Username Post: Has scrapbooking peaked?        (Topic#1593993)
Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

This past weekend, while struggling to make just a VERY simple photo book on shutterfly, I pondered the question, When did scrapbooking get to be “too much”? Too many supplies requiring TOO much time. I have huge double closet full of supplies but there I was loading photos into a simple digital photo album because I just couldn’t deal with all of the stuff any more!

What exactly was that point when scrapbooking turned into this massive combination of supplies and complicated techniques? My guess is it started when the celebrity scrapbookers got involved. Love you Tim but I am looking at you. And the larger stores took notice. Martha. And the magazines tooted so many multi layered, technical tutorials you have to take a class just to understand them.

Now it seems several companies are scaling back and offering simpler ways to scrapbook again. Have we seen the end of crazy new expensive tools & techniques? Do you think scrapbooking has peaked?

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Perhaps. Life is a pendulum swinging back and forth every 30 years. I am wild about my supplies and my new scrap-room will be awesome. Just moved yesterday. But i don't want it cluttered with too much stuff. I will need to be careful. I will never go digital. Hate the pc. Scrapping is my joy, my therapy, my go to for peace. I will never give it up!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I agree with you, Donna, I will never go digi because after spending too many years staring at a computer at work, I don't want to have to include it in my down time. I, too, have an entire room dedicated to my "hobby", but it brings me peace and relaxation in an otherwise crazy world. When I sit down to create a LO or a batch of cards, having the supplies at hand and the tools necessary to come up with the desired results makes me happy. My room is my sanctuary and my investment in supplies and tools is much better spent that way than on therapy, lol.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to bonprof

I sure hope not. I have been doing this for 10 years and haven't tired of it yet. I think all the new tools, supplies and techniques is what keeps things fresh and exciting in the world of scrapbooking. I admit I have fallen overboard and am swimming up to my neck in Tim Holtz dies and Martha Stewart punches but have enjoyed every minute of it. Simple will never do for me.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to olleharr

This is interesting....I'm new to the party so I haven't tired of anything yet. I also really love the paper art part of it so I can't quite see doing digital, but who knows, I might try that for a project one day. I've tried to not go crazy and really consider stuff before I buy so that I don't end up with a lot I won't use.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CrimsonMama

Maybe one reason why stores are going out of business is that we already have our supplies. I have so much and now just want to use it. I agree, scrapbooking has turned into this massive combination of supplies and complicated techniques. I realized this when I was spending more time organizing than scrapping. In the past, I wanted to learn so much of the "new" but now I just want to make simple pages. I think it is getting harder for companies to keep "topping" ideas and selling us more stuff when we are bulging our storage. Yes, it might have peaked but I hope it is not going away. I find fewer ladies doing it, thus our area has fewer crops to attend.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to wilbur

oh my goodness is that not true, and right now, I can't scrap because my husband and I switched office space and my stuff is everywhere, and of course, I will be reorganizing. I will be painting my new space this week. I'll be too exhausted to scrap when I'm done!

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to wilbur

I hope it hasn't peaked. I've never really thought it was about topping other people's layouts or getting super complicated. To me scrapbooking is about finding your style. If it brings a smile to your face when you look at the finished product,then to me that is a successful layout regardless of how simple or complicated it may look. I do what makes me happy.

As for Tim Holtz stuff, I own none of it because I don't care for the way any of it looks. I never understood the fawning over his products. I do own a number of Martha Stewart punches because they are creative and easy to use.

I think stores go out of business because during down financial times, the unnecessary items get pushed aside for life's more important things like food, clothes, shelter. It will swing back the other way towards more people participating in the art. I also think it can unbelievably overwhelming for someone to walk down a scrapbook aisle or store just as it was when I was walking through Brink's, a painter' s art supply store. There was just too much stuff and it made my head hurt.

The diehards will keep scrapbooking alive and it will return in popularity down the road.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to joshuaminh426

It peaked years ago according to the numbers in sales. I would guess that it is up to scrapbookers and the money they spend as to what will come out. If people buy it, others will sell it. A bunch of people I know have stopped scrapping. Life happens and new trends appear. I hope enough paper companies can stay afloat so there will always be new product.

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to 950nancy

Its funny that this is the first post I see when I come to the forums tonight. I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday while I was scrapping, and again this evening while working on a LO.

I have a whole room dedicated to scrapping at home, and I always thought it was necessary to have. Yes, it is wonderful to have the space and to have everything put away. But, at the trailer (we work out of town and don't want to sell our home, so we stay in our travel trailer) I have a 4 ft. table set up in the corner. I have my necessities. But, the only big "power tool" of scrapping that I have is my Cricut.

My view is that the pictures are supposed to tell the story. Not all the bling, paint, alcohol inks, etc. I use the bare minimums, buttons, bakers twine, straight edge punches. All the embellies beyond that that I have gotten have came from monthly kit clubs. And a lot of that stuff I give away. I think people are realizing that everything needs to go back to basics. I don't think scrapping has peaked, I just think people are realizing they don't need all of the other stuff to create a beautiful page or album.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to m.perk

2.5 billion in sales in 2005. Now it is closer to a billion. Certain crafts lose popularity and businesses have folded like crazy. I love to scrap and love to buy the punches and embellies, but most of my friends that used to scrap have gone onto other crafts. I don't know of very many scrappers that are in their twenties. When I go to crops met people look like they are moms and grandmas. It just is what it is.

AmyU
AmyU 
New Kid On the Block
AmyU
  • AmyU on 02-03-14 09:58 PM

Unfortunately, yes, I do believe it has. Scrapbooking stores are closing all over the place. Products like Project Life are all the rage because it takes us back to a simple photo album style of memory keeping. I'll continue to do it all because I love every bit of it (including digi, pocket page scrapbooking, Cricut/Silhouette, 12x12, Etc.)! Plus, I teach classes to help spark a passion for memory keeping to anyone who will listen. LOL! This industry will never die, but it certainly isn't like it used to be.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyU

Certainly it has. The 'stuff' was partly the reason I went digital in the end.

Too much money, too much stuff, just sitting there being ignored while I blindly bought more, slightly different, paper/alphabet stickers/buttons/brads/ri bbon/tags/inks etc etc etc.

I know that I was entirely responsible for what I bought but the marketing, the latest launches, the trends influenced me more than I admitted and I got suckered too often.

I can't tell you the relief when I donated it all and didn't have the guilt of looking at it all sitting there. Digital is a lot less costly.

Everything goes in waves and I think this scrap wave has crested but that's not to say another one won't be along in a few years.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to scrappercaz

I have a room full of stuff for traditional scrapping yet I do a yearly album of our best family pics from the whole year on Shutterfly.
I do yearly calendars on that site too for the inlaws and my sister.
I made cards for the teacher gifts there this year using my own photos because I'm not a card maker. At. All.
And I made 3 photo books of my dss1's senior pics as gifts for Christmas. These books and calendars take HOURS to make on the computer so it's a labor of love also.

I plan on (and have been) scrapping those pics for my albums as well because that's my creative outlet.

I love Shutterfly for what I use it for but love my paper and flowers too. I don't care for the postcard style of the project life and other cookie cutter albums-although im sure they are quicker. To me it's like buying a dress for homecoming at a mall store vs making your own. Eventually someone's gonna walk in with the same one.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to ScrappyMama6

I'd say yes, it has peaked... but it will peak again. It's not going to go away, nor are the materials. I'm guessing we'll see fewer new companies succeed and less innovation from the existing companies (not no innovation - just less than in the heyday), but it'll still be strong.

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to ScrappyMama6

I think that each of us has individual peaks and valleys with scrapbooking. I do a yearly Shutterfly album so I can easily share photos with family and print 5 copies of the same. I could never do that with traditional scrapbooking. But I still want to do the traditional.

When I started scrapbooking it was to make a wedding album. I enjoyed the craft, so I stuck with it. Now I have very little time, but want albums for my kids. So I have simplified my approach.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Frau_Cooney

Although I don't think I'd ever go digital, just because I love handling my supplies so much, I do think that the hobby has peaked. Probably 2 or 3 years ago. I went through a serious accumulation phase (a la the Hoarders video that was on here a couple weeks ago) where I thought I had to have everything out there. Well, as the saying goes, if you had everything, where would you put it? You need containers and organizational products to add to your stuff, and that just means more stuff. Mmm. Reminds me of a George Carlin routine.

But now that I've got all the stuff, it's harder to poke through and find what I want, even though it's organized. I'm intimidated by so many supplies and find myself making very simple LOs and cards. So my new spending is way down from what it used to be. I still impulse-spend, though, but that isn't what it used to be either. I'm buying basic shape punches lately, because I never had any, but otherwise I'm just replacing flowers and cardstock as I use it.

It'd be a real shame if this hobby went out entirely. I don't know what I'd do without my Bazzill fix!

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to meezerpleaser

I agree that it peaked, but then again, no one I know EVER scrapped really so I guess it doesn't bother me much that less people do it.

I think the move to more techniques is more about your personal philosophy. If I wanted a book of photos, I'd use a straight photo album. I want to make art sometimes, and this is my medium. Do I still have pages that are more parred down? Absolutely. I could never do my entire son's baby album in vintage distressed multimedia. For me, I scrap some fairly traditional and some not at all. My traditional pages are not art to me, just pretty arrangements of photos. But sometimes, art is what I want. To each their own.

Also, as for digi, I use some shutterfly drag and drop at times. I do NOT want to spend time on digi, I hate the computer a bit. For instance, I had something like 400 photos from my son's first Christmas. I scrapped a few traditional pages (multiphoto, not tooooo much technique), then I did a few artsy pages, and then, I did a Shuttrfly album with the balance of photos I wanted to keep. For me, I turn to digi when there is high volume of an event where I want to keep a great record. I could fill one entire scrapbook with birthday pics...easier to scrap a few LOs and drop the rest in a digi album.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to aubrieannie

I don't know that I would use the term "peaked", it gives the connotation that it is all downhill from here.

I think it ebbs and flows.

I think right now it is in a period of decline, but so is the economy in general. Also, a hobby of this scale always needs "new". New scrappers, new tools, new ideas and new techniques to keep it fresh and exciting to both new and seasoned scrappers alike. There is a lack of all the new I think.

When mists were new, it was like WOW!! Then a die cut resurgence of epic proportions, then the Cricut and Cameo were introduced; we need something just as revolutionary to get the interest back up. It will happen. In the meantime, I am still scrappin'!

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to Manda_K

I don't think the process of scrapbooking will ever go away. It'll always be around - in one form or another. After all, it's been around since there's been paper!

I do think the material aspect of it is saturated. I love paper, embellies, and all the stuff, but sometimes I feel like there's too much. And it comes out too fast - I can't keep up with it all. I can scrapbook the rest of my life on just the stuff I have, so I buy less and less. Long-time scrapbookers are probably all in the same boat.

Somebody above mentioned that they don't know any scrapbookers in their 20s. I do - my daughter-in-law, my nieces, some of my son's friends. But they have less disposable income, so they don't buy all the 'stuff.' They keep it simple with paper, a few stickers, and things they can make themselves. That may be where the trend is going back to - at least for a little while.

I agree that it ebbs and flows. Personally, I'm just holding steady!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Mary W.

I loved what everyone is sharing. I just moved in to a large home with a scrap room. I have a lot of stuff, but not as much as many i know. My bookcase did not fit in the room, so i need to find one that will. I don't want to be the crazy hoarder scrapbook lady. Just want to enjoy my hobby.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Mary W.

I'm another one who will never go digi. For one thing, I'm just "computer literate" enough - nor do I care to be. As long as I can buy good acid-free cardstock and adhesive, I can ride the wave. I have all the Cricut cartridges one could ever need (plus 3 Cricuts to use them in), and embellishments enough to last half a lifetime. Would I miss the shopping? Sure! - But then again, maybe if I wasn't out shopping for more, more, more, I'd actually get some layouts done.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to meezerpleaser

I think a lot of things go through a FAD stage where a lot people get into something because their friends are doing and then they lose interest or because it's not that important they let other things take precedence over it. I think that Creative Memories business helped create this peak because people were actually going out and encouraging people to get into scrapbooking. Then they find out it is a pretty expensive hobby and give it up.

For me, scraping encompasses several things. I love the paper art, the ink the die cutting, the making flowers. I also love photography so even tho' I'm not an expert, I now and then have a photo that begs a special treatment. Another very time consuming hobby I have is Ancestry research. I'm creating special pages for my research books. I can think of a lot of reasons to keep going.

I have several different types of pages I like to work on. I have a motorcycle album, dog album, football album, family heritage album and then there is my 8.5 x 11 that I use for Ancestry research. I don't even have kids and still can think of different albums I want to do. Some people think you have to have kids and that is why they scrapbook...of course you want to document you kids growing up. But they look at you like you're nuts when they find out you don't have kids and you still scrap!

My MIL says when she gets all of her trips overseas done she is going to give it up. I said how? You have four grandkids! You have to keep up with that. I told her that we can do cards when we have a lot done.

I've not even started cards...YET!

Edited by CrimsonMama on 02-04-14 03:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to dwelch

Isn't it the same with adults as it is with children? There was a surge in new toys, but there are only so many hours in the day to play with them. Once you have them and are playing with them, you aren't out spending money on more toys, only consumables like adhesive and albums.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to RedSquirrel UK

My scrap room no doubt looks like a streamlined version of hoarders, but I scrap a lot and do ton of books. I think I am in the middle of at least a dozen now. I do PL pages now and again when I want to cover something quickly or change up the look, but I would have a hard time doing only clean scrapping. I also have a hard time doing pages full of stuff. I am so middle of the road.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

Red Squirrel, for some reason I am pretty good at still buying when I have plenty of toys. I consider it a challenge.

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to 950nancy

I think it has peaked, unfortunately. Other options are taking over that require less time, effort, and money, which are all things that are tight for many people.

I'm not as into it as I used to be, but I still enjoy it. However, I think I will be focusing scrapbooking on gifts and things like holidays. I'm getting married in a year and a half and I've already decided that I will not scrapbook it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to 950nancy

Well, I agree with pp that say it 'ebbs and flows'....I don't believe it is downhill from here and I don't believe the industry is dying as I've read on other posts and other boards.

I really believe that scrapbook stores close (even large ones in the U.S.) and magazines shut down because the internet makes a lot of things obsolete. All types of retail stores are closing...a huge department store here in Canada recently announced it's closing and it's been around for decades...
All kinds of magazines and newspapers are shutting down, not just scrapbooking magazines...
People shop online, businesses advertise online...it is just the way it is these days, computers are taking over in lots of ways...

I think digital scrapbooking or digital memory keeping (to use a broader term) has taken a larger role these days....No one scrapbooked digitally when I started in 2008....Now, a few of my friends have gone digital and it is extremely popular.
A lot of the young people are memory keeping....they use Facebook and Twitter and Instagram....

If you follow CHA peaks, you'll notice that some of the manufacturers (ie. MME) released lines with 6x6 paper pads and embellishments but NO 12x12 papers!
I think this shows the growing trend of pocket scrapbooking and digital die cutters....
For me, as an example, I use white cardstock as a background and I could easily do pages with 6x6 paper pads to cut my titles, add layers and embellishments, add some wood veneers and/or enamel dots and voila!......Not that I want 12x12 papers to go away completely...

It is all changing but I really don't believe that it is going anywhere....look at how many scrapbooking blogs are out there, how many podcasts (there are 2 new ones that popped up in the last month that I know of!), how many people are on here and the other site.....

As for me, I love to design stuff on the computer and play with stuff in my Cameo software, to learn PSE and edit photos....but I will never give up my paper scrapbooking. I love the craft part of it. However, I scrap largely for the stories....I want to leave my son a book of stories from his childhood, from my life, his history.....
If it wasn't for the stories, I could just put the photos in pockets and leave it at that.
As far as the toys, I love shopping and receiving new supplies....I love the inspiration I get from new things and...I just love shopping!

flutterbye0419
Diva
flutterbye0419
In response to Mary W.

while I won't go full digi I do come across some kits I like digi every now and then, I love working with mypapers, cutting, gluing, inking, all of it just makes my albums all the better, I will put in the few digi's that ive made, but I will never go full blown digi.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Mary W.

I agree. I think there are enough of us throughout the world that it won't disappear. It just isn't making the money that it used to so the rule of supply and demand has kicked in. Since I still love the craft, I wish we still had all of the options from 10 years ago. It will force me to shop my own stash more often, and that is a good thing.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to 950nancy

Just curious...what are the options from 10 years ago that aren't around now? (it just seems to me that there are a lot of options now...)

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to kiyawinn

I was wondering the same thing. I feel overwhelmed at times as it is.

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to aubrieannie

• aubrieannie Said:
For me, I scrap some fairly traditional and some not at all. My traditional pages are not art to me, just pretty arrangements of photos. But sometimes, art is what I want. To each their own.

That's exactly the way I feel. 90% of the scrapbookers I know simply document their lives and preserve pics, which is wonderful. I do that sometimes, too. I, however, have to have an artistic outlet. My passion is creating beautiful three-dimensional art using pics of people and things I love.

I work on a computer all day, and have had many jobs, some of which included graphic design. I don't want to do much other than pic manipulation and browsing for ideas on the computer in my down time, so I'll never go digital.

Crafting is "faddish", so it doesn't surprise me that things fall in and out of favor. Memory preservation will always be around, whether it be digital or tactile art. Physical scrapbooking is still big business, though, and will not disappear anytime in our lifetime.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to kiyawinn

There were so many online stores and new products from a ton of different companies. We also had more opportunities to scrap in town with independent sellers of supplies. It just seems like companies are disappearing or buying each other out. I think it is due to the economy, online magazines, and other reasons. We also used to have expos from several different companies that had a warehouse full of booths. Those are now very rare and quite small.

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to 950nancy

I can't imagine doing digital scrapbooking. I like playing with the papers and embellishments, inks and tools. I don't even care to do project life because I enjoy layering papers when designing pages. I hope there are enough of us who feel the same way to keep the craft suppliers going.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ddcmsmom

I went to a crop at my LSS this past weekend. I enjoy them because I get to meet people who share this hobby, but, I am the only one out of 16 ladies who used inks, mists, stencils etc and even distressed! One of the ladies was a digi scrapper. I do feel a bit out of place because I make noise and a huge mess, but I still have fun. It is all about what you want to do.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 02-06-14 08:24 AM
In response to Mary W.

I think it has. For now. And I am okay with that, other than missing my friends that would scrap with me. I think when we are all less busy they will come back, but for now, it is just me. I was actually just thinking of this when I was at Archivers today. I am seriously bummed it is going out of business and that was probably my last time in there We have no other one near by and I hate buying online as I can't touch it. So sad!

I too will never go digital. I just think those books look meh compared to a real page, but that is me. LOL

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to poi

• soccermom23 Said:

I too will never go digital. I just think those books look meh compared to a real page, but that is me. LOL

With all due respect I hope you realise that those books don't represent all that digital scrapping is about? And our pages are just as 'real' just achieved via a different technique.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 02-06-14 12:12 PM

I shouldn't have said real, I am sorry. I ment traditional scrap booking. I wasn't trying to imply digital is any less real to anyone.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to poi

Thanks

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

I think I understand what she may have been trying to say. While I know that digi scrapbooking does require skill and knowledge, and are every bit as "real" as the traditional scrapbooks, the digi style lacks the textural elements and depth that I prefer. I can appreciate the digi LOs that I've seen as an additional art form, and I've seen some that were truly gorgeous. But for my taste, the digi just isn't an option.
If I enjoyed being on the computer in my off hours, a combination of digi/traditional might be an option. But as I've worked in an office on a computer my entire career, and simply detest office work, the computer is simply another reminder of how many years I've wasted doing a job I hate.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to 950nancy

• 950nancy Said:
2.5 billion in sales in 2005. Now it is closer to a billion. Certain crafts lose popularity and businesses have folded like crazy. I love to scrap and love to buy the punches and embellies, but most of my friends that used to scrap have gone onto other crafts. I don't know of very many scrappers that are in their twenties. When I go to crops met people look like they are moms and grandmas. It just is what it is.

It's interesting you say the high was in 2005. When I returned to scrapbooking in 2007, I was already getting the feeling that the scrapbooking "glory days" were slipping by. When the fun, trendy Local Scrapbooking Stores closed their doors it seemed like "the writing was on the wall".

But why would the industry push so much stuff? and make the hobby SO complicated? It went from mainstream to a select cliental to who? back to mainstream with simpler approaches. I know it's about making a profit, but it's like they killed a lot of the enthusiasm for the hobby. Too much excitement (new materials, techniques, tools) caused overload.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

My opinion is that quite a few scrapbookers branched out into other paper arts, in addition to their scrapbooking. I scrapbook, I make a ton of cards each month, I do mixed media projects, and various other crafts using the same supplies as all the above. With the various crafts I do, it is essential to have access to a variety of tools, supplies and techniques, to keep all my projects from looking the same.
Whether one just scrapbooks or does a variety of paper arts, one always has the option of how simple or complex they want their art to be. At least with new products and tools introduced frequently, everybody has plenty of choice.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to chocolateaxel

I think the tight economy forced a lot of changes for everyone. the magazines that didn't close went digital. a lot of other companies are making similar decisions.

the deals aren't as good as they used to be, even on this site. free shipping used to happen monthly, it doesn't anymore. and it used to be save 10 when you spend 50, now its save 5 when you spend 80.

if I do buy things its been from other scrappers, not companies. I don't buy as much new stuff because I haven't liked them.

I don't think the hobby is going away, the market is just correcting itself.

leonee 
New Kid On the Block
In response to Mary W.

Ive always kept it pretty simple.Alot of those complicated layer techniques etc were too much for me.I had a stroke at 15 so too fine motor.I have my cricut,and zyron.Iprefer great paper and stickers,etc.I lovre the bling my daughter is diva but the bulky embellies I dont care for.I think it peaks and dips regularly just as trends do.I would never do digital takes fun out ofmaking the pages.Added bonus for me with scrappin is its great for eye hand coordination and fine motor .

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to leonee

I actually think the market itself is partially responsible for burning us out. For example (and it's ONLY an example, not the only case), Cricut used to be something that everyone looked forward to. The put out a new cartridge every couple months and we anxiously awaited it. They had one machine and we were really excited when they came out with a new model. Now we are deluged with new cartridges and they have how many machines. It's like we become inundated with just too much. Kind of like kids on Christmas morning who end up playing with the empty boxes because they're just too overwhelmed with all the new stuff.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to dwelch

my feelings exactly! Too much stuff and too tittle time to learn, use, and craft.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
I actually think the market itself is partially responsible for burning us out. For example (and it's ONLY an example, not the only case), Cricut used to be something that everyone looked forward to. The put out a new cartridge every couple months and we anxiously awaited it. They had one machine and we were really excited when they came out with a new model. Now we are deluged with new cartridges and they have how many machines. It's like we become inundated with just too much. Kind of like kids on Christmas morning who end up playing with the empty boxes because they're just too overwhelmed with all the new stuff.

And for newer scrapaholics like me, all of this has made if very confusing...what machine do I want, what techniques. I can see some becoming overwhelmed with it and just lose interest.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Unique scrapper

I agree, it can be very overwhelming. But I find when I buy online I tend to buy what I need and I'm a little pickier about my purchases. When I'm out in the stores shopping I'm like a kid in a candy store and that cart fills up fast. Gotta try everything. Needless to say most of my shopping is now done online. Maybe that's part of what killed off the LSS. Too much competition not only with the big box stores but the online stores as well.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:

Ha ha! If playing with boxes means just organizing my stash every weekend, I believe you are right.

Kimberly Rae Cole
Diva
Kimberly Rae Cole

I think it may have, I live in the Sacramento Valley in CA and virtually ALL of our local scrapbook stores are gone. There were at least six that I can count. That and I have seen the thickness of Creating Keepsakes get thinner and thinner. We have three crafting chains in our area, Michaels, Hobby Lobby and JoAnne's and they all carry scrapbook supplies, but not to the level of what SB.com does and the online vendors. I haven't scrapped in a long time, it used to be my 'therapy'... I have missed it.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Mary W.

well, there certainly is a lot of ... STUFF involved in scrapbooking!!!!!!! But I adore it and have a room dedicated to it which I am happy with. I really Hope it never goes out of populariy. I think the big name stores will survive but the little stores may fall short. idk hope it thrives like it has been !!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to Kimberly Rae Cole

it must have been a very long time since you have scrapped since Creating Keepsakes magazine is no longer printed. You can only get he on-line edition since the end of 2013

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to Unique scrapper

This past weekend, my sister and I went to a LSS an hour from home that is quite large, carries a wide variety of products, and always has the most recent products. I couldn't believe how crowded it was! There were at least 30 - 40 people in the crop room and many people just shopping. After reading this thread over the last few days, I was so happy to see so many people there. The woman who runs this store really seems to know what her customers want, and people come from a distance to shop there. (My sister makes the hour long trip monthly.)

Mama2Thomas
Pro
Mama2Thomas

For me it definitely has peaked. I think I'm not actively scrapping these days because my supplies overwhelm me and trust me, I don't even have that much. Also the lack of time is affecting my desire to scrap along with all the overly complicated new techniques.

It probably took me 6-8 months to complete a 20 page 12x12 album of my Hawaii vacation, when a friend spent a few hours on Shutterfly and put together a beautiful album showcasing her Disney vacation. While my album is probably more unique, hers was ready almost instantly to share. Definitely an attractive option for those short on time.

However, I don't think I will ever fully abandon scrapbooking. I recently created a poster board to share about Chinese New Year with my son's 2nd grade class. No fancy techniques, just matted some pictures, typed up some facts on printer paper, and cut out some letters for the title. Everything was just glued down on the poster board. I enjoyed every minute of it and both the kids and teacher LOVED it. So I think I will go back to simpler times when I resume scrapping.

CASBa
CASBa 
Governor
CASBa
  • CASBa on 02-11-14 01:15 PM
In response to Mama2Thomas

I think there is are people who will move away from it if they just want something pretty, like a photo book, to display photos. Others, like me, are in it more for the process and the enjoyment of the process. The pages aren't what matter to me. It's sitting down and having a creative outlet. There will always be people who want to create like that.

I am really sad that there are fewer places to buy supplies in a brick and mortar setting. My go to store was Archiver's and I was so very sad when they announced they were going out of business. I hate shopping at M's, J's or HL for scrapbooking supplies. They are just so limited.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Mama2Thomas

I have a love/hate relationship with Shutterfly. On the one hand, I like that I can make a nice bound printed book for not a lot of money. But on the other hand, unless things have really changed with their site, it's quite a cumbersome process. Especially if you want to customize the page layouts.

I did a couple of the small 8x8 books through them after my daughter was born just to get something done, but it was so frustrating. I wanted to do one of those little books for each quarter of her first year, but I only got two of them done. I just used the backgrounds and stuff on the Shutterfly site so they weren't as cute as if I would have used regular digiscrapping stuff.

If given the choice, I would much rather scrap traditionally with paper. I think digital can be very nicely done, and Shutterfly has it's place, but for me personally it's a much more satisfying experience to work with paper, photos and glue. I probably will scrap some of those same baby photos traditionally at some point just so I can add more journaling about her birth story, etc. but for now at least that much is done so I won't worry about it when I have bigger fish to fry! (For the record, she'll be four in a few months, LOL, and I still don't have her baby book done.)

Mary

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to CASBa

I try very hard to support my local scrapbooking stores which aren't particularly close to where I live. I only started scrapbooking in 2012, but I really enjoy the whole process of designing a layout and seeing it come to fruition. I'm a teacher and I realized my bulletin boards have always been large scrapbooks.

Again, I don't think the craft will be going away, but it will change and new people will find the craft while others will move on to other things. I won't stop scrapbooking even though my sister keeps telling me that going to Costco and having them put together a photo book is so much easier, cheaper, and nicer. Her books just don't speak to me and I would miss the joy of the work and the art.

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom
In response to joshuaminh426

Josh, it's great to hear that new people are still getting into scrapbooking. I have a friend who only started recently (at my instigation!) and one of my sisters just started a couple years ago.

I'm actually spending more time scrapbooking now than I did a couple of years ago, or even a year ago. After twelve wonderful years of homeschooling my kids, which didn't leave a lot of time or energy for my hobbies, I've now graduated my youngest daughter, and I'm finally ready to get working (playing ). With my daughter's wedding a year ago, and our first grandbaby on the way, I have so many new things to scrap, and I still have so many photos left to do from when my kids were young. Scrapbooking has definitely NOT peaked for me. I hope that the remaining stores will be able to hold on.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ddcmsmom

Such an interesting thread…I have to add my two cents...

I have to comment about stores closing, a lot of people opened stores because they loved scrapbooking. The industry was in its growth stage. Loans were easy and cheap. Sales were easy to come by, people came in and would buy anything and everything. It was all new. It was a paper gold rush.
However It didn't mean that these store owners were suited for retail and the demands that come with it.

I was always surprised by store owners who only bought what they liked not necessarily what their customers would be interested in. For example, I asked one small store owner about a new line I was looking for and she said my customers are more advanced. Feeling unwelcome and insulted I never shopped her store again. She was one of the first to go as crops just became her and her friends.
Naturally when the down turn happened they went out of business.The stores that stayed understood business and customer service.

Overall the industry is maturing so naturally there will be mergers, store closings and more streamlined distribution practices. I don't think its going down so much as it just changing phases in the business cycle.

As someone else said about trends, look at the interest in the Project life and how many of you talked about making simpler pages. That goes back to 10 years ago however our page design knowledge is vastly improved.

There are far too many of us who love paper for this industry to die off.

Edited by jaxxan on 02-12-14 10:11 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa

I think that,rather than peak, scrapbooking is shifting. Yes, there have been way too many things out there. For instance, we had the original Cricut, then it exploded (not the Cricut, but the trend...lol). Everybody and their brother came up with the own version of the Cricut. Then it became digital cutting with the Silhouette, then everybody and their brother came up with their version of the Silhouette. So a store stocks up 10 different versions of the same machine and, or course, many are not going to sell. Especially because we can buy precut everything! Tattered Angels came up with Glimmer Mist, now there are a thousand different versions out there. If the market is flooded, how many companies are going to make a real profit?

Crafting Magazines started losing readership when youtube and blogs came out. So you don't see as many crafts magazines out there anymore. I think that there is too much of the same things in the market. Scrapbooking became like the .com boom. At the end, a few companies stayed and most did not.

But scrapbooking has been around way before the brand names, the expensive embellishments and tools, since before it was trendy. Back when our grandmothers used to put their photos, movie tickets, tree leaves and dry flowers in photo albums and adhere them with tape or sticky film. Its never going to go away because people are sentimental and will always want to keep physical items that remind them of good times, family and friends.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to jaxxan

• Quote:
I was always surprised by store owners who only bought what they liked not necessarily what their customers would be interested in. For example, I asked one small store owner about a new line I was looking for and she said my customers are more advanced. Feeling unwelcome and insulted I never shopped her store again

There is a local store near me that I love. I should say, I love the store but not the owners or people that work there. It's a cute tiny place stuffed with great products and they offer classes and crops. My first time to venture in, the one person working was apparently getting ready for a class and was in the crop area with a cuttlebug. I could have robbed her blind because she never said a word to me and I was the only person in the store. The second time in, there were a couple of other customers but the person working was eating lunch and when she realized I was there, she came out from behind the counter and was talking to me chewing food! I was grossed out. I could not believe the rudeness. At this point I'm starting to think that the store is a cover for something like a drug business.

No, not kidding.

Finally, the third time I went in they were having a sale and there were several people there working and a bunch of customers, it was fun to talk to people. It seemed like the real deal.

There is another store that is also a similar shop but I've not had such a weird shopping experience there. Unfortunately, it's not as convenient.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 02-12-14 02:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Oh Vicki,

You are much more forgiving than I am but I think my lack of tolerance comes from years of working in retail management. I have no patience for shoddy treatment of customers especially by the owner.

Thanks for the laugh with the drug front comment. That was too good! I am glad that they finally proved otherwise, I would hate for the urban legend to be that scrapbook stores are fronts for drug deals. It would put our paper addictions in a whole different light.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to jaxxan

Jill

• Quote:
It would put our paper addictions in a whole different light.

You got me there!

Veteran

You know it's funny. I'm finding scrapbookig is like any other hobby, it can eat you up if you let it. And to figuring out how to keep it from eating you up is almost an entire other hobby. I don't think we can blame it on all the stuff though, I think it's just comes with the territory of creativity. Honestly, before there were all these supplies, I would spend 6-8 hours on a scrapbook page.

But I know what you mean about feellig overwhelmed. I've had to say "no" to stamps and other entire scrapbook categories (like die cuts) just because I feel overwhelmed enough by my other supplies (and the cost of them). Other people would probably do without all the embellishments I buy and consider stamps a better purchasee because they can be reused. But for me, the entire idea of being able to add another art form to the one I'm already using. I'm also finding I can get rid of some of the old stuff I bought that doesn't fit my style now and have only the stuff I have ideas for on my scrapbook shelf. As I say, coming up with these systems of prioritization are almost as much work as the actual scrapbooking, but to me it's worth it. As one of my art teachers tried to teach me:"Part of art is learning how to run a project and not let the project own you." I'm just glad she didn't grade me on that factor during class.

Edited by preraphaelitess on 02-13-14 04:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ddcmsmom
Expert
ddcmsmom

I had to look at your profiles, jaxxan and CrimsonMama, to see whether either of you lives near me, because your descriptions sounded like an LSS in my area. This store is renowned for, well, less than stellar customer service. However, she is still open.

We have a marvelous store about an hour away. She carries a huge selection, and really seems to pay attention to what her customers want. Her employees are always cheerful, so the store is a happy place to go. Though it's a long drive, I find my way there every few months. She deserves to be in business for a long time.

NHScraper
New Kid On the Block
NHScraper
In response to Mary W.

I feel the same way, I use to love to SB and be on this site,but it became so overwhelming for me and I stopped everything for 3 years. Just yesterday I was in my craft room organizing stuff and came across a scrapbook I made, it was simple and it had simple journaling and I lived it.

I am making a book for my friend fit her first child and came back to SB.com

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ddcmsmom

That is funny ddcmsmom that you checked to see if we all were going to the same store. That is too bad that we are in different parts of the country but still have the similar experiences.

Mary W welcome back!

Miclip
Miclip 
Tenant
Miclip
In response to jaxxan

Wow, we were just having the same discussion at a crop a couple weeks ago. I hope it hasn't reached it's peak....I'm just getting my second wind. I started scrapbooking in 1995 after going to a CM party. I loved the scrapbooking, just not the style of CM, but it got me going. Life became busy, so I wasn't able to scrap much...about 4 years ago, I picked it back up. I live in Virginia, outside Washington DC...the LSS is always packed, and their monthly crops are full months ahead of time. We have several area groups that hold large weekend crops...the one two weeks ago, had over 80 scrappers, and was filled. There 's a waiting list for the crop to be held in April...I'm number 37 on the waiting list. I love it all...I get my hands dirty with the gesso, and inks, but love a plain/clean page as well. Depends on my pictures or mood! I'm always online looking for inspiration (or a LO to scraplift)...recently I bought supplies from Australia, that was a first! But don't worry, if all the LSS and online stores shut down, I'm pretty sure I have enough supplies to pass around to a couple hundred of us!! Get scrappin' signed this Shabby Chic/country/vintage/art deco/digi/retro/hybrid/cl ean and simple/freestyle/American kind of girl!!!

Tenant
In response to Mary W.

I sure hope not. I've got so much I still want to try

Renee305
Idol
Renee305
In response to 950nancy

After having a year off from scrapping while creating our DIY wedding and coming back in head first I think the whole industry has changed, not only stores closing but magazines have become smaller/thinner or gone digital (which I hate because I like to flick through and leave post it notes on ideas or techniques to try), and products are becoming more expensive too.

I've even noticed the change on here too with gallery comments on each others pages. It used to be my fav thing to do every morning jump on and see what people have created overnight leave my comments and read my own, now it almost feels like a wasteland, everyone I used to chat to on a daily basis is either gone or online rarely. And now your lucky to get one or two comments per page.

As a young scrapper (29) I'm a bit isolated as I don't know a single other person around my age that scraps, sb.com was my oasis to share my scrapping work with others and the encouragement I I received is what helped push me to the next level with my scrapping and to try new things. Now my husband is left with me shoving them in his face and I'm lucky to get a "oh that's nice" lol

I too have a MILLION products myself with their own room and I shop online, I find it more affordable using my customer reward points and free postage within Aus. But I really miss the hands on in store shopping but there is nowhere close by to do it.

I will continue scrapping regardless of whether it's cool or trendy or not, after 9 years I'm definitely hooked, there's no dragging me out of my scrap room lol

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Renee305

I've been away from SB.com for a while, it is good to see some of my friends are still around. I suspect that scrapbooking has peaked for the time being at least. Some of the big companies, i.e. Basic Grey, Fancy Pants, Cosmo Cricket don't seem to be so big these days. I agree that the explosion of products overwhelmed a lot of people. I think some people think they have to produce magazine type pages to be worthy. I like to fool around with new products and techniques but lately have been looking for new ways to use what I have without buying new stuff.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to scrap4brains

I notice that I scrap much less, now, than I did for the first few years. That's mostly due to my main subject (ds) going to school. If I'm not scrapping, I'm not buying new supplies, either.

Still, I honestly hope all of this fun, sparkly, inky, painty, creative stuff doesn't ever disappear. DS claimed my long-ignored Stickles to complete an assignment for class. As long as he's willing to invade my stash to create, I'd like to be able to support him.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics