Username Post: Which do you prefer to use?        (Topic#1597679)
Expert

Cardstock or patterned paper as a base for your layouts.
Reading the bazzill thread, it occurred to me that several years ago I would have been gutted at not being able to get all those yummy bazzill colours, but now....not so much.
Sassiescrapper mentioned on the patterned paper thread that she recently used PP as a base, which she doesn't do often.
That got me wondering which is more popular with everyone.
I am now very much a patterned paper base girl, and while shopping, will always turn the paper over to see the other side. Chances are, even if I am not fussed on the A side, the (usually more subtle) B side might be great for backgrounds!
That happens a lot!

New Kid On the Block
In response to christiscraps61

My L/O's are 99% cardstock based - years ago I used a lot of coloured cardstock but these days it's usually white or black.
A lot of scrappers seem to use pp for their base these days, but I would love to know, those of you who have scrapped for over 10 years - what do you use?

Edited by ennajohn on 07-25-14 02:22 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to enna maugeri

Primarily patterned paper, definitely.

Expert
In response to aquabunny

I'm a cardstock base person for sure...and usually white, black or kraft. I like that it makes my layouts sturdy. I have used patterned paper as a base, but usually end up backing it in some way with cardstock.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to 1scrappymom

I do a pretty even amount of both. I love a cardstock base though because of the thickness and weight it gives to a page.

bonprof
Governor
bonprof

I use patterned paper as my base 90% of the time, but I count on card stock for my mats. I love using the card-stock to accent the minimal color in the pp.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to bonprof

I've only been scrapping for 6 years, but I'm another who loves mixing things up. I'm very attracted to the minimally-patterned paper that's in fashion at the moment - those tone-on-tone geometrics. Also Basic Grey do those sort of mottled colours that look fabulous as a background sheet, because they add interest but aren't too busy.

I also like starting with plain card-stock and splattering it, misting it, distressing it, or just leaving it alone and making a bold statement with the photos. It all depends on the photo and the mood I'm in, or if I'm doing a challenge. I like variety.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I should be clear that when I say patterned paper, I largely mean patterned cardstock. I took the dichotomy in the question between cardstock and patterned paper to be the difference between solid colored cardstock (a la Bazzill, as mentioned in the OP) and patterned paper of any weight.

southern lady
Governor
southern lady
In response to aquabunny

patterned paper as a base for your layouts

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to southern lady

probalby 50/50. I don't have a preference. If I use PP for the base, I usually mount on solids, and vice versa.

heather375
Tenant
heather375
In response to southern lady

patterned paper most of the time. then solid to frame the pictures.

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to heather375

I use patterned paper. I can not remember the last time I used plain cardstock as a base.. I mainly use my ac and bazzil cardstock for card bases and my die cut machine.

renwa33
Expert
renwa33
In response to andrea m

I use both... I probably use solids a little more often but I enjoy using both... if I'm layering a lot of patterned paper, I usually use a solid background.... if I use a patterned background, I usually do less layering.

ChansGram
Angel
ChansGram
In response to renwa33

I thought for sure my answer was going to be cardstock, but I went and looked and I found plenty of pattern paper, so I guess I'm a 50/50.

New Kid On the Block
In response to ChansGram

I'm 50/50 too. Sometimes cardstock works, sometimes it doesn't.

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to kimberly.m

I use both also, but use pp more often for a base. As for it being sturdy, I find that most of the quality pp these days is just as thick, or almost, as cardstock. I wouldn't use the cheap paper as a base unless I backed it with cardstock though.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Babylou

I love using patterned paper. When I use a plain cardstock I find myself never happy with the layout. I feel like the patterned paper helps tell the story of the photos. Some people worry about the weight, but I feel that by the time I've added photos and embellies, and then put the layout into a page protector, the weight isn't a problem.

southgirl
Veteran
southgirl
In response to dwelch

Ok I'll admit it...I am a paper snob. I would/could not get into Creative Memories because their paper was just boring and they used a lot of solid colors.
And yes I hate to admit it but I do turn my nose up at "simple" pages. (don't hate me). I like to use patterened paper as a base in my layouts and then I can pull solid color card stock from the patterned paper. P.S. I hate Bazzill because my Cricut just wont cut it right. Wow I am such a snob.

northcarmen
Veteran
northcarmen
In response to dwelch

I have been scrapping since 1997. I have definitely shifted to using patterned paper as my base the majority of the time, although I will use cardstock as a mat if the photos need a bit of dividing space from the patterned paper. I agree with the notion of the patterned paper helping to reinforce the theme/story of my layout.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to northcarmen

As the years have gone by I find myself using less and less card stock

Tenant
In response to Cindyckj

I find that I use cardstock for my neutral BG and pattern for the color BG.

anda11
anda11 
Governor
anda11

I do 70 patterned paper. I do 30 cardstock. I love both though :).

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Cindyckj

always patterned paper!!!
Maybe 2 layouts in my 14 years of scrapbooking have I actually used cs as a base.

Cloverlady
Angel
Cloverlady
In response to mindygail

I use both depends on the look I am going for. I do love seeing pretty patterned paper ad I am a hoarder of that but I also like layouts with just colored cardstock. Mary

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Cloverlady

I actually had to look through my gallery to answer this question! I could have sworn that I reach for cardstock 90% of the time, but it's really 50/50.

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to Cindyckj

I used to only cardstock as my base, but find myself leaning towards patterned paper a bit more these days.

Christy S
Tenant
Christy S
In response to Cindyckj

It really depends. I do both. Though lately I have been leaning towards using patterned paper more. I think in part that is due to the large stash of patterned paper I own.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Cindyckj

Depends on the thickness of the patterned paper. If it is heavy like cardstock, I would probably just use it as the base alone, but if it is thin like regular paper, I would mount it on cardstock.

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to scrapn4keeps

I came to check out this thread and was surprised to find that my comment spurred this thread. I'm definitely a card stock base scrapper although I will use pp from time to time. I love using white, kraft or black as my base.

Sometimes there will be a lot of white space like in this layout:
summer love By Sassiescrapper

Or I'll use pp to cover up the card stock and use the card stock as more of a mat like in this recent layout:

love you more By Sassiescrapper

This was my recent layout where I used pp as my base:

remember this moment By Sassiescrapper

I think in the beginning, I did it because I wanted to hoard my pp but now I just like to embellish my page by using lots of different pps. I'm going to try and use more pp as my base to give variety to my layouts as well as try and make a dent in my stash. Lol!

Expert
In response to sassiescrapper

Sassiescrapper, your layouts are wonderful!.
I love the last one, the papers work so well with the photo.
I am also a big fan of all those lovely layouts around that use white cardstock as the base, like your first example, trouble is I just don't seem to be able to master the look!
I think that is why I tend to stick to the PP....

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper

How funny - I feel like I can't master the look with pp as my base which is why I gravitate toward using cardstock.

I'm going to try and stretch myself and try to use pp as my base more often. I think I'm just more comfortable using a solid base and then building up using patterns, and I do enjoy using a lot of different pp on my layouts.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to sassiescrapper

y all have got me to thinking oh maybey not:
I normally (always) use pp as my base that is all I have ever done, but I really like the sturdiness and clean lines look of working with cs as my base however I do not own 12x12 cs YET!!!! off to amazon!!! ha ha I think someone just spurred a shopping trip!!!

Memories4Ever
Idol
Memories4Ever
In response to mindygail

I use CS as my base and layer the PP....pretty much 100% of the time. I don't know why, I just always have.

c4cinders58
Tenant
c4cinders58
In response to 1scrappymom

When I want to use a PP as my base, I usually pick out a piece of cardstock color that I don't like or won't use and glue the PP onto the entire cardstock. Gives the pages the stability you like. I also buy packs of the just white card stock to use for the same purpose too.

sassiescrapper
Pro
sassiescrapper
In response to c4cinders58

• c4cinders58 Said:
When I want to use a PP as my base, I usually pick out a piece of cardstock color that I don't like or won't use and glue the PP onto the entire cardstock. Gives the pages the stability you like. I also buy packs of the just white card stock to use for the same purpose too.

I do that too!

OlesyaK.
Diva
OlesyaK.
In response to Cindyckj

mostly patterned paper for sure. Most of the "designer" papers with subtler patterns are thick enough. What I like the least is the patterns from those giant 180-page stacks that are very thin, they layer so well but one can't use the whole sheet as a base, have to glue it on. Too bad, I have several of those stacks with patterns that make a great base.
I also love to pieces the patterned paper that are like solid colors but with a slightly distressed look - adore them! perfect for a base, I'll use that side of the paper more often than the other one. Basic grey has a lot of those, tim holtz papers, fancy pants, bobunny, etc.

idlewoman
Veteran
idlewoman
In response to Cindyckj

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess I use patterned paper most often. If I do that I always mat my pics to break them visually. I often use a solid color base when I am going to layer papers and may or may not matte my pics then.

mindygail
Expert
mindygail
In response to Cindyckj

SG--- you girl are NO snob!!!
your fine just fine besides I rarely use cs either i use it to matte primarily!!! I adore pp too much is there a forum for paperaholics??? in need aa!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics