Username Post: Do you keep a tidy work area        (Topic#1597449)
Tenant

I'm working on a mini album. Although I always start my projects off with a neat tidy work area, it never stays that way. I end up working along then stopping and cleaning and going again. Kind of a wash rinse repeat thing.

Any tips out there for how you guys manage?

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to nswilliams

I don't even have a work area anymore except the dining table which is in the living room so although everything is not exactly put away most of the stuff is after every project

bonprof
Queen
bonprof

I clean up between layouts, but I always make a huge mess while in the process of creating. Sometimes I can't believe how messy I am.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to bonprof

you are so not alone in that Donna!

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Ladybing Tammy

in one word.....No.....In a sentence, HECK NO

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to PhotobearSam

I clean up after every couple of layouts just so I can pull more stuff out. Some people work well in clutter and some people don't.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 07-12-14 12:02 PM
In response to 950nancy

Unfortunately, no I am a messy!

Ms. Fit
Veteran
Ms. Fit
In response to vawm

I do the same thing as 950nancy--drag stuff out for a few related LO's and then put it all away, admire how nice and neat my table is, and then drag more stuff out for another round of work. It may look like chaos, but there is some organization to the mess.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel
In response to Ms. Fit

I read the title of this thread, and all I can do is laugh! I am so unbelievably messy while I'm creating! I do tidy up between projects, not necessarily put everything up but at least clear the area a bit.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to chocolateaxel

i am like chocolate! yeah I get messy but its not too bad just lots of paper cluttering the table !!

hcocca
hcocca 
New Kid On the Block
hcocca
In response to mindygail

I work from home, so my desk is all business by day and then crafty scrapbooking stuff in the evenings and weekends -- so it makes me clean up after myself... which isn't a bad thing

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to hcocca

at times i get so frustrated with the clutter on my table that i put everything away and the next day i start all over again

Expert

I am very messy when making layouts. I have a small desk, so not much area to work on, I am hoping that changes when I get my bigger desk in a few weeks.....but it probably won't....my guess is the mess will just get bigger too!

CrimsonMama
Governor
CrimsonMama
In response to christiscraps61

I clean up between LOs. I have a Waverly stationary holder that can hold more than one 12x12 pad and embellies to keep everything corralled during a LO. I can throw my Grand Calibur, dies and tool bag in my cabinet if I'm totally done for a while.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to CrimsonMama

Im very messy and dont clean til I absolutely have to ....either run out of space or cant find something ....I wish I was neater but its just my style ... guess its a good thing I have a room I can close the door and no one else has to see how messy I am

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to melissadam

I clean up between projects. I need the clean slate to get started on something new. while I am working though it is a mess everywhere.

Melissa920
Tenant
Melissa920
In response to andrea m

I clean just before I start a new layout. So that means I leave the mess from the previous layout until I start a new one. I tend to lose momentum when I put things away as I am scrapping.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Melissa920

I consider myself "neat" if i have lot of pictures to scrap I will set a day to organize. I have page planners so i will get all things necesary for the layout and put it in a planner. I will 'plan' up to 5 at a time sometimes (as with my vacation stuff now). And I clean up my area nightly.

But WHILE i'm working on a project...all bets are off. I have stuff laid out all over the air hockey table and my worktable lol

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-12-14 08:14 PM
In response to Just G

Do you remember the character in Charlie Brown called Pig Pen? That's me in the middle of a project. And yes, when you get a bigger table, the mess just expands. LOL. But I do try to clean up between projects.

A week or so ago I had just finished making a card, and by the end of it I was working on the very corner of my work table on a 4"x8" clear spot. My table is 40"x60", plus wrap around countertops on 3 of the walls. ALL of it was covered with paper and supplies except that tiny corner I was working in. LOL.

cenglanddesigns
Tenant
cenglanddesigns

My flat is too small to have a dedicated craft space where everything can be left out. I also scrap standing up using my ironing board as my work surface so I clean up after each crafting session. But while I'm crafting, I don't typically bother to tidy between LOs. It's a balance.

Also, I'm naturally a very organised person to begin with and a bit on the OCD spectrum so having mess and clutter just isn't an option for me. A place for everything and everything in its place is very much my lifestyle.

M.mouse
New Kid On the Block
M.mouse
In response to cenglanddesigns

I always try to keep a clean desk. It never works out that way. I am glad if I have a tiny space open to play. I am a very messy scrapper.

AngieandSnoopy
New Kid On the Block
AngieandSnoopy
In response to M.mouse

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! I try to clean up between projects.

Just Nora
Idol
Just Nora
In response to M.mouse

As of late, I am very messy. I do clean up in between projects but sometimes that does not help.

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to Just Nora

I try to clean up between pages/projects otherwise I lose my tools in the mess. Putting everything away at the end of a session is a necessity and her name is Sapphire (see avatar).

southgirl
Expert
southgirl
In response to MisasMom

I once got so frustrated at myself for being so messy that I took a picture of my work space to shame me.

I am so messy and even change projects and layer projects on top of projects. I do clean (especially my mat) in between and sometimes duting projects.

I hope that creative minds like clutter.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to melissadam

• melissadam Said:
Im very messy and dont clean til I absolutely have to ....either run out of space or cant find something ....I wish I was neater but its just my style ... guess its a good thing I have a room I can close the door and no one else has to see how messy I am

This is me exactly lol...EXCEPT that I don't have my own scrapbook room (wahhh!)...I have one side of my bedroom and whew the scrapbook side is a disaster

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to RhondaR

Oh you funny girl! I do try to "keep it clean", but have to admit that doesn't always happen. I did find, though, that keeping a "put it away" box (or basket) on my desk helps a lot. I just toss the things I've been using, and that I need to put away into that box - like bottles of Stickles, scraps, scissors, embellies, etc. When I'm done scrapping, I just put the lid on the box and it makes things look much more clean than they really are! Woohoo! Then when I get a chance, or can't find something, I clean out my "put it away" box.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to dwelch

OH Gosh I wish we had "like" or "agree" buttons on this forum.
Vae, I am so with you on having a tiny little work space by the time I am done.

It is sooooo nice to hear that other people are messy while creating like me. I swear, all the neat crafter live in my area and go to the same crops. They somehow are able to keep their space super clean while making a page. Meanwhile, I am one of the messiest tables there. You know its bad when you can't find the ATG.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I am a table gets messy kind of scrapper..lol

Expert

I'm super messy as well, but I find my room gets the most messy when I have bought a lot of stuff and don't put it away. I always start out with good intentions and then find myself in a mess after a few layouts.

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to jaxxan

• jaxxan Said:
You know its bad when you can't find the ATG.

Haha so true and happens to me ALL the time lol.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to RhondaR

Seems as if I'm not as bad as I thought then! I don't have an awful lot of space, and my desk is frequently several layers deep, to the point where the trimmer won't cut because its 4 feet aren't level. It's always cleared before a new project though.

I have a scraps tray on my desk. Into it I put all the scraps from my project as I'm going along. The idea is that I put everything back afterwards, but in reality I clear it out when it starts overflowing and falling on top of me. I need to do that otherwise I predict an avalanche pretty soon.

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-13-14 12:08 PM
In response to RedSquirrel UK

lol Rosey! Around here we call that a "scrapalanche".

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Vae

A scrapalanche! I like that

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr

I try to clean up between projects so I can have a fresh start. Sometimes I can have a project on my scrap table for days though so it's usually messy more often than clean.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

I am messy. When I can't find my ATG on my desk top, I know it's time to clean.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 07-13-14 06:05 PM
In response to scrap4brains

You're kidding right?

Messy Mary is my name.

I have a nice sized scrap room with lots of table space and plenty of drawers and cupboards. The room looks great once or twice a year and the rest of the time it is a small disaster.

I try to clean up after a work session and somewhat between los but there are always those random things that I just don;t know what to do with that mount up.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to GMFTS

*snort*

I actually do clean up between projects, but sometimes I get too many things going and it looks like an explosion of paper, tools and albums.

New Kid On the Block

I try to clean in between projects, but right now I have about 6 projects of scraps that need to be filed so I can find the top of my desk again.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Momtomy2

Red Squirrel mentioned having a scrap tray on her table to put her scraps in as she goes. When I've finished a layout, I generally make up a card or two using my layout scraps. That way, you already have coordinating papers, brads, etc. out and ready to go.

Cricutgirlg
Guru
Cricutgirlg

I just scrapped a page this morning and cleaned up right after it was complete. That's my style. I clean as I go. On the rare times that I'm a human tornado I try not to stress over it.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to 1scrappymom

I have my area clean then it just get mess when I work on layouts and other projects. then I leave it and then clean it

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-14-14 05:48 PM
In response to southern lady

One of my biggest issues is not putting new stuff away when I get it. The bags and boxes kind of pile up over weeks if not months, especially the paper after going to the scrapbook conventions. This weekend I probably emptied out a dozen bags abd a few boxes from online orders and put stuff away. If I could just do that as soon as I get things it probably wouldn't be quite so bad.

Christy S
Tenant
Christy S

I used to have a problem with keeping a tidy work area. Now that I have things arranged just how I like them, it's much easier to put things away as I work.

Aeryn Kelly
Tenant
Aeryn Kelly

my space is always immaculate. The one and only thing that helps is cleaning as I go. I'm already organised in the most efficient way possibly, so it's just a matter of maintaining that while I craft. This means every stage I'm making something, especially something that takes a long time like mixed media stuff, it has to be cleaned up after. It's not a chore for me though, that's the thing. I like organising and I like working in a clean area. It's practically physically painful being around husband's computer desk because it's piled high with papers and junk and dusty mess. Mine? wiped down with water or alcohol at least once a day and completely dust free. Which, trust me, is a tough job living in a forest with three pets.

paperkrafter4life
Tenant
paperkrafter4life

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I know some do, me not so much, I try but
not hard enough!!!!!

Tenant

I straighten up between layouts but that's about it. I don't keep a lot of tools out and just have what I need, but still. Mists, stamps and inks, little piles of embellishments, scraps of paper--all the fun stuff, is just inherently messy.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Artistic Scrapper

I had a little pile of scraps waiting to be punched, and tiny bits that I didn't know what to do with. Yesterday I sorted it all out and cleaned the desk. It only took up about 6" square, but it feels good.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

I keep trying to reply, but then I start laughing too much at the thought of a clean workspace and can't type...sorry...gotta stop to giggle some more...

Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 07-19-14 12:40 PM
In response to mrsdriver5

LOL Judy I'm still waiting to see that pic of your scrap space

I just finished a layout and I'm working on cleaning up now. It's amazing how much faster it goes if I clean up between every layout.

New Kid On the Block

My space starts clean and at the end of it I clean it up, but in the middle - no. I do try and put the scissors back where they belong so I can find them!

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to TxDancermom

I try to keep clean and pick up as I go but last night I finally got some photos and did like 4 lo so my whole craft room was a bigtjme disaster!!! finally ,... cleaned it up this afternoon!!!

RhondaR
Diva
RhondaR
In response to Vae

• Vae Said:
lol Rosey! Around here we call that a "scrapalanche".

that is awesome lol

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to RhondaR

I wish I could say, my room is kept neat. Sadly it is not. I have been working on reorganizing a bit and just purging.

Niki8130
Veteran
Niki8130

I try to put things that I take out when I am done with them. Like unused embellies go back in their spot and paper scraps in my scrap drawer. But it doesn't always work out that way. So I clean up any extra stuff left out when I am done. (Although that doesn't always work out as well so some days I just have a tidy up day.)

Frau_Cooney
Diva
Frau_Cooney
In response to Niki8130

I'm going to say messy, though I am working on that. I do clean up, but not after every layout. Right now I am organizing my scrap supplies and so I clean up after a layout to make room for the next organization project. Then I when I finish that project it is clean again to start another layout. But I'm being unusually disciplined right now. :-)

Sandy Ang
Veteran
Sandy Ang

i always have a clean desk when I start and don't worry about how messy it gets along the way. will only clean up when the layout's done.

Juansmom
Idol
Juansmom
In response to Sandy Ang

I've read this thread several times...trying to decide if I'm a cleaner or a messer...I have two scrap piles on my table...one of 6x6 scraps or larger, and one of odds, ends, strips n bits. I would guess that they are placed in appropriate scrap vessels maybe once a month or two. I have a small box on the table for my most used tools, so adhesive, pens, small scissors get put away immediately. My punches and other tools are on a close basket...they also get put away immediately. My packages of embellies however...that's a different story. When I finish a page, the packages sit in a pile on the side of my table for an inordinate amount of time. I guess I don't like to file them back in the storage boxes, or maybe I like to see them out for inspiration. Or maybe hoarding is genetic n I've gotten it from my mother...

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Juansmom

The one thing I have been able to control much better are the little paper scraps. You know, the ones that always end up on the floor or stuck to your socks? I have a cute little tin bucket that I always keep on my table so I can quickly brush the little pieces right into that as I cut or punch them. A lot of times I just cut things right over the bucket so the little pieces fall right into it. I find it's much easier and quicker to empty the little bucket when it's full.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to olleharr

• olleharr Said:
The one thing I have been able to control much better are the little paper scraps. You know, the ones that always end up on the floor or stuck to your socks? I have a cute little tin bucket that I always keep on my table so I can quickly brush the little pieces right into that as I cut or punch them. A lot of times I just cut things right over the bucket so the little pieces fall right into it. I find it's much easier and quicker to empty the little bucket when it's full.

I have exactly the same thing Lisa. My bucket is blue. It's about the only thing I have that matches my room.

kelsterjean
New Kid On the Block
kelsterjean

I have gotten much better than I used to be. I used to not have any space to even scrapbook and definitely DID NOT clean up after I finished up a project. I am getting better! One thing that has helped me is the 2-gallon Hefty ziploc bags. When I am working on a mini album, but stop for a while, I throw everything in there (the album, photos, embellishments, etc.) so it is all in one place. Then all I have to grab is the bag when I am ready to work on it again. My hubby says I have to have my desk clean because he wants to start using it...WHAT?!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics