Username Post: Do people get us?        (Topic#1594241)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I have a friend who doesn't understand why i devoted a whole room in my home to scrapbooking. I guess it doesn't matter if she gets it. Do people get us? Maybe not.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to bonprof

Most people I know don't get it. I don't even tell anybody anymore unless I find out they do it too because when I have, they've rolled their eyes, asked why when I don't have kids, or say something that implies I have the most lame hobby on the planet. It's funny because I've asked them what they like to do and their responses have been nothing or watch tv. I guess those are more acceptable hobbies, lol.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to AmyWho

I have several friends who don't scrapbook or do any paper arts, but they have other creative outlets so they understand. I have some other friends who don't have any hobbies other than watching tv or going out to the bars, they simply don't get it at all.
In the overall scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. As long as they don't try to force me to live their lives, they certainly don't have to live mine. Live and let live.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to chocolateaxel

I am sure they don't get it. I have people comment occasionally. No biggie. I don't get some of the things other people do. However, my hubby's love of his boat has enabled me to do a whole lot of scrap shopping. It is a great relationship.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

Some do and some don't - it's just like any other hobby. My other major hobby is video games, and just the same, I have people who do and people who don't.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Great comments. Live and let live is a great expression.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-17-14 06:25 PM
In response to bonprof

Yep - like Aquabunny I play a lot of video games. I also play with Legos and especially minifigs. I seek out roller coasters. I make jewelry. I quilt. I collect bakelite. I collect sterling flatware with a "C" mono. Someday I'd like to play with hot glass again.

It's like any interest or hobby - there are people who understand because they also participate. There are people who may not understand the specifics but, having their own interests and hobbies, can appreciate that you have your own. And there are people who just don't get it at all, and I've noticed that I'm usually never more than just polite with these people, who are (to me) so uninteresting.

There are certainly interests and hobbies that I have ZERO interest in and find the subject matter completely dull, but I appreciate that some people DO find these things fascinating. To me, it's not the specific activity, but the active engagement of the individual that makes something unique and vibrant, whether or not I can appreciate the activity itself in any way. And I generally find that such activity does become more interesting when someone can eloquently express their excitement about it.

I don't see any point in being otherwise, and I certainly don't see any point in wasting time or energy being disapproving of someone else's choice of activity (aside from 'activities' like homicide, of course )

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to stick

Just remember that we've preserved memories in beautiful artistic albums, while their memories are crammed in boxes. Whose photos do you think will be looked at and appreciated more in the future? Pfffft! We win!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to dwelch

Luckily I haven't had too many rude experiences. I'm pretty sure I could turn it around on just about everyone I know and question them about their hobbies or lack there of if I had too. My scrap room is my sanctuary. A place just for me. I can tune the world out and I don't have to share. I don't have to explain it either because the only person it has relevance and value to is me. Just love and enjoy your new space Donna. Don't let them rain on your parade.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to olleharr

Nobody gets it.....some people have no hobbies, I don't get that. You have to love something right?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to PhotobearSam

When I first started scrapping, I thought people with their own scrap room were crazy and that a 6-hour crop was insane. I was SO naïve

Fortunately I had the good sense to keep my mouth shut! I figured that these people knew something that I didn't, and I was right. When people question my scrap room or long crops, I make sure to ask them what their hobbies are. They usually get it after talking about their own hobbies for a bit.

poi
poi 
Tenant
poi
  • poi on 02-17-14 07:30 PM
In response to Luvmyfam

I just call it a craft room, everyone gets that But no, no one has ever said anything, most think it is great, but most of them have a hobby of some sort like it so no bad comments and most get it

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to poi

Most people don't understand my craft hobby until they decide they want me to make something!!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to olleharr

Very sweet comments.

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to Vallee

• Vallee Said:
Most people don't understand my craft hobby until they decide they want me to make something!!!

Lol, so true! For free. It'll only take you a few minutes too.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to AmyWho

No, but there are hobbies that other people have that I don't 'get'. I mean, some people are really into model aeroplanes, collecting walking sticks, bonsai.....they don't do anything for me but that doesn't matter.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to AmyWho

• AmyWho Said:
  • Vallee Said:

Lol, so true! For free. It'll only take you a few minutes too.

That's so my brother and his wife, and then they got mad when I said I didn't have time to make a scrapbook for their god-daughter's birthday or graduation or something. I can't remember what it was. It was something they thought I could do in a couple of days.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to NMlady

LOL! Yeah I'm sure if I told people how long it takes me to create a page they would having something snide to say.

Mary W.
Expert
Mary W.
In response to NMlady

I think it's funny when I tell people about my hobby and tell them I have an entire room devoted to it, I get either "Oh, I used to scrapbook" or "I've always wanted to do that." Both of those comments are followed by "I don't have time to do something like that." My response to that is that I make time because it's what I enjoy doing.

My mother collects buttons. People think that's odd until she shows them what she has and what she does with them. She has beautiful displays. They are fascinated that there are button clubs and auctions just for buttons.

Everybody has their thing, and when people look at me funny or make comments I try to make them realize that just because it's not their thing doesn't mean that it shouldn't be my thing!

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Mary W.

Sometimes i'm afraid to say i scrapbook because to some it's so darn silly or they just don't understand that paper crafing is an artform, as far as i'm concerned, as much as drawing or painting. i wish i had artisic talents my art is my scrapbooking and card making =

Veteran
In response to cescrapper

A couple of years ago I worked really hard making a scrapbook for my best friend for her wedding then found out her husband had made a comment about it being "one of those cheesy scrapbooks". I was cut to the quick, so, yeah, I definitely know what you're talking about. I think "Sticks" made a great point though, it's like any hobby, some people will get it other people won't. A lot of my craftsy friends think it's cool, while my not-so-artsy ones (like my friend's husband) might think it's stupid. And while it's really nice when people understand, there are hobbies I don't get either (cooking for example), so it's all even. I think the cool thing is that 100 years from now, I bet there will be a lot of people who look at the work we did preserving our heritage and think it a work of art. No one will remember the tv watchers and bar hoppers.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to preraphaelitess

To be honest, I still don't know whether I "get it" myself. We have no kids, nobody to pass all this stuff on to. It's all going to get ditched after my days, then people will wonder why I "wasted money" on it.

But I enjoy playing with paper, I enjoy looking back through the scrapbooks, and people enjoy my cards. What's not to get?

The people who don't get hobbies often don't have any of their own. For them, I think it's not scrapbooking that they don't get, but the concept of having a hobby at all. Poor things.

Grammy24
Veteran
Grammy24

I am sure people donot get that I have a scraproom. I love it and I donot push my scrapbook in their space, Usually get comments about they wish they were talented. I have gotten 4 friends to scrap with me . We will be lifetime friends !

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Mary W.

• Mary W. Said:
Both of those comments are followed by "I don't have time to do something like that." My response to that is that I make time because it's what I enjoy doing.

Oooh, the "no time" spiel. I have definitely heard that one. Kind of makes you feel like they're just way too busy to waste their time.....like you do. LOL!

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper

Nope, lots of folks don't understand. D/h is learning, but sometimes when a big box arrives from sb.com and he starts to get the I-don't-get-its, I just send him to Harbor Freight to play with the tools, lol!

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to NMscrapper

Guilty! My very good friend used to talk about scrapbooking and I didn't get it. I don't think I was rude, but I went to a scrapbooking party with her and was hooked. 11 albums in my first year!

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to Frau_Cooney

I get the "no time" thing all the time. But this is from people who go out to dinner or entertain all the time. I would rather scrap then do that!! To each their own, I say.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Just Nora

I, too, hear the "no time" excuse quite often. And it comes from people that I know for a fact spend hours just sitting in front of the tv or on a bar stool. That's fine if that's what they want to do, but don't make a claim of having no free time if you indeed do but choose to fritter it away. I watch a ton of tv, but I watch it while I'm working on my cards and mixed media projects.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

I think a lot of people SHOULD get it because everyone has something the love, their home or garden or reading. My brother collects books. He has a huge library of first editions many signed. He just loves to read!

I do think people get it with me a little bit because I relate it to my Ancestry research...and they get that for some reason.

My new scrap area is 80% done. I'm done painting tho' it might be a while before I have drapes and area rug. And I have shelves from Pier One ordered. I'm soooo tired from painting. I hope I have the time and energy left to complete the challenge for February!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to CrimsonMama

When my SIL says she doesn't have enough time (works from home as a travel agent) I just say we all have the same amount of hours every day. I just choose to use mine differently. I have never really cared what others think of what I do. I get it.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

Some people just won't get it. But it isn't something new - ladies had sewing rooms and the like for years! My grandmother had this amazing huge sewing area in her house!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jennifer Priest

Great topic! I come from a very creative family and I'm pretty sure all of them get it. Some are musicians, others cook or sew, paint or are just generally handy and can fix anything.

LOL, growing up I had to share a bedroom with two sisters (and my brothers had to share rooms too), but my dad made sure my mom had a whole room just for her sewing! She made most of our clothes (for 8 kids) and many of her own so I'm sure it made complete sense for her to have a dedicated space for it.

DH's dad had a "train room" in their basement where he built an extensive model railroad, so he gets it too to a degree. He doesn't argue with me about it because he has a whole 4 car garage that's packed to the gills with his "toys", all of which cost way more than mine!

When someone gives me grief about spending a whole weekend scrapbooking, I just ask them how many hours a week do they spend on Facebook (which I don't do)? Well, there ya go!

joshuaminh426
Veteran
joshuaminh426
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I, too, don't have kids and I am single, but I know my books will find their way into the hands of someone whether they are family or organizations that appreciate the art form and the work that went into my scrapbooks. I do the books for the enjoyment I get out of it. I know my pages are nowhere near the level of many others, but the pages I create make me happy and provides me a creative outlet.

And when I pass on, I believe these books will tell the story of who I am and the people I surrounded myself with and the ways I lived my life. People may not get my hobby, but I am ok with that. I don't get rodeo, country line dancing, or tattoos, but everyone finds their own joy.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to joshuaminh426

• joshuaminh426 Said:
I don't get rodeo, country line dancing, or tattoos, but everyone finds their own joy.

That's a great way to put it! Everyone finds their own joy and I really do feel sorry for those that don't. I also love the comparisons to the space other crafters and hobbyists need. It's definitely a luxury but mostly a necessity to have a dedicated room for your craft.

The one person I knew who seemed to go out of her way to make light of my scrapbooking was my best friend. She just didn't get it.....until she had a grandchild last year. The last photo she sent me was one of her dining room table covered in scrapbook stuff that she said takes her a half hour to take out and a half hour to put away. Now she "gets it"!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

Oh Lisa, that's wonderful! Is she on here?

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

No, she hasn't made it this far.....yet.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

Give her a welcome from us in advance from when she does?

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

LOL! Thanks, will do!

heidihug
Resident
heidihug
In response to olleharr

My SIL says when my mom, sis and I get together to scrapbook and make cards, "Oh, I'm just not creative enough to do that." I've pish-posheded her when she says that. But, then I saw someone try to scrapbook who claimed to be creatively bereft, and...she was right! Some people don't seem to have the knack, or perhaps just don't care or perhaps "get it" enough to try to learn. So, I've learned not to push others to join in paper crafting - though it's wonderful when they enjoy looking at what we've created.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to heidihug

nm- I agree you simply MUST remind your dh that he gets to do fun things also, my man likes to hunt, and throw darts so that is his thing not to mention he is obsessed with sports- hockey, football,etc...
One time (several years ago) my hubby said:
"I'm really happy you make stuff for our family to remember down the line".
oher times he is like more stuff??? It varies!

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to bonprof

I think most of my friends get it or at least respect it. I have quite a few friends who make cards but do not scrapbook and they totally understand. The one's that surprise me, however, are the ones that say, "I'd love to do that (cards or scrapbook), but my husband won't let me." Or even stronger terms! That is so sad...if it's just the easy excuse to not scrapbook, they should just say it's not for them. And if their spouse would really be angry....well, not my business or my problem! I am thankful my husband is supportive of it. Now if I told him i was going to take up bar-hopping his response would be less supportive! ; )

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mj scrappin'

Wow. My husband would never say that. He doesn't get my choral singing, but he would never stop me from doing it.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I think that if a spouse or partner doesn't support something that makes one so happy, that is scary. My partner supports me, but just asks me to not get carried away with spending. That is a challenge for me.

Vivian Lake
Idol
Vivian Lake
In response to bonprof

I think it's more of a misunderstanding of the art form behind the craft. Artists and painters need whole rooms yet people understand that. Painters have been around far longer than the last 20 years. The exception with us is that we spend money without making money. I don't let any of that get to me. These crazy people don't want to deal with me if I didn't have an outlet for my creativity and restless energy.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11
In response to bonprof

I have had people who don't understand but it never really hurt my feelings... since I had a sewing room for many years..having a scraproom doesn't seem weird.. lol I know of people who have no hobbies. I kinda feel sorry for them. Look what joy they are missing in their life. I was in a local charity scrap group that had over 300 scrappers..we met to crop every week. many of them had scrap rooms too.

Expert
In response to anda11

Yup, some people just don't get us! My grandpa passed away last week and I sent an e-mail out to everyone in my church (via the church office) asking if someone would be willing to save me a copy of the obituary. It ran in the newspaper on a day we don't get the paper and I wanted a copy for myself, but also in case anyone in my family wanted a copy................I had several (well-intentioned) people tell me "you know you can go online and print off a copy." sigh...yes, I know, but I am a scrapbooker and its just not the same!!! Even though I will make a photocopy of the one from the paper (that I went ahead and bought on a newsstand, just in case...) I still wanted the original newspaper copy for nostalgia reasons!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to HuskerMom98

oh I totally agree, a actual newspaper copy is the best to have. You can get them on line or old newspaper from micro fiche but it's not the same. I'm not just saying that from a scrapbooking point of view but a genealogical point of view.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Unfortunately, unless they are a another scrapbooker they think we are crazy.

aubrieannie
Veteran
aubrieannie
In response to Sneezy1956

Sticks--you hit it right on the head for me. I don't care WHAT your hobby is. But I care that people have one. I like people who are passionate about whatever it is they love to do. My DH collects action figures. I don't fully "get" it, but I love hearing the excitement in his voice when he explains things to me...when he gets a new toy...when he gets a great deal.

He loves the product of my scrapping...but doesn't quite "get" it. But you know when I know a LO is really good? When he says "wow!" hahaha.

I have a very sweet friend that put it well one day. She saw my (then still not even close to complete) scrap room. She is not a scrapper, but clearly "gets" it. She said, so genuinely "I just love it so much when others find their joy."

Diva

I dont care if people get or not...I love it and when they see what I do...then, they want to know how to do so!

Crafting Marfa
Veteran
Crafting Marfa
In response to bayamonesa1

Well, I'm not married but I've been in a relationship for over 10 years and he is a very supportive person. He buys me stuff for my crafts and gives me his honest opinion (sometimes too honest...lol) But he was to ever tell me that I'm not "allowed" to do something he better jump really high where my leg won't reach or he will get a swift kick in the butt on my way to do it. :-D

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Crafting Marfa

bonprof- I agree !
My bf supports it and has no problem with it but does limit my amount spent on the hobby!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail

bf indulges me on occasion and i think that he "get" s it to a certain degree. He will say stuff like glad you got that photo or thanks to mom yurll always remember that time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics