Username Post: Most useful supplies        (Topic#1592299)
New Kid On the Block

I'm getting back into scrapbooking (both digitally an paper) and plan on buying some basic paper stuff on Black Friday. Since I'm a poor college student, I really need to stretch my dollar ;). What supplies do you seem to reach for over and over? What stuff do you find to be the most versatile? Finally, what things do you think are just basics that everyone needs?

I plan on doing a combination of digital and traditional layouts, if it makes a difference. I'm kind of aiming towards a more project life approach with the traditional scrapbooking, but like some of the more embellished pages.

Thanks!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to lashbrook.megan

Invest in a good trimmer: it will save you money in the long run.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to bonprof

Border punches, even the cheap kind will be useful

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to southgirl

I second trimmer. I also really use my circle cutter quite a bit. And cutting mat.

kittisiubhan
New Kid On the Block
kittisiubhan
In response to aubrieannie

These are tools I use for EVERYTHING - not just scrapbooking.

Non stick craft mat - Trust me, you need one.

Bone Folder - I have several of these scattered around the house, and highly recommend them to everyone; SPECIFICALLY the Martha Stewart brand. It's a very hard plastic that will last & last unlike the bone folders that come with the scoreboards, they're too soft and will eventually wear down.

Crop-A-Dile - I use it as a heavy duty punch more often than an eyelet setter.

Heat Embossing Tool - I like this one over others because it puts out heat without blowing on your project too hard.

Martha Stewart Travel Trimmer - Just a basic trimmer but it folds up to the size of a ruler & stores the spare blades right on the base.

Xyron Create-A-Sticker - Not as versatile as other tools listed, but great for things like ribbon, buttons, and 3D embellishments that are awkward and don't like to stick using regular adhesives.

Big Shot - Expensive but definitely worth it so don't be tempted into buying a cheaper model. I guarantee you'll want to upgrade to the Big Shot sooner or later so just hold out and save up for it. Amazon & eBay price is around $60-$70; if you find it in a store for anything less it's a good deal.

I live in a rural area and only shop online, the nearest craft stores (HB, Michaels, Joanns, etc.) are 150+ miles away so I have no idea what in store prices are for these items. So be sure to check the forums for tips on using the 40% off coupons & other discounts at these stores.

I hope that helps, happy shopping & good luck!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kittisiubhan

I really suggest looking in the gallery and seeing which layouts you like and then seeing what supplies they are using. If you like the mixed media and paints - they buy those supplies and tools needed to achieve layouts with that style
A lot of scrapbookers say you always need journaling pens. That is not my style, I gave all mine away without opening them because I got tired of them taking up space. Yet I love other people's layout with hand journaling. I just hate my handwriting so I will never use them.

I don't do cards so supplies geared towards cardmakers do not appeal to me at all unless they are used in scrapbooking.

If you like the pretty heritage and vintage and shabby chic flowery ones, buy flowers and lace and buttons and ribbon.

I bought a Cricut early on and never used it although now I am using it and loving it. I bought a Big Shot - would love my money back! I've used it twice in a year. It would be awesome for making cards but I hate making cards. My Fiskar's Fuse has not been take out of the box and I've had it nearly a year.

I bought a ton of nesties and Cheery Lynn dies and embossing folders - never used one of them. (Holding onto them because I have so much invested in them but doubt I will ever use them.)

Bought a ton of Copics. Never took the caps off. bought a ton of micro glitter - never opened (over $300 worth!), bought a ton of Stickles - those have been unopened for 5 years.

It's not that I don't love layouts made with these products, it just that they aren't my style.

For me personally, my 1st purchase would be a good trimmer, 2nd an ATG and plenty of tape, 3rd and clear ruler with grids to line up stickers and letters and 4th a circle cutter. I would probably spend the rest of my money on cardstock and patterned paper. If I had money left I would buy flowers, brads and embellies.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Henri Jean

My friend, who is a newbie scrapbooker, just spent a couple of hours scrapping with me, and here is a list of what she borrowed:

1. A craft mat...i like self-healing best.

2. A good paper trimmer...dont scrimp here...get a good one from the start.

3. Fine tip scissors, like Cutterbees.

4. A good selection of adhesives...from a fine tip glue pen to adhesive runners, dots, n splits. I have an ATG...they are great but an investment.

5. Tweezers...for fine detail gluing.

6. PAPER...N PLENTY OF IT!!!! You can never have too much.

There are TONS more things you can buy...these to me are the basics...then there all the die cuts n machines, punches, specialized cutters n tools, stickers n embellies...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Juansmom

I forgot about the fine tip scissors (mine are Cuttlebees too) and tweezers - I got mine at a scrapbook store and they are different from eyebrow tweezers.

I use my little scissors and tweezers constantly! Thanks for bringing those up Chris!

And if you do paints and messy mediums you need a mat. I don't do that so I've only used my mat once in several years but I have a friend who does a lot of paints and mists and sprays and uses her mat constantly.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Are you ladies saying that the Big Shot is not ideal for scrapbookers? Im still toying with the idea of getting one.

kittisiubhan
New Kid On the Block
kittisiubhan
In response to bonprof

• Quote:
Are you ladies saying that the Big Shot is not ideal for scrapbookers? Im still toying with the idea of getting one.

Donna - I would recommend a Big Shot to anyone, I just can't say enough great things about it because it's SO versatile and the size makes it compatible with almost everything out there.

However, I can see where Henri Jean is coming from; card makers probably would benefit from the big shot more than a scrapbooker, it just depends on how much you see yourself embossing or wanting to add texture to your layouts like a swiss dot, pinstripe, or damask for example.

Personally I dabble in all different kinds of crafts so my big shot is an invaluable tool. I use it mostly for gift packaging, you can put a fun tag on a plain kraft box and it's instantly fabulous, but I also love letterpress & embossing. I haven't explored yet with the framelets but they're pretty high on my list.

If you created a poll my vote would definitely be YES to anyone considering buying a Big Shot.

Best of luck!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom

I have a Cuttlebug n use it mostly for die cutting letters for titles. I find it us very helpful, n wouldnt give it up, but its not a "basic" tool that someone new would need...its a later investment!

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Juansmom

Oh, Henri, my tweezers are made by the cutterbee people too...love them!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I don't really understand the whole embossing concept. How would it make my layouts better?Thanks for your help.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to bonprof

Yeah, I rarely make cards and I rarely emboss, but I love my Big Shot for scrapbooking.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

Embossing gives paper wonderful texture and patterns. I have some wonderful embossing folders but I've never used one. Since I have them I need to made it a point to try to use them on a layout.

I can't see me ever making cards because I hate making cards but the machine is really well made and sturdy and easy to use. If I made cards I would constantly use it!

I can see how it would be fantastic for a lot of crafts.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I see. I watched a couple videos. It is a very interesting process.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to bonprof

What do I use on all most every layout? Here goes:

1) My small Cutter Bee scissors
2) My Cutter Bee tweezers - such a great tool!
3) A tool that came in a Making Memories tool set I bought years ago. It's designed to make a small hole for brads. It's a simple tool - just a long needle like device. I reach for it at some point in every single layout.
4) Xyron 150 Create a Sticker tool and refills - get the repositionable. I use this to adhere almost all of my ribbon as well as my Alpha letters I cut out on my Cricut.
5) A good clear ruler - Martha Stewart makes a nice one.
6) A cutting mat with grids - I think I bought a Martha Stewart one, but there are many in the sewing section of Michaels and Hobby Lobby.
7) Washi tape in basic colors - black, red, orange, green, purple.
An assortment of adhesives - I use the Scrapbook Adhesives Repositionable E-Z Dots brand,
Alene's Tacky Glue, and Scotch Quick Dry glue adhesive - it has a narrow, small opening which gives you great control on just how much glue you want to use.
9) A corner rounder - I have a Creative Memories corner rounder I bought years ago which is going strong. Not sure if those are still available but if you can find one on e-Bay I would suggest you grab it up!
10) My Ott lite - a necessity for me.
11) I also agree with an earlier poster - a good circle and oval cutting system will be your best friend. Again, I bought a Creative Memory system years ago and it is like the "Little Engine That Could"! I'm not sure if these are still available from Creative Memories since they've revamped. If you ever see them for sale on EBay, snatch them up!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics