Username Post: Purist        (Topic#1592575)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I've decided once and for all not to buy any die cut machines of any kind. Am i weird? Anyone else out there like me?

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to bonprof

I was like you until 2007 when cutting out my letters with scissors started becoming difficult. So my husband surprised me with a craft robo pro for christmas. I picked up a cuttlebug a few years later for the embossing.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Shutterbugg

There are other people here who make all their own embellies and they are beautiful.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Henri Jean

Yes. Yes you are.

Just kidding. I went for a few years without a die cutting machine and then a friend of mine gave me her old sizzix dies. I waited for the right combo of sales and coupons and I landed the original sizzix and more dies at a phenomenal price. A few years later DH bought me the original cricut. Both of my machines are basic compared to what is out there now, but I do not see the "need" (want, maybe) to upgrade.

I would say that if you are happy without them, then that is great. I would probably still be without a die cutting machine had those other two events not landed at my feet.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
I've decided once and for all not to buy any die cut machines of any kind. Am i weird? Anyone else out there like me?

I got by without any kind of diecuting machine for years (10+). I would just buy the occasional diecut from the LSS & ebay. Mostly I made due with scissors and xacto knifes.

But then I finally broke down and got a used cricut and a quikutz squeeze on ebay. It really does make the scrapbooking job easier and sometimes scrapbooking does feel like a job! I don't use my cricut often but I got it dirt cheap so I can't complain. And now I have a pretty large collection of 2 x 2 dies & embossing plates none of which I ever paid more that a couple bucks for.

Is it the price that holds you back?

PS And why the word "purist"? can you elaborate

Products Referenced in This Post:

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Gelidy Gelato

No, its not the price holding me back. I mean Purist in the sense of only using my hands rather than a machine.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to bonprof

If I had to cut out all my letters by hand or buy thickers, etc. all the time, I probably would not scrap. I don't have the patience to do that. BUT, I think it is great if that is what you want to do. That is the beauty of scrapbooking- do what makes you happy.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
No, its not the price holding me back. I mean Purist in the sense of only using my hands rather than a machine.

I sort off get what you mean. I used to think that way about paper cutters. I used to only use a steel ruler and a knife.

It's a slippery slope. You start out making EVERYTHING by hand. And then before you know it you are buying titles, elaborate embellishments, journaling squares, tags, kits, complete pages!

but like everything else in life, it's to save time and for convenience. AND often the results are better! So you can't fault someone for using a die cutting system. Like you can't fault someone for using an electric blender or a frozen pie crust. The same amount of love went into their pie...

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I used to make all my embellies and cut out all my titles by hand when I started this way back in the late 80s. There were no cutters then. Now I wouldn't trade my silhouette. Love it for letters and shapes too. I can cut a doily in different sizes over and over and over and all the cut cost me was the machine - which has paid for itself in the amount of money I would have spent on thickers and letter stickers - and a 1.00 for the cut - and then it is cheaper if you get a subscription or buy on sale. LOVE MY MACHINE! After I hurt my right hand several years ago I don't think I could continue the tedious cutting of all those letter. I still do fussy cutting but not on every LO and I still make a lot of embellishments too.

Best of luck with your choice, it is your choice after all!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to rockmom

Thanks for your feedback! I enjoy hearing different ideas and thoughts!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to bonprof

I love all of my cutters. I believe I am a die cut purist! I didn't like the stuff I cut out by hand as much. Either way it is a craft you are meant to love. To each his own.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to 950nancy

Donna (bonprof) I am in awe of your desire to cut everything by hand. You must be amazing with a pair of scissors and a cutter.

I am cutting challenged I blame it on my left handiness since most scissors are not true left handed scissors and even the way some cutters are set up it can be harder for the lefty.

When cricut came out in 2007-2008 I jumped on the chance to get titles and letters cuts so easily. Now with gypsy/craft room I am able to do all my photo mats and journaling boxes with it as well.
It really paid for itself when I was able to do a ton a of cuts for school valentine cards, party invitations and some other projects that required multiple cuts of the same thing in a matter of minutes.

Still my hat off to you for your decision to do it all by hand.

Edited by jaxxan on 12-01-13 08:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jaxxan

I dont cut everything by hand. I buy embellies and i use alphas a lot. I might be a more basic scrapbooker than most. I can see where the cutters could be really handy.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

The only thing I really use my diecut machine for these days is titles on my pages. I would think you could live without one as long as there are Thickers in the world.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

I tend to go in cycles - I use my Cricut for my letters for a while because I love the look of the welded letters.

Then I use stick-on letters for a while because I don't want to take time to make letters - a whole series of layouts will have thickers or another brand of pre-made letters.

Then I will get in the mood to use my Slice machine and will use it for the next group of layouts because I really love some of the Slice fonts. Then I will want welded and go back to my Cricut. No real pattern - just whichever strikes my mood.

More and more though I love letters welded and now my taste runs to script letters which are welded.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics