Username Post: Crops or home ?        (Topic#1592733)
Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

Are going to crops really beneficial for you. I love to go and visit and see what others are doing and to check out new items. I have never been able to pack supplies and have what I need.I have rolling cases to take, but I just feel like I need it ALL!!! I love my cricut and use it all the time. I also have a gypsy but have just never really used it. The learning curve was not easy for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Grammy24

The learning curve on the gypsy was not easy for me. I did use it a few times but my titles did not come out nicely because you have to weld manually to set the space between the letters. I hated that.

Now that I'm using CCR I can whip out a welded title in minutes and I'm happy with them!

If you haven't tried it you should - it is awesome. The learning curve is nothing - I was making welded titles within minutes of downloading it.

I love to go to crops. The only thing that works for me is to do layouts to a point and pack them away and then at crops I can visit and glue and finish all the layouts I started.

I did one today - even got all my cricut letters done. Its going to take about 30-40 minutes to assemble because there are a lot of letters to glue. The punchwork is done though so I don't have to worry about messing up a paper and not having another because I don't take extra paper except black cardstock for mats.

My system does not work for everyone but if you can take your projects partially finished and know exactly what you are going to do you can accomplish a lot at a crop and take a minimal amount of supplies.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to Henri Jean

I have looked at CCR but have never experimented with it. Maybe I need to spend my time there for a while instead of trying again with my gypsy.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Grammy24

I love crops! I get so much done when I'm at a crop! I have a hard time sitting down and getting started at home. Seems like there's always some household task distracting me. I especially love going to crops at a scrapbook store because I know that I can buy anything I fail to pack!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dsouza

I don't enjoy crops - I find all the conversation very distracting - but I don't mind scrapping with one or two other people.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I had planned to set aside 2 hours a night for a couple nights to devote to learning CCR. In 10 minutes I was welding and cutting. Its actually fun!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to aquabunny

I have found crops to be beneficial. A change of scenery is nice sometimes, there can be a lot of distractions at home. Often at a crop there are tools that can be used like punches, dies, etc. And depending on the crop there can even be games, raffles AND FOOD!

The crops Henri Jean goes to even have LINE DANCING & music! I wish we had crops like that here in LA.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I've never gone to a crop. Just the thought of packing stuff up doesn't interest me at all and I rarely leave the house without forgetting something as it is. I also like to zone out when I scrap and have a movie or music going.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to AmyWho

I don't get to go to many...basically they are more like workshops, but I enjoy them because it's dedicated scrap time. I usually like the people and get an opportunity to use someone's cricut! I like to share ideas n techniques!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Grammy24

I love, love, love crops! In fact, i'm at one right now. The fellowship of scrappers is awesome, and you can get some great ideas. That being said, i also love scraping at home. I love to take a quiet time and just enjoy my own company.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to bonprof

When I first started scrapping, crops were HUGELY helpful to me. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and I got so many tips on how to use tools and different opinions on adhesive. I learned so many techniques from people at crops. I also gained so much confidence in my own scrapping, because people would admire the work I was doing....they would also give suggestions on what else I could do on my page and that helped me to learn to think differently. I also learned that there were no rules and no "right" or "wrong" to scrapping.

At the time, I didn't have a lot of scrapping supplies, so it was really easy to pack up what I had and go.

Now, it's a little more difficult to pack for a crop, but someone told me about making kits and that's what I do now. I still enjoy going to crops when I can, but I don't usually really get a lot of pages done...I'm usually busy meeting people and seeing what they are doing and explaining to others what I'm doing.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to justowen

This is true. Three or four times a year "She Scrapbooks" holds a big crop and it is always at the Waterfront or Waterside Inn at the Villages.

We always get the big ball room and it is right around the corner and a few feet down the hall from the lobby of the hotel. In the lobby is a big open area bar, tables for the café if you want to eat in the lobby instead of inside the café and on Saturday nights they have a live band in the big lobby area.

We hear it all on Saturday nights and the minute the band plays the first note of a line dance song its funny to watch so many of the ladies bolt from the scrap tables to make it to the line dance floor as the song begins.

We have all ages attending our crops - from older teenagers to just older period. Doesn't matter, its a mass exodus stampeded when a line dance starts.

lifethroughalens
Veteran
lifethroughalens
In response to bonprof

I love going to crops as well but unfortunately there are not many around me (that I know of anyway). My sister-in-laws both scrap and we have tried to get together but we just can't make it work. So I have started to set aside time at least 2 nights a week to get caught up on things.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to justowen

for years I worked at an lss and my job was running crop night. I worked from 3pm till 1am. It was a lot of fun. I know a lot of the ladies came just for the socializing. Some came just to work and didn't say much. I watched a lot of great friendships grow between strangers.

I have never been to a crop at a store for myself. I had a group of friends that would get together on weekends once a month to scrap. We also would go twice a year on a retreat together. Now I just scrap at home. I don't miss packing up all my stuff but I do miss scrapping with my friends. It was worth all the effort of packing everything up.

Edited by andrea m on 12-08-13 10:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to andrea m

I love crops....but I pack a TON....LOL

I get so much done at crops. Love being around so many women and talk scrap.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to PhotobearSam

Crops are not for me. I don't enjoy the packing and hauling and I find them terribly distracting. I don't seem to scrap well with others at all.

Expert
In response to olleharr

I love crops, even though I have a great desk setup at home--and have time to scrap at home. But anymore the crop needs to be at least 2 days, preferably more (and even better if it's out of town!!!) I generally save my big projects for my big multi-day crops (like Christmas, a vacation, or a specialized album like the baseball one I made at my last crop). Those projects work well at a crop because I can leave out my scraps without fear of losing them amongst the everyday mess of my regular desk. And it's easier to get in a groove in order to get as much of the project done at a crop when I have time to do it.

I am one that packs a lot (because I might end up using a lot and am happy to share) so it's really hard to do a short crop. If I'm planning to take some everyday photos to work on then I'll make up my personalized kits, but that's only special embellishments and PP that I might not take otherwise (but not CS/ribbon/etc.)

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to HuskerMom98

I have never been to a store to crop. Nor have I ever attended any other kind of crop most of you describe.

I only go to two major crops a year and we stay for three days in July and 4 days in January. There are about 35 ladies. We are divided into teams and each team is responsible for one meal to feed the whole group. The rest of the time you eat what someone else has prepared. We also bring snacks for a community table. They are all christians and many are related or go to the same church. It is where I first scrapped and learned so much.

I also meet with 3 or 4 ladies from my church on Friday nights occasionally. We scrap from the time we get off until midnight at the church.

That being said, I love to scrap at home too. I have my scraproom and can really get into it when I am alone.

I love doing all them.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to idlewoman

I like going to crops, but I don't ever expect to get a lot done! I make kits for myself and don't bring a lot of extras, so my pages never get fully done at the crop. That used to bother me at first, but now I just write myself a note to remind myself of how I want to finish it off and do it at home.

I especially like having crops at my house. That gives me the best of both worlds - scrapping with friends and having all my stuff handy!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to Mary W.

I don't know anyone else who scraps and have never been to a crop. I am very slow designing my pages. If I ever do go to a crop, I would follow Henri's method and have several LO's all planned in advance. I always work in a Page In Progress box and have four of them so it would be easy to have LO's ready to be glued down.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ms. Fit

I'm that way too - I have room on my scrap desk to have 6-8 in progress, especially if they go with one event or place or cruise ship port.

On my extra table in the living room I have 12 pieces of white 12 x 12 and pictures on there for the next 12 layouts after the ones on my scrap desk so I'm always working actively on a few and moving things around on 12 more pages.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

I used to love going to crops! I never set a goal for myself, and I'm not a marathon scrapper, so there were times I might come home with just a few finished pages, and times I would come home with a lot. It just depended how much visiting I did, lol. I've also been on many weekend scrapping retreats, and those are my absolute favorite! I love the dedicated crop time without the domestic or household obligations nagging me, and I love the companionship of the other croppers. It's always fun to me to meet and spend time with like-minded people.
I have a spare bedroom that is completely converted into a scraproom, and I spend a lot of time in there, although I do very little scrapbooking now. I make a ton of cards and do a lot of mixed media, but still have my scrapbooks in various stages of completion. I'll get back to them one of these days.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to chocolateaxel

You are so lucky to live in an area with so many fun people to scrap with who are here on the boards. All of you could find a place and just have a ball scrapping together but I'm not sure how many pages you would go home with! You all have too much fun!

I'm very jealous!

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk

I go to both 3 day crops and day crops as well as scrapping at home. I find that I do get a lot done as long as I put my page kits together before hand. If I don't, it is a waste of money for me. I do take my Cricut and all my carts and cut what ever I need when I'm there. I think it gives me a chance to crop away and not feel guilty about the pile of laundry that needs to be done.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Ms. Fit

I used to go to a crop each month and really had a great time. Now the crops have dwindled in this area and everyone goes to card parties. I am not a card maker so I go to very few.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to wilbur

I used to crop at one place that now is nearly all card-making which doesn't interest me at all.

Even the supplies are less and less for scrapbookers and more and more for cardmaking.

All their classes now are for cardmaking - they haven't had a scrapbooking class in years.

I hate that.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Crops don't interest me a bit. I'd hate to pack and haul everything I might want. Even when my daughter comes over to work on her scrapbooking, I just hand her things, look up stuff for journaling and do some computer work for her. We enjoy the time together, but I need peace and quiet...and aloneness...to get anything done.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to mrsdriver5

I do the same thing. Whenever I have someone over who wants to scrap I never work on my own stuff, I'm always assisting with theirs. I have to have my space to myself and conversation is too distracting.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to olleharr

I cannot have conversation or distractions when I'm planning a page or writing my journaling. Once I know exactly what I'm doing then it doesn't matter - then the "thinking" part is over.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Ms. Fit

I like both. Crops are great for socializing, making friends, learning new stuff. I have so much fun. It's a bonus if I can buy supplies at the crop. Home is great for convenience and quiet time. I usually get a lot done at home.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Luvmyfam

And I think the conversation and distractions are the best part of scrapping with other people! I've gotten so many good ideas and learned so many things from other people at crops. I enjoy working on my stuff at home, too, but when I'm alone I have to have the tv on so that there is some distraction. I can't think or concentrate if it's too quiet.
At the office where I used to work, one of the managers insisted that there be no chatter, almost total silence, and often I would find that my mind had wandered because it was too quiet. It nearly drove me mad!!

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 12-08-13 10:00 PM
In response to chocolateaxel

i can honestly say that i've never been to a crop because it was much too frightening to think of ALL the stuff I would have to bring. I can't even complete a page or a card at home without needing to run out and buy "one more thing" that will make this perfect. But i really would like to try. I want to make more crafty friends who live NEARBY and I need to learn some more techniques. Just not sure how to get started.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

Well, Ms Vae, if by some miracle we could both move back to the Houston area, I'd drag you to more crops than you could shake a stick at! You'd love it!

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to Grammy24

I love to go to crops I enjoy cropping & talking to scrap friends

Resident
In response to anda11

For those who don't like to pack for a crop-maybe this will help. We have a group of us who scrap monthly and many of us hate packing up the "stuff" and then load the car and unload etc. You get the picture.

So what has helped is to have a set tote or bag always ready to go with non-thinking projects. What's a non-thinking project and what stuff you ask?

Non-thinking projects are basically kits, pages...anything pre-coordinated. then you just place the items on and "go". Smash books work too.

Packing items always ready: Rolling foldable cart or I've seen those large thirty-one bags with an ott lite, desk fan for hot flashes, electrical cords, folding wire (kitchen) table shelf, scrap ma-bob, tervis cup, seat cushion, drinks.....plus a tool caddy for your trimmer, punches, scissors, etc. always ready to go.

A crop bag or rolling tote for your "kits", smash books, etc.

So if you are going to a crop and have run out of time to pre-pack or pre-plan your "stuff" is always packed. You can always adjust your stash after each crop.

Hope this helps! I LOVE crops and retreats!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Ms. Fit

I love crops but it did take me YEARS to figure out how to get them to work for the way I scrap. I follow a form of Henri's method.... I make up mini kits to work from. I know, it take a lot of pre prep time but it works for me. I am a slow scrapper but going to crops helps me keep on track for three days!!!

I start with photos, add papers then embellishments that coordinate with those papers AND will fit the theme of that layout. Sometimes I will even have a sketch in there that makes the whole process go a little faster. There have been plenty of time that I don't have what I need for that page with me but I will work the L/O as far as I can go then finish when I get home again.

All of my crops are 3 day ones with vendors at all of them. Food is catered with classes and sales during the event. There is usually a waiting list to attend so if you can't make the crop it's easy to resell your spot.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to Sewflake

I used to really enjoy crops. The best part was being able to run out to the store if I forgot to pack something or ran out. The LSS I used to attend them at closed though, and I haven't been to one since. I have a group of friends who all do some form of craft and we get together once every month or so, which is nice but I get even less done at these gatherings. Since we're all friends, we spend too much time just gossiping, or if it's held at my house, the convenience of not having to pack is often negated by distractions like the dogs, keeping the food stocked, etc.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Sewflake

I LOVE my one weekend crop I go to every year in the fall. I may add another spring one in 2014. I've gone about 6 years and while I no longer pack EVERYTHING, I do pack quite a bit yet because one just never knows what mood she will be in. I've made "kits" where I've at least picked out the paper to go with the pics, but then when I get to the crop, I'm just not feeling it and wish I would have gone with brighter colors if I picked earth tones or vice versa.

All of my embellies like brads, eyelets, flowers, bling etc are all condensed into a medium size rolling tote. My tools are in a rolling toolbox, a tote of card stock, my Cameo and laptop, and a couple 31 totes full of kits and patterned paper, I'm good to go. The first couple of years, I almost needed to rent a u-haul just for me. Now I can fit my stuff with my friend's and a cooler in my Rav4.

I would not trade my crop for anything. Even if I didn't have the "kits", the time hanging with fellow crafters and having a great time is worth it. I may not have an idea for my LO, but all I have to do is ask and I'm inspired by their creativity and tips. It's the weekend that gets my mojo going after summer ends.

On the flip side, I also love to scrap at home. I have my own scrap room and it's my little retreat for scrap therapy. I can spend a little time in there just playing with my supplies or take days to work on one layout and not have to pack everything up.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to pugs223

Oh Peg, I am so glad that you are back honey. I really missed you.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to anda11

I mostly go to 12 hour crops that are 2 hours away. It makes for a long day. I have a list of all my supplies/tools etc. that I always bring to a crop. I also plan for hours before I go. I hate to not have what I need. My favorite is the Thursday-Sunday crops we have in the mountains. When you get tired of scrapping, you can see a moose, elk (walk in the yards in Estes Park), or whatever wildlife floats your boat. I usually go with a group of ladies that have scrapped together for years. I go in and out of the conversations. I bring 5 times as much stuff as I will ever accomplish and that is okay. It is all about the fun.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to anda11

• anda11 Said:

Thank you. I'm trying to visit more often. I've missed you too!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to pugs223

Nancy - I agree, it IS all about the fun. I could fill a scrapbook of memories of the fun I've had at those retreats. However...uh...we have a motto: "What happens at the retreat stays at the retreat"

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to pugs223

• pugs223 Said:
  • anda11 Said:

Thank you. I'm trying to visit more often. I've missed you too!

That is great to hear.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to anda11

It IS good to see you back Peg, you have been missed!

I joined a monthly crop. I made the decision to pay the annual subscription (cheaper) and commit to a year to see how I got on. By the end of that year I was honestly seriously considering not going any more. The people are all lovely but the packing up of everything I wanted to take was tedious, and the amount I actually got done was tiny compared with at home. And I discovered that I HATE planning for page kits.

But once I accepted that it was as much about the social side as the productivity, I enjoyed it much more.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I wish I had more crops to go to I usually get two a year but they are all weekend and expensive I would much rather be able to go to a couple of day crops in btween the big ones. I scrap at home but not nearly as much fun as at a retreat or with other people.

dsouza
dsouza 
Resident
dsouza
In response to Sneezy1956

I've heard scrapbooking crops described as the new "quilting bee" concept - a time for friends and family to gather and catch up with each other and laugh and have fun as well as to create something useful and beautiful. The socialization that occurs at crops is just as important as the number of pages you turn out. At least I think that's true for most people I know that go to crops.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to Sewflake

I am so glad to read all about cropping experiences. I may have to revisit the idea. I would really like to go to a three day with supplies available. I may be able to plan pages but I just have my stuff out all over my scrap room and try to use my tools that I am so blessed to have. Cricut,Cuttlebug,punches, slice,nestabilties etc. I am not a card maker.If I was I could probably get more done. We had a LSS that I would go crop to learn how to do techniques and to get cricut tips.But it went off business and that was the end of that.Made several friends but they are busy with life too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics