Hi everyone. I haven't been on here for such a long time, and I have missed it so much! My life has been upside down lately, won't bore ya'll with any details, but things are settling down now.
I want to let you all know that I AM doing my card project still, just off to a very late start this year, due to everything that has been going on. So for those of you who have done this before, please come back and help us again this year. I am upping my goal for the number of cards because our camp size has grown, and we need about 5,000 cards for the week.
THe cards are for a camp for battered, abused and neglected children. The camp is called Royal Family Kids Camp, and you can check out the organization at rfkg.org, if you want to. These cards are for the Clayton County Georgia camp.
The kids are treated to a fun filled week, and are shown lots of love. It is a Christian based camp, but they are not preached to --our goal is just to love them with the love of Christ, and to give them a week to make wonderful memories and new friends, and feel safe and loved. The counselors and other staff members write notes to each camper and they are put in their slot in the camp mail box. THe neat part is that we have a Post Miistress, who logs in a book to make sure that each canper is receiving cards, and that they all get about the same number of cards. Everynight, before bed, you will find the campers sitting on their bunks, poring over their cards and you can see how much they mean to them. They can't believe that people who don't even know them, would take the time to make the cards for them. You will never now how much a simple card will mean to these kids. A really touching story is that a few years ago, we had a brother and sister who were once campers themselves, come back as couselor and praise team member- the camp meant so much to them that they want to be able to give back!
Ok, on to the project; If you want to be a part of this, all you have to do is make cards.. and send them to me for the 2014 camp held in June. Here are the details;
1. Cards can be any size, however we don't recommend making them too large cause the staff has limited time and the bigger the card the more you feel like you need to write. I use scraps and make cards of all sizes, even little bitty ones are cute!
2. pretty much any theme goes; we do have a camp theme and as soon as i know it I will let you know, if you want to make some with the theme. designs for girls, boys, sports, princess, birthday ( we have a huge everybody's birthday party- some of the kids have never even had a bd party). We also have a talent show, and you can do cards to congratulate them on their job well done. cards with encouraging messages and thoughts are great, and they all love disney, super heroes, etc.
3. Consider getting some friends together and have a card making party...you can easily make 2 or 3 hundred with a group of people.
4, If you want to make the cards but mailing them might be difficult financially, let me know. we have people willing to pay the postage for any that might need it.
5. Mail to me at Rhonda Towe, p.o.box 583, Morrow, GA 30260.
6. Let me know if you are ready to get involved, and I will put your name on the list. any questions, just post to the thread and if I don't get to you first, some of the previous years group will answer if they can, or you can pm me.
Please spread the word and please join us. I am excited as if this was our first year; we didn't have near enough last year,, which was probably my fault, cause I wasn't on here like i need to be because of things going on. BUT i have already made about 500 cards myself this year, and getting some groups together to really get lots made. I have had sb.com members who work on this tell me what a blessing they get out of it, and even some who pray for our campers are they make the cards..you will be touched by being a part of this.. and mayu never fully know what these cards mean to them each year.
Who will be the first to sign up????
3. sharon elise
5. Disney Lisa