Username Post: Hoarding Favorite Paper?        (Topic#1597441)
jennypuccinelli
Resident
jennypuccinelli

Does anyone else hoard their favorite paper? I tend not to use the cutest stuff because I know once I use it, it's gone! Am I weird????

AmyWho
AmyWho 
Mayor
AmyWho
In response to jennypuccinelli

It doesn't even have to be my favorite for me to do that. You're perfectly normal.

nanof8 
Veteran
In response to AmyWho

I don't like using the plain side of a double sided paper unless I am going to use the pattern side with it.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-11-14 10:09 PM
In response to nanof8

I am the WORST 'favorite paper' hoarder. and I have a LOT of favorites. I've gotten to where I buy at least 8 sheets of my favorites so that I can use some and hoard some for eternity. LOL I do it with embellies too. And then I go back and look at something and think "gee, I really should have used this on that project". I'm trying to get better. I've joined a 12x12 step program.

Expert
In response to Vae

12 x 12 program......love it.....

cenglanddesigns
Tenant
cenglanddesigns
In response to christiscraps61

Hoarding is a very slippery slope... I have the urge and in the past I used to and then, like Shimelle, I discovered I had all of this paper that I had invested a lot of money into and I no longer liked and/or it no longer fit my current style and I hate it all now.

So bottom line, I get the urge and then I go ahead and use it. It always looks 100% times nicer as part of a project anyway and then you can actually enjoy looking at it, instead of having it hidden away in a stack of papers in a closet somewhere.

Often what I find is the best cure for fighting the urge to hoard a favourite paper is making that first cut into it - it can be hard but once it's cut, it completely releases me from needing to hoard it because it's no longer 'perfect'. Just cut up a bunch of random sizes or shapes; you'll find they work into projects easily without needing to be exact sizes.

You can do it!

EagleScoutMom
Resident
EagleScoutMom
In response to cenglanddesigns

I'm not creative so I'm never sure what to do with the pretty paper once I get it. I also worry that once I've cut the paper I won't like what I did and that the paper will be ruined.

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama

I'm hoarding thevEntire K&Co Flora and Fauna Colection. Includes two paper collections, specialty papers all the embellies and the matching album. I think one day I will use it to make a book of me. I have all of it in one box and I refuse to touch it until I decide what to do with it!

I also have stamps that will work with it and 7Gypies Conservatory paper too.

That's a huge hoard but I don't hoard any thing else.
Products Referenced in This Post:

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Omg, we all do this!!

It's heartbreaking when special paper is discontinued.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to EagleScoutMom

Everyone is creative; don't doubt yourself. Use sketches, pint rest, the gallery to find ideas.

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to bonprof

Yep, me too. Graphic 45 is HARD to let go of.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to southgirl

Oh yeah. It's a terrible sickness. LOL! The problem is I have soooo many favorites. How do you cure that frame of mind? I find that my favorites sit in my stash until they are no longer my favorites anymore.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to olleharr

Yes I do this and have yet to use my BoBunny Snowfall collection. It's so pretty and glittery! lol

Tenant
In response to Cindyckj

I used to hoard but I have given it up. I can always find something else I like to replace it.

And lately I have been making mini albums which use a lot of paper. The challenge for myself is I don't buy as much as they say and I force myself to go into my stash and use stuff up. It's working great. I have started one this weekend and I'm combining an old Webster's line with the newer G45 By the Sea Shore - or whatever that one is called.

But that Flora & Fauna - I did love that collection. I wasn't as fortunate to find all the bits to go with it....

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to nswilliams

wow you ladies are hoarding some wonderful stuff!

I hoarded every scrap of BG Oliver I can find (and still do) but I also decided to use it. But I have plenty left and I have hoarded BG Black Tie since it was introduced and have used it sparingly over the years

EagleScoutMom
Resident
EagleScoutMom
In response to bonprof

I love the gallery! I look at it every day to see what new has been posted. I haven't uploaded any thing to my gallery because I have been too chicken.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

why are you chicken? everyone has their own style and talent and everyone inspires someone else. We would love to see some of your work!

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to Cindyckj

• Cindyckj Said:
Yes I do this and have yet to use my BoBunny Snowfall collection. It's so pretty and glittery! lol

I have at least an inch think of this paper with a dozen embellishment packages. I have also done at least eight layouts with it. I will use it all one day.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to 950nancy

My problem is that I am so far behind in the daily books of my kids. I find paper that will be perfect for some activity in 2006 and then I find that I already bought some paper for that activity last year.

Edited by 950nancy on 07-12-14 06:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

EagleScoutMom
Resident
EagleScoutMom
In response to Ladybing Tammy

I'm not sure why I'm so chicken. I can tell that everyone is supportive and encouraging (I have been lurking for a few years). Thank you for giving me a little nudge. I promise I will post some layouts before the end of the weekend.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit

Hoard? For sure! I have recently started using some precious stuff but now when I get down to the last page of something I can't buy any more, I scan it so it can be printed if really needed. It's not the same, but it's better than not having it ever again. This wouldn't work though for glittery sheets, although I suppose you could add your own.

hcocca
hcocca 
New Kid On the Block
hcocca

At least 10 years ago there were the Cosmopolitan lines by Making Memories that I LOVED. I bought both collection packs and then never opened them because I didn't want to use it up. Well, fast forward to this past year when I was purging my supplies and found them both still in tack. I should have used them back then, because now I'm not too interested in them.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

We look forward to seeing your work!!!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake

I will be watching for some of your layouts!! It's always fun to see a new gallery....... which by the way we all had at one time!

Sewflake
Governor
Sewflake
In response to Sewflake

Oh, by the way, I hoard Maja Design papers and made a vow to start using it but funny thing, I can't find (haven't looked) for pictures to start! I do hear and agree with all those that have been saying how "out of love" we fall with the old MUST HAVE papers in my collection.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to bonprof

• bonprof Said:
It's heartbreaking when special paper is discontinued.

Like Graphic 45 Secret Garden! I've had it on my wishlist forever and now only some random pieces are available...unless I want to pay $85 for a 12x12 pack at amazon or $100-something on ebay. I really wanted it, but not that bad! That's why I have paper filling up my house. If I don't buy it NOW, it's discontinued when I want it.

I hoard BoBunny and DCWV's Chateau Lavender, but I bought seconds of it so I could use one and keep the other one for petting :>)

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to mrsdriver5

Alright...since we are confessing.....Is it so bad that I have hoarded Bo Bunny for so long that I have all the embellishments in their new epherma packs. I can also name the collections to which those pieces originally belonged.

Is that hoarding or addiction??? .....Maybe both?

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to jaxxan

It's both! I am obsessed with Bo Bunny, and Graphic 45 and everything else.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to bonprof

Last year I coveted Bo Bunny's Autumn Song until it was almost out of stock. I finally got the collection pack, loved it, petted it, stroked it, admired it - and put it back reverently into the packet. And it's still there. When I get this year's autumn photos, maybe I'll break into it then. Or maybe I'll get it out again, love it, pet it, stroke it...

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Mememe! I am still hoarding the Bo Bunny autumn line from a few years ago.

Rosey, that's the paper I used for my daughter's wedding invites. Their colors are purple and orange, which Autumn Song hit perfectly!

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I'm bad about not only hoarding my favorite papers, but I also hoard my favorite pictures!! I scrap the 'everyday' pictures, but the ones that are my favorite shots, I keep putting back....like I want it to be just 'perfect' and I'm afraid to work with it! HELP ME!!!!

DeborahM-Mom of Two
Idol
DeborahM-Mom of Two

I've done that, too. Shimelle's got a great story about her special paper - the one she spent lots of money on and bought like 12 sheets of. Nothing was special enough for this paper, it eventually got buried under other paper. When she found it much, much later she didn't even like the paper anymore.

I'm really trying to use my paper. I've got lots of paper from 4-5 years ago -- even 3 years ago that I just never got around to using and now it looks dated. Wish I had spent more time using all this paper back when it was new.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone

Know where ya'll are coming from,

I was very sad this weekend when I noticed I am down to my last 4 pieces of BG Periphery...siiigh

and this weekend I also did a layout actually using the Websters Pages I have been collecting.

so, guess that is progress

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-14-14 02:37 PM

Oh yeah, that Autumn Song is one of my favs. I bought the entire collection with all embellies and lots of extra paper. It's still in it's pizza box all nice and perfect. Every time I get it out I just love it so much I can't bear to use it.

my precious...

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Vae

I am hoarding many brands of paper- and creative memories as well. I know some people don't like cm paper, but I love Vintage Chic and Candy shoppe. Cm stuff reminds of back in the day when I was learning about scrapbooking. It also makes me sad in a way.

Oh yes, hoarding my Autumn song too!!!

Edited by bonprof on 07-14-14 02:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to bonprof

ok ok Gollum! ha ha ha
I hoarded for awhile bo bunny love story paper I got at the 2012 expo !!!
hee hee I also still have some left over secret garden g 45 paper!!!

lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97
In response to mindygail

I think I may be the odd one out. I just can't wait to cut up paper when I get it! Of course that doesn't mean I don't have paper that's been sitting in my stash for a while, but I dream about the day I can cut it up!

OK, now that I've written this, I realize that I may have a different problem entirely...

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to lizzi97

Expert

I have so many papers that I hoard, but BG was my top one. UNFORTUNATELY...tragedy struck last summer when our basement (otherwise known as my scraproom) flooded and ALL my BG was ruined. I probably had some of it from the first collections!! I was SICK! So I now make sure the paper is really high off the ground and try to get myself to use it more often.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to 1scrappymom

I buy paper like crazy but I will use it with no problems. I enjoy getting to the end of a paper collection. It is a good excuse to buy another lol.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to andrea m

Oh Shannon! I can't imagine.

Castle Scrapper
Diva
Castle Scrapper

I know I do this too! I feel sad when I use a really piece of paper that I love. Strange obsession!

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to Castle Scrapper

I have the "problem" with Graphic 45.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Now you will all think I am really strange:

I love the smell of patterned paper!!!!! Is there anyone else out there who can relate??

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to bonprof

No, Donna :>) I was opening Lemonade Stand in my sb order that came today and thought, "I wish this stuff didn't stink so bad!" Luckily the smell doesn't last. Why couldn't they have made it smell like lemons?

I can relate, though, in a way. For others who, like me, are older than dirt, you might remember the smell of ditto paper with the purple ink on it that schools used to use. Whenever teachers would pass new papers out—especially ones that had just been run through the machine, the whole class would be holding the paper to our noses to smell it :>) No wonder so many turned out to be drug-sniffing hippies!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK

Donna YES! I'm a paper sniffer too!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Yes Judy! I remember that smell!! Love it! Lol!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

Rosey, glad you can relate! Hee hee

Tenant

I used to hoard my favorites too. Then I stopped scrapping for a couple of years. When I started up again what had been the latest and greatest was now the oldest and dullest. Yuck. So now I don't buy tons of paper and enjoy using what I have. And when it's gone I get to buy new stuff.

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Artistic Scrapper

Good point!!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

• mrsdriver5 Said:
No, Donna :>) I was opening Lemonade Stand in my sb order... Why couldn't they have made it smell like lemons?

I can relate, though, in a way. For others who, like me, are older than dirt, you might remember the smell of ditto paper with the purple ink on it that schools used to use. Whenever teachers would pass new papers out—especially ones that had just been run through the machine, the whole class would be holding the paper to our noses to smell it :>) No wonder so many turned out to be drug-sniffing hippies!

I love the new lemonade stand collection!! I agree it should smell like lemons. OOOOH imagine if someone came out with scratch and sniff scrapbook paper!!!!

Add me to the ditto list. I still remember my 4th grade teacher being worried about us smelling the ink. Then "Liquid Paper" came out, that was the new cool smell.....it was banned in jr. high. There is always a few who ruin it for the rest of us!!!

danigirl786
Veteran
danigirl786
In response to 1scrappymom

• 1scrappymom Said:
I have so many papers that I hoard, but BG was my top one. UNFORTUNATELY...tragedy struck last summer when our basement (otherwise known as my scraproom) flooded and ALL my BG was ruined. I probably had some of it from the first collections!! I was SICK! So I now make sure the paper is really high off the ground and try to get myself to use it more often.

OH NO! I would be absolutely crazy if this happened to my fav papers! I've been hoarding Dear Lizzy Neapolitan since it came out because even though I only had a boy at the time, one day I would have a daughter and I had to have that paper for her photos. Well my daughter is 9 months old now, and have I cracked open any of that goodness?? Nope!

Sandy Ang
Veteran
Sandy Ang

i used to but have gotten over it now. the only hoarding i do now is have a stack which I think will work well as backdrops for photographing cards. Those get eventually used up too when I buy new backgrounds.

KeddyO
KeddyO 
Resident
KeddyO

I stopped doing it too once I realized that I had a paper by a certain manufacturer that I used to love that now was no longer my style. I'm still trying to use up what I haven't given away. Learned my lesson the hard way. Now if I love it I use it. Plus, then I actually do get to look at it forever because it's in my scrapbooks.

autumngold
Mayor
autumngold
In response to KeddyO

• KeddyO Said:
I stopped doing it too once I realized that I had a paper by a certain manufacturer that I used to love that now was no longer my style. I'm still trying to use up what I haven't given away. Learned my lesson the hard way. Now if I love it I use it. Plus, then I actually do get to look at it forever because it's in my scrapbooks.

This is exactly why I don't hoard. Every once in a while I'll buy paper specifically for a LO and by the time I get around to scrapping that LO half the time I no longer want to use that paper. So no hoarding for me.

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to autumngold

I have to say that I'm a paper collector, but not a hoarder any longer. I get all the paper I can, and keep my pile huge, but I wouldn't have a problem using every piece I have.

Here's why.....I was hoarding.....and now, I've found, for example, I was hoarding really cute school paper....well, I hoarded too long and my kids are now past the age to use that cute school paper! It's better to use it while you can and get to look at it in your scrapbook!

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to heather375

I am totally a paper hoarder but I'm trying use my stash. I recently used a whole sheet of pattern paper as my base which is unusual for me. I typically use cardstock as my base and try to stretch my pattern paper. Why? I have no idea. I have TONS of pattern paper. I am trying to be more deliberate and intentional about using up my pattern papers. I just have too much! LOL!

Shutterbugg
Idol
Shutterbugg
In response to sassiescrapper

I wowuldn't call myself a hoarder because my stash is kinda average compared to some I have seen in the scraproom galleries. I typically buy per project and then cannot wait to dig in and use it!

I do have some paper pads that I bought because I liked them, with no project in mind and they've been on my shelf for years. I am now cutting them up to make mini albums because the papers really never fit into all the "boy" pages I have to do but cut up into smaller pieces, I find I can really use the patterns with a variety of pictures. So I am in mini-album making mode and will use these as "scrapbooks on the road" for when we do weekend trips. I will toss one in the bag with a pen and some adhesive and can easily scrap a trip while on the trip and then add the pictures to them when we get home. (Thank you Ali Edwards for this awesome concept!)

EmahB
EmahB 
Expert
EmahB
  • EmahB on 07-24-14 11:13 AM
In response to Shutterbugg

Hi my name is Emah and I am a paper hoarder too! I buy all kinds of cute paper then have a hard time using it because it's so cute! I have to justify in my mind if it's worth using on a particular layout or should I save it for something better down the road.

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to EmahB

Maybe we need a 12-step program!

1. Remove sheet of coveted paper from your hoard.
2. Hold it, smell it, kiss it--whatever makes you happy.
3. Imagine how great it would look on a page.
4. Choose a photo that would go well (not necessarily perfectly) with it.
5. Imagine how you would use the photo with the paper.
6. Select a piece of cardstock for a background and lay it on your work surface.
7. Take the paper in your hands and cut, tear or punch it.
8. Call a friend for support if you cannot do #7 by yourself.
9. Breathe deeply and let it out slowly.
10. Chant repeatedly, "I can do this. I CAN do this. I can DO this."
11. Adhere the paper to your page.
12. Congratulate yourself for being the strong courageous person you always knew, deep down somewhere, that you really are. (A piece of chocolate or a glass of your favorite wine would go well right about now.)

Repeat above as necessary until the hoard has been depleted. (If following the suggestion of a glass of wine, you may need to restrict the number of pages you do in one day.)

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to Ms. Fit

Your post is really cute!

Or we can do the real 1st step: "I am powerless over patterned paper and my life is unmanageable."

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to Ms. Fit

• Ms. Fit Said:

6. Select a piece of cardstock for a background and lay it on your work surface.
12. Congratulate yourself for being the strong courageous person you always knew, deep down somewhere, that you really are. (A piece of chocolate or a glass of your favorite wine would go well right about now.)

Repeat above as necessary until the hoard has been depleted. (If following the suggestion of a glass of wine, you may need to restrict the number of pages you do in one day.)

Bahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to gin1902

Step 13 gets my vote. Mmm wine...

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

With my horde, by the time I did step 13 with each piece of pp, I'd have to become a life-long member of the real 12-step program! Even taking it just a few papers a day would eventually make me a habitual alcoholic to get through all the paper I have!

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

Oh, but chocolate was a choice! Now that one I can do :>)

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902

#8. Like that's going to work with the friends I've made here.....I can hear them now, "NO! Don't do it!!! They don't make it anymore!!!!! Don't cut it, you'll hurt it!!! If you cut it now, you can't pet it and roll around on it later!!! Step away from the scissors!!!!!"

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to gin1902

justCecilia
Tenant
justCecilia
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
I am the WORST 'favorite paper' hoarder. and I have a LOT of favorites. I've gotten to where I buy at least 8 sheets of my favorites so that I can use some and hoard some for eternity. LOL I do it with embellies too. And then I go back and look at something and think "gee, I really should have used this on that project". I'm trying to get better. I've joined a 12x12 step program.

I do this too! Oh good gosh I am bad. I usually buy 2 of each patterned paper. 4 if I really like it, then 8 (or more) if I really, really love it. And I have a lot of paper that I really, really love.

I do the same with embellishments, just on a different scale.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to justCecilia

OMG I just sold my "Chatterbox" paper the other day to a friend. I loved that paper.

Yah that company I think had been out of business for quite some time now.

I still have quite a bit of Daisy D's too and they've been out of business for awhile now too. I miss Daisy D's paper!

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to gin1902

• gin1902 Said:
  • Ms. Fit Said:

Ohmigosh this is to funny!!!!

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to Ms. Fit

I remember someone once said that scrapbookers are really all just paper hoarders and yeah I am guilty of that. I find it especially hard sometimes to cut up patterned paper. But I suppose if I drank enough wine I would not care anymore!!!

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to justCecilia

• justCecilia Said:
  • Vae Said:

I do this too! Oh good gosh I am bad. I usually buy 2 of each patterned paper. 4 if I really like it, then 8 (or more) if I really, really love it. And I have a lot of paper that I really, really love.

I do the same with embellishments, just on a different scale.

I do this too! I had to come back to this thread because while I was going through my stash, I found 10 sheets of Basic Grey's Daily News from their Out of Print collection. 10 sheets of the same pattern paper! And I've already used several sheets. I'm not sure what I was thinking. But I'm liking the 12 step process or as someone else called it, a 12x12 step process. LOL!! I'm already thinking of 3 different projects where I'll be able to use 3 more sheets.

Here's where I've used them before:
breakfast burrito By Sassiescrapper

Good reads By Sassiescrapper

I found it here on SB.com! They're sold out but at least you can see the paper I've been hoarding. The B side is a text paper with a white wash on it. I think I'll be able to get a lot of use out of the B side.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Ms. Fit and Gin thanks for the laughs today! that was too funny!

I think this topic comes up too often for there not be a forum dedicated to therapy for these kind of topics. There are so many great therapist on here that if nothing else you walk with a good laugh and a smile.

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to jaxxan

I used a sheet here:

#familyfun By Sassiescrapper

Yay!!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I am finally on the other side of hoarding: I have no money for scrapbooking supplies and must rely on my stash. I am having fun and making the best of it. However, I hate it that I can't buy anything, but I will live!! Lol

gin1902
Mayor
gin1902
In response to bonprof

Boy, it's one thing to choose not to shop (the one thing being that it's just flat out crazy~LOL), but another when circumstances prevent you from doing so. Things will turn around Donna and believe it or not, I've really enjoyed projects where you're limited on what you can use. Not just financially, but use only 2 colors, or here's the pile of junk and when it runs out you're done, and things like that. Fun to see how creative you can be with what you've got.

Too true, Jill~lots of very fun people here!

bonprof
Queen
bonprof
In response to gin1902

Yes Gin, I've done about 12 layouts so far with just my stash, and I am having fun.

New Kid On the Block
In response to bonprof

You are not alone, I do this too!! And it looks like many others do as well.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics