Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Meet up/June 2015        (Topic#1596413)
bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I have this crazy, wonderful dream that one day we could meet up and spend time together! For example, one year from now, everyone meet at the Marriott in Anaheim. Would anyone be interested in doing this? A group of rooms would be cheaper than staying in various hotels. Thoughts?

Edited by bonprof on 05-23-14 09:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to bonprof

maybe

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to southern lady

It's a really good idea, however may I suggest picking a location more centrally located? For those of us in the middle of the country, and I know there are a lot of peeps in the eastern states, California might be difficult to get to.
I would definitely be interested, I wonder if coordinating time off for everyone is possible?

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to chocolateaxel

You have a good point. My goal is end of June 2015. I am think of a Friday night through Sunday morning event. We could do dinner Fri, a crop on Sat and then breakfast on Sun morning. What State would be good?

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to bonprof

Denver (I know that's not a state! But you get my point!)

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to ChansGram

Okay, I see how we're playing this, lol! How about Oklahoma City? It's pretty close to the center of the country

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to ChansGram

Denver would be awesome, but Texas would be more central? Come on people. I am serious about this. Please let me know what you think. We have a year to plan, but would need to put a deposit down on a hotel in 2-3 months. I am looking for 25-50 scrappers from this site who want to meet up for an awesome, fun filled weekend. If we have more, that would be wonderful!!

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz

• chocolateaxel Said:
It's a really good idea, however may I suggest picking a location more centrally located? For those of us in the middle of the country, and I know there are a lot of peeps in the eastern states, California might be difficult to get to.

And a tad more so for the non-American members!

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to scrappercaz

You can't get more centrally located than Denver or Oklahoma City ! Just sayin

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to ChansGram

well coming from the UK NY would be more central lol but depending on when and where I might be able to combine with a trip home to Canada so not saying no but not committing either. Although VEGAS baby would be a blast

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to Ladybing Tammy

yea Vegas would be nice.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram

I am not a traveling scrapper, but wouldn't mind going just for the fun! I would love a trip to Vegas as I've never been.
I wouldn't mind Texas either ( especially if it were somewhere next to water)!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to ChansGram

We all need to vote on a location and then really get busy. I would need several commitee members to help me pull this together. I will fly anywhere in the US. I want to be considerate of all others and what would motivate them to come. I think a lot of people would build a vacation around this weekend. Let's take the month of June and really get members here to consider doing the event. In July, we will decide on a committee. In August, we need to put a deposit down on a hotel. The more rooms we have, the cheaper it's going to be.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to ChansGram

The scrapping event on Saturday night would be just one of the items to vote on. It would be hard to travel with scrap supplies, but I have a CM weekender tote that I could bring. It's up to everyone. We would all plan the event.

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill

• Ladybing Tammy Said:
well coming from the UK NY would be more central lol but depending on when and where I might be able to combine with a trip home to Canada so not saying no but not committing either. Although VEGAS baby would be a blast

VEGAS BABY! What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Pink Spoonbill

I vote for texas the ONLY way I could go is if its in texasod ! I know I am not that important!!!!! just suggesting but I LOVE Colorado (no go though for me)
good luck

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 05-23-14 01:32 PM
In response to mindygail

VEGAS sounds fantastic!!!! I would be willing to help coordinate!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to charK

Ok, we will take a final vote at the end of June. We need to get the word out to other friends here..,

katnip05
Resident
katnip05
In response to bonprof

I'd be interested if it was somewhere central. Especially Denver! I lived there for years and am always looking for excuses to visit old friends!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to katnip05

I'd love to go to Denver!! Let's see how others feel.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I know I will definitely be in the minority, but Denver gets a Nay vote from me. For reasons very few people would understand, so won't go into them, lol.

AuntJo
AuntJo 
Queen
AuntJo

Hey...Vegas would work for me! I have free room and board, grandkids, and I could combine it with Dr. Appts.! LOL! I think one of the best FREE things to do in Vegas is to go downtown to Fremont St. at night. Lots of bands, lights, arts, just fun! And you don't have to spend a dime if you don't want to.

But living in Nevada....I would rather go to Denver. I still have free room and board and sisters to visit with. I could just come hang out with you guys all day!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to AuntJo

Thanks for weighing in!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

well the center of the contiguous USA is Lebanon Kansas and if you include Alaska and Hawaii it is Belle Fourche South Dakota

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

i would love to do vegas seen I have a place to stay at

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

so far, Vegas is winning. Let's see how it goes this month. Round up your friends here and ask them to join this thread.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to bonprof

If you are planning for June, then weather in the mid west is to be taken into consideration. Being a native Californian I can't do humidity and that kind of heat. I remember how hot it was in Nebraska visiting family in the summers like it was yesterday only it was a few decades ago.

Southern California is nice with lots to do and its near the ocean. We could also go up the coast towards Pismo or Santa Barbara.

Or better yet, come to Northern California.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jaxxan

I agree! Santa Barbara is charming.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

oh yes I just remembered the time frame - I can't bear heat or humidity.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

What about Colorado? What's the weather like in June?

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I think it depends on your frame of reference, I've been to Colorado in June and thought it was hotter than you know where! It didn't help that so few places had decent air conditioning, and the ones that did have it either didn't have it turned on or it was set so high it wasn't cooling.
I'm extremely sensitive to heat, it doesn't take a very high temp to make me miserable and sick from it. Unfortunately where I live it gets terribly hot, so I spend all my time indoors or in my air conditioned car. I spend my days praying for our very short winter to hurry up and get here, lol!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

I hear Alaska in June is very nice

catzscrapper
Pro
catzscrapper
In response to bonprof

It really sounds FUN but I KNOW I couldn't afford it, so will wish you all well in accomplishing such an exciting event. And I will be envious of those who CAN attend, more Power to you bonprof ! I'll just be hanging out watching to see what happens.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to catzscrapper

I was born and raised in Denver...lived there for 31 years and then we moved to San Diego. Denver has very low humidity and seldom gets over 100°. Few places, even hotels, have a.c. because it really doesn't get hot enough to need it (except for Darla ). All summer it averages in the 80s. Of course anymore it seems weather isn't "normal" anywhere, so I guess any weather extreme is possible...and yes, it has snowed there in June, but definitely not the norm. If anyone has light skin, you burn very fast since the elevation is high and the atmosphere is thinner, so good sun screen is needed.

It rains most summer afternoons around 3:00. In fact my hubby had one guy convinced he was "magic". They were working construction and just before 3, Hubby would start doing a rain dance...and it would rain :>) It doesn't last long, then the sun comes out and dries everything off, and then the late afternoons and evenings are pleasant. The cooling rain (often with thunder and lightning and CO has a lot of lightning!) comes just about the time it starts feeling "too hot".

In contrast, Vegas also has low humidity, but averages in the high 90s and above all summer, including June.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to mrsdriver5

Thanks for the info! Where would you like this shindig to be? Now that i think of it, we will be in ac most of the time in most places. I just think it would be sooooo fun to meet y'all in person!

Edited by bonprof on 05-26-14 02:34 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

Okay, my vote goes to Las Vegas. Yes, it's hotter than Hades there, but they know how to use a/c so as long as we're inside, we'll be comfortable. And it's a fun place to visit.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Ok, another vote for vegas it is!!

crystalmorse
Guru
crystalmorse
In response to bonprof

There are a few retreat places here around the Dallas area I know of. Nice homes. I think a couple of them are on lakes.

Our budget is kind of tight. If you do texas I'm in.

But I would seriously plan on something in a city with a major airport. It will make it a lot easier.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to crystalmorse

I have done Vegas in June and July. It is super hot but everything has great AC. Great public transportation and rooms at good prices.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Vegas has the world's most fun stamp store. Have visited several times. If we are willing to stay off the strip, rooms are very reasonably priced. It is easy to get to the strip with shuttles (free) . Some of the older rooms are HUGE... very good for scrapping. You can get to Vegas from almost anywhere with a straight flight.... no transfers. Keep in mind that weekend rates are some higher than week days.

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

This all sounds interesting and gives me something to think about. The only thing for me is direct flights only go to Houston, Atlanta, or Charlotte, other than that changing planes is a must. Denver quite often has bad storms that delays flights, but then most of the country is feeling that this year.

Hot and humid, that is going to be just about everywhere during the Summer time. Sure don't want to go anywhere without AC.

Never been to Vegas, sounds like a place that would offer things of interest for extended family members if they chose to travel along. All available for those without a car. It would be interesting to find out if this could be a scrap retreat where all we would need was our basic tools and pictures. If not that then SHOPPING! and of course meeting everyone.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Sewflake

Oh good. So glad you are thinking about it! I'm not into gambling at all, so I would bring some basic tools and kits to work on. We would need to rent a conference room if that's the case. The more we have, the cheaper it would be. I think that because we are planning a year in advance, it will give us time to pull it all together. We could meet for dinner, etc and shopping. However, let me warn you...Vegas is EXPENSIVE. Rooms can be quite affordable, but everything else...

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to bonprof

I'd be interested, could do either Anaheim or Las Vegas....

OF Course, if ya'll wanted to do Arlington GASC June 2015...I'd be in for that one also.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to mjmone

Not sure if this is going to be a doable plan or not.
Seems the majority so far are either unwilling or unable to venture too far from home, which leaves the rest of us to carry the burden of traveling farther, thus incurring more expense.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

You have a point. Well, let's see how it goes.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

so the Moose is soooo in for this because it is close to this place called AMARC in Tucson - like 6 hours away from Vegas so we would plan if we could to come if in Vegas and then we would hit up this place in Tucson and then we would also be going to Utah because he has a thing for Monument Valley (and so do I ) and then we need to see Gin!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Who or what is the Moose???

PS: I am going to give everyone until end of June to haggle over where they want to go. Then I will pick a place. Whoever wants to come, yay.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

The Moose is my husband! I told him about this plan today and his eyes lit up like big saucers and asked me how far it was to arizona!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

Is that the airplane boneyard, Tammy? I haven't been, but I know folks that have and it's amazing. Monument Valley is spectacular. If you're really coming here, I can suggest a few more places to stop by. Ooo, company!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Oh cool! I hope you both will join us. YAY

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to gin1902

Hi Gin,
how the heck are ya? 3 days to go......

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to bonprof

Doing good today~how are you? Is your credit card resting restlessly by the computer waiting for June? Oh, wait, I'm on the wrong thread, aren't I? LOL I hope you have a good turn-out for your get-together. Always fun to meet in person folks you know online and most of them aren't ax murderers.

Edited by gin1902 on 05-29-14 10:39 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to gin1902

Thank you Gin. Are you telling me that you aren't even thinking of joining us?? Come on! You have a year to plan. What do you think?

PS: My credit card is locked up in a vault!!

Edited by bonprof on 05-29-14 11:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

Gin the boneyard is a small part of it but yes!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

Tammy~the boneyard was where the folks I knew just loved. Really, I think they'd have pitched a tent and stayed there forever if they could have. Hope Moose can get there.

LOL~Donna, you don't realize you don't really want me to go/come. I'm a horrible traveler and I'd spend the entire time sick and with a monster headache. But I do appreciate the invite!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to gin1902

Ok Gin. I get it. We will miss you!

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to bonprof

Aww, thank you!!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to gin1902

I'll send videos of all us wild scrappers dancing on table tops in Vegas.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

oh dear - we are going to need a bigger table!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Lol!! Yes we will!!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I vote for Hawaii! Second choice - Utah!

If you want West Coast, San Francisco is nice!

We have to go to Las Vegas in March for a week so I know we won't go back again in June. I really am not fond of Las Vegas.

One of my favorite places is Key West but much too hot in the summer for most people!

Charleston is lovely! And I haven't been to Boston since I was a teenager. That is way at the top of my U.S. bucket list.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to Henri Jean

what about New Orleans - although I think Utah is high on my list

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-30-14 02:06 PM

I'd be very interested, but with my job I'm not able to make a firm commitment that far out. Texas would be quite convenient for me since I live here, but I'll be the first to admit it might be a bit too hot for some. But the good thing is that everywhere has air conditioning! :-) Vegas would be fun, but honestly if I went there I'd probably spend all my time doing Vegas-y things and I'm not sure how much time I'd spend scrapping. Someone else brought up a good point... how about GASC or one of the other scrapbook conventions? They usually have large crop areas set up and you can reserve a full table or several, and they're always at a hotel and usually in a central location. GASC is near Dallas and is usually in June but I'd be open to going to another place. Just seems like a scrapping convention would be easier for people to meet up and we wouldn't have to rent a conference room and all that.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

New Orleans wouldn't be too bad, though it is hotter than you know where there, and has extremely high humidity on top of that.
If this happens, I am hoping that the location will be somewhere central, or semi central. I think a central location would make it more attractive to more people. If it's west or east coast, that lets out a lot of the people on the opposite coast. And Hawaii is totally out for me. I am definitely in the minority, but I've never been and have never had any desire to go there. I also think it would be too cost prohibitive for the majority of people to travel there.
Just my opinions...............

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to bonprof

I'm guessing Alaska is out? LOL!!!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

I would love it to be Alaska, that is #1 on my bucket list, however.........need I say more? LOL!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Come to little old England, then nobody would need aircon.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-30-14 03:00 PM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Darla I'll go to Alaska with you. It's on my b list too :-)

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Vae

Ms Rosey, while I would love to see England someday, I am willing to bet that I would be wishing for a/c while I am there!

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

i been to Alaska it nice when it not cold out there. I don't think I do Hawaii. I would have to do it somewhere easy to get to seen I am not working right now and who knows if I have a job. I would live Vegas or Cali

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Hi everyone! Great conversation. Hope ya'll have a great weekend!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Vae

I'd like to learn more about the conventions!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to bonprof

I like Vae's point about going where there is a convention. That is a great idea!

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

yes I like Vae's idea too - that means a lot less work for whomever is organizing and they always have classes etc too.

Darla - I am never sure what centrally located means in a country that size, but I do agree one coast or the other does let out a lot of people. I had no idea New Orleans was that heated and humid - yuck. Although I think we are planning on going to Mardi Gras in 2016

jens7023
Tenant
jens7023

Hi! I think this is an awesome idea and I'd love to do that! I go to crops in Park City every 3-4 months but it would be fun to meet some new people! I'm in Utah so Vegas, SoCal or Colorado would be w/in driving distance. My top vote would be Vegas though because it's one of my fave places to visit, and like she mentioned we'd be scrapping w/AC :)) I can pay a deposit whenever needed so sign me up!

• chocolateaxel Said:
Okay, my vote goes to Las Vegas. Yes, it's hotter than Hades there, but they know how to use a/c so as long as we're inside, we'll be comfortable. And it's a fun place to visit.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jens7023

Fantastic!! We will let you know about deposits later. We need commitee members for this event: secretary, treasurer, greeters, etc. Let me know if you are interested.

Edited by bonprof on 05-31-14 09:28 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
so far, Vegas is winning. Let's see how it goes this month. Round up your friends here and ask them to join this thread.

Vegas; yes. flights there can be cheap.

Char's a good organizer.. grab her offer of help. I know her personally.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
I'd like to learn more about the conventions!

I just emailed CK to ask when their 2015 convention schedule will be available to us... This year they are not in LV at all.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Sunnydi

Shoot!

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill
In response to bonprof

It isn't as big but try Scrapbook expo. I have been to the Sacramento and Puyullup conventions. I pretty sure they have a Vegas one.

Pink Spoonbill
Governor
Pink Spoonbill

I just checked there 2014 schedule and they do have a Denver one in September. They usually are the same time every year.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Bad time of year.., just starting school.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Or where are the other ones Di?

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• Henri Jean Said:
Or where are the other ones Di?

Hi Henri.... this is this year's schedule for CK conventions... they usually go to the same cities each year...

CKC-St. Louis (region)
Collinsville, IL
April 4-5, 2014

CKC-Portland
Portland, OR
April 11-12, 2014

CKC-Manchester
Manchester, NH
May 2-3, 2014

CKC-Buffalo
Buffalo, NY
May 16-17, 2014

CKC-Phoenix
Phoenix, AZ
May 30-31, 2014

CKC-Lancaster
Lancaster, PA
July 25-26, 2014

CKC-Houston
Houston, TX
August 1-2, 2014

CKC-Charlotte
Charlotte, NC
August 8-9, 2014

CKC-Tulsa
Tulsa, OK
August 15-16, 2014

CKC-San Marcos
San Marcos, TX
September 5-6, 2014

CKC-Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
October 3-4, 2014

CKC-Seattle
Bellevue, WA
November 7-8, 2014

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Sunnydi

and, this is the Scrapbook Expo list for this year...
don't know if they go to same cities each year; but they have been coming to Puyallup each July for about 5-6 years now.

EXPO SHOW LIST
Grapevine, TX February 21-22, 2014
Pleasanton, CA March 14-15, 2014
Anaheim, CA March 20-22, 2014
Oaks, PA April 11-12, 2014
Milwaukee, WI April 25-26, 2014
Orlando, FL May 2-3, 2014
Chantilly, VA June 20-21, 2014
San Diego, CA June 27-28, 2014
Puyallup, WA July 11-12, 2014
Duluth, GA July 18-19, 2014
Santa Clara, CA August 8-9, 2014
St. Charles, IL August 22-23, 2014
Somerset, NJ September 12-13, 2014
Denver, CO September 19-20, 2014
Mesa, AZ October 3-4, 2014
Ontario, CA October 10-11, 2014
Minneapolis, MN October 17-18, 2014
Sacramento, CA October 24-25, 2014

I guess Las Vegas must not be a hotbed of scrappers as neither goes there... hmmm

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Sunnydi

Thank you for this !! San Diego in June would be fantastic! And so much to down there.

jens7023
Tenant
jens7023
In response to bonprof

San Diego would be fun too!

About needing greeters, would I still be able to scrap? I could do that probably.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jens7023

Oh sure. I just think we would need two greeters for friday night. Maybe for the first hour.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to bonprof

The weather in San Diego mild and Beautiful 360 days a year!

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

Um, not to sound like Debbie Downer here, but what is your definition of "mild and beautiful"? LOL!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Low 80s and low humidity. San Diego is famous for their weather

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

I know most people think low 80s is ideal weather. I guess you could say that I march to the tune of a different drummer. I lived 2 years in California, and we traveled quite a bit around the entire state. The only place I didn't feel like I was frying was Sequoia (sp). Though I do like low humidity.
But this is nothing new or earth shattering, I feel like I'm frying when most people are reaching for sweaters.

Edited by chocolateaxel on 06-04-14 08:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I totally relate! Im 55 and I am always warm. I get it.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

I'm sorry! I apologize for sounding so negative. Once the temperatures start climbing, I get so uncomfortable, sometimes to the point of being ill, that it seems nothing will ever be good again.
I have such an extreme heat intolerance, it's difficult for most people to understand or even believe. I've had people just stare befuddled as I melted in a sweaty puddle in 60 degree temps.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Unfortunately, mine has nothing to do with age. I wish I could say it was menopause, at least then there would be an end in sight. But I've been this way my entire life, as far back as I can remember. When other kids were outside running and playing, I was stepping outside and fainting from the heat.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Wow! I am sorry you have that problem. Bless your heart.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to bonprof

Thanks! Everyone has something they must bear, this is mine.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Yes! You are so right! Have a great day

southern lady
Governor
southern lady

I been to the one Scrapbook Expo in Ontario, CA October 10-11, 2014 and it was big.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Where did everybody disappear to? And where do we stand on location? And why is everybody leaning toward places on the west coast? And why am I asking so dang many questions? Enquiring minds and all that, lol!

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics