Username Post: What's a good mat?        (Topic#1594651)
littlepixie12
Tenant
littlepixie12

Hey all. I'm new here and after finishing my first LO I had glitter and glue and ink everywhere on my table I was thinking I probably need some sort of mat for cleanup/protection. Does anyone use this or is there a food one you can recommend?
Thanks!

NMscrapper
Governor
NMscrapper
In response to littlepixie12

Two things come to mind. For messy stuff I use a non-stick mat, but you can't cut on it. If you're not using a cutting mat, I'd also suggest the one below.

Happy scrapping!

littlepixie12
Tenant
littlepixie12
In response to NMscrapper

I don't have any mats, just my kitchen table lol. thank you! I will look into both!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I have the Ranger Ink one, and it's great for messes, but a bit on the small side. I bought one of those blue sewing mats to protect my table. It's great. It was cheap, very large, and has inches marked out on a grid.

DrSatine
New Kid On the Block
DrSatine

I work on a pretty expensive desk and I have to cover it completely for fear of damaging the wood. I swear by the Martha Stewart cutting mat. It comes in two sizes (I use the larger, 24x36 inch size which perfectly covers my desk), takes a lot of punishment from all kinds of crafts, and is easy to clean. The smaller one (18x24), which I also have for smaller surfaces, is more portable if you need to take a mat with you, although I'd probably use the Basic Gray magnetic cutting mat for its greater portability (although BG has apparently stopped making them--get one while you can!). All 3 mats "regenerate" which I guess means if you cut them, the ding closes back up. I do know the MS mats are not heat/sun tolerant--I ruined one by leaving it in the back of my car in the sun for a week. So they can't regenerate from all forms of abuse! Therefore, if you can keep them out of the sun, you've a workhorse cutting mat that will last for many years. I recommend each of these, depending on the size of your workspace.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I highly recommend the Making Memories self-healing mat. You can use a cut knife to fussy cut and it's very forgiving. Also if you get inks or glue on it it easily wipes off. I usually use a stamp cleaning whip on it. Get a large base mat. I also have a TH mat and inks and mist come right off. You can't cut on it tho'. I also have the sew easy mat but that is a specialty mat.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics