Username Post: What products or techniques are over for you?        (Topic#1592927)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

This year I got sick of eyelets. I realized I wasn't using them anymore, not going to use them anymore and now hundreds, maybe thousands were donated to a high school art department. I have a serious 5 year collection but I just don't use them anymore.

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to Henri Jean

I have stickers from the 90's (when we used them like crazy). I hate them now. Wish I could come up with a way to use them.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Pink Spoonbill

I feel the same way about both of those. I never could figure out how to use the eyelets, stickers and rub-ons. I also use to use buttons and ribbon a lot but hardly ever now.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24
In response to olleharr

I never use eyelets or that cropidial that I just had to have. I am sooo over staples with that big EK Success stapler. Buttons are also history. I still use a lot of ribbon. I quit using my shape cutters after I had a cricut. I NEEEEED to purge. But, what if I want it again ?

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to Grammy24

I'm not sure what kind of stickers you are referring to, but if I really like a sticker I will stick it to cardstock then cut it out and then pop dot it to a layout. Just an idea...

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to ScrapAddict21

I don't have thousands or even hundreds of eyelets but they look cute in the corner of a mat with a charm hanging from it. I've seen them used a lot on atcs. I actually have an example in my gallery.

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

Come Fly With Me ATC By ScrapAddict21

I used eyelets here to attach the vellum cloud to the paper since I can't stand vellum tape because you can see it through the vellum

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I have a few stickers left that i layer with other embellies,but i just gave a huge bag of them to the girl scouts. They always need crafty stuff. The stickers i have are part of a collection of some sort.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I forgot that I used to hold velum down with eyelets and it worked well! Now I use my oxyron for that - the 5" wide usually works and it puts down velum and is undetectable.

But - the eyelets are still pretty the way you used them! Never thought of using them to hang charms too!

I often put my velum down with the oxyron when I use it for journaling but then I make some kind of frame to hide the edges of the velum if I use them for journaling blocks. However, with the way you used the velum for clouds that isn't necessary - they are lovely like that!

Thank you for the example!

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to bonprof

There's really nothing that I would say "I'll never use that again." My stash includes stuff from the past 12 years and the "old" stuff that I haven't really used for years is starting to appeal to me again and has been showing up on my lo's a lot.

However, Stickles and Flower Soft I just can't seem to use lately. I also haven't used my Gypsy or Cricut in a few years. I will keep them in my stash, though, with the thought that they'll make their way back onto pages...unless my dd uses up all my Stickles before the mood hits me again.

I definitely agree that if you really don't want certain things in your stash anymore, please contact your local schools and ask if the art teachers would like to have them. When I cleaned out my craft room, I took a lot of stuff to the school and they were more than thrilled with my unwanted tools and supplies.

My dd's art teacher has been asking for scrapbooking supplies all year long. They are doing art journals, using old hardback books as the journal (we had to go to the thrift store to find those for dd..dh would not have been happy if I'd grabbed a hardback from our house. ) Even though I didn't really have anything in my stash that I really felt I'd "never use again." I knew I had more stuff than I could ever possibly use, so I went through and thinned down the herd a little and the teacher was so happy. One thing she was asking for was sb paper scraps, boy did that make me happy to get rid of a lot of my huge stash of scraps and I didn't have to feel guilty about throwing away paper I had spent good money to buy.

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej

I have a few to add to the list. For me it's brads, buttons, ribbon and the copic markers. I'm not ready to give them away yet, just in case I get the urge to use them again. But I do like the idea of giving them to the Girl Scouts.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to bbarthej

Have to agree on the stickers on cardstock and popdot, use it sometimes too. But I don't use them often nor the eyelets or stickles. Like some of you it will remain in the stash.

Edited by rockmom on 12-21-13 05:21 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to rockmom

I have a lot of micro-glitter and I will hang on to it, still like it just don't use it. And there are other things I don't use but will keep.

And the twinkling H2Os - never used them but not getting rid of them yet.

But the eyelets, I just wasn't using them and just know I won't use them again.

Never used my copics either - they are probably dried out.

justowen
Governor
justowen

Wait...what are twinkling H2Os?! I really have been out of the loop!

Glitter...that might be something I should give away...I've had it forever and I usually make a mess when I try to use it...which hasn't been for a long time. But, its sooooo pretty!

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

I have larger chipboard alphas that I just don't use like the making memories kind. I also have the Cosmo Cricket ones.... just don't like them I guess.

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21

lol you guys don't want your glitter and I just recently added it to my wishlist. I have very little but I want to try Tim Holtzs new sticky embossing powder and make my own glittered images

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

H2Os are little plastic pots of water-based paint like the paints we used as kids. You use it with a wet brush.

It is almost translucent - very faint and gives a nice sparkle - which is why they are called twinkling H2Os.

At one of the crops one of the ladies had patterned paper with a butterfly. She brushed it with yellow H2Os which made the yellow more vibrant and gave it sparkle. But she said he had other products that would do the same thing for a lot less mess. I don't think they caught on in a really big way.

justowen
Governor
justowen

Oh...I hadn't heard of those...sounds kind of cool, but I have a problem with wet products that warp my paper...unless I'm doing a really distressed page, then it can be helpful.

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.

LOL Henri with all these Ideas you'll have to buy some eyelets again)))
I'm over stickles, I think. wanted them so much last year and barely used any. Now, if Lisa Olleharr if you want to get rid of your rubons - I'll take, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE rub ons! especially the tiny printed letters, the ones you can make tiny subtitles with!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to OlesyaK.

Glitter. I only have a few jars and I love the stuff, but I hate the mess. I've only used it a few times and each time I grumble about it getting everywhere. I can say the same thing about chalks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

I was thinking the same thing Oleysa. I do not need to go out and buy eyelets again! But I do like some of the ideas to use them. At least I hung on to my Crop-o-dile! But I really don't want to use them just for page decorations anymore.

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Hmmm, if you don't want to toss those items, why not challenge yourself to use them.

I used eyelets to attach baker's twine to a tag (it was a mini album). On the twine, I glued a pennant.

For stickers - I like the idea of popping them. You could also colour them, add glitter (stickles or other), cover with glossy accents - now that changes the look of a plain sticker.

If I ever get back to regular scrapbooking, that is what I want to do. Can anyone say hinges? how about plastic slide mounts? lol

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

This is a great question Hon... :):) I am a person who loves it all. I am a person who loves plain & simple pages...I still do them. I also love to do fancy pages full of embellies, flowers, bling, etc. I love the current stickers but I still love my Mrs Grossman cute ones. I love cutesy sticker & papers. I also love distessed & vintage lookinig papers. I still use them all. I use eyelets on some pages but not that many.I still love brads. I saw lots of people get rid of their old punches but I kept mine. lol I still use them. I adore all the new punches that have come out in recent years. I used to cut some photos out in the past...I still see fab pages with people doing it now. I would still do that. lol

I love that I do all different types of pages.
I love every singe page that I have made even if I made it in 97. lol

Edited by anda11 on 12-21-13 09:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to anda11

I'm a pack rat!! I ain't gettin rid of nuttin!
All kidding aside, I keep everything because I have 3 granddaughters working on school projects all the time.
They love going in my scraproom and getting to create things!
And then there's always a part of me that thinks I may regret getting rid of things.
I would like to unload my scraps tho, I may have my DD ask the art teacher to see if they want them.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to ChansGram

Trish..you are so right.. lol My daughter & her friends used to come over to make cards & scrapbook with me. They are thrilled when they see stuff that some people do not love anymore. lol

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to anda11

I am not an artsy scrapper. I buy scrapbook markers and glitter and other things and it just isn't me. I want to document my trips. That is why I scrapbook - for memories for my husband and me later.

I do enjoy doing prettier pages for my granddaughters. I really don't use any of the messier products - don't enjoy them although I love the results that other people get.

So when I buy products that are what the more artistic scrappers would use, they just don't appeal to me once I get them home and I just make a mess and get frustrated. Glitter, paints - any of that kind of stuff. No matter how much I love how they look I've finally learned to resist things like that.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur

I too am a packrat and I keep all my old supplies! One thing I won't buy anymore are the sprays that get clogged immediately after 2 sprays, how frustrating! I love the look of a fine mist shimmer across the page but I can't seem to get that.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to wilbur

• wilbur Said:
I too am a packrat and I keep all my old supplies! One thing I won't buy anymore are the sprays that get clogged immediately after 2 sprays, how frustrating! I love the look of a fine mist shimmer across the page but I can't seem to get that.

I have the same problem with those sprays! And because I'm a lazy scrapper, I hate having to get up out of my scrapping chair to go to the sink to unclog the bottle before I can use the spray. I like to use them on my distressed pages, but boy do I get frustrated by them.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to Luvmyfam

Glitter glue! I have such a hard time figuring out way to use my massive stack! I prefer the dry glitter. I still love the sparkle, but once the glue dries and flattens I just don't like it.

ScrapAddict21
Mayor
ScrapAddict21
In response to Crafting Marfa

I still love my stickles. I used it to cover some naked chipboard ornament shapes as well as snowflakes. I also love using the frosted lace because it looks like snow to me. I just like adding it here and there for little touches. but those ornaments I covered completely.

I'm one though that isn't into rubons and wonders why I have so many... sigh

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

Ugh! I have so much that I don't use anymore!
I've given away or sold some of it but I still have some stuff that is just sitting there.

For me it's....
bare chipboard pieces - I have a ton of them, all organized in a Scraponizer and I never use them because I cut most of my own shapes from my Cameo now...
ribbon, buttons, eyelets - same as others, just don't use them on pages much anymore...occasionally a bit of ribbon but not often
Copics - I bought a bunch of them and never used them! What a waste! I sold them at a LSS garage sale for half what I paid for them!
Stamps - I have a fairly large collection but don't use them much. I weeded them out awhile ago and sold a bunch in the garage sale but I still have a bunch I'm not ready to part with yet....keep thinking I'll use them!
Thickers/Alphas - I use my Cameo to cut my titles of whatever paper I want and if I want it more 3D, I just cut it from chipboard as well and layer....never use the collection of alphas I have!
Dies - I have also weeded out my die collection and sold a lot but I still have a few left and aside from my nesties, I never use them....again, I use my Cameo now for everything!
kraft paper - I used to use kraft for a lot of my layouts and now, I'm finding that I prefer white backgrounds or sometimes cream but I like it brighter/cleaner.....
coloured cardstock - I still have a bunch and am not willing to part with it yet but I use white or cream or grid backgrounds and patterned paper mostly now....I hardly ever use my plain, coloured cs for anything anymore.....

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to Luvmyfam

I still love my punches and dies, though I have a Cricut and Cameo. I still love flowers, distressing and bling, though I do mostly kids' pages right now. Wouldn't part with all of that old stuff for anything.

What I WOULD happily part with are the tons of Copics I bought and can't use with any artistry!

Oh yes, and glitter is so gone! I make a mess with the stuff just getting it out of the drawer, lol!

Gone, too, is that frustrating spray in the clogged bottles, as soon as I can use it up.

Then, I have to agree with Stickles, too. Guess I'm a klutz, but if I can manage to get it where I want it, I invariably smear it before it dries.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to NMscrapper

I am over eyelets too.....but the bad thing is that I was never into them, but yet I have tons. I never set them right, they just don't look right for me. I got rid of them awhile ago in a scrap sale. Glad to pass them on to someone else you will use them and love them.

I have moved away from stickers- I need to use up the ones I have. Instead of stickers, I use tons of stamps now. I like that I can change the color- use them in different ways. I get my money out of my stamps!!!!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

I hate to admit it because it cost me a bundle, but my Pazzles sits on a shelf above my computer like a rock -- only it's way too big to use for a paper weight. I won't say I'll never use it again but every time I think about it, it just seems likes too much trouble to hassle with. I put a clear plastic dust cover over it but now I'm thinking I should switch it out for a piece of black canvas or something. If I can't see it, maybe I won't feel so guilty.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Ms. Fit

I'm another one who is a packrat and can't get rid of anything. I have a ton of stuff - all of which has already been mentioned - that I haven't used in a while. But I can't get rid of it because every so often I find myself digging for some old embellishment because it'll work just right for my layout. And I see a lot of things come back around in popularity with a new way of using them. So I just keep everything - just in case...!

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Mary W.

I think I'm done trying the misting, for now at least. It just looks ugly when I do it and I end up trashing the project and starting over or the darn thing clogs just when it's looking ok. I get too frustrated. It looks so nice when other people do it though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to AmyWho

I've never tried misting! I can guarantee I would make a mess with that!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo

I was thinking that I'm not trendy enough to get rid of or over anything, but I have to agree that those sparkly mist sprays aren't something I'm jumping up and buying any more of soon. And yes, it is for the same reasons already mentioned. They are virtually impossible to unclog in the first place and also seem to be something I can't make look pretty on my page. I always seem to overdo it I think... or simply pick the entirely wrong color to start with... I don't know.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KatieJo

I'm not trendy at all - just got tired of the eyelets (although I have been shown some new uses for them). I got tired of the way they looked decorating my pages, I got tired of setting them and them being a tiny bit crooked or out of alignment (impossible to correct) and I got tired of not pressing the Crop-O-Dile enough and they smooshed lop-sided or too hard and the paint on them cracked and split.

When I discovered brads they took over for the eyelets and then when I discovered the enamel dots - well my brads are sitting lonely in a huge container. However, I still go to my brads for the center of flowers because that is how I hold them together.

Veteran

I have loads of old stickers that I will probably never use. Big Lot's had these huge rolls for $5 (years ago) and I had to have every one they had. Now I have a box full and won't ever use that many. I sure saved lots of money at the time, though! I don't use decorative scissors any more, either. I sold bunches of punches and dies when I got my Cricut and am now slowly replacing them. Love them for intricate cuts that the Cricut has trouble with.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Mimiof123

I hate eyelets I use to like them now I don't I have lots and lots of eyelets that I haven't even use

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to southern lady

Several years ago I purged my stash and gave away my trio of paper crimpers. I wish I had them now-- That is just one example of things I wish I hadn't gotten rid of so now when I purge (which I do 2 x a year) it is paper and embellies from sets I have used on layouts and had left over or paper from stacks I bought that I won't use.
So I don't purge tools but I do paper, stickers and embellishments.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to terrihooper

I think I would be hesitant to purge tools too. I will probably never get rid of my Crop-O-Dile - may never use it again but will hang on to it "just in case".

TJCraftyWitch
Governor
TJCraftyWitch

I don't use eyelets much either...I like the snap style ones..for wrapping twine around...but the others I will probably purge when we go to move in March. I will give the stuff away to the local Nationwide's Children Hospital. They have loved the supplies mom and me have given away over the years. I might keep it aside for them, but this time also volunteer my time and help them make mini albums and such while there.

Whatever we don't like, kids are more then happy to play with even if its messy. I will be purging stickers, scraps of cardstock and printed paper again...so we can thin or stash again. The one thing that will prbably finally go the rest of the way is the deco scissors..I am like mom we have machines, and punches to use..leave those scissors be...lol

Niki8130
Veteran
Niki8130
In response to Luvmyfam

I stopped using eyelets and brads too. To much work!!! I like to scrap simple and quick.

I recently started using a lot of alpha stickers. I hated them for awhile but they are so much easier to use then punching the things out. That's another think I haven't used in forever my sizzix. I have a tone of punches just sitting there but it is such a chore to pull the thing out I stopped using it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Niki8130

Niki - I still love the look of the brads but I am much quicker to reach for enamel dots. Those things are awesome! You just stick them on and they really do take the place of brads for me! The only thing I seem to grab the brads for anymore is the center of flowers because the brads hold the flowers together. But I rarely use flowers!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

• terrihooper Said:
Several years ago I purged my stash and gave away my trio of paper crimpers. I wish I had them now-- That is just one example of things I wish I hadn't gotten rid of so now when I purge (which I do 2 x a year) it is paper and embellies from sets I have used on layouts and had left over or paper from stacks I bought that I won't use.
So I don't purge tools but I do paper, stickers and embellishments.

You can still get a paper crimper if you want it. I have one but it is really a shared tool with my MIL.

I would say the one thing I wish I had not purchased is some of my stickers including some of the alphas. Fortunately I did not spend a fortune on those and I can gift them to my niece who is getting into crafting.

I have a lot of tools and paper and supplies now so that I only purchase something if I REALLY LOVE IT. That's a good feeling. I think my next significant purchase will be a Cameo.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

I would love to have a Cameo! My main problem is I don't have anywhere to put it. My 8' craft desk is now covered and I like to be able to work on 4-6 layouts at a time. Then with my computer and Cricut - just no room in the Inn!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

• Henri Jean Said:
I would love to have a Cameo! My main problem is I don't have anywhere to put it. My 8' craft desk is now covered and I like to be able to work on 4-6 layouts at a time. Then with my computer and Cricut - just no room in the Inn!

That is exactly part of the reason I did not ask for it this Christmas. The sale was very tempting. Hubby and I are planning on flipping our office areas. In order to do that I am working on storage around here that even includes the garage! It's turned into a huge project, not that some of the household purging didn't need to happen anyway. But my area is a mess right now and until we switch I want to hold off to see what else need like new shelves. Even if I had it now I would not be able to play with it.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

• Henri Jean Said:

Henri, may I suggest a larger table!!!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to ChansGram

i have alphas left over from a k nd company paper pack and trying to come up with ideas to use them up.

i know we've gone over this before but maybe someone has come up with some new and exciting ideas that i can use otherwise they'll be stickers on envelopes

i figure there must be ideas on YT but can't find any

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to cescrapper

I wish I had room for a bigger table. If this one were 1" bigger it wouldn't fit!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics