubs and things and even do some pages if I can scan my memorabilia.

I'm confused by all the portable scanners - some appear to be about the size of a ruler! Will easily fit in to my computer bag but I don't know which ones are good and which ones aren't. Any advice?

Tammy? Carolyn? Kara? Gelidy? (Sorry about all of you great digi scrappers I didn't mention - just listed the people who came to my mind really quickly who do digitals I love.) Any of you others who do beautiful digi layouts? Especially if you are famjiliar with Photoshop since I think that is the way I want to go.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Henri Jean

Hi Henri~I've been thinking that you should go digi since you're wanting to make printed books. It's all flat anyway, then. I so wish I had gone digi, but now I have too much invested in supplies to quit paper-scrapping.

I bought two portable scanners back in 2009. I'm not sure where I put either one of them. I did carry one around on trips, but didn't use it much except to scan wedding pictures when we visited our son. He kept promising pictures and I gave up and scanned them myself :>)

For tickets, etc., I would guess I'd be happy with them. For scanning "real" pictures, I wasn't so happy. Definitely not the quality of my real scanner. I have a DSMobile 600 and a Pandigital Photolink. I don't know if either one are still made. I think the DS one is the one I took on trips and is about the size of a thick ruler. When traveling, you want to take the calibration card with you, but it's just a thin cardboard.

Would I buy them again? I'd probably buy one to use like you want to, but not two. I had thought Hubby and I could both scan together...we have LOTS of photos to scan, but the quality took me so long to edit, that it's easier to just scan with my big scanner.

Some scoff at the digi scrapping, but I think I actually spent more time on a page than I did with paper. I don't really use kits. I'm in a club and get some gorgeous ones, but I still mix-&-match, or make my own things. With paper, once things are glued down, it usually stays :>) Digi, I have to force myself to stop and be OK with a page. I always try things a different way because I just might like it better. It takes discipline to stop and be happy with what you have...but also very easy to go back and play a bit and have a second page made just a bit differently...maybe with different people's photos used, but with the same LO.

Sorry...didn't mean to be this long!~Judy

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-09-13 02:53 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

Honestly, I've found that for the most part my camera takes better pictures than any reasonably priced scanner will, especially if there's any dimension at all to the item. I rarely use my scanner any more. DH uses it sometimes for scanning actual film slides and 35mm stuff. If I were making a photobook I'd use my camera to take pics of the LOs, then crop and do simple adjustments in PhotoShop.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to stick

I agree, Stick. I tried the scanning, but ended out with shadowed areas that I'd have to fix and I was just never that happy with them, especially after all the time it took. Anything with much dimension was a real pain. Once I found a way/place that works for me, I'm much happier using my camera. If I'm doing a bunch at a time, I set a tripod up, so I don't shake the camera. Otherwise I use the self-timer so the camera doesn't move when I click the "shoot" button.

That's another perk of doing digi scrapping. You have a perfect LO all ready to easily upload.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I am very happy with the scanned layouts right now. I take them with the camera and the light is never right, I angle it when I don't mean to - just really unhappy with what I do with the camera when I take photos of my layouts.

I got the first book back today and I am very happy with the results.

I even scanned a page or two with flowers and heavy embellies and I really like the results! I guess I need to look at some I scanned and compare it to ones I took photos of and see how they do side by side. That might be a good idea.

I want the portable scanner for scanning in tickets and memorabilia - not photos. The pictures are in my computer already so the only thing keeping me from doing digi on trips is that I can't get the misc. things and embellies on the page that I want to use.

I'm like you Judy - so much invested in paper supplies that I will always do paper scrapbooking. Just though the digi would be good when we are on the road.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

You can take a photo of your memorabilia and it's pretty simple (especially if your bg and the thing you want to extract has good contrast) to extract it from the background and put it on your digi layout. Then you can also make it any size you want.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-09-13 05:41 PM
In response to AmyWho

I still think using the camera would be better than a portable scanner - you'll get a better quality image for one thing. And you won't have to carry yet another electronic item that could easily get stolen, broken, etc. And whether you use a scanner or a camera - you'll still have to use PS to get rid of the background so you can use your image in a page, so it doesn't really matter how you capture the image, you just want to capture the best quality.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Never thought of photographing the memorabilia. Wouldn't I have to fussy cut it out.

I agree stick - I would never trust a portable scanner to my photos! But my big scanner is doing a fantastic job!

That is something that makes sense Kara - whether I scan or photograph, I will have to fix it up. I put ad our for a Photoshop tutor and here is the reply I got: (I am excited!)

Hello Henri,
It would be my pleasure to work with you to learn Photoshop for your scrapbooking projects.

I'm a professional digital scrapbooking instructor and Photoshop coach. I've worked with some of the best names in the digital scrapbooking business for many years, including DigiShopTalk, Digital Scrapper, E-Scape and Scrap, Scrap Girls; in addition to working for Photoshop guru Scott Kelby as Managing Editor for Photoshop Elements Techniques magazine.

I have created print and video tutorials on a wide variety of digital scrapbooking and image enhancement techniques. I'm also a digital designer as well.

I can help you accomplish anything you would like to do with your scrapbooking using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.

I'd love to hear more about what you would want to learn, and to share some links to some of my work. Please contact me at your convenience and let's talk more about specifics. My rates are negotiable and we can get started anytime you're ready!

I hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to helping you achieve your Photoshop and scrapbooking goals!

Me again - doesn't she sound awesome? I think she is $45 an hour and I'm going to see if she can put some time aside to work with me. I'm thinking one day or two and I should have it where I'm comfortable with photoshop. She may suggest I upgrade my version of photoshop and that is okay - don't mind. Love her credentials and I will be able to jump in and feel confident rather than spending weeks with utube tutorials when I don't even know where to start.

I am really looking forward to working with her!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho

You shouldn't need to upgrade.

No fussy cutting since you were talking about digi scrapping, PSE will do that. have fun!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to AmyWho

I didn't realize that PSE would do that! Very cool!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 10-10-13 06:52 PM

Yep - if you shoot against a solid color background, especially one that contrasts with your item, it's really fast and easy to digitally "fussy-cut" your item.

I think if spending the money on a tutor will make you more comfortable and confidant, do it! I imagine you'll have so much fun being able to scrap in the middle of a cruise!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I am so confused Kara - I'm not computer literate or smart and it doesn't come naturally to me.

Joe showed me how to stitch in photoshop and I'm fine with that.

For scrapbooking, I don't know where to start. I literally don't know what to do first, how to store things, what to use. I don't know how to edit photos.

I really need to pay someone to get me through the basics so I can just do it. I've played with photoshop myself a bit and I really don't know where to start. Once I get going with it I know I will be fine.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Bonnie - just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and I miss you. I hope you are okay!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics